What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (5 Viewers)

The new Jungle Cruise Movie, staring the Rock, will come out on July 30th in theaters and also on Disney+ Premier Access. It was pushed back last year w/o an official date in mind then. This timing and release makes it a perfect movie for a family night outside on the projector!!   

Had hoped/counted on things being back to normal or close to it by our trip in November and it’s looking extremely promising. Love today’s CDC news. Daughter has never been to DW so looking forward to the full experience: fireworks, parades, character greetings, etc.

On a personal note: I may have mentioned it in the past, but I'm a graphic designer and run my own studio. I just got off a call with a new client who is putting on a new Disney themed expo in Orlando in December. He has partnered with some people who run successful expos for other genres and have good connections to those celebrities who make the Expo rounds. 

I've been hired to create the branding, marketing materials, social images, on site signage and any other items needed.  So if it all goes well, I'll finally be back in town to be on-site for this thing later in the year and maybe get some "Staff" access to the events. 

Honeymoon 2000, back when there were paper fastpasses. Wife and I are not shy and wore our wedding ears everywhere. The FP attendant noticed them as we were getting RnRC FPs and gave us an extra set. 

We went in on our orig FPs, and at the end a nice CM saw our ears and said "hey, come here" and let us in a side door back to the load area for another ride. We took it and at unload the CM was distracted so we simply left and went to use the 2nd set of FPs. After that trip around, the CM noticed us again, and was like "how did you guys get back here again?" then gave us the wink and opened up the side door again for us. So that was 4 straight laps on that puppy for us. 
I remember back in those days we rode RnRC 6 times in one day. Somewhere I have a video of one of those rides. 

GroveDiesel said:
Had hoped/counted on things being back to normal or close to it by our trip in November and it’s looking extremely promising. Love today’s CDC news. Daughter has never been to DW so looking forward to the full experience: fireworks, parades, character greetings, etc.
I have tickets from last year, planning to wait until it’s “back to normal” to re-book

we originally had a 3 days Universal / 3 Days Disney trip planned.  May just end up doing a shorter Disney trip when it’s all said and done

Still sucks sitting on like $2K worth of tickets I can’t use anytime soon

I have tickets from last year, planning to wait until it’s “back to normal” to re-book

we originally had a 3 days Universal / 3 Days Disney trip planned.  May just end up doing a shorter Disney trip when it’s all said and done

Still sucks sitting on like $2K worth of tickets I can’t use anytime soon
I would rather have the 2k in Disney tickets than the 1k in a hotel in Paris that refuses to give us our money back. We were able to get it extended to this December but as a teacher, there are only so many times I can get to France and we are not going this summer. Hoping we can somehow get it extended to next summer

The wife and I just got back from 5 days in Disney. We did Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Magic Kingdom, and Epcot. I'm open to any questions.

Honestly, Blizzard Beach and Disney Springs were probably our favorite parts of the trip (along with going to Long Boat Key beach on way home).

A few miscellaneous comments:

- Big Roman pizza at Pizza Ponte is solid. As is the mushroom pizza at Wolfgang Puck. Blaze Pizza kinda sucks.

- We also had a really great meal at The Boathouse and rode the amphi car thingie. That was fun.

- If you go to Ragland Road restaurant, I'd suggest waiting longer for a good seat. Even with our reservation and and additional wait, we got the short end with a booth seat that had no view of the singing/dancing. 

- My fitbit registered about 96k steps over the 5 days. Make sure you wear sneakers everywhere. 

- Use the Disney app for the parks and monitor wait times. I'd also suggest mapping out a park plan the night before regarding what rides to do in what order and where to eat. It will help avoid mindlessly wondering the park in very warm temperatures. 

Happy day! Face coverings are now optional in all of the theme parks and resorts when outside. You still need them when on line, indoors, on an attraction and on any WDW transportation. 

Also, physical distancing has been reduced from 6 feet to 3 feet overall.

UO has also reduced their policy as well
Hopefully it will be maskless by September,  but I'll take this if not.

