What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You pick the next crop of HOF RB . . . (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Similar to the thread I started the other day for WR, here is a new one focused on RB. To recap, there have been many threads pimping PLAYER X as a future HOF candidate.There have been 40 players who predominantly have played RB that have been inducted to date. Historically, here's how many RB that played even a single year in a particular decade who have been voted in. Note that it is possible that the same RB could apper in 3 different decades.1911-20: 41921-30: 91931-40:91941-50: 121951-60: 151961-70: 131971-80: 91981-90: 81991-2000: 32001-Present: None eligibleThe most RB inducted from one decade was 9 (since the league merger). So let's set the bar at 10 RB per decade. So to participate, you need to pick 10 guys from each decade to put on the "in" list. Given that there are already 3 guys in from the 90's, you can only pick 7 more. If a player played in both decades, he has to appear on both lists if you select him. I'm not saying all these guys are great options, but I figured the broader the list the better. With some guys still playing, it's not inconceivable that they could still accrue some gawdy numbers. And obviously some of the new breed of RB have a long way to go . . .Here are the candidates from the 1990s (pick up to 7):Eric Dickerson* (already inducted)Barry Sanders* (already inducted)Marcus Allen* (already inducted)Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinJerome BettisMarshall FaulkThurman ThomasRicky WattersEddie GeorgeCorey DillonOttis AndersonEdgerrin JamesTiki BarberTerry AllenFred TaylorWarrick DunnHerschel WalkerRoger CraigPriest HolmesShaun AlexanderTerrell DavisAhman GreenRicky WilliamsJamal LewisHere are the candidates (so far) from the 2000s (pick up to 10):Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinJerome BettisMarshall FaulkRicky WattersEddie GeorgeCorey DillonEdgerrin JamesTiki BarberFred TaylorWarrick DunnPriest HolmesShaun AlexanderTerrell DavisAhman GreenLaDainian TomlinsonRicky WilliamsJamal LewisLarry JohnsonDeuce McAllisterClinton PortisReggie BushSteven JacksonWillis McGaheeAs for the 2000s, of course we still have yet to play half the decade . . .I do find it interesting that there are more RB inducted from the 40s, 50s, and 60s than there have been from themore current era of football. That jumps out at me because there were half as many teams at the time and numbers over the past 35 years have consistently gone up.

The 90s and 2000s have seen the emergence of the "factor back." The guys that catch passes and run. Believe it or not, we've seen less RBBC than in previous erasBecause of this, i think that seeing 14-15 guys from the 90s and 00s getting inducted is not unreasonablefrom the 90s, these guys are worthy:Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinJerome BettisMarshall FaulkThurman ThomasTiki BarberRoger CraigShaun Alexanderwhich would give 11 from the 90sYou could also make a case for Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis and maybe Ricky Watters, although I'm not convinced.from the 00s other than the guys on both lists, too early to tell

My selection every year is to stop the endless whining and bickering over a meaningless award. Kick everyone out of the HOF, stop having induction ceremonies, and rename the HOF the Hall of memorabilia, where historical artifacts can be displayed, some shuffled in and out over the years. When that happens, then we've made some progress here.

my picksfrom the 1990s (pick up to 7):Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinMarshall FaulkThurman ThomasRicky WattersRoger CraigJerome Bettisfrom the 2000s (pick up to 10):Marshall FaulkEdgerrin JamesShaun AlexanderLaDainian Tomlinson

Here are the candidates from the 1990s (pick up to 7):

Eric Dickerson* (already inducted)

Barry Sanders* (already inducted)

Marcus Allen* (already inducted)

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Ottis Anderson

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Terry Allen

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Herschel Walker

Roger Craig

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Here are the candidates (so far) from the 2000s (pick up to 10):

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

LaDainian Tomlinson

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

my picks

from the 1990s (pick up to 7):

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Ricky Watters

Roger Craig

Jerome Bettis

from the 2000s (pick up to 10):

Marshall Faulk

Edgerrin James

Shaun Alexander

LaDainian Tomlinson
I agree with this list, except for Ricky Watters. Possibilities would be Dillon (needs 2-3 more years of top production and another ring), and Tiki (a ring would greatly enhanse his resume, probably another year like this too). Holmes is borderline with longetivity an issue. Held the TD record for a year, and can get broken again next year by LJ.

