What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (3 Viewers)

Any of you guys going to watch Threshold?  Being touted as the "creepiest show since Twin Peaks".
who says this? that's the kind of thing that gets tossed out by one of those lame review syndicates that appear with really bad movies...
Maxim.

Any of you guys going to watch Threshold?  Being touted as the "creepiest show since Twin Peaks".
who says this? that's the kind of thing that gets tossed out by one of those lame review syndicates that appear with really bad movies...
Maxim.
ah, well, that explains it. this might be the first and only time this gets said but here goes...maxim is no entertainment weekly.

This Wednesday, 9 PM.
Apparently the first episode was screened in Hawaii in front of locals. There are spoilers all over the net (including the board linked on the oceanic-air site). I'm trying my hardest not to cheat. :no:

Great editorial from Stephen King to LOST execs.
Maybe one reason this summer's movie offerings looked so cheesy was that they came after a particularly brilliant TV season, starring (but certainly not limited to) Desperate Housewives, 24, The Wire, The Shield, and Lost.Ah, Lost. There's never been anything like it on TV for capturing the imagination, except The Twilight Zone and The X-Files. The series may have at first seemed a rough fictional equivalent of Survivor, but Lost parted company from such wheezy rituals as Tribal Councils almost immediately, and there are no immunity challenges (I think the guy who got sucked into the jet engine in episode 1 proved that resoundingly).The plot is dead simple — 48 plane-crash survivors stranded on a tropical island — but the production values are grade-A and the characters are involving. Lost projects a sense of genuine awe and mystery, making it most unusual in a medium more known for boredom and predictability.There's a lot riding on the second season, and I'm not talking about whether the folks who left on the raft will return (they will), whether Kate will sleep with Jack (she won't), or if Charlie will sample the heroin Locke and Boone found (of course he will). What's really on the table here is no less than the soul of what I think of as ''the new TV.''The perfect critique of the old TV is offered in Rob Reiner's Stand By Me. Gordie Lachance asks his buds if they've ever noticed that the people on Wagon Train (an old '50s show) never seem to get anywhere. ''They just keep wagon-training,'' he says, clearly mystified. Of course he is. Gordie's going to grow up to be a writer, and even at age 12 he knows that stories should resemble life, and life has a beginning, a middle, and an end. We grow, change, succeed, and fail; eventually we keel over dead, but we do not just keep on wagon-training.All of the shows I've mentioned above acknowledge this fact. But they all also face a huge problem, a.k.a. the Prime Network Directive: Thou Shalt Not Kill the Cash Cow.That directive is what made the final seasons of The X-Files so ignominious. There was no real closure (as opposed to The Fugitive, for example, when Dr. Richard Kimble finally caught up with the one-armed man in the show's superb two-part conclusion); minus the continuing presence of David Duchovny, X-Files blundered off into a swamp of black oil, and in that swamp it died. I could have throttled the executives at Fox for doing that, and Chris Carter for letting it happen. If J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, and their band of co-conspirators allow something similar to happen with Lost, I'm going to be even more pissed, because this show is better. Memo to Abrams and staff writers: Your responsibilities include knowing when to write The End.The setting of Lost is exotic; I'm sure almost every viewer has harbored the thought that he or she would like to be one of these castaways (especially since the supply of totally dope resort clothes seems endless). The character pool is plentiful; we had 13 major characters at the end of last season, and there are over 30 more survivors to draw from. And there are fascinating questions. What's the beast? What's up with that polar bear? What's that ship doing on the island? Who are ''The Others'' and where are they hiding? Where does the shaft below the hatch go? These coincidences, which are more like convergences, have led me to agree with the popular Internet chat-room solution, i.e., that the survivors are actually dead, and that the island is their purgatory, a place where they can put paid to sins of omission and commission before going on.The creators themselves may not know why the numbers on Hurley's winning lottery ticket are replicated on the side of the hatch, or the significance of the polar bear in the comic book 9-year-old Walt was reading shortly before Sawyer shot a real one on the llano, but who cares? The chief attributes of creators are faith and arrogance: faith that there is a solution, and the arrogance to believe they are exactly the right people to find it. The hard part will be telling ABC that Lost is going to conclude with season 3 or season 4, while the audience is still crazy about the show.ABC parent Disney, of course, will scream bloody murder. To call Lost (like Desperate Housewives) a cash cow is an understatement. We're talking about millions here, and if the show runs long enough, potentially hundreds of millions in DVDs and more.None of that changes the basic facts: When a meal is perfectly cooked, it's time to take it out of the oven. And when a story is perfectly told, it's time to fade to black. It doesn't matter to me if Jack, Kate, and the others realize they're all dead and descend that shaft into a bright white Kübler-Ross beam of light or if they go to war with each other in a final burst of Lord of the Flies savagery. They can discover they're part of an experiment (human or alien). Jack can even — groan! —wake up and discover the whole thing's a dream (actually, I'd hate that).But please, guys — don't beat this sweet cow to death with years of ponderous flashback padding. End it any way you want, but when it's time for closure, provide it. Don't just keep on wagon-training.

Great editorial from Stephen King to LOST execs.

Maybe one reason this summer's movie offerings looked so cheesy was that they came after a particularly brilliant TV season, starring (but certainly not limited to) Desperate Housewives, 24, The Wire, The Shield, and Lost.

Ah, Lost. There's never been anything like it on TV for capturing the imagination, except The Twilight Zone and The X-Files. The series may have at first seemed a rough fictional equivalent of Survivor, but Lost parted company from such wheezy rituals as Tribal Councils almost immediately, and there are no immunity challenges (I think the guy who got sucked into the jet engine in episode 1 proved that resoundingly).

The plot is dead simple — 48 plane-crash survivors stranded on a tropical island — but the production values are grade-A and the characters are involving. Lost projects a sense of genuine awe and mystery, making it most unusual in a medium more known for boredom and predictability.

There's a lot riding on the second season, and I'm not talking about whether the folks who left on the raft will return (they will), whether Kate will sleep with Jack (she won't), or if Charlie will sample the heroin Locke and Boone found (of course he will). What's really on the table here is no less than the soul of what I think of as ''the new TV.''

The perfect critique of the old TV is offered in Rob Reiner's Stand By Me. Gordie Lachance asks his buds if they've ever noticed that the people on Wagon Train (an old '50s show) never seem to get anywhere. ''They just keep wagon-training,'' he says, clearly mystified. Of course he is. Gordie's going to grow up to be a writer, and even at age 12 he knows that stories should resemble life, and life has a beginning, a middle, and an end. We grow, change, succeed, and fail; eventually we keel over dead, but we do not just keep on wagon-training.

All of the shows I've mentioned above acknowledge this fact. But they all also face a huge problem, a.k.a. the Prime Network Directive: Thou Shalt Not Kill the Cash Cow.

That directive is what made the final seasons of The X-Files so ignominious. There was no real closure (as opposed to The Fugitive, for example, when Dr. Richard Kimble finally caught up with the one-armed man in the show's superb two-part conclusion); minus the continuing presence of David Duchovny, X-Files blundered off into a swamp of black oil, and in that swamp it died. I could have throttled the executives at Fox for doing that, and Chris Carter for letting it happen. If J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, and their band of co-conspirators allow something similar to happen with Lost, I'm going to be even more pissed, because this show is better. Memo to Abrams and staff writers: Your responsibilities include knowing when to write The End.

The setting of Lost is exotic; I'm sure almost every viewer has harbored the thought that he or she would like to be one of these castaways (especially since the supply of totally dope resort clothes seems endless). The character pool is plentiful; we had 13 major characters at the end of last season, and there are over 30 more survivors to draw from. And there are fascinating questions. What's the beast? What's up with that polar bear? What's that ship doing on the island? Who are ''The Others'' and where are they hiding? Where does the shaft below the hatch go? These coincidences, which are more like convergences, have led me to agree with the popular Internet chat-room solution, i.e., that the survivors are actually dead, and that the island is their purgatory, a place where they can put paid to sins of omission and commission before going on.

The creators themselves may not know why the numbers on Hurley's winning lottery ticket are replicated on the side of the hatch, or the significance of the polar bear in the comic book 9-year-old Walt was reading shortly before Sawyer shot a real one on the llano, but who cares? The chief attributes of creators are faith and arrogance: faith that there is a solution, and the arrogance to believe they are exactly the right people to find it. The hard part will be telling ABC that Lost is going to conclude with season 3 or season 4, while the audience is still crazy about the show.

