Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Disney Vacation

22 hours ago, fruity pebbles said:

Still pissed they are getting rid of Magical Express. One of the biggest perks of staying on site IMO. 

My friend, who is management at one of the moderate hotels, said she has a meeting Wednesday and she said the scuttlebutt is that it's about getting rid of the masks.

She can't wait....

• Like 1

In the process of booking my final trip with the kids for January. I get that Disney lost a lot of money during COVID but it feels like I’m being nickel and dime to death. No more Magical Express, no more complimentary magic bands. I’m sure I’ll find other things as I get deeper. Those two alone add a couple hundred to the cost of the trip.

Ok, trip booked to Disneyland part of a larger trip to California at the end of August.  Spending 3 nights at Grand Californian with 2 full park days.  Imagine it will be tough to capture everything but should be fun. 

Anyone have good advice for tackling those parks?  I have used Touringplans website in the past but their info is much more focused on Disney World and after looking at it not sure I have a good idea yet.  Also, will say that website is worth the payment if going to Disney World.     

15 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Ok, trip booked to Disneyland part of a larger trip to California at the end of August.  Spending 3 nights at Grand Californian with 2 full park days.  Imagine it will be tough to capture everything but should be fun. 

Anyone have good advice for tackling those parks?  I have used Touringplans website in the past but their info is much more focused on Disney World and after looking at it not sure I have a good idea yet.  Also, will say that website is worth the payment if going to Disney World.     

I have been there a few times in the past few years and am going in the beginning of August

I have never been there with no fast pass so like you said, it might be tougher. What I have been doing is going on to the Disneyland app multiple times a day to see what the wait times on rides are. That way I can get an idea of what to ride early and what can be done at any time

Radiator Springs racers ALWAYS has a huge line. Like doesnt get less than 60 minutes so if you have a chance to do that right when you get into CA do it. You will also need to be ready at 7 am to book virtual passes for Rise of Resistance and the new WEB Slingers ride. Indiana Jones has a virtual pass as well, but you dont need to be on at 7am for that.

Otherwise, just plan on waiting on some lines and hitting what you MOST want.

We got lucky and somehow booked three days there where 2 of the days are the first two days schools are back in session. Most people dont pull their kids the first week of school so we are hoping that helps curb the amount of people there

OH, and also, get your reservations for which park you want to attend today. You dont want to have tickets and not be able to get in because you didnt make reservations. Grand Californian is awesome (we are staying there also) but you dont want to hang out there for 2 days

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, Osaurus said:

Looks like we’re going to Morimito June 12 per Mrs. O’s request. I regret giving up my Wine Bar George reservation, but what can you do?

The spare ribs I had were uniquely fantastic.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

The spare ribs I had were uniquely fantastic.  

Good to know. I imagine Disney Springs is going to be crazy busy when I’m there Saturday night. 

27 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Good to know. I imagine Disney Springs is going to be crazy busy when I’m there Saturday night. 

We were there in March I think?  I couldn't tell much of a difference then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

I have been there a few times in the past few years and am going in the beginning of August

I have never been there with no fast pass so like you said, it might be tougher. What I have been doing is going on to the Disneyland app multiple times a day to see what the wait times on rides are. That way I can get an idea of what to ride early and what can be done at any time

Radiator Springs racers ALWAYS has a huge line. Like doesnt get less than 60 minutes so if you have a chance to do that right when you get into CA do it. You will also need to be ready at 7 am to book virtual passes for Rise of Resistance and the new WEB Slingers ride. Indiana Jones has a virtual pass as well, but you dont need to be on at 7am for that.

Otherwise, just plan on waiting on some lines and hitting what you MOST want.

We got lucky and somehow booked three days there where 2 of the days are the first two days schools are back in session. Most people dont pull their kids the first week of school so we are hoping that helps curb the amount of people there

OH, and also, get your reservations for which park you want to attend today. You dont want to have tickets and not be able to get in because you didnt make reservations. Grand Californian is awesome (we are staying there also) but you dont want to hang out there for 2 days

Thanks.  My travel agent booked the reservations for parks already as she explained the same thing.  Figure try and do Disneyland first day since we will have more energy for it and it is the larger park.  

Not sure I guite understand this virtual pass thing other than I need to be refreshing my phone at 6:59 am.  

Guess the thing I am most excited about this trip is abilty to just walk the parks.  So much easier then managing disney transportation.  

