What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gordon To Miami? (1 Viewer)

I picked him up in the 20th round of my 3 player keeper league draft last Sunday based on a rumor someone heard Clayton say on ESPN and posted here.If this is true, I owe someone many thanks! :excited:

Clipped from: Jim Thomas, Post-Dispatch, 9-7-04

The Miami Dolphins also remained interested in trading for running back Lamar Gordon, sources familiar with the Dolphins told the Post-Dispatch. But all indications are that the Rams aren't interested in trading Gordon.
Can't tell who to believe on this one.

Once the trade is completed, the Dolphins will feel as though they acquired two offensive starters -- Booker and Smith -- for Ogunleye.
I assume he meant Booker and Gordon for O-Gun.The way Clayton is talking, it is a done deal.

Just picked him up. I am a huge miami fan, though i have refused to own ANY player from their team - i am so discusted with everything that is going on there - but i feel that if this pans out, it could be a real good fit, good for at least 1100 yards. Booker and Chambers is a nice duo with good ol' Jay at the healm....Is there hope yet in miami???????? :eek:

Whatever the case, I don't see Gordon as anyone special...Top 30 maybe? A notch above Morris or Minor?

He's been good filling in for Faulk. Not a replacement for Williams, but surely better than Minor or Morris.I'm looking at him to put up Wheatley or Garner-type numbers, so I picked him up in all 6 leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon's career stats:-- RUSHING -- -- RECEIVING -- -- FUMBLES -- YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST CAREER 136 526 3.9 29 2 38 337 8.9 25 2 3 0 I don't think these stats tell us everything. Gordon is a decent back but he will have major problems running behind an O-line that only managed to produce 95 att for 230 yds and an avg gain 3.0. Will they do better than that? Yes. How much better? Last year with RW their numbers were 487-1817-and 3.7. This is likely more representative of what we'll see. As for Gordon, assumming he becomes the primary back I see 325-1218-8 td's. Recpt 55-412-1 td. All in all he'd have more value in a ppr league.

The Miami Dolphins also remained interested in trading for running back Lamar Gordon, sources familiar with the Dolphins told the Post-Dispatch. But all indications are that the Rams aren't interested in trading Gordon.
FWIW, this article was just posted. I have more faith in Clayton than most reporters. I don't think he would make this statement without strong indications this will happen. With that said it still isn't a done deal. :popcorn:

Think Sammy Morris but a little quicker, better hands and 4 years younger.

FWIW, this article was just posted. I have more faith in Clayton than most reporters. I don't think he would make this statement without strong indications this will happen. With that said it still isn't a done deal. :popcorn:
I dropped Morris for him in most leagues so no loss either way. However, it seems legit with the Rams having been happy with Jackson's performance so far and Faulk's health. They are probably thinking taking a 3rd rounder is better to have than a back who's not going to play. I'm surprised someone didn't take advantage of Miami's desperation early (Bears...).

How fitting. The one league that I drafted Ricky Williams is the one league that I drafted Lamar Gordon. I can only hope.

Think Sammy Morris but a little quicker and better hands.
They are comparable player - Gordon is probably a little bit more polished.If Morris is "faster" he is not "football faster" b/c Gordon is MUCH quicker to the hole. Gordon breaks tackles better than anyone on the phins' roster. Gordon actually has pretty good hands - he subbed for Faulk admirably last year, and in 2002, he caugtht 30 passes for 278 yards (9 YPR) in limited play behind Faulk.Gordon is definitely an upgrade for the phins at RB, and he is probably worth the third rounder they got from the Bears since he would step in and probably get about 275 carries and 40 catches.Given that - if he is traded to the phins, he would make an excellent pick up for you as an RB3 who could see the ball every game.

Morris is 4 years younger than Gordon?????Lamar Gordon DOB: 01/7/1980, NFL exp 3 yrsSammy Morris DOB: 03/23/1977, NFL exp 5 yrsGordon is a big upgrade at RB for Miami and I think he will keep Minor and Morris on the bench for a majority of the time except for 3rd downs maybe.

this was on Rotoworld on the 6th.The Dolphins have reportedly inquired about acquiring Rams reserve running back Lamar Gordon.So far, St. Louis doesn't appear interested. Miami has to start offering something better than a fifth-round pick if they really want a running backWould you drop Ricky Williams for Gordon in a dynasty league now?

I AM a little confiusded why the team wouldn't keep the 3rd rounder and pick up a "free" option like Brock Forsey instead.

