What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (2 Viewers)

I’ve casually browsed this thread a few times but never posted until now. I’ve been trying to sell a house for a while and now have a potential opportunity to lease or lease option. I’m looking for advice on the merits of this alternative given the state of my local real estate market.

The interested party contacted me a few weeks ago. It’s a family relocating from another state. They own a home but say it’s impossible to sell there right now so they want to lease my home now with the idea of buying my home or another area home in 1-2 years.

After I first showed them the home back in mid June I was hesitant. I had a low-ball offer going south that I was trying to resurrect following a failed buyer inspection gambit plus a couple of other potential buyers had recently viewed the home multiple times. Prime buying season was in full force. I really wanted to just sell it and it was prime selling season. So after serious consideration I declined starting any negotiations. I told them my perspective would be different if showings were slow or it was mid August or later. I asked them to keep my number in case whatever they did later didn’t pan out.

This week they called. They haven’t signed a lease yet. They couldn’t come to terms with anyone that made their short list. I’ve got no hot prospects pending; just first time showings happening at a steady 1 to 4 per week. They wanted to see if I’d reconsider.

Here’s some background on my situation. I moved last fall and this home is sitting vacant. The local market is a definite buyers market. I’m in a very desirable area with great commute times and the best area schools. There are many area homes built in the past 10 years up for sale but not a lot in my price range. Most are larger and priced $100-250k more. My biggest price range competition is nearby new construction. I’m priced under builder base prices on much less desirable lots.

Sale rates and prices are not much below 2005 market levels. There’s just a lot of inventory available. The local area hasn’t had the spectacular appreciation over the last 5-10 years seen in other markets so I’m guessing prices aren’t going to plummet either.

The guy looking to lease is VP of a condo developer. He is not changing jobs. He has money tied up until completion of one or more development projects. His family will be living here and he will be commuting. His teenage kid got recruited to play for a sport team nearby. That is their reason for moving. The story seems weird so I’m leery if they have good intentions. Given his construction/real estate experience I’m assuming I am dealing with an expert. This guy is building 20 story condo’s selling for $750K a unit. Why is he so cash strapped that he needs a lease option? I’m concerned I’m being setup for failure to pay, bankruptcy, eviction, etc.

Prime selling season is soon ending for the year and I’m thinking if I can be cash flow neutral net of the mortgage/HELOC, taxes, insurance, and depreciation, it might be a good strategy to lease for a year or two.

I’m concerned that structuring a win/win lease option could be complicated. My impression is that they are hoping to pay a competitive lease rate and get the option to buy at my current asking price included for no additional premium. I’m thinking something like an upfront 3-5% option premium in lieu of a security deposit. Then they may treat the home like it’s their own and if there is little or no price appreciation they still may be inclined to actually buy the house.

Looking for any comments, opinions, tips. Thanks.

I’ve casually browsed this thread a few times but never posted until now. I’ve been trying to sell a house for a while and now have a potential opportunity to lease or lease option. I’m looking for advice on the merits of this alternative given the state of my local real estate market.

The interested party contacted me a few weeks ago. It’s a family relocating from another state. They own a home but say it’s impossible to sell there right now so they want to lease my home now with the idea of buying my home or another area home in 1-2 years.

After I first showed them the home back in mid June I was hesitant. I had a low-ball offer going south that I was trying to resurrect following a failed buyer inspection gambit plus a couple of other potential buyers had recently viewed the home multiple times. Prime buying season was in full force. I really wanted to just sell it and it was prime selling season. So after serious consideration I declined starting any negotiations. I told them my perspective would be different if showings were slow or it was mid August or later. I asked them to keep my number in case whatever they did later didn’t pan out.

This week they called. They haven’t signed a lease yet. They couldn’t come to terms with anyone that made their short list. I’ve got no hot prospects pending; just first time showings happening at a steady 1 to 4 per week. They wanted to see if I’d reconsider.

Here’s some background on my situation. I moved last fall and this home is sitting vacant. The local market is a definite buyers market. I’m in a very desirable area with great commute times and the best area schools. There are many area homes built in the past 10 years up for sale but not a lot in my price range. Most are larger and priced $100-250k more. My biggest price range competition is nearby new construction. I’m priced under builder base prices on much less desirable lots.

Sale rates and prices are not much below 2005 market levels. There’s just a lot of inventory available. The local area hasn’t had the spectacular appreciation over the last 5-10 years seen in other markets so I’m guessing prices aren’t going to plummet either.

The guy looking to lease is VP of a condo developer. He is not changing jobs. He has money tied up until completion of one or more development projects. His family will be living here and he will be commuting. His teenage kid got recruited to play for a sport team nearby. That is their reason for moving. The story seems weird so I’m leery if they have good intentions. Given his construction/real estate experience I’m assuming I am dealing with an expert. This guy is building 20 story condo’s selling for $750K a unit. Why is he so cash strapped that he needs a lease option? I’m concerned I’m being setup for failure to pay, bankruptcy, eviction, etc.

Prime selling season is soon ending for the year and I’m thinking if I can be cash flow neutral net of the mortgage/HELOC, taxes, insurance, and depreciation, it might be a good strategy to lease for a year or two.

I’m concerned that structuring a win/win lease option could be complicated. My impression is that they are hoping to pay a competitive lease rate and get the option to buy at my current asking price included for no additional premium. I’m thinking something like an upfront 3-5% option premium in lieu of a security deposit. Then they may treat the home like it’s their own and if there is little or no price appreciation they still may be inclined to actually buy the house.

Really not enough information to offer advice, but I will add some comments.In my state options aren't valid unless they're recorded at the court house. Be sure to use a real estate attorney. You need to understand your state's eviction laws/proceedings. Obviously if you set the price at today's market rate, you're putting them in the driver's seat. They can sit back and make this a winner for them regardless of what the market does. A neutral or negetive cash flow situation is not good in a stagnant market.

Knowing your location (at least state) helps a lot.Your last statement is standard leasing - it is a Non-Refundable Option Consideration, or NROC. ("En-Rock"). 3-5% down - not refundable - to move in. If / when they buy, the NROC is applied to the purchase price.

The purchase option should build in appreciation - pick a % increase and go with it, or settle for an appraisal.

Best option for you is to put in the going % appreciation (or higher - you're in the driver's seat and leases are less common). So if your house is worth $500K today, 10% appreciation is $550K so they can buy the house for $550K any time within the next 12 months. Then add 1% a month thereafter.

Also - add in a clause that allows you to get an appraisal if you wish and that they have to pay you the appraisal price (if higher than the 10% rule above). That covers you if the market heats up. This will tell you if the buyer is really savvy. If he is, he won't allow this. That's ok - take 10% and run - but at least you now know he's a smart guy in real estate AND you get something to use in negotiation (i.e. "I'll drop that clause if you put down 5% instead of 4%).

BTW - when I say add in - have the attorney do it.

Good luck, and add your locale next time. :)

Really not enough information to offer advice, but I will add some comments.

In my state options aren't valid unless they're recorded at the court house. Be sure to use a real estate attorney. You need to understand your state's eviction laws/proceedings. Obviously if you set the price at today's market rate, you're putting them in the driver's seat. They can sit back and make this a winner for them regardless of what the market does. A neutral or negetive cash flow situation is not good in a stagnant market.
Knowing your location (at least state) helps a lot.

