What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your annual reminder (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Reminder: one can gain insight from preseason football. By seeing who teams are not suiting up on game day, we can be reassured that their roles are relatively safe.

But by the same token, a big game from otherwise unheralded rookies may not be an indicator of seasonal success.

There are quite a few situations developing in the NFL, and not all of the narratives are going to prove to be true.

This is the time of year where paying too much attention to the preseason statistics can lead your team to ruin.

This PSA brought to you by the department of, “been there, done that, suffered the consequences“

Some one on ESPN (not sure who it was since it was background noise) said something like "While preseason doesn't count, it still matters".

I think the best takeaway as you said, is that depth charts start to become apparent if you pay attention. Many dismissed the possibility of Pacheco passing Ron Jones on the depth chart, but now it's obvious he has. Some one like Zach Moss who many buried starts to look viable perhaps.

Pay attention but don't pay for preseason production.

Reminder: one can gain insight from preseason football. By seeing who teams are not suiting up on game day, we can be reassured that their roles are relatively safe.

But by the same token, a big game from otherwise unheralded rookies may not be an indicator of seasonal success.

There are quite a few situations developing in the NFL, and not all of the narratives are going to prove to be true.

This is the time of year where paying too much attention to the preseason statistics can lead your team to ruin.

This PSA brought to you by the department of, “been there, done that, suffered the consequences“
your contributions in here are appreciated.
thanx

Especially this year: Seems like more of the teams are doing things in the dark (ie Joint practices) than on Preseason game day. Those reports seems to be more important than anything we are seeing in live game action.

That being said...

I usually glean something in the preseason about teams, especially those with positions in Flux or New installs.

Things I think I think from preseason so far:
Pickens will have a role in the pitt O, but don't forget about dionte and Claypool. Trubisky is a limited Qb, but he can run and that extends drives.
The "James White" role in New england is up for grabs. Ty Montgomery may be worth a 20th round flier.
Miami's O line is still a work in progress, but it may not matter.
TE position this year is going to be frustrating.
Jacksonville may surprise a lot of people. Same thing in detroit. Coaching matters. (Fantasywise)
Tampa Bay may be a full circus. Not because of Brady, but BC the oline is falling apart in front of our eyes.
Likely the main fantasy player to have in KC is Mahomes and whichever WR has the lowest ADP. He's amazing, but I think they are going to spread the ball around a lot more.

Thats all I got.

I think the best takeaway as you said, is that depth charts start to become apparent if you pay attention.
A good example of this is Dameon Pierce. The sharks here may be fully aware of what’s happening in the Texans backfield, but not everyone else in our leagues may be.
I’m a little weary. Burkhead is likely going to be the receiving back, it’s not the highest production offense, and this could well be an example of preseason production against future insurance salesmen of America.

But he has looked very good. Could work out well.

NFFC drafts he’s crept into the 8th. In my 3 he went 10.x, 9.x, and last night 8.x, so it seems like word is getting around.

Some one on ESPN (not sure who it was since it was background noise) said something like "While preseason doesn't count, it still matters".

I think the best takeaway as you said, is that depth charts start to become apparent if you pay attention. Many dismissed the possibility of Pacheco passing Ron Jones on the depth chart, but now it's obvious he has. Some one like Zach Moss who many buried starts to look viable perhaps.

Pay attention but don't pay for preseason production.

Honestly, as much as people joke about the Jody Forston's and say "but obviously we can actually learn some real things here", it's the "real things" that often end up being the biggest traps.

Every year I say this, but I wish I kept better records of current year sentiment from the preseason so I could look back at it next year.

So it's not perfect, since I didn't take notes, but Tony Jones taking over a major role was a big story of last preseason. Marquez Callaway as well (though he did start in the regular season, just didn't do anything with it). Of course Jamar Chase and Amon-ra St Brown's values tanked coming out of preseason.

Sometimes usage in preseason does dictate something about the regular season. But there's just no way to be in a coach's head. Sometimes a guy plays with the 1's because he's going to get time with the 1's in the regular season. Sometimes he plays with the 1's because the coach is throwing a hail marry to just kind of see what he's got. Sometimes he plays with the 1's because the other guys have some tiny little minor injury and they're limiting their time to be safe. Coach's have 100 different reasons they do things in the preseason and there's just no way to know from case to case what the reason is.

Honestly, as much as people joke about the Jody Forston's and say "but obviously we can actually learn some real things here", it's the "real things" that often end up being the biggest traps.
And for dynasty, Fortson *is* probably a guy you want to grab and stash if you have the room. But you know he’s someone’s sleeper in redraft where they’re going to reach for him in the 12th round after reading some random preseason blurbs.

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is one of the most important and least discussed preseason skills.

1998 Fantasy Draft - 3rd Rd.
Me: "I'll take Randy Moss."
League mates (mass laughter): "Do you think they're going to bomb it to him all year long? C'mon man."
The guy in our league that usually finished near the bottom did the same thing the day of the draft after his huge preseason game. It worked out.

I remember a few years ago, there was a lot of consernation about the Panthers not being able to score a TD in pre-season...not the first team, second team, etc. They might have gotten one in the 4th game or something. Coaches said, don't worry, it's all pre-season, nothing to worry about. They went on to finish 2-14, with the worst O in the league.

I also remember stud QB's routinely went something like 7-8, 85 yards and a TD before sitting, and mediocre QB's stat lines were closer to 4-8, 30 yards, 0 TD's.

Preseason can matter.

Of course, the opposite side of the coin is the Detroit lions went 4-0 before 0-16.

All it took was me seeing Mahomes hit Tyreek for one long bomb in preseason for me to make him a priority second round pick. Worked out. 🙂

The shift to three preseason games, and the increase in players sitting out virtually all the games, has made it more challenging to assess situations. By the same token though, it can reward those that really do their homework.

Preseason is always tough, but what I watch for is how well 'oiled' a team is. For example, the Bills yesterday dominated from beginning to end and hung 42 points.
Do I take away who's gonna get the ball? Not so much. But I can tell the Bills are already primed for a great season.

Another example. Dameon Pierce. Great 1st Preseason game. Everybody is ramping him up.
Next week he doesn't play a snap. Is that because he's not good enough and might not make the bubble?
Nah, it's because they already know he's gonna start. Yesterday was just trying to determine who's the #2.

Could I be wrong? Of course. But I don't think I am. The best part is nobody will talk about him in the preseason anymore because he isn't gonna get snaps and he'll fly under the radar. I also don't think he's the next Adrian Peterson. He's probably JAG, but he looks to be a starting RB on an NFL team. That's worth something.

Definitely worth a stash. And I love watching his preseason highlights and reading he could be the number 3 target for the Ravens.
My league-mates think I'm the TE whisperer. I keep adding these rookie TEs and turning them into trade chips. The last one was Tonyan. I love seeing that tweet - I would flip him so fast. It's the league I have Pitts.

Users who are viewing this thread