My bad, Fanball had Gordon at 24 and Morris at 28. Either way he's younger and better.

Morris is 4 years younger than Gordon?????Lamar Gordon DOB: 01/7/1980, NFL exp 3 yrsSammy Morris DOB: 03/23/1977, NFL exp 5 yrsGordon is a big upgrade at RB for Miami and I think he will keep Minor and Morris on the bench for a majority of the time except for 3rd downs maybe.
I'm going to guess the guy meant Minor.

this was on Rotoworld on the 6th.The Dolphins have reportedly inquired about acquiring Rams reserve running back Lamar Gordon.So far, St. Louis doesn't appear interested. Miami has to start offering something better than a fifth-round pick if they really want a running backWould you drop Ricky Williams for Gordon in a dynasty league now?
Ed, did you read the article? They are now talking a 3rd round pick.

Not if you can afford to keep him. I believe he will be a Raider next year since I think he'll wise up and realize how much money he's missing. Maybe a year off will be good for him.

I AM a little confiusded why the team wouldn't keep the 3rd rounder and pick up a "free" option like Brock Forsey instead.
Good point though I like Gordon's skills better. Something that I find more than a little surprising is the fact that Gordon just came back from ankle surgery. Seems a tad risky to me.

Ed, did you read the article? They are now talking a 3rd round pick.
this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1876915 ??All it says is that they will HAVE to give up a 3rd round pick to get him...it doesn't say anywhere where the Dolphins have actually offered this pick.

Thanks for the news. Promptly picked him up in my 2 leagues. Getting a free starting RB is pretty nice.

Thanks for the news. Promptly picked him up in my 2 leagues. Getting a free starting RB is pretty nice.
Caution should be noted: THIS TRADE HAS NOT HAPPENED YET! Buyer beware.And, you're welcome. That's what we're here for. Just helping you guys out because you've helped me many many times!

Nice how this report gets posted shortly after Dodds closes the 20K contest. Gordon at $2 could have caused a mad dash.

I remembered a post I made about a week ago where I had heard Clayton say on ESPN radio that this trade would make sense. Here's the post: Family Matters Posted: Sep 2 2004, 02:39 AM FootballguyGroup: MembersMember No.: 2058Joined: 14-April 03 This won't die for a few weeks. Each week a Miami RB sucks the rumors will get stoked over and over. A couple of weeks ago John Clayton suggested that what seemed to be a win win trade would be with St. Louis and Gordon. With Faulk, Jackson & Harris they could deal Gordon for say a 3rd which would be affordable to Miami and a pick St. Louis could live with. However, he made it clear that he no knowledge of anything in the works it was just an observation he made. Now that Gordon has recovered from ankle surgery maybe a discussion will take place.

I remembered a post I made about a week ago where I had heard Clayton say on ESPN radio that this trade would make sense. Here's the post: Family Matters Posted: Sep 2 2004, 02:39 AM FootballguyGroup: MembersMember No.: 2058Joined: 14-April 03 This won't die for a few weeks. Each week a Miami RB sucks the rumors will get stoked over and over. A couple of weeks ago John Clayton suggested that what seemed to be a win win trade would be with St. Louis and Gordon. With Faulk, Jackson & Harris they could deal Gordon for say a 3rd which would be affordable to Miami and a pick St. Louis could live with. However, he made it clear that he no knowledge of anything in the works it was just an observation he made. Now that Gordon has recovered from ankle surgery maybe a discussion will take place.
You think the last preseason game was a workout for Miami to see what they would be getting?

"Once the trade is completed, the Dolphins will feel as though they acquired two offensive starters -- Booker and Smith -- for Ogunleye.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com."

Who is "Smith"?

"Once the trade is completed, the Dolphins will feel as though they acquired two offensive starters -- Booker and Smith -- for Ogunleye.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com."

Who is "Smith"?
I already pointed ths out about ten posts ago - he obviously meant Gordon.

Picked him up in both of my leagues....more of a "defensive" measure to keep him from others. Will be using Gordon only as needed. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.

Picked him up in both of my leagues....more of a "defensive" measure to keep him from others. Will be using Gordon only as needed. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.

If you had the opportunity to put money on whether or not Gordon goes to Miami and does good or bad as well...what would you put it onHow much and what would you bet on--him doing bad or good?

