What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zonovan Knight, RB NYJ (1 Viewer)

Born to Run

Footballguy
Thinking about putting a bid on Bam in my deep league. The little info I found on him seems to indicate he has talent, but the Jets Offense is a terrible fit for his skill set. Not a lot of info out there on him and never saw him play. Worth a stash?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about putting a bid on Bam in my deep league. The little info I found on him seems to indicate he has talent, but the Jets Offense is a terrible fit for his skill set. Not a lot of info out there on him and never saw him play. Worth a stash?!
While I like to go with RB dart throws at the end of my bench, this guy may be stretching my limits, especially considering they have Hall and Carter.

Rushed for over 2200 yds in 3 seasons, 3 kickoff returns for TDs, never averaged less than 5.4 yds per carry. Also ran behind an O Line anchored by Ickey. Bam is a shifty runner, but also powerful, among the leading rushers in the ACC in forcing missed tackles. 

Some highlights from his time at NC State here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjpE0X8XAw

Hate it if the Jets aren't in line with his skill set as he has potential at this level. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick follow up on this. If you watch those Bam highlights you'll see how patient he is behind that zone blocking scheme. Good vision as well. Not sure what the Jets run but if it's not a zone scheme he may struggle out of the gate. 

Quick follow up on this. If you watch those Bam highlights you'll see how patient he is behind that zone blocking scheme. Good vision as well. Not sure what the Jets run but if it's not a zone scheme he may struggle out of the gate.

They play a zone. Same offense as SF basically, but they didn't have the TEs last year to fully run the same offense.
Knight looked good this summer, but I doubt if he gets any meaningful carries this year barring injuries. He looked really good returning kicks, so he might be active on Sundays.

Zonovan Knight is a RB prospect in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 5.85 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 679 out of 1632 RB from 1987 to 2022

Explosion numbers well below average, agility numbers well above average.

Zonovan Knight PlayerProfiler

NBCSportsEDGE Draft Profile

Jets signed NC State RB Zonovan Knight.

Nicknamed 'Bam', Knight (5'11/209) led the Wolfpack in rushing each of his three seasons with the team, finishing with a 419-2,286-18 career line on the ground with 38 catches for 337 yards. He logged a 4.58 40 at the Combine with a 31-inch vertical and 9-foot-6 broad jump. Knight is a shifty runner with good balance who can bounce off tackles and create yards, and he has good enough speed once he gets going. He lacks elite traits, but like many running backs in this class, he can do the job if given the opportunity.
NFL.com Draft Profile - "Bam" Knight

NFLDraftBuzz.com - Zonovan Knight (Spring 2022?)

Draft Profile: Bio​

Zonovan Knight was a high school standout who ran for a record 2054 yards in his final season at Southern Nash and as result was awarded with a four-star grading from ESPN and multiple scholarship offers. He wound up at NC State and instantly made an impact - chalking up 745 yards and 5TDs in his freshman season and followed this up with a team-leading 788 yards as a sophomore. Knight was hoping for a huge season in 2021 but this didn't totally go to plan as he continued with just more of the same - logging 753 yards and 3 TDs with out winning any major awards in the process.

Scouting Report: Strengths​

• Perfect size for the position at 5'11" and 210 lbs
  • Very explosive with good straight-line speed
  • Very patient with good vision behind the line
  • Has all the moves posses a quality stiff arm and an even more impressive spin move
  • A willing pass blocker who always gives full effort and rarely gives up on a play
  • Soft hands although not used much in the passing game
  • Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than expected.
  • Flashes initial burst and good lateral quickness to sidestep defenders or bounce runs outside with very good foot quickness. Displays very good feel as an inside and outside runner with above average vision to make sharp cuts - good patience· and footwork to pick through defenses.
  • Equally adept as an off tackle runner as an outside threat

