What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Thoughts - League Agrees To Social Justice Plan (1 Viewer)

GoBirds

Footballguy
We'll still get players taking a knee anytime they're unhappy with something. Contract too small? Knee. Don't like a comment by the President? Knee. It will just be white noise eventually.
This is the thing, the players doing it aren’t on the same page as to why they are doing it so it won’t solve the leagues issue. The league is desperate to stop the kneeling so this is more from deperation than comin from a good place but if they are serious about the cause the kneelers should jump on this. 

pantherclub

Footballguy
This is the thing, the players doing it aren’t on the same page as to why they are doing it so it won’t solve the leagues issue. The league is desperate to stop the kneeling so this is more from deperation than comin from a good place but if they are serious about the cause the kneelers should jump on this. 
Just stop doing the NA at every game.  Its pretty much overkill and has lost all meaning at this point

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I'm assuming they want stuff like from the article:

Money at both the national and local level would provide grants for nonprofit organizations focused on law enforcement and community relations, criminal justice reform and education reform. A working group of five players, five owners (or owners' representatives) and two NFL staff members would help identify future initiatives to pursue.

Are you thinking something different?

pantherclub

Footballguy

That just seems vague.  "Identify future initiatives"  "education reform"

Yeah just seems vague and wordy, I dont see how throwing money is going solve whatever perceived issues there are.  Problems are too deep rooted.  And thats an entire different thread

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
That just seems vague.  "Identify future initiatives"  "education reform"

Yeah just seems vague and wordy, I dont see how throwing money is going solve whatever perceived issues there are.  Problems are too deep rooted.  And thats an entire different thread
Sure. I can see having to clearly define what they'll do. 

For the league though, I'm not they'll ever do more than money. 

Hang 10

Footballguy
Sure, let's crackdown on player protests while ignoring all the other reasons that the ratings have been declining. (Poor quality of play, terrible officiating, inconsistent rules, inconsistent enforcement, player safety, cord-cutting, etc.) BTW, ratings were declining BEFORE Kaepernick was even a story.

You really think punishing the ~10 guys who sit every week is going to solve all those other issues? You really think that if Goodell brings down the hammer on protests, it won't lead to more player/owner tensions, undermotivated players, work-stoppages, etc.?

Come on. Stop looking for easy fixes to complex problems. This isn't a campaign speech with a catchy slogan that temporarily makes you feel good while promising the impossible.
I don't think making the players on the sidelines stand is a fix all but it will bring back more fans than zero...which is around the number this latest move will generate. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Courtjester

The Town Drunk
To me those players complaining about this are in total “goal-post” moving here. They complained the league was not addressing social injustice issues. The league does something and now it isn’t enough.

The league didn’t have to do anything. It is like someone giving you a $25 gift and you complaining “well you could have afforded a $50 gift.” They could have just let this year pass, write it off, and start fresh next year. Heck when this year started there were less than a handful of players protesting as it was. 

All the new complaints center around what “could” happen. Well there could be a quid pro quo. Well they could not listen to us in the future. Well they could take the money from other charities. 

Any step, no matter how small, in the  right direction is a good thing.

JohnnyU

Footballguy
The real problem is a 70% rate of single parent homes in the black communities.  Until that is fixed no amount of money is going to solve the problem.  It all starts in the home.

Ramblin Wreck

Footballguy

Aren't they offering almost $100M to groups such as those you mentioned?

I'm glad most players are recognizing that gesture.  I don't understand the 2-3 that aren't happy with that.  Like I said, it's not the NFL's job to solve police brutality so the fact they are doing anything is good (even if it because of P.R. and not true charity).

pantherclub

Footballguy
The real problem is a 70% rate of single parent homes in the black communities.  Until that is fixed no amount of money is going to solve the problem.  It all starts in the home.
Like I said thats an entirely different thread, but my point mainly was throwing money at groups, who lets face it will just make the execs richer, isnt going to do a damn thing.   Why the heck do players or whoever feel its the NFL's responsibility? 

ren hoek

Footballguy
To me it feels like throwing money at a problem without really addressing it.  I'm not sure if the NFL noticed but their players are overwhelmingly black.  Jerking the dissident players around and then doling reparations out to black charities without acknowledging the reason for the protests seems like a heavy-handed approach to this issue.  

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
Foxsports article referred to this Kipling poem which is indeed apropos:

IT is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation

To call upon a neighbour and to say:--

"We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight,

Unless you pay us cash to go away."

And that is called asking for Dane-geld,

And the people who ask it explain

That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld

And then you'll get rid of the Dane!

It is always a temptation to a rich and lazy nation,

To puff and look important and to say:--

"Though we know we should defeat you, we have not the time to meet you.

We will therefore pay you cash to go away."

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;

But we've proved it again and again,

That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld

You never get rid of the Dane.

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,

For fear they should succumb and go astray;

So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,

You will find it better policy to say:--

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,

Nor matter how trifling the cost;

For the end of that game is oppression and shame,

And the nation that plays it is lost!"

rockaction

Footballguy
Wait, I thought we were talking about North Korea with that last poem. I'm not joking.  

Ramblin Wreck

Footballguy
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowingFollowing @RapSheet

More

Important from @NFL: "This new program will supplement, and not replace, our other key social responsibility efforts, including Salute to Service, cancer awareness, domestic violence/sexual assault and youth programs."

pantherclub

Footballguy
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowingFollowing @RapSheet

More

Important from @NFL: "This new program will supplement, and not replace, our other key social responsibility efforts, including Salute to Service, cancer awareness, domestic violence/sexual assault and youth programs."
Of course

Users who are viewing this thread