Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

I spent a lot of time assembling projections and putting them into the VDB Excel app. After importing the projections into DD for Windows version 15.0h, I found that the calculated fantasy points in DD don't match fantasy points in VDB Excel or my hand calculated points using my league's scoring system and projections for a sample player. Here is one example

Peyton Manning

5308 passing yards at 0.05 pts/yard = 265.4 pts

45 passing TDs at 6 pts/TD = 270 pts

12 Ints at -2 pts/Int = -24 pts

-1 rushing yards at 0.1 pts/yd = -.1 pts

3 fumbles lost at -2 pts/fumble = -6 pts

Total should be 505.3 pts. VDB Excel app calculates 505. DD calculates 469.5. I have verified the settings and projections in each app. No differences were found.

The main reason I maintain my subscription to FootballGuys is to use DD during drafts. It is very disturbing that it is so inaccurate. Additionally, the ranking of players in DD don't match the ranking of players in the VDB App. I have used DD for many years but basic errors like this are not acceptable and indicates inadequate testing. Unfortunately, my first draft is tonight and I don't expect this defect to be fixed in time. I would like it fixed before my next draft on 28 Aug if possible.

FYI, tried to post this on the known issues thread. Not sure if it posted since it just kept showing this reply window.

What does your schedule setup look like in DD? If your championship is wk 16 and you do not have a game setup for week 17, it will not factor that week into total points.

Doesn't just "Get updated projections" do that anyway?

Yes.

So are there ever any updates to the core program that would warrant downloading a new version (vs. simply getting "updated projections" as time progresses)? If so, how is that communicated (e.g., is there a "version history" available somewhere)? Thanks.

I spent a lot of time assembling projections and putting them into the VDB Excel app. After importing the projections into DD for Windows version 15.0h, I found that the calculated fantasy points in DD don't match fantasy points in VDB Excel or my hand calculated points using my league's scoring system and projections for a sample player. Here is one example

Peyton Manning

5308 passing yards at 0.05 pts/yard = 265.4 pts

45 passing TDs at 6 pts/TD = 270 pts

12 Ints at -2 pts/Int = -24 pts

-1 rushing yards at 0.1 pts/yd = -.1 pts

3 fumbles lost at -2 pts/fumble = -6 pts

Total should be 505.3 pts. VDB Excel app calculates 505. DD calculates 469.5. I have verified the settings and projections in each app. No differences were found.

The main reason I maintain my subscription to FootballGuys is to use DD during drafts. It is very disturbing that it is so inaccurate. Additionally, the ranking of players in DD don't match the ranking of players in the VDB App. I have used DD for many years but basic errors like this are not acceptable and indicates inadequate testing. Unfortunately, my first draft is tonight and I don't expect this defect to be fixed in time. I would like it fixed before my next draft on 28 Aug if possible.

FYI, tried to post this on the known issues thread. Not sure if it posted since it just kept showing this reply window.

VBD calculates 17 games worth of points. Did you check to see the number of games DD is set to? Check your schedule and GamebyGame and set to 17 to confirm.

Using the Mac version but is there anyway to see the strengths of the whole league... team by team? I know there is an option in the Windows version but I cannot find it in the Mac version.

Its like a big "rate my league" thing or something and shows who has the best QB, RB, etc. Its one window from the app, if I remember correctly.

I’m using DD to help with my week 1 lineup but am having trouble reconciling Doug Martin’s projected points for this week. The cheatsheets and PPR projections for this week on the website have Martin as the #22 overall Flex RB/WR/TE, and Jordan Matthews as the #105 overall Flex. However, for week 1 in my DD based on the scoring I have set up for my league, Martin projects 10.3 points and Matthews projects 12.3 points. Doesn’t seem right. Scoring setup for both RBs and WRs in my DD file are identical, and pretty standard PPR scoring, so these should be apples to apples.

The version I’m using should be the most up to date as of today (15.0L, Projections 8/30/14, SOS 8/5/14, Depth Charts 8/30/14), although I’m not sure why the SOS is all the way back to 8/5/14.

Any ideas?

I’m using DD to help with my week 1 lineup but am having trouble reconciling Doug Martin’s projected points for this week. The cheatsheets and PPR projections for this week on the website have Martin as the #22 overall Flex RB/WR/TE, and Jordan Matthews as the #105 overall Flex. However, for week 1 in my DD based on the scoring I have set up for my league, Martin projects 10.3 points and Matthews projects 12.3 points. Doesn’t seem right. Scoring setup for both RBs and WRs in my DD file are identical, and pretty standard PPR scoring, so these should be apples to apples.

The version I’m using should be the most up to date as of today (15.0L, Projections 8/30/14, SOS 8/5/14, Depth Charts 8/30/14), although I’m not sure why the SOS is all the way back to 8/5/14.

Any ideas?

SOS doesn't change much during the preseason - and my observation is that it evolves very slowly during he season. Typically it's about 3-4 weeks before changes in performance are adequately reflected in SOS

if you go into Game-by-Game and uncheck 'Use Strength of Schedule' and 'Use Weekly Weights' you'll see the results you expect - but maybe not the most accurate for week 1.

Any ideas?

SOS doesn't change much during the preseason - and my observation is that it evolves very slowly during he season. Typically it's about 3-4 weeks before changes in performance are adequately reflected in SOS

if you go into Game-by-Game and uncheck 'Use Strength of Schedule' and 'Use Weekly Weights' you'll see the results you expect - but maybe not the most accurate for week 1.

So since my PPR scoring is pretty standard, should I be using the PPR projections on the website instead of the DD for week 1? Lineup Dominator usually comes out before week 2, correct?

Any ideas?

So since my PPR scoring is pretty standard, should I be using the PPR projections on the website instead of the DD for week 1? Lineup Dominator usually comes out before week 2, correct?

Why? DD is the most accurate and provides a clearer overview of your team potential.

Any ideas?

Why? DD is the most accurate and provides a clearer overview of your team potential.

At this point I already did my draft and have my team together. I'm just trying to figure out who to start in week 1. See back to my original question, which stemmed from the DD projected week 1 points for Doug Martin being lower than week 1 projected points for Jordan Matthews. Maybe DD is projecting it correctly that way, but I have hard time believing it when the PPR projections list for week 1 from the website, which uses nearly the same scoring system as my league, has Martin as the #22 flex play and Matthews as #105. Something doesn't pass the sniff test.

I would say use the website over DD. It's more up-to-date with things going on in the league and all of the last minute intangibles. The low score for Martin in DD W1 is due to SoS calculations assuming it affects all players equally, and in both directions. Dodds may not feel that Martin is truly so affected by SoS on the downside, despite coming up against the toughest run defense in W1, so he's projecting something closer to his average projection on the website. Meanwhile, Matthews is playing a team that suggests he's going to perform above average, but Dodds may feel that he's not a stud and isn't so affected by SoS on the upside. With that in mind, I think it passes a sniff test. That's were this game becomes a bit of an art.

DD is still a great foundation when drafting, but it's still all about averages and blanket math. The weekly projections are more individually focused.

Edited by neverfox

• 9 months later...

Wondering if anyone has done a rough conversion that relates PPR to PP First downs for WR/RB/TE.

DD doesn't even allow PPFD as an option, despite the great article from a few years ago that explained how much more balanced a scoring system like that was. (Basis being that no more 5-40 lines giving the receptions more weight than the yards; First Downs actually matter to the real NFL team, and should be rewarded as such.)

As it is, all I can do is make it a non-PPR league, and add "x" number of points based on the number of first downs I think they are likely to get to the imported settings, for every player. Which is a huge, tedious pain. Yet, I can't make it a PPR league and extrapolate, since (for example) an RB like Jeremy Hill will have way more FDs than receptions, but a back like Forte will have way more receptions than first downs. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck, right?

Bring the DD up to the 21st century already, is all I'm asking...

Is the desktop application equivalent to the ipad app?

+1.

I know last year's didn't have the advanced algorithm the mobile apps did.

What do you mean by advanced algo?

One of the Mod's said there was an updated algo in the Mobile version (especially for drafts with Flex positions)

Just downloaded DD v16.0d and downloaded the latest projections. My league's scoring devalues QB (4 pts all passing TDs, no ydg bonus). WR/RB 6 pts all TDs, no ydg bonus, PPR. Confused about the rankings in the Player Pool. It shows Forte as RB1, AP as RB8 and ABrown as the highest ranked player overall. This doesn't seem right--is there a setting I maybe haven't adjusted? Also, when doing a My Team Mock, five QBs get drafted in the first four rounds, including RWilson. I know to expect the unexpected in any draft, but I see the same run on QBs regardless of what I do in those first few rounds. Why would QBs go so high when my scoring is just 4pts for all passing TDs with no bonus pts?.

Hi bodotdot

My main league has a similar QB scoring...4 points per passing TD and some yardage points, but devalued yardage compared to other positions. I also saw 4 QBs come off the board in the first 5 rounds in my mocks in DD. But, those 4 QBs were all +30 VBD or more. In the those same five rounds, there were 27 RBs, 26 WRs and 3 TEs taken. I just think that the top 5 QBs will go high regardless of how the QB scoring system is skewed against taking QBs early. The mainstream run on QBs in my mocks comes in Rounds 6 and 7.

RR

• 1 month later...

I just tried out my first mock in draft dominator, and although Melvin Gordon shows up in the depth chart for San Diego, he's not available to draft. What's up with that? Also, Odell Beckham is ranked No. 88 WR. Is that right?

No that's not what I see in either case. Perhaps you downloaded an old version or haven't updated the projections from last year.

The projections are more up-to-date than what the spalsh screen says when DD is launched. Back around 8/5, Kevin White was around WR60. If you update proections today in DD, the screen still says current as of 8/5, but White has dropped to about WR115 in DD for my main league due to his injury.

I know there have been posts about this previously, hoping that when new projections are loaded, DD would show the updated date, but it hasn't happened. It seems that the date is only updated when a new release is published. E --> F for example. The projections are updated more frequently than that.

RR

The projections are more up-to-date than what the spalsh screen says when DD is launched. Back around 8/5, Kevin White was around WR60. If you update proections today in DD, the screen still says current as of 8/5, but White has dropped to about WR115 in DD for my main league due to his injury.

I know there have been posts about this previously, hoping that when new projections are loaded, DD would show the updated date, but it hasn't happened. It seems that the date is only updated when a new release is published. E --> F for example. The projections are updated more frequently than that.

RR

Thanks. I do see White @115 in one of my leagues. Unfortunately, I don't know where he was a week or two back as he's not someone I've been targeting, thankfully.

So I'm on the iPhone version of the Draft Dominator app, and I'm trying to input a trade made by two members of my league that involved draft picks. So I want to edit the draft order of a couple of picks in the third round. I see how to change the draft order using the Teams & Draft Order option, but the problem is that I can't switch from Round 1 to another round to make the change in the appropriate round. Is there something I'm missing, or will this be modified in the next update?

Thanks in advance!

So I'm on the iPhone version of the Draft Dominator app, and I'm trying to input a trade made by two members of my league that involved draft picks. So I want to edit the draft order of a couple of picks in the third round. I see how to change the draft order using the Teams & Draft Order option, but the problem is that I can't switch from Round 1 to another round to make the change in the appropriate round. Is there something I'm missing, or will this be modified in the next update?

Thanks in advance!

Wrong Forum. Please repost in the Mobile Apps Forum.

Hey guys, quick question. I am doing a big money Best Ball draft beginning tomorrow. How do you go about tweaking Draft Dominator to account for this type of league?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: Best Ball = 20 round draft, but no waivers or lineup setting during the season.

Hey guys, quick question. I am doing a big money Best Ball draft beginning tomorrow. How do you go about tweaking Draft Dominator to account for this type of league?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: Best Ball = 20 round draft, but no waivers or lineup setting during the season.

I wouldn't do anything differently. Best Ball is nothing but the assumption that you always do the right thing, and DD makes suggestions based on the same assumption.

Both of my leagues are just the best record after 17 weeks. However, I noticed that the initial default setting in the Draft Dominator "Game by Game Projections" tab is to set Week 17 at a value of 0. However, when I set it to 1, recalculate and save the league, each time I open it up I have to fix this again. Is there any way to fix this issue so I don't need to do this every time I open up the app? My league schedule is in there as well so it should pick up on the fact that it is a 17-game season.

Thanks

I'm just getting into Fantasy Football, and Draft Dominator came highly recommended - but I can't seem to find a way to import league's settings/scoring from Yahoo. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance.

No, but it's fairly easy to set up the scoring. It starts out with settings that are close to most leagues. I don't know what Yahoo!'s scoring system is, but it should just take a little adjustment.

Both of my leagues are just the best record after 17 weeks. However, I noticed that the initial default setting in the Draft Dominator "Game by Game Projections" tab is to set Week 17 at a value of 0. However, when I set it to 1, recalculate and save the league, each time I open it up I have to fix this again. Is there any way to fix this issue so I don't need to do this every time I open up the app? My league schedule is in there as well so it should pick up on the fact that it is a 17-game season.

Thanks

You have to click "Set Custom" to save your settings.

How do you update the ADP that shows up within DD? I used the latest VBD excel sheet (G) and adjusted Kelvin Benjamin's ADP reflected in the sheet by adjusting values in the ADP columns (AU and AV) on the WR page, but Benjamin still shows up in DD with an ADP of 3.something even when I've uploaded my updated VBD xls into DD.

When I input my league scoring system in draft dominater it shows a list of the top players ranked by vbd. However, the cursor is going to the 7th ranked player on vbd score, Luck. Is dd recommending Luck at # 1 here? I guess I assumed highest vbd would be the recommendation. Trying to clarify. Thanks!

VBD is only part of the story. DD uses DVBD which considers how much a position drops in value by the time your next pick rolls around, taking into account the starting lineup requirements. See the Best Value Pick window.

Is the app a better program than the desktop version? Does the app have better/more features? I see the app can be adjusted to look at things like upside, list tiers...can the desktop do that?

If I had both the desktop and the app, which is the better of the two to use on draft day?

When I input my league scoring system in draft dominater it shows a list of the top players ranked by vbd. However, the cursor is going to the 7th ranked player on vbd score, Luck. Is dd recommending Luck at # 1 here? I guess I assumed highest vbd would be the recommendation. Trying to clarify. Thanks!

VBD is only part of the story. DD uses DVBD which considers how much a position drops in value by the time your next pick rolls around, taking into account the starting lineup requirements. See the Best Value Pick window.

I have long been, and continue to be, disappointed by the fact that the Best Value Pick window always shows the names and numbers for the person currently "on the clock". To be of most benefit to us, as users, is should ALWAYS reflect the current data for the USER, as things change with each pick made. I'd like a constant picture of MY Best Value Pick, at any given moment. The current program doesn't give this to us. Instead, with everything else we're trying to look at when we go on the clock, we have only a few seconds to look at and analyze the BVP window. Often, we have to change screens (from the host draft screen to DD), and back again, when it's time to pick. These time constraints are why we really need BVP to STAY FOCUSED on OUR team throughout the draft.

• Like 1

I have long been, and continue to be, disappointed by the fact that the Best Value Pick window always shows the names and numbers for the person currently "on the clock". To be of most benefit to us, as users, is should ALWAYS reflect the current data for the USER, as things change with each pick made. I'd like a constant picture of MY Best Value Pick, at any given moment. The current program doesn't give this to us. Instead, with everything else we're trying to look at when we go on the clock, we have only a few seconds to look at and analyze the BVP window. Often, we have to change screens (from the host draft screen to DD), and back again, when it's time to pick. These time constraints are why we really need BVP to STAY FOCUSED on OUR team throughout the draft.

Agree 100% and have hoped for such a solution for many years.

I'm just getting into Fantasy Football, and Draft Dominator came highly recommended - but I can't seem to find a way to import league's settings/scoring from Yahoo. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance.

No, but it's fairly easy to set up the scoring. It starts out with settings that are close to most leagues. I don't know what Yahoo!'s scoring system is, but it should just take a little adjustment.

Thanks for the reply neverfox. I also see that Yahoo allows the league to set scoring based on number of points the defense allows: 0, 1-6, 7-13, 14-20, 21-27, 28-34, 35+, but DD allows for scoring to be set based on 0, 2-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46-50, 50+. I assume this difference in scoring setups is not a big deal? Like I said, I'm just getting into FF, and want to make sure I understand everything. Thanks in advance.

Under File I notice something called Initial Auction --> Note 3

I clicked it and it told me it would overwrite all my player notes. I didn't have any player notes so i thought i would see what happened. Several minutes and a few dozen warning notes later

(Error Writing Player Notes Table Path/File access error)

it finished and now note 3 of every player is set to an acution amount. However, I'm not sure what that number is based on. The first time I ran it, it changed all the Note 3 amounts to crazy large numbers and it uses the auction value from note 3 to pre populate the Auction bid in the Draft Status box which is pretty annoying since that number is always so big. Anyway, I ran it again and the next time it adjusted all the note 3 values to match the values in the Auction column. Since the numbers are now the same I'm not sure why I need the value for note3.

Why is this tool here, how do you ues it properly, and can I undo it and clear the values out of note 3 once I have it?

Edited by Mozeta