Scouting Report: Weaknesses​

• Very little experience as a receiver
  • Despite giving every effort as a pass blocker he often gets beat by oncoming rushers
  • Has a shoulder injury which will need to be checked out by NFL medical staff
  • Does not always read blocks behind pulling guards. He may not be big enough to move piles at the next level and has a tendency to bury his head too soon.
  • Despite being the featured back at NC State he has never put up monster numbers or dominated at the college level

Scouting Report: Summary​

Zonovan Knight has all the athletic talents you look for in a featured pro back, ideal size, good speed with a natural feel for finding holes in the line. He, however, has never really hit the highs we would have liked and in three years as a featured back at NC State he's put up a respectable but not fantastic 2286 yards. He also is inexperienced as a receiver and so he will be looked at as a prospect with a few question marks. We grade Knight as a likely mid-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft with the potential to develop into an eventual three-down NFL starter as he improves his receiving and pass blocking skills.

Zonovan Knight rushed 14 times for 69 yards in the Jets’ Week 12 win over the Bears, adding three receptions for an addition 34 yards.

Knight was a surprise active player today for the Jets[..]; In his first action of the season he started out splitting time with Michael Carter until he went down with injury. From that point on Knight carried the load and ended with 17 effective touches. The severity of Carter’s injury is not yet known, but Knight could be the waiver wire pick up of the week with James Robinson seemingly an afterthought.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Looked really good yesterday. From Saleh’s comments, they brought him up because he runs hard downhill, something that they haven’t been getting much of since Breece went down.

As far as fantasy value goes if Carter is out, definitely work a speculative pickup. But I think it still might be a three headed monster with Robinson back in the fold. Bam and/or Ty would likely be the receiving option - which is big with White as a check down artist - but still hard to know how the whole pie would be split.

Looked really good yesterday. From Saleh’s comments, they brought him up because he runs hard downhill, something that they haven’t been getting much of since Breece went down.

As far as fantasy value goes if Carter is out, definitely work a speculative pickup. But I think it still might be a three headed monster with Robinson back in the fold. Bam and/or Ty would likely be the receiving option - which is big with White as a check down artist - but still hard to know how the whole pie would be split.

I agree it's almost certainly a timeshare spread across all of them, but how exactly does a healthy scratch = back in the fold

I agree it's almost certainly a timeshare spread across all of them, but how exactly does a healthy scratch = back in the fold
Probably a numbers game, but by in the mix, I don’t expect a big role out of Robinson.

Saleh & Co. have never been a ride one horse guy. Even Breece Hall had to share - and sit behind Carter at first - before it was clear that they couldn’t keep him off the field.

Robinson clearly isn’t the same guy he was his rookie year, but can still be used here and there to get some tough yards and, perhaps most importantly, be a valued asset in pass protection.

IDK but Zonovan was in on 48% of offensive snaps (30) and 48% of ST snaps (12).

Robinson is a lead back, not a great one this season but he knows the role. Don't expect him to simply disappear.

Then again, WTFDIK? Total speculation. All I know is I am highly unlikely to recommend any Jet RB this week.

The only Jet RB with a super defined role is Ty Johnson... 3rd downs, hurry-up O and he'll see more run in garbage time. Everything else is up for grabs, however it seems Carter avoided a high-ankle sprain and might play this week. If he doesn't it'll probably be between Robinson and Knight assuming the Jets aren't being the same ol' Jets. :<_<:

Last edited:
Guess I am the only one thinking Robinson will be the #1 as long as he is healthy.
Nothing is off the table, but I just don't see it the way he's been running. He may have a role, but I doubt he will get a big workload. I expect them to be pass heavier than usual in the next two games against the Vikings and Bills, so that may marginalize Robinson a bit more in the near term.

Guess I am the only one thinking Robinson will be the #1 as long as he is healthy.
Nothing is off the table, but I just don't see it the way he's been running. He may have a role, but I doubt he will get a big workload. I expect them to be pass heavier than usual in the next two games against the Vikings and Bills, so that may marginalize Robinson a bit more in the near term.
I could see that. I just feel if the Jets are serious about making a run, might be better to have the veteran in there with White. Unless his leg is bothering him after a string start, I don't see why they would trade for him if they didn't think he would contribute.

