What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (2 Viewers)

What's a pack of cigs cost these days? I ran some numbers through a spreadsheet based on the assumption the cost is $3. That's $1095 a year.If invested that money for 20 years and averaged 8% return (the historical returns of stocks), you'd have $54,118.10 at the end of the 20 years.
Now do it for beer.

What's a pack of cigs cost these days? I ran some numbers through a spreadsheet based on the assumption the cost is $3. That's $1095 a year.If invested that money for 20 years and averaged 8% return (the historical returns of stocks), you'd have $54,118.10 at the end of the 20 years.
I regularly spend about 4.00$ a pack (at least I did...).In the city (Chicago) its more, IIRC about 5.00 a pack...

Day 4. I do want to stop. I've fully committed to not picking the nasty things up again, as stated before, for my child in the womb, for my wife (who quit cold turkey the moment she found out she was pregnant), for my always nagging mother who hates smoke so bad, she refuses to go to smokers houses, and for my sister who has already battled 2 different cancers & is only 2 years older than me.But most importantly, I am no longer smoking because I don't want to be a smoker. It is a nasty habit & I am done with it. Yes, i am still in the withdrawl stages, but i already feel like a nonsmoker. The smell in my clothes is killing me. The smell in my car. I am picking up odors from food that i forgot exisited. And wine is already tasting better too (important considering my line of work). I have devoloped an almost constant cough. My body is starting the healing process. I am starting to eat more than normal, but will level that off. If i could start working out, I would be in good shape.Smoking 20 years or so. Pack a day for most of it. Well over $20,000 spent on something that can only kill me. :hot:

Bottom line: if you want to quit, you can. Trick is that you have to want to quit, you can't do it because someone else wants you to. It's the same for any addiction.
Bingo. I quit 3 times before I Quit for good. I actually kept a half a pack around for about a year afterwards in my nightstand, but never smoked one. I quit one morning in November 3 years ago after coming in from my morning smoke at work and realizing I smelled terrible and felt like crap.If you want to stop smoking, you can do it very easily. Its the "wanting to stop" - honestly wanting to quit - thats the hard part. I wouldn't encourage anyone to try and quit unless they absolutely wanted to, and at that point, they wouldn't need any encouragement in the first place.

Colin
Agreed...I tell people

"when your desire to quit becomes greater than you desire to smoke...you'll quit then...not before."

....then, I usually followi that with a

...."as quickly as you can...snatch the pebbles from my hand.."

...a few more years under my belt and I"ll qualify as a Wise Old Sage!! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to quit smoking as well. Its been 3 days since my last smoke! I'm using the patch and it is working wonderfully.I smoked a pack a day for years. I've thought "i'd like a smoke right now" but denying the craving hasn't been hard at all with the patch. I can tell when it is starting to wear off because I start to get munchies and my craving goes up.I haven't had any of the jitters that I've gotten when trying to stop before. My wife and I haven't even argued (which is usually the hardest part of stopping... how tense it makes you). I definitely advise going with the patch, at least at this point.
Good luck & hang in there. I did the patch last time i quit. It left rashes on my skin & gave me really intense dreams. It also didn't help, mainly because i wasn't committed.

I'm trying to quit smoking as well. Its been 3 days since my last smoke! I'm using the patch and it is working wonderfully.I smoked a pack a day for years. I've thought "i'd like a smoke right now" but denying the craving hasn't been hard at all with the patch. I can tell when it is starting to wear off because I start to get munchies and my craving goes up.I haven't had any of the jitters that I've gotten when trying to stop before. My wife and I haven't even argued (which is usually the hardest part of stopping... how tense it makes you). I definitely advise going with the patch, at least at this point.
Good luck & hang in there. I did the patch last time i quit. It left rashes on my skin & gave me really intense dreams. It also didn't help, mainly because i wasn't committed.
The dreams are the worst! I still fear putting that patch on when I get committed again. (That last part didn't come out right.)

I regularly spend about 4.00$ a pack (at least I did...).In the city (Chicago) its more, IIRC about 5.00 a pack...
$4 packs = $72,157.47 $5 packs = $90,196.83This is assuming a pack a day for 365 days every year.Actual out of pocket cost over 20 years:$3 packs - $21,900$4 - $29,200$5 - $36,500I honest don't get why people start smoking...I was always too cheap. Cigarettes never made me feel good, so the cost was not justified.Honestly, what's the benefit to smoking?

quit about 5 years ago. after having smoked for about 8.hardest part was breaking the routines associated with smoking.. smoke after dinner, smoke with beer, smoke after smoking ( :bag: ). the headaches, irritability, all that stuff goes away in short order. and once you notice the benefits of not smoking anymore (food has flavor again, climbing stairs without wheezing, you don't stink) you'll wonder why you ever did it in the first place.good luck brah.

easy to dismiss anything you have never done. they provided relief from boredom, combined with coffee maid for a nice diet plan, freshened the room with a crisp burning tar scent, made the drapes turn colors, always looked classy & sophisticated, made me "cool" in high school, kept me from spending money on more crack rocks, etc.... I wish the tax was so tremendous on smokes that I would have never started. If smokes cost $5 a pack in the mid eighties, i wouldn't have been able to afford them. I think this country would benefit greatly by at least doubling the taxes on smokes right now...."give me a pack of camel lights..........that'll be $12.73 sir & may i see your ID." That would discourage a few more smokers me thinks.Too bad the tobacco lobby is stronger than the voices of the people.

quit about 5 years ago. after having smoked for about 8.hardest part was breaking the routines associated with smoking.. smoke after dinner, smoke with beer, smoke after smoking ( :bag: ). the headaches, irritability, all that stuff goes away in short order. and once you notice the benefits of not smoking anymore (food has flavor again, climbing stairs without wheezing, you don't stink) you'll wonder why you ever did it in the first place.good luck brah.
ty :thumbup:

easy to dismiss anything you have never done.
I'm not dismissing it. Sorry if I gave that impression. I just never understood why people started.I hung out with the crowd in HS that stood just off school prop. so we could smoke. Bought a few packs myself, bummed a cig occassionally. Just never saw the benefit (of smoking cigarettes...now other "smokes" got more of my money in HS). My first year in the military, a guy in the dorms told me "I need a vice. I need something that's bad for me. I'm gonna start smoking." Dude was serious. He'd never smoked since I knew him (6 months). A couple months later, he bragged "I've worked my way up to a pack a day!." I simply didn't understand why--I still don't.I'm not being critical of anyone here, just wondering what made you start. Is it completely due to the "cool" factor?

I wish the tax was so tremendous on smokes that I would have never started. If smokes cost $5 a pack in the mid eighties, i wouldn't have been able to afford them. I think this country would benefit greatly by at least doubling the taxes on smokes right now...."give me a pack of camel lights..........that'll be $12.73 sir & may i see your ID." That would discourage a few more smokers me thinks.
buddy of mine was in town (Green Bay) from Manhattan, over the holidays.pulled up to a gas station so he could buy some Camel's. came out with a super-cheesy grin and said "$3.50!! DUDE!! $3.50!! i might have to buy a carton or something. these things cost me $7.50 in NY!"

I haven't had any weird dreams yet. Although a friend of mine had to go off of the patch because of them.No rashes yet. Its working well but today is my first day back at work since quitting and I've already wanted a smoke more than the previous days combined...Several reasons motivated me to quit. Mostly, the amount of money that you piss away with smokes. My wife and I both smoked (we are both quitting right now) a pack a day. 3.50 per pack per day x 2 people = approx. 200$ a month. It is merely the answer to the question of where we can cut expenses. 200$ a month is alot of money.Good luck, tipsy. Smoking is a filthy, worthless, expensive habit to have.

easy to dismiss anything you have never done.
I'm not dismissing it. Sorry if I gave that impression. I just never understood why people started.I hung out with the crowd in HS that stood just off school prop. so we could smoke. Bought a few packs myself, bummed a cig occassionally. Just never saw the benefit (of smoking cigarettes...now other "smokes" got more of my money in HS). My first year in the military, a guy in the dorms told me "I need a vice. I need something that's bad for me. I'm gonna start smoking." Dude was serious. He'd never smoked since I knew him (6 months). A couple months later, he bragged "I've worked my way up to a pack a day!." I simply didn't understand why--I still don't.I'm not being critical of anyone here, just wondering what made you start. Is it completely due to the "cool" factor?
I "started" at 15 or so and I don't remember why. I know I was curious to try it but can't remember why I started buying all the time. I'd be willing to bet it had something to do with "rebel image" that cigs portray.I stopped smoking at 20 and started again 6 mos (about) later. This time because I was dating a girl that smoked. Unfortunately, she did other things well also and I got her preggo which kicked in just enough stress to break down and start again.So its been about 6 or 7 years. I'll be glad to stop smoking and start spending that money on something more rewarding.

Keep it up Tipsy.Today is day 2 without my daily dip. It's really not bad at all (compared to what I went through when I quit smoking). Only thing, that's a problem, because I already have that little devil on my shoulder saying, "See, you can quit anytime. You're not really addicted, and everything's healthy in moderation".

I have devoloped an almost constant cough.
this was the impetus for me to quit.hated the idea of the smoker's cough. hated it. started to get it, noticed that i was easily winded, realized that smoking has zero benefits, only negatives, and quit.just like that.woke up one day.. threw out my smokes and that was that.

I am also thinking of quitting. I love to play sports, and often wondered what it would be like if I was actually 'in shape' for a season.Soon enough, though. I had a buddy who quit cold turkey. He walked around with a unlit cig in his mouth like Sam Farha. He said it helped with the mentality of it all.

I have devoloped an almost constant cough.
this was the impetus for me to quit.hated the idea of the smoker's cough. hated it. started to get it, noticed that i was easily winded, realized that smoking has zero benefits, only negatives, and quit.just like that.woke up one day.. threw out my smokes and that was that.
the coughing has been post quitting. lungs hockin it up. :X

My fiancé and I decided to quit together. Our plan was to taper our smoking when we returned from Vegas about a month ago. According to the plan, we made sure we were at or below 15 per day for Week 1 -- 10 per day for Week 2 -- 5 per day up until New Years Eve. It turns out 15 a day was about what I was smoking anyway so Week 1 was nothing. To be honest, I never got down to a strict limit of 5 but I was usually right around 7 or 8 per day.

My feeling going into this was “Hey, if I can’t do it, I can’t do it and I’ll try again whenever. I don’t REALLY want to quit but I should.” My fiancé however has been very determined.

I bought one more pack for New Years Eve and smoked 16 that day and that was that. Saturday came and went with no major cravings. I wanted the “Post-Sex” and “Post-Meal” cigs but the craving really wasn’t that bad. Sunday came and went again with no significant problems. I was drinking and watching football and no major issues. Monday was more of the same (we had off of work).

My fiancé was crying fairly badly on Sunday for no reason except she hadn’t had a cigarette but beyond that has been OK. I’m 34 and have been smoking about 13 years or so – never more than a pack a day. I’m doing this cold-turkey and find it to be relatively easy. Those remaining 4 cigs from the New Years Eve pack have been sitting within eyesight the entire weekend. I’m not sure why I did that but I wanted to see how I’d respond.

The toughest part is the habit part, knowing that right after a meal I usually would smoke, etc. I think because my fiancé really wants to quit is making it very easy to abstain. I don’t want to let her down or make it harder for her.

Anyway, that’s my experience so far. Good Luck to those trying to quit.

I quit over Xmas after smoking for about 15 years. I was in Ohio at the in-laws and can't smoke inside. It was -10 outside so I didn't feel like freezing to death. Quitting wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I'm already starting to breathe/feel much better.

Day 5:Woke up rather cranky this morning. Seeing the mock thread about starting smoking didn't help the mood. ILUVBEER99 is a dead man :hot: (not really...kinda of funny) . Slipped up & had one last night. Opps. I was tired & a bit drunk after being at work for the second double in a row. 3rd double is today. I did only smoke half of it before i felt dizzy enough to pass out.I'm not going to sweat having had one. It is not a sign of me failing. It is a sign that those little nasty buggers still have sway on me. I will make it without one today.I wish i could post pics of the lung biscuits coming up. Seeing those might be enough to keep me off the junk for life.

I'm not going to sweat having had one. It is not a sign of me failing.
Just realize this is the addiction talking. You're halfway to convincing yourself that since that one was ok, "one more isn't going to hurt anything" and so on.

I'm not going to sweat having had one. It is not a sign of me failing.
Just realize this is the addiction talking. You're halfway to convincing yourself that since that one was ok, "one more isn't going to hurt anything" and so on.
Actually, i tend to beat myself up over mistakes like this.The smoke was nasty, i threw it away in disgust, and was very pissed at myself for having had it. I am taking a lighter stance today because i don't need the guilt all day. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be a smoker anymore. I am done. I f'd up last night & am pissed about it. But i will not obsess about the mistake today. I will continue to distance myself from wanting them or being around them.After i puffed a few times, I threw it away & kicked out all the staff who were smoking. I was rather a "richardhead" about it, but knew i needed to get away from the smell & sights.

Day 6.Urges to smoke happening less & less.Urges to kill happening more & more.I think part of it is that i've worked 8 out of the last 8 shifts at the restaurant. I'm tired, cranky, my ahole assistant manager just came back & waited no less than 5 minutes to insult me. I'm back at my house getting a shower right now, but am about to go back & send her home for the day. :hot: I think she picked the wrong week to be beehatchy to me. Ooops.

Day 6.Urges to smoke happening less & less.Urges to kill happening more & more.I think part of it is that i've worked 8 out of the last 8 shifts at the restaurant. I'm tired, cranky, my ahole assistant manager just came back & waited no less than 5 minutes to insult me. I'm back at my house getting a shower right now, but am about to go back & send her home for the day. :hot: I think she picked the wrong week to be beehatchy to me. Ooops.
I definitely crave cigarettes at work more then at home. The stress makes me want to smoke more than anything.

I think part of it is that i've worked 8 out of the last 8 shifts at the restaurant. I'm tired, cranky, my ahole assistant manager just came back & waited no less than 5 minutes to insult me. I'm back at my house getting a shower right now, but am about to go back & send her home for the day. :hot: I think she picked the wrong week to be beehatchy to me. Ooops.
actually, screw all that. I'm going home. She can work the double. I just had it out with the owner on the phone & told him im not scheduling her while im there.

Since you are addicted to nicotine, I would strongly suggest that you do not use any nicotine replacement products. You are just reinforcing your addiction. I quit three years ago and this sitewhyquit really helped. The guy who owns the the site basically has dedicated his life to helping people quit. He dispels a lot of false beliefs and takes a no nonsense approach to quitting. It has an ok message board as well. The articles are the best though. Totally free and highly recommended for anyone who is trying to quit.
My Cigarette, My Friend How do you feel about a friend who has to go everywhere with you? Not only does he tag along all the time, but since he is so offensive and vulgar, you become unwelcome when with him. He has a peculiar odor that sticks to you wherever you go. Others think both of you stink. He controls you totally. When he says jump, you jump. Sometimes in the middle of a blizzard or storm, he wants you to come to the store and pick him up. You would give your spouse hell if he or she did that to you all the time, but you can't argue with your friend. Sometimes, when you are out at a movie or play he says he wants you to go stand in the lobby with him and miss important scenes. Since he calls all the shots in your life, you go. Your friend doesn't like your choice of clothing either. Instead of politely telling you that you have lousy taste, he burns little holes in these items so you will want to throw them out. Sometimes, he tires of the furniture and gets rid of it too. Occasionally, he gets really nasty and decides the whole house must go. He gets pretty expensive to support. Not only is his knack of property destruction costly, but you must pay to keep him with you. In fact, he will cost you thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And you can count on one thing, he will never pay you a penny in return. Often at picnics you watch others playing vigorous activities and having lots of fun doing them. But your friend won't let you. He doesn't believe in physical activity. In his opinion, you are too old to have that kind of fun. So he kind of sits on your chest and makes it difficult for you to breathe. Now you don't want to go off and play with other people when you can't breathe, do you? Your friend does not believe in being healthy. He is really repulsed by the thought of you living a long and productive life. So every chance he gets he makes you sick. He helps you catch colds and flu. Not just by running out in the middle of the lousy weather to pick him up at the store. He is more creative than that. He carries thousands of poisons with him which he constantly blows in your face. When you inhale some of them, they wipe out cilia in your lungs which would have helped you prevent these diseases. But colds and flu are just his form of child's play. He especially likes diseases that slowly cripple you - like emphysema. He considers this disease great. Once he gets you to have this, you will give up all your other friends, family, career goals, activities - everything. You will just sit home and caress him, telling him what a great friend he is while you desperately gasp for air. But eventually your friend tires of you. He decides he no longer wishes to have your company. Instead of letting you go your separate ways, he decides to kill you. He has a wonderful arsenal of weapons behind him. In fact, he has been plotting your death since the day you met him. He picked all the top killers in society and did everything in his power to ensure you would get one of them. He overworked your heart and lungs. He clogged up the arteries to your heart, brain, and every other part of your body. In case you were too strong to succumb to this, he constantly exposed you to cancer causing agents. He knew he would get you sooner or later. Well, this is the story of your "friend," your cigarette. No real friend would do all this to you. Cigarettes are the worst possible enemies you ever had. They are expensive, addictive, socially unacceptable, and deadly. Consider all this and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
I love it. Nice site man!

IMHO these three aids in the quest to be a non-smoker are beneficial:

1. Download this and look at it every time you want a smoke.

2. Join and post on a quit smoking newsgroup

3. Without a doubt the most important thing is exercise. Buy a bike and ride it as fast as you can for as long as you can every day. Or run. Or jump-rope. Just do something to get your heartrate up, feel the joys of not smoking, and let the endorphins drown that temporary craving you are having.

Hope that helps.

how's this coming along?
Day 7i had that slip a couple of days ago. Haven't since. Still a bit edgy, nearly lost it with my assistant manager yesterday, but took the day off instead. She actually apologized to me with a nice card later on in the day.I am really wanting to go play cards at the casino, but don' wanna be near the smoke. I hate playing online, and i am supposed to be saving money, not gambling with it.urges to smoke way downeating like a pig. gained 5 pounds intsantly this week. trying to eat more veggies now. no more sodas/snacky treats in the house.i quit using the gum. that website someone linked here really got my head straight. I didn't realize 72 hours max was the physical withdrawl timeframe. Its the mental ones that im mainly dealing with now.thanks for asking.

hey tipsy-did you download that meter I linked you to a couple of posts above? it helped me immensely. take pride in the time and don't cheat. if you cheat it doesn't work. my meter is climbing pretty well these days.don't forget to exercise. it really helps more than anything.

hey tipsy-did you download that meter I linked you to a couple of posts above? it helped me immensely. take pride in the time and don't cheat. if you cheat it doesn't work. my meter is climbing pretty well these days.don't forget to exercise. it really helps more than anything.
Day 8:Feeling great.I have gained 6 pounds according to my scale. time to get that bike working.I am missing it less & less.

Day 8:Feeling great.I have gained 6 pounds according to my scale. time to get that bike working.I am missing it less & less.
Congrats Brotha...keep it going. :thumbup:

I didn't even think about one this morning with my first coffee. :shock:
only gets easier. you'll won't think about them for one hour, then two, then half a day, then a day, then a week, then a month, then a year, etc.

good stuff by the way.thanks. :thumbup:

Day 11 of my nonsmoking life.I have not really craved one since last night. Today has been the best so far. I haven't had the munchies all day either. Starting to get motivated on getting the tobacco smell out of my house. I'm considering buying all new furniture & clothing. I really feel good now. I now the cravings are not even close to being done, but my true desire to smoke is fading very quickly now. Today was the first time I walked by a smoker & mentally went :X in a very, very, extremely long time.I hope I don't become a preachy ex-smoker, but i almost feel obligated to spend the rest of my days convincing others to quit.

Congrats, tipsy!Now, perhaps you can help me with my strange addiction: Watching your avatar. It's like a car wreck...I can't look away...

Keep it up Tipsey and good for you.On a serious note, does anyone know how you go about finding a hypnotist for this kind of thing?  BSR wants to quit and nothing else is working but he thought maybe that would work.  Anyone know?
My mom tried a hypnotist, it didn't work. I quit 7 years ago using the patch. I had no withdrawls or cravings. A lot of it is mindset.
Really? Crap. Well, I guess we'll have to look into the patch thing. He tried that once and quit for awhile but started up again.
If only there was a way you could bribe him.

Keep it up Tipsey and good for you.On a serious note, does anyone know how you go about finding a hypnotist for this kind of thing?  BSR wants to quit and nothing else is working but he thought maybe that would work.  Anyone know?
My mom tried a hypnotist, it didn't work. I quit 7 years ago using the patch. I had no withdrawls or cravings. A lot of it is mindset.
Really? Crap. Well, I guess we'll have to look into the patch thing. He tried that once and quit for awhile but started up again.
Damn your good memory!!! :rant: :lol:

Damn your good memory!!! :rant: :lol:
Just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread