What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A few giggles when I drafted Q (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OU Kurt

Footballguy
In the 8th season of our QB Legends league I have never been snickered at for a pick.With the 6th pick this season I gnabbed Deuce, pick 2 Dom Davis, pick 3 C Brown, pick 4 A Johnson, pick 5 Q Griffen (SNICKER,GIGGLE...followed by comments "he was a nice little college back, but...)I felt like I had this season's SOD in round 5. Doubt crept into my mind, because this league of friends is mostly shark infested.I told them to talk to me after week 1 when I was going to start Q. (more snickers)Maybe its just me, but I have never been so satisfied watching a Sunday night game in my life.I know , I know its 1 game and he could bust the rest of the year but being justified even for 1 week sure felt damn good. Anyone else get laughed at for snagging Q ?Anyone starting him week 2?

In the 8th season of our QB Legends league I have never been snickered at for a pick.With the 6th pick this season I gnabbed Deuce, pick 2 Dom Davis, pick 3 C Brown, pick 4 A Johnson, pick 5 Q Griffen (SNICKER,GIGGLE...followed by comments "he was a nice little college back, but...)I felt like I had this season's SOD in round 5. Doubt crept into my mind, because this league of friends is mostly shark infested.I told them to talk to me after week 1 when I was going to start Q. (more snickers)Maybe its just me, but I have never been so satisfied watching a Sunday night game in my life.I know , I know its 1 game and he could bust the rest of the year but being justified even for 1 week sure felt damn good. Anyone else get laughed at for snagging Q ?Anyone starting him week 2?
I was teased every time I drafted him, in 2 actual leagues and in a mock draft. Now, I get to tease the Tatum Bell owners for the rest of the season. :D

I wouldn't talk too much trash. The season is a long ways from being over, and DEN was playing a terrible KC D that was starting its #3 MLB.Just a couple of thoughts...

And yes Pony you were probably a Tatum Bell advocate. It is ok. And I am not talking trash. Just mentioning how good it feels to be very right on a player and know everyone that snickered was watching the Sunday night game.Especially when one of the owners that laughed at the pick had Daunte and a nice lead going into that Sunday night game against me.Wha happened???Well...More Cowbell 91 Team Culpepper 90. Final :)

Just watched the Sunday Night game on TiVO and was astonished by what I saw from the KC defense. Time after time after time, Denver would run a stretch to one side or the other, and KC would overpursue so much that when Q made his cut, he would get into the secondary (or beyond) without anyone literally even touching him.Q will find things much different Sunday against a disciplined Jax D that is one of the NFL's stoutest vs. the run.

Sounds like my drafts. I was definately questioned by a few. I think come year end we'll look back at this and say this was a difference maker in our championship!

I wouldn't talk too much trash. The season is a long ways from being over, and DEN was playing a terrible KC D that was starting its #3 MLB.Just a couple of thoughts...
Pony, I thought you gave up onthe anti Griffin bashing. I guess that didn't last long. I know you are a Bell lover with a serious man crush on him and if, I said if, he were the starter then I would agree. But he's not. Only injury or a couple of performance disaters will Bell become the man. I think you have better odds in the lottery or Vegas. ;)

I've had a friend defend his anti-Griffin stance the same way - it was a poor KC Defense. How do we know this? They were bad last year, but were supposed to have improved this year, and they have brought back Gunther to aid this process. Even if it was a poor Defense, aren't good RBs supposed to perform this way against poor RBs? Am I supposed to believe that the Cleveland Defense improved drastically in one season to hold Jamal Lewis to what they did, but that KC is incapable of making a similar leap? And please don't say Cleveland had a revenge factor, as the KC/Denver game is always a hotly contested divisional game so the motivation is there.

the quality of the defense may have played a part on SOME of the plays. but a couple of Q's cuts were so sick that I'm not sure the '85 Bears could have caught him.

Big fan of his talent or not, I find it a bit hard to believe that any experienced fantasy player would snicker when you took a starting RB in the 5th round. I was agnostic about Griffin. I knew I wasn't sold enough on him to take him when he's go, but I thought he was one of the best high risk/high reward players in the draft.Am I "more sold" on Griffin now? Sure. The guy has two monster games out of very few NFL starts. But I still recognize that's he's a risk.

Pony, I thought you gave up onthe anti Griffin bashing. I guess that didn't last long. I know you are a Bell lover with a serious man crush on him and if, I said if, he were the starter then I would agree. But he's not. Only injury or a couple of performance disaters will Bell become the man. I think you have better odds in the lottery or Vegas. ;)
lmao!Nah, I'm not going to knock Griffin's play in week 1. Good RBs punish bad Ds. I was just providing a word for the wise based upon some experience. KC's run D, especially with a 3rd string MLB, is suspect. I wouldn't assign too much to a great performance against them. Props? You bet. But let's keep it in perspective & see how Griffin does against a little tougher JAX run D this week.

A guy in my big money 12 team league drafted Q in the second round...to match up with the #1 overall pick Priest. He got some comments at the time, but looks like a damn genius now. What was his other pick on the turn? McNabb. I'm serious. This guy is new to our league and I hate him now. He set a league scoring record in his first game.

Just mentioning how good it feels to be very right on a player.
No matter how "sharky" someone is they are going to be wrong on some players, that is the nature of this game.Why are you so surprised you hit on a player, everyone has hit and misses, but most don't come on a message board bragging how right they were on their hits. Are you going to come on here later in the year and fill us in on your misses?I could list tons of hits and tons of misses that i've had over the years, why would anyone on here want to hear about them?The key is to be right more than your wrong, because being wrong on certain players is inevitable.I hope the flood of "I'm right, your wrong" posts come to a halt, they are ridiculous and serve no purpose.

Just mentioning how good it feels to be very right on a player.
No matter how "sharky" someone is they are going to be wrong on some players, that is the nature of this game.Why are you so surprised you hit on a player, everyone has hit and misses, but most don't come on a message board bragging how right they were on their hits. Are you going to come on here later in the year and fill us in on your misses?I could list tons of hits and tons of misses that i've had over the years, why would anyone on here want to hear about them?The key is to be right more than your wrong, because being wrong on certain players is inevitable.I hope the flood of "I'm right, your wrong" posts come to a halt, they are ridiculous and serve no purpose.
Look pal. Overanalyze much? I am not bragging or boasting. Q was no special find like Boldin was last year or anything.I think most people get the gist of my post.It is saying have you ever had people question a decision of yours...then you get to prove them wrong in style? Didn't you enjoy that moment? That is all I was trying to get across.

It is saying have you ever had people question a decision of yours...then you get to prove them wrong in style? Didn't you enjoy that moment? That is all I was trying to get across.
Everyone who has played FF for a while has been on both sides of the fence. Being right and wrong is part of the game.Talking trash, having it backfire and getting #### for it in the league that it happened is great.Doing it on a message board that isn't specific to your league is the lame part of it.

People can disclaim his performance by saying it was only against KC, but its a copout because:1) He scored 3 tds. Not one lucky one. Not two, but three;2) During two separate runs, he stopped on a dime, changed direction, and broke longer runs because of it. That's NFL quality play. If you don't see that, you don't recognize talent;3) He has the coveted Denver RB job. Not Tatum. Not Garrison. To prove that he belongs, Q kicked serious ### in his first and only opportunity this year. Jacksonville on the road will indeed provide a new test. But I bet Q gets at least 100 combined yards and 3/4 receptions.

damn, hitting with Q is sure making me quickly forget the KRob / Donald Driver debacle that was my WR corps last year :eek: I didn't see much of the game, can someone tell me if Q looks like the type of small back that doesn't take a huge pounding? There are some smaller guys that get worked, but some that seem to know how to avoid taking hte brunt of a hit...

