Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Disney Vacation

Okay, I have two boys, 18 and 11, and was thinking about taking them to Disneyworld in June. I would like to probably go for about 4 days and stay on-site. Of course being a single dad I have done no planning for this. Recommendations on where to stay, what parks to go to, how to book the trip etc.? I don't mind paying the market rate, more interested in getting the maximum out of the trip with the least amount of hassle. Thanks for any help

58 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Okay, I have two boys, 18 and 11, and was thinking about taking them to Disneyworld in June. I would like to probably go for about 4 days and stay on-site. Of course being a single dad I have done no planning for this. Recommendations on where to stay, what parks to go to, how to book the trip etc.? I don't mind paying the market rate, more interested in getting the maximum out of the trip with the least amount of hassle. Thanks for any help

Weirdly enough, with that demographic, I'd say make MK your last priority.  I'd probably make HS my priority and try to do the Star Wars stuff with the roller coasters.  Then I'd go to AK for a day also.  Then I'd probably go MK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dhockster said:

I agree with @The Commish

I would stay at the Boardwalk or Beach Club. That will allow you to walk to Hollywood Studios AND Epcot. It also allows you to go back to the hotel easily. If you get park hoppers which you might not need, you can eat at Epcot every night.

Edited by AcerFC
  • Like 1

@dhockster- what are the boys in to?  As Commish and Acer said, Magic Kingdom is typically a park more for younger kids.  There's a handful of rides they will like but the park overall is targeted toward little ones.  Given those ages and the timing, I would look about going to the water parks (assuming they are open) too - especially to build in some down time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

@dhockster- what are the boys in to?  As Commish and Acer said, Magic Kingdom is typically a park more for younger kids.  There's a handful of rides they will like but the park overall is targeted toward little ones.  Given those ages and the timing, I would look about going to the water parks (assuming they are open) too - especially to build in some down time.

I think they would like the water park idea and they are big into Marvel movies. My oldest really hasn't been to many amusement parks but went to Six Flags recently and really enjoyed the roller coasters. So whatever park has the most type of those rides he would probably enjoy. Is the Disney water park good?

Just now, dhockster said:

I think they would like the water park idea and they are big into Marvel movies. My oldest really hasn't been to many amusement parks but went to Six Flags recently and really enjoyed the roller coasters. So whatever park has the most type of those rides he would probably enjoy. Is the Disney water park good?

To my knowledge there's still not a ton of Marvel at the parks but I think what they do have is at Hollywood Studios along with Star Wars.  Honestly, as much as I love Disney, you don't really go there for roller coasters like you do a Six Flags or Carowinds/King's Island, etc.  But what they do have are pretty awesome and well themed.

I think the water parks are outstanding - super clean compared to the ones I've been too and the rides are top notch.  I don't know for sure they are opened back up yet and what the capacity is if they are open.

Not sure the number of days you are doing but if you went for seven days you could hit each park once, the 2 water parks once each and leave a down day in the middle.  It's lots of walking and if you stay on property you'll have a nice pool area to use during the day off.

7 minutes ago, dhockster said:

I don't want to completely upend your plans, but if they are coaster fans, it might be better to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa and Sea World in Orlando.  They are all owned by the same people and you can get passes between the two far cheaper than tickets to Disney.  

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I don't want to completely upend your plans, but if they are coaster fans, it might be better to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa and Sea World in Orlando.  They are all owned by the same people and you can get passes between the two far cheaper than tickets to Disney.  

No upending at this point, I haven't booked anything yet. Appreciate all options.

1 minute ago, dhockster said:

No upending at this point, I haven't booked anything yet. Appreciate all options.

It probably sounds like a lot to go between Orlando and Tampa, but it really isn't that bad.  The parks are an hour and a half from each other and both have quality roller coasters.  They each have pretty cool animal exhibits too.  And they are SIGNIFICANTLY more affordable than Disney once you factor in food, lodging etc.  Then there is Universal Studios....they are light on roller coasters but have a bunch of different emersion rides.  

@dhockster

so let me ask, why Disney? I ask b/c with your kids ages, Universal Studios might be a better fit for you. Not to add options to your plate, but if you are looking for a theme park experience, but are not a pixie duster and need to "walk with Walt", your 4 days might be better spend over at Universal. 

Let me give a few reasons:

• Size: WDW is huge and there is a lot of time spent traveling from resort to park and back.  4 days is kind of the bare min I would ever recommend someones does Disney. So posters mention staying at the 2 resorts listed b/c of their proximity which is good advice, but for the same price (plus a bonus I'll mention later) you are literally within walking distance to both Universal parks, and their nightlife area "City Walk"

• Theme: Make no mistake, I love WDW. But it is built for both very young and old, pirates and princesses. Each park will have a mix of rides that hit each demo, and usually 1-2 thrill rides per park. At UO (Universal Orlando), it is pretty much high octane throughout both parks with very little real estate given to youngins. You'll get in 2 parks what you would pay for (tickets and time) 4 parks at WDW.  

• Time: With 4 days in your vacation at WDW, and without springing for hopper passes (allow you to bounce between parks, however it is very limited to certain afternoon hours right now), you really don't have the time or ability to go back and do that "that was awesome" attractions. Even with the hoppers, traveling, screening and admission process to each park takes time just to go back and do that "one thing".  OU the parks are literally next to each other, and once you are "inside the safety bubble" you can move freely back and forth between the 2. They are even connected by an attraction in the back of the parks, so you dont even have to go back to the front gates. Overall, the OU resort footprint is much much smaller then WDW. 

• Resorts: The resorts at UO are just as good as WDW's. They have price/amenity categories just like WDW. For you and the boys, if you can swing it, I would recommend the Hard Rock Hotel. It is literally steps from the park entrances, its got a very cool vibe (the pool is awesome) and it is 1 of 3 deluxe resorts that give you their "Express Pass" as a perk. What is Ex. Pass you ask, basically it is a front of the line pass for EVERY Ride, ALL day! (this is the bonus I was talking about). Disney offers their version called FastPass that is free for everyone, but it only gives you 3 rides a day, and you have to book your ride times 60 days before going there. This is 100% spontaneous and can be used as often as you want. WE normally go on the summer and rarely wait more then 15 mins for anything. 

• They have a water park too, so you can go on that mid-trip day and break things up. 

• Kid's Likes: Even though Disney technically owns Marvel, UO had them 1st and they have some rides for their characters. Hulk is an amazing roller coaster, and Spider Man is honestly one of the best rides going, its old but it was ahead of its time. UO also has all the Harry Potter stuff, and while I'm not a real HP fan, those rides are amazing, plus the land is themed so well. Also, they just added a brand new Jurassic Park coaster which looks pretty bad ###. 

• Dining: Their City walk has some really great places to eat. And everything is walk up seating. I love WDW but their reservation system can be frustrating at times as you have to book everything before you go and a lot of their sit down options are not even open. Sometimes you want to just be able to pick where you eat on a whim.  Each resort has dining too, one of the best meals we ate was an "All you can eat Wok bar" at the Royal Pacific resort and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. 

As anyone here will tell you, I am a huge WDW fan. But if you are not emotionally invested in the magic of Disney, and just want a fun time with some older boys, def consider UO. I can give you more details on both properties if you want. 

My other advice—esp for someone who does not know much about either resort—is to hire a travel agent. For both resorts they pay the commission and it does not cost you a single dollar. If anything, they know the discounts and deals and can save you money. Plus they know the in and outs best. I can gladly recommend a few who I know personally and are great. 

Edited by glvsav37
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

@dhockster

so let me ask, why Disney? I ask b/c with your kids ages, Universal Studios might be a better fit for you. Not to add options to your plate, but if you are looking for a theme park experience, but are not a pixie duster and need to "walk with Walt", your 4 days might be better spend over at Universal. 

Let me give a few reasons:

• Size: WDW is huge and there is a lot of time spent traveling from resort to park and back.  4 days is kind of the bare min I would ever recommend someones does Disney. So posters mention staying at the 2 resorts listed b/c of their proximity which is good advice, but for the same price (plus a bonus I'll mention later) you are literally within walking distance to both Universal parks, and their nightlife area "City Walk"

• Theme: Make no mistake, I love WDW. But it is built for both very young and old, pirates and princesses. Each park will have a mix of rides that hit each demo, and usually 1-2 thrill rides per park. At UO (Universal Orlando), it is pretty much high octane throughout both parks with very little real estate given to youngins. You'll get in 2 parks what you would pay for (tickets and time) 4 parks at WDW.  

• Time: With 4 days in your vacation at WDW, and without springing for hopper passes (allow you to bounce between parks, however it is very limited to certain afternoon hours right now), you really don't have the time or ability to go back and do that "that was awesome" attractions. Even with the hoppers, traveling, screening and admission process to each park takes time just to go back and do that "one thing".  OU the parks are literally next to each other, and once you are "inside the safety bubble" you can move freely back and forth between the 2. They are even connected by an attraction in the back of the parks, so you dont even have to go back to the front gates. Overall, the OU resort footprint is much much smaller then WDW. 

• Resorts: The resorts at UO are just as good as WDW's. They have price/amenity categories just like WDW. For you and the boys, if you can swing it, I would recommend the Hard Rock Hotel. It is literally steps from the park entrances, its got a very cool vibe (the pool is awesome) and it is 1 of 3 deluxe resorts that give you their "Express Pass" as a perk. What is Ex. Pass you ask, basically it is a front of the line pass for EVERY Ride, ALL day! (this is the bonus I was talking about). Disney offers their version called FastPass that is free for everyone, but it only gives you 3 rides a day, and you have to book your ride times 60 days before going there. This is 100% spontaneous and can be used as often as you want. WE normally go on the summer and rarely wait more then 15 mins for anything. 

• They have a water park too, so you can go on that mid-trip day and break things up. 

• Kid's Likes: Even though Disney technically owns Marvel, UO had them 1st and they have some rides for their characters. Hulk is an amazing roller coaster, and Spider Man is honestly one of the best rides going, its old but it was ahead of its time. UO also has all the Harry Potter stuff, and while I'm not a real HP fan, those rides are amazing, plus the land is themed so well. Also, they just added a brand new Jurassic Park coaster which looks pretty bad ###. 

• Dining: Their City walk has some really great places to eat. And everything is walk up seating. I love WDW but their reservation system can be frustrating at times as you have to book everything before you go and a lot of their sit down options are not even open. Sometimes you want to just be able to pick where you eat on a whim.  Each resort has dining too, one of the best meals we ate was an "All you can eat Wok bar" at the Royal Pacific resort and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. 

As anyone here will tell you, I am a huge WDW fan. But if you are not emotionally invested in the magic of Disney, and just want a fun time with some older boys, def consider UO. I can give you more details on both properties if you want. 

My other advice—esp for someone who does not know much about either resort—is to hire a travel agent. For both resorts they pay the commission and it does not cost you a single dollar. If anything, they know the discounts and deals and can save you money. Plus they know the in and outs best. I can gladly recommend a few who I know personally and are great. 

Great information! Thanks for that write up. I am not set on Disney World, I just didn't know all that Universal Studios offered. If you want to DM those travel agents, I would definitely like to use them.

Went back to Universal in February with my two daughters being 17 and 14. Last time we were there they were 12 and 9.

They liked it better the first time. Universal is full of simulation rides. So age may be an issue when deciding. 

My girls now prefer Cedar Point, Kings Island, Dollywood, etc. 

3 hours ago, dhockster said:

Great information! Thanks for that write up. I am not set on Disney World, I just didn't know all that Universal Studios offered. If you want to DM those travel agents, I would definitely like to use them.

Everything @glvsav37said is true but I'll be honest - I'm not a huge fan of Universal.  My kids are 12, 15, 17, 19 and they all like Disney better.  Granted they grew up going to it so it's not totally fair to compare but to me Disney is just a superior product in almost all ways.  The nice thing is they are so close to each other that you can do both in one trip if you want.

29 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Everything @glvsav37said is true but I'll be honest - I'm not a huge fan of Universal.  My kids are 12, 15, 17, 19 and they all like Disney better.  Granted they grew up going to it so it's not totally fair to compare but to me Disney is just a superior product in almost all ways.  The nice thing is they are so close to each other that you can do both in one trip if you want.

well 🤬 you then.....lol

Just now, AAABatteries said:

:lmao:  

Just admit it - you've planned the long game with us all these years and you actually hate Disney, don't you!!!!??!

Yep, you guys got me all figured out....years of promoting Disney just to eventually drive traffic to UO. lol 

The 2 properties are completely different. For me it comes down to a few things. 

If you are a real Disney fan, you really go to WDW for the atmosphere, history and the overall grandure of the park. Disney adults find themselves doing more kid-like things b/c they are invested in the movies, stories and the creativity. 

But to the casual or 1st time guest, WDW can be a very large, overwhelming and seemingly overly expensive place. Many guests who are not "in the know" get there and see things or ways other families are working the system and get frustrated b/c there is just too much to plan without knowing the property as well as we do.

I admit, UO cannot hold a candle to the theming, creativity and history of WDW. But I wonder how much of that is valued by the average guest, esp these days. While you and I may love attractions like the Tiki Room, imagine seeing that for the 1st time today? Small world is a Disney treasure, but are you waiting 45min on line for that if you didn't really know it? And if you are really into thrill ride, which most 11 and 18 year olds (like the OP) are, how many time can you ride your getting 1-2 per park? 

IMO, my biggest enjoyment of UO when we go is the smaller footprint and the express pass. We do UO 1st for 3 days and then WDW for the rest, and once we move over I find things like the transportation, limited FP, and strict planning aspect a annoying chore. The more I counsel people on how to "do disney right", I find myself having to explain the equivalent of WW2 tactical landing plans. The things I mentioned in my original post—walk up dining, walking distance to both parks and the Express Pass included—just divide the 2 properties into "easy" vs "confusing." And when you only have a few days to spend, easy wins IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Ages and coasters are why i suggested busch gardens and/or sea world. 

We are doing BG williamsburg for the 1st time this summer. Looking froward to it. 

45 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

We are doing BG williamsburg for the 1st time this summer. Looking froward to it. 

If you have the option, do their meal plan....no brainer. One fee to eat once an hour all day long plus discounts on snacks at kiosks. Food here isnt baf either....very similar to the walk up places in disney

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 2:09 PM, dhockster said:

My kids are older (older than yours) and they love Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Highly recommend. 

Add me to the Disney atmosphere and rides over Universal. By the time you get to your 5th simulation, you are kind of like, ok let’s get something new. Potter coaster awesome but still simulation. Haven’t done Hagrids ride

My wife, daughter and I were visiting my parents in Islamorada and, of course,  we had to hit something Disney on the way back. Because of how things fell, we decided to just hit Disney Springs and I drank while they shopped. 

Anyway, pretty good day all told but, I have to say, I was really disappointed in Maria and Enzo's. I've heard really good reviews,  but I just didn't see it. The lasagna I got was good (not great), my wife's chicken parm was middle of the road and my daughter's ravioli was mediocre at best. The ravioli had enough pesto on it to choke a horse. I love pesto, so I switched plates with my daughter and it was too much for even me.

All in all, I'd go back if someone I was with insisted on trying it, but it wouldn't even be in my top 15 restaurants in Disney Springs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Anybody know when Disney attendance goes up? We are rushing to get to the park as many times as we can before it goes up. Heading to Hollywood on Tuesday. 

Rumor is October,  just in time for the 50th anniversary celebration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Capella said:

Anybody know when Disney attendance goes up? We are rushing to get to the park as many times as we can before it goes up. Heading to Hollywood on Tuesday. 

I haven't heard, but I'd bet it would be AFTER summer, unless they can't resist doing something dumb.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

My wife, daughter and I were visiting my parents in Islamorada and, of course,  we had to hit something Disney on the way back. Because of how things fell, we decided to just hit Disney Springs and I drank while they shopped. 

Anyway, pretty good day all told but, I have to say, I was really disappointed in Maria and Enzo's. I've heard really good reviews,  but I just didn't see it. The lasagna I got was good (not great), my wife's chicken parm was middle of the road and my daughter's ravioli was mediocre at best. The ravioli had enough pesto on it to choke a horse. I love pesto, so I switched plates with my daughter and it was too much for even me.

All in all, I'd go back if someone I was with insisted on trying it, but it wouldn't even be in my top 15 restaurants in Disney Springs. 

If I'm being honest, I don't get the hype of the restaurants in Disney Springs.  Homecoming was ok to me and the places like TRex, I can't handle.  However, we ate at Morimoto's place a few months back and man....the short rib dish they had was phenomenal.  Everyone loved their meals.  It's really the only place I've been in there that I look forward to going back to.  

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

If I'm being honest, I don't get the hype of the restaurants in Disney Springs.  Homecoming was ok to me and the places like TRex, I can't handle.  However, we ate at Morimoto's place a few months back and man....the short rib dish they had was phenomenal.  Everyone loved their meals.  It's really the only place I've been in there that I look forward to going back to.  

:goodposting: Wine Bar George is very good, but not exactly a family place. I was disappointed by Homecoming. Paddlefish is okay too, but many of the park restaurants are superior to those in Disney Springs imo.

11 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Rumor is October,  just in time for the 50th anniversary celebration. 

7 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I haven't heard, but I'd bet it would be AFTER summer, unless they can't resist doing something dumb.

Great, would be plenty of chances to get over there before the mass hoards return. 

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

:goodposting: Wine Bar George is very good, but not exactly a family place. I was disappointed by Homecoming. Paddlefish is okay too, but many of the park restaurants are superior to those in Disney Springs imo.

Homecoming kinda sucks. A southerner should be completely embarrassed to serve collard greens that bad. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Homecoming kinda sucks. A southerner should be completely embarrassed to serve collard greens that bad. 

Thinnest fried green tomatoes I have ever seen. Most of the restaurants who serve them in southern Hillsborough County put theirs to shame imo.

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Thinnest fried green tomatoes I have ever seen. Most of the restaurants who serve them in southern Hillsborough County put theirs to shame imo.

Yea I remember not liking them either. I’ll never be back. Honestly still blown away at how bad his greens were. 

Edited by Capella

6 minutes ago, Capella said:

I absolutely HATE collard greens, but my wife's are fantastic and she said the exact same thing you did :lmao: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

I absolutely HATE collard greens, but my wife's are fantastic and she said the exact same thing you did :lmao: 

Mine are amazing. It made me so mad!! They’re so simple...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Commish said:

My thoughts too. I've enjoyed some of them (Paddlefish, Boathouse, STK) but have been disappointed more often than not. IMO, the resorts and Epcot are where the better restaurants are.

• Like 1

Logged on to Disneyland site at 8am this morning. Business as usual. Refreshed at 9am and it put me in a virtual que

Finally got on at 1:30pm but was able to snag Grand Californian reservations for August as well as 3 day 1 park per day passes. 

Now all we have to do is pop in and get the reservations we want and cross our fingers that they will be there for us. Cant do that yet though since it doesnt go out that far

Edited by AcerFC
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Capella said:

Great, would be plenty of chances to get over there before the mass hoards return. 

One of the Disney blogs I sometimes read suggested that capacity will be increasing at DW as early as May or June. This was based on the fact that Disney just added a lot of ticket availability starting in late May where previously park passes were tough to get for that time period. I don't think they expect capacity to go back to pre-COVID levels that quickly but they seem to think it will go up significantly from where it is now.

I'm just wondering if we'll be able to walk in for dinner at Sanaa next Tues. since we're staying at Kidani Village. Ressies have said no availability forever. I'm open for a spot in the lounge too.

2 years ago we went to Epcot on Christmas day and wanted to lunch in Italy. Same deal, I tried and tried for a ressie but always unavailable. Then we just walked up around 11:45 and the place was empty and they seated us directly.

I even spoke with the managers who had nothing else to do but stand around, "why can't I get a ressie, this place is crickets?" "Sorry sir, we were not aware." WTH?

16 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

I'm just wondering if we'll be able to walk in for dinner at Sanaa next Tues. since we're staying at Kidani Village. Ressies have said no availability forever. I'm open for a spot in the lounge too.

2 years ago we went to Epcot on Christmas day and wanted to lunch in Italy. Same deal, I tried and tried for a ressie but always unavailable. Then we just walked up around 11:45 and the place was empty and they seated us directly.

I even spoke with the managers who had nothing else to do but stand around, "why can't I get a ressie, this place is crickets?" "Sorry sir, we were not aware." WTH?

The reservation system is all kinds of wonky right now. When I made reservations qt Maria and Enzos on Sunday for our Wednesday dinner,  the earliest available was something like 6:30. When I looked again the day of the reservation,  it gave me a 5:00 option. When we actually got there, it was the same thing you experienced: crickets. There were, literally, three tables taken. When we left there were maybe 10.

Edited by Deranged Hermit

20 hours ago, Capella said:

Maybe because you were calling it a ressie 

Former restauranteur term. The first thing you looked at was the night ahead bookings. 29 years ago I opened the Dolphin Depot in Jax Beach.

Edited by Joe Mammy
  • Thanks 1

Well, despite some ticket snafus, we are pretty much set up for our trip in July.  We last went in 2017, so, even though none of the 50th anniversary stuff will really be going yet, there is plenty new there that we haven't done, so it will be a different trip for us.  (This is our 6th trip since 2010)  Since there are so many experts in here, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following thoughts:

- We are staying offsite, but my kids want to get Magic Bands for this trip, so we're thinking of purchasing them.  Can I still link my credit card to them for purchasing even if we are not staying onsite?  If not, they would just be for ticket entry, since there are currently no Fastpasses, as I don't think we're doing the Memory Maker.  

- We will probably mainly do counter service, with maybe 1 or 2 table service in our 8 days there.  We have 5 teenagers, so any sit down meal is going to run us probably minimum $200 (my wife and I are both teachers, so we're not making typical FBG money), so they will be limited.  I know to use mobile ordering for counter service, and our 60 day is coming up for making ADRs.  We're not particularly adventurous eaters, but we will be in Epcot on the day of our anniversary, so thinking of making one there.  Best recommendations?  The only 2 sit downs we've done in Epcot are Le Cellier and Coral Reef.  The new Space restaurant is not open yet, correct?  I've always thought about doing the Mexican joint.  

- My oldest son is a certifiable Star Wars nerd, so obviously Hollywood Studios is his jam.  Hopefully we'll be able to get on Rise of the Resistance.  I figure if I can get the teenagers out of bed, a bunch of us trying at 7 AM for a boarding group should allow one of us to get it.  Is it possible for more than one person to get a boarding group if 5 or 6 of us are trying?  If so, we could theoretically do it twice?  That's probably asking a lot.  Also, he really wants to build a light saber.  That requires a reservation as well, I believe.  How far out can you make those?  

- Any chump can get on the Skyliner, right?  I figured maybe we'd leave a park and take it over to a resort on the line for a break or a meal or something.  The kids seem like they want to take a ride.  

- We got the water park option added to our tickets.  I wish the NBA Experience was up, my son and I would love that.  Anyone ever played the foot golf course?  Seems fun until I think of the idea of doing it in 96 degree weather.  We figure we'll hit up Blizzard Beach once or twice.  My wife and I have been to Typhoon Lagoon years ago, but none of us have ever been to BB.  Any tips would be appreciated.  

Sorry for all the questions.  I consider us Disney veterans, but enough has changed and we're trying enough new things that I feel a bit behind the curve for this trip.  And that's with not even having to worry about making Fastpass reservations.  Thanks in advance.  

Booked a trip for first week of November. First time going as an adult and my 12 year old’s first time. Already planning on the place being absolutely jam packed since it will be early in the 50th anniversary celebration and Jersey week. In fact, we tried to book rooms at Pop Century this weekend through my friend who is a Disney planner and it’s already completely booked.

We’ll make the best of it though. I figure, in the end, it’s what you make of it. If you decide to have fun no matter the crowds, you’ll have a much better time than being grumpy the entire time. Just hoping that they’ll have a lot more open by then, especially the fireworks.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

Well, despite some ticket snafus, we are pretty much set up for our trip in July.  We last went in 2017, so, even though none of the 50th anniversary stuff will really be going yet, there is plenty new there that we haven't done, so it will be a different trip for us.  (This is our 6th trip since 2010)  Since there are so many experts in here, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following thoughts:

- We are staying offsite, but my kids want to get Magic Bands for this trip, so we're thinking of purchasing them.  Can I still link my credit card to them for purchasing even if we are not staying onsite?  If not, they would just be for ticket entry, since there are currently no Fastpasses, as I don't think we're doing the Memory Maker.  

- We will probably mainly do counter service, with maybe 1 or 2 table service in our 8 days there.  We have 5 teenagers, so any sit down meal is going to run us probably minimum $200 (my wife and I are both teachers, so we're not making typical FBG money), so they will be limited.  I know to use mobile ordering for counter service, and our 60 day is coming up for making ADRs.  We're not particularly adventurous eaters, but we will be in Epcot on the day of our anniversary, so thinking of making one there.  Best recommendations?  The only 2 sit downs we've done in Epcot are Le Cellier and Coral Reef.  The new Space restaurant is not open yet, correct?  I've always thought about doing the Mexican joint.  

- My oldest son is a certifiable Star Wars nerd, so obviously Hollywood Studios is his jam.  Hopefully we'll be able to get on Rise of the Resistance.  I figure if I can get the teenagers out of bed, a bunch of us trying at 7 AM for a boarding group should allow one of us to get it.  Is it possible for more than one person to get a boarding group if 5 or 6 of us are trying?  If so, we could theoretically do it twice?  That's probably asking a lot.  Also, he really wants to build a light saber.  That requires a reservation as well, I believe.  How far out can you make those?  

- Any chump can get on the Skyliner, right?  I figured maybe we'd leave a park and take it over to a resort on the line for a break or a meal or something.  The kids seem like they want to take a ride.  

- We got the water park option added to our tickets.  I wish the NBA Experience was up, my son and I would love that.  Anyone ever played the foot golf course?  Seems fun until I think of the idea of doing it in 96 degree weather.  We figure we'll hit up Blizzard Beach once or twice.  My wife and I have been to Typhoon Lagoon years ago, but none of us have ever been to BB.  Any tips would be appreciated.  

Sorry for all the questions.  I consider us Disney veterans, but enough has changed and we're trying enough new things that I feel a bit behind the curve for this trip.  And that's with not even having to worry about making Fastpass reservations.  Thanks in advance.  

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy

1. Yes, you'll need to buy the magic bands but I dont believe you can link them to your CC without a resort reservation b/c that is where they take your CC info. You can buy them early and link them to your MDE account for tickets. 

2. Correct Space2020 is not open yet in Epcot. I dont excatly know what is open or not for sit down dining, but I enjoy  Via Napoli in Itally. Its not overly romantic but the pizza is great b/c they use a water imported in that is very similar to water in Italy. Plus the big open face  ovens are cool. I also love Teppan Edo at japan. Either side—the hibachi or the regular dining side is great. Mexico has a really awesome ambiance, but I hear people either love or hate the food, pretty much 50/50. However if you really want a good meal, walk over to the Swan and Dolphin and go to Todd English's blue Zoo or Shula's streakhouse. Neither are cheap, but if its an anniversary dinner, you might consider splurging. 

3. I dont have any tips to get on Rise, sorry, I have not done it yet. Same with the lightsaber, never made one. 

4. I've ridden the skyliner and for connivance its awesome. Yes anyone can ride it. The new Riviera resort is on that line and I've heard great things about Topolino's Terrace Restaurant there. It also connects to the Art of Animation resort which is a fun diversion to look at their lifesize sculptures of characters. You say you are doing quick service, their food court is pretty good too. 

5. Never played any sort of Golf at WDW, but the foot golf sounds fun. Would be a big chunk of your day though i would imagine. WE prefer Bliz Beach over typhoon. Its just newer, the ski lift is fun and the overall park feels more fun. I know I cant spend your money, but I recommend renting an "Umbrella" Its a group of chairs is a sectioned off area of the park that is a bit safer then leaving your stuff out in the open. Plus you are guaranteed a place to hang out vs trying to find a group of chairs not already claimed. We like it as its a great "home base" for the kids. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy

1. Yes, you'll need to buy the magic bands but I dont believe you can link them to your CC without a resort reservation b/c that is where they take your CC info. You can buy them early and link them to your MDE account for tickets. 

2. Correct Space2020 is not open yet in Epcot. I dont excatly know what is open or not for sit down dining, but I enjoy  Via Napoli in Itally. Its not overly romantic but the pizza is great b/c they use a water imported in that is very similar to water in Italy. Plus the big open face  ovens are cool. I also love Teppan Edo at japan. Either side—the hibachi or the regular dining side is great. Mexico has a really awesome ambiance, but I hear people either love or hate the food, pretty much 50/50. However if you really want a good meal, walk over to the Swan and Dolphin and go to Todd English's blue Zoo or Shula's streakhouse. Neither are cheap, but if its an anniversary dinner, you might consider splurging. 

3. I dont have any tips to get on Rise, sorry, I have not done it yet. Same with the lightsaber, never made one. 

4. I've ridden the skyliner and for connivance its awesome. Yes anyone can ride it. The new Riviera resort is on that line and I've heard great things about Topolino's Terrace Restaurant there. It also connects to the Art of Animation resort which is a fun diversion to look at their lifesize sculptures of characters. You say you are doing quick service, their food court is pretty good too. 

5. Never played any sort of Golf at WDW, but the foot golf sounds fun. Would be a big chunk of your day though i would imagine. WE prefer Bliz Beach over typhoon. Its just newer, the ski lift is fun and the overall park feels more fun. I know I cant spend your money, but I recommend renting an "Umbrella" Its a group of chairs is a sectioned off area of the park that is a bit safer then leaving your stuff out in the open. Plus you are guaranteed a place to hang out vs trying to find a group of chairs not already claimed. We like it as its a great "home base" for the kids. 

Thanks, glvsav.  I had forgotten that we have been to Via Napoli.  We did enjoy it, and that's always a good option. While I know it is not the same, we did hear that if we take the Skyliner over to Art of Animation, their food court has a pretty economical pizza deal with salad and breadsticks that's not bad.  I will look into renting the space at Blizzard Beach.  That sounds like a smart play.  

I did a little more reading and it seems as if there is a limit to one boarding group per day for Rise.  And you make Savi's reservations 60 days out like you do with dining.  

• Like 1

So, I see now they've moved up the Food and Wine Festival to start on July 15.  That's our anniversary and the day we will be at Epcot.  So, instead of making a reservation at a restaurant, maybe we'll just hit up a bunch of food at that.  We've never been before since we can't travel in the fall.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, glvsav37 said:

Disney offers their version called FastPass that is free for everyone, but it only gives you 3 rides a day, and you have to book your ride times 60 days before going there. This is 100% spontaneous and can be used as often as you want. WE normally go on the summer and rarely wait more then 15 mins for anything. 

Hasn't Disney suspended the Fast Pass system for now?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Hasn't Disney suspended the Fast Pass system for now?

Yes, for now. Have to think that when they open up to larger crowds eventually, either FastPass will be back or some other similar system will replace it. Who knows when that will be or what it will look like though.