What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (5 Viewers)

First off, let me say that Howard Stern is better than 98% of the morning guys out there, but after listening to the History of Howard Stern, I've really come to appreciate his earlier work. The guy has morphed from a rebel into this sterile and grumpy old man. Nothing edgy about him anymore, I guess he leaves all of that to his cast of characters (Artie, Sal, Richard, etc).However, maybe the tank just ran dry for the guy. The guy has been working about 20 hours per week (prior to Sirius) on air to make us laugh in addition to all the hours he spends outside of the studio trying to put together a good show. As a guy who's working to get into radio myself, I can appreciate all the hard work he did prior to him making it big. You may not realize it, but there's a TON of prepwork you have to do to put on a good show.Still, I've become more of a Bubba fan than a Howard fan at this point.
I agree that Howard has lost a lot of his 'edge'. He has about 10 vacation weeks a year it seems. Plus, he sold us a bill of goods as far as the commercials. In his last few months on terrestrial radio, he talked about being virtually commercial free once he went to satellite. He started out witha short break every hour, now there's a ten minute commercial, followed by old bits replayed, followed by a song. The non-live content is basically the same as it was before.Also, when he first started, he said that he would occasionally take Fridays off, He worked a few Fridays in teh beginning and probably hasn't worked one in teh last 18 months.I'm still entertained by the show when he does decide to work, so I continue to listen. Plus, I can't say I blame the guy for being powerful enough to make a deal like he did with Sirius, but that doesn't keep me from being annoyed when he's airing repeats all the time.One thing that drives me absolutely nuts is teh way he rushes through the news because he wants to get off the air. Many times, Artie, Fred, and Robin are making great and funny comments on a news story, and Howard comes in with his "Ok, what else Robin?". It's hard enjoying lisening to something when the host is giving a clear impression that he's done trying to be entertaining and wants to get out of there. Next time you listen to the news (which is at teh end of his broadcast) pay attention to how many times he says, "Ok, what else Robin".
:unsure: (Except for the previous poster's Bubba comment).Listening to some of the Master Tape Theaters reminds me why the news was always my favorite part of the show. Howard was almost always into it, not trying to rush out the door. He still has his moments, but you are right, the "What else Robin?" drives me nuts too. And even though it has been about 7 or 8 years now, I still miss Jackie quite a bit.
Like when a caller today wanted to tell a story and Howard was like "Ok, I got a life too, get out of here" or something like that. Howard might have done that at terrestrial because he was under time constraints, but it's something I've really started to notice. I'm with eddie in that it drives me nuts (we disagree on Bubba, though. He rules).

Great week.

:shrug:

Pinworms, Goodstein's chair fiasco, Dayner, Sal crying, Bigfoot, Eric's Idol Show, and some other things that don't spring to mind.

They should rename the program: "The Eric the Midget Show, featuring Howard Stern"

I could listen to that little doosh and his echo all day. :lmao:

First off, let me say that Howard Stern is better than 98% of the morning guys out there, but after listening to the History of Howard Stern, I've really come to appreciate his earlier work. The guy has morphed from a rebel into this sterile and grumpy old man. Nothing edgy about him anymore, I guess he leaves all of that to his cast of characters (Artie, Sal, Richard, etc).

However, maybe the tank just ran dry for the guy. The guy has been working about 20 hours per week (prior to Sirius) on air to make us laugh in addition to all the hours he spends outside of the studio trying to put together a good show. As a guy who's working to get into radio myself, I can appreciate all the hard work he did prior to him making it big. You may not realize it, but there's a TON of prepwork you have to do to put on a good show.

Still, I've become more of a Bubba fan than a Howard fan at this point.
I agree that Howard has lost a lot of his 'edge'. He has about 10 vacation weeks a year it seems. Plus, he sold us a bill of goods as far as the commercials. In his last few months on terrestrial radio, he talked about being virtually commercial free once he went to satellite. He started out witha short break every hour, now there's a ten minute commercial, followed by old bits replayed, followed by a song. The non-live content is basically the same as it was before.Also, when he first started, he said that he would occasionally take Fridays off, He worked a few Fridays in teh beginning and probably hasn't worked one in teh last 18 months.

I'm still entertained by the show when he does decide to work, so I continue to listen. Plus, I can't say I blame the guy for being powerful enough to make a deal like he did with Sirius, but that doesn't keep me from being annoyed when he's airing repeats all the time.

