What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Dream Coaching Staff (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
You can put together a dream coaching staff for your homer football team. You can use any coach from the history of the NFL. Who ya' got? For me:

Head Coach: Bill Walsh

Offensive Coordinator: Andy Reid

Defensive Coordinator: **** LeBeau

Measuring the egos would be really tough, but if just trying to get the smartest/best coaches overall, I'd say...

HC: Paul Brown

OC: Joe Gibbs

DC: Bill Belichick

QB: Bill Walsh

RB: Mike Shanahan

WR/TE: Tom Coughlin

OL: Andy Reid

DL: Jimmy Johnson

LB: Bill Parcells

DB: Chuck Noll

ST: Bill Cowher

Last edited:
I'd have to think on the head coach because if I was putting a dream staff together I'd not need my head coach to be an X's and O's guy, more of the CEO.

But I'd have Belihick as the DC for sure. That's the easiest call unless you are putting him as HC.

Not being a prisoner of the moment but I'd have Kyle Shanahan as the OC. A lot of other candidates but I think he's taken a lot of the knowledge handed down from Walsh to his dad and implemented it in the modern game. I think most people who work in the league would regard him as the best play designer in the game and where he gets the nod over someone like Andy Reid to me is that he's not as quick to abandon the run.

how would the 2022 houston texans have done with the greatest coaching staff of all time?
I think if you put that staff that Travdogg put above they would win some more games of course but would still not be remotely a playoff team.

As they old saying goes, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's and not the X's and the O's. The thing almost all of these coaches have in common was franchise type QB's which does make what Joe Gibbs has done even more impressive and I hate I omitted him, that's a good call.

On that note this is why I think McVay is the best current head coach going and who I'd pick at 1.1 if we had a head coach draft. Other then fact he's already accomplished a ton at 36 it's that he's at least made the SB with two different QB's, one who may or not be borderline elite but for sure not the other one.

how would the 2022 houston texans have done with the greatest coaching staff of all time?
I think if you put that staff that Travdogg put above they would win some more games of course but would still not be remotely a playoff team.

As they old saying goes, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's and not the X's and the O's. The thing almost all of these coaches have in common was franchise type QB's which does make what Joe Gibbs has done even more impressive and I hate I omitted him, that's a good call.

On that note this is why I think McVay is the best current head coach going and who I'd pick at 1.1 if we had a head coach draft. Other then fact he's already accomplished a ton at 36 it's that he's at least made the SB with two different QB's, one who may or not be borderline elite but for sure not the other one.
I agree with you that they would get more out of them, but the talent is pretty sparse and they wouldn't have been a playoff team. Which just goes to further illustrate the point many of us repeat that you have to keep trying to draft quarterbacks until you find a keeper or 2. And yes Joe Gibbs was crazy good to make it happen with not much going on at qb relative to some other great coaches.

Measuring the egos would be really tough, but if just trying to get the smartest/best coaches overall, I'd say...

HC: Paul Brown Vince Lombardi

OC: Joe Gibbs

DC: Bill Belichick

QB: Bill Walsh

RB: Mike Shanahan

WR/TE: Tom Coughlin Don Coryell

OL: Andy Reid

DL: Jimmy Johnson

LB: Bill Parcells

DB: Chuck Noll

ST: Bill Cowher
Well done. I would only make a couple of changes.

Still undecided on the DC, but this would be a great start:

OC: Matt Patricia
HC: Nathaniel Hackett
Rod Rust would probably be my pick for worst HC, maybe Hue Jackson among guys who actually got multiple seasons.

A trip down memory lane...

The Patriots hired Rust as head coach in 1990. The team started out well, with a close loss to the Miami Dolphins and an equally close win over the Indianapolis Colts. The bottom quickly fell out, and the Patriots would suffer 14 straight losses, tying the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the most consecutive losses in a single season in NFL history. Many of these losses came in humiliating fashion. They ultimately finished 1-15, the worst record in franchise history. Many of the holdovers from the Super Bowl XX team were well past their prime, and there was very little depth behind them. It showed in a ghastly -265 point differential, the worst point differential for any NFL team in the 1990s.

Rust was fired less than a week after the end of the season by newly hired CEO Sam Jankovich.

Users who are viewing this thread