What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (2 Viewers)

Thank God someone finally got through to Howard about saying "The fact of the matter is" all the time.
What did he say about it?Artie's "the man who laughs at everything" shtick is pretty funny.
They were talking about how someone mentioned that Robin says "amazing" too much and he said people have been telling him he says "the fact of the matter is" a lot. He caught himself three times in like the next half hour saying it and said now he's going to be overly conscious of it. Hopefully he breaks himself of it.

Real irony yesterday as he kept trying to explain to the camel toe chicks that it's reasonable to believe two people could come up with the same idea independently.

I had never noticed the "fact of the matter" thing until someone brought it up in this thread. Now if they can get Robin to stop beginning every sentence with "I was just going to say" which is another thing I didn't notice until this thread.

Almost a whole month without any posts in this thread, wow.

I just got my yearly renewal notice from Sirius and noticed this music royalty fee they tacked on @ $1.97/month. I called to "cancel" and they renewed me for another year at half the price.

Almost a whole month without any posts in this thread, wow. I just got my yearly renewal notice from Sirius and noticed this music royalty fee they tacked on @ $1.97/month. I called to "cancel" and they renewed me for another year at half the price.
O&A got me tuning in. maybe if howard did Fridays and did not take 4 months off I would have never checked them out, but im glad I did.

Almost a whole month without any posts in this thread, wow. I just got my yearly renewal notice from Sirius and noticed this music royalty fee they tacked on @ $1.97/month. I called to "cancel" and they renewed me for another year at half the price.
O&A got me tuning in. maybe if howard did Fridays and did not take 4 months off I would have never checked them out, but im glad I did.
For the last few years:O&A >>>>>>>>>>>>> Howard

time warp back to 1999-2000 maybe.Where can you even hear O&A anymore?

on sirius/xm same as howard.......

on sirius/xm same as howard.......
what channel on Sirius? Rawdog?I was a big fan back in their heyday. Then heard their brief stint back on regular radio. they were incredibly bad.

I'd say O&A is better than Stern right now. Almost anything is better than Stern right now, and I hold no built-in allegiances to anyone.

Last week was funny. :shrug: Roll call had me dying.

The JD stuff yesterday was interesting, but Robin, of course, talked right over it. Most of the time with her horrific JD impersination.

I love how Artie and JD(even if he isn't there to ok them talking about his problem) are opening up about the depression and anxiety they suffer from and Howard and Robin laugh at them. They think a little mind over matter will cure it in a day-"America is over medicated". And even if I would agree with that general statement there are people suffering greatly for which medicine is a life saver. They have obviously have never had a close relative or friend go through this-it can be hell. I have to change the channel during these discussions-they were belittling someone with depression a few weeks back as well.

I wonder why people don't point out to Howard how he says "In other words" so many times. He says it over and over and over and over.

Cliff notes on "roll call" please? I got a new car a couple of weeks ago and haven't put in my Sirius yet.
Lisa G mentioned a bit they used to do on the radio with her, Ed Lover and Dre' on whatever morning show she used to work on. Everyday at 7:20 they would do a rap song that included a listener saying who they are and where they're from called "Roll Call" She said it was hugely popular. The crew tried to do it with ###-napkin Ed and MaryAnn from Brooklyn. They went through it about 3 or 4 times and it was hilariously bad, off timing, non-knowing lyrics, etc. Lisa G actually kept it together a bit. They tried it on Monday again with ###-napkin and got through it and it was ok, but imo the bit was done that first day. He didn't do it yesterday, but said he'll do a celebrity version when 50 cent and Snoop come in (on different days)doh...could've just given you a link

