What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (1 Viewer)

Another question, not to hijack my own thread...Are other RE investors who are looking for rental properties buying right now, or just waiting for the dust to settle, with the understanding that it might take a year or two?
Depends on where you are in the country.With the current market slowing down and lenders getting cold feet (that'll kill a market), you have to get creative to sell property now.So, lenders are tightening lending rules. That means fewer can buy. That means more have to rent (or buy on terms / lease option / owner financing). This increased demand in rentals will drive rental rates (and demand for rentals in general) up.

Self serving :lol: bump
What is your original rate on your mortgage? There is plenty of times that even though an equity rate may be higher it does not make sense to pay for closing costs and potentially increase your rate on the balance of your current 1st. Typically mortgage brokers do not deal in Equities unless they are doing an 80/20 purchase etc and hence it is not an option they will bring up- they want the bigger 1st mortgage re-fi. Just something to bring up that since you did not address it in your post. It could very well be that doing the re-fi will make sense but you want to make sure you look at all your options.
My current rate is 4.85%, 15 year loan, which is about $1,634 a month, including tax and insurance. I'm only doing the loan to increase my monthly cash flow, cash out for the purchase of a couple of properties, and liquidity. The interest only mortgage is THE way to finance rental real estate property, that I understand, I'm just trying to figure out how much risk I want to take on, while I'm just getting my feet wet. I have a six month nest egg for emergencies, etc, etc.
Run the numbers between what you want to do and getting a Equity product behind your current first. You have a very good fixed rate that I would try to keep rather than pay closing costs on re-fi to pull money out. Like I said before, a mortgage broker is less likely to give you this option because they do not like messing with (or some do not do at all) Equity Loans or Lines of Credit. Like I said, run the numbers but here are a few thoughts....1) Do you really want to lose that 4.85% fixed rate and pay closing costs to have an interest only option payment on the whole amount? An Equity Line of Credit will give you an interest only option on the balance of what you are using for the rental property. 2) Do you really want to raise your rate on 150K first to get a lower rate on 90K and pay closing costs? An equity could keep your first as is, meet your needs that you want with the rental, and with no closing costs (usually- depends on lender of course) 3) What are your plans at the end of the 5 year? Are you selling both your primary and rental properties and paying that off or do you plan on re-fi then or do you plan on rolling the dice on the interest rate fluctuation? I would find it odd if you were planning on selling both properties within five years so I am assuming you are going to re-fi at the 5 years. Which means more closing costs and possibly a higher rate (remember, even current rates are historically LOW) Not saying either way is better or worst but I do think you want to revisit your plans and make sure what you are doing is actually best for you.
:lmao:

Another question, not to hijack my own thread...Are other RE investors who are looking for rental properties buying right now, or just waiting for the dust to settle, with the understanding that it might take a year or two?
Always looking to buy, but being very picky. Cap rates here aren't very good. The foreclousure market here isn't the best. I'm seeing this activity mostly in new neighborhoods in mass in marginal locations. The problem becomes what to do with the home when there are numerous others on the market or up for rent.I'd suggest expanding your search area. I visited Mike and got a good education.
What area are you focusing on? Are you on the west coast?
I work out of Charlotte. Have expanded my search into the western part of the state. Visited Mike and am giving consideration to investing in the mecca of civilization.
You looking all the way to Asheville? I've heard good things about Asheville, but I wouldn't know personally.I'm actually warming to Mobile Home Parks in that area.

Damn, I wish I could find something with that kind of cap rate, I'm looking at 225k+ for a duplex that will pull out $1,400 gross everymonth, ugh. Cap rates are 4-7% on average around here.
I'm about to put my 4 unit on the market at about 7.5% here in Maryland. :shrug:All depends on where you are.Californians would kill for 5% last I heard.

