Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The past week was the 20th anniversary of the Gary Apology Tape. I can remember hearing it first on the radio which was hilarious, but then seeing it on the E! Channel took it to another level. H

Friggin Robin... They did all this preparation over the weekend, pulling of clips and dedicated a big part of the show to him this morning, and Robin didn't even know he died. Proves she does nothing

Artie was ok but the show was at it's best with Jackie Martling.

Bob Lefsetz's memorial:

He was the most famous celebrity you don't know.

Originally saddled with the sobriquet "Eric the Midget," Eric Lynch's protestations were heard and the Stern show staff agreed to refer to him as "Eric the Actor," since he considered himself to be a thespian.

Yes, the Howard Stern show. I wasn't there when Eric originally called in to give his opinion on Kelly Clarkson's attractiveness, but over the last few years, after becoming a Stern show fanatic, I became intimately involved with Eric's personality.

He was ungrateful. But at the same time he wanted the perks of celebrity. He wanted the benefit of the doubt, he wanted airtime, he wanted unknowns to fulfill his Amazon wish list.

Like a miniature replica of the Oakland Coliseum, where the A's play.

Now in reality show culture, we make stars and discard them. Snooki is already a footnote, Paris Hilton's nearly been forgotten. But first and foremost Howard Stern is loyal. Despite being badgered by the diminutive gentleman, Howard kept putting him on the air. And he bent over backward to be nice, but not fully. Usually the handicapped are wheeled out to elicit our sympathy. But it was hard to feel sorry for Eric, because he was such a huge pain in the ###.

Leaving endless phone messages.

Getting into Twitter wars.

Using profanity to express his anger towards anybody who had a contrary opinion. Yes, you'd think that Eric would wise up and learn how to take the heat, but he never did.

Like a regular person.

That's what the Stern show is all about, regular people. Sure, we're addicted to the celebrity interviews, but the reason we are is because Howard elicits the stars' foibles, their everyday lives, things the celebrity culture media machine believes are off limits.

Nothing was off limits with Eric the Actor. Including his sanitary habits.

And you may think these behaviors are trivial and to amplify them is juvenile, but the truth is we're all just animals trying to get along, and what draws us in most is the human condition. Which is why television is burgeoning and movies are dying. It's hard to relate to a comic book star. And it's why music is in a downswing. Because the goal is to be bland and sell out and revel in your elevated status.

But Howard Stern keeps telling us he's a geeky guy who believes in his talent but is lucky to have a show, and an audience.

The Stern show got Eric TV guest shots. And then the joke became that every show Eric appeared on got canceled. And, of course, Eric would argue that point.

The Stern show got Eric laid. And I know you don't want to hear that, but if you don't believe that a 3'5" man with a club foot has desires then you're not human.

And then Eric pushed it too far. He was banned. But he called back in as a Texan named Derek and Howard played along with the charade and I still chuckle when I think of their interplay, everybody but Eric not being fooled.

There was the IQ test. There were the endless demands. Being left out of the Anniversary Show because he just couldn't be reasonable and appreciative. Ain't that life, people will bend over backwards to help you, but they've got a limit, and you don't want to reach their limit.

And Eric was just on the show. His health seemed to be deteriorating, but he said he was not near death.

And now he's history.

Ain't that life. They're here today, and then they're gone. Poof! They live on in your memory, but you never hear their voice again.

So, so long Eric the Actor. You truly were a star, even though you could never kick back and own it, revel in the huge fanbase you'd accumulated.

And hello to the second decade of the twenty first century, wherein the niches trump the mainstream.

Robin Williams was everybody's, Eric the Actor was ours.

And when I saw that he'd died I felt a well of emotions that I did not know I had for the squirrely ingrate.

But that's the nature of people. They worm their way into our consciousness and we tolerate their excesses for the entertainment and humanity.

This is a big deal. It leaves a huge hole in the Stern show, which is not some sitcom which is canceled by a fat cat exec because the ratings have sunk, but an endless, breathing juggernaut that has people from Natalie Maines to Jimmy Kimmel to Michael Rapino hooked.

That's the truth. It's a cult. That's much larger than you think. You'd be stunned who's a Stern show fanatic.

And each and every one of them is sad tonight.

The guy really did have an amazing life when you think about it. Amazing energy, sadly put into doing nothing. Though it's quite an achievement to be that afflicted and still be able to inspire such hatred. He was one of a kind.

There's not much to really do when you're that limited, physically.

ETA's death shook me up more than Robin Williams, I don't know what that says about me.

• Like 1

Search for Todd Packer on YouTube

He has every Eric appearance ever in chronological order. It's hours and hours worth of tape but I listened to every minute of it a few months ago.

My favorite. Loved that guy. Stern show is gonna suck even more without him.

What a crappy day.

Gonzo and Eric was the #1 thing going on the show recently.

They are in a stagnant cycle right now. It either needs to wind down in 2015 when Howard's contract is up, or if he renews they really need to shake up the show with major changes.

Wish Howard would stop thinking Artie can't handle being on the show and he brings him back.

Edited by 17seconds

Pretty good tribute today.

