What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

9 and under at Disney is basically a waste of money. Kids of that age would have the same amount of fun at a local fair.
:confused: Most rides have 40" restrictions. My 8 yo girl is 50" and my 6yo is 45". So, they can do any of the rides and see all the shows.

What exactly would be a waste for anyone under 9?
Why..because any 9 year would have as much fun at any local carnival going on all the rides as they would at Disney. you would save about 5 grand, and your kids would not be crying about how tired they are and wanting to go back to the hotel and swim. I had a buddy that was a Disney exec, he told me that is is exactly why they have the 40"..they are not going to limit the market.Face it..going to Disney with kids under the age of 9 is really about the parents saying they went there..not the kids.

Don`t get me wrong..I love Disney. I took my 14-15 year old girls there last year and they had a great time. I took them there when they were 8-9 and all they wanted to do was swim at the pool.

It is your $$$$$ so if you enjoy it..go for it!
No way. I went three times between the ages of 10 and 13 and it was the most boring waste of time imaginable for that age. My parents should have saved their money. Under 10 is the way to go.

The kid won't appreciate Epcot.

Do yourself a favor and do not stay on the resort, it'll cost you a fortune.
A 5 year old kid won`t appreciate anything about Disney! He will be just as happy at a Holidome 1 mile from your house swiming and playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
9 and under at Disney is basically a waste of money. Kids of that age would have the same amount of fun at a local fair.
:confused: Most rides have 40" restrictions. My 8 yo girl is 50" and my 6yo is 45". So, they can do any of the rides and see all the shows.

Why..because any 9 year would have as much fun at any local carnival going on all the rides as they would at Disney. you would save about 5 grand, and your kids would not be crying about how tired they are and wanting to go back to the hotel and swim. I had a buddy that was a Disney exec, he told me that is is exactly why they have the 40"..they are not going to limit the market.Face it..going to Disney with kids under the age of 9 is really about the parents saying they went there..not the kids.

Don`t get me wrong..I love Disney. I took my 14-15 year old girls there last year and they had a great time. I took them there when they were 8-9 and all they wanted to do was swim at the pool.

It is your $$$$$ so if you enjoy it..go for it!
No way. I went three times between the ages of 10 and 13 and it was the most boring waste of time imaginable for that age. My parents should have saved their money. Under 10 is the way to go.
I went to Disneyland when I was 11 or 12.. As you can tell I can't even remember what age I was thats how :yawn: it was for me. Parents went in to watch one of those shows, I hopped a ride to Tom Sawyer land or whatever it was..

Really, I had more fun at that age at Universal Studios than I did at Disneyland.

Wife and I are also considering taking our 7 year old daughter to Disney World this December.

She will turn 8 in December so we figure that is a perfect age. :thumbup:

My wife and I brought our 7 y/o triplets to Disney during Christmas break. For anyone going at this time I would not recomend it. They had to stop letting people in at noon because they were over capacity. The fast pass, and you can only have 1 out at a time - you can get another within 30 mins of it's due time- during our visit said to come back in 3 1/2 hrs. :shock: Anyways they liked it and all but to be honest they liked the water slide at the pool better than anything else. Waiting in lines was too much for them at their age and they move the lines pretty good there. The park hopper passes are great because like others said they are good for life, meaning if you bought a 7 day park hopper and only went in to the parks 5 days you have 2 days left for whenever you get back. Mousesavers.com is listed here several times and gives you info on where the best place to buy these are.

One more thing. Shoot the breeze with the workers. They can give you tips on where to go. One older worker I struck up a converstion with saw our kids being good and decided to bring us up to the front of the line to be next on the ride---it would have been a 2 hour wait.

A 5 year old kid won`t appreciate anything about Disney! He will be just as happy at a Holidome 1 mile from your house swinng and playing.
Again, just as when this thread was started, I must ask....What age children have you taken to Disney?

You failed to answer the question last time, I can only imagine that you will do the same here.

I took my 5 YO son around Thanksgiving and he still brings it up in conversation 3 months later.

He appreciates it, and appreciates the fact that his parents took him there.

We hit Animal Kingdom and Epcot in the same day when I went last year with my son--AK first for the safari while the animals are out and about, ended at Epcot for supper and the fireworks (Morrocan was great! Going myself this Christmas again and we'll probably go with the Norwegian). Then one day each for Universal and Magic Kingdom though it's pushing it a bit for MK--especially if it's busy. Stay for the evening shows if you can. Got out from there for under $2k; stayed offsite (the motels all have package deals and we got one discounted offseason) and that made a big difference like Gman says. Breakfasts at the motel meant we didn't go in there hungry--which probably also saved a bundle since there's food galore like at a fairgrounds.

edit--my son was 11 when we went.

Sorry to bump and hitch on here but we're narrowly things down for our trip.... does anyone know if the Swan & Dolphin have the same benefits(transportation, early entry, etc.) as Disney Resorts even though they are not owned by Disney.
sTeam...What benefits are you getting from Swan & Dolphin?

I can't imagine it is (any or much) cheaper than the Pop Century or All-Star resorts, which are Disney operated, have nice amenities and all the onsite benefits. I actually preferred the Pop Century to the Coronado (much more expensive onsite property)
5 years ago we stayed at the All Star Music, my wife didn't like at all. Room was pretty dirty and we had real long waits for transportation. Maybe it was just the room we had and the time we went, but she wanted to try something different. I found a decent discount rate for teachers @ the Swan or Dolphin. Still not as cheap as teh value resorts, but somewhere in between the Moderates & the Value.
I stayed at the Pop Century & the Swan . Nicer rooms at the Swan but we liked the feel of the pop century. I've heard that the pop is much nicer that the other all star resorts.good info here about the different resorts-->http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

A 5 year old kid won`t appreciate anything about Disney! He will be just as happy at a Holidome 1 mile from your house swinng and playing.
Again, just as when this thread was started, I must ask....What age children have you taken to Disney?

You failed to answer the question last time, I can only imagine that you will do the same here.

I took my 5 YO son around Thanksgiving and he still brings it up in conversation 3 months later.

imo ages 5 through 10 are the perfect age for Disney.

Sorry to bump and hitch on here but we're narrowly things down for our trip.... does anyone know if the Swan & Dolphin have the same benefits(transportation, early entry, etc.) as Disney Resorts even though they are not owned by Disney.
sTeam...What benefits are you getting from Swan & Dolphin?

I can't imagine it is (any or much) cheaper than the Pop Century or All-Star resorts, which are Disney operated, have nice amenities and all the onsite benefits. I actually preferred the Pop Century to the Coronado (much more expensive onsite property)
5 years ago we stayed at the All Star Music, my wife didn't like at all. Room was pretty dirty and we had real long waits for transportation. Maybe it was just the room we had and the time we went, but she wanted to try something different. I found a decent discount rate for teachers @ the Swan or Dolphin. Still not as cheap as teh value resorts, but somewhere in between the Moderates & the Value.
I stayed at the Pop Century & the Swan . Nicer rooms at the Swan but we liked the feel of the pop century. I've heard that the pop is much nicer that the other all star resorts.good info here about the different resorts-->http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Thanks man.

I first went when I was 18 in 1977. I loved it then and love it now. We first took my three kids when they were 2,4 &5 and have gone with them about 6 times. They are 17,18, & 20 now and still love it.

We've never been bored there but I guess everyone is different.

Check out disboards.com, you'll find some pretty good info there.
POST OF THE THREADUsed this board when planning a trip for the GF and I last year. We stayed at the all star resorts and it was worth it if for nothing else than the EARLY ENTRY to the park. By the time the crowds started sifting in we had ridden 3 or 4 of the most popular rides with little or no wait. :thumbup:

The all star resorts are NOT fancy.. I'd compare them to a disney themed Comfort Inn... but they decor is neat and there are some cool areas on the property. THey spend the cash on the outside, not on the rooms.

I took my kids there when they were 8 and 9. It was hot, they got tired after about 2 hours at the park ,and begged all day long just to go back to the hotel and swim. My wife and I were fighting because the kids always wanted to go back and swin. We were yelling at them "We are at Disney! We are going to have fun!"We went back last year when they were 13 and 14 and they had a blast!

If you can afford it, do the all inclusive Disney Cruise trip. It's just one big price, but you get like 3 days to go to any disney park and then 4 days on a sweet cruise (where everything is always 100 percent Disney). Very solid vacation right there.

I took my kids there when they were 8 and 9. It was hot, they got tired after about 2 hours at the park ,and begged all day long just to go back to the hotel and swim. My wife and I were fighting because the kids always wanted to go back and swin. We were yelling at them "We are at Disney! We are going to have fun!"We went back last year when they were 13 and 14 and they had a blast!
8 and 9 might be a terrible time for your first trip to Disney. My son's been twice, once when he was 2 and once at 5. My daughter went when she was 3 (son was 5). They had a great time. In my opinion, this is a GREAT age for them to go. At this age, the MAGIC of Disney is real and there is no better feeling than to watch them as their eyes light up with awe and wonder at the characters, the surprises and the parades. They talk about it all the time. They want to go back every year. I have no doubt that if we go back when they are 10 and 8, they'll remember the magic and have a great time......however, if their first trip had been at that age, I think they might find it a little lacking. Too old to want to see the characters...not patient enough to wait in lines...

Has anyone taken a young kids(around 6 and 10) to the Cancun area? We are planning to spend a week in an oceanside condo in Puerto Aventuras later this year. I have no problem taking the kids but my wife is nervous about taking kids to Mexico.

So because you took your kids when it was 105 degrees out, we're supposed to assume that every child, under the age of your children at the time, are not going to appreciate Disney, regardless of the weather?gotcha

If you can afford it, do the all inclusive Disney Cruise trip. It's just one big price, but you get like 3 days to go to any disney park and then 4 days on a sweet cruise (where everything is always 100 percent Disney). Very solid vacation right there.
Yea, but when your wife gets motion Sickmess riding as a passenger in the car and doesn't swim very well that is unfortunatly not an option for us. :(

Yea, but when your wife gets motion Sickmess riding as a passenger in the car and doesn't swim very well that is unfortunatly not an option for us. :(
I get awful motion sickness too where I can't ride in long carrides, planes, or amusement park rides w/out taking dramamine, but that boat is so damn big you honestly don't feel it (granted I sailed during ideal weather conditions). Also, I think my mom never touched the water when we went.

T-minus ten days until [superbowlmvp]WE'RE GOIN' TO DISNEYLAND!!![/sbmvp] :excited:

Umm, and also Seaworld, and San Diego Wild Animal Park, and either Knott's Berry Farm or Universal Studios. :)

My almost-9yo still thinks she's Cinderella, after almost three years since we went to Disney World. She wants to wear her dress this time around, but at the rate she's been growing, it might look like a minidress. lol

My wife and I are secretly hoping Shamu soaks my almost-10yo again. :lol: We went to Seaworld in San Antonio almost six years ago, and she still remembers getting a face-full of water when Shamu splashed. The crowd in front of her ducked out of the way, and she got nailed. I'll have a video camera this time to record it for posterity. :D

:Griswoldmodeonstandby:

T-minus ten days until [superbowlmvp]WE'RE GOIN' TO DISNEYLAND!!![/sbmvp] :excited:

We went to Seaworld in San Antonio almost six years ago, and she still remembers getting a face-full of water when Shamu splashed. The crowd in front of her ducked out of the way, and she got nailed. I'll have a video camera this time to record it for posterity. :D

:Griswoldmodeonstandby:
Gold :thumbup:

8 and 9 is not too old for the characters. That part they enjoyed.
Didn't they enjoy the characters at the "local fair" like One-arm Jimmy the ride operator and the Bearded Lady? I would think most kids would prefer that to boring old Mickey and Goofy.

When we went to Disneyworld, we stayed offsite by renting a condo from Vacation Rentals By Owner. We got a great deal on a 3br/2ba condo just a couple miles outside the park. Much better than those shoe box sized rooms in the park, IMO. I don't like to have to go to bed when my kids do. This was perfect for us.

A 5 year old kid won`t appreciate anything about Disney! He will be just as happy at a Holidome 1 mile from your house swiming and playing.
Man, you just can't make that generalization. We are going this Summer with my 6 & 8 yo. When we told them, they went crazy with excitement and started talking about the last trip (in 2003...ages 4 & 6) and how much fun they had, what rides they want to do, etc. My kids have been three times. This time we'll probably do Universal for a couple days...they are running a great deal right now. A $100 2-day adult ticket turns into a 5 day ticket and kids (ages 3-9) are free for every adult. Check it out. That's five consecutive days of access to the Universal Orlando parks for $200 for a family of four...can't beat it.

Don't forget SeaWorld either. You can buy a ticket there that will get you access to SeaWorld, both Universal parks, and Wet 'n Wild for something like $190/adult and $160/child for a two week period. Again, good deal.

i stayed at the new orleans themed hotel. it was nice and I would stay there again. my annual work conference is held at the swan and dolphin. ive never stayed there since rooms are so high but they are very nice hotels compared to the others ive seen down there. also the shulas at swan is the bomb.

Sorry to bump and hitch on here but we're narrowly things down for our trip....  does anyone know if the Swan & Dolphin have the same benefits(transportation, early entry, etc.) as Disney Resorts even though they are not owned by Disney.
Yes they do.
THe swan and dolphin have early entry as well as transportation within disney property (although for Epcot and the studios walking would be faster) however they do not participate in magical express the free shuttle from the airport. Also, I'm not sure about the dining plan but I'm inclined to believe that it is not available. HOWEVER there are some GREAT deals to be had at swan and dolphin. Teachers and gov't employees can get great rates, as well as military members. There are also discounts available to AAA, entertainment book holders, and Annual passholders. For the location, you could really snag a great deal.

8 and 9 is not too old for the characters. That part they enjoyed.
Didn't they enjoy the characters at the "local fair" like One-arm Jimmy the ride operator and the Bearded Lady? I would think most kids would prefer that to boring old Mickey and Goofy.
To be honest..most would probably enjoy a local church carnival just as well!

The fam and I will be going next month. Kids are 4 and 10. This will be my son's first time...my daughters 3rd. In the past we have stayed both on resort and off. I have enjoyed both...this time we are staying off. Will let you know how it went.

One thing I would highly advise anyone - find out when Gay Day is, and avoid that.

it is May 30-June 4th this year -

http://www.gaydays.com/

Some people come to Orlando during Gay Days just to enjoy the company of 135,000+ other gays and lesbians, but most are looking to fill their itineraries with fun, fun, fun.
My wife made the mistake of booking a weekend @ Disney during gay day. One of her gay friends found about it, and told her about it before we left. I dug around to see if it was really that big of a deal, and it is. I canceled at the last minute - she is still angry with me for that, but there is no way I was going.In the end, it's not a homophobe thing - the main issue is that the parks will be absolutely packed that weekend - I read that they shut down the parks and stopped letting people in before noon because it was too crowded. If you are even slightly uncomfortable around gays or having your children around openly gay couples, you will not have a good time.

How far in advance should you book Disney? I have a vacation in August and am thinking we might take our 5 y. grandaughter.

go during non-peak times. less lines and better weather.

hit your local amusement parks and make sure the kids can spend a day at them before even considering disney. no point in putting down $2K to find they don't want to spend most of a day at the parks and would rather swim at the pool. but if you get them hooked on the rides and attractions at the local places first, then disney takes it to the next level and they will have a good time.

staying on site also gives you extra hours at the parks which allows you even more time to fit in the various attractions. during non-peak times this is critical as they close some parks earlier due to the less crowds.

animal kingdom is a one visit type park, the others can be hit a few times. as for epcot... Every Parent Carries Out Toddlers... it is a huge park with lots of walking to get to each attraction. Alot of great food spots and stations for the kids to make things though.

for motion sickness... try a ginger pill an hour before... saw it on mythbusters and plan on trying it out this summer on some spinning rides...

One thing I would highly advise anyone - find out when Gay Day is, and avoid that.

Some people come to Orlando during Gay Days just to enjoy the company of 135,000+ other gays and lesbians, but most are looking to fill their itineraries with fun, fun, fun.
My wife made the mistake of booking a weekend @ Disney during gay day. One of her gay friends found about it, and told her about it before we left. I dug around to see if it was really that big of a deal, and it is. I canceled at the last minute - she is still angry with me for that, but there is no way I was going.In the end, it's not a homophobe thing - the main issue is that the parks will be absolutely packed that weekend - I read that they shut down the parks and stopped letting people in before noon because it was too crowded. If you are even slightly uncomfortable around gays or having your children around openly gay couples, you will not have a good time.
:goodposting:

2 words

Disney Dining

Thank me later
Tell me more about this?I calculate rougly $100 a day for myself($38), my wife($38), and my 9($11) & 4($11) year old for the Dining Plan. This is 1 table service meal, 1 counter service meal, and 1 snack per person, per day correct? I can see this working out to a great deal if every meal you eat there is large meal, but 5 years ago when we visited the World, most of our meals were fast food combo meal type stuff... burgers, sammich, chicken, pizza, etc. I have no idea how much $'s we spent on that kind of stuff or the current menu prices. Hell maybe that stuff does work out to >$38/day, but it sure didn't seem like it. Seems like with this plan, you would have to plan your entire trip and itinerary around your meals instead of just doing your thing at the park and run in a grab a quick burger at the nearest eatery when the kids get hungry..

Any time they have any kind of special event in this town, whether it's a cultural fair, Gay Days, or anything else, the entire town becomes seized with the people there for that event. The entire complexion of the city changes (at least down where I live, near Tourist Land) for the duration of the event. It's annoying, but a necessary evil if you want to be in proximity to all the good things tourism fosters, like parks, restaurants, etc.

go during non-peak times. less lines and better weather.

hit your local amusement parks and make sure the kids can spend a day at them before even considering disney. no point in putting down $2K to find they don't want to spend most of a day at the parks and would rather swim at the pool. but if you get them hooked on the rides and attractions at the local places first, then disney takes it to the next level and they will have a good time.

staying on site also gives you extra hours at the parks which allows you even more time to fit in the various attractions. during non-peak times this is critical as they close some parks earlier due to the less crowds.

animal kingdom is a one visit type park, the others can be hit a few times. as for epcot... Every Parent Carries Out Toddlers... it is a huge park with lots of walking to get to each attraction. Alot of great food spots and stations for the kids to make things though.

for motion sickness... try a ginger pill an hour before... saw it on mythbusters and plan on trying it out this summer on some spinning rides...
You're running out of time for this very quickly.

Going for about my 10th time at the end of this month. It will be my 2-yr old son's 4th trip. He loves it. Always tells us he wants to go to Mickey's house to see the big castle.

We love the place. My wife has become an expert on the place and all the deals and whatnot. We always stay in the park. It's been PopCentury the past few times and we like it. We did Port Orleans a few times but we hate that place.

The new Disney Express bus system rocks as well. They really do a great job with the whole universe of stuff down there.

My kids still talk about the time we stayed overnight in a hotel 10 miles away that had an indoor water park. I'm not sure I see your point. I'm pretty sure your kids love you whether you take them to Disney or whether you take them on some other family trip.

Users who are viewing this thread