What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "Law of Averages" (1 Viewer)

Take Jamal Lewis for last year and get back to me.This is just a gross oversimplification on your part.
Taking a single anecdotal example does not change the pattern or direction of the reliationship. Off quadrant cases are guaranteed as long as correlation is less than 1.0.Not only is picking a single example like that pretty bad form, but is exactly the sort "gross oversimplification" you just accused. Note the irony.

Yeah, is a weird twist on the old Gambler's Fallacy. Does not work because they are independent events. Only if the average were fixed ahead of time would this logic work...and it is most certainly not.Smith doing poorly tonight will in no way increase the odds fo him doing well later. And perhaps the opposite.
What I "accused" was presuming the relationship was negative not positive. That is why it is a "weird" permuation of gambler's fallacy. The events are dependent and positively correlated. To believe they are unrelated or lower scores make higher scores more likely in subsequent games is not supprted by the data.
Well, it seems you did both but as I said in my first thread, I was trying to work this out as I wrote about it but, at least for me, the question of gambler's fallacy was critical. And everyone was jumping on him saying that these events were unrelated. I've been equivicol this entire thread. Suggesting that there is a right answer to the question, If Steve Smith does mediocre this week will he do well in the following weeks has no right answer --certainly not one from probability. Each FF player would have to make informed decisions on what a week 1 performance means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, suppose you flipped a coin 100 times, and it come up heads every time.  You should expect tails to come up more often from now on as you approach an infinite number of coin flips.
:wall: Each flip has an expectation of 0.5 heads and 0.5 tails, regardless of previous results. (Assuming a fair coin.)
Right, which why it is only after an infinite number of flips that the even split will occur.(note also that depending on the width of the coin there is also the varying but minute possibility that it will land on edge. Only a two-dimensional coin could produce a true 0.5 heads/0.5 tails expectation.)

"one game should not change those projections"
Here is the fundamental source of disagreement. I think that statistically you have to or else you are putting on blinders. But the adjustment need not be all that very much. But having one fewer games to get the 8 (or whatever) projected TDs would be hard to ignore. Even on a weeklly average if I had projected .6 TDs per week and someone goes 0 week one, I would have to move this to .5 TDs for week 2.

Here is the fundamental source of disagreement. I think that statistically you have to or else you are putting on blinders. But the adjustment need not be all that very much. But having one fewer games to get the 8 (or whatever) projected TDs would be hard to ignore. Even on a weeklly average if I had projected .6 TDs per week and someone goes 0 week one, I would have to move this to .5 TDs for week 2.
You seem to be missing the point that when you make a projection of 10 tds in 16 games. You accept the fact that AT THE VERY LEAST 6 of those 16 weeks will not result in a TD. So why throw on the panic button after 1 week of 0 tds? Sorry, but I have more confidence in my projections then that. If after 5 weeks, hehas only 1. Well then I have to start asking myself what I missd and what is a more realistic projection. Not after 1 week though.

"Well, it seems you did both but as I said in my first thread, I was trying to work this out as I wrote about it but, at least for me, the question of gambler's fallacy was critical."
Yeah, my bad. I should have said "positively dependent not negatively" and never said "independent". Was just thinking of the standard gambler's fallacy not the weird permutation.

Take Jamal Lewis for last year and get back to me.This is just a gross oversimplification on your part.
Taking a single anecdotal example does not change the pattern or direction of the reliationship. Off quadrant cases are guaranteed as long as correlation is less than 1.0.Not only is picking a single example like that pretty bad form, but is exactly the sort "gross oversimplification" you just accused. Note the irony.
That comment by me was in response to this statement:This is so easily proven it would be silly to go to the effort. made by you.I am at work and don't always have time to fully develop what I'd like to say.I actually think on the surface you are correct, but as far as application goes, I'd tend not to be interested in using the output you are striving for.I bet I can find 100 players from last year whose week 1 performance was well under or over their season ending totals oppositely correlated from your predictions. Jamal Lewis was one that I knew off hand, I’d have to assume given a few hours I could find tens if not hundreds more.

You seem to be missing the point that when you make a projection of 10 tds in 16 games. You accept the fact that AT THE VERY LEAST 6 of those 16 weeks will not result in a TD. So why throw on the panic button after 1 week of 0 tds? Sorry, but I have more confidence in my projections then that. If after 5 weeks, hehas only 1. Well then I have to start asking myself what I missd and what is a more realistic projection. Not after 1 week though.
So if you were expecting 10 TDs and your player scores 4TDs in game one, you only think he's going to score 6TDs for the remainder of the season? Isn't it more likely that you underestimted the player's value, and that he may score something like 14 TDs this season?

"Well, it seems you did both but as I said in my first thread, I was trying to work this out as I wrote about it but, at least for me, the question of gambler's fallacy was critical."
Yeah, my bad. I should have said "positively dependent not negatively" and never said "independent". Was just thinking of the standard gambler's fallacy not the weird permutation.
And I should have noted that you were consistent in your conclusion throughout that the actual possible coorelation here was positive and dependent and that jurb was ignoring the possibility that a bad week one might not be the best thing to hope for.That is actually something that might be interesting here -- week one performance coorelated to year long performance.

Hold on. If there is a strong, positive coorelation between ff performance across weeks of the season (again, something I would agree with) then you are not describing random, independent events -- which is what 10, or 16 or 100 coin flips are.
Correct.
I thought that the jurb was being accused of buying into the fallacy that these events were related.
He was being accused of the fallacy that they are negatively correlated because if he uses up too many of his total yards in week one, he won't have as many left over for weeks 2-15.That is the gambler's fallacy.

It applies where events are not correlated, and it applies even more strongly where the events are in fact positively correlated.

Now I'm hearing don't hope for a bad game because it likely indicates more bad games down the road. I'm not foolish enough to say that this is some sort of logical fallacy but it seems to me that believing Steve Smith's first game performance won't be a predictor for his entire season is just as reasonable as saying it will be.
Predicting Steve Smith's future performance depends on lots of things.The only one being discussed here as a fallacy (and it really is a fallacy) is that if he does poorly in week 1, he'll do better than he otherwise would have in weeks 2-15 because he won't have "used up" as large a portion of his EOY numbers reserve.

So if you were expecting 10 TDs and your player scores 4TDs in game one, you only think he's going to score 6TDs for the remainder of the season? Isn't it more likely that you underestimted the player's value, and that he may score something like 14 TDs this season?
Yes, it may in fact be likely that I have udervalued them. However, lets not forget that this is still only 1 week of play. To drastically change your stance on a player due to such a small sample of data does not seem logical IMO. I don't make projections thinking the will be "right on." I make them with a window or margin of error. Just like CMart and Griffin out produced any projections they had this week, next week or 2 weeks from now they could very well drastically underperform them. Every player will have good days and bad ones. Heck, this could be the olny good day for either RB all year long, we don't know this yet.

Carry it further to make it more obvious. Let's say Smith scores two TDs through his first 15 games. Are you going to project an 8-TD game to finish the season?
No, of course not. But you are dealing with 2 VERY DIFFERENT events here. There is a HUGE difference between adjusting projectons after a data group of 15 weeks and a data group of 1 week.
Projections are about the future.If you reduce your end-of-year projections from 10 to 9.4 based on a zero-TD first game, you are not changing your projections. You're just acknowledging what already happened in the past.

If you keep your end-of-year projections at 10, you are chaning your projections. You're not only changing them based on a sample of a single week, but you're changing them upward based on a poor performance. Since weekly production has a positive correlation (as ookook notes), this is nonsensical.
Huh? I make a projection of 10 tds in a season KNOWING full well that a 10 td season can in now way, shap, or form = a td per week. Therefor, why after 1 week with 0 tds (a given fact seeing a projection of 10 in 16 weeks) would I view this as bad?
Not as "bad" -- as below what was expected. You were expecting him to maybe have 0 TDs, maybe 1, maybe 2, or maybe 3. The overall expectation for TDs was therefore positive, even if it was only fractional.If he actually gets zero TDs, therefore, he came in below expectations (but within the expected range of expectations).

I have already in a 10 td projection accounted for at LEAST 6 weeks for which I think Smith will not scorea td.
"At least" six weeks is different from an expectation of six weeks. For example, when you project 10 TDs, you are saying that he will have more than zero TDs in "at least" one week. But you are expecting him to score in more weeks than that.When Smith gets zero TDs in week one, you're still expecting him to get zero TDs in "at least" six weeks -- but your expectation for his scoreless weeks should have just gone up.

So him scoring 0 on a night when I don't need them any way is rather meaningless and good for me.
It was, at best, neutral for you. The "at best" scenario would apply if games are independent events like roulette spins. It was, more probably, bad for you, since weekly performances seem to be positively correlated.

I thought that the jurb was being accused of buying into the fallacy that these events were related.
He was being accused of the fallacy that they are negatively correlated because if he uses up too many of his total yards in week one, he won't have as many left over for weeks 2-15.That is the gambler's fallacy.

It applies where events are not correlated, and it applies even more strongly where the events are in fact positively correlated.
You keep sighting this as a "fallacy" when there is in fact no way to possible know right now if it is or is not. This is my major problem with its application in FF. We do know in coin flipping or other COMPLETE EVENTS OF CHANCE that it would be. However, this is a football player and thus human being. Not an object of CHANCE. He palys in a scheme dictated week to week by coaches, Ds, and the tempo of the game. These are what we call VARIABLES. Something missing from the "gamblers fallacy." I fully believe that S.Smith is capable of around 1300/10 this season. I make this projection EXPECTING full well that he will have a bad game here or there and a very good game here or there. Regardless though I expect him to finish with close to those numbers. Even if he does very bad week 1 I still view his talent and abilty as enough to put him close to that projection. 1 week, good or bad, does not and will not drastically change that IMO.

If football performances were completely independent events like roulette, this "law of averages" thinking would be wrong.

Since they're not independent events, but are actually positively correlated, this "law of averages" thinking is even more wrong.
This is where we differ. Especially given that jurb is talking about one game. Jamal Lewis has already been mentioned and, I doubt that you are actually making the arguement that a one week sample should dramatically change our expectations for most players.
It will not dramatically affect my future expectations for most players. That is, if before the season started, I had expected Jamal to rush for 1500 yards in weeks 2-15, then I may still have that same expectation notwithstanding week 1. But my expectation of his week 1 stats are of course changed. They went from 100 yards to 54 yards (or whatever he actually had).

At some point in the season, you are correct. But, again, I doubt that you'll actually argue that that point is after week 1.
My reasoning applies for week 1, or even for the first half of week 1, or even just for the first play of the first game.If I originally expected J.Lew to get 1600 yards rushing on the season, and if I expected him to get 5 yards on his first carry . . . then if he only gets 4 yards on his first carry I'd reduce my EOY projections down to 1599.

The first carry already happened. On his remaining carries I may not change my expectations. But his first carry at -1 from expectations is in the books.

Let me just state that I hate the "gamblers fallacy in application to Fantasy Football. The gamblers fallacy deals with completly independent events OUTSIDE OF THE CONTROL OF HUMANS. Fantasy sports and football do not. Players will have good weeks and bad weeks. This can not in any way be realated to that of flipping a coin though. A coin flip is total chanced to which side it lands on and independent and unpredictable or projectable every time. Football players however have different skill sets and game planes to factor into the mix. The realation is not even close IMO. A team can scheme to take away a guy 1 week and the next a team forgets about him. There are actual VARIABLES to concider when projecting fantasy performacne and the gamblers fallacy ignores this resounding fact.

Maybe some of you guys can convince me that it is applicable though. :popcorn:
It is applicable to Jamal Lewis hasn't "used up" very many of 1600 yards yet, so he'll get the rest of them in future weeks.That's exactly as fallacious whether we're talking about coin flips or fantasy football . . . unless you can show that week 2-15 performance is negatively correlated with week 1 performance, which it's not.

It is applicable to Jamal Lewis hasn't "used up" very many of 1600 yards yet, so he'll get the rest of them in future weeks.

That's exactly as fallacious whether we're talking about coin flips or fantasy football
No it is not. There are actual people in control of what Lewis does from this point on in the season. Factors and variables which are in no way present in flipping a coin. Not even close in my book.

just like in the coin toss example, if 10 heads comes up, the next one can still be a head, but in the LONG RUN, there will be more tails than heads
This is a classic statement of the gambler's fallacy.

It is applicable to Jamal Lewis hasn't "used up" very many of 1600 yards yet, so he'll get the rest of them in future weeks.

That's exactly as fallacious whether we're talking about coin flips or fantasy football
No it is not. There are actual people in control of what Lewis does from this point on in the season. Factors and variables which are in no way present in flipping a coin. Not even close in my book.
I'd simply say that as Cleveland has figured out how to play some semblance of defense, his projection drops automatically to 1100 - where it belongs.

#1 Projections mean nothing. Because you, Joey B, or any other outside obserber says that a players will score a certain amount of TDs, gain a certain amount of yards, etc have no bearing on how that player performs.

#2 There is no "law of averages." Averages are a tool to measure things that once happened and try to predict the future. A law of averages would mean that the measurement of past things changes the events of the future, that would be the same flaw as thinking that the reason a hurricane smashed into Florida was because the projected path on the wather channel said it would.

#3 Some of you have a incorrect understanding of probablitiy and statisics. If you flipped a coin 10 time and it came up heads, then you flipped it 990 more times, the odds that there would be more heads than tails outcomes would be more than 50-50.

jurb:

What are your current week 2-15 projections for Steve Smith?

Are you seriously going to increase those projections if he does poorly this week, and decrease those projections if he does really well this week?

There's an argument to be made for not changing your week 2-15 projections based on week 1. Week 1, after all, is just one week. Small sample size and all.

But there's no reasonable argument for revising your projections upward when a guy does worse than expected, or for revising your projections downward when he does better than expected.

jurb:

Are you seriously going to increase those projections if he does poorly this week, and decrease those projections if he does really well this week?

There's an argument to be made for not changing your week 2-15 projections based on week 1. Week 1, after all, is just one week. Small sample size and all.

But there's no reasonable argument for revising your projections upward when a guy does worse than expected, or for revising your projections downward when he does better than expected.
:goodposting:

...it is only after an infinite number of flips that the even split will occur.
This is part of the same fallacy. As the number of coin flips goes to infinity, the margin of error goes to zero on a percentage basis. However, the expected absolute error increases the more you flip the coin--all the way out to infinity. In fact, the probability of the expected number of heads (m) equalling exactly half the total number of flips (n/2) approaches zero as n approaches infinity.

That's exactly as fallacious whether we're talking about coin flips or fantasy football . . . unless you can show that week 2-15 performance is negatively correlated with week 1 performance, which it's not.
You've speculated that week 1 performance is positively (and significantly) coorelated to overall performance but you haven't provided any evidence. Intuitively, I'm willing to buy that, but statisicians usually don't like to rely on intuition. And, of course, as was mentioned earlier, if the coorelation of last years performance is stronger than week 1's then you have other data that might make more sense to pay attention to.
Code:
If I originally expected J.Lew to get 1600 yards rushing on the season, and if I expected him to get 5 yards on his first carry . . . then if he only gets 4 yards on his first carry I'd reduce my EOY projections down to 1599.The first carry already happened. On his remaining carries I may not change my expectations. But his first carry at -1 from expectations is in the books.
I'm not sure why you would project every carry but it seems unlikely that will have any value. This is why we use averages (per carry, per game, etc). If your projections had Lewis achieving a 5.0 yard/carry average, he should still obtain that even if his first carry goes for 4.0. Using such a small sample obviously makes the data virtually useless and anyone who would argue that one could extrapolate significant data for the season based on one carry is not using reason.I do agree with your earlier point that it seems unlikely anyone will win or lose fantsay games based on if they hope for a guy not to do too much week 1.