Your last statement is standard leasing - it is a Non-Refundable Option Consideration, or NROC. ("En-Rock"). 3-5% down - not refundable - to move in. If / when they buy, the NROC is applied to the purchase price.

The purchase option should build in appreciation - pick a % increase and go with it, or settle for an appraisal.

Best option for you is to put in the going % appreciation (or higher - you're in the driver's seat and leases are less common). So if your house is worth $500K today, 10% appreciation is $550K so they can buy the house for $550K any time within the next 12 months. Then add 1% a month thereafter.

Also - add in a clause that allows you to get an appraisal if you wish and that they have to pay you the appraisal price (if higher than the 10% rule above). That covers you if the market heats up. This will tell you if the buyer is really savvy. If he is, he won't allow this. That's ok - take 10% and run - but at least you now know he's a smart guy in real estate AND you get something to use in negotiation (i.e. "I'll drop that clause if you put down 5% instead of 4%).

Thanks for both your responses. The property is in the Detroit suburbs. Recent historical appreciation rates are no where near 10%, more like 0-5%. In the past year probably actually slightly negative.How common are strike prices determined by appraisals in lease option deals? Seems likely that the buyer wouldn't trust the objectivity if the seller obtains the appraisal. Is there a standard practice to obtain an true independent appraisal or do real estate attorneys have contract terms that address that?

Really not enough information to offer advice, but I will add some comments.

In my state options aren't valid unless they're recorded at the court house. Be sure to use a real estate attorney. You need to understand your state's eviction laws/proceedings. Obviously if you set the price at today's market rate, you're putting them in the driver's seat. They can sit back and make this a winner for them regardless of what the market does. A neutral or negetive cash flow situation is not good in a stagnant market.
Knowing your location (at least state) helps a lot.

Your last statement is standard leasing - it is a Non-Refundable Option Consideration, or NROC. ("En-Rock"). 3-5% down - not refundable - to move in. If / when they buy, the NROC is applied to the purchase price.

Thanks for both your responses. The property is in the Detroit suburbs. Recent historical appreciation rates are no where near 10%, more like 0-5%. In the past year probably actually slightly negative.How common are strike prices determined by appraisals in lease option deals? Seems likely that the buyer wouldn't trust the objectivity if the seller obtains the appraisal. Is there a standard practice to obtain an true independent appraisal or do real estate attorneys have contract terms that address that?
Have a third party select the appraiser - reasonably standard.Simpler method would be to put 5-8% in your contract for next year (you get a premium, remember - you're "allowing" them to buy a house by renting to own), and add 0.5% a month as you go for another year.

Also negotiate monthly rent and NROC - higher NROC, lower rent.

Remember - 70% of all Lease / Options don't transact (They don't buy). Many reasons why. So - get a high NROC.

Foundation is there, starting from scratch on everything else. You name it, it needs fixed. This also includes a french drain around 75% of the structure and the place is actually about 330 square feet. I am getting a stainless steel fridge, stove, etc.  You could surely buy them yourself cheaper???

Here's a breakdown, one in more detail should arrive by e-mail sometime tonight or tomorrow and he was the cheapest (in fact someone I know pretty well here who has fixed up over 20 houses thought it was about as cheap as I could get):

Description of work to be performed:

--Dig and install french drain on north and east side

of building

Are you sure you mean French Drain??  A French drain is inside the structure, and is just a "Troth" around the walls to catch water that is allowed into the structure, and then channels to a Floor drain.  This is not the system you would want inside a Finished space.  If it is truly a French Drain, it is not something you would want.

--Cut hole in small piece of wood at side to run drain

pipe to correct drainage problem

--seal cracks in water proofing along bottom of

building

--Install new rain gutters on East and South side of

building

--Install new down spouts where needed

--Demo old flashing on top of patio cover

--Install new flashing on top of patio cover and caulk

and water proof

--Prep Exterior wood

--Paint Exterior wood

--Remove 3 windows

--Install 3 new windows and trim out

--Demo remaining wall paneling

--Remove old electrical wiring,plugs and switches

--Install new electrical wiring ,plugs and switches

--Repair hole in east wall

--Install new insulation in exterior walls

--Sheetrock walls with 1/2" Sheetrock

--Tape,float and sand walls

--Scrape popcorn ceiling

--Prep ceiling

--Spray texture on walls and ceilings

A thought on Texture.  It's cheap and easy, but requires a Pro if you ever need to make a repair to match it back up.  I understand how much easier it is for the contractor, but down the road, flat walls and ceilings are so much easier to deal with because countless people can repair flat drywall, even you (You will need a Spanish lace pro to make repairs if you texture), and cost you much less long term if you ever have any repairs.  If you were Flipping, and YOUR MARKET would support Texture, then ABSOLUTELY!  (The trend here at least is away from Texture, and it would be foolish to texture ceilings and walls as it is not a Selling point, only something to correct).  Renting, Flat walls and Ceilings are easier to deal with long term for repair.

--Paint ceilings and walls

--Install new baseboards throughout interior and paint

--Install new door trim, window sills and paint

--Demo old shower and cabinets

--Install new water resistance Sheetrock in shower

area

Make sure this is "Green board"

--Install new 6x9 ceramic tile in shower

--Grout and seal ceramic tile in shower

--Install new shower fixtures

--Install new bathroom accessories (towel bar,tp

holder,small vanity mirror

--Install new toilet

--Install new vanity in bathroom

--Install new sink and fixtures in bathroom

--Install new light fixtures throughout interior

--Install new ceiling fan

--Clean floor and repair cracks and holes

--Stain floor

--Install 1 new sink base cabinet

--Install new sink, plumbing and fixtures

--Install 3 new wall cabinets

--Install new stainless steel fridge

--Install new mini electric stainless steel stove

--Install new vent less microwave range hood

--Install new window a/c/heater unit

I would STRONGLY recommend that you have it installed into the wall as a permanent structure.  In a Window, it is a safety risk, the window is lost for use, it's tacky, and they are dealing with walls anyway.  Just do it better right up front.

--Final clean and walk through

--Remove all trash created by this job

--Remove all trash already on the job
This isn't a bad list. There is nothing in that list I couldn't do myself with pretty much ease. I think that since you are recouping the cost in under a year, the heck with it, just have it done. But for your information, you could be talked through much of this even over the Internet to save money. I wouldn't worry about it as fast as you repay yourself though.If I wasn't so burried right now, and you could take 3 weeks off work to learn and help me, I could do that job for half the cost plus round trip plan tickets, a place to stay, and food. This is not a hard project.

Make sure this becomes an All ELECTRIC unit, where the electric is metered separately. Make the tenant pay the electric. You will most likely need to just eat the water bill as giving them their own meter stop at the street main would be very expensive. You could however, meter them separately from your supply, and bill them yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is a real estate forum, I thought I would throw out a question:

Does having a pool help or hinder the resell value of a home?

We have a big pool in our backyard. It is an old pool and in decent shape. However, the foundation surrounding the pool is cracked and some areas in upheaval (nothing that would affect the pool though).

We got an estimate to fix the foundation and put flagstone around the pool, replacing the current "pebble" concrete. Also, we would update the interior of the pool with PebbleTec. It would come out to $15,000.

Another option would be to fill the pool. That would cost $15,000 as well.

We are considering selling the house in a few years and moving somewhere with less maintanence (the house was built in 1957). It has been updated but it is still one thing after another.

