What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You don't have to struggle alone (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member

Powerful. If you're struggling, you don't have to do it alone. Dial 988 to connect with someone who can help. Side note: Well done by this police officer.
I posted this the other day and wanted to share here. It's big I think. The video is just 1:17 but powerful.

I also wrapped with it in this week's Random Shots https://www.footballguys.com/article/2022-random-shots-05

I think the more we talk about this kind of thing, the better.

Rock on.

I've never served. What is it about being in the military that makes coming back to civilian life so difficult? Is it PTSD, sudden lack of structure, or maybe the hard job market?

I've never served. What is it about being in the military that makes coming back to civilian life so difficult? Is it PTSD, sudden lack of structure, or maybe the hard job market?

I've never served either but I think it's likely the things you said. Plus other stuff. But I think the video is about way more than veterans. I meant it to be more about anyone struggling. That includes a ton of people from all walks of life.

My heart just aches for him. :(

I work with someone who has had a few bouts with PTSD...it's rough.

You know what got me? Small thing. But AS SOON AS HE REALIZED WHAT WAS GOING ON, the officer showed him both his hands. That’s great training. What he’s saying is “I will not hurt you”. Humans are hardwired that way.

My guess is he had his hand on his gun and then instantly, he realized what was going and showed the guy both hands.

May we be people who love hurting people with open hands.

Thanks Joe. So many lonely, tortured souls these days. I’ve been much more friendly with people out in public. Sometimes a quick connection can turn someone’s mood around.

Last night I was at a bar in upstate NY and I noticed the bartender was being very generous with his pours. I made note of it to him, and he smiled and said, “Hey, there’s so much **** going on in the world that I feel like people could use a break. So I’m doing my part.” Absolutely made my night.

I think the military is a last resort or only option for a significant number of people. It would make sense for that segment of the population to experience more problems than the average person. Also, PTSD pays so that inflates the reported numbers. Whatever the guy in the video is going through, it is sad to see someone in that condition.

This varies wildly on the service of each person - someone deployed that sees combat/exposed to high stressful environments/ killed or had brothers in arms killed form PTSD. Others might not had much prior to the military - and the structured environment/brotherhood gave them a sense of purpose. They come back without that and just get lost trying to find "it"

Some people go through all above and are fine and others struggle. I think people exposed to that high stress of combat really have the hardest time coming back

Powerful. If you're struggling, you don't have to do it alone. Dial 988 to connect with someone who can help. Side note: Well done by this police officer.
I posted this the other day and wanted to share here. It's big I think. The video is just 1:17 but powerful.

I also wrapped with it in this week's Random Shots https://www.footballguys.com/article/2022-random-shots-05

Rock on.

I hope this doesn’t turn the thread political, but IMO police need way more training to respond like this than with all the SWAT tactics they typically learn.

Heck, we could all probably do with training to respond to people this way. This world could use a lot more empathy and compassion.

I think the military is a last resort or only option for a significant number of people. It would make sense for that segment of the population to experience more problems than the average person. Also, PTSD pays so that inflates the reported numbers. Whatever the guy in the video is going through, it is sad to see someone in that condition.
Great post. you nailed it.

This makes me miss Wikkid even more.
Thanks for sharing this. I hope that guy got help and made it.

Rock on.

I hope this doesn’t turn the thread political, but IMO police need way more training to respond like this than with all the SWAT tactics they typically learn.

Heck, we could all probably do with training to respond to people this way. This world could use a lot more empathy and compassion.
Agreed...when I have in the past talked about police reform...its not about the political football of funding...but about training and tactics and how things get handled. Coming in guns drawn works in some situations...clearly in things like this we see that a different approach is needed.

Thanks Joe. So many lonely, tortured souls these days. I’ve been much more friendly with people out in public. Sometimes a quick connection can turn someone’s mood around.

A number of years ago, I was watching a documentary called "The Bridge", which was about the people who commit suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge. One person, who survived their attempt, basically said that they told themselves if anyone smiled at them on the way to the bridge that day, they wouldn't jump. That really stuck with me, and the above reinforces that.

Obviously mental illness is incredibly complicated, but a little kindness can mean more than you think.

This varies wildly on the service of each person - someone deployed that sees combat/exposed to high stressful environments/ killed or had brothers in arms killed form PTSD. Others might not had much prior to the military - and the structured environment/brotherhood gave them a sense of purpose. They come back without that and just get lost trying to find "it"

Some people go through all above and are fine and others struggle. I think people exposed to that high stress of combat really have the hardest time coming back
I've got a lot of buddies who have served (I have not), and this is a great post.

There's a reason guys who have been "in the ****" often cling tightly to friends from their units after service... nobody outside that group understands what they went through, and having to explain it to others not only doesn't convey the experience, but it's traumatic trying to relive some of it. The proliferation of VFWs and other groups like that are another example.. where these guys can go hang with others who "get it" and know what to ask / what not to ask.

Two buddies of mine in particular had a rough go in Iraq. One saved the other's life on the battlefield. Both are very "broken" men who lean heavily into dark humor and drink copious amounts of whiskey. One is recently divorced (Through no fault of his own). One night I was over his place and they happened to have a few other buddies from the unit come by that they hadn't seen in quite some time. Seeing those dudes together spoke volumes. You don't get much closer bonds than that as men.

Users who are viewing this thread