I could see that. I just feel if the Jets are serious about making a run, might be better to have the veteran in there with White. Unless his leg is bothering him after a string start, I don't see why they would trade for him if they didn't think he would contribute.
Maybe they expected more from him - only the coaching staff knows. At least it wasn't a big price they paid.

Same thing is happening with Hines in Buffalo...maybe they aren't getting what they thought they were.

Same thing is happening with Hines in Buffalo...maybe they aren't getting what they thought they were.
Long list of those types. <cough> Allen Robinson </cough>

Yup...gotta believe the Pats would like to be using Agholor and Jonnu's money elsewhere.

I would have made a waiver wire claim on this guy if only his nickname was “Bam Bam” but with just a single “Bam” for a nickname - well you just can’t trust that in fantasy football.
You don't remember Bam Morris?

I do and it reinforces my point:

Bam Morris career stats

Bam Morris Wikipedia

Excerpt:

Morris has become more well known for his off-field legal troubles than his football prowess. On June 27, 1996, Morris pleaded guilty to felony possession of marijuana in a plea bargain deal in front of a Rockwall County, Texas judge. Police testified that they found 6 pounds of marijuana during a traffic stop. He was fined $7,000 and sentenced to 200 hours of community service and six years' probation.[3]

He was cut by the Steelers after the guilty plea and signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. After two seasons, both marked with suspensions concerning the NFL's substance abuse policy, Morris was released. He signed with the Chicago Bears the following year, but was cut after playing in only two regular season games. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Morris pleaded guilty in August 2001 to two counts of federal drug trafficking and was sentenced to 30 months in prison. As part of the plea bargain, Morris admitted to distributing more than 100 kilograms of marijuana in the Kansas City area between 1998 and 2000.[4]

On September 10, 2001, Morris was convicted of violating his parole stemming from his 1996 plea bargain and sentenced to 10 years in a Texas prison. He was released early on February 29, 2004.

Yup...gotta believe the Pats would like to be using Agholor and Jonnu's money elsewhere.

Well, Agholor has always been Agholor. :p

I would have made a waiver wire claim on this guy if only his nickname was “Bam Bam” but with just a single “Bam” for a nickname - well you just can’t trust that in fantasy football.
You don't remember Bam Morris?

I do and it reinforces my point:

Bam Morris career stats

Bam Morris Wikipedia

Excerpt:

Morris has become more well known for his off-field legal troubles than his football prowess. On June 27, 1996, Morris pleaded guilty to felony possession of marijuana in a plea bargain deal in front of a Rockwall County, Texas judge. Police testified that they found 6 pounds of marijuana during a traffic stop. He was fined $7,000 and sentenced to 200 hours of community service and six years' probation.[3]

He was cut by the Steelers after the guilty plea and signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. After two seasons, both marked with suspensions concerning the NFL's substance abuse policy, Morris was released. He signed with the Chicago Bears the following year, but was cut after playing in only two regular season games. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Morris pleaded guilty in August 2001 to two counts of federal drug trafficking and was sentenced to 30 months in prison. As part of the plea bargain, Morris admitted to distributing more than 100 kilograms of marijuana in the Kansas City area between 1998 and 2000.[4]

On September 10, 2001, Morris was convicted of violating his parole stemming from his 1996 plea bargain and sentenced to 10 years in a Texas prison. He was released early on February 29, 2004.

Yeah, you can see what people complain about when they talk about ruining someone's life over marijuana! Yikes :shock:

Thinking about picking him in a league with no viable options on the wire at RB. To do so though, I'd have to drop James Robinson or Hubbard. Jets fans, any thoughts? @rockaction?

Thinking about picking him in a league with no viable options on the wire at RB. To do so though, I'd have to drop James Robinson or Hubbard. Jets fans, any thoughts? @rockaction?
Listening to Saleh’s comments when asked about a Bam makes me think he’s worth adding. He fits their scheme really well.