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts is teh way he rushes through the news because he wants to get off the air. Many times, Artie, Fred, and Robin are making great and funny comments on a news story, and Howard comes in with his "Ok, what else Robin?". It's hard enjoying lisening to something when the host is giving a clear impression that he's done trying to be entertaining and wants to get out of there. Next time you listen to the news (which is at teh end of his broadcast) pay attention to how many times he says, "Ok, what else Robin".
:popcorn: (Except for the previous poster's Bubba comment).Listening to some of the Master Tape Theaters reminds me why the news was always my favorite part of the show. Howard was almost always into it, not trying to rush out the door. He still has his moments, but you are right, the "What else Robin?" drives me nuts too. And even though it has been about 7 or 8 years now, I still miss Jackie quite a bit.
It's possible to acquire the show sans commercials. Just saying. :shrug:

First off, let me say that Howard Stern is better than 98% of the morning guys out there, but after listening to the History of Howard Stern, I've really come to appreciate his earlier work. The guy has morphed from a rebel into this sterile and grumpy old man. Nothing edgy about him anymore, I guess he leaves all of that to his cast of characters (Artie, Sal, Richard, etc).

However, maybe the tank just ran dry for the guy. The guy has been working about 20 hours per week (prior to Sirius) on air to make us laugh in addition to all the hours he spends outside of the studio trying to put together a good show. As a guy who's working to get into radio myself, I can appreciate all the hard work he did prior to him making it big. You may not realize it, but there's a TON of prepwork you have to do to put on a good show.

I agree that Howard has lost a lot of his 'edge'. He has about 10 vacation weeks a year it seems. Plus, he sold us a bill of goods as far as the commercials. In his last few months on terrestrial radio, he talked about being virtually commercial free once he went to satellite. He started out witha short break every hour, now there's a ten minute commercial, followed by old bits replayed, followed by a song. The non-live content is basically the same as it was before.Also, when he first started, he said that he would occasionally take Fridays off, He worked a few Fridays in teh beginning and probably hasn't worked one in teh last 18 months.

I'm still entertained by the show when he does decide to work, so I continue to listen. Plus, I can't say I blame the guy for being powerful enough to make a deal like he did with Sirius, but that doesn't keep me from being annoyed when he's airing repeats all the time.

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts is teh way he rushes through the news because he wants to get off the air. Many times, Artie, Fred, and Robin are making great and funny comments on a news story, and Howard comes in with his "Ok, what else Robin?". It's hard enjoying lisening to something when the host is giving a clear impression that he's done trying to be entertaining and wants to get out of there. Next time you listen to the news (which is at teh end of his broadcast) pay attention to how many times he says, "Ok, what else Robin".
:popcorn: (Except for the previous poster's Bubba comment).Listening to some of the Master Tape Theaters reminds me why the news was always my favorite part of the show. Howard was almost always into it, not trying to rush out the door. He still has his moments, but you are right, the "What else Robin?" drives me nuts too. And even though it has been about 7 or 8 years now, I still miss Jackie quite a bit.
It's possible to acquire the show sans commercials. Just saying. :shrug:
Does it rhyme with "SchmitAbhorrent?"

:confused: (Except for the previous poster's Bubba comment).Listening to some of the Master Tape Theaters reminds me why the news was always my favorite part of the show. Howard was almost always into it, not trying to rush out the door. He still has his moments, but you are right, the "What else Robin?" drives me nuts too. And even though it has been about 7 or 8 years now, I still miss Jackie quite a bit.
It's possible to acquire the show sans commercials. Just saying. :confused:
Does it rhyme with "SchmitAbhorrent?"
Yessir.

Raider Nation said:
They should rename the program: "The Eric the Midget Show, featuring Howard Stern"I could listen to that little doosh and his echo all day. :unsure:
Judging by her laugh yesterday, Robin agrees. Not sure if anyone has seen that webcam but ETM is one ugly SOB.

Loved Howard's radio DJ bit riffing on Artie and Dana.

"This is going out to Dana, from Artie in Jersey........I'm sorry about the 3 strippers"

I've seen fire and I've seen rain...

:blackdot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my favorite moments from the old days was during the news, Robin would do a story about some nutjob and Howard would tell Gary to get the person on the phone. A lot of times it happened and made for some really great spontaneous radio. Like when Stuttering John went down to the house where a woman said she saw Jesus in a stain on her kitchen window. Bits used to evolve from the news.

It's obvious Howard doesn't care about the news anymore. He plays about 2 seconds of a clip. I don't think it's so much about him wanting to finish the show, I think he just doesn't like that part of the show anymore and just wants to get it over with. The show has always evolved and Howard has killed many parts of the show that just have played it's course (please no more Sibian). I just don't think he could kill this part of the show since it's Robin's thing.

In the current form, there's no need for the news segment anymore IMO. It never goes anywhere now.

Some of my favorite moments from the old days was during the news, Robin would do a story about some nutjob and Howard would tell Gary to get the person on the phone. A lot of times it happened and made for some really great spontaneous radio. Like when Stuttering John went down to the house where a woman said she saw Jesus in a stain on her kitchen window. Bits used to evolve from the news. It's obvious Howard doesn't care about the news anymore. He plays about 2 seconds of a clip. I don't think it's so much about him wanting to finish the show, I think he just doesn't like that part of the show anymore and just wants to get it over with. The show has always evolved and Howard has killed many parts of the show that just have played it's course (please no more Sibian). I just don't think he could kill this part of the show since it's Robin's thing. In the current form, there's no need for the news segment anymore IMO. It never goes anywhere now.
That's the biggest thing that irritates me about Howard nowadays.BTW, I really wish they would give Heidi Cortez another show, perhaps late at night. Reason it bombed was because it was during rush hour.

Raider Nation said:
They should rename the program: "The Eric the Midget Show, featuring Howard Stern"I could listen to that little doosh and his echo all day. :thumbup:
Not sure if anyone has seen that webcam but ETM is one ugly SOB.
I haven't seen Eric but that surprises me. He sounds like he'd be a real good-looking guy.

Little-known fact:

In 1969, a 16 year-old New Yorker named Howard Stern gave Lamar Hunt the idea to call this game the "Super Bowl"...

nice show today but had to :goodposting: when howard said basically the lie detector show ripped his idea
He also said that "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" was his idea too. :thumbup: Retire already.
Howard was the first to do EVERYTHING! Once y'all accept that, it's easier to enjoy his show.
Maybe he should have gotten some patents. :lmao:
Well I am a big Howard fan, have been for years and I will admit that he tried to grab credit for a lot of things, but you have to admit that strapping someone to a lie detector and asking them tough (goofy and sexy) questions has been something he has been doing for many years now. Did they take his move and make it into a watchable game show? Sure. Does that make it any less a thing he has been doing for years? No.

It's worth the price of admission listening to Howard and big-mouth Robin expound on the finer points of football.

Kinda like me teaching a ballroom dancing class. :D

Beth seems like a real tool. Very immature. In the Howard Stern world everyone gets railed on. The things Howard says about Sal's wife are a million times worse then the joke Sale made about Beth at the roast. For a model to be insecure about her looks is so immature. I know you are going to say all models are this way but that doesn't mean she still not an insecure child. She really is Howard's lap dog. Sal tears out his guts sometimes for the show and for Howard and the gang not to treat him with any respect is pretty small.

Another thing can Fred please stop playing that "emotional" piano music when a guest starts to get personal. The guest is about to open up and give us something good then Fred pipes in with that music and the guess clams up or becomes distracted. Why would you interrupt the flow right when it's getting good? Amazes me that Howard hasn't picked up on this. It's a tired gag too.

Another thing can Fred please stop playing that "emotional" piano music when a guest starts to get personal. The guest is about to open up and give us something good then Fred pipes in with that music and the guess clams up or becomes distracted. Why would you interrupt the flow right when it's getting good? Amazes me that Howard hasn't picked up on this. It's a tired gag too.
Good chance he's an axe murderer. His quick, creepy "heh heh" laugh freaks me out.

Robin, speaking on Jeremy Shockey this morning:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :goodposting:
:goodposting: I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.

I don't know any of the songs, but I love when Artie raps. :goodposting:

What's that duck sound they play for Eric now? Kills me every time.

So I guess Benji is actually ret@rded?

jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :lmao:
:lmao: I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.

I don't know any of the songs, but I love when Artie raps. :thumbup:
Shockey is on IR and he doesn't necessarily get a ring. The team will have to vote on IR and practice squad players.

jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :goodposting:
:goodposting: I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.
Shockey is on IR and he doesn't necessarily get a ring. The team will have to vote on IR and practice squad players.
I'll bet you 500 bajillion dollars he gets a ring.

Raider Nation said:
Tarkin said:
jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> ;)
:rolleyes: I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.
I agree with you. And even though I can't stand Robin, she was not completely out of touch when she asked the question.

Raider Nation said:
Tarkin said:
jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :X
:X I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.
I agree with you. And even though I can't stand Robin, she was not completely out of touch when she asked the question.
So in your opinion, was she asking the question because she was privy to the fact that players on IR may or may not get a ring?

Raider Nation said:
Tarkin said:
jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :X
:X I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.
So in your opinion, was she asking the question because she was privy to the fact that players on IR may or may not get a ring?
Sigh. Of course not. We all know Howard and Robin know jack #### about sports. The fact is, it is a valid question. I was simply pointing that out.

Raider Nation said:
Tarkin said:
jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :wall:
Sigh. Of course not. We all know Howard and Robin know jack #### about sports. The fact is, it is a valid question. I was simply pointing that out.
I'm not trying to be confrontational, really. The point is, she was asking a valid question by mistake.If she knew anything about the game, she'd know there is no way the G-Men would deny Shockey a ring after he had been such a key to their success over the years. Which brings me back to my original point that Robin should keep quiet when she doesn't know what she's talking about. It wasn't just the Shockey question, and it's not just sports in general. She stops ANY topic dead in its tracks when she constantly interjects about things she knows nothing about. I contend as good as this show is, it would be 100 times better without her.

She just asked if he gets a ring. I could see if she said confidently that he won't get one, but it was just a question.

Your hatred of her is clouding your judgement here.

Raider Nation said:
Tarkin said:
jamny said:

"Does he get a ring?"

ME -----------> :yes:
:rolleyes: I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't follow sports that think you have to play in the game to get a ring.
I'm not trying to be confrontational, really. The point is, she was asking a valid question by mistake.If she knew anything about the game, she'd know there is no way the G-Men would deny Shockey a ring after he had been such a key to their success over the years. Which brings me back to my original point that Robin should keep quiet when she doesn't know what she's talking about. It wasn't just the Shockey question, and it's not just sports in general. She stops ANY topic dead in its tracks when she constantly interjects about things she knows nothing about. I contend as good as this show is, it would be 100 times better without her.
I gotta disagree with this. Yes she's annoying, yes she interjects too much, yes she laughs too much, but Howard plays off of her. He has from the very beginning. There was a prime example just today. I don't know where Artie was but it was clear Robin wasn't in the room. Howard was talking about something and it all fell flat with no one to react. If you ever watch any live stuff he watches her all show. He speaks to the fans while looking at her. It's the classic mic technique of speaking to one person to get in touch with a group on a personal level. You might think the show would be better without her, but I don't think Howard would be better without her.

She just asked if he gets a ring. I could see if she said confidently that he won't get one, but it was just a question.Your hatred of her is clouding your judgement here.
I don't "hate" her. I just wish she'd go away. I don't think she's a bad person, but her interrupting and especially her sentence-finishing gets on my last nerve.

She just asked if he gets a ring. I could see if she said confidently that he won't get one, but it was just a question.Your hatred of her is clouding your judgement here.
I don't "hate" her. I just wish she'd go away. I don't think she's a bad person, but her interrupting and especially her sentence-finishing gets on my last nerve.
yeah, ok, hate's a strong word. I do agree she has ramped up the annoyance factor the past year or so.Must be a newfound confidence.

yeah, ok, hate's a strong word. I do agree she has ramped up the annoyance factor the past year or so.Must be a newfound confidence.
She's also developed a "my #### don't stink" attitude since her huge bump in salary since coming to Sirius.The long-time fans know what I'm talking about. It's actually tangible.

She's also developed a "my #### don't stink" attitude since her huge bump in salary since coming to Sirius.The long-time fans know what I'm talking about. It's actually tangible.
I've been a fan since WNBC. She's had the same attitude forever IMO. One word...BlazeOr even her boat.

I've been a fan since WNBC. She's had the same attitude forever IMO. One word...BlazeOr even her boat.
When I watch older shows on HowardTV Robin is much more bearable. Howard and Robin are both basically out of touch with the masses. But Howard still comes off funny while Robin comes off as condescending and stubborn. Howard may be mean but it's more neurotic. Robin just comes off as mean. She's just not very likeable. Mean and humorless is not a good combination.Today's show was terrific. The segment on Benjy running through the hall and the NYG fans clips had me belly-laughing.Is there a bigger tool then Richard on the show? No way a 14-year-old does not know how to use deodarant.

He got crazy with Hi-Pitch Mike. Threatened to knock him out after Mike said he'd bang Artie's sister to prove he's not homo.

Wow what did he say to robin and howard? Probably won't get to hear it today.
He called Robin "a skinny F'in witch*"* not a "w"He yelled at Howard something like "Why do you tell me, because you're always right and solve everything"Artie then yelled at Howard for taking high pitch Mike's side, and then Howard just said something like "I wasn't really even listening". Howard was upset because Artie was calling Mike homo and if gay people were listening, it would turn them off. Howard got real defensive about it.

Users who are viewing this thread