If LJ could string 4-5 full seasons at the pace of this year, he would be a lock. Looking at 1700+ yards, 20+TDs/year would move him up the charts fast.

Here are the candidates from the

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

LaDainian Tomlinson

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

The 90s and 2000s have seen the emergence of the "factor back." The guys that catch passes and run.

Believe it or not, we've seen less RBBC than in previous eras

Because of this, i think that seeing 14-15 guys from the 90s and 00s getting inducted is not unreasonable

from the 90s, these guys are worthy:

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Tiki Barber

Roger Craig

Shaun Alexander

which would give 11 from the 90s

You could also make a case for Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis and maybe Ricky Watters, although I'm not convinced.

from the 00s other than the guys on both lists, too early to tell
Smith, Bettis, Martin and Faulk are LOCKS

Here are the candidates (so far) from the 2000s (pick up to 10):Emmitt Smith INCurtis Martin outJerome Bettis outMarshall Faulk INRicky Watters outEddie George no way in hellCorey Dillon outEdgerrin James outTiki Barber INFred Taylor outWarrick Dunn INPriest Holmes INShaun Alexander outTerrell Davis INAhman Green outLaDainian Tomlinson outRicky Williams outJamal Lewis outLarry Johnson INDeuce McAllister noClinton Portis noReggie Bush yesSteven Jackson noWillis McGahee  loFl

Last edited by a moderator:
I thin Joe T has some . . . INTERESTING views onthings.  Let's just say I don't agree and leave it at that.
which ones do you specifically disagree with.
While I don't toally diasagree with your thought process, ultimately I think the ones that will be opposite to what you put down were when things are all said and done:- Martin, Bettis, Barber, Dunn, Holmes, Davis, Alexander, LT

- Dillon, LJ, Portis, Bush maybe, maybe not

So that's a dozen guys that I'm not so sure about vs what you put down.

I thin Joe T has some . . . INTERESTING views onthings.  Let's just say I don't agree and leave it at that.
While I don't toally diasagree with your thought process, ultimately I think the ones that will be opposite to what you put down were when things are all said and done:- Martin, Bettis, Barber, Dunn, Holmes, Davis, Alexander, LT

Please make a case for Dillon.

Similar to the thread I started the other day for WR, here is a new one focused on RB. To recap, there have been many threads pimping PLAYER X as a future HOF candidate.

There have been 40 players who predominantly have played RB that have been inducted to date. Historically, here's how many RB that played even a single year in a particular decade who have been voted in. Note that it is possible that the same RB could apper in 3 different decades.

1911-20: 4

1921-30: 9

1931-40:9

1941-50: 12

1951-60: 15

1961-70: 13

1971-80: 9

1981-90: 8

1991-2000: 3

2001-Present: None eligible

The most RB inducted from one decade was 9 (since the league merger). So let's set the bar at 10 RB per decade. So to participate, you need to pick 10 guys from each decade to put on the "in" list. Given that there are already 3 guys in from the 90's, you can only pick 7 more. If a player played in both decades, he has to appear on both lists if you select him. I'm not saying all these guys are great options, but I figured the broader the list the better. With some guys still playing, it's not inconceivable that they could still accrue some gawdy numbers. And obviously some of the new breed of RB have a long way to go . . .

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Ottis Anderson

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Terry Allen

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Herschel Walker

Roger Craig

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

LaDainian Tomlinson

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

As for the 2000s, of course we still have yet to play half the decade . . .

I do find it interesting that there are more RB inducted from the 40s, 50s, and 60s than there have been from themore current era of football. That jumps out at me because there were half as many teams at the time and numbers over the past 35 years have consistently gone up.
Here are the candidates from the 1990s (pick up to 7):Eric Dickerson* (already inducted)

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall FaulkThurman Thomas

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Ottis Anderson

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Terry Allen

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Herschel Walker

Roger Craig

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

LaDainian Tomlinson

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

Clinton Portis no
What do you see happening with the rest of his career?
He's a system running back. He can't do much on his own.Compare him with Larry Johnson, then get back to me.
You are right. Portis is a "system back". He can run in Denver's system...he can run in WAshington's system...etc. :P Portis is one of only 3 RBs in history to have 1,300+ yards in their first 4 years. He is still VERY young...and could very well have many more 1,300 yard seasons (or 1,500 yard seasons) in the future.

I'd consider him to be a sleeper.

Clinton Portis no
He's a system running back. He can't do much on his own.Compare him with Larry Johnson, then get back to me.
That's nice. What do you see happening with the rest of his career?
nothing HOF worthy.
I agree that Portis isn't sniffing the HOF yet...but how do you call him a system back when he's been dominant on two different teams!?!? :confused:

Clinton Portis no
That's nice. What do you see happening with the rest of his career?
nothing HOF worthy.
Thanks, Captian Obvious.A sudden drop in skills and he won't even be a starter next year?

Slowly decline and be done in a few years?

Deteriorate some, hold steady, and put up bad numbers the rest of his career (approx. 6 more years)?

Go to jail for the rest of his life?

Suffer a career ending injury this coming weekend?

The case for Dillon is that he played for a terrible team most of his career and still could end up with 13-14000 rushing yards (potentially Top 5) and 90-100 total TD. It's not out of the question that he stays in N.E. and gets another ring. If those things happen, then he becomes a candidate IMO.The argument against certainly is that he hasn't done those things yet and may not come close to them either. Thus why I think he is a guy that has no chance now but could if he sticks it out another couple years.

I think the original lists are flawed, for a few reasons:1. No fullbacks.2. Reggie Bush.While I understand that most people don't want to think fullbacks, I think we might see one inducted, although it might have to be a hybrid like Alstott. If we're going to reflect the specialization & evolution of the game to a point where RB's who catch the ball increase in value, we also need to reflect that the FB role has become more separate. In fact other than a few guys, you have FB & HB now, not a general RB.On Bush, I refuse to take anyone seriously who's predicting him for the NFL HoF. He isn't even in the league yet. Wait until he's got a few years in before discussing him, but leave soem room in your predictions for the 00's for theguys who we haven't seen yet by leaving room.

Fullbacks as HOFers is a tough one to decipher. There aren't many.The modern era players listed as fullbacks are Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, John Henry Johnson, Marion Motley, Joe Perry, and Tim Taylor.In this day and age, I doubt a pure blocker will get much consideration, and players like Alstott may be worthy but may not get votes when going up against players like Martin, Faulk, etc.As for Bush, that was more tongue in cheek than anything else. Several people have already been hyping him as a future HOFer so I threw him on for kicks.

Emmitt Smith Duh

Curtis Martin Probably

Jerome Bettis Will Probably make it but I dont have him in

Marshall Faulk Yes, and he is still underated

Thurman Thomas Will and should get in.

Ricky Watters N

Eddie George

Corey Dillon Came really close. Had he played outside of that hole which was Cincy during his career, I think he might very well have made it.

Ottis Anderson

Edgerrin James Will probably have enough to make it, but I not sure at this point. Maybe it was that system as much or more than Edge.

Tiki Barber Close, but he needed 1 more really good year and then at least one more meh year after and the numbers would have been too much to ignore. But wont make it as is, imo.

Terry Allen

Fred Taylor Underated but his lost games early in his career will cost him any chance at all.

Warrick Dunn

Herschel Walker

Roger Craig - There can be an arguement made, but I dont see it.

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander - Will make it unless he does nothing else, ever.

Terrell Davis - Just not long enough a career.

Ahman Green

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Ricky Watters

Eddie George

Corey Dillon

Edgerrin James

Tiki Barber

Fred Taylor

Warrick Dunn

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Davis

Ahman Green

LaDainian Tomlinson Will get in baring catastrophe

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

Too early for anyone up there not already listed in the first section.

Hmmm, maybe that means Tiki does eventually get in? Either that, or less RBs will get in.

Emmitt Smith IN

Curtis Martin out

Jerome Bettis out

Marshall Faulk IN

Ricky Watters out

Eddie George no way in hell

Corey Dillon out

Edgerrin James out

Tiki Barber IN

Fred Taylor out

Warrick Dunn IN

Priest Holmes IN

Shaun Alexander out

Terrell Davis IN

Ahman Green out

LaDainian Tomlinson out

Ricky Williams out

Jamal Lewis out

Larry Johnson IN

Deuce McAllister no

Clinton Portis no

Reggie Bush yes

Steven Jackson no

Willis McGahee loFl
:whistle:

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas
Jerome Bettis over Thurman Thomas? :whistle:

This is just a different way to look at the same material. IMO the timing of eligibility, and the competition in those initial eligible years, is more important.

IMO of those not yet in, Smith, Martin, Bettis, Faulk, and Thomas are definitely going to make it. They all touched the 1990s, and four of them touched the 2000s. I think it is very likely Tomlinson and Alexander make it, which brings me to 6 in the 2000s. IMO it is too hard to tell about others currently playing or who have yet to emerge as serious HOF candidates.

IMO, guys like Davis, Watters, Tiki, and Priest will not make it.

And what's up with the multiple selections for Roger Craig in this thread? He is #30 in yards from scrimmage, his best attribute. He was All NFL one time. He was in a lot of postseason games (18), and had 1449 total yards and 9 TDs... hardly compelling (though he did play very well in 3 Super Bowls, with 413/4). I am pretty sure Craig has never made the HOF semifinalists list in the 8 years he has been eligible.

I think the fullback question is interesting. Alstott has been All NFL 3 times and made 6 Pro Bowls, both more than any modern fullback as far as I know. However, the source I use seems to indicate that fullbacks are not always selected for the All Pro teams, so I'm not sure about that. I guess I'd consider Alstott to the be the leading candidate at fullback, but I'm not at all certain he'll get serious consideration.

Emmitt Smith - lock

Curtis Martin - likely

Jerome Bettis - likely

Marshall Faulk - lock

Thurman Thomas - lock

Ricky Watters - not likely

Eddie George - not likely

Corey Dillon - maybe

Ottis Anderson - not likely

Edgerrin James - maybe

Tiki Barber - no

Terry Allen - no

Fred Taylor - no

Warrick Dunn - no

Herschel Walker - not likely

Roger Craig - maybe

Priest Holmes - not likely

Shaun Alexander - likely

Terrell Davis - no

Ahman Green - no

Ricky Williams - no

Jamal Lewis - no

LaDainian Tomlinson - likely

the rest are too tough to call yet

Larry Johnson

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Reggie Bush

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

Eric Dickerson* (already inducted)Barry Sanders* (already inducted)Marcus Allen* (already inducted)Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinMarshall FaulkThurman ThomasTiki BarberShaun AlexanderHere are the candidates (so far) from the 2000s (pick up to 10):Emmitt SmithCurtis MartinMarshall FaulkTiki BarberLaDainian TomlinsonShaun Alexander
I think I have tougher standards than most, but those are the only ones that I'd put in. Of course a lot of guys from 2000s still have time left to impress me. If you really want me to list 10 for the first one, then I guess you can put Bettis in there since his emotional story will get him inducted, but I personally would NOT vote for him.

Emmitt Smith IN

Curtis Martin out

Jerome Bettis out

Marshall Faulk IN

Ricky Watters out

Eddie George no way in hell

Corey Dillon out

Edgerrin James out

Tiki Barber IN

Fred Taylor out

Warrick Dunn IN

Priest Holmes IN

Shaun Alexander out

Terrell Davis IN

Ahman Green out

LaDainian Tomlinson out

Ricky Williams out

Jamal Lewis out

Larry Johnson IN

Deuce McAllister no

Clinton Portis no

Reggie Bush yes

Steven Jackson no

Willis McGahee  loFl
Are you :blackdot: or what? They are both around the same age and Tomlinson's career number are ten times more impressive than Larry JohnsonsLaDainian Tomlinson

Born: 6/23/1979

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 2001 sdg | 16 | 339 1236 3.6 10 | 59 367 6.2 0 |

| 2002 sdg | 16 | 372 1683 4.5 14 | 79 489 6.2 1 |

| 2003 sdg | 16 | 313 1645 5.3 13 | 100 725 7.2 4 |

| 2004 sdg | 15 | 339 1335 3.9 17 | 53 441 8.3 1 |

| 2005 sdg | 16 | 339 1462 4.3 18 | 51 370 7.3 2 |

| 2006 sdg | 16 | 348 1815 5.2 28 | 56 508 9.1 3 |

| TOTAL | 95 | 2050 9176 4.5 100 | 398 2900 7.3 11 |

Seasons among the league's top 10

Rushes: 2001-3, 2002-2, 2004-6, 2005-5, 2006-2

Rushing yards: 2001-9, 2002-2, 2003-3, 2004-7, 2005-6, 2006-1

Rushing TDs: 2001-4t, 2002-5, 2003-6, 2004-1, 2005-3, 2006-1

Receptions: 2003-4

Yards from scrimmage: 2001-9, 2002-3, 2003-1, 2004-5t, 2005-5, 2006-2

Rush/Receive TDs: 2001-10t, 2002-6, 2003-3t, 2004-2, 2005-3, 2006-1

Among the league's all-time top 50

Rushes: 26

Rushing yards: 24

Rushing TDs: 6t

Yards from scrimmage: 38

Rush/Receive TDs: 11t

Larry Johnson

Born: 11/19/1979

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 2003 kan | 6 | 20 85 4.2 1 | 1 2 2.0 0 |

| 2004 kan | 10 | 120 581 4.8 9 | 22 278 12.6 2 |

| 2005 kan | 16 | 336 1750 5.2 20 | 33 343 10.4 1 |

| 2006 kan | 16 | 416 1789 4.3 17 | 41 410 10.0 2 |

| TOTAL | 48 | 892 4205 4.7 47 | 97 1033 10.6 5 |

Seasons among the league's top 10

Rushes: 2005-7, 2006-1

Rushing yards: 2005-3, 2006-2

Rushing TDs: 2005-2, 2006-2

Yards from scrimmage: 2005-2, 2006-3

Rush/Receive TDs: 2005-2, 2006-2

Larry Johnson is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category.

from the 1990s;

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Ricky Watters

Jerome Bettis

Tiki Barber

from the 2000s;

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Marshall Faulk

Tiki Barber

Edgerrin James

Shaun Alexander

LaDainian Tomlinson

Larry Johnson

Please make a case for Dillon.
he doesn't have to - you already put Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn IN and Dillon has better numbers.Barber - 1997 - 2006 154 games / 10449 rushing yds / 55 TDs / 5183 rec yds

Dunn - 1197 - 2006 150 games / 9461 rushing yds / 43 TDS / 3771 rec yds

Dillon - 1997 - 2006 150 games / 11241 rushing yds / 82 TDs / 1913 rec yds - and still going...

and if you need a cherry on top - he is one of only two NFL players to have rushed for more than 245 yds in a game - TWICE - posting 2 of the top nine single game rushing performances in NFL history.

I think its hilarious that several in here put Thurman Thomas as a LOCK, but Curtis Martin is a probable or possible.

Curtis #s are in every way better than Thurmans and he didn't have an all star cast of QB/WRs around him while doing it.

Does anyone think we're at the point where a 100-TD player could be denied the Hall of Fame? I remember when Largent became the 4th guy to get to 100 and it was a really big deal. Now over 20 players have done it and RB's scoring 25+ in one season is not an uncommon occurrence. Alexander might not be a sure Hall of Famer despite the TD's. Dillon could get to 100 next season but I don't know if that gets him in. For various reasons T.O., Moss, and Tim Brown aren't locks either I don't believe.

Team Legacy said:
I think its hilarious that several in here put Thurman Thomas as a LOCK, but Curtis Martin is a probable or possible. Curtis #s are in every way better than Thurmans and he didn't have an all star cast of QB/WRs around him while doing it.
Thurman Thomas led the league in yards from scrimmage four straight seasons and was second the season following his fourth consecutive crown. Martin's highest finish was 3rd.Thurman Thomas was a Scott Norwood FG away from being a SB MVP.

I was questioning some of the comments early in the post until I saw it was Jan 6, 2006. How did this suddenly pop 1 year into the future today? :goodposting:

Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas
Jerome Bettis over Thurman Thomas? :fishing:
I'd say both are equally deserving, but Bettis is top-5 all time in rushing yards and top 10 all time in TDs, plus has a SB ring, so he's likely to be a slight favorite.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Tiki Barber. While the majority will probably say he's not a HOFer, he DID end his career in #10 All-Time in Total Yards from scrimmage. He's also #8 All-Time in terms of YPC (1,000+ carries) and #17 in career rushing yards. I don't think he'll make it givent he glut of other RBs to choose from, but he did have a solid career and flew in under the radar for much of it.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Tiki Barber. While the majority will probably say he's not a HOFer, he DID end his career in #10 All-Time in Total Yards from scrimmage. He's also #8 All-Time in terms of YPC (1,000+ carries) and #17 in career rushing yards. I don't think he'll make it givent he glut of other RBs to choose from, but he did have a solid career and flew in under the radar for much of it.
Aside from the fact that Tiki's resume is a bit short of HOF standards, he will also be hurt by the timing of his eligibility. He'll become eligible in 2012. Between now and then, I expect Thomas, Emmitt, Bettis, Martin, and Faulk to all be elected. That's a lot of RBs. And we'll be able to tell by then how many current players are worthy, from among the likes of Alexander, Tomlinson, Portis, James, Dillon, etc. And of course the HOF voters will have plenty of worthy candidates from other positions to vote in. Even if he was a worthy candidate, he could get squeezed.

He also hasn't played with a pro bowl o-lineman since 2001. Compare that to a guy like Thurman Thomas whose line had something like 15 pro bowls between them while playing with Thurman.

He also hasn't played with a pro bowl o-lineman since 2001. Compare that to a guy like Thurman Thomas whose line had something like 15 pro bowls between them while playing with Thurman.
I have seen you cite this a couple of times. Do you think this fact will either keep Thomas out or help Tiki get in? :goodposting:

Jerome Bettis over Thurman Thomas?

:thumbup:
I'd say both are equally deserving, but Bettis is top-5 all time in rushing yards and top 10 all time in TDs, plus has a SB ring, so he's likely to be a slight favorite.
Thurman Thomas is the only RB since Jim Brown to lead the league in yards from scrimmage for 4 consecutive seasons. He was named league MVP in 1991. He led the AFC in rushing in 1990, 1991, and 1993. He was a 2-time All Pro and went to 5 straight Pro Bowls. He is one of only 5 RBs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing (Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen, and Tiki Barber are the others). He is one of 4 RBs to rush for 1000 yards in 8 consecutive seasons (Curtis Martin, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith are the others). Thomas also set NFL playoff records with the most career points (126), touchdowns (21), and consecutive playoff games with a touchdown (9). Thurman helped paved the way for modern RBs like Marshall Faulk who can run effectively between the tackles but also line up as a WR and create mismatches in the passing game. Rushing yards aren't any more valuable than receving yards, so ignoring Thurman's huge edge in receiving stats when comparing the contributions of these two players seems ridiculous to me.apart from a SB ring in his last season (in his only appearance), an extra Pro Bowl, and a slight edge in rushing yards and TDs (despite having less yards from scrimmage, a worse y/c), please explain how you would give Bettis an edge? Was Jerome Bettis ever named All Pro? Thurman Thomas was a LEAGUE MVP, 2-time All Pro, and led the league in yards from scrimmage for 4 straight seasons. He has similar career numbers to Bettis but his best 6 seasons were much more impressive. Thomas was a great player...Bettis was a very good player who happened to play for a long time.