This is part of the same fallacy. As the number of coin flips goes to infinity, the margin of error goes to zero on a percentage basis. However, the expected absolute error increases the more you flip the coin--all the way out to infinity. In fact, the probability of the expected number of heads (m) equalling exactly half the total number of flips (n/2) approaches zero as n approaches infinity.
Excellent point.

Excellent point.
I've been resisting saying this but it is my understanding that there have been recent speculations in theoretical mathmatics that this actually is not the case. I can't provide a link or anything but I know I heard a report discussing the notion that, in practice, this may not be true. Now maybe I'll waste some time on google.

jurb:

People, people, people, don't you realize that these "projections" are basically "guesses" based on information we had before the season even started?You can change your projections based on the performance during the season (and would be stupid not to).

One game isn't a good predictor of an entire season, especially for a WR, so I think it's too early to tell who's going to outperform their projections and who's not. However, the preseason projections factored in questions about every player, whether it's over-coming injuries, too old, too young, etc. By seeing how the players are answering the questions you can redo your projections for the rest of the season.

If I am wrong, why did people pick up Boldin after week 1 and not just stick with his preseason projections?

You've speculated that week 1 performance is positively (and significantly) coorelated to overall performance but you haven't provided any evidence.
It's obvious that weekly performances are positively correlated. I'm not going to spend time gathering evidence for that point.
And, of course, as was mentioned earlier, if the coorelation of last years performance is stronger than week 1's then you have other data that might make more sense to pay attention to.
Of course. But to the extent week 1 is worth paying attention to at all, a poor performance is not a plus, and a good performance is not a minus.

If I am wrong, why did people pick up Boldin after week 1 and not just stick with his preseason projections?
LOL. I think Boldin outperformed his EOY projections in week 1 alone. So maybe some "law of averages" people expected him to get negative yards in weeks 2-15.

See I'm having trouble understanding how a great performance one week can possibly hurt a player in a future week.
It could possibly hurt him in a future week if defenses game plan against him more strongly than they otherwise would have . . . but the "law of averages" reasoning here is fallacious.
It's obvious that weekly performances are positively correlated. I'm not going to spend time gathering evidence for that point.
Hmm. I guess it is easier to make arguements when you feel free to say whatever you feel like and to make assertions without evidence. And really its the paranthetic note that's important there. Is week 1 performance significantly correlated? I don't expect you to gather any evidence for this but feel free to assert you're wrong and I'm right in the next post.

I just looked at 250 players from last season. The entire analysis would be much more fun if I had projected points vs. actual, but this took me about 4 minutes to do and that would take a lot longer :brush: 94 players had higher opening weeks than their average points for the season.156 players had lower opening weeks than their average points for the season.Jake PlummerL TomlinsonManningLewisT Gonzalez all stand out as major underperformers in week 1.BoldinChambersGallowayWardall stand out as major overperformers in week 1.14 players under performed their season averages by more than 10 points in week 1. 28 players over performed their season averages by more than 10 points in week 1.Using week 1 to predict the average points per week over the next 15 weeks yields an R Square of .26, with an F Stat of 89 and P Values of less than 5% FWIW (not much but what the hell ;) ) All of this and I still come back to my earlier post and what Maurile is saying as well, a poor performance in week 1 is not really a plus, and a good performance in week 1 is not really a minus.You can gains some generalizations from what I have posted but not anything worth betting on IMO.

