What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (2 Viewers)

Quitting is very hard to do. And posting it on a message board will make it even worse so you are doomed to fail. Smoke outside the home if it makes you feel better. Sack up and do what you want,not what someone else says is good for you.

Baby on the way, promised my mom, sister, wife, blah blah blah.I hate resolutions, but have decided now is the time. I refuse to raise a kid around the nasty MF'ers.Vitals: Smoking on & off since i was 13 (1 year off is the longest time....so far)33 years old now, so nearly 20 years... :X Currently a little over a pack a dayHave tried to quit at least 6 other times.Last smoke, 10-15 min. after the new year started.Day One: (up at my normal 7 or 8 am & straight to work)First 6 hours i was craving them pretty regular. Mood was fine.Around 4 or 5 yesterday, I started having obvious emotional problems. Started arguing with my wife & needed a drive or it would have been ugly.Come home. Feel even worse. Take a xanex. Fall asleep at 7 pm :loco: (usually go to bed after 1 or so) sleep almost all night.Day Two:Bought some nicorette gum. Mood a little better, but still antsy. Watching the Saints aint helpin.Have to work tonight. This will be the first time around other smokers. Luckily, I am the GM & can tell the staff to take it outside. It will still be hard to resist.Wish me luck.
Go for it Tipsey.Don't listen to the people that say you can't do it. You can do it if you really want to. You won't if you don't really want to and don't mind raising your child in the smoke.Pulling for you.J

If all else fails, have a dip. It will kill the cravings for a good hour or two.
no thanks. used to dip at baseball games. won't touch the stuff ever again. :X
I used to feel the same way, but dip that comes in pouches isn't so bad. You don't get a bunch of tobacco in your mouth and you can control the dosage.

If all else fails, have a dip. It will kill the cravings for a good hour or two.
I used to feel the same way, but dip that comes in pouches isn't so bad. You don't get a bunch of tobacco in your mouth and you can control the dosage.
Hi Pant,I'd agree. Definitely better than smoking.J

Says the man from Kentucky :rotflmao: "Dip AND Smoke"!! :excited:

Joe- I'd have to disagree TOTALLY! My brother smoked for 15 years and tried the dip method. 10 years later he was trying to figure out a way to quit dipping.And 10 years of half filled cups filled with spit are far worse than ashtrays. I know this for a fact as I never accidentally drank ashes from an ashtray that looked similar to the one I was drinking from. :X

Do NOT use dip as an occasionaly alternative. As documented in another thread, my wife and I quit smoking in March when we found out she pregnant. It was tough, but we did it. I would have the occasional dip, started out once a week when I played golf or poker with the guys. It just escalated from there. I've gotten to the point where I am wanting it every day. I feel like a complete loser. I am quitting tomorrow, and while my nicotine addiction is nowhere near what it was in March, I'll be suffering with you.Good luck!

Do NOT use dip as an occasionaly alternative. As documented in another thread, my wife and I quit smoking in March when we found out she pregnant. It was tough, but we did it. I would have the occasional dip, started out once a week when I played golf or poker with the guys. It just escalated from there. I've gotten to the point where I am wanting it every day. I feel like a complete loser. I am quitting tomorrow, and while my nicotine addiction is nowhere near what it was in March, I'll be suffering with you.Good luck!
Hi Shuke,But :thumbup: for you in quitting. Great job. And good luck with the dip.J

Since you are addicted to nicotine, I would strongly suggest that you do not use any nicotine replacement products. You are just reinforcing your addiction. I quit three years ago and this sitewhyquit really helped. The guy who owns the the site basically has dedicated his life to helping people quit. He dispels a lot of false beliefs and takes a no nonsense approach to quitting. It has an ok message board as well. The articles are the best though. Totally free and highly recommended for anyone who is trying to quit.

I'd agree. Definitely better than smoking.J
Joe- I'd have to disagree TOTALLY!
I'm with the Shiek.I dipped (half a can of copenhagen a day) for three years and then smoked (half-pack a day) for another three. That was several years ago. Now, the sight and smell of dip absolutely repulses me. Totally disgusting. Cigarettes, on the other hand, are still very appealing, though I limit it to about 5 a year.Good luck, Mr. McStagger. :thumbup:

I have not had a smoke since the middle of October.I give it :thumbup: :thumbup: Still have cravings (especially while driving and at the bar) but the longer you last the easier it gets.Stick it out. Your kid deserves it.