ABC parent Disney, of course, will scream bloody murder. To call Lost (like Desperate Housewives) a cash cow is an understatement. We're talking about millions here, and if the show runs long enough, potentially hundreds of millions in DVDs and more.

None of that changes the basic facts: When a meal is perfectly cooked, it's time to take it out of the oven. And when a story is perfectly told, it's time to fade to black. It doesn't matter to me if Jack, Kate, and the others realize they're all dead and descend that shaft into a bright white Kübler-Ross beam of light or if they go to war with each other in a final burst of Lord of the Flies savagery. They can discover they're part of an experiment (human or alien). Jack can even — groan! —wake up and discover the whole thing's a dream (actually, I'd hate that).

But please, guys — don't beat this sweet cow to death with years of ponderous flashback padding. End it any way you want, but when it's time for closure, provide it. Don't just keep on wagon-training.
Good read. A nice little appetizer for Wednesday!

Coolest part of season 1 was the season finale when the 4 on the raft were spotted by the boat and they demanded Walt. I got chills that scene was so cool and I did not see it coming. :thumbup:

Coolest part of season 1 was the season finale when the 4 on the raft were spotted by the boat and they demanded Walt. I got chills that scene was so cool and I did not see it coming. :thumbup:
I watched that again in the rerun last week. They really suck you in with the triumphant music swelling in the background as they see the ship. Then the guy asks for the boy, and they hit that one menacing chord: DONG......DONG.....etc.As much as I had qualms with that first episode, that was pretty well done.

:goodposting: I just got a chill reading your post.

:blackdot: My wife bought me the DVDs, but they are still wrapped...just haven't had time.They say there's secrets to Season 2 in there...what are those?

I am looking forward to this as well. Does anyone know if that 8pm episode is of any value? I watched every episode last season (in 65" HDTV/5.1 DD no less - man that Pilot episode right at the start with the engine going was awesome) so I don't really want to watch a refresher for folks that didn't see everything. It reminds me of that one-hour catch up special in the middle of the season that was supposed to discuss things from the "island's" perspective and it didn't seem like the had anything new or informative.

:blackdot:

My wife bought me the DVDs, but they are still wrapped...just haven't had time.

They say there's secrets to Season 2 in there...what are those?
Beats the hell out of me. I watched the entire bonus disc and don't remember anything along those lines. Other than having Season 1 at my disposal anytime I want to watch, buying the box set was a waste IMO.

I am looking forward to this as well. Does anyone know if that 8pm episode is of any value? I watched every episode last season (in 65" HDTV/5.1 DD no less - man that Pilot episode right at the start with the engine going was awesome) so I don't really want to watch a refresher for folks that didn't see everything. It reminds me of that one-hour catch up special in the middle of the season that was supposed to discuss things from the "island's" perspective and it didn't seem like the had anything new or informative.
Wondering the same thing about the 8pm episode.

Never watched any of Season 1. Went out and bought the box set on Monday after the Emmys (the Emmys have been a great barometer for me). Just finished watching the finale half an hour ago.This show is BLOWING MY MIND!Can't wait for tonight.

Never watched any of Season 1. Went out and bought the box set on Monday after the Emmys (the Emmys have been a great barometer for me). Just finished watching the finale half an hour ago.

This show is BLOWING MY MIND!

Can't wait for tonight.
Welcome.

Never watched any of Season 1. Went out and bought the box set on Monday after the Emmys (the Emmys have been a great barometer for me). Just finished watching the finale half an hour ago.

This show is BLOWING MY MIND!

Can't wait for tonight.
:hifive:

I got a timeout last year for cursing this show in frustration because nothing ever *bleeping* happened.Needless to say, I'm sucked in to see what's in the hatch. Argh.At worst, there's always Kate. :pics:

I flipped out watching Episode 23 or something when Michael was putting the finishing touches on the raft and he gave Jin the "No, this one goes there, that one goes there!" line from Empire. I think Jin even made a Chewbacca growl in response. And I noticed they always were making pop culture references and homages throughout the series. I hope that continues. Fun writing.

What the hell happened to thefuselage.com? It looks like a message board now. Didn't they have a million screen shots in their archives before? Anyone got an old link?

I just clicked on the DirectTV info for the 9pm episode. It says Shannon runs into a familiar face in the jungle. Could it be Boon? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread