What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New England and Denver... discuss "the streak" (1 Viewer)

SSOG

Okay, New England has won 10 straight playoff games. Many people base their entire arguement for a New England victory on this one tidbit of information. To those people, I ask the following question...Denver has won 10 straight home games. Denver has won 10 straight December/January home games. Denver has won 8 straight games played on Saturday. So why is New England's streak relevant, and Denver's not? Yes, this is a playoff game, but it's also a Denver January home game played on Saturday. Yes, New England ratchets up its intensity in the playoffs, but Denver ratchets up ITS intensity at home, and on Saturday. So why does New England's streak trump Denver's? Why is New England's streak "proof" that they're going to win, and not Denver's?This thread isn't a place for all of you rational Patriot fans who have made arguements based on your team's recent accomplishments or the relative health of your squad. This thread is a place for all of those Streak-thumpers to explain to me why their streak trumps mine. If you think that Denver is a better team, but New England is more likely to win anyway, please tell me why, because I don't get it.

Also wanted to add... no team has EVER won 11 straight playoff games, but PLENTY of teams have won 11 straight home games (including Denver, who ran its home winning streak to over 20 in the superbowl years). As a result, from a historical perspective at least, Denver's far more likely to keep their streak alive than New England. See, clearly all the streaks favor the Broncos here.

Denver is being way overlooked. All I hear on the radio is talks about an Indy and NE rematch. If I were a betting man, my money would be on Denver.

But they, the Broncos, aren`t being overlooked were it counts most. The N E lockerroom. The Pats, and their fans know this will be a dog fight on Sat nite. I think it will come down to QB play. IMO Pats 31-24 :thumbup:

All streaks are meaningless. When the game starts saturday evening, the score will be 0-0. Whoever won against whoever else last week, last month, last year etc. doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Whoever scores more points saturday is the only stat that matters.

All streaks are meaningless. When the game starts saturday evening, the score will be 0-0. Whoever won against whoever else last week, last month, last year etc. doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Whoever scores more points saturday is the only stat that matters.
You obviously didn't read the thread's subheading.

I have only bet on the Patriots twice and they have won 2 straight. I'm betting on them this week too_Once that streak gets up to 8-0, I'll be a Brady believer too.

All streaks are meaningless.  When the game starts saturday evening, the score will be 0-0.  Whoever won against whoever else last week, last month, last year etc. doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  Whoever scores more points saturday is the only stat that matters.
You obviously didn't read the thread's subheading.
LOL! Good point. I'm a Bronco fan like you SSOG, it's hard not to let my rationality show through.

Denver has won 10 straight home games. Denver has won 10 straight December/January home games. Denver has won 8 straight games played on Saturday. So why is New England's streak relevant, and Denver's not? Yes, this is a playoff game, but it's also a Denver January home game played on Saturday. Yes, New England ratchets up its intensity in the playoffs, but Denver ratchets up ITS intensity at home, and on Saturday. So why does New England's streak trump Denver's? Why is New England's streak "proof" that they're going to win, and not Denver's?
Because there is less skill involved in consistently winning games at home than there is in consistently winning games in the playoffs. It's not much data, but the Patriots are 2-0 in postseason games on the road, and 5-0 vs. teams that they played in the regular season, 2-0 against teams that beat them in the regular season, and 1-0 on the road vs. teams that have already beaten the Patriots during that year's regular season. I don't have any Saturday game data.

Also wanted to add... no team has EVER won 11 straight playoff games, but PLENTY of teams have won 11 straight home games (including Denver, who ran its home winning streak to over 20 in the superbowl years). As a result, from a historical perspective at least, Denver's far more likely to keep their streak alive than New England. See, clearly all the streaks favor the Broncos here.
Or you could look at it as, winning 10 straight home games isn't as hard as winning ten straight playoff games. As for the second half of this post, I'm sure you're smart enough not to use the gambler's fallacy as a serious argument.

If you can't win the argument in one thread, just start another. :D Sorry, but there just seem to be so many of these threads going on.All Streaks were made to be broken...the Patriots had a lot of streaks end last year and this...eventually, the playoff one will probably end as well. Likewise, someone will beat the Broncos at home. All good things come to an end.As a Patriots fan, I do not view the Broncos as a push over by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Broncos and the Pats are pretty much evenly matched. I think the Broncos have the advantage being at home...hence the home game streak record. The Broncos are rested and primed to win this game...everything should be in there favor. The Bronco fans should feel good right now.But the game will be played on the grid iron and not on paper...by two good teams...and it will not be a blow out. You can't fault Patriot fans for rallying behind there team, the same way you are rallying behind the Broncos. Three out of four teams won on the road this past weekend...so home field is not a guarantee win. Sorry if you feel the Patriots fans are not respecting the home field streak. I am sure the Patriots are...and they are well aware that they are 1-3 against the Broncos.As for which streak was harder, I think the Patriots winning 10 playoff games in a row. Some were on the road, as well, so they can win away from New England.SSOG, it is going to be a great team...I wish you and your team all the best. At the end of the night, win or lose, a great team will be going on to the AFC Championship game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could look at it as, winning 10 straight home games isn't as hard as winning ten straight playoff games.

