What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tatum Bell begins his takeover (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
For a rookie coming into his first game where he got to tote the rock behind a 2nd string offensive line Tatum Bell didn't do to bad.On his only GL run he got it in on his first try and while he did error a couple of times it was a good first game for a rookie who could with time take over Denver's starting RB role.Thoughts ???

Copied from another thread:It didn't help Bell that he was playing with the second & third string O against the Cards starting D in the first half, but he certainly didn't overwhelm by any means.He did score a TD, which was a good sign. He did fumble on a long run, which was a bad sign.Personally, I still think Bell's running style fits the DEN O better. He runs with more power than Griffin does (I know, I know, Griffin lovers, but it's the truth), but Griffin is much more of a receiving threat out of the backfield (so far - they really made no attempt to throw to Bell even when he was out on pass routes. The DEN QBs made a concerted effort to throw the ball downfield).Bell did a good job picking up blitzes & is not afraid to stick his nose in on blocking, so the argument that Griffin is a better blocker is pretty much a draw, from what I've seen.Griffin wasn't overly impressive this preseason, but then neither was Bell. So that gives the nod to the vet, but I don't think Griffin has done enough to plant Bell on the bench permanetly by any means. I do think that Shanahan favors more of a power runner, so as Bell learns the pro game & the DEN O, we'll start seeing more & more of him.This is just a wait-and-see proposition, and by week 8 the situation may not be any more resolved than it is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of the times Tatum got stuffed for negative yaradage was not his fault at allhe read the holes properly but had no where to go - this can be attributed to the 2nd and 3rd string offensive lineman.However he still managed a few nice runs and a touchdown to boot - Shanny must take notice of this.

Another thing to make note of. Say what you will about Shanny, he is very loyal to his starters. He doesn't yank them unless they are underperforming such as fumbles. Bell will not be a threat to Griffin. Griffin is in control of his destiny. If he takes care of the rock and makes his blitz blocks he will be the starter all year. Shanny will not yank him for the sake of Bell to get in. I think this point has been missed so far by most.

Another thing to make note of. Say what you will about Shanny, he is very loyal to his starters. He doesn't yank them unless they are underperforming such as fumbles. Bell will not be a threat to Griffin. Griffin is in control of his destiny. If he takes care of the rock and makes his blitz blocks he will be the starter all year. Shanny will not yank him for the sake of Bell to get in. I think this point has been missed so far by most.
Why was Gary yanked when Portis took over ???Injury ???

Looking through the play by play, it certainly appears that Tater had quite a few stuffs and got hit in the backfield..........I just can't see Shanahan putting up with production like that......../toungeoutofcheek

I think most of the times Tatum got stuffed for negative yaradage was not his fault at all
If this was Q who got stuffed would you're interpretation be so kind?
Yes if he was playing behind a 2nd/3rd string offensive line against a 1st string NFL D
:rolleyes: You people crack me up. Is bell even ahead of Galloway on the depth chart?

Three words, 'vaunted Cardinal defense', and his big gains were against the scrubs in the 2nd half.Remember the consistancy argument?Bell:5,-1,1,2,6,12,2,0,-2,1,4,1,7,21(fumble), 4,5td, -1, 210/18 carries stuffed for 2 yds or less, 55.6%In the first half it was 7/10 or 70%.Now wasn't the knock on Q that he was stuffed like 45% of the time? By that rationale Bell should be on a bus home. Consistancy police?

Shanny isn't afraid to make changes before the season, but usually does stick with his guy (if he stays healthy) once the season starts.

Mcdaddy, if you're not sure look it up. Gary was coming off a broken leg injury. Denver started the year RBBC using Gary, Anderson and Portis. They were not settled on a starter. I'm not sure but I think Anderson was coming off an injury as well. In any case, they had not settled on a starter and were using all 3. By game 5 Portis was the starter and the rest is history.

I just love the Tatum Bell owners. Hope springs eternal, LOL. :rotflmao: The only way Tatum Bell sees the field this year is if Griffin gets hurt or plays himself out of a job. Has there been any indication of that in the preseason? Fumbling issues? Lots of negative yardage? I think not.This is not the Portis situation all over again. Gary couldn't run himself out of a paper bag, which led leather face to make a change mid-season because Portis was more explosive. Q has the moves, speed, and the home run hitting ability, but he's not as big as Bell. So, I don't see Bell getting an opportunity this season unless he goes down with an injury.

I just love the Tatum Bell owners. Hope springs eternal, LOL. :rotflmao: The only way Tatum Bell sees the field this year is if Griffin gets hurt or plays himself out of a job. Has there been any indication of that in the preseason? Fumbling issues? Lots of negative yardage? I think not.This is not the Portis situation all over again. Gary couldn't run himself out of a paper bag, which led leather face to make a change mid-season because Portis was more explosive. Q has the moves, speed, and the home run hitting ability, but he's not as big as Bell. So, I don't see Bell getting an opportunity this season unless he goes down with an injury.
We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not

We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.

This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not
Now that is a good point. We'll know a lot more about Denvers backfield after the first 2 weeks of the season.

QUOTE  We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not Now that is a good point. We'll know a lot more about Denvers backfield after the first 2 weeks of the season.
Actually, Quentin carried it 28 times agains Indy and 21 times against GB last year. Don't remember him getting broke in those games.Tatum on the otherhand, has had 27 carries of preseason ball.

QUOTE  We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not Now that is a good point. We'll know a lot more about Denvers backfield after the first 2 weeks of the season.
Actually, Quentin carried it 28 times agains Indy and 21 times against GB last year. Don't remember him getting broke in those games.Tatum on the otherhand, has had 27 carries of preseason ball.
My point exactlySoft Indy Def on Turf28 Carries for 136 Yards4.9 YPCThe following week ( yes only 1 week later)GB Def on grass21 carries for 74 Yards3.5 YPCDo we notice a pattern ???I think Griffin will break down and probably by the 4th game as well.All those shots from 6'2 230lbs linebackers takes a toll on a smaller frame. Remember this guy isn't gonna get arm tackled like Barry Sanders. He will take some good licks. Can he hold up ???

QUOTE We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not Now that is a good point. We'll know a lot more about Denvers backfield after the first 2 weeks of the season.
Yeah, and he rushed for a combined 210 yds in those games with another 45 yds receiving. Oh, how soon they forget.... :rolleyes:

QUOTE We still haven't seen Q carry the rock 20-25 times a game on a consistent basis.This will be a very big deciding factor - whether he can finish games strong or not Now that is a good point. We'll know a lot more about Denvers backfield after the first 2 weeks of the season.
My point exactlySoft Indy Def on Turf28 Carries for 136 Yards4.9 YPCThe following week ( yes only 1 week later)GB Def on grass21 carries for 74 Yards3.5 YPCDo we notice a pattern ???I think Griffin will break down and probably by the 4th game as well.All those shots from 6'2 230lbs linebackers takes a toll on a smaller frame. Remember this guy isn't gonna get arm tackled like Barry Sanders. He will take some good licks. Can he hold up ???
2 weeks and you are calling it a "pattern"? :rolleyes:

I think most of the times Tatum got stuffed for negative yaradage was not his fault at allhe read the holes properly but had no where to go - this can be attributed to the 2nd and 3rd string offensive lineman.However he still managed a few nice runs and a touchdown to boot - Shanny must take notice of this.
Could you explain how he read his holes properly. I didn't get to watch the game and am not sure excactly what your talking about. Denver uses a Zone blocking scheme and he doesn't really read holes he finds them. So did the holes collapse to fast or did he just not find any?Thanks for the info.

I think your actual point is that the Pack was above average against the rush. Its OK, I'll interpret the data for you.Greenbay (according to NFL.com):Rushing Yds per Game Rank: 10Average Yds per Rush: 4.1Total Rushing TD's scored against: 10

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: @ calling two weeks a "pattern".some people are helpless. talk about fitting a square peg into a round hole.

My point exactlySoft Indy Def on Turf28 Carries for 136 Yards4.9 YPCThe following week ( yes only 1 week later)GB Def on grass21 carries for 74 Yards3.5 YPCDo we notice a pattern ???
Actually....I don't see how this makes your point, but it's always great when people pull out the GB game as a reason why Quetin can't run on grass.Why don't we go back and look at who else played that game. Hmmm, QB's of Danny freakin Kannel and Jarious Jackson..........Can't imagine that the GB D was cheating up for the run with those gunslingers in pocket.

It seems that some guys on this board will not let the facts get in the way of a good argument. They see what they want to see and that's final. I can understand when you have something to base a point on but the Bell arument is merely based on hope. Ignore the fact that Shanny said Griffin is the starter because obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about. ;)

You guys make excuses for Q Griffin when he runs with 2nd stringers but so far Tatum Bell has only run with 2nd Stringers and has not had a chance to run with the 1st string offenceApples to Apples my friends.You say i cannot distinguish a pattern based on 2 games that Griffin played last year but you choose to judge Tatum Bell on less than 30 carries in pre-seasonApples to Apples once again

It seems that some guys on this board will not let the facts get in the way of a good argument. They see what they want to see and that's final. I can understand when you have something to base a point on but the Bell arument is merely based on hope. Ignore the fact that Shanny said Griffin is the starter because obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about. ;)
Now don't let logic come into this!!! ;)