Congratulations! Pat yourself on the back! Why not post this in your league forum instead of here. I'm sure they will appeciate it more. Unless your fishing for people to tell you how smart you were because you knew Q is a stud (which is yet to be seen and the KC defense is not the yardstick I would use to rate my RB after 1 game!).

snit: He never missed a game due to injury at OU. For whatever reason defenders rarely if ever get a big nasty square hit on the guy. I think his toughness will surprise many. But not me.

lmao!Nah, I'm not going to knock Griffin's play in week 1. Good RBs punish bad Ds. I was just providing a word for the wise based upon some experience. KC's run D, especially with a 3rd string MLB, is suspect. I wouldn't assign too much to a great performance against them. Props? You bet. But let's keep it in perspective & see how Griffin does against a little tougher JAX run D this week.
OK. We poor oh Griffin owners will have to suffer through the tough D's. I hope we're going to be alright. :D I think all the Griffin owners should start a support group. What could we call it? Oh, I know. How about the "I won my FF championship because I drafted Griffin" support group. Ya. I like that. :thumbup: Perhaps we could make our mission to console the other group known as "I missed the playoffs waiting on Bell to win the starting job" support group. :hot: Ya know, I like it when I'm right about my picks but to be told time and time again that it isn't real, it won't last, well, I just have make a post now and again to reassure the Griffin owners. I think guys like Ponyboy are really hoping that the guy in their league will fall for the Bell hype and trade Griffin away in fear. Because there just isn't any other realistic reason to continue acting this Bell hype (Griffin hate) out.Let's see where we are:1. Shannahan said Griffin would be the starter.2. Bell breaks finger and misses much of preseason.3. Shannahan names Griffin the starter.4. Bell sees minimal preseason action.5. Griffin starts 1st game (just like Shannahan said) and kicks as*!So where does that leave us? Um, Griffin solidly entrenched as the starter.

Congratulations! Pat yourself on the back! Why not post this in your league forum instead of here. I'm sure they will appeciate it more. Unless your fishing for people to tell you how smart you were because you knew Q is a stud (which is yet to be seen and the KC defense is not the yardstick I would use to rate my RB after 1 game!).
Ok I will admit. The sole purpose of this post was to prove my greatness to you. I also made my first million at 21 years old, scored the winning touchdown in the state championship game, then proceeded to take the prom queen's virginity after that game. And I did it in style.I am also quite handsome and the ladies love me. To top it off I have perfect teeth :brush: and a razor sharp wit.I am so good. I don't know why I tried to creatively disquise my supreme being in a small post about Quinten Griffen.MUhahahahhhahahahaha! :devil:

IAnyone else get laughed at for snagging Q ?
I didn't hear any comments when Griffin was drafted in any of my 3 drafts (37th in a 8 team, 46th in a 10 team and 44th in a 12 team). Of course there could have been some in my 12 team draft but the laughter of my Barlow pick at 11 may have drowned it out. :angry: My redemption for the Barlow ridicule was right after I took Dunn, the next guy says " I'll take the guy that scores on that team - Duckett." :lol: Willie

IAnyone else get laughed at for snagging Q ?
I didn't hear any comments when Griffin was drafted in any of my 3 drafts (37th in a 8 team, 46th in a 10 team and 44th in a 12 team). Of course there could have been some in my 12 team draft but the laughter of my Barlow pick at 11 may have drowned it out. :angry: My redemption for the Barlow ridicule was right after I took Dunn, the next guy says " I'll take the guy that scores on that team - Duckett." :lol: Willie
Hang in there on Barlow. He will do better. Be patient with him. As for the Dunn pick, classic! Seems every year he gets no respect. Dunn owners are rewarded nicely and this year he gets the TD's! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice read in the Denver Post

I took Q at 3.09 (12 teams) with Tiki, Garner and Duce still on the board. There were no giggles or comments then, but after the draft another owner ridiculed the pick in a lengthy league-wide email. He based his criticism on the other available backs being so much better. Anyway, yes it felt great to watch Q in action, but it is a long season, and the jury is out on the 4 backs in question. I do like my chances with Q though.

Jax has not allowed a 100 yard rusher in 16 consecutive games. My first two picks were also backs, Taylor and DDavis, so I have quite a decision here (can only start two, that is not the purpose of this post, and I don't want your advice).

I'm not one for bold predictions, but here's one. Q will break the Jags 16 game streak and go over 100 in Jax and on natural grass. Until he wears down, his quickness and vision are going to make him very good and a yardage monster.

Speaking of him wearing down. He did take some big hits and he needs to learn how to avoid them. He was clearly shook by a blow to the head on the sideline, and also a little glassy eyed in the fourth quarter from the pounding. I argued that he would be durable and his size wasn't an issue. I still believe his size isn't an issue, but he needs to avoid those big hits or it will be...

Bell looked fine in relief too. I think it's silly that this discussion evolved into "Bell good Q bad" or visa versa. They're both good. Whomever gets the rock will be an excellent fantasy back. For now Q looks great. I'm enjoying his success as much as any player I can remember. His size makes him fun to watch. His personality makes him someone to root for. His ankle breaking moves are a kick in the pants...

Rock on little man...

If you grabbed him in the fifth round you must have a small league, either that or yourQB legends league is not as SHARKISH as you hype it up to be. Especially if they laughat that pick in the 5th. round.BTW, if you have been following him since college and are his biggest fan (or so it sounds) you would know his name isGRIFFIN not GRIFFEN.

How can you call this a shark league if you got these 4 RB's in the 1st 5 rounds.DeuceD DavisBrownQ..Seems to me you need to trade one to get a better WR but to have people laugh at that pick in the 5 round is beyond me..Quentin didn't make it out of either of my 12 or 14 team leagues.How many in your league? 8Kuz

If you grabbed him in the fifth round you must have a small league, either that or yourQB legends league is not as SHARKISH as you hype it up to be. Especially if they laughat that pick in the 5th. round.BTW, if you have been following him since college and are his biggest fan (or so it sounds) you would know his name isGRIFFIN not GRIFFEN.
"If you grabbed him in the fifth round you must have a small league"Well it is 10 teams if you must know. Also not sure if you know what Q's ADP was. Maybe you should check into it. Then again I doubt you know what it stands for. Not sure of your point here."your QB legends league is not as SHARKISH as you hype it up to be."Hmmm I don't really recall HYPING up my league. Most of the owners are pretty sharp come draft day though. I am sure it isn't as tough as your league though. I am sure your league is far superior."Especially if they laugh at that pick in the 5th. round."Actually I said a few snickered. Nice exaggeration skills."BTW, if you have been following him since college and are his biggest fan (or so it sounds) you would know his name isGRIFFIN not GRIFFEN."You finally make a valid point here. Well sort of....I am a fan, but his biggest? NoAnd I apologize. It is GRIFFIN. Your spelling skills are top notch. Good work. I hear the Grammar Police are hiring. Hugs and kisses,

How can you call this a shark league if you got these 4 RB's in the 1st 5 rounds.DeuceD DavisBrownQ..Seems to me you need to trade one to get a better WR but to have people laugh at that pick in the 5 round is beyond me..Quentin didn't make it out of either of my 12 or 14 team leagues.How many in your league? 8Kuz
I never called it a shark league. But thanks for playing.Was it really that unusual for for Davis to go in Rd 2, Brown in Rd 3 and Q in Rd 5 in mid August? Honestly is it?To make you happy yes I was able to trade off one of my fine RBs for Holt.

I love how over half the threads on here end up in a, shall we say, urinating contest over respective league or drafting superiority. Invariably, the golden "How many teams are in your league? [insert number less than 8, but usually less than 6]?" dig appears at some point in these little tiffs. Like clockwork.Ahhhhh, feels like home.

I watched the game, and honestly I wasn't that impressed with Griffin's running. I didn't see anything special - just a major defensive breakdown by the Chiefs. This is counter to the heaps of praise lavished on Griffin by the commentators. Griffin ran hard, but the holes were huge. Next week at Jacksonville will be a much tougher test for him.

People who "giggle" don't make it into any of my leagues...

You must be a man's man then. You mean no boys from the pink team in your league? Yes the name of my league is "The giggling sassy boys all stars" next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread