What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo short term IR question (1 Viewer)

LittlePhatty

Footballguy
My keeper league has two IR spots, and we can only move a player there if that player is designated as being on IR by the NFL. So, lets say I have a full roster, plus Vereen in my IR slot. Does anyone know how Yahoo handles it the moment his IR tag is removed by the league? Do I get a notification saying I have to drop a player in order to keep Vereen? Is there a time frame allowed for the decision to be made? Anyone know for sure based on past experience?

When his IR tag is removed it doesn't automatically force you to move him out of that slot. You need the red tag to go into the IR slot, but you can bring him out of that slot at any time (you just have to drop someone before you bring him out of the IR slot). You can remove him from your IR slot before the red tag goes away, or right after, or 3 weeks from now, doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
When his IR tag is removed it doesn't automatically force you to move him out of that slot. You need the red tag to go into the IR slot, but you can bring him out of that slot at any time (you just have to drop someone before you bring him out of the IR slot). You can remove him from your IR slot before the red tag goes away, or right after, or 3 weeks from now, doesn't matter.
Also once his IR designation is removed from Yahoo you cannot add a player. The rules say you cannot perform an action where you add a player. I assume this means trading also.

Any idea when the short term IR designation comes off a player? Or is that dictated by the team?

It's particularly important with waivers, because if you can't add a player with an illegal player in IR slot, it could screw you royally.

Case in point: you have a player in IR slot. If said player comes off IR overnight Tuesday and Yahoo updates with/before waivers run, and you don't have a chance to move him out (because you're sound asleep), it will block any Tues/Wed waiver adds you had queued due to the roster change restriction.

Has anyone had someone come off Short term IR this year that could chime in? If a player's status doesn't change until later in the week, I'd still have to make roster drops to fit him later, but then it's at my pace and with a chance to be involved in the waiver process early in the week.

Thanks!

Any idea when the short term IR designation comes off a player? Or is that dictated by the team?

It's particularly important with waivers, because if you can't add a player with an illegal player in IR slot, it could screw you royally.

Case in point: you have a player in IR slot. If said player comes off IR overnight Tuesday and Yahoo updates with/before waivers run, and you don't have a chance to move him out (because you're sound asleep), it will block any Tues/Wed waiver adds you had queued due to the roster change restriction.

Has anyone had someone come off Short term IR this year that could chime in? If a player's status doesn't change until later in the week, I'd still have to make roster drops to fit him later, but then it's at my pace and with a chance to be involved in the waiver process early in the week.

Thanks!
You can just bring them out of the IR slot before the red tag is removed. As jim k said above, if you have a player in the IR slot without the IR red tag, you can't add a player, so just take the guy out of the IR slot before your waivers run. Let's say you have Andre Brown in your IR slot, you know he's coming off IR this week, but we don't know if Yahoo will remove the red IR tag tomorrow or Friday or Sunday (depends on when the Giants activate him IRL), so just move Brown out of your IR slot now (dropping someone to make room for him on your roster), then your waivers can run as normal. As long as you know he's coming off IR this week, you can still move him out of your IR slot before he's actually taken off the real IR. On the flipside, you can keep him in your IR slot even after his red IR tag is removed (the only penalty is you can no longer add players as jim k said).

That's the issue. I'm trying to keep as many spots as possible available for as long as i can. I want to delay having to drop someone else as long as I can. A Thursday injury or suspension can change things.

I know I can avoid the issue by dropping someone tonight before waivers, but if the IR tag doesn't come off tonight, I effectively buy myself 3-4 more days with him on IR before having to bump someone out, if the IR tag doesn't come off until Sunday. Things can happen in those days.

I was just hoping someone knew for sure when the tag update happens to plan around the potential waiver conflict is all.

ETA: And it sounds like it's team-driven anyway, so it could be any time...kinda what I was looking for. If it's team decision, I'm guessing it would already be updated for today if it had happened already, and it changing at midnight PST, complicating waivers, isn't likely to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the issue. I'm trying to keep as many spots as possible available for as long as i can. I want to delay having to drop someone else as long as I can. A Thursday injury or suspension can change things.

I know I can avoid the issue by dropping someone tonight before waivers, but if the IR tag doesn't come off tonight, I effectively buy myself 3-4 more days with him on IR before having to bump someone out, if the IR tag doesn't come off until Sunday. Things can happen in those days.

I was just hoping someone knew for sure when the tag update happens to plan around the potential waiver conflict is all.

ETA: And it sounds like it's team-driven anyway, so it could be any time...kinda what I was looking for. If it's team decision, I'm guessing it would already be updated for today if it had happened already, and it changing at midnight PST, complicating waivers, isn't likely to happen.
Sorry, I misunderstood you earlier. Yes, it's team driven, but keep in mind that Yahoo isn't updated instantly either. It may take an hour or two from the time the team activates him to when their site is updated. Also keep in mind that NFL teams have to clear a spot on their roster in order to activate an IR player, so there's not a big incentive for them to do so early in the week for the same reasons you mentioned above. Players designated as IR/Return are allowed to practice with the team for a couple weeks before they're activated, so they're only required to activate them prior to the game (not necessary to let them practice).

Users who are viewing this thread