See I'm having trouble understanding how a great performance one week can possibly hurt a player in a future week.
It could possibly hurt him in a future week if defenses game plan against him more strongly than they otherwise would have . . . but the "law of averages" reasoning here is fallacious.
Hmm. I guess it is easier to make arguements when you feel free to say whatever you feel like and to make assertions without evidence. And really its the paranthetic note that's important there. Is week 1 performance significantly correlated? I don't expect you to gather any evidence for this but feel free to assert you're wrong and I'm right in the next post.
1. I said "It could possibly hurt him in a future week if defenses game plan against him more strongly than they otherwise would have." That is correct. It could possibly hurt him if that happens. 2. I said "It's obvious that weekly performances are positively correlated." This is also correct. They are positively correlated, and this is obvious.

There's no contradiction between those two statements, any more than there's a contradiction between saying that a coin could possibly land on heads six times in a row, but that the first and sixth flips are not correlated.

As for your paranthetic note, you're misattributing it to me because I never said that week 1 and weeks 2-15 are "significantly" correlated. I'll stand by it anyway, though. They are significantly correlated.

Use week 1 as a predictor for weeks 2-15 for any previous year, and you'll find it does significantly better than random -- and the correlation is positive, not negative.

All of this and I still come back to my earlier post and what Maurile is saying as well, a poor performance in week 1 is not really a plus, and a good performance in week 1 is not really a minus.
Now I'm really beating a dead horse here but I guess you gotta do what you're good at. ;) I don't think that's a fair characterization of what jurb said. He wasn't asserting that a poor week was a plus or even a good week a minus just that he hoped Smith would do well in the future (and that that was somehow related to week 1 -- d'oh)

All of this and I still come back to my earlier post and what Maurile is saying as well, a poor performance in week 1 is not really a plus, and a good performance in week 1 is not really a minus.
Now I'm really beating a dead horse here but I guess you gotta do what you're good at. ;) I don't think that's a fair characterization of what jurb said. He wasn't asserting that a poor week was a plus or even a good week a minus just that he hoped Smith would do well in the future (and that that was somehow related to week 1 -- d'oh)
To be honest, I was kind of late to the fun so I was just kind of tossing that out. I didn't read what jurb even said :no: lol - sorry bout that

I don't think that's a fair characterization of what jurb said. He wasn't asserting that a poor week was a plus or even a good week a minus just that he hoped Smith would do well in the future (and that that was somehow related to week 1 -- d'oh)
From the first post in this thread:
Would like to see him get limited action as I like the law of averages for the rest of the season if he does little
He's saying that a bad week 1 would be a plus for weeks 2-15.

There are about three or four different discussions going on here, some of which are useful (correlation of week-to-week performance), and some of which are not (jurb desperately trying to change the subject from his original argument to something more sensical).

The bottom line is that Maurice and others are right about the Gambler's Fallacy. How much it really applies to fantasy football is up for debate, of course. I could even see the argument that a Smith owner who had his week one matchup in the bag would want him to do poorly -- fewer touches means less chance of injury, and if Smith plays badly he's less likely to be the focus for defensive co-ordinators the rest of the month.

But to argue that you should root against him so he doesn't "use up" his projections is just wrong. That's where the fallacy comes in, which is all people were trying to point out.

But to argue that you should root against him so he doesn't "use up" his projections is just wrong. That's where the fallacy comes in, which is all people were trying to point out.
Actually, I don't think the discussion has ever been "should" he root against him. Such an argument would really take us into a kind of post modernist world that I don't think would be very useful. I'm willing to concede that jurb's rooting will have no affect whatsoever on Smith's performance this week or the season! :D

...and the correlation is positive, not negative.
This is true, but isn't it so partially due to the fact that nearly all if not all of the data points are positive? If you started with a benchmark other than 0, say 10 points as the floor for RB scoring or something, we could see some negative correlations don't you think?