Last edited:
Assuming re-draft, at this point in the season, could you actually see yourself starting Robinson or Hubbard? I think if you’re to that point you’re pretty well screwed. Might as well dump one of them and take a swing at a guy like Knight who still offers potential upside.

Assuming re-draft, at this point in the season, could you actually see yourself starting Robinson or Hubbard? I think if you’re to that point you’re pretty well screwed. Might as well dump one of them and take a swing at a guy like Knight who still offers potential upside.
Agree with this. Among those three, I think Bam has the most upside at this point, albeit certainly not without risk of being mired in an RBBC. Robinson had his chance to take over the backfield, and it didn't happen. Not to say he won't be in the mix going forward, but I doubt it would be in a prominent role. Hubbard is JAG and behind Foreman in a pretty weak offense.

Because one of the guys that were active over him will be out.

Would you rather have Zonovan over a Mattison caliber handcuff at this point?
Guess it depends on the league and your team composition - how many handcuffs at the Mattison level are out there?
Not many. Didn’t mean it to be a veiled assistant coach question. Just trying to gauge value in this part of the season where starters go down and handcuffs win leagues.

Do we think this UDFA Zonovan could pick up the Breece Hall mantle and become the primary ball carrier in his range of outcomes? If so, I think he’s better than a premium handcuff. But I’m not sure if he will.

Guess it depends on the league and your team composition - how many handcuffs at the Mattison level are out there?
Not many. Didn’t mean it to be a veiled assistant coach question. Just trying to gauge value in this part of the season where starters go down and handcuffs win leagues.

Do we think this UDFA Zonovan could pick up the Breece Hall mantle and become the primary ball carrier in his range of outcomes? If so, I think he’s better than a premium handcuff. But I’m not sure if he will.
No worries. I think it's in the range of outcomes that Knight becomes the bellcow, but it's not really Saleh's style to have one. Breece was obviously different in that regard. It's hard to figure out how the backfield will shape up, but have to think Bam will have a role. How big that is remains to be seen, and a lot depends on Carter's health.

Probably doesn't help much, but I'd rather take a chance on a guy with fresh legs that just showed out and *could* have a reasonably sized role, as opposed to just waiting on an injury from a starter.

I'd lean yes in PPR for ROS. Matchups are about even but Bam has a true dump off king at QB and he's definitely seeing the field whereas Mattison needs a Cook injury to provide real value.

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt believes RB Zonovan Knight has earned a role in the Jets backfield regardless of Michael Carter's ankle injury.​

Knight totaled 103 yards on 17 touches in his Week 12 debut against the Bears, and drew praise from Jets coaches, including head coach Robert Saleh. “He was juicy as a runner, getting north and south,” Saleh said, adding Knight was active over James Robinson because his running style better fit what the Jets wanted in the rush offense. “He’s a one-cut runner, which is kind of the staple of our scheme, and he played fast, he played physical.” Only five running backs had a higher yards before contact per carry than Knight (nicknamed Bam) in Week 12. Knight, who rushed for 2,287 yards and 18 touchdowns in three seasons as North Carolina State, should be claimed off waivers this week. He's unlikely to see an every-down role without a series of backfield injuries for the Jets.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 30, 2022, 8:39 AM ET

I'd lean yes in PPR for ROS. Matchups are about even but Bam has a true dump off king at QB and he's definitely seeing the field whereas Mattison needs a Cook injury to provide real value.
Agree on White being a dump off king, but don't rule out Ty Johnson also taking on that 3rd down role. In limited playing time with the Jets, that has often been his spot.

Agree on White being a dump off king, but don't rule out Ty Johnson also taking on that 3rd down role. In limited playing time with the Jets, that has often been his spot.
Good point on Johnson's 3rd down role. I'm wondering who will get the nod for RZ packages.

Giddy up! I grabbed him in a ton of spots tonight, though Hasty is the one that went for the most FAAB generally. Got him in many as well. This guy Bam is shaping up nicely as a potential late season league winner.

Users who are viewing this thread