Any advice is appreciated. If we get the work done, it wouldn't be until fall. So we have a couple of months to figure it out.

TIA
Interesting and my limited take is that it's a crap shoot. While some people must have a pool some do NOT want them. My wife and I with having a kid < 1 and another on the way specifically did not want a pool. Plus, why put up with maintenance and we have plenty of parks around us with pools. Opposite, I know someone who specifically wanted a pool.I think if you have a place, spending a bunch putting in a pool is a waste of money or if your place has one, why spend the money covering it up?
It is a crapshoot.I have little kids - I didn't want a pool. Other families want other things.

You want to get the most amount of POSSIBLE buyers when you resell.

Do the minimal amount of work to keep it in the "either or" case to attract either buyer. Allow $15K towards EITHER filling it in (THIS SOUNDS VERY HIGH) or repairing it.

In the interim, cover it and leave it that way when you want to sell it. That way it will have minimal impact on the buyer (they won't see a big hole that looks like crap in the backyard). They WILL see a nice cover and $15K.
Mac,I remember that you are in TX. Here in IN, a Pool might actually easily be a Liability. A Pool is used for a shorter season, and more trouble than it is worth. My Parents have an Indoor pool, and that was a Huge buying point for them. An outdoor pool would have been a Negative.

This could be completely different in TX. Of the most active posters here, most all of them are at or above the Mason-Dixon line. We probably don't know if it is valuable in TX. I know that I would want one if I lived in say AZ. I wouldn't buy a house without one.

I have to suggest that you call around to local Realtors and Appraisers, and just ask them. Tell them you are thinking of selling, and ask which would be better. Only someone in the business in your market could answer this question well for you. The rest of us would just be spinning your wheels.

What is the standard commision for a Real Estate agent representing the buyer.....?????????

Im in NJ, AC area if it matters.

I have another more important question.. but dont have the time now...TIA
As a buyer, you don't care.They get 1/2 of the commission paid by the seller (typically).

Usually 50% of 6%, or 3%.
Like Jeff said, it doesn't matter to the buyer, the seller pays for it. For the record again, as a Buyer, you get an agent period, and you don't worry about it. Watch yourself where you continue to feel that your Buyers Realtor is indeed working in your best interest (Mostly, that won't be the case). You never have to worry about the money aspect as a Buyer. GET AN AGENT, THIS IS A NO BRAINIER! I don't understand why so many people are turned upside down on this issue?Now, if you are a Seller, here is something to think about, OVERPAY the commission. Stay with me....

Say the standard is 7% (Which is the going rate in MY market, the going rate in YOUR market could be different). Raise your asking price $10-20-30K, and offer say 9%, with 4.5% going to the buying Agent. Or do 7% with 4% going to the buying agent. You will have to work this into the contract.

A TON of the time, the Selling agent gets a contract for 7%, and then keeps 4% and gives the buying agent 3%. This is FOOL HARDY. It's very common, but short sighted. What Buying Realtor is going to push your house for 3%, when they can make 3.5% from the other house you are in competition for???? Please, Realtors are greedy by nature.

My Wife has found that if she can talk the seller into 8% but raising the total price to cover it, where the Buying agent gets 4.5% (So yes, she makes less than the buying agent) then she can put into the Realtor part of the MLS that the buying agent makes more.

Now, the buying agent is watching the MLS, and sees that instead of the normal 3.5%, they see 4.5%, the buying agents will push her house like there is no tomorrow. The house sells instantly as every buying agent is pushing HARD to sell it. She actually makes a little more than she would have normally, as she still gets 3.5%, but the property is at a greater listing price that it would have normally been at.

Realtors are greedy. Repeat that a number of times. Too many are short sighted, and can't see the big picture. My wife and I talk strategy all the time, and come up with creative ways to go. If you can find a forward thinking Realtor, who understands that you have to give a Carrot to keep the cart going, and understands that it isn't about what the other agent makes, but what she makes, this can work well.

Realtors are greedy. Most will push the house they make more on even if it is not really the right house for the buyer. Most buyers buy a home in an area once in a decade plus. The Realtor isn't looking for return business every year, as they know they can't get it, it's a one time rob the hen house of as many chickens as you can carry.

Give it some thought. This has been extremely successful for us.

I’ve casually browsed this thread a few times but never posted until now.  I’ve been trying to sell a house for a while and now have a potential opportunity to lease or lease option.  I’m looking for advice on the merits of this alternative given the state of my local real estate market.

The interested party contacted me a few weeks ago.  It’s a family relocating from another state.  They own a home but say it’s impossible to sell there right now so they want to lease my home now with the idea of buying my home or another area home in 1-2 years.

After I first showed them the home back in mid June I was hesitant.  I had a low-ball offer going south that I was trying to resurrect following a failed buyer inspection gambit plus a couple of other potential buyers had recently viewed the home multiple times.  Prime buying season was in full force.  I really wanted to just sell it and it was prime selling season.  So after serious consideration I declined starting any negotiations.  I told them my perspective would be different if showings were slow or it was mid August or later.  I asked them to keep my number in case whatever they did later didn’t pan out.

This week they called.  They haven’t signed a lease yet.  They couldn’t come to terms with anyone that made their short list.  I’ve got no hot prospects pending; just first time showings happening at a steady 1 to 4 per week.  They wanted to see if I’d reconsider.

Here’s some background on my situation.  I moved last fall and this home is sitting vacant.  The local market is a definite buyers market.  I’m in a very desirable area with great commute times and the best area schools.  There are many area homes built in the past 10 years up for sale but not a lot in my price range.  Most are larger and priced $100-250k more.  My biggest price range competition is nearby new construction.  I’m priced under builder base prices on much less desirable lots.

Sale rates and prices are not much below 2005 market levels.  There’s just a lot of inventory available.  The local area hasn’t had the spectacular appreciation over the last 5-10 years seen in other markets so I’m guessing prices aren’t going to plummet either.

The guy looking to lease is VP of a condo developer.  He is not changing jobs.  He has money tied up until completion of one or more development projects.  His family will be living here and he will be commuting.  His teenage kid got recruited to play for a sport team nearby.  That is their reason for moving.  The story seems weird so I’m leery if they have good intentions.  Given his construction/real estate experience I’m assuming I am dealing with an expert.  This guy is building 20 story condo’s selling for $750K a unit.  Why is he so cash strapped that he needs a lease option?  I’m concerned I’m being setup for failure to pay, bankruptcy, eviction, etc.

I’m concerned that structuring a win/win lease option could be complicated.  My impression is that they are hoping to pay a competitive lease rate and get the option to buy at my current asking price included for no additional premium.  I’m thinking something like an upfront 3-5% option premium in lieu of a security deposit.  Then they may treat the home like it’s their own and if there is little or no price appreciation they still may be inclined to actually buy the house.

Looking for any comments, opinions, tips.  Thanks.
I am bringing this to the top, as there is about an hours worth of posting to answer this monster, and I don't know if I have it in my tonight. (It was a rough day) I want to answer this though, but you have so much going on here, it will take some effort.ONE OF THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT things you can do in this thread is please take the 30 seconds necessary and modify your board profile to include the Market you are talking about. We can't remember where everyone is from, and just going to your controls, and putting that you are from say Dallas Texas would be a tremendous help to us.

Thread is dying a bit!