Thurman Thomas

Regular Season: 182 games, 2877 carries for 12074 yards (4.2), 472 rec for 4458 yards, 88 TDs

Playoffs: 21 games, 339 carries for 1442 yards, 76 rec for 672 yards, 21 TDs

COMBINED: 203 games, 18646 yards from scrimmage (92 yards/game), 109 TDs

Jerome Bettis

Regular Season: 192 games, 3479 carries for 13662 yards (3.9), 200 rec for 1449 yards, 94 TDs

Playoffs: 13 games, 199 carries for 674 yards, 6 rec for 34 yards, 9 TDs

COMBINED: 205 games, 15819 yards from scrimmage (77 yards/game), 103 TDs

in almost the same exact number of total games played, Thurman has almost 3000 more yards from scrimmage, 15 more yards per game, and 6 more TDs despite being outweighed by Bettis by at least 40 or 50 pounds.

here's some more data (excludes playoffs)

Thurman Thomas

Best 6 seasons: 94 games, 11037 yards/scrimmage, 64 TDs

Best 7 seasons: 109 games, 12324 yards/scrimmage, 72 TDs

Best 8 seasons: 123 games, 13549 yards/scrimmage, 80 TDs

Jerome Bettis

Best 6 seasons: 94 games, 9032 yards/scrimmage, 42 TDs

Best 7 seasons: 110 games, 10233 yards/scrimmage, 49 TDs

Best 8 seasons: 121 games, 11353 yards/scrimmage, 53 TDs

if you take their best 8 seasons, which is bulk of their careers, Thurman has 2200 more yards from scrimmage and 27 more TDs. If you just look at rushing yards in those best 8 seasons, Bettis has 10239 and Thurman has 9881. So, Bettis has 350 more yards rushing, but still comes up way short everywhere else.

I have seen you cite this a couple of times. Do you think this fact will either keep Thomas out or help Tiki get in? :D
I'm hoping it helps Tiki, as I think they are both deserving.

If he were so inclined, Tiki Barber could most likely pull an Emmitt Smith and finish as the RB with the most yard from scrimmage in NFL history. Think about that for a second, and then explain to me how he can possibly not be in the HOF.

If he were so inclined, Tiki Barber could most likely pull an Emmitt Smith and finish as the RB with the most yard from scrimmage in NFL history. Think about that for a second, and then explain to me how he can possibly not be in the HOF.
Nobody makes the HOF based on what they could have done. :lmao:

apart from a SB ring in his last season (in his only appearance), an extra Pro Bowl, and a slight edge in rushing yards and TDs (despite having less yards from scrimmage, a worse y/c), please explain how you would give Bettis an edge? Was Jerome Bettis ever named All Pro?
Well, before you ask your question you eliminate three advantages for Bettis. Bettis was named All Pro twice, just like Thomas. Also, some will give Bettis some credit because he sustained his career for so long as a big, bruising RB... very atypical.Look, I think they are both deserving and both will make it... so I think this debate is silly.

apart from a SB ring in his last season (in his only appearance), an extra Pro Bowl, and a slight edge in rushing yards and TDs (despite having less yards from scrimmage, a worse y/c), please explain how you would give Bettis an edge? Was Jerome Bettis ever named All Pro?
Well, before you ask your question you eliminate three advantages for Bettis. Bettis was named All Pro twice, just like Thomas. Also, some will give Bettis some credit because he sustained his career for so long as a big, bruising RB... very atypical.Look, I think they are both deserving and both will make it... so I think this debate is silly.
I think Bettis will make the HOF at some point, but hearing people say that he has a stronger case than Thurman makes little sense to me. I just wondered if there was something I was missing. After doing the research, it really doesn't look close.I think it's a pretty big stretch to say that Bettis is more deserving...which Jason Wood and Evilgrin have said. I was just interested in hearing their reasoning.I didn't realize Bettis had been All Pro twice as well. That's impressive. I still don't think it's close though when you take everything into consideration. And Bettis winning a ring was great for him, but how important was he really to that team? He was kind of a role player, no?

Users who are viewing this thread