I don't think that's a fair characterization of what jurb said. He wasn't asserting that a poor week was a plus or even a good week a minus just that he hoped Smith would do well in the future (and that that was somehow related to week 1 -- d'oh)
Would like to see him get limited action as I like the law of averages for the rest of the season if he does little
Yes, he said that, he also said this:
Nope, very serious. The man will put up numbers this year, that much I know. I would just rather they come in a week when I "need" them more.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of what jurb said.  He wasn't asserting that a poor week was a plus or even a good week a minus just that he hoped Smith would do well in the future (and that that was somehow related to week 1 -- d'oh)
Yes, he said that, he also said this:
Nope, very serious. The man will put up numbers this year, that much I know. I would just rather they come in a week when I "need" them more.
Exactly. In other words, a poor week 1 would be a plus for weeks 2-15.

To be honest, I was kind of late to the fun so I was just kind of tossing that out. I didn't read what jurb even said :no: lol - sorry bout that
No problem. I'd be better off today if I hadn't read what jurb said -- at least I'd be prepared to teach tomorrow. I doubt my students are going to want to hear about this discussion or the Packer game which will prevent me from preparing later. I'd better get some work done.

...and the correlation is positive, not negative.
This is true, but isn't it so partially due to the fact that nearly all if not all of the data points are positive? If you started with a benchmark other than 0, say 10 points as the floor for RB scoring or something, we could see some negative correlations don't you think?
I don't know what benchmark you used, but it shouldn't be zero points.The predicting formula will bey = mx + bwhere y = "weeks 2-15 PPG", x = "week 1 points", and m and b are whatever optimize the accuracy of that equation. (Non-linear equations might produce better results, but lets keep it simple.)When I claim that week 1 and weeks 2-15 are positively correlated, I'm just saying that m will be positive for the best values of m and b. I would certainly not expect the best value of b to be zero. (b will almost certainly also be positive, and m will be between 0 and 1.)(Excel uses regression analysis to find the best-fitting line; I assumed that's how you did it, but maybe not.)

I doubt my students are going to want to hear about this discussion or the Packer game which will prevent me from preparing later.
What kind of students do you have that they wouldn't want to hear about the Packer game?

OK, all those jumping aboard here. Answer me this:Do players have good weeks and bad weeks threw the course of a 16 game season? Yes or No?Does a good week 1 ensure a great season to come? Yes or NO?Does a bad week 1 ensure a bad season to come? Yes or No?Does it make sense to DRASTICALLY change and adjust projections after a sample size of 1 game? Yes or No?Finally, could someone please illoistrate to me exactly what kind of credibility the "gambler fallacy" hold in the world of FF? Cuase I have still heard no good arguements.

OK, all those jumping aboard here. Answer me this:Do players have good weeks and bad weeks threw the course of a 16 game season? Yes or No?
Yes.
Does a good week 1 ensure a great season to come? Yes or NO?
No.
Does a bad week 1 ensure a bad season to come? Yes or No?
No.
Does it make sense to DRASTICALLY change and adjust projections after a sample size of 1 game? Yes or No?
Sometimes. See Anquan Boldin 2003 or Charles Rogers 2004.
Finally, could someone please illoistrate to me exactly what kind of credibility the "gambler fallacy" hold in the world of FF? Cuase I have still heard no good arguements.
I don't understand the question. Fallacies properly have zero credibility.

OK, all those jumping aboard here. Answer me this:Do players have good weeks and bad weeks threw the course of a 16 game season? Yes or No?Does a good week 1 ensure a great season to come? Yes or NO?Does a bad week 1 ensure a bad season to come? Yes or No?Does it make sense to DRASTICALLY change and adjust projections after a sample size of 1 game? Yes or No?Finally, could someone please illoistrate to me exactly what kind of credibility the "gambler fallacy" hold in the world of FF? Cuase I have still heard no good arguements.
"Please don't dominate the rap, jack,if you've got nothing new to say."

Users who are viewing this thread