Ok, so I have picked out the GC I want to restore my garage apartment. Had three bids and he was not only the person I felt like knew what I wanted but also the cheapest bid out of three. Great guy and he said that when he starts (mid next week) he would like 50% down then when completely done in 6 weeks, the other 50%. Is this standard? I can't compare it to getting help while redoing my place in NY since I had illegals and would simply pay them end of each week.
I do Draws based on work output for Jobs over a few hundred bucks. If it's under say $300.00, then I expect that the person I am hiring has some reserves, they can do the work, and get paid.As an Example, I have my Electrician doing a $3K breakout and upgrade right now. We did a Grand draw to get started, and I have paid two $500.00 draws as we have gone along with me seeing forward progress. We are in the final stages, and I am holding the last Grand for completion.

I have a CHEAP but great part time painter that is just flat out FAST. $200.00 a Unit to paint out. I expect him to do the work, then we will settle up.

Given that you are not known in the market, Your GC is protecting himself by asking for 50% up front. I WOULD get some references from past customers, and look at some of his work. If he is any good, at least one past customer will be willing to help him out.

Contractors get burned every day of the week by doing work for someone who won't, or doesn't have the ability to pay them. He's doing a CYA.

I would still prefer a Weekly draw over the 6 weeks, where you see ongoing progress that is in line with the completion date, but you might not be able to swing that.
Contacted references and seen his work, very nice stuff. I'll see how flexible or not he is in regards to payment (so far has been very flexible about everything else up to this point) but to be honest, I don't want to nickel and dime him upfront and create any ill will. Again, I want good vibes going into the later part of this week and don't want him thinking "If this guy is trying to job me down, will I get paid going forward?" Then again, if he has no problem giving up a little and perhaps getting some in the middle (instead of 50% at end) then we will both come out ahead.
Just for the record, is this Fuller that wants to convert his Garage into a unit???:secret:e:handshake:

I can't think that if I tell him sorry only $500 up front that he'll go for that. Heck, I wouldn't.
If you have already agreed, you are probably stuck. I think you said you checked references, so I would not really worry about it. I would try and get partof it tied to an on time completion, tho. Or offer a $500 bonus if all work completed by so and so a date. Time is money and it keeps them from draggiing them out a long time if they get other jobs. Good luck, I checked with my guys and they had not heard of him, but that means nothing- its a big town and my guys don't "network" a lot.
Nothing "official" yet, he's sending over his final sheet breakdown that totals to his 9,900 amount.Checked and went to two different places he's worked on and they looked great.

Thanks CosJobs...by the way, I may need some info on you regarding lenders ;)

This got me thinking about "bonus for finishing up early" topic. While I don't want him to finish late, why is finishing early a good thing? Wouldn't you be more inclined to do something sloppy if you knew that finishing early would get you more money?

I definitely want them to finish as early as possible but also want it done right. I would hate to pay more money and get it done a few weeks early only to find out they took corners.
RKMoney,Don't make me read back and remember. Put your Area of operation in your profile. Also, remind me, I seem to think you have a Garage unit that you are fixing up for $10K, will rent out for $400-500 a month, and be repaid in a Year. Right?

About the time issue, if my givens are correct:

Best case: The GC piddles around for at least a week with the holiday, finishes in say 5 weeks, and you have a shot to have a renter by September. Maybe a little late for a College student, but maybe.

Worst case: The GC piddles around for a couple of weeks, runs the 6 weeks, then runs over a Month sending you to the point of break down, and MAYBE, just MAYBE you could rent it by November.

I don't have a "Way Back" Machine, and can't go back in time 2 months. Once those two months have past, you can never go back. Two months rent at $500.00 a month is a Grand that you have lost, and there is absolutely zero way to recapture it.

Would a $300.00 bonus be worth $500.00 with a shot at $1,000.00 to you? It would be worth it to me.

I could give a half dozen personal examples of a Contractor or Sub putting me back a couple of months just off the top of my head were I lost up to a Grand on each one of them. So off the top of my head, I could recount some $6K that I lost and will never be able to recapture.

I'll let some other seasoned investors add their own examples. Any of them are going to tell you that Time is Money. I would bet that Bass and Jeff have some killer stories to tell on this subject.
Sorry about all that MA, i will update my info, recap:1. Will spend 9900 to fix up garage apartment

2. Should be able now to get ~600 - 700 a month for it

Austin Texas - downtown and near University of Texas

This really is a no brainer. With my location being golden, it would be a crime not to rent it out.

Time is DEFINITELY money for me. I will shoot him an early $300 amount if he can get it done earlier, I want it all down and someone to move in no worse than September. In the same token though if he's more than a week late, I would want to recoup some costs having to wait longer to rent.
I might point out that you still haven't taken the 30 seconds to go to your profile and input your area of operation..... :wall:

Here is my latest comment in the JoeT thread for comment:

JoeT,

First, I am a Licensed Agent, and my Wife is a Practicing agent. Let me be the very first to say that becoming an Agent is a VERY easy thing to do. I went to the class, never studied (Much to my Wife's dismay), got a 94% or whatever in the class to get a Certificate with honors or whatever it was, and passed the test with zero problems. Really, it isn't hard, anyone can be an agent without much effort. Which is why the average agent is pretty damn worthless. As an agent, I am not here to say they are the bread and butter of the business.

However, a Good, EXPERIENCED, in the business SURVIVING for say 5 years, agent is worth their weight in gold. Realtors are slimy, greedy people, and I sold Used cars for a number of months between Country Club Manager Jobs at one point in my Career. I am telling you as a Used car salesman, Realtors are Greedy like there is no tomorrow.

They make countless mistakes early in their career like anyone else in a new career, and honestly, if they haven't proven they can survive 3, Really 5 years in the business, they would absolutely screw you for a sale over what's best for you.

But here is the real deal. If the seller as already signed up with a Realtor, the 7% or whatever it is, is already built in for the remainder of the contract. It really doesn't matter if you have a Realtor or not, the 7% is paid by the seller.

So lets say you don't have a Realtor, but the seller signed a Contract with a Realtor: Great, you have zero representation, and the selling Realtor gets ALL of the 7% commission.

Lets say you get representation, and have a Buyers Realtor: You now have an Expert where you can hold a Fire to their ### and they get paid by the seller. Really, this buyer's agent won't expect that you are return business and will work to just sell the house you want, regardless of whether it is right for you. However, if you follow the advice above, but modify it to a buyers position, and stay on them, you WILL get some professional representation at no cost to you. There are good buyers agents out there. If you wanted to buy in the Mecca of all Civilization, Fort Wayne, IN, I have a good one for you. Only that most people aren't lucky enough to buy in the Mecca of ALL Civilization.

End of the day, it doesn't matter what you think you are doing. ANY seller who has listed and not protected themselves is going to pay say 7% whether you have an agent or not. The selling agent would love for you not to have ANY protection as they would get the full 7%, and they know that can on top of that, they can take advantage of you as you don't have an agent. This is a no win situation.

IF, and I mean IF, a Seller knows what they are doing, (And really, people don't have a clue what they are doing when they sell, NO FREAKING CLUE at all) they signed a "Exclusive Agency Listing" or better yet an "Open Listing". Either of these allow for the seller to bring in a buyer, and pay ZERO commission if they provide the buyer. Sellers are not knowledgeable enough to know this is even an option, and no Realtor would tell them. So EVERY seller is cattle driven into a no win position.