I'm considering purchasing a townhouse near a beach in SC for around $500,000. From looking at the mortgage calculators, it seems we'd be paying $3,000 a month, perhaps more (depending on the rate of course). I can easily get $50k down, might be able to swing $100k if I got my families involved - I believe at least one side would be interested. Does only putting 10% down hurt? I wouldn't be able to use a VA loan here (I'm pretty sure). It would be primarily an investment, but also a vacation home. Right now, he's able to get $1200 a week and rents it out around 40 weeks per year. (so roughly $50,000 in rentals - fees) There will be property management fees involved, but I'm researching how much those will run. Also, we'd want to refurbish the house, buy some new furniture, etc. We LOVE the location, this will be the 2nd summer we've rented this place. I suspect if we update the look, we'd be able to pull in around $1400 a week. What do I need to know, think about, consider, etc. before pursuing? For what it's worth, this would knock out our stock, but not touch our retirement.
Ignoring the down payment, you are looking at roughly $3200 per month on $500K. You will need to add on property taxes, insurance, and utilities to that number so you will be looking at roughly $4000 a month or $48000 a year. I would suspect that property management will run you roughly 40% of the take which should include cleaning and linens. Your $50K gross will end up being closer to $30K net. That leaves you out of pocket $1500 a month. Now my real concern. That area has sky rocketed in value over the last 2-4 years. I would expect this property was worth $200K five years ago. I don't know the area in detail, but tread carefully here. Florida money was partially driving this market and the market there is crap. We may not have seen a peak, but I wouldn't be counting on huge appreciation.Just for ref, I have a vary good acquaintance that bought into the NC mountains for $225 and refurbed for $25K. 2200 sf single family with country club membership included. His monthly outflow is $1800/mon or $22,000 per year. He's looking at $15,000 net after fees for the first year, second year should be break even. The property would sell for $325-$350K after the upgrades and he sees further appreciation opportunity.I guess I wanted to emphasize that appreciation is a key component for any of these vacation rentals to work long term.
:shrug: Somehow I knew a "vacation home in the Carolinas" post would be covered quickly here. ;)

Hi... looking for some advice here. I bought a townhouse in South Jersey almost 2 years ago with a friend... we were looking to get some equity instead of renting. So fast forward to now, I've since moved out and bought a new house with my girlfriend. My friend is living at the townhouse with his girlfriend, she is paying me rent however it does not cover 100% of my mortgage payment. I pay approx $150 a month now for the townhouse. The new house I bought needs some work, and I'd like to get some cash from somewhere to improve the kitchen (let's say 10k needed). My friend has contemplated buying me out, however that doesn't seem to benefit him... he'd refinance and get a higher interest rate, higher payment and I would get say 10-12k out of the house. We bought for 171 and could most likely sell for 192 now. I have not been in my new house for a year yet, so it is not possible to get equity out of this house yet... but that is coming in August. Countrywide is telling me I could also refinance now due to lower rates of FHA and save about $85 a month on mortgage payment. So I feel a tad overwhelmed. *My friend isn't quite ready to sell and I do not see the selling points that would make him want to sell to me and assume higher interest, payments...*I want 10k to redo my new kitchen*I am only 8 months into the mortgage for the new house and have opportunity to refinance the interest rate right now to save $85 a monthI am not sure if I have provided all of the relevant info, but I am looking for some advice.... what is the best move at this time. Should I just hang onto the townhouse and hope he is ready to move out within the next year and we just sell it and split the earnings? Are there major benefits to him buying me out? Any other better ways to get 10k for the kitchen?I bought the new house for approx 230 and other houses on the street have recently sold for 270... so I am not sure what I could have the house re-appraised for. I did totally redo the living room and downstairs powder room. Also, I'd prob plan to live here for 5-7 years and right now I am in an interest only loan. Thanks!
Breathe.Two houses correct? One will give you what you need (10K for the new kitchen) in August - but really, is that the best move?Go to Home Depot or a contractor and get a budget / estimate to do the kitchen. Work out a payment plan to get that done. Don't refi the house for 10K - you'll lose $ on the refi. You don't necessarily have to wait 12 months anymore to refi by the way, and the reason I just contradicted myself is I see an interest only (I/O) loan. Those are going belly up fast anymore, so I know why Countrywide contacted you. You may want to consider that option through them as it is (A) cheaper and (B) can get you in a fixed rate.As for the kitchen - finance it another way. Credit card would be cheaper (if you paid it in a year or two) - seriously. You'd need discipline if you did that, but you'd be richer than a full blown refi.Talk to Countrywide, tell them what you want, they likely will listen. They'll re-appraise and may waive all costs to move you to a fixed rate (which benefits them).Now, the second house. He wants it, you want him to buy it. Is this correct?Contact a real estate attorney and tell them that you want to give him the full rights to the property in exchange for your equity. Likely you'll deed the property over to him (quit claim) and the attorney will either ask them to pay you a lump sum (which they don't have) - or you can take it as a second mortgage and they will make payments to you.I'd take the 2nd and make it as short as possible. They basically would owe you 10K, so take a 10K note and have them give you $500 a month for 24 months and you're done. If that's too much, work out an 8-10% note for 3-4 years. (10% should be attainable as you're in a higher risk position with a 2nd mortgage) - but at least you have $ coming to you and the property is theirs.The benefits to them are HUGE - no refi, loan stays in place, and you get paid.Now, if the original loan is in your name, talk to the attorney about getting you off of that and protecting your credit.Good luck.