As for the second half of this post, I'm sure you're smart enough not to use the gambler's fallacy as a serious argument.
Bingo.BF's right as usual.

Or you could look at it as, winning 10 straight home games isn't as hard as winning ten straight playoff games. 

As for the second half of this post, I'm sure you're smart enough not to use the gambler's fallacy as a serious argument.
Bingo.BF's right as usual.
:joe::whinytool:

You forgot the 'big streak', Mike Shanahans inability to win a playoff game without John Elway. Streaks aside, I see a Pats 12 win. 27-15, on 5 Jason Elam Field goals. Pats have more viable weapons than anybody else the Donkeys played, and Bradys ability to find the open guy will carve through the attacking defense of Larry Coyer. It's a good D when you've only got to cover Antonio Gates and stop LT, or simply stop LJ, but when you've got a host of options, AND a QB to find the open one (which there always is in the attack), you cannot stop them.

You forgot the 'big streak', Mike Shanahans inability to win a playoff game without John Elway.

Streaks aside, I see a Pats 12 win. 27-15, on 5 Jason Elam Field goals. Pats have more viable weapons than anybody else the Donkeys played, and Bradys ability to find the open guy will carve through the attacking defense of Larry Coyer. It's a good D when you've only got to cover Antonio Gates and stop LT, or simply stop LJ, but when you've got a host of options, AND a QB to find the open one (which there always is in the attack), you cannot stop them.
It's been at least 3 years (24 games) since Denver didn't score a TD in a home game. I didn't feel like going back any farther.

You forgot the 'big streak', Mike Shanahans inability to win a playoff game without John Elway.

Streaks aside, I see a Pats 12 win. 27-15, on 5 Jason Elam Field goals. Pats have more viable weapons than anybody else the Donkeys played, and Bradys ability to find the open guy will carve through the attacking defense of Larry Coyer. It's a good D when you've only got to cover Antonio Gates and stop LT, or simply stop LJ, but when you've got a host of options, AND a QB to find the open one (which there always is in the attack), you cannot stop them.
It's been at least 3 years (24 games) since Denver didn't score a TD in a home game. I didn't feel like going back any farther.
Well, I guess more than the home win streak is broken in 52 hours. :yes:

I guarantee that the Patriots will lose a playoff game.But I also guarantee the Broncos will lose a home game.

I don't think anybody is saying the Patriots will win just because they've won 10 straight playoff games. I think a much stronger argument is the fact that the Patriots appear to be peaking at just the right time and have a great deal of playoff experience and veteran leadership. You could argue that last week the Patriots completely spanked a very good football team while the Broncos haven't played a meaningful game in a few weeks. It ought to be a dogfight and it ought to be a hell of a game to watch, but when push comes to shove I believe that the Patriots will come out on top. How many playoff wins has Jake Plummer lead his team to?

I don't think anybody is saying the Patriots will win just because they've won 10 straight playoff games. I think a much stronger argument is the fact that the Patriots appear to be peaking at just the right time and have a great deal of playoff experience and veteran leadership. You could argue that last week the Patriots completely spanked a very good football team while the Broncos haven't played a meaningful game in a few weeks. It ought to be a dogfight and it ought to be a hell of a game to watch, but when push comes to shove I believe that the Patriots will come out on top. How many playoff wins has Jake Plummer lead his team to?
one. it was the first playoff win for his franchise in 46 years. That's something, right?

you mean a streak of three games? Vs eventual SB champ Baltimore, and in Indy twice? yeah, that's significant.Edit to add - SD and KC are much more balanced than NE is offensively. KC ranked 5th overall in rush O, 3rd in pass O. SD ranked 6th in rush O, and 11th in pass O. NE is ranked 30th in rush O, 2nd in pass O. (all on a per carry and per attempt basis)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't win the argument in one thread, just start another. :D Sorry, but there just seem to be so many of these threads going on.

All Streaks were made to be broken...the Patriots had a lot of streaks end last year and this...eventually, the playoff one will probably end as well. Likewise, someone will beat the Broncos at home. All good things come to an end.

As a Patriots fan, I do not view the Broncos as a push over by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Broncos and the Pats are pretty much evenly matched. I think the Broncos have the advantage being at home...hence the home game streak record. The Broncos are rested and primed to win this game...everything should be in there favor. The Bronco fans should feel good right now.

But the game will be played on the grid iron and not on paper...by two good teams...and it will not be a blow out. You can't fault Patriot fans for rallying behind there team, the same way you are rallying behind the Broncos. Three out of four teams won on the road this past weekend...so home field is not a guarantee win. Sorry if you feel the Patriots fans are not respecting the home field streak. I am sure the Patriots are...and they are well aware that they are 1-3 against the Broncos.

As for which streak was harder, I think the Patriots winning 10 playoff games in a row. Some were on the road, as well, so they can win away from New England.

SSOG, it is going to be a great team...I wish you and your team all the best. At the end of the night, win or lose, a great team will be going on to the AFC Championship game.
:goodposting: I am a Broncos fan and have to agree with everything this Patriots fan has said. SSOG did say that rational fans have to stay out though. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who ignored the subtitle.

Well, there are two other streaks that no one else is talking about:In playoff games when Jake Plummer's team DOES NOT allow 40 points, he's 1-0. In playoff games when Jake Plummer's team DOES allow 40 points, he's 0-3.So obviously, if Denver does not allow New England to score 40 points they will win.

Well, there are two other streaks that no one else is talking about:

In playoff games when Jake Plummer's team DOES NOT allow 40 points, he's 1-0. In playoff games when Jake Plummer's team DOES allow 40 points, he's 0-3.

So obviously, if Denver does not allow New England to score 40 points they will win.
There's a streak you can hang your hat on.

Streaks never end. That is why I know it's a lie that Tampa bay has ever won a game. Also, I know that Atlanta did not go into Green Bay and win a playoff game there.

It's going to be pretty interesting to read the whining by the fans of the losing team in this game.
Not really, I'm already tired of reading the whining of New England fans. lol! Sorry, I had to do it.

GUYS BREAKING NEWS.I have it on good authority that Rod Smith is undefeated at home when he hasn't changed his socks in more than a week. Apparently, he's been wearing the current pair since August. He even sleeps in them.You heard it here first- the Patriots are doomed.

I have it on good authority that Rod Smith is undefeated at home when he hasn't changed his socks in more than a week. Apparently, he's been wearing the current pair since August. He even sleeps in them.
Is it because he's gotten too old to bend over and get 'em off? Or maybe because he can't hold onto them long enough to get 'em off?

Okay, New England has won 10 straight playoff games. Many people base their entire arguement for a New England victory on this one tidbit of information. To those people, I ask the following question...

Denver has won 10 straight home games. Denver has won 10 straight December/January home games. Denver has won 8 straight games played on Saturday. So why is New England's streak relevant, and Denver's not? Yes, this is a playoff game, but it's also a Denver January home game played on Saturday. Yes, New England ratchets up its intensity in the playoffs, but Denver ratchets up ITS intensity at home, and on Saturday. So why does New England's streak trump Denver's? Why is New England's streak "proof" that they're going to win, and not Denver's?

This thread isn't a place for all of you rational Patriot fans who have made arguements based on your team's recent accomplishments or the relative health of your squad. This thread is a place for all of those Streak-thumpers to explain to me why their streak trumps mine. If you think that Denver is a better team, but New England is more likely to win anyway, please tell me why, because I don't get it.
Chalk up another huge win for Saturday playoff game streaks.

This is the only Broncos-Pats post I'm going to make for the entire week, because not much needs to be said. Both teams were very good, and neither team should feel ashamed because of this game.That said, with all due respect to history, the better team usually wins in football. And this season, Denver has been the better team. You can point to New England's injuries all you want, you can point to their playoff streak, but all that matters is that the better team THIS SEASON usually wins. New England's place in history is secure, but the fact remains that they were still only the third or fourth best team in the AFC this year. Their fans shouldn't be disappointed, since they accounted very well of themselves against one of the top 2 teams in the entire NFL. They were a great team... but not the best team.Also, score this as a win for everyone who asserts that how a team performs during the regular season usually has SOME bearing on how the perform in the postseason. Denver finished 2nd in the NFL in turnover differential, only losing the turnover battle once all season. Denver finished 8-0 at home, winning by an average of two TDs. NE came in 4-6 against winning teams, and Denver was 7-3. All of those statistics were very significant this week.Congratulations to New England fans for all of your teams success, and best of luck next season. I certainly look forward to the rematch next year, and to seeing you again in the postseason.

Users who are viewing this thread