Realtors are Greedy, Greedy people, and they won't point out that there are other options, so completely expect that if a Property is with a Realtor, they are getting a full commission if you don't have any professional council, and that they openly welcome your offer to take advantage of.

I am a Realtor, this is how it is.

Here is the run down of my 2 applicants so far this month:

Applicant #1:

2 evictions, worst was $2,464.81 in damages

4 Protective orders issued against

Civil court collections of $6K and $1,113.30

Criminal Conversion, non compliant with sentence of home detention

Domestic Battery

Dealing Marijuana

Applicant #2:

**In My County**

Felony OWI

Public Intox

Check Deception

Resisting Law Enforcement

Escape from custody (Guy found a hole in the system, and esacaped from Jail, have to admire that, remember I am not from a Big City)

Grand Theft Auto

Domestic Battery

Protective order against

a Page full of collections, including one from the Court for failure to pay for rehab.

**In his Home County**

Time in Prison with the Department of Corrections

Theft, receiving stolen Auto Parts

2 OWIs

Driving While suspended

Neglect of a Dependent (Seems he was driving drunk with his small child in the car)

It's a great start of the Month!

Here is the run down of my 2 applicants so far this month:

Applicant #1:

2 evictions, worst was $2,464.81 in damages

4 Protective orders issued against

Civil court collections of $6K and $1,113.30

Criminal Conversion, non compliant with sentence of home detention

Domestic Battery

Dealing Marijuana

Applicant #2:

**In My County**

Felony OWI

Public Intox

Check Deception

Resisting Law Enforcement

Escape from custody (Guy found a hole in the system, and esacaped from Jail, have to admire that, remember I am not from a Big City)

Grand Theft Auto

Domestic Battery

Protective order against

a Page full of collections, including one from the Court for failure to pay for rehab.

**In his Home County**

Time in Prison with the Department of Corrections

Theft, receiving stolen Auto Parts

2 OWIs

Driving While suspended

Neglect of a Dependent (Seems he was driving drunk with his small child in the car)

It's a great start of the Month!
Applicant #1 was a Black guy with a White girlfriend. I would have rented to the girlfriend as her worst problem as a Failure to wear seatbelt and a speeding ticket. But you know she will move in this train wreck as soon as possible.So I turn the guy down. He is a train wreck, and although we might accept some problems, any display of violence, ever (Domestic Battery) is a Deal killer period. I don't want my wife going over to a home with anyone of any kind that has displayed any kind of Violence.

That said, the guy starts arguing with me.

Before I just got rid of him, he told me that EVERYONE in America has been arrested at least once, that's just the way it works. When I pointed out that many people, infact everyone I know and certainly everyone I rent to have not been arrested, he stated that as a Black man he is arrested all the time unfairly, and will never be treated fairly until he lives in a city only populated by blacks.

I bit my tongue, and ditched him.

My Wife has found that if she can talk the seller into 8% but raising the total price to cover it, where the Buying agent gets 4.5% (So yes, she makes less than the buying agent) then she can put into the Realtor part of the MLS that the buying agent makes more.

Now, the buying agent is watching the MLS, and sees that instead of the normal 3.5%, they see 4.5%, the buying agents will push her house like there is no tomorrow. The house sells instantly as every buying agent is pushing HARD to sell it. She actually makes a little more than she would have normally, as she still gets 3.5%, but the property is at a greater listing price that it would have normally been at.

Realtors are greedy. Repeat that a number of times. Too many are short sighted, and can't see the big picture. My wife and I talk strategy all the time, and come up with creative ways to go. If you can find a forward thinking Realtor, who understands that you have to give a Carrot to keep the cart going, and understands that it isn't about what the other agent makes, but what she makes, this can work well.

Realtors are greedy. Most will push the house they make more on even if it is not really the right house for the buyer. Most buyers buy a home in an area once in a decade plus. The Realtor isn't looking for return business every year, as they know they can't get it, it's a one time rob the hen house of as many chickens as you can carry.

Give it some thought. This has been extremely successful for us.
You are advocating raising the cost of the house and the already inflated fees paid to the agents. GREAT IDEA!!! Who pays for this? Oh yea, that's right, the buyer.Your advice is basically to #### the buyer.

You are also advocating that the buyer's agent #### the buyer as well.

Remind me why anyone should take your advice again on BUYING a house.

:mellow:

Now, the buying agent is watching the MLS, and sees that instead of the normal 3.5%, they see 4.5%, the buying agents will push her house like there is no tomorrow.  The house sells instantly as every buying agent is pushing HARD to sell it.  She actually makes a little more than she would have normally, as she still gets 3.5%, but the property is at a greater listing price that it would have normally been at.

Realtors are greedy.  Repeat that a number of times.  Too many are short sighted, and can't see the big picture.  My wife and I talk strategy all the time, and come up with creative ways to go.  If you can find a forward thinking Realtor, who understands that you have to give a Carrot to keep the cart going, and understands that it isn't about what the other agent makes, but what she makes, this can work well.

Realtors are greedy.  Most will push the house they make more on even if it is not really the right house for the buyer.  Most buyers buy a home in an area once in a decade plus.  The Realtor isn't looking for return business every year, as they know they can't get it, it's a one time rob the hen house of as many chickens as you can carry.

Give it some thought.  This has been extremely successful for us.
You are advocating raising the cost of the house and the already inflated fees paid to the agents. GREAT IDEA!!! Who pays for this? Oh yea, that's right, the buyer.Your advice is basically to #### the buyer.

I believe he is spot on, especially if you are in a slow market like I am. He is one of very few agents that would admit this. If he gives great advice like this as a seller’s agent then he would automatically make my short list of buyer’s agents I'd be willing to work with.In my area 6% total commission with 3% going to buyer’s agents is standard. I signed with a flat fee broker to get in the MLS. I still have a full exclusive right to sell listing but I don't have a true commissioned selling agent so no 3% listing agent commissions to pay. I have to hold my own open houses and pay for all my own marketing expenses. Then, instead of paying the standard 3% commission to the buyer’s agent I raised it higher to do exactly what Mike is suggesting. I created an extra incentive to motivate the person who actually has the attention of buyers and has the ability to influence a buyer, the buyer’s agent.

I have had agents tell me that the higher commission percentage won't influence them but I don't believe it. In my recent offer the buyer's agent definitely noticed the higher commission and made a point of verifying it before we began negotiations.

But, who am I to talk. My property is still for sale (see above). I look forward to Mike's comments on my situation.

While we are on the subject, I wanted to get some impressions from you guys on an offer I received.

One percent realty (http://www.onepercentusa.com/) has a business model I really like. First off, I always thought 6-7% on selling a home was BS, especially when you get into the 300-500K sales.

This company charges 1% ($2000 min.). They also charge $500 of the fee up front to initiate service. Sellers get reduced selling fees and buyers get cash back at the sale.

I think this is a great new paradigm for the industry. First off, the obscene commissions are a thing of the past and secondly, the up front money means you get paid something regardless of outcome and tirekickers get screened out (only serious buyers/sellers will pay $$ upfront).

Its my feeling this would be very instructive for me to be participating in the local market like this and should help me on my buying decisions as an investor.

I had decided earlier to not get a RE license because of limitations it may put on my REI opps. But it looks like I could circumvent that by having my wife actually doing the REIs.

I think this business model will eventually take over the industry and feel pretty good about getting on board with them. They also have in house mortgage and title services I could possibly use for my own purposes.

It would cost me about 2 weeks and $1000 in educational expenses and licensing fees to do this.

While we are on the subject, I wanted to get some impressions from you guys on an offer I received.

One percent realty (http://www.onepercentusa.com/) has a business model I really like. First off, I always thought 6-7% on selling a home was BS, especially when you get into the 300-500K sales.

This company charges 1% ($2000 min.). They also charge $500 of the fee up front to initiate service. Sellers get reduced selling fees and buyers get cash back at the sale.

I think this is a great new paradigm for the industry. First off, the obscene commissions are a thing of the past and secondly, the up front money means you get paid something regardless of outcome and tirekickers get screened out (only serious buyers/sellers will pay $$ upfront).

Its my feeling this would be very instructive for me to be participating in the local market like this and should help me on my buying decisions as an investor.

I had decided earlier to not get a RE license because of limitations it may put on my REI opps. But it looks like I could circumvent that by having my wife actually doing the REIs.

I think this business model will eventually take over the industry and feel pretty good about getting on board with them. They also have in house mortgage and title services I could possibly use for my own purposes.

It would cost me about 2 weeks and $1000 in educational expenses and licensing fees to do this.
This actually sounds sensible. :thumbup:

cos> Is there anything like this in Dallas?

And, do you have to go through their mortgage company?

pre-emtive :fu: to all the RE agents in this thread.

:lmao:

The broker I'm using in Michigan is part of a national association or franchise group. Here's his Texas counterpart: brokerdirectmlstexas

I checked out their website and like what they're about. Unfortunately they are not in my area. Do any of you know of something similar in the DC area?

You are buying, right?What area are looking in? Lower Greenville?

Asking so I can hook you up with the best qualified agent.

Also, you DO NOT have to use their mortgage company. In fact they told me today that they prefer you find the client their best deal, not even try to limit it to the in-house.Please pm me any details you can provide about what you are looking to do.

A couple of initial thoughts...
YOU don't have to sacrifice your family or faith by being compelled to work late at night or on Sundays. Not sure how I would feel about missing a peak showing day.

$2000 min commission and $349 for upgrade service.That's basically 1.7% on the average $150K house around here.The model sounds workable, but it's failed miserably in this market. Around here it's called Help-U-Sell Real Estate. Most of the time I call on one of these properties, it's a day or so until someone calls me back and often I never even get a return call. Something tells me this may be a haven for the part-timer or some one who couldn't make it elsewhere.

In most places this industry is going to revolve around buyers and what they want. They want information and access immediately. If the seller isn't catering to that, they're reducing their chance to net their best selling price.

I'd like to dig into this more, but I need to go throw up some lock boxes so potential tenants have access to my listings tomorrow.

I can't think that if I tell him sorry only $500 up front that he'll go for that. Heck, I wouldn't.
If you have already agreed, you are probably stuck. I think you said you checked references, so I would not really worry about it. I would try and get partof it tied to an on time completion, tho. Or offer a $500 bonus if all work completed by so and so a date. Time is money and it keeps them from draggiing them out a long time if they get other jobs. Good luck, I checked with my guys and they had not heard of him, but that means nothing- its a big town and my guys don't "network" a lot.
Nothing "official" yet, he's sending over his final sheet breakdown that totals to his 9,900 amount.Checked and went to two different places he's worked on and they looked great.

Thanks CosJobs...by the way, I may need some info on you regarding lenders ;)

This got me thinking about "bonus for finishing up early" topic. While I don't want him to finish late, why is finishing early a good thing? Wouldn't you be more inclined to do something sloppy if you knew that finishing early would get you more money?

I definitely want them to finish as early as possible but also want it done right. I would hate to pay more money and get it done a few weeks early only to find out they took corners.
RKMoney,Don't make me read back and remember. Put your Area of operation in your profile. Also, remind me, I seem to think you have a Garage unit that you are fixing up for $10K, will rent out for $400-500 a month, and be repaid in a Year. Right?

About the time issue, if my givens are correct:

Best case: The GC piddles around for at least a week with the holiday, finishes in say 5 weeks, and you have a shot to have a renter by September. Maybe a little late for a College student, but maybe.

Worst case: The GC piddles around for a couple of weeks, runs the 6 weeks, then runs over a Month sending you to the point of break down, and MAYBE, just MAYBE you could rent it by November.

I don't have a "Way Back" Machine, and can't go back in time 2 months. Once those two months have past, you can never go back. Two months rent at $500.00 a month is a Grand that you have lost, and there is absolutely zero way to recapture it.

Would a $300.00 bonus be worth $500.00 with a shot at $1,000.00 to you? It would be worth it to me.

I could give a half dozen personal examples of a Contractor or Sub putting me back a couple of months just off the top of my head were I lost up to a Grand on each one of them. So off the top of my head, I could recount some $6K that I lost and will never be able to recapture.

I'll let some other seasoned investors add their own examples. Any of them are going to tell you that Time is Money. I would bet that Bass and Jeff have some killer stories to tell on this subject.
Sorry about all that MA, i will update my info, recap:1. Will spend 9900 to fix up garage apartment

2. Should be able now to get ~600 - 700 a month for it

Austin Texas - downtown and near University of Texas

This really is a no brainer. With my location being golden, it would be a crime not to rent it out.

Time is DEFINITELY money for me. I will shoot him an early $300 amount if he can get it done earlier, I want it all down and someone to move in no worse than September. In the same token though if he's more than a week late, I would want to recoup some costs having to wait longer to rent.
I might point out that you still haven't taken the 30 seconds to go to your profile and input your area of operation..... :wall:
Sorry, I entered my location and no I am not Fuller, he changed my name from RKMoney. Should revert back soon.

YOU don't have to sacrifice your family or faith by being compelled to work late at night or on Sundays. Not sure how I would feel about missing a peak showing day.

I definitely am onboad with keeping my Sundays free for the NFL. I am thinking of making my workdays noon- 8pm, so there's plenty of time after the typical customer gets off work to see some homes, especially in the summer.

$2000 min commission and $349 for upgrade service.That's basically 1.7% on the average $150K house around here. Houses cost more here, so the percentage is smaller, but that still adds up to some significant savings pretty quickly.

The model sounds workable, but it's failed miserably in this market. Around here it's called Help-U-Sell Real Estate. Most of the time I call on one of these properties, it's a day or so until someone calls me back and often I never even get a return call. Something tells me this may be a haven for the part-timer or some one who couldn't make it elsewhere.

Small sample size to make a judgement. I'd say its just as likely a faulty operator as business model.

In most places this industry is going to revolve around buyers and what they want. They want information and access immediately. If the seller isn't catering to that, they're reducing their chance to net their best selling price.

IMO, cutting out the tirekickers (by charging the min $500 fee), allows me plenty of time to service the clients as well as anyone else.

I'd like to dig into this more, but I need to go throw up some lock boxes so potential tenants have access to my listings tomorrow.

I checked out their website and like what they're about. Unfortunately they are not in my area. Do any of you know of something similar in the DC area?
Help-U-Sell is around here.So is MisterLister.

Save6 might still be around.

However - for me - and no I'm not a broker - having someone else sell my house for me is worth 2%. They'll market it better and do everything that I don't have to do so I can do other things.

If there is one thing that RE has reinforced for me - Time does equal money.

You have to realize that I think here all that's going on is that the brokerage cut out the listing agent.Normally, out of 6%:

Buyer agent (and their brokerage) gets 3%.

Seller agent (listing agent) and their brokerage gets 3%.

So the agents get 1.5% each and the brokerages get 1.5% each.

1% is close enough for them, and also saves them on some marketing and employees.

I'd love to save the 6-7% on a realtor, but in a market that is cooling off a bit, I'll take the realtor. The ONLY time I'd consider not using one (ok 2) is if (1) I had a buyer in hand, or (2) the market was an extreme seller's market.

(2) was the case 12-18 months ago. Not quite so any more.

I definitely am onboad with keeping my Sundays free for the NFL. I am thinking of making my workdays noon- 8pm, so there's plenty of time after the typical customer gets off work to see some homes, especially in the summer.

$2000 min commission and $349 for upgrade service.That's basically 1.7% on the average $150K house around here. Houses cost more here, so the percentage is smaller, but that still adds up to some significant savings pretty quickly.

The model sounds workable, but it's failed miserably in this market.  Around here it's called Help-U-Sell Real Estate.  Most of the time I call on one of these properties, it's a day or so until someone calls me back and often I never even get a return call.  Something tells me this may be a haven for the part-timer or some one who couldn't make it elsewhere. 

Small sample size to make a judgement. I'd say its just as likely a faulty operator as business model.

In most places this industry is going to revolve around buyers and what they want.  They want information and access immediately.  If the seller isn't catering to that, they're reducing their chance to net their best selling price. 

IMO, cutting out the tirekickers (by charging the min $500 fee), allows me plenty of time to service the clients as well as anyone else.

cos...when you research this more, please post what the selling agent will make (not the company). I'd like to run some number on what I'd have to do on the transaction side to make this fly and compare it to just starting my own limited service company on my own.

Went to a local real estate group (if you haven't gone to one - go).

Kendra Todd was there.

Yes, that Kendra Todd - from The Apprentice.

I'm guessing you can tell from my Avatar that I watch that show. :)

Anyway, she was promoting her RE career and biz and her new book, but she said a few things that were rather interesting (that's what I go for, really. Any tidbits of info for free are worth it).

She was talking about what states and areas of the country are growing fastest.

I'd love to hear from any FBGs on the board that are from these areas. (I know, likely spinoff thread - I'll do that next).

First, states that are growing the fastest:

1. Nevada (LV is still growing fast)

2. Arizona (Phoenix, Tuscon, Scottsdale)

3. Idaho.

Seriously. Idaho.

Who knew.

Then again, 2 guys walking into Idaho may boost it 1%.

4. Was Florida, and I think 5th was NC.

More to follow.

BnB, we may need to discuss some things.....

Now, the buying agent is watching the MLS, and sees that instead of the normal 3.5%, they see 4.5%, the buying agents will push her house like there is no tomorrow.  The house sells instantly as every buying agent is pushing HARD to sell it.  She actually makes a little more than she would have normally, as she still gets 3.5%, but the property is at a greater listing price that it would have normally been at.

Realtors are greedy.  Repeat that a number of times.  Too many are short sighted, and can't see the big picture.  My wife and I talk strategy all the time, and come up with creative ways to go.  If you can find a forward thinking Realtor, who understands that you have to give a Carrot to keep the cart going, and understands that it isn't about what the other agent makes, but what she makes, this can work well.

Realtors are greedy.  Most will push the house they make more on even if it is not really the right house for the buyer.  Most buyers buy a home in an area once in a decade plus.  The Realtor isn't looking for return business every year, as they know they can't get it, it's a one time rob the hen house of as many chickens as you can carry.

My Advice in this post was if you were a SELLER. There are ways to look outside the box that are not used. I just happened to be thinking about it, and it was a place to add that line of thought. I doubt you are going to buy your home from a FBG, so I can't see how that post hurts you, but it could very well help SELLERs in this thread.My Advice to you as a BUYER is to have an Agent if the house is already listed with an agent. To do anything less would be fool hardy. Really a no win situation.

If you come across a Home to buy that is NOT listed, please post here, and I will try and think of anything I can to help you with the process. I would be making nothing, just helping out a FBG.

We fight hard for the person who hired us, not necessarily the person who is paying us. I have advised people on say 20 some deals in my Area where I never received a dime of Commission. I think my best payday in doing any of this to date has been a Ruben, Fries, and a Diet Pepsi. Just today at 11:00 am I was invited to tour a Home with a Buyer (Who was not employing my wife or I) that the price they were about to agree to on a FSBO was $25K too high. I have walked through properties with buyers without ever making a dime, or having any expectation that I was going to make a dime, and pointed out flaws, ways to beat the price down, what I thought were problems, if I thought the seller could be bullied down after meeting them, and so on....

Not everyone is out to get you JoeT, I am going to give advice on both sides of the fence here, take and leave what you wish to.

This needed it's own post. I am not advocating anything. I am pointing out a Fact of the RE game. Many Buyers agents are far more concerned with getting the commission even if it's not exactly the Absolute best position for the buyer. It's just a reality.I am advocating that a Seller be aware of this, and use it to their advantage.

I have myself personally been strong armed in the past by my own agent working me over to drop some of my needs and accept the sellers position as all they wanted was for the deal to close and they get paid. Agents live on 100% commission, and have built in costs that must be paid if they sell a house or not. When it gets to the wire, expect that your Agent could throw you under the bus.

That said, if the property you are looking at is already listed, GET AN AGENT OF YOUR OWN. As a FBG, you are bright enough to not be taken advantage of anyway, however, there are a number of quirks in the RE game that you just are not going to know about that an agent can keep you out of.

There are also a number of ways to take advantage of Agents as well, it's a pretty big game with fortunes on the line.

I believe he is spot on, especially if you are in a slow market like I am. He is one of very few agents that would admit this. If he gives great advice like this as a seller’s agent then he would automatically make my short list of buyer’s agents I'd be willing to work with.In my area 6% total commission with 3% going to buyer’s agents is standard. I signed with a flat fee broker to get in the MLS. I still have a full exclusive right to sell listing but I don't have a true commissioned selling agent so no 3% listing agent commissions to pay. I have to hold my own open houses and pay for all my own marketing expenses. Then, instead of paying the standard 3% commission to the buyer’s agent I raised it higher to do exactly what Mike is suggesting. I created an extra incentive to motivate the person who actually has the attention of buyers and has the ability to influence a buyer, the buyer’s agent.

I have had agents tell me that the higher commission percentage won't influence them but I don't believe it. In my recent offer the buyer's agent definitely noticed the higher commission and made a point of verifying it before we began negotiations.

But, who am I to talk. My property is still for sale (see above). I look forward to Mike's comments on my situation.
Getting it into the MLS is HUGE, and worth the flat fee. At the very least a FSBO should do this. As long as you have the skills to show your home correctly (And many who think they do actually do all the wrong things), then do it FSBO.Understand also that many agents feel that working with a Home Owner directly is a huge pain in the ###, and they avoid it if possible. Not that they would give up a sale, but all things being equal. There are also Agents that basically collude, and won't show you period, almost forcing you to take on a agent down the line.

I would have taken on an Agent in a slow market. Time is money, and you need to really stand out in a slow market. I would offer the selling agent slightly hirer than the market commission, and you will be shocked at the volume of business you get. Really shocking as every Agent wants to claim your "prize"of higher than normal commission. It's a Golden ring to capture. Agents will start talking in their offices on "Did you see the place on Spring Street paying 4%???" An inner-office contest for the first one to sell this unusual property can just spring up. I've seen it happen. Agents will take every client they have through it just hoping to hit it right on the right day with that buyer. Be prepared to do a ton of showings.

In a Slow market, you have two weapons: Price and a Great marketing agent. I can't see selling $30K under market as a decent weapon.

In my market, where I can pick up profit generating houses for $30-40K all day long, and Agent actually works for the $500-700.00 gross they personally make on that kind of a Deal. The Brokerage House Reality companies don't exist here because their minimum is ungodly in the market.I would absolutely use a Brokerage House Realtor in a Hot market where it's $750K for a 3-bedroom ranch in a barely average area.

These Brokerage Houses can do well in big markets, but can't survive in much of the nation. It's all about your market.

I run everything through my Wife's license

1% is a Franchised company. Surely there is a branch in Dallas.

It would cost me about  2 weeks and $1000 in educational expenses and licensing fees to do this.

$2000 min commission and $349 for upgrade service.That's basically 1.7% on the average $150K house around here.The model sounds workable, but it's failed miserably in this market. Around here it's called Help-U-Sell Real Estate. Most of the time I call on one of these properties, it's a day or so until someone calls me back and often I never even get a return call. Something tells me this may be a haven for the part-timer or some one who couldn't make it elsewhere.

There has been a good amount of discussion in the RE ranks and publications that the Brokerage House companies actually survive by signing up and billing agents, and not really on the sales side. I have ZERO knowledge on the subject.

If I were selling a House and not a RE professional who can do it himself, I would get an "Exclusive Agency Listing"

Basically, this allows for one agent to represent you, put a sign in the yard, put you in the MLS, everything. If they generate the buyer, you pay as normal, no big deal.

However, if you generate the buyer, you pay nothing at all.

I think I need a definition of Brokerage Houses. Do you mean any broker with agents? How are you differentiating from the "Discount Brokerages" such as the 1% company I am considering joining?

If I were selling a House and not a RE professional who can do it himself, I would get an "Exclusive Agency Listing"

Basically, this allows for one agent to represent you, put a sign in the yard, put you in the MLS, everything. If they generate the buyer, you pay as normal, no big deal.

I know agents prefer the exclusive right to sell listing. In the real world is it easy/realistic to get the exclusive agency listing form an agent? Seems like his placing it in the MLS would likely generate your best leads.

I think I need a definition of Brokerage Houses. Do you mean any broker with agents? How are you differentiating from the "Discount Brokerages" such as the 1% company I am considering joining?
I am meaning "Discount Brokerages", just saying it the way it's said in my area. Your wording is better and more accurate.

I am meaning "Discount Brokerages", just saying it the way it's said in my area. Your wording is better and more accurate.
Okay I was getting confused. THe brokerage I am looking at would bill me nothing to act as their agent. All clients pay $500 up front and that is split between the agent and broker.

Basically, this allows for one agent to represent you, put a sign in the yard, put you in the MLS, everything.  If they generate the buyer, you pay as normal, no big deal.

I know agents prefer the exclusive right to sell listing. In the real world is it easy/realistic to get the exclusive agency listing form an agent? Seems like his placing it in the MLS would likely generate your best leads.
In the real world, an Agent would almost accept an Open Listing from you if they just got to put the sign in the yard. So yes, real world, they will accept an exclusive agency listing. In an exclusive agency listing it's still at least 90% likely that they generate the sale. If their sign is in the yard, and a guy stops to look, you are working in the yard, show it, he buys it, the agent still generated the sale with the sign. The buyer wouldn't have stopped without it.

You hit it off with a guy in line at the BVM, and sell the house, it's Zero commission. An Agent will take that gamble. You won't get the VERY BEST marketing, but they will still market you, and most likely (Almost a slam dunk) sell the house for you before you produce an independent buyer.

Only no agent is ever going to let a seller know that there are lots of options with the contract.

Okay I was getting confused. THe brokerage I am looking at would bill me nothing to act as their agent. All clients pay $500 up front and that is split between the agent and broker.
Wow, that is not the way I understood it. I understood it to be where the agent Bought into the company, and of course still had E&O insurance, MLS fees, the normal costs you have to take on.From what I THOUGHT I have seen, the agent paid a sum to buy into the company.

Wow, that is not the way I understood it. I understood it to be where the agent Bought into the company, and of course still had E&O insurance, MLS fees, the normal costs you have to take on.From what I THOUGHT I have seen, the agent paid a sum to buy into the company.
I would contnue to pay my own MLS fees. They charge $10-15 per sale for E&O. All revenues are split on contracted basis depending on who got original lead (me or the brokerage). It seems this is very different from what you thought it was. I am talking to BnB tomorrow to detail the numbers, we could conference you in if you wnat.

I would contnue to pay my own MLS fees. They charge $10-15 per sale for E&O. All revenues are split on contracted basis depending on who got original lead (me or the brokerage). It seems this is very different from what you thought it was. I am talking to BnB tomorrow to detail the numbers, we could conference you in if you wnat.
I want to understand what the other shoe dropping would be, but from that info, it seems like a solid path.We are under a Broker who gives us a 70% share of any sale, and absolutely thrilled with that as we are just waiting out the time for my Wife to get a Brokers license. I would have to run a few more numbers above and beyond the chicken scratch in front of me right now, but it seems solid.

Where is the catch? Surely you have found a negative?

My Coin Operated Laundy Update:

I bought my FIRST ever Coin Op Machines in December, but didn't have them close to running until sort of the end of January.

Let me get this out of the way up front: I pay the water, and I pay the electric for this service. Two 2-bedroom units use this laundry. It's a Buck a Wash, and a Buck a Dry, although I will be raising it to $1.25 each soon, as that is still below market.

Got a great deal as Lowe's was closing out their Coin Op Laundry, and picked up a Brand new set for basically $700.00 (Regularly $1,300.00 New)

$114.00 for the month of June.

$145.00 May

$100.00 April

$138.00 March

$86.00 February

$28.00 January (Partial Month)

That brings me to $611.00 in 5.5 Months.

I have a Local appliance store here that will sell a Used Coin Op Washer/Electric Dryer set to me for $600.00

It's finally time to buy another set for another unit.

I am going to buy more as they pay for themselves, and yes I understand there are other costs involved, but this is the plan.

I should have bought Coin Op Laundry machines YEARS ago. I will update next month.

I want to understand what the other shoe dropping would be, but from that info, it seems like a solid path.We are under a Broker who gives us a 70% share of any sale, and absolutely thrilled with that as we are just waiting out the time for my Wife to get a Brokers license. I would have to run a few more numbers above and beyond the chicken scratch in front of me right now, but it seems solid.

Where is the catch? Surely you have found a negative?
The negative is that if I fall into a half million dollar listing, the seller commission tops out at $5k as opposed to the traditional $15K (before the comparable brokerage rake). But to me that's outweighed by the fact that if I go to the trouble to post a new listing, i get a non-refundable fee comparble to my appraisal fee just for putting it up. As I have stated before, it seems to me that fact should limit my dealing to serious people who know they are going to buy/sell and are willing to put up some front money to save a ton at the closing table.Another possible negative is that full fee brokers may shun or boycott our listings. I hear this sometimes happens, although it can be illegal and is certainly unethical (failure to serve the best interests of your client).

Users who are viewing this thread