Does anyone have experience with new developments, condos in particular.

Aside from our building issues, we just found out that our Occupancy permit was never filed, we never passed a final inspection and no one in the building has been paying an electric bill for more than two years.

ComEd has never activated this property, our address is not on file with them and we have no meters installed.

We finally have an electrician on the case to help get our building approved, but I'm wondering how negligible the developer is in this case.

Anyone have insight or experience here? If so, I'll try to give more details.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread here. The debate on getting a buyer's agent is of interest to me, but with a twist -- what is the best way to work a deal when the real estate agent represents both buyer and seller, but the property isn't on the market yet?

The situation is:

--buying a home for mother-in-law

-- like the house that hasn't been listed the most

-- feel like it is overpriced in a soft market with lots of sellers

-- agent counters that they are very few homes that meet our requirements (ranch in a decent neighborhood with bath off master and not needing much work)

I recall some advice of being a pain in the ### to redirect the agent's efforts for a deal towards the seller. We have cash in hand and deal would not be contingent on us selling a different home.

What can we do to get the best deal here? All thoughts would be appreciated.

Always looking to buy, but being very picky. Cap rates here aren't very good. The foreclousure market here isn't the best. I'm seeing this activity mostly in new neighborhoods in mass in marginal locations. The problem becomes what to do with the home when there are numerous others on the market or up for rent.I'd suggest expanding your search area. I visited Mike and got a good education.
What area are you focusing on? Are you on the west coast?
I work out of Charlotte. Have expanded my search into the western part of the state. Visited Mike and am giving consideration to investing in the mecca of civilization.
You looking all the way to Asheville? I've heard good things about Asheville, but I wouldn't know personally.I'm actually warming to Mobile Home Parks in that area.
Asheville is too pricey for my tastes. I don't like chasing the crowds, prefer to be the guy trying to set the market. I guess I sucked at musical chairs as a kid. :popcorn:

Great thread here. The debate on getting a buyer's agent is of interest to me, but with a twist -- what is the best way to work a deal when the real estate agent represents both buyer and seller, but the property isn't on the market yet?

The situation is:

--buying a home for mother-in-law

-- like the house that hasn't been listed the most

-- feel like it is overpriced in a soft market with lots of sellers

-- agent counters that they are very few homes that meet our requirements (ranch in a decent neighborhood with bath off master and not needing much work)

I recall some advice of being a pain in the ### to redirect the agent's efforts for a deal towards the seller. We have cash in hand and deal would not be contingent on us selling a different home.

What can we do to get the best deal here? All thoughts would be appreciated.
This doesn't make any sense.How is it not on the market but an agent is involved?

Agents like to fit you into what they are comfy with - not work to your needs (usually). Sad but true.

You have to explain your situation better to get a better answer, sorry.

I hope this helps. The agent is a neighbor of the seller. The couple selling are selling both this home (one they bought for their elderly mother) and their own (which is next to the agent). Both are about to get listed.

They are in the process of cleaning it out and getting it ready for sale. They signed a contract with the agent to give her a 2-3 week period to sell the home before it officially gets listed. I am not sure of the exact details of this, but it essentially gives her a window to work something out first.

I hope this helps. The agent is a neighbor of the seller. The couple selling are selling both this home (one they bought for their elderly mother) and their own (which is next to the agent). Both are about to get listed.They are in the process of cleaning it out and getting it ready for sale. They signed a contract with the agent to give her a 2-3 week period to sell the home before it officially gets listed. I am not sure of the exact details of this, but it essentially gives her a window to work something out first.
I don't see how you have any bargaining power until the market sets the demand. Basically the only way you make out now is if they don't know what they have.

I hope this helps. The agent is a neighbor of the seller. The couple selling are selling both this home (one they bought for their elderly mother) and their own (which is next to the agent). Both are about to get listed.They are in the process of cleaning it out and getting it ready for sale. They signed a contract with the agent to give her a 2-3 week period to sell the home before it officially gets listed. I am not sure of the exact details of this, but it essentially gives her a window to work something out first.
Maybe one option here but it''s not much. Offered to buy both at a discount. Offer the agent comission on the one you want and agree to list the second with the same agent if they take no commission on the second deal when you buy it. Basically you get a nice discount, the orginal seller gets out immediately, the agent gets one commission immediately and the second down the road. You get the property you want cheaper and the the second cheap enough that you can move it immediately at a push.

Just bought my first home in the Bay Area. Got two loans on stated income (did not fib my income). Wondering how I did...

First is 80%, 6.25% fixed rate, interest only, thirty years. Paid for one point (actualy 3/4 point).

Second is 10%, 7.25%, HELOC, interest + principle. Balloon payment due after 15 years.

We're going to pay the second down as quickly as possible as the interest rate will increase with time.

How did I do? What should I be looking to do in the next one to three years?

I finally finished all 48 pages of this thread. Took me two weeks. Much better than actually doing work.

Has anyone here invested in tax lien certificates??? Advice? experiences?
These can be a great investment, or they can be crap. Really depends (lawyer answer, I know).Find out what the rules are in each city / county. Some are 18%, some are higher, many are lower.

Some bundle them into groups - which suxx0r - that's the game Baltimore plays. They put junk all together, so even if there's a good property in there, it could be grouped with 10 boardups.

Now, some late night gurus will tell you this is how to buy a house for pennies on the dollar (and they are factually correct). Unfortunately, they don't tell you the whole truth, and that VERY FEW tax liens ever get to a sale (in most areas of the country).

Now if you are buying PROPERTY at a tax sale, where even my grandparents bought a house once for just the back taxes - that is pure $ right there. Those aren't that common where I am (if at all).

Liens are bills a buyer or seller must pay before clearing title. These mostly are bought not with the intention of getting the real estate, but getting the interest.

Not a bad way to put $ to work, but hard money lenders often do better.
Jeff...HoCo yearly tax sale goes this Thursday, May 24...10AM @Geo Howard BldgIf I would get one of these properties, how do I collect the 18% we speak of here?

From the auction web site:

"The successful bidder will earn interest at a rate of 18%/yr from the day of the tax sale until the property is redeemed"

This implies the owner, who could not meet the tax burden in a timely fashion, now has to pony up the back taxes, interest of 18%, any new taxes due, plus accumulated fees... "If the property is redeemed after 4 months of the sale, bidder may charge legal fees and expences to the property owner"

Seems to me there would be a decent number of folks not able to pull this off, given the current market :banned:

I finally finished all 48 pages of this thread. Took me two weeks. Much better than actually doing work.

Has anyone here invested in tax lien certificates??? Advice? experiences?
These can be a great investment, or they can be crap. Really depends (lawyer answer, I know).Find out what the rules are in each city / county. Some are 18%, some are higher, many are lower.

Some bundle them into groups - which suxx0r - that's the game Baltimore plays. They put junk all together, so even if there's a good property in there, it could be grouped with 10 boardups.

Now, some late night gurus will tell you this is how to buy a house for pennies on the dollar (and they are factually correct). Unfortunately, they don't tell you the whole truth, and that VERY FEW tax liens ever get to a sale (in most areas of the country).

Now if you are buying PROPERTY at a tax sale, where even my grandparents bought a house once for just the back taxes - that is pure $ right there. Those aren't that common where I am (if at all).

Liens are bills a buyer or seller must pay before clearing title. These mostly are bought not with the intention of getting the real estate, but getting the interest.

Not a bad way to put $ to work, but hard money lenders often do better.
Jeff...HoCo yearly tax sale goes this Thursday, May 24...10AM @Geo Howard BldgIf I would get one of these properties, how do I collect the 18% we speak of here?

From the auction web site:

"The successful bidder will earn interest at a rate of 18%/yr from the day of the tax sale until the property is redeemed"

This implies the owner, who could not meet the tax burden in a timely fashion, now has to pony up the back taxes, interest of 18%, any new taxes due, plus accumulated fees... "If the property is redeemed after 4 months of the sale, bidder may charge legal fees and expences to the property owner"

Seems to me there would be a decent number of folks not able to pull this off, given the current market :D
You have to bid on the tax certificates, and that bid is usually>>> than the property value. The bid, IIRC, is what you'd have to pay if / when you bought the property. Since most go over Fair Market Value (FMV) it is really stupid bidding. I think there's now a cap in place (people used to bid like billions on one house - one guy bid a googol - seriously) to stop stupid bids, but they still happen.

You're buying a tax lien that has a certain face value (past due taxes) and then you get it redeemed if/when they pay the taxes. At this point, you have paid their taxes so the county is happy (and really couldn't care less if you buy the house or not). You are risking that they will pay you back plus interest - which happens over 98% of the time.

I finally finished all 48 pages of this thread. Took me two weeks. Much better than actually doing work.Has anyone here invested in tax lien certificates??? Advice? experiences?
These can be a great investment, or they can be crap. Really depends (lawyer answer, I know).Find out what the rules are in each city / county. Some are 18%, some are higher, many are lower.Some bundle them into groups - which suxx0r - that's the game Baltimore plays. They put junk all together, so even if there's a good property in there, it could be grouped with 10 boardups.Now, some late night gurus will tell you this is how to buy a house for pennies on the dollar (and they are factually correct). Unfortunately, they don't tell you the whole truth, and that VERY FEW tax liens ever get to a sale (in most areas of the country).Now if you are buying PROPERTY at a tax sale, where even my grandparents bought a house once for just the back taxes - that is pure $ right there. Those aren't that common where I am (if at all).Liens are bills a buyer or seller must pay before clearing title. These mostly are bought not with the intention of getting the real estate, but getting the interest.Not a bad way to put $ to work, but hard money lenders often do better.
Like Jeff said, depends on the area. Here in the Mecca, you can almost expect that you will own the property in question after a year. There is always a strong chance. The Tax sales here are unlike anything else I have researched out there. I actually thought everywhere worked like the Fort before I heard one of the Tax lein guys speak at one of the Trump Expo weekends. I would much prefer the good rate of return over the property.

proninja said:
I'm looking for some advice on a refi to pull some equity out for further real estate advice. I'm taking about 90k cash out, to put into two or three duplex/triplex properties.I'm taking out a interest only loan, five year fixed. I've noticed if I go straight intest only, it's about a half a point cheaper than getting the option loan, giving me the flexability of just making the minimum payment. My plan is to always pay the full interest, so I don't acrue any neg am, although having the option is nice. Crunching the numbers, I'd be paying about 20% premium on the loan, on the ability to pull out those extra funds each month (Interest only vs Interest Only Option).Being able to pull out an additional $500 or so a month would be nice, to put into other real estate, etc, but I'm thinking overall, I'll probably just go with the regular interest only loan, as it would save me about 5k over the five year period. Your thoughts?mid credit 729, current loan balance 157k, appraised 325, new loan 260, pull out roughly 90k. Looking at the interest only 5 year fixed at 5.875, with no points, as the broker is making 1.6875% on the backend (I'm signing the 3 year prepay penalty).Thoughts, advice? I'm getting into rentals for the first time, and want to be aggresive, but not reckless. The Portland, Oregon market is such that the 1% rule could NEVER be found, it's more like .5, and those are the good ones. Seriously, 5-7% cap rates, unless you want to be a slum lord.
Well, if it makes sense to actually do the refi, which we're only going to know when we know what your long term goal is. Always work from the back forward.If the board will allow me some gratuitious self promotion, as I am a loan guy licensed in Oregon, I will continue. Pasquino, just delete this if you don't want it here.First, I hope you got those rates this afternoon, because rates have climbed the last few days, and there were even a few re-prices this afternoon. If you're locked, congratulations. If you're not, that rate's gone up an eighth to a quarter percent.I can do a hybrid neg am at 6.125%, 0 points, me taking 1.25% on the back on a 5 year arm with that same 3 year prepay. The minimum payment is 1% fully amortized, and your rate doesn't adjust until after the 5 year mark. It's a pretty cool program.I can do a straight 5 year interest only arm at 6.125% with no prepay with that same 1.25% on the back. I hate prepayment penalties, especially for real estate investors. A lot can change in 3 years. I'm paying off two prepayment penalties this month where it really does make sense for the people to refi, and it just makes me feel ill.If the numbers pencil out better (I'm happy to help if you're interested) I can add a line of credit up to 90% of the value of your home (giving you $135k or so to play with) at prime -.375 with closing costs, or prime even with all but a few hundred bucks of your closing costs paid. I'm not exactly excited about this option, but I'd do it if it means first shot at your investment business down the road. That, well, and you're a FBG. The cool part about this is you don't actually pay the interest until you find a home to buy, and you only pay interest on what you need to use. The other thing it lets you do is use your cash on hand that's not earning a return and use the LOC as your emergency fund. If it were me, I'd probably go this route until I figured out what I was going to buy. This'll give your home a little time to appreciate, and you won't spend a bunch of interest on borrowing money you're not using. Then, when you're done, refinance that first mortgage if you see fit.I figured I'd do this here, I don't want to be that guy slithering around in PM's. I actually just stopped in to say hi since it's been a while since I popped in, so hi all, and I'll catch you later.
I believe it is completely appropriate for ProNinja to post this here, and would invite him to do it more often. This is not an endorsement from FBGs.com. It is based on the fact that PN has been posting in this thread for what seems like years now :thumbup: and provides valuable information regularly. This very same thought would carry out to others who can help professionally that have been contributing to this thread forever now. I will personally delete any promotions posted in this thread where we haven't seen you before, you don't provide insight, help, etc. Jeff is free to set policy if that conflicts with his thoughts.Might not be fair, but that's the way it is, and I'm comfortable with that. None of this post represents FBGs.com in any way.PN, thank you for your post. It gets people thinking and asking questions. If nothing else, it helps people know how to talk to their local Mortgage person. :thumbup:

I know this guy. Tried to sell me two properties over the last couple of years. His properties are really pretty trashy, structural damage, the worst buildings around, and he gravitates to rougher areas.

He's really more of a Land Contract guy than a LL, but he rarely if ever actually sells a property, so he's more of a LL who gets a monstrous Deposit (Option Fee)

He's always hustling every angle in an attempt to bring more of his family from over seas.

It's the second story down: fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/local/police/17251251.htm

1 arrested in brutal attack over building contract

A Fort Wayne man accused of beating another man, leaving him in critical condition in March 2006, was arrested Wednesday. Terry Clayton, 42, of the 3700block of Reed Street, is accused of beating Rudrappa Gunashekar during an argument March14, 2006, a court document said.

According to the document, Gunashekar went to pick up keys to a building Clayton’s mother had bought from him but had been ordered to give back after not fulfilling contract obligations.

Police were called to the building and found Gunashekar unresponsive with a swollen, bloody face. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition. He had a blown left eye socket and swelling to his brain, the document said.

Detectives interviewed Gunashekar after his condition improved. He told police he went to pick up the keys and that Clayton accused him of cheating people, and of taking money from him and his mother. He then began to hit him and would not stop. He said Clayton picked up a brick or rock from inside the building and continued to hit him on the face and head, the document said.

A witness also told police Clayton repeatedly struck Gunashekar, although Clayton denied being involved, the document said.

Clayton is being held on a charge of felony battery in the Allen County Lockup in lieu of $10,000 bail.

proninja said:
I can do a hybrid neg am at 6.125%, 0 points, me taking 1.25% on the back on a 5 year arm with that same 3 year prepay. The minimum payment is 1% fully amortized, and your rate doesn't adjust until after the 5 year mark. It's a pretty cool program.
What does that mean in layman's terms?

proninja said:
I'm looking for some advice on a refi to pull some equity out for further real estate advice. I'm taking about 90k cash out, to put into two or three duplex/triplex properties.I'm taking out a interest only loan, five year fixed. I've noticed if I go straight intest only, it's about a half a point cheaper than getting the option loan, giving me the flexability of just making the minimum payment. My plan is to always pay the full interest, so I don't acrue any neg am, although having the option is nice. Crunching the numbers, I'd be paying about 20% premium on the loan, on the ability to pull out those extra funds each month (Interest only vs Interest Only Option).Being able to pull out an additional $500 or so a month would be nice, to put into other real estate, etc, but I'm thinking overall, I'll probably just go with the regular interest only loan, as it would save me about 5k over the five year period. Your thoughts?mid credit 729, current loan balance 157k, appraised 325, new loan 260, pull out roughly 90k. Looking at the interest only 5 year fixed at 5.875, with no points, as the broker is making 1.6875% on the backend (I'm signing the 3 year prepay penalty).Thoughts, advice? I'm getting into rentals for the first time, and want to be aggresive, but not reckless. The Portland, Oregon market is such that the 1% rule could NEVER be found, it's more like .5, and those are the good ones. Seriously, 5-7% cap rates, unless you want to be a slum lord.
Well, if it makes sense to actually do the refi, which we're only going to know when we know what your long term goal is. Always work from the back forward.If the board will allow me some gratuitious self promotion, as I am a loan guy licensed in Oregon, I will continue. Pasquino, just delete this if you don't want it here.First, I hope you got those rates this afternoon, because rates have climbed the last few days, and there were even a few re-prices this afternoon. If you're locked, congratulations. If you're not, that rate's gone up an eighth to a quarter percent.I can do a hybrid neg am at 6.125%, 0 points, me taking 1.25% on the back on a 5 year arm with that same 3 year prepay. The minimum payment is 1% fully amortized, and your rate doesn't adjust until after the 5 year mark. It's a pretty cool program.I can do a straight 5 year interest only arm at 6.125% with no prepay with that same 1.25% on the back. I hate prepayment penalties, especially for real estate investors. A lot can change in 3 years. I'm paying off two prepayment penalties this month where it really does make sense for the people to refi, and it just makes me feel ill.If the numbers pencil out better (I'm happy to help if you're interested) I can add a line of credit up to 90% of the value of your home (giving you $135k or so to play with) at prime -.375 with closing costs, or prime even with all but a few hundred bucks of your closing costs paid. I'm not exactly excited about this option, but I'd do it if it means first shot at your investment business down the road. That, well, and you're a FBG. The cool part about this is you don't actually pay the interest until you find a home to buy, and you only pay interest on what you need to use. The other thing it lets you do is use your cash on hand that's not earning a return and use the LOC as your emergency fund. If it were me, I'd probably go this route until I figured out what I was going to buy. This'll give your home a little time to appreciate, and you won't spend a bunch of interest on borrowing money you're not using. Then, when you're done, refinance that first mortgage if you see fit.I figured I'd do this here, I don't want to be that guy slithering around in PM's. I actually just stopped in to say hi since it's been a while since I popped in, so hi all, and I'll catch you later.
I believe it is completely appropriate for ProNinja to post this here, and would invite him to do it more often. This is not an endorsement from FBGs.com. It is based on the fact that PN has been posting in this thread for what seems like years now :angry: and provides valuable information regularly. This very same thought would carry out to others who can help professionally that have been contributing to this thread forever now. I will personally delete any promotions posted in this thread where we haven't seen you before, you don't provide insight, help, etc. Jeff is free to set policy if that conflicts with his thoughts.Might not be fair, but that's the way it is, and I'm comfortable with that. None of this post represents FBGs.com in any way.PN, thank you for your post. It gets people thinking and asking questions. If nothing else, it helps people know how to talk to their local Mortgage person. :thumbdown:
totally agree. ninja is good peoples and knows the mortgage game inside out. It's great having a resource aboard who can actually let us know what he could do in real $ terms so that folks can compare his rates to what they can get locally. I've learned quite a bit from the regulars in this thread. Keep up the great work fellas. :thumbup: :REthreadlurker:

proninja said:
I'm looking for some advice on a refi to pull some equity out for further real estate advice. I'm taking about 90k cash out, to put into two or three duplex/triplex properties.

I'm taking out a interest only loan, five year fixed. I've noticed if I go straight intest only, it's about a half a point cheaper than getting the option loan, giving me the flexability of just making the minimum payment. My plan is to always pay the full interest, so I don't acrue any neg am, although having the option is nice. Crunching the numbers, I'd be paying about 20% premium on the loan, on the ability to pull out those extra funds each month (Interest only vs Interest Only Option).

Being able to pull out an additional $500 or so a month would be nice, to put into other real estate, etc, but I'm thinking overall, I'll probably just go with the regular interest only loan, as it would save me about 5k over the five year period. Your thoughts?

mid credit 729, current loan balance 157k, appraised 325, new loan 260, pull out roughly 90k. Looking at the interest only 5 year fixed at 5.875, with no points, as the broker is making 1.6875% on the backend (I'm signing the 3 year prepay penalty).

Thoughts, advice? I'm getting into rentals for the first time, and want to be aggresive, but not reckless. The Portland, Oregon market is such that the 1% rule could NEVER be found, it's more like .5, and those are the good ones. Seriously, 5-7% cap rates, unless you want to be a slum lord.
Well, if it makes sense to actually do the refi, which we're only going to know when we know what your long term goal is. Always work from the back forward.If the board will allow me some gratuitious self promotion, as I am a loan guy licensed in Oregon, I will continue. Pasquino, just delete this if you don't want it here.

First, I hope you got those rates this afternoon, because rates have climbed the last few days, and there were even a few re-prices this afternoon. If you're locked, congratulations. If you're not, that rate's gone up an eighth to a quarter percent.

I can do a hybrid neg am at 6.125%, 0 points, me taking 1.25% on the back on a 5 year arm with that same 3 year prepay. The minimum payment is 1% fully amortized, and your rate doesn't adjust until after the 5 year mark. It's a pretty cool program.

I can do a straight 5 year interest only arm at 6.125% with no prepay with that same 1.25% on the back. I hate prepayment penalties, especially for real estate investors. A lot can change in 3 years. I'm paying off two prepayment penalties this month where it really does make sense for the people to refi, and it just makes me feel ill.

If the numbers pencil out better (I'm happy to help if you're interested) I can add a line of credit up to 90% of the value of your home (giving you $135k or so to play with) at prime -.375 with closing costs, or prime even with all but a few hundred bucks of your closing costs paid. I'm not exactly excited about this option, but I'd do it if it means first shot at your investment business down the road. That, well, and you're a FBG. The cool part about this is you don't actually pay the interest until you find a home to buy, and you only pay interest on what you need to use. The other thing it lets you do is use your cash on hand that's not earning a return and use the LOC as your emergency fund. If it were me, I'd probably go this route until I figured out what I was going to buy. This'll give your home a little time to appreciate, and you won't spend a bunch of interest on borrowing money you're not using. Then, when you're done, refinance that first mortgage if you see fit.

I figured I'd do this here, I don't want to be that guy slithering around in PM's. I actually just stopped in to say hi since it's been a while since I popped in, so hi all, and I'll catch you later.
I believe it is completely appropriate for ProNinja to post this here, and would invite him to do it more often. This is not an endorsement from FBGs.com. It is based on the fact that PN has been posting in this thread for what seems like years now ;) and provides valuable information regularly. This very same thought would carry out to others who can help professionally that have been contributing to this thread forever now. I will personally delete any promotions posted in this thread where we haven't seen you before, you don't provide insight, help, etc. Jeff is free to set policy if that conflicts with his thoughts.

Might not be fair, but that's the way it is, and I'm comfortable with that. None of this post represents FBGs.com in any way.

PN, thank you for your post. It gets people thinking and asking questions. If nothing else, it helps people know how to talk to their local Mortgage person.

:unsure:
If your looking at these hybred neg am ARM's get all the facts from the loan officer. With my dealings in the mortgage industry I have seen my share of horror stories with these neg am's. First off the loans usually have 3 payment types first option is the super low rate such as let's say 3.99%, second option is the interest only payment and third option is the fully amortized such as a 30 year payment. Now the kicker is the interest only payment is what this program is geared for, so if you elect to make that super low payment option then the difference betwen that payment and the interest only payment heads to your principle balance. So let's say for example the difference in the two payments is $500 and you elect the low payment option over 24 months you will owe 12k more or let's say on a 200K loan amount it now becomes a 212k balance after the 24 months. I have had a number of people trying to refinance from these but were unable due to the prepayment and owing more the the appraised value. While these Hybred Arm's are ok in some situations, most consumers are never warned about these things from the loan officers thus a problem. Not to step on this posters toes, but just giving my 2 cents. Most important thing anyone buying or refinancing is to get educated and get more then one estimate. HTH

wow, 2500 posts and when I search for "Kentucky" I get nothing. ;)

We're considering a few options with real estate investing right now.

1. Purchase a home