On 5/31/2021 at 7:51 PM, fruity pebbles said:

In the process of booking my final trip with the kids for January. I get that Disney lost a lot of money during COVID but it feels like I’m being nickel and dime to death. No more Magical Express, no more complimentary magic bands. I’m sure I’ll find other things as I get deeper. Those two alone add a couple hundred to the cost of the trip.

That makes me feel better about waiting to take a trip. I need my Monorail, Magic Express, and Magic Bands.  I'm still mad about the Electrical Parade fwiw.  Get off my lawn.

• Laughing 1

20 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

That makes me feel better about waiting to take a trip. I need my Monorail, Magic Express, and Magic Bands.  I'm still mad about the Electrical Parade fwiw.  Get off my lawn.

Aren't Magic Bands going away permanently some time?  I'm honestly fine with that although it does present a problem with keeping your phone charged.

11 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Aren't Magic Bands going away permanently some time?  I'm honestly fine with that although it does present a problem with keeping your phone charged.

So what I’ve read, is that with NFC, even if your phone powers down with no battery, you are still able to use your phone as your ticket and door key.

The minor annoyance would be having to get your phone out all the time. And if you have kids that don’t have cellphones, you have to put their tickets/accounts on your phone which DOES mean you need to have battery life because you will have to go into your digital wallet, swap profiles, and scan your kid(s) in after scanning yourself in.

32 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

10 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

So what I’ve read, is that with NFC, even if your phone powers down with no battery, you are still able to use your phone as your ticket and door key.

The minor annoyance would be having to get your phone out all the time. And if you have kids that don’t have cellphones, you have to put their tickets/accounts on your phone which DOES mean you need to have battery life because you will have to go into your digital wallet, swap profiles, and scan your kid(s) in after scanning yourself in.

I dont think magic bands are going away forever....giving them away for FREE is. Its a pretty smart merchandising move IMO b/c we have been conditioned to how easy they are, but in the end, they do the same thing our phones and watches do already. But w/o the hassle of dead batteries, and holding your device. So there will be those that dont care and use the phone, and others who prefer and are use to the wristband convince and will pony up the $20 to have it. Soon enough, most people will forget they were ever free in the 1st place

7 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I dont think magic bands are going away forever....giving them away for FREE is. Its a pretty smart merchandising move IMO b/c we have been conditioned to how easy they are, but in the end, they do the same thing our phones and watches do already. But w/o the hassle of dead batteries, and holding your device. So there will be those that dont care and use the phone, and others who prefer and are use to the wristband convince and will pony up the $20 to have it. Soon enough, most people will forget they were ever free in the 1st place

Agreed. And for people who have been there before and are keenly aware that they were free, they already have their free ones they can re-use. Or are obsessive enough to pay whatever Disney wants for new ones with the design they want. For folks who haven’t been there before and so don’t have wristbands, most will have no reason to know that they were previously free so won’t be upset they are paying now anyway.

3 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Are they offering Max Pass?

33 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Agreed. And for people who have been there before and are keenly aware that they were free, they already have their free ones they can re-use. Or are obsessive enough to pay whatever Disney wants for new ones with the design they want. For folks who haven’t been there before and so don’t have wristbands, most will have no reason to know that they were previously free so won’t be upset they are paying now anyway.

Can you still reuse magic bands from prior trips?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PIK95 said:

I'm still mad about the Electrical Parade fwiw.  Get off my lawn.

I think about this every time I’m there at night. My son would love it. I loved it. No idea why they took it away. 

Edited by Capella
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I wouldn't mind paying for them.  Being waterproof is a huge benefit also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Thanks.  My travel agent booked the reservations for parks already as she explained the same thing.  Figure try and do Disneyland first day since we will have more energy for it and it is the larger park.  

Not sure I guite understand this virtual pass thing other than I need to be refreshing my phone at 6:59 am.  

Guess the thing I am most excited about this trip is abilty to just walk the parks.  So much easier then managing disney transportation.  

Virtual queues are really awesome if you ask me. I would be down for an entire virtual que trip. 
because they don’t want people waiting on 3 hour lines, they give you a specific time to come back to the ride when you join the virtual que. the tough part will be getting into the que. a lot of people try at 7 and don’t get in. If that happens, there is another chance at noon. 
so you log into the app, hit join party and it will tell you that your boarding group X. You will then be notified when your group is ready to board. You have an hour time frame. 

