What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SHAUN ALEXANDER INFO (1 Viewer)

Some chump in the Seahawks NG posted that Alexander was out 8-12. He had no link, no source and no other details. I naturally assume it was a jacka## babbling. Anyone hear any different?
No, I haven't heard anything different. Maybe someone will post something from Mike Holmgren's press conference today. :wall:

Okay fellas,Should I pick up Morris? S.Alexander is not on my team. However, one of my division rivals (4 teams in the division) has S.Alexander. He beat me last week due to his big game, but he plays another division opponent this week. Since I lost, I have a higher waiver wire slot.I'm thinking even if Alexander misses just 2 games, I could "help" my division rival lose those 2 games without playing him head-to-head. My rival's other RB's are F.Taylor and C.Brown. My division is the toughest in my league, so 1-2 games will make a huge difference, especially since he already beat me once.My current team is:QB - McNairQB - BrooksRB - Deuce (still pissed at him)RB - Rudi JohnsonRB - GarnerRB - L.GordonRB - T. BellWR - WardWR - MouldsWR - A.LelieWR - BurressTE - GatesK - FeelyDEF - DolphinsI figure I will have to drop T. Bell or Burress. What should I do?

Okay fellas,Should I pick up Morris? S.Alexander is not on my team. However, one of my division rivals (4 teams in the division) has S.Alexander. He beat me last week due to his big game, but he plays another division opponent this week. Since I lost, I have a higher waiver wire slot.I'm thinking even if Alexander misses just 2 games, I could "help" my division rival lose those 2 games without playing him head-to-head. My rival's other RB's are F.Taylor and C.Brown. My division is the toughest in my league, so 1-2 games will make a huge difference, especially since he already beat me once.My current team is:QB - McNairQB - BrooksRB - Deuce (still pissed at him)RB - Rudi JohnsonRB - GarnerRB - L.GordonRB - T. BellWR - WardWR - MouldsWR - A.LelieWR - BurressTE - GatesK - FeelyDEF - DolphinsI figure I will have to drop T. Bell or Burress. What should I do?
He probably beats you becuase you pick up other peoples backups! Who are you going to drop Tantum? Whats his backup like behind alexander? If it is Taylor and C.Brown I doubt very much you're going to hurt him too bad by taking his backup. If I were you I'd be looking for another sleeper WR or a backup TE. Burress is way too much to give up for someone elses backup. :no:

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Alexander says knee will be fine

Bone bruise not seen as serious, but Seahawks remain cautious

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- The anatomy of the Seahawks running game this week comes down to a wounded knee and some crazy legs.

The knee, of course, belongs to Shaun Alexander, injured in the fourth quarter of the season opener Sunday against the Saints when he twisted his right one on the turf at the Superdome.

The injury initially looked worse, and felt worse for Alexander. But a magnetic resonance imaging test yesterday showed no structural damage. Doctors are calling the injury a bone bruise. It was caused, Alexander said, when his knee and leg bone "smacked into each other, and that's not normal."

The sighs of relief started with Alexander and coach Mike Holmgren.

Alexander: "Everybody said I'm really blessed because normally you do tear an ACL or MCL when that happens, but mine didn't. The bones are bruised but the ligaments are all straight."

Holmgren: "I think he's OK, thank goodness. He's sore and it'll be day to day this week. It's good news because it could have been a lot worse. I mentioned this morning (on his radio show) that it might be a week or two, and it might still be. But there's a chance he could play this week. We just have to see how it feels."

If Alexander is to miss a game -- and don't bet the weekly grocery money on it -- that's where the crazy legs come into play. Literally.

They belong to Maurice Morris, the third-year running back from Oregon who has been patiently waiting his turn as Alexander's understudy.

"He's just so fast. He is real, real quick," quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. "We call him 'Crazy Legs,' because you have to rewind it a couple of times on film. Like, 'How did he do that?' "

The question this week, as the Seahawks prepare to face an aggressive Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense in Tampa, Fla., is more like: How much will Morris get a chance to do that Sunday?

Asked about his chances of playing, Alexander smiled and said, "I always think they're good. I'm a fast healer. So I'll be all right."

Alexander wants to play, for the obvious and not so obvious reasons.

Obvious: "This team's got high goals and I don't want to be a part of anything that can slow that down, and me not being there could slow it down a little bit," he said.

Not so obvious: Alexander is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, and his three-touchdown, 135-yard rushing performance against the Saints was a running start toward a big payday.

Does Alexander need to play? Especially if a week off would be the best for the long haul?

"We're all hopeful he can play," Holmgren said. "If he can't, we have to go to the next guy and I expect whoever that man is to play well."

Morris has done that in his spot duty the past two seasons. He averaged 6.3 yards per carry last season and 4.8 as a rookie in 2002 -- but on only 38 and 32 carries, respectively.

That's because Alexander has been as durable as he is productive. He has not missed a game since being a first-round draft choice in 2001, and missed only one start the past two seasons -- because of the birth of his daughter, Heaven. He arrived late for that game, but still ran for 58 yards.

Alexander surpassed 1,000 career carries against the Saints.

"I am going to treat it like any other week," Morris said. "Even if Shaun didn't get hurt, I am going to be ready to play just in case an injury happens. This is like a normal week to me."

Not exactly, because Morris is closer than he ever has been to being the starter for an entire game.
Link

Does that end this? Isn't anyone still concerned about alexander's knee? It seems like this always happens. A true superstar gets injured. The coach, team, and player all say it's ok and then, after weeks of questionable starts, it affects his play and we hear the truth.

:confused: I currently have the following line up Rb LT, Jamal Lewis, F Taylor, M. Morris and Lamar GordonMY opponet has S Alexander and I am considering offering J Lewis for SA, with the current events around both individuals I feel SA would be an upgrade of Jamal Lewis.. Thoughts comments

:confused: I currently have the following line up Rb LT, Jamal Lewis, F Taylor, M. Morris and Lamar GordonMY opponet has S Alexander and I am considering offering J Lewis for SA, with the current events around both individuals I feel SA would be an upgrade of Jamal Lewis.. Thoughts comments
Try the AC forum

Quote from the ESPN article:Said Alexander: "I'm a fast healer. I'll be all right."Translation: "There's no way that mofo is getting the chance to take my job".

I would almost rather have him out week 2 and 3 and stay healthly for the rest of the season. I'm toast if he goes out for any true length of time, this season.

The lead from that story:

SEATTLE -- Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said Wednesday that running back Shaun Alexander could play Sunday at Tampa Bay, but only if he can return to practice by Friday.
Hopefully we'll know something by then.

was listening to sports radio here in tampa today. apparently there was a conference call with SA. dude said he seemed like a real nice guy. also said SA said that he was DEFINITELY playing this weekend. no link. take it for what it's worth.-Orphan

was listening to sports radio here in tampa today. apparently there was a conference call with SA. dude said he seemed like a real nice guy. also said SA said that he was DEFINITELY playing this weekend. no link. take it for what it's worth.-Orphan

Thanks for the talk radio update, Orphan. If Shaun plays, I'll start him. Still, MoMo's not getting waived from my squad this year. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of Shaun's knee troubles in 2004... :mellow:

I am 99% sure Shaun will start and play this weekend. Reason being, Holmgren basically put the ball in Shaun's court, "You practice Friday, then you can play." Shaun is on record saying he is a fast healer (whatever that means) and he plans on playing this weekend.Whether this is good or bad, I am not sure.

I am 99% sure Shaun will start and play this weekend. Reason being, Holmgren basically put the ball in Shaun's court, "You practice Friday, then you can play." Shaun is on record saying he is a fast healer (whatever that means) and he plans on playing this weekend.Whether this is good or bad, I am not sure.
If he plays I hope his contract year status isn't a factor. I could care less about his FF value, my boys have a good shot at a great season for the first time in a long, long time, perhaps ever. If he's worried about his negotiations and wants to keep Morris from showing what he's got, he could open himself up to further injury. We dodged a huge bullet with his injury and I don't think even his faith in God will keep him from being as lucky the next time. So...if he plays I'm going to be nervous as an expecting father the entire game.

Thanks for the talk radio update, Orphan. If Shaun plays, I'll start him. Still, MoMo's not getting waived from my squad this year. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of Shaun's knee troubles in 2004... :mellow:
One thing is for sure, no matter what SA's Knee situation is. If you are in a keeper league Mo Morris should be on your bench as of now and should stay there for the rest of the year. Morris is one of the only sure fire back up RB's in the NFL that would not default into a RBBC situation. SA, and I guess you could argue this point, now has to be viewed as an injury risk at least over the short term making Morris a good upside play for 04. I have been on record that the Seahawks would rather sign Jones to a deal and let Morris play, then let Jones walk and be able to afford Alexander. Thus I think Morris will have the starting job for the Seahawks next year. If this is the case you will get to have the starting Seahawks RB next year for a next to nothing keeper price.IMHO - Morris should be owned in 100% of keeper leagues, no exceptions.

Starting a banged-up Alexander against a pissed-off Bucs defense that was effective at stopping Portis (save the 64 yard run), in Tampa Bay, would be a mistake. I hope that they don't start Alexander as I fear he'll aggravate his injury. I want him sitting this week.I've been wrong before about the Bucs and their Defense but if they go 0-2, their season is in real trouble early. They will leave everything on the field attacking Alexander, if he plays.

Users who are viewing this thread