Not a smoker. However I have a lot of smokers in my family and close friends, which I wish would make the same decision as you did.Making the decision to quit was the first victory. First day without a smoke was the second victory... keep it up!Best of luck to you!

I'm with ya.Tried not too long ago but the headaches were ridiculous. Although folks from this board were encouraging, I'm not gonna do it "cold Turkey". Went from pack to pack and a half a day down to 8-10 now. I can pretty much tell ya the ten and they're all hard. After I eat, when I wake, when I sleep, after sex etc. Looking at those no nicotine Quest cigarrettes, may try them then.Rest of the day, I eat alot of lollipops(figure that oral fixation thing so I tried and it's working) cinammon candies and well anything like that. Oddly enough best thing for me is a cinammon stick. If a craving gets bad I run a short distance as fast as can be hopefully get me huffing and puffing. Smell my clothes doesn't work but looking at cieling or smelling drapes does for whatever reason. I guess clothes are assumed stinky. Twice I bit the tip off a cig and spit it out. It's just gross and maybe I need to get my mind set on thinking that it's gross. It was silly but really worked.Now I can smell things. Didn't realize my sense of smell was so awful before. I'm like a girl in a store smelling soap and air fresheners but..Brushing my teeth real often was helping but my gums are rrrraw now. Just swigging listerine often now instead. Is that removing nicotine? Dunno but it certainly helps.Trying pretty hard this time. If streaking down the street naked would make me quit, I'd do it. I'll try anything now.Friend quit fast(wanna say 2 weeks) with Smoke Away. I'm tempted. Patch and gum never worked for either of us. Commercial is hysterical that he says "I'd rather chew on a cigarette."

:thumbup: :thumbup: I was never a smoker, but I used chewless tobacco for a couple years, and that was tough enough to give up. I found I just needed something similar, used the nontobacco snuff for awhile, then just hard candy or seeds. It took awhile, and I wasn't a long termer.Good luck, and stick with it!

I was up to THREE (3) packs/day.......I smoked so much, the fire dept followed me around...

Wouldn't go to movies because I couldn't go 2 hrs without one!

My entire life revolved around whether or not I could smoke while doing it.

I couldn't even dream of going a single day without smoking.

Everytime I tried to quit I'd tell myself..."If I can quit for just ONE DAY, I can quit forever"...

...Problem was....I could NEVER go without smoking for even one day.

Then (ta da)....on Thanksgiving Day, 1996...I went to bed without having had a single cigarette. The first time I'd done this in about 20yrs.

That was it...from that point on...every time I thought about lighting up a smoke, I reminded myself that I may NEVER get a another day...if I smoke now...that smokeless day may never come again.

Sure enough...I went to bed that night having not smoked for TWO days!!

That locked it! Every time I thought about smoking...I just remembered that ONE DAY!

I haven't touched one since...and never will!

Good luck! It CAN be done!

Day 3.Feeling better this morning. The gum is making me queazy, so i may switch to the patch today if i start getting "angry" again. Work was tough, at least at the end of the shift last night while my staff cleaned up. Thats the point in the night when i tend to smoke the most. I did start my night at the restaurant by yelling at one of my cooks. I apologized later & we were cool, but it made me realize how hard this is going to be. My fuse is so small right now it would only take a small incident to make me angry. I am doing some psuedo yoga breathing to replace my smoke breaks in a vain attempt (so far) to stay calm.Its all for my kid...........What other motivation do i need?As far as the dipping debate, why would i want to go from one addiction to another? :loco: Thanks for all the support so far. :thumbup:

I was up to THREE (3) packs/day.......I smoked so much, the fire dept followed me around...

Wouldn't go to movies because I couldn't go 2 hrs without one!

My entire life revolved around whether or not I could smoke while doing it.

I couldn't even dream of going a single day without smoking.

Everytime I tried to quit I'd tell myself..."If I can quit for just ONE DAY, I can quit forever"...

...Problem was....I could NEVER go without smoking for even one day.

Then (ta da)....on Thanksgiving Day, 1996...I went to bed without having had a single cigarette. The first time I'd done this in about 20yrs.

That was it...from that point on...every time I thought about lighting up a smoke, I reminded myself that I may NEVER get a another day...if I smoke now...that smokeless day may never come again.

Sure enough...I went to bed that night having not smoked for TWO days!!

That locked it! Every time I thought about smoking...I just remembered that ONE DAY!

I haven't touched one since...and never will!

Good luck! It CAN be done!
sounds like an A.A. speech....& it is good stuff. I am going hour to hour right now rather than day to day.Small goals.

Good Post. :thumbup:

The gum is making me queazy, so i may switch to the patch today if i start getting "angry" again. As far as the dipping debate, why would i want to go from one addiction to another? :loco:
Congrats on your resolve to quit. Just remember that there's no difference between taking a dip and putting a patch on or chewing the gum - you're still feeding your nicotine addiction. Gut it out if you can. The quicker your body is cleansed of nicotine, the quicker the withdrawal period will be over.Good luck!

Joe- I'd have to disagree TOTALLY! My brother smoked for 15 years and tried the dip method. 10 years later he was trying to figure out a way to quit dipping.And 10 years of half filled cups filled with spit are far worse than ashtrays. I know this for a fact as I never accidentally drank ashes from an ashtray that looked similar to the one I was drinking from. :X
have fun and drink from another persons spit bottle (worst tasting root beer evah :X :yucky: )

Good luck Tipsey.It can be done. I quit last New Years after having been a pack a day smoker for 10 years. It is hard, no getting around that, but it will be worth it. :yes:

Its all for my kid...........What other motivation do i need?
Keep remembering that.It's why I stopped dipping.Plus, those cups are downright nasty.Every so often I still get a yearning for a dip, I suspect those who have done it longer than I did have a much worse time.Keep up the fight, and never quit quitting!

My father (who is also my boss) quit on the 1st and is cranky as hell... It's gonna be a rough week both at work and at home.

i've dipped in the past. i did very little of it & it would start to make my gumline "soft". That only occurred a couple of times before i decided to never do the stuff again. Too bad i had the same knowledge of the dangers of smoking (having lost a grandmother to lung cancer @ 55 years old :( ). The amount of phlem my body is already producing is extreme. I swear one of those lugies was glowing this morning.I've only had a few mild cravings so far this morning. No nicorette yet today, but am finally chewing my 1st piece of gum for the day.Gawd my jaws hurt from chewing trident & nicorette. Today i haven't felt like killing anyone yet. (well, there is that kid across the street with the unibrow. :hot: )

i've dipped in the past. i did very little of it & it would start to make my gumline "soft". That only occurred a couple of times before i decided to never do the stuff again. Too bad i had the same knowledge of the dangers of smoking (having lost a grandmother to lung cancer @ 55 years old :( ).

The amount of phlem my body is already producing is extreme. I swear one of those lugies was glowing this morning.

I've only had a few mild cravings so far this morning. No nicorette yet today, but am finally chewing my 1st piece of gum for the day.

Gawd my jaws hurt from chewing trident & nicorette.

Today i haven't felt like killing anyone yet. (well, there is that kid across the street with the unibrow. :hot: )
Sunflower seeds!Eat sunflower seeds!

I ate so many damn sunflower seeds when I was quitting...my crap looked like a Stuckey's Pecan Log....and it hurt like hell pushing it out!

Keep it up Tipsey and good for you.On a serious note, does anyone know how you go about finding a hypnotist for this kind of thing? BSR wants to quit and nothing else is working but he thought maybe that would work. Anyone know?

Seriously wish you the best of luck! :thumbup: I quit a while back (about 9 months ago when I re-enlisted) but have recently been stuck in a rut of smoking 1 cigarette a day.Every morning when I leave for work, I put 1 cigarette in my center console of the car. I smoke it on the ride home and that's all I have for the day.This drives my doctor batty that I smoke only 1 ... but ... it is a burned in habit that I cannot seem to break.

i really want a smoke, but choose not to right now. :hot:It is killing me after eating.I gotta say everything im eating, smelling, etc.. is really more pronounced already. I am afraid if i don't start excersising right now, im going to get really fat.the breathing deeply everytime i get the urge is helping too.

Keep it up Tipsey and good for you.On a serious note, does anyone know how you go about finding a hypnotist for this kind of thing? BSR wants to quit and nothing else is working but he thought maybe that would work. Anyone know?
My mom tried a hypnotist, it didn't work. I quit 7 years ago using the patch. I had no withdrawls or cravings. A lot of it is mindset.

i really want a smoke, but choose not to right now. :hot:It is killing me after eating.I gotta say everything im eating, smelling, etc.. is really more pronounced already. I am afraid if i don't start excersising right now, im going to get really fat.the breathing deeply everytime i get the urge is helping too.
Get some Stim-U-Dents, and gnaw on them after meals.

My mom tried a hypnotist, it didn't work. I quit 7 years ago using the patch. I had no withdrawls or cravings. A lot of it is mindset.
Really? Crap. Well, I guess we'll have to look into the patch thing. He tried that once and quit for awhile but started up again.

Keep it up Tipsey and good for you.On a serious note, does anyone know how you go about finding a hypnotist for this kind of thing?  BSR wants to quit and nothing else is working but he thought maybe that would work.  Anyone know?
Really? Crap. Well, I guess we'll have to look into the patch thing. He tried that once and quit for awhile but started up again.
I can't even be around it anymore. It smells so bad. I was a heavy smoker too. I think you need to tell yourself you 'are' quitting. Not that you're going to try. Smoking is no longer an option in your life. I know it's not easy to do. It was harder for me to cut milk and sugar from coffee than it was cigs. Now I can't even imagine putting that stuff in my coffee, anymore than I can imagine putting a stinky cig in my mouth. :)

Another idea to help you quit ...You can find medical supply dealers who can sell you a lung in a jar of formaldehyde.Take one of these Bad Larry's and soak it up nice in some creosote and driveway tar. Then carry that jar around with you for the day. Everytime you want a smoke … look at the lung. "This is your lung on butts. Any questions?"

:yes: nobody likes a quitter.one of my favorite lines to use on people. only fair it gets thrown at me.nice job. thank you, come again.
Just hang in there. I quit chewing copenhagen after 19 years several years ago. The first 2 months were brutal. Felt like my skin was crawling, couldn't sleep, ate everything in sight, nerves were shot etc. I started back up a few months ago because, don't really know why. I was just bumbing dips at my softball games and next thing I know I am dipping again. Suppose I'll quit again soon.

I'm trying to quit smoking as well. Its been 3 days since my last smoke! I'm using the patch and it is working wonderfully.I smoked a pack a day for years. I've thought "i'd like a smoke right now" but denying the craving hasn't been hard at all with the patch. I can tell when it is starting to wear off because I start to get munchies and my craving goes up.I haven't had any of the jitters that I've gotten when trying to stop before. My wife and I haven't even argued (which is usually the hardest part of stopping... how tense it makes you). I definitely advise going with the patch, at least at this point.

Never smoke cigarettes enough to be addicted, but I watched my mom, dad, and MIL all quit.Mom just told me one day that she was tired of it and it cost too much. She hasn't smoked since (15 years ago). No patches, no help, just quit. I honestly didn't think she had it in her.Dad lied about quitting and would smoke in the shed. He couldn't smell his clothes, but we could and always asked him when he came in "did you enjoy your smoke?" He'd deny, we'd laugh and tell him he stinks. About a year after that he finally quit. He used the patch, but I think he still sneeks an occassional in.MIL was a smoker when we had our first child. My wife told her that we would be bringing the baby over if she was going to smoke in the house--MIL & FIL would have to visit us (we live in town). MIL would go outside to smoke and I guess she finally got tired of it and quit. She used the patch. Thought for sure she'd go back when FIL passed away two years ago, but she didn't. Funny to see her practically gag when she gets a whiff of cigarette smoke/clothes stench these days. She used to get mad when we told her to wash her jacked because it stunk.I have friends who have tried for their kids...they failed. They "hide" the smoking from their kids. :rolleyes:Bottom line: if you want to quit, you can. Trick is that you have to want to quit, you can't do it because someone else wants you to. It's the same for any addiction.Good luck!

Bottom line: if you want to quit, you can. Trick is that you have to want to quit, you can't do it because someone else wants you to. It's the same for any addiction.
Bingo. I quit 3 times before I Quit for good. I actually kept a half a pack around for about a year afterwards in my nightstand, but never smoked one. I quit one morning in November 3 years ago after coming in from my morning smoke at work and realizing I smelled terrible and felt like crap.If you want to stop smoking, you can do it very easily. Its the "wanting to stop" - honestly wanting to quit - thats the hard part. I wouldn't encourage anyone to try and quit unless they absolutely wanted to, and at that point, they wouldn't need any encouragement in the first place.Colin

What's a pack of cigs cost these days? I ran some numbers through a spreadsheet based on the assumption the cost is $3. That's $1095 a year.If invested that money for 20 years and averaged 8% return (the historical returns of stocks), you'd have $54,118.10 at the end of the 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread