Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series

So, couldn't the 3rd panel be two symbols (letters), read top to bottom?

Also, if you tivo'd it, go frame by frame on the preview. Very interesting views of the medical hatch.

Correct me if I am wrong (don't have a DVR/Tivo)... on the timer, the second number/picture never showed, right? Locke pressed enter before it had time to stop on a picture. Is this correct?

I'm speculating here, as many others have done, but I'm guessing that a reason that Locke is so dead set against letting that timer complete it finishing sequence is a fear that he will, again, lose the use of his legs. Could it be that whatever the timer is doing, has a connection to the fact that Locke and the use of his legs. I'm thinking that if the final picture would have stopped, Locke would have dropped like a lead balloon and would not have been able to use his legs. I think, in the back of his mind, he's thinking that the magnetic forces at work on the island is allowing him the to walk again.

eta: And I agree, the look the captive "other" had, after Jack pulled Sayid off him, was one of "na na nana na... you didn't get me." I also think that the fact that Sayid spoke to Charlie about the captive, and reminding Charlie about the hanging, will bring Charlie closer than he currently is, to the dark side. The drugs in the Mary statues may also be used on the captive to possibly get some information out of him (again, speculation on my part.)

Edited by Sclaffer

Just found the fifth character: Gardiner Z6. A determinative character--something typically used to clarify the meaning of what appears before it.

The meaning of this one is "death."

This is, um, one ominous message.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/Aly...hieroglyphs.jpg

Where did you manage to dig that up?!? So the "letters" don't really spell anything, but the whole "word" means DIE?

Just found the fifth character: Gardiner Z6. A determinative character--something typically used to clarify the meaning of what appears before it.

Where did you manage to dig that up?!? So the "letters" don't really spell anything, but the whole "word" means DIE?

It's from the ABC LOST forum. Someone over there did their homework. I first came across it at Begging to Differ. I think it backs up bobspruill's statement of the meaning "death."

Learning way more about hieroglyphics than I ever thought I would.

Okay, so there are several basic ways to read any hieroglyphic symbol (some are combinations). Here's the best site I've been able to (re)find after flailing around last night:

Gardiner symbols

As it says here, a symbol can be read phonetically (i.e. the symbol represents a set of up to three consonants), as an abbreviation, as a logogram (representative of an entire word--the same role characters play in written Chinese or Japanese kanji), OR as a determinative. Determinatives are basically nonphonetic symbols that tell you what the meaning of a word is. They're necessary because hieroglyphics is such a ####### baffling way of writing a language that periodically they need to insert these things so you have some idea what they're talking about.

The last character of the five is Gardiner Z6, which as it says at this site is a synonym for Gardiner A13 or A14.

Gardiner A13 (a bound man) has the determinative meaning "rebel" or "enemy."

Gardiner A14 (a man with a head wound) has the determinative meaning "to die" or "dead enemy."

Continuing to riff here, I presume it's been noticed that the sum of the five mystery numbers...

4 8 15 16 23 42

...is 108. Isn't that the number of minutes between button presses?

You really need to go back and start at page 1.

Jeez. I beat the official "Lost" discussion group to a partial interpretation of the hieroglyphics, and this is the thanks I get?

We're goning to need some screen caps of those images. I saw a bird.

I am working on it.

Don't go anywhere. :)

I was going to guess it spelled Dharma (sp), but it isn't enough letters.

...Be sure to drink your ...Oval-tine?!?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Literally lol'd at that.

So who was the guy that played the US intelligence officer? He looked ridiculously familiar, but the beard threw me off. I'm picturing a very unpleasant character in something...

I remember him from Pet Semetary

Thats right as the dead sheriff who had his nexk torn off by a dog.

I remember him from the movie Bad Boys (the one with Sean Penn and Elmo Morales, not the one with Wil Smith and Martin Lawrence). He played the character of "Viking".

Wasn't he also in the TV series V...?

He's been around a long time. Great character actor, IMO.

Continuing to riff here, I presume it's been noticed that the sum of the five mystery numbers...

4 8 15 16 23 42

...is 108. Isn't that the number of minutes between button presses?

You really need to go back and start at page 1.

Jeez. I beat the official "Lost" discussion group to a partial interpretation of the hieroglyphics, and this is the thanks I get?

No, your hieroglyphics posting are intriguing and helpful. But the fact that the numbers add up to 108 and are the same as the number of minutes between button presses has been know for a LONG time now.

So here's what I can find about the four revealed symbols:

#1--Gardiner S29

Phonetically: "s"

As an abbreviation: "health"

#2--?

The blank here doesn't appear to have any significance I can find.

#3--Gardiner T34

Phonetically: "anh" or "nm"

As an abbreviation or a determinative: "knife"

break between two "words":

Could be read as Gardiner Z1

Logogram: "one, unit," or an indication that the previous word is singular

Determinative: The previous character should be read as a logogram (i.e., in this case, "knife")

#4---Gardiner G1

Phonetically: "A"--a glottal stop, not pronounced

As a logogram: "vulture"

#5--Gardiner Z6, as discussed above

Determinative: "rebel," "enemy", "to die," or "dead enemy"

Edited by bobspruill

Since no one has touched on this, did everyone see the look on the guy's (Henry?)face when Jack took Sayid away from beating him.  Almost a look of triumph IMO.

I thought the same exact thing.

Me too. It was obvious that he felt like he would be a little more protected because of the riff he saw between Sayid and Jack.

How about his non-Minnesotan accent? Ever watch Fargo or visit that state? I have worked with a couple big companies from there and it is extremely easy to hear the accent even on a conference call.

Also, the fact that he never disclosed information freely, i.e. always had to be prodded and answer a question, leads me to believe that he is an other. Heck if I am on that island for 4 months alone after my wife dies I would be thrilled to meet people that look to be normal and have real conversations.

Also, could his story be more Richard Bransonish with the hot air balloon going around the world. He was far too meek and timid for me to believe that was so wealthy to be able to afford to do all that.

Someone please explain Sawyer murdering the frog and what the heck it has to do with anything.  We already knew he was a heartless dick.  They wasted half a show on that crap.

:whistle:

I think it was an excuse for someone to find out why Hurley hadn't gained any wieght. In this case because it was Sawyer, a person everyone dislikes now, the secret is out and no one else will find out.

I think the writers put it in because of all the speculation about Hurley not looking like someone from Survivor after 50+ days, but I think they wrote it so late that no one really cared and it made for a not so interesting story line.

Good enough?

Someone please explain Sawyer murdering the frog and what the heck it has to do with anything.  We already knew he was a heartless dick.  They wasted half a show on that crap.

I think it was an excuse for someone to find out why Hurley hadn't gained any wieght. In this case because it was Sawyer, a person everyone dislikes now, the secret is out and no one else will find out.

I think the writers put it in because of all the speculation about Hurley not looking like someone from Survivor after 50+ days, but I think they wrote it so late that no one really cared and it made for a not so interesting story line.

Good enough?

Guess it'll do.

Since no one has touched on this, did everyone see the look on the guy's (Henry?)face when Jack took Sayid away from beating him.  Almost a look of triumph IMO.

Me too. It was obvious that he felt like he would be a little more protected because of the riff he saw between Sayid and Jack.

How about his non-Minnesotan accent? Ever watch Fargo or visit that state? I have worked with a couple big companies from there and it is extremely easy to hear the accent even on a conference call.

Also, the fact that he never disclosed information freely, i.e. always had to be prodded and answer a question, leads me to believe that he is an other. Heck if I am on that island for 4 months alone after my wife dies I would be thrilled to meet people that look to be normal and have real conversations.

Also, could his story be more Richard Bransonish with the hot air balloon going around the world. He was far too meek and timid for me to believe that was so wealthy to be able to afford to do all that.

As an aside, isn't this guy the guy from Saw?

Good enough?

Guess it'll do.

Nah, they devoted too much time to it. That frog will tie back in somehow. Maybe it carries the "sickness" or whatever.

I thought he looked familiar.

:thumbup:

I thought he looked familiar.

:thumbup:

He was also in my favorite 2 part episode of The Practice years back. :bag:

No. He was in the film "The Saw". ;)

Two quick points.

If that guy was in the jungle for 4 months, why was he near clean shaven?

I'm a little :tinfoilhat: about the hieroglyphic "found" on the LOST board. Are there multiple links to support that the clock symbols = die or did that one conveniently pop up on it's own. :shrug:

Edited by PC Load Letter

Henry Gale = Wizard of Oz

No?

The uncle or whatever with the hot air balloon.

Dorothy did have an uncle Henry. I guess his name would have been "Henry Gale," although from what I've found Auntie Em was Dorothy's mother's sister. I guess Dorothy must have taken her guardian's surname.

The guy with the balloon (the wizard) was a different guy--the sideshowman. His name is never given in the film, although in the books at one point he reveals that his real name is:

Oscar Zoraster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

Edited by bobspruill

No?

Dorothy did have an uncle Henry. I guess his name would have been "Henry Gale," although from what I've found Auntie Em was Dorothy's mother's sister. I guess Dorothy must have taken her guardian's surname.

The guy with the balloon (the wizard) was a different guy--the sideshowman. His name is never given in the film, although in the books at one point he reveals that his real name is:

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

What do you mean "sideshowman"?

I thought the wizard in the dream was her Uncle Henry? This is incorrect?

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

So then basically the dude lied hoping that Sayid would never put all that information together....

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

Near the beginning of the movie she runs away to save Toto and meets a guy who has a traveling carnival...something like that. He's the wizard, not Uncle Henry.

BTW, "Henry Gale" in the show said he made his money mining--what was it?--something like "precious nonmetallic minerals."

Like, maybe, emeralds?

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

Near the beginning of the movie she runs away to save Toto and meets a guy who has a traveling carnival...something like that. He's the wizard, not Uncle Henry.

BTW, "Henry Gale" in the show said he made his money mining--what was it?--something like "precious nonmetallic minerals."

Like, maybe, emeralds?

Very good, you're probably right.

Anyways, it's obvious from this the guy is lying. The Others are smart people, no matter how they may look. Whether Henry is an Other is yet to be determined, but he is not a ballooner.

Interesting about the emeralds. Is it considered a gem?

So, we have a name, some props, and a possible mineral/metal...all pointing to the WOZ. Anything else?

Edited by Bobcat10

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

Like, maybe, emeralds?

Anyways, it's obvious from this the guy is lying. The Others are smart people, no matter how they may look. Whether Henry is an Other is yet to be determined, but he is not a ballooner.

So, we have a name, some props, and a possible mineral/metal...all pointing to the WOZ. Anything else?

Anyone remember the wife's name or where he said he was from?

If her name was Emily and they were from Seattle, I'd consider the matter settled.

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

So then basically the dude lied hoping that Sayid would never put all that information together....

:lmao:

He tried to pull a Verbal Kint on Sayid and got :own3d:

No?

"O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D."?

Like, maybe, emeralds?

Anyone remember the wife's name or where he said he was from?

If her name was Emily and they were from Seattle, I'd consider the matter settled.

Jennifer.....

I swear I heard him say he mines "non-metallic metals".

Which made my face go  :loco:

That's what I thought he said too.

:unsure:

Come on. Give the guy a break. He had an arrow through his shoulder. Don't you think it tough to answer questions when you are in that much pain?

Pretty sure he said "minerals."

The site in Germany that posts transcripts has, understandably, not gotten last night's episode up yet. When it does, we can check.

I finally recognized watching Lost the first time the show aired another person (Kate's dad) connected to another passenger. They made it blantantly obvious with the soldier holding Kate's picture (I figured it out before then). This has to hold significance as they wanted everyone to pick up on that bit of info. Most people that watch don't analyze Charlie's dream or the hierogliphics. Why is that important to the story now ?

I finally recognized watching Lost the first time the show aired another person (Kate's dad) connected to another passenger. They made it blantantly obvious with the soldier holding Kate's picture (I figured it out before then). This has to hold significance as they wanted everyone to pick up on that bit of info. Most people that watch don't analyze Charlie's dream or the hierogliphics. Why is that important to the story now ?

In many of the backstories the passengers have been connected, it's nothing new.

I finally recognized watching Lost the first time the show aired another person (Kate's dad) connected to another passenger.  They made it blantantly obvious with the soldier holding Kate's picture (I figured it out before then).  This has to hold significance as they wanted everyone to pick up on that bit of info.  Most people that watch don't analyze Charlie's dream or the hierogliphics.  Why is that important to the story now ?

In many of the backstories the passengers have been connected, it's nothing new.

Before it was sneaky, not obvious. Kate's mom serving the beer was in the scene for 30 seconds. Kate's dad was there on three occasions and had Kate's picture. Nothing has been that blantant. Save for Desmond meeting Jack while running and then later on the episode in the bunker.

Before it was sneaky, not obvious. Kate's mom serving the beer was in the scene for 30 seconds. Kate's dad was there on three occasions and had Kate's picture. Nothing has been that blantant. Save for Desmond meeting Jack while running and then later on the episode in the bunker.

Jack's dad meeting Sawyer was fairly obvious, as were the two TV incidents: Sayid on the TV when Kate went to see her Dad at the recruiting office and Hurley on the TV when Jin went to the transportation ministers house. Then there was Sawyer in the cop station...

Over at lost.cubit.net there is a good list of the connections

I finally recognized watching Lost the first time the show aired another person (Kate's dad) connected to another passenger.  They made it blantantly obvious with the soldier holding Kate's picture (I figured it out before then).  This has to hold significance as they wanted everyone to pick up on that bit of info.  Most people that watch don't analyze Charlie's dream or the hierogliphics.  Why is that important to the story now ?

Sawyer sharing a drink with Jack's dad was the most obvious. Plenty of other examples that were just as obvious as this latest one.