On 6/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, AcerFC said:

Virtual queues are really awesome if you ask me. I would be down for an entire virtual que trip. 
because they don’t want people waiting on 3 hour lines, they give you a specific time to come back to the ride when you join the virtual que. the tough part will be getting into the que. a lot of people try at 7 and don’t get in. If that happens, there is another chance at noon. 
so you log into the app, hit join party and it will tell you that your boarding group X. You will then be notified when your group is ready to board. You have an hour time frame. 

I'd like to see them switch the single rider or express lines, so if you are on time for your virtual queue, you get in the short line.  If you're more than 10 but less than 60 minutes late, you can still get in line but then you need to stand in what used to be the main line, with the other late people.

People who watch this stuff more than me have said that the word "standby" has now been added back next to the wait times listed on the MDE app. This could me that Fastpass could be returning to some or all rides, esp given that all of the distancing markers have been removed and they no longer need the FP queues for those longer socially distance friendly lines. Its yet to be confirmed that the FP system will be the same one we had pre-pandemic, but it is at least a minor positive sign. 

19 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Ugh, just saw the new menu. I'll probably just skip it all together. 

Yea really doesn’t seem great. Shrimp casserole? Where the hell are my grilled shrimp!?

• Sad 1

We're going to be spending a day at DHS in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out meal options for a sit down late lunch or dinner. I've been checking pretty frequently online and none of the in-park restaurants have shown any reservations available. Thinking about going out of the park for a meal but we won't have a car with us. I know we could catch a bus or Uber/Lyft to a resort or Disney Springs but wanted to check to see if there are any resorts within walking distance? Also thinking about the Skyliner but I think I remember reading that they aren't air conditioned so it seems like even a short ride in 90 degree temps wouldn't be much fun.

Would appreciate any suggestions. We aren't staying on property if that makes any difference.

After a year of being socially distanced, for the most part, I'm seeing all these photos from Disney....man, my desire to go back has really faded.  The place looks absolutely packed.  Maybe it'll be short lived, but this is the first time in a long time I really go care less about going.  

We got some DVC points we need to use at some point and if we don't sell them we'll probably end up at Aulani.    

It makes me sad though.  :(

Edited by jb1020
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, roarlions said:

We're going to be spending a day at DHS in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out meal options for a sit down late lunch or dinner. I've been checking pretty frequently online and none of the in-park restaurants have shown any reservations available. Thinking about going out of the park for a meal but we won't have a car with us. I know we could catch a bus or Uber/Lyft to a resort or Disney Springs but wanted to check to see if there are any resorts within walking distance? Also thinking about the Skyliner but I think I remember reading that they aren't air conditioned so it seems like even a short ride in 90 degree temps wouldn't be much fun.

Would appreciate any suggestions. We aren't staying on property if that makes any difference.

I don't think there is anything like that within walking distance.  You'd have to hop on a bus which we avoid like the plague.  That said, I don't know the path of skyliner...not been on it yet, so that might be an option?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, roarlions said:

You can walk to the Boardwalk and Beach Club from HS very easily. If you have  a park hopper, you can also walk to Epcot easily. 

Sit down places in HS are tough. We love Sci Fi but the last few times we had reservations and still waited a long time to sit. Ruined the experience a little. Beach Club has Cape May and Beaches and Cream. Boardwalk has an Italian place that I cant recall and ESPN zone IIRC

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I don't think there is anything like that within walking distance.  You'd have to hop on a bus which we avoid like the plague.  That said, I don't know the path of skyliner...not been on it yet, so that might be an option?

Thanks. The Skyliner can get us to Caribbean Beach resort and the Epcot resorts. One restaurant that seems to be available for lunch on a consistent basis is Ale and Compass.

4 minutes ago, roarlions said:

Thanks. The Skyliner can get us to Caribbean Beach resort and the Epcot resorts. One restaurant that seems to be available for lunch on a consistent basis is Ale and Compass.

Im not sure that many places are offering reservations right now. I could be 100% wrong on that. Usually something will pop up. If nothing does, it might be turned off

• Like 1

I saw the same thing glvsav referenced earlier about the word "standby" being added to wait time verbiage yesterday.  It is showing on my MDE app.  We are going in a month, and I just wish I knew whether there was any real possibility they might be back that soon.  

I'm debating what to do about Magic Bands.  The only trip my family has taken since MBs were introduced was in 2017.  Since we were staying off-property, we didn't really see the point of paying for them, so we didn't get them.  For our trip this year, my kids seem to want to get them.  So, when I ordered tickets, I just got digital tickets, not the physical ticket cards, thinking we'd order Magic Bands.  Well, first of all, the selection of Magic Bands on the Shop Disney website is atrocious.  I've looked at Amazon and Ebay as well.  The cheapest it looks like I can get them is about $20 apiece, so, for our family, I'd be shelling out  $140 for something that really aren't necessary; they would just serve as our ticketed entry at this point.  However, if fast passes are coming back, I'd be more willing to pony up to have them for that.  I know the Magic Mobile is an option as well, but I don't want to do one more thing to drain my phone battery during a long day at the parks.  

4 hours ago, Capella said:

Yea really doesn’t seem great. Shrimp casserole? Where the hell are my grilled shrimp!?

That was my biggest problem. I could live with the other stuff: rice instead of noodles, lower quality meat, no bread (never ate it anyway) but the shrimp is an act of war.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

After a year of being socially distanced, for the most part, I'm seeing all these photos from Disney....man, my desire to go back has really faded.  The place looks absolutely packed.  Maybe it'll be short lived, but this is the first time in a long time I really go care less about going.  

We got some DVC points we need to use at some point and if we don't sell them we'll probably end up at Aulani.    

It makes me sad though.  :(

If you're worried about crowds,  absolutely do not go right now. It's freaking nuts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deranged Hermit said:

If you're worried about crowds,  absolutely do not go right now. It's freaking nuts.

Yup. Will be at Disney Springs tomorrow night. I tried to book a hotel room at most of our regular haunts from St. Augustine to Melbourne and nada. Managed to get a room at the Hilton across from Disney Springs. I’m gonna try to drink a lot before Morimoto dinner at 6:15.

2 hours ago, roarlions said:

you have a bunch of options outside HS: 

Boat over to the Boardwalk, Big River Grill and Trattoria al Forna are both open (right now ESPN is not)
On the other side of the lake is the Beach Club and you can try Beaches and Cream. Its not a huge menu but its like an old style soda shop and they just expanded it. Get there by boat too. 
Boat to Swan & Dolphin: The Garden Grove is a nice casual location that does not get very busy. If you want higher end, Shula's or Todd English's BlueZoo, but both are expensive.  

Dont worry about the skyliner, the short ride is well ventilated. Hope on and go right to the Riviera and do Topolino's Terrace. Great brand new location. 

I would not go over to Epcot b/c you would be technically park hopping ands its a pain to go through security 2x just for a meal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disney Springs is packed full. I looked at noon on the Disney app for reservations for dinner in Disney Springs. There were a total of 4 starting at 9:00. Lol. Just checked again and there are 6 starting at 9:10.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:40 AM, glvsav37 said:

People who watch this stuff more than me have said that the word "standby" has now been added back next to the wait times listed on the MDE app. This could me that Fastpass could be returning to some or all rides, esp given that all of the distancing markers have been removed and they no longer need the FP queues for those longer socially distance friendly lines. Its yet to be confirmed that the FP system will be the same one we had pre-pandemic, but it is at least a minor positive sign. 

I read an article recently speculating the FP system will be monetized when it returns.  Sounds like they will be going to a similar system that Universal does where you have to pay an additional fee for FP.

14 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I read an article recently speculating the FP system will be monetized when it returns.  Sounds like they will be going to a similar system that Universal does where you have to pay an additional fee for FP.

thats what everyone is watching/guessing/fearing/hoping/etc.

bottom line, the new management has shown there is very little they wont do for a dollar, including up-charging for downgraded experiences. And as someone who does love the UO system, IMO WDW is way too big of a property to do the same and if you pick only certain deluxe resorts to get FP's as perks (like UO does) you might see a riot. 

If FPs were to be "monetized" I have always lobbied for a tired system where you would get +1 FP the higher the category you book. I could also see an option to buy an unlimited or enhanced FP for a set fee. But I can't see them ever taking away the free FP. 

FPs have always been a great "make good" for the parks b/c guest to guest, no one knows how many FPs the guy standing next to you has/had. Its been an "invisible perk" unlike the UO system the only way to be in the express line is to be a deluxe guest or pay the upgrade. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

thats what everyone is watching/guessing/fearing/hoping/etc.

bottom line, the new management has shown there is very little they wont do for a dollar, including up-charging for downgraded experiences. And as someone who does love the UO system, IMO WDW is way too big of a property to do the same and if you pick only certain deluxe resorts to get FP's as perks (like UO does) you might see a riot. 

If FPs were to be "monetized" I have always lobbied for a tired system where you would get +1 FP the higher the category you book. I could also see an option to buy an unlimited or enhanced FP for a set fee. But I can't see them ever taking away the free FP. 

FPs have always been a great "make good" for the parks b/c guest to guest, no one knows how many FPs the guy standing next to you has/had. Its been an "invisible perk" unlike the UO system the only way to be in the express line is to be a deluxe guest or pay the upgrade. 

I haven’t been to Disney since I was in high school. We have a trip planned for this November. If I get there and the park is jam packed and the only folks with FPs are in Deluxe resorts I can guarantee it will be the last time I ever go to Disney. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

I haven’t been to Disney since I was in high school. We have a trip planned for this November. If I get there and the park is jam packed and the only folks with FPs are in Deluxe resorts I can guarantee it will be the last time I ever go to Disney. 

This sounds awful to type, but the true fact of the matter is that Disney doesn’t care about you (not you per se, your type of trip). They want the people who will be coming back year after year and they know those people are loyal to the brand and to staying on site at expensive places. With Disney taking so much away from staying on site, this might be an incentive for people to pay more. I am not so sure it will happen. If anything, I can see them going to something like what Disneyland has. Which is worth every single penny and has me scratching my head every time we go how not everyone does it. 

31 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

This sounds awful to type, but the true fact of the matter is that Disney doesn’t care about you (not you per se, your type of trip). They want the people who will be coming back year after year and they know those people are loyal to the brand and to staying on site at expensive places. With Disney taking so much away from staying on site, this might be an incentive for people to pay more. I am not so sure it will happen. If anything, I can see them going to something like what Disneyland has. Which is worth every single penny and has me scratching my head every time we go how not everyone does it. 

If what I’m reading on the TouringPlans forums (bunch of hardcore Disney folks) is correct, I think Disney’s assessment may be way off if the above is what they truly think. 

People that go a lot are more likely to splurge and stay at a luxury resort, but if they’re going multiple times a year, there’s no way they’re staying at a luxury resort every time. And if the only benefit to staying onsite at a lower tier hotel is getting into the park 30 minutes early, most of those folks are going to find much cheaper places to stay off site. And once they stay off site, they’re going to eat a lot more meals off site as well.

sorry @AcerFC, I'm siding with @GroveDieselhere. 

Disney prefers the every 3-4 year guests over the hardcore, repeat visitors. We know too much, we know when things change (Ohana NoodleGate), we know when prices go up and service goes down. But most of all, we dont but nearly the amount of gifts and merch that the casual guest does. We pack our own water b/c we know it costs $6 in the park. 

Disney would prefer us fresh and stupid (this is why there are fastpasses for Philharmagic) rather the taking up space and playing the system.

16 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

They should do a blockchain system so they know everyone who has ever rode it and when.  Then, let the n00bs get the FP.  I still haven't ridden the mine train because the last few times I went I refused to wait 80min, and it wasn't a FP option.

"blockchain" - barf

On 6/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, Shaft41 said:

I saw the same thing glvsav referenced earlier about the word "standby" being added to wait time verbiage yesterday.  It is showing on my MDE app.  We are going in a month, and I just wish I knew whether there was any real possibility they might be back that soon.  

I'm debating what to do about Magic Bands.  The only trip my family has taken since MBs were introduced was in 2017.  Since we were staying off-property, we didn't really see the point of paying for them, so we didn't get them.  For our trip this year, my kids seem to want to get them.  So, when I ordered tickets, I just got digital tickets, not the physical ticket cards, thinking we'd order Magic Bands.  Well, first of all, the selection of Magic Bands on the Shop Disney website is atrocious.  I've looked at Amazon and Ebay as well.  The cheapest it looks like I can get them is about $20 apiece, so, for our family, I'd be shelling out  $140 for something that really aren't necessary; they would just serve as our ticketed entry at this point.  However, if fast passes are coming back, I'd be more willing to pony up to have them for that.  I know the Magic Mobile is an option as well, but I don't want to do one more thing to drain my phone battery during a long day at the parks.  

Disney reaction.

• Laughing 1