Cliff notes on "roll call" please? I got a new car a couple of weeks ago and haven't put in my Sirius yet.
Lisa G mentioned a bit they used to do on the radio with her, Ed Lover and Dre' on whatever morning show she used to work on. Everyday at 7:20 they would do a rap song that included a listener saying who they are and where they're from called "Roll Call" She said it was hugely popular. The crew tried to do it with ###-napkin Ed and MaryAnn from Brooklyn. They went through it about 3 or 4 times and it was hilariously bad, off timing, non-knowing lyrics, etc. Lisa G actually kept it together a bit. They tried it on Monday again with ###-napkin and got through it and it was ok, but imo the bit was done that first day. He didn't do it yesterday, but said he'll do a celebrity version when 50 cent and Snoop come in (on different days)doh...could've just given you a link
Just heard them talking to 50 cent about it, he had no idea what it was and he grew up in new york. Poor Lisa

after reading this post I decided to call and cancel. Just got a year for $70. :thumbup:

How did anybody ever find Jackie funny?
Jackie was really never funny on his own (imo) but he had a lot of funny concepts that he would feed Howard that Howard would then expand on and contextualize. He would feed Howard a lot of lines live that Howard would incorporate into whatever he was talking about.He also wrote a lot of the questions that Stuttering John asked of celebrities.But on the joke hunt and in stand-up, I don't really see the appeal.

How did anybody ever find Jackie funny?
Jackie was really never funny on his own (imo) but he had a lot of funny concepts that he would feed Howard that Howard would then expand on and contextualize. He would feed Howard a lot of lines live that Howard would incorporate into whatever he was talking about.He also wrote a lot of the questions that Stuttering John asked of celebrities.But on the joke hunt and in stand-up, I don't really see the appeal.
:football: Jackie contributed way more than Artie in terms of the overall show considering all the stuff he wrote for Howard. He is an awful stand up guy but his impact on the Stern show was huge in the earlier years.

Great shows this week. Really shows how great the show was. Billy West, phony phone calls. Once he started syndicating the show was at it's best. Some of the older stuff doesn't hold up as well but the stuff they've played this week are still hilarious.

Great shows this week. Really shows how great the show was. Billy West, phony phone calls. Once he started syndicating the show was at it's best. Some of the older stuff doesn't hold up as well but the stuff they've played this week are still hilarious.
:goodposting:Pretty much the only time of the year I get excited to listen to Stern.

I thought this week was horrible, but I wasn't a fan back then.

I'm going to be hearing that ####ing Jackie laugh in my nightmares for weeks now.

Just an FYI:

I called Sirius today, because my subscription was set to automatically renew on Dec 28th and informed them that I wanted to cancel my subscription because of the price, they offered me a 1 year deal for $77 for Sirius channels only. Truth be told I had no intentions of cancelling just wanted to see if I could get a better price and I ended after taxes being charged $88 instead of $188. Im quite happy with the deal.

I hate that Sirius ad that claims he "changed" radio. Got news for you folks at Sirius, Steve Dahl was doing the same thing in Chicago well before Stern. And while I like(d) Richard Pryor, he didn't "change" comedy, either.

:thumbup:Pretty much the only time of the year I get excited to listen to Stern.
:thumbdown: It is amazing hearing the differences for my favorite part of the show - the news. Howard used to get so into a lot of the stories, Jackie and Billy would step up, etc. Now it's..."anything else Robin?" every 2 minutes, with Artie rarely chiming in or Howard going to a caller saying how great Howard TV is.I still listen because it is still better than anything else in the morning, but these specials really make me realize how much I loved the show back in the early-mid 90's and how much I only "like" the show now.And for those of you who say you had Jackie's obnoxious laugh after Howard or Billy reads one of his dumb jokes...really? I miss that so much now.

A lot of Howard bashing in here. He may not be as good as he used ot be but he is still the best thing going and his show does provide 5 hours of enetertainment everyday. I don't understand the bashing the man for his vacation time also. I don't know anyone that would turn down his vacation package. I guess once he is gone in a few years maybe then some of us will miss him and really appreciate him. Okay that's my rant for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been listening to Act III of History of Howard Stern? I listened to all 50+ hours of last December's Act I & II and it was vivaceous.

I thought this week was horrible, but I wasn't a fan back then.I'm going to be hearing that ####ing Jackie laugh in my nightmares for weeks now.
You a big fan of Phantom Menace too?
Artie is funnier than Jackie, and I prefer to hear them talking about stories in the news now, rather than Amy Fisher shooting that broad in the face.
To me, the show peaked from about 1999-2003. Howard finally calmed down a little bit and could really get his thoughts out, yet still had the complete sense of irreverence and lunacy that made the show great.At this point, I find that a lot of that character of the show is still there, but it's a little too calm and Howard clearly isn't as into it.

A lot of Howard bashing in here. He may not be as good as he used ot be but he is still the best thing going and his show does provide 5 hours of enetertainment everyday. I don't understand the bashing the man for his vacation time also. I don't know anyone that would turn down his vacation package. I guess once he is gone in a few years maybe then some of us will miss him and really appreciate him. Okay that's my rant for the day.
I'm as big a fan of Howard as anybody, ok maybe not like wackpack big, and I still love and enjoy the show every day. It's gonna be tough when he retires after 20+ years of listening. There has to be a realization though that he is winding down. Hearing the older shows makes me remember not being able to miss a minute of it. It's definately not like that anymore, but that's ok. So many things they've played remind me of exactly where I was in life at the time. Two things I'm really hoping to hear. One time when a woman psychiatrist called him and tried to convince him he was unhappy having 3 daughters and he completely turned it around on her and got her to admit she wasn't happy with 3 sons. And the time he sold a woman a share of the Brooklyn Bridge, promising her a cut of the tolls (there are no tolls on the B.B.)

I still hope he re-signs.

I'm as big a fan of Howard as anybody, ok maybe not like wackpack big, and I still love and enjoy the show every day. It's gonna be tough when he retires after 20+ years of listening. There has to be a realization though that he is winding down. Hearing the older shows makes me remember not being able to miss a minute of it. It's definately not like that anymore, but that's ok. So many things they've played remind me of exactly where I was in life at the time. Two things I'm really hoping to hear. One time when a woman psychiatrist called him and tried to convince him he was unhappy having 3 daughters and he completely turned it around on her and got her to admit she wasn't happy with 3 sons. And the time he sold a woman a share of the Brooklyn Bridge, promising her a cut of the tolls (there are no tolls on the B.B.)

I still hope he re-signs.
:banned: of course the show is different now than it was 10 years ago. Just as the '99 version was vastly different than '89. I still find the conversation between him, Robin and whoever else manages to come in that day, interesting enough to listen for 4 hours. So, he must be doing something right.

As to speculating on his retirement, i dont see how he, or Sirius, walk away from this entirely. Sirius would be in trouble, and i think Howard would just be bored and would miss his soapbox. i guess we'll all find out about a year from today

Favor: Can somebody update this thread tomorrow morning with whatever Howard has to say about Artie? I am assuming he'll do the "Artie isn't feeling well and is getting help" shtick, but if it's something interesting, please post.

tia

I thought this week was horrible, but I wasn't a fan back then.I'm going to be hearing that ####ing Jackie laugh in my nightmares for weeks now.
You a big fan of Phantom Menace too?
Artie is funnier than Jackie, and I prefer to hear them talking about stories in the news now, rather than Amy Fisher shooting that broad in the face.
We'll just have to disagree on this one. Jackie was funny on his own, made Howard funnier, and made Billy West funnier. It's like comparing Allen Iverson to Deron Williams. The bits and the gags they did back then were hilarious, now the only "prepared" (for lack of a better word) humor on that show is really Richard and Sal. And their calls and antics are good, but they're usually asides to the main show, which is much weaker.Not to mention that Stern has been mailing it in himself for several years now. I hope the rumors about Breuer taking over are true, as it'd give the show a shot in the arm.

Users who are viewing this thread