Could you explain how he read his holes properly. I didn't get to watch the game and am not sure excactly what your talking about. Denver uses a Zone blocking scheme and he doesn't really read holes he finds them. So did the holes collapse to fast or did he just not find any?Thanks for the info.
The holes did indeed collapse fast and Tatum did a good job bouncing to the outside or inside and turned what was a potential loss into a small or no gainI'm not arguing that Q is the starter for NOW....but when someone gets a job handed to them (lterally) because of injury to another than things tend to play out differently come the first 4 weeks of the season

You say i cannot distinguish a pattern based on 2 games that Griffin played last year but you choose to judge Tatum Bell on less than 30 carries in pre-season
But you're the guy who keeps making the threads claiming that tonight the Bell era begins. :excited:

You're the one pimping Tatum on just a dream. I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen so far. On the field, Quentin has been the best option. Will that change? Who knows....This is the NFL, things change all the time. As of right now, all signs point to Griffen getting the lion's share of the work, and I see no reason to believe that is in jeopardy in the foreseeable future.

You guys make excuses for Q Griffin when he runs with 2nd stringers but so far Tatum Bell has only run with 2nd Stringers and has not had a chance to run with the 1st string offenceApples to Apples my friends.You say i cannot distinguish a pattern based on 2 games that Griffin played last year but you choose to judge Tatum Bell on less than 30 carries in pre-seasonApples to Apples once again
I think most people are saying that the ####ing head coach has declared Griffin the starter and Bell is fighting for the backup's job. You're talking about him "taking over" based on second-string plays against the Arizona Cardinals in the final pre-season game. There's no "pattern", there's nothing to distinguish. The starter is Griffin, the backup may be Bell, and you can believe whatever the hell you want. But that's the way it is, no matter how badly you want it to change.Why do I have to explain this to anybody smart enough to turn a computer on? :wall:

I think most people are saying that the ####ing head coach has declared Griffin the starter and Bell is fighting for the backup's job. You're talking about him "taking over" based on second-string plays against the Arizona Cardinals in the final pre-season game. There's no "pattern", there's nothing to distinguish. The starter is Griffin, the backup may be Bell, and you can believe whatever the hell you want. But that's the way it is, no matter how badly you want it to change.Why do I have to explain this to anybody smart enough to turn a computer on? :wall:
Maybe he called the helpdesk?

You say i cannot distinguish a pattern based on 2 games that Griffin played last year but you choose to judge Tatum Bell on less than 30 carries in pre-season
But you're the guy who keeps making the threads claiming that tonight the Bell era begins. :excited:
Oh c'mon that's just fun hypeHe did exactly what I expected him to do ... be as good as Q Griffin.

Bell has a much higher ceiling than Q

While I am of the belief that Bell poses a real threat to Griffin for the job by the middle of the season, the lack of objectivity in this thread is astounding.

While I am of the belief that Bell poses a real threat to Griffin for the job by the middle of the season, the lack of objectivity in this thread is astounding.
You failed to realize that its just fun hype. :loco:

What lack of ObjectivityQ was given the job before Shanny had a chance to see what Bell can doThe first 4 weeks will tell a lot. Especially if Q can handle the load.I am not disputing whether he is the starter or not but .... with Bell putting up virtually identical numbers with the 2nd string offence in his FIRST every workload in the NFL he can only get better and become a threat to Q by the 4th weekShanny knows his cards and who is most talented back really is

Oh c'mon that's just fun hypeHe did exactly what I expected him to do ... be as good as Q Griffin.

Bell has a much higher ceiling than Q
And a much warmer bench. :excited:

Averaging 3.8 ypc and fumbling against the 2nd string is the beginning of the takeover? :yucky:
It was Arz first string defence and it wasn't a lost fumble eitherAfter a nice 21 Yard run i might add as well :thumbup: :yes:

After seeing both guys in college, I do not understand the knock against Griffin for injury, when Bell has been the one nicked in preseason and in college. I think Griffin is one of those guys who we in fantasyland take for granted. Shanny likes the fact that he knows what he has in Griffin (and likes it):Steady blockerNot a fumblerSteady guy who will get the tough yard1200+ total yds/ season TD every other game or soSounds like (other than the TDs) C. Martin who we overlook, but many head coaches would love having on their team.FYI: And I am a bigger OSU fan than OU

Averaging 3.8 ypc and fumbling against the 2nd string is the beginning of the takeover?  :yucky:
It was Arz first string defence and it wasn't a lost fumble eitherAfter a nice 21 Yard run i might add as well :thumbup: :yes:
Bell owners are "Chasing the Dream". Only way Bell sniffs the field is if Q has his leg broke.

Users who are viewing this thread