If you had the opportunity to put money on whether or not Gordon goes to Miami and does good or bad as well...what would you put it onHow much and what would you bet on--him doing bad or good?
I would put the house and then some on him sucking more than Hurricane Frances. He's a different type of back than Trung Canidate, but it's going to be the same result.....3 yards per carry. :yes:

I would put the house and then some on him sucking more than Hurricane Frances. He's a different type of back than Trung Canidate, but it's going to be the same result.....3 yards per carry. :yes:
Would that house happen to be a dilapidated trailer like one the guy pictured in your avatar would undoubtedly live in? I see no reason why Gordon can't be solid in Miami. The team is desperate for an adequate RB and he'd be the only one on the roster. He may not be stellar but #3 RB with upside to be a solid #2 is a realistic expectation imo. I made the move to pick him up so I'm buying the story. Clayton hasn't screwed me before with bs stuff (unlike Mortenson) so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I see no reason why Gordon can't be solid in Miami. The team is desperate for an adequate RB and he'd be the only one on the roster. He may not be stellar but #3 RB with upside to be a solid #2 is a realistic expectation imo.
I guess you haven't been watching that Miami O-line. :rotflmao: Gordan is a decidedly average back that has ZERO chance to be a "solid #2". :rotflmao:

why is everyone calling John Clayton reliable? What other trades has he mentioned in the past that actually happened before it became official.

I don't think ESPN would feature this on their home page unless there was a 99% chance of the story being true. Clayton is a reporter, and reporters do make mistakes, but good editors won't feature stories unless the "rumor" is well more than likely. Just IMO.

I don't think ESPN would feature this on their home page unless there was a 99% chance of the story being true. Clayton is a reporter, and reporters do make mistakes, but good editors won't feature stories unless the "rumor" is well more than likely. Just IMO.
I guess you're forgetting about Peter Gammons then...ESPN has featured his articles before and most of them didn't come true

wow.. for the first time, i read the story on espn first!great break FM! i picked him up in all local leagues, dynasty was unavailable, but where does this put him? after julius but before who? finally, did anyone manage to sneak gordon into the survivor pool? for days i've been saying i would update my team based on the past few weeks injuries, never got around to it. DAMN!!!

wow.. for the first time, i read the story on espn first!great break FM! i picked him up in all local leagues, dynasty was unavailable, but where does this put him? after julius but before who? finally, did anyone manage to sneak gordon into the survivor pool? for days i've been saying i would update my team based on the past few weeks injuries, never got around to it. DAMN!!!
I too would like to know how he is ranked if this deal goes through, what tier of players should he be slotted with?

I see no reason why Gordon can't be solid in Miami. The team is desperate for an adequate RB and he'd be the only one on the roster. He may not be stellar but #3 RB with upside to be a solid #2 is a realistic expectation imo.
I guess you haven't been watching that Miami O-line. :rotflmao: Gordan is a decidedly average back that has ZERO chance to be a "solid #2". :rotflmao:
I'm as down on Miami as anyone but there is no denying that if the trade goes through, he instantly becomes their best option. Bad OL or not, if he gets most of the carries, he should be top-25 with upside to the top-20. These are big IF's but we're talking about a free agency pick up here.

I wouldn't get too excited, although he's certainly worth a waiver pick up. He'll have a shot at 1,000 yards, but he's not an elite talent and Miami is not a great offensive team. My advice would be to take him and put him wherever you had Marcel Shipp ranked before he got hurt.

There was about about a 1/2 hour gap between the news being posted and David locking it up, so somebody probably got in there. I really didn't see the need to change mine since I had Fargas at $2.

I've watched Gordon quite a bit and I'm not sure he would be a significant upgrade over Sammy Morris. Of course, Gordon has been running with bones chips in his ankle until just recently.In my observations, Gordon is a straight line runner who's not going to make people miss. He does have nice speed and some power and isn't afraid to ram it into a pile. I've never been overly impressed or disappointed in his hands.A 3rd rounder would be a high price, but if they make the trade he will ovbiously be the guy.Cheers! :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Just wondering how good he could be this year. Mia Oline stinks and will it be a rbbc. I have Julias Jones and am considering dropping him for Gordon. I wonder who will have the the better 2004 [ thoughts?

Just wondering how good he could be this year. Mia Oline stinks and will it be a rbbc. I have Julias Jones and am considering dropping him for Gordon. I wonder who will have the the better 2004 [ thoughts?
It would be a very bad move to drop Julius Jones for Gordon at this point. Do not do it.

Users who are viewing this thread