Yon (sp?) really does sound like a saint. What a good dude that guy is.

Seems like it really affected Howard but Robin is so wrapped up in herself it almost feels like she couldn't care less when she was discussing it today. she is the worst.

Pretty good tribute today.

Yon (sp?) really does sound like a saint. What a good dude that guy is.

Seems like it really affected Howard but Robin is so wrapped up in herself it almost feels like she couldn't care less when she was discussing it today. she is the worst.

:goodposting:

Friggin Robin... They did all this preparation over the weekend, pulling of clips and dedicated a big part of the show to him this morning, and Robin didn't even know he died.

Proves she does nothing.

She's useless.

Friggin Robin... They did all this preparation over the weekend, pulling of clips and dedicated a big part of the show to him this morning, and Robin didn't even know he died.

Proves she does nothing.

That was a weird moment. Do they not even speak to each other before going on the air?

Proves she does nothing.

That was a weird moment. Do they not even speak to each other before going on the air?

Robin spends an hour 3 days a week browsing the internet to come up with ~10 news stories for her segment. She also has to show up (or call in) to hang out for 4 hours when the show airs. I don't think she has any other work-related contact with the show.

Her work/pay ratio is probably lower than Sam Bradford's

Edited by 17seconds

Proves she does nothing.

Robin spends an hour 3 days a week browsing the internet to come up with ~10 news stories for her segment. She also has to show up (or call in) to hang out for 4 hours when the show airs. I don't think she has any other work-related contact with the show.

Her work/pay ratio is probably lower than Sam Bradford's

She is the ####### worst.

Howard seems oblivious that eric gave a lot more to the show then he got in return. Eric arguably povided more content then fred, benji, sal or richard. Eric did it for free as well. Was no charity. The other way around.

Child, please.

Howard brought up an interesting question today when they were talking about the wack-packers who have passed on. Who had a bigger impact on the show -- Eric or Hank?

Hank was like a h-bomb...Eric was like a coal fire. Both delivered a lot of energy to the show, just in very different ways

Howard brought up an interesting question today when they were talking about the wack-packers who have passed on. Who had a bigger impact on the show -- Eric or Hank?

i was thinking about this today, i gotta go with Hank because he had so many epic in studio appearances.

Howard seems oblivious that eric gave a lot more to the show then he got in return. Eric arguably povided more content then fred, benji, sal or richard. Eric did it for free as well. Was no charity. The other way around.

I always was blown away that Howard didn't give him a large sum of money. I mean maybe he did and we don't know about it, but I would doubt it.

That's ridiculous. There is no reasonable argument that Eric gave more to the show than those others. And yes, Eric did it for free, but he got hookers and paid appearances and fame.

hmm, maybe i'm in the minority but i gotta go with Eric. Hank did his thing, but it was almost always a one and done. Eric's calls were entertaining, and would add good storylines to the show they could drag out for a month. Maybe it is just a different show then when Hank was on, but i think overall I would go with Eric.

Heck, this may be blasphemy for some, but i think i would put Hank on the same level as Kenneth Keith. That guy was solid because of the channel 9 show and stuff, but he was always nuts when he was on

Hank was great on the E! show because his rants were condensed for their full effect. On the radio, when he would be on for two or three hours, all the rants and bellowing became tiresome to hear after awhile. He would just go on and on in circles.

hank, without a doubt. his music knowledge while 0.35 BAC was incredible.

I remember Howard challenging him to name a Bachman Turner Overdrive song other than their big hits, and friggin' Hank rattled off the track list of all their albums. I don't think Randy Bachman could have done that.

i was thinking about this today, i gotta go with Hank because he had so many epic in studio appearances.

I thought that it was Hank and a slam dunk decision too. Hank would do anything that was asked of him. They stuffed him in a suitcase, had him wear a bunny suit, and do all sorts of wacky things for the show. Hank got it and knew what the show was about. Eric was just looking out for himself and it was up to Howard to do all the heavy lifting and try to make it funny.

I thought that it was Hank and a slam dunk decision too. Hank would do anything that was asked of him. They stuffed him in a suitcase, had him wear a bunny suit, and do all sorts of wacky things for the show. Hank got it and knew what the show was about. Eric was just looking out for himself and it was up to Howard to do all the heavy lifting and try to make it funny.

• Like 1

On the wrap up show the other day, gary said he lined up possibly the biggest guest in the shows history. First thing I thought of was Clinton. My wife thought obama. No way he gets obama is there.

marksfriggin says Neil Young is coming soon. Probably wouldn't qualify as the biggest, but I'm sure it would be huge for Howard.

howard confirmed that today along with a bunch of others. Said jimmy.page and plant SHOULD be on but arent booked.

Who would they consider their biggest guest ever so far? Paul McCartney I'd think. I can't see anyone else alive in music they'd think was as big. And they've had whoever they wanted in TV or movies or sports (Tiger Woods? Deniro or Nicholson?) Is there a live comedian they've never had that would be huge? Have they had Steve Martin?

Other than those entertainment choices it's got to be politics or business. Clinton? Obama? Dalai Lama? Bill Gates?