What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gordon To Miami? (1 Viewer)

Any chance he fails his physical? How long do you think it'll take him to adapt to the new offense? 5-6 weeks? When will he be fully ready to start? Week 2-3?Just trying to gauge the best time to trade for him. No, I don't think he's a blockbuster back, but as many have said, any running back that starts is worth getting if he can be had cheaply. He'd be my RB3/4 and I'm hoping I can bundle a few players and trade for him.

I actually dropped Tatum Bell in one league to pick him up. While I see Bell as holding more potential, I don't accumulate points in FF for my players' potential.

Now Bevo, would you go so far as to say you wouldn't have dropped Richie Anderson or Musa Smith (hypothetically, of course) for the DOOMED one, if someone hadn't beaten you to the punch late last night? :rotflmao:
It's not just about the people who were lucky enough to be able to drop Musa Smith and pick Gordon up off the ww last night. Quite a few savvy (and time-zone advantaged) owners grabbed him as trade bait, and now there are other maybe-not-as-savvy (and RB-challenged) owners who are trying to figure out what Gordon is worth to them. Hypothetically speaking, of course. I'm interested in what everyone has to say about him, beyond "You don't think he was worth dropping your 5th WR? Duh!"

For what it's worth, I saw last week's Rams/Raiders game and thought Gordon looked pretty good (Jackson definitely looked better, he coud be very good). Of course he was in against the 2nd/3rd string defense, but he was running tough and showed some speed. I didn't see much in the way of moves or ellusiveness though. Others feel free to correct me if they feel differently.On the flip side, I'm thinking one of the main reasons Ricky left the fins is because he didn't want to spend another year getting smashed behind that line. What success Williams had last year was done on his own moreso than via help from his line. I don't know that Gordon will have big success running behind the line Williams abandoned. But I think Gordon will be the main guy (approx 60% of the rb carries) and has more to offer than Minor or Morris, and as such he's worth a pick up for sure.Figure him for 850, 5 - maybe he can do better, but I'm one who likes to keep expectations low - definitely a useful spare part/bye week player.PS> Marc - KJ as your 25th back? That seems to be giving him short shrift - why so negative on him?edited: because spelling is hard

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is why I love FBG! I woke up early this morning and checked my email, I see a breaking news update saying Gordon was traded to Miami. One minute later I am on my two CBS league websites picking them up. Yah for footballguys :thumbup:

You talk about Wannstedt's offense as if its impossible for a RB not named Ricky to have any success. I don't consider Lamar Smith to be a stud and yet under Wannstedt he had 2 very productive seasons.2000 = 1340 combined yards and 16 total TDs2001 = 1200 combined yards and 8 total TDs
Then you are only reading the portions of my posts that fit into what you want hear. It is a COMBINATION of a crappy O-Line and Wanny's intransigence on offensive scheme. And I think there were a few that could have done as well or better (LT comes to mind as a back that did very well behind a brutal line).I don't claim to be a great Dolphins fan or Dolphins fan at all for that matter, but I seem to remember that when Lamar Smith was there (and indeed, even in Ricky's first year) that the Miami O-Line was at least decent and maybe even pretty good. Am I not remembering correctly?Did you check out the train wreck last year? They were basically doing an outstanding job when Ricky got back to the line of scrimmage. And I haven't seen anything in preseason to make me think they have the kinks worked out, I've seen precious little to make me believe they are even headed in the right direction. Now, perhaps I am wrong, and this will turn out to be a good O-Line, maybe even one of the best in the league but I want to see some evidence of it first.I'll try to remember to check back on this thread after week 8 or 9; I may have some serious crow to eat, or maybe not.

PS> Marc - KJ as your 25th back? That seems to be giving him short shrift - why so negative on him?
I'm not negative on KJones, I am simply MORE positive on other players ahead of him. The 5 backs in front of him on MY list are Westbrook, Barber, Staley, Griffin, and Bennett. Not an unreasonable group of folks to finish ahead of a first year starter in Detroit, right? Folks can arghue KJones will finish ahead of those guys, but I have just as many reasonable arguments for placing them ahead of KJones - like I said, not down on Jones, I'm just "more" up on those other five guys.
For what it's worth, I saw last week's Rams/Raiders game and thought Gordon looked pretty good (Jackson definitely looked better, he coud be very good). Of course he was in against the 2nd/3rd string defense, but he was running tough and showed some speed. I didn't see much in the way of moves or ellusiveness though. Others feel free to correct me if they feel differently.On the flip side, I'm thinking one of the main reasons Ricky left the fins is because he didn't want to spend another year getting smashed behind that line.
Good points - Gordon is def. more of a straight ahead runner, not elusive like Faulk - but he breaks tackles and has size enough to take on tacklers. On Ricky retiring - it is very likely he saw the state of the OL (developing) and didn't want to have to wait behind them while they got it together, meanwhile he would be learning behind them "the hard way." However, I am pretty sure 90%+ of Ricky's decision had to do with the fact he was facing a 4-game suspension for smoking the weed and he simply said "F it" to having to submit to pee tests.

I don't claim to be a great Dolphins fan or Dolphins fan at all for that matter, but I seem to remember that when Lamar Smith was there (and indeed, even in Ricky's first year) that the Miami O-Line was at least decent and maybe even pretty good. Am I not remembering correctly?Did you check out the train wreck last year?
This is going to sound a bit dumb b/c there are 5 lineman, but it was ALL on one man- Mark Dixon. With Dixon, that line was a good run blocking unit, without him (he was constantly getting injured), it struggled.The team hopes either Carney or James will be as good as Dixon was, but it will take some time.For Ricky, Dixon took care of the "A-Gap" - which was always Ricky's first step. When that got consistently closed off (as it did w/o Dixon in the lineup last year), Ricky was severely limited in his options.

Users who are viewing this thread