Went to Kona for dinner and it was honestly one of the worst meals I’ve had in my life. The steak was so dry and old tasting it was basically inedible. Broccoli wasn’t even cooked. Fish was gray. God. 

I’m sure these places don’t have everybody back but then they shouldn’t be charging full prices. I remember Kona being really good?

Went to Kona for dinner and it was honestly one of the worst meals I’ve had in my life. The steak was so dry and old tasting it was basically inedible. Broccoli wasn’t even cooked. Fish was gray. God. 

I’m sure these places don’t have everybody back but then they shouldn’t be charging full prices. I remember Kona being really good?
My wife and I went to Kona in November and we had a similar experience. It struck us as odd since the time before that ( maybe 4 years ago) it was fantastic. I think we'll stick with breakfast at Kona for now.

I think you all oughta go to Disneyland/world early and often.

Full disclosure:  Just bought some Disney stonk for the first time on Friday.

Deranged Hermit said:
My wife and I went to Kona in November and we had a similar experience. It struck us as odd since the time before that ( maybe 4 years ago) it was fantastic. I think we'll stick with breakfast at Kona for now.
It was so bad I don’t even know if I could go back for breakfast. Frustrating. 

Any idea what lines are like at Universal Studios right now?  Considering going in August and last time we went I swore to get express pass for all future trips.  Considering staying on site at premier hotel like Hard Rock which has express pass included.  If park is empty may not need to buy express pass and can save money on hotel.

Any idea what lines are like at Universal Studios right now?  Considering going in August and last time we went I swore to get express pass for all future trips.  Considering staying on site at premier hotel like Hard Rock which has express pass included.  If park is empty may not need to buy express pass and can save money on hotel.
you'll never get a "no" from me on the Express Pass. IMO I think it's the best thing going. We normally go in July and/or August and it makes the trip so much easier. 

As for crowds, its tough to forecast but from my reports UO has been maxing out often, mainly b/c they were slightly more lax on mask guidelines vs WDW and had more of their normal park experience open. Plus, UO were selling annual passes right away, so locals were going there more often. Now that a lot of those guidelines have been relaxed overall, you may see more guests spread out between the parks. But overall, I expect summer to be busy regardless b/c people are hungry to travel. 

The Hard Rock is a great hotel and having the EP as a perk makes it a no brainer for me. 

Was lucky to be online at the right time last night. There was an article written 1 hour before I saw it that said Disney went to 120 days for reservations at Disneyland. Was able to snag the reservations we wanted for our August trip :pickle:

There are reports that Disney may be re-implementing the fast pass+ system at the end of June. With DW moving pretty quickly to fill capacity, that makes a lot of sense. Either going to have to do that or implement a different system. 

My sister in law got back from Universal just this past Monday. Said the lines were great. They even got to ride on a new attraction that hasn't officially opened yet (Jurassic Park i think?).

There are reports that Disney may be re-implementing the fast pass+ system at the end of June. With DW moving pretty quickly to fill capacity, that makes a lot of sense. Either going to have to do that or implement a different system. 
From your lips to God's ears. I'm hoping that is the case since I'm going in September. 

Got back from our long weekend last week. Forgot to update on some of the restaurants. 

Chef Mickey - we went ok the first night it was back open. Somehow my wife pulled the reservations. It was hilarious seeing all the suits walking around and the bloggers all there checking in and writing on Twitter. Saw one blogger tapping away and saw their picture updates as they went along. Dumb. 

Anyways, the food was......not bad? Shockingly good for chef Mickey and way way way better than Kona somehow (I would have given the at 50-1 odds before the trip). They cook everything where the buffet station was and bring it to your table, as much as you can eat. The salmon was miles better than Kona’s brick of a fish the day before. The characters danced behind your table, 6 feet away. It was fine! The kid loved it and I didn’t hate the food. 

Olivia’s Cafe - at the key west resort. The salmon was easily the best fish dinner I’ve ever had at Disney, couldn’t believe it was a Disney restaurant. Their fish is usually a dumpster fire. Absolutely beautifully cooked. I’d go back for sure and have that dish again. 

Topolino’s - another character thing, at the new riviera resort. I had the hangar steak and it was amazing. One of the 10 best steaks I’ve ever had. Still dreaming of it. Cool place, the kitchen is right there in the open for you to watch so I enjoyed that. The riviera is so beautiful they almost got me to commit to the DVC...but not quite. My wife loved her quiche and sour cream waffle. Definitely definitely book this place if you can. Best restaurant on property other than the fancy pants grand Floridian joint (can’t think of its name) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Got back from our king weekend last week. Forgot to update on some of the restaurants. 

Chef Mickey - we went ok the first night it was back open. Somehow my wife pulled the reservations. It was hilarious seeing all the suits walking around and the bloggers all there checking in and writing on Twitter. Saw one blogger tapping away and saw their picture updates as they went along. Dumb. 

Anyways, the food was......not bad? Shockingly good for chef Mickey and way way way better than Kona somehow (I would have given the at 50-1 odds before the trip). They cook everything where the buffet station was and bring it to your table, as much as you can eat. The salmon was miles better than Kona’s brick of a fish the day before. The characters danced behind your table, 6 feet away. It was fine! The kid loved it and I didn’t hate the food. 

Olivia’s Cafe - at the key west resort. The salmon was easily the best fish dinner I’ve ever had at Disney. Still thinking about it. Absolutely beautifully cooked. I’d go back for sure and have that dish again. 

Topolino’s - another character thing, at the new riviera resort. I had the hangar steak and it was amazing. One of the 10 best steaks I’ve ever had. Still dreaming of it. Cool place, the kitchen is right there in the open for you to watch so I enjoyed that. The riviera is so beautiful they almost got me to commit to the DVC...but not quite. My wife loved her quiche and sour cream waffle. Definitely definitely book this place if you can. Best restaurant on property other than the fancy pants grand Floridian joint (can’t think of its name) 

With my kids older I thankfully can still avoid Chef Mickeys - happy to hear you had a good experience as it was pretty meh the last two times we went.

We love Olivia’s - quiet spot and good food.  Did you get the fritters?

We went in April and the lines were often 30 minutes plus, nothing terrible.  But the Express pass made the trip.  We got off and right back on the Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit multiple times.  We waited about 45 minutes for the Hagrid ride.  

I wonder if they'll make it so the express pass can be used for Hagrid and you have to wait in line for Velocicoaster.

In any event:  Get the Express pass.  Walked right onto just about every ride.  Worth every penny.

With my kids older I thankfully can still avoid Chef Mickeys - happy to hear you had a good experience as it was pretty meh the last two times we went.

We love Olivia’s - quiet spot and good food.  Did you get the fritters?
Sure did. They were great. And the crab cakes. Even my kid’s chicken tenders were homemade and not the typical Disney ones. 

As an owner at Old Key West, I second Olivias. Although I prefer not to let that out b/c part of the charm is that b/c it is pretty far off the main routes, it is usually just the resort guests there and is pretty quiet overall 

As an owner at Old Key West, I second Olivias. Although I prefer not to let that out b/c part of the charm is that b/c it is pretty far off the main routes, it is usually just the resort guests there and is pretty quiet overall 
Are you on the picture wall at the restaurant lol? I thought that was a super cool touch, made it feel more homey than a lot of their places. 

First time there. It’s wild I’m still discovering new restaurants on property after all this time. We are going back in July so we’ll do this one again for lunch. 
Looks like we’re going to Morimito June 12 per Mrs. O’s request. I regret giving up my Wine Bar George reservation, but what can you do?

Are you on the picture wall at the restaurant lol? I thought that was a super cool touch, made it feel more homey than a lot of their places. 
not yet. I've only eaten there by myself. Truth is we have never stayed there as a family yet. But yes, super cool touch, as is the whole place is just quaint and relaxing.
I would sit out on the rocking chairs and work for a while enjoying the atmosphere. 

Oh yea while we waited a few guests waltzed in and the hostess said I’m so sorry we are on reservation only right now, guess due to covid. My waiter told me later the people staying there are just used to coming in and getting a table typically. 

lol at the fish on Disney property is dumpster fire but I ate it at the buffet and then ordered it for my dish at sit down

lol at the fish on Disney property is dumpster fire but I ate it at the buffet and then ordered it for my dish at sit down
Beef don’t sit well with me and I knew I was getting it at the Riviera. The chicken is even worse on property. Not much left to go to after that. 

Beef don’t sit well with me and I knew I was getting it at the Riviera. The chicken is even worse on property. Not much left to go to after that. 
Im just busting balls Cappy. It just gave me a chuckle

Give me a Turkey Leg and Jack Jack num num cookie and I am a happy camper

Im just busting balls Cappy. It just gave me a chuckle

Give me a Turkey Leg and Jack Jack num num cookie and I am a happy camper
Oh it’s all good. I usually don’t look forward to meals there and am excited for dessert. It was nice to have a few very good meals, especially after Kona got us off to a rough start. 

All this meal talk makes me jealous.  We have 5 kids and I've been trying to get restaurant reservations multiple times a day for a party of 7 at about any place in the parks for our July trip and there's nothing.  I know as we get closer people will cancel and hopefully stuff will open up, but our running joke now is that Biergarten and Chefs de France must be the worst restaurants in the parks, because every day we look, those are the only ones with any availability.  

All this meal talk makes me jealous.  We have 5 kids and I've been trying to get restaurant reservations multiple times a day for a party of 7 at about any place in the parks for our July trip and there's nothing.  I know as we get closer people will cancel and hopefully stuff will open up, but our running joke now is that Biergarten and Chefs de France must be the worst restaurants in the parks, because every day we look, those are the only ones with any availability.  
Lol they’re both in the top tier for me. Chefs de France rules, but kids probably won’t like it. 

Biergarten is good food but you want that at the end of your day. Can’t walk around Epcot with all that sausage in beer in ya. 

Lol they’re both in the top tier for me. Chefs de France rules, but kids probably won’t like it. 
Yeah, I know they're well regarded, but we're not foodies so the menus don't appeal to us as much.  Even though our kids are teenagers, I think most of them would be fine with burgers and chicken tenders at every meal.  Good thing.  

Yeah, I know they're well regarded, but we're not foodies so the menus don't appeal to us as much.  Even though our kids are teenagers, I think most of them would be fine with burgers and chicken tenders at every meal.  Good thing.  
I think your problem is that there I dont believe all the sit down locations are open yet and at the ones that are, they are spacing out reservations/limiting capacity. Just keep checking. A lot should open up by July. 

Resorts are a great place to look for alternatives too. For instance if you cant find anything at Epcot, The Beach Club Resort, Boardwalk resort and Swan & Dolphin are a short walk away. 

There are a few web sites like this one where you put in your desired location and details and they will alert you when the slot opens up. You gotta be quick when you get the text b/c usually there are a bunch of people hounding that table. 

IMO the best fish on property is the Cape May Cafe Seafood buffet. I can mow through buckets of their crab legs. 
Not anymore you can’t. 30 bucks a pound for crab legs. Insanity. 

But we always loved our meal there before covid. 

I think your problem is that there I dont believe all the sit down locations are open yet and at the ones that are, they are spacing out reservations/limiting capacity. Just keep checking. A lot should open up by July. 

Resorts are a great place to look for alternatives too. For instance if you cant find anything at Epcot, The Beach Club Resort, Boardwalk resort and Swan & Dolphin are a short walk away. 

There are a few web sites like this one where you put in your desired location and details and they will alert you when the slot opens up. You gotta be quick when you get the text b/c usually there are a bunch of people hounding that table. 
Yeah, I set up Touring Plans reservation finder but nothing so far.  As you say, hopefully more opens up in restaurants by July.  

Yeah, I set up Touring Plans reservation finder but nothing so far.  As you say, hopefully more opens up in restaurants by July.  
We are planning an adults only Food and Wine trip for early November - I’m hoping ADRs are still scarce so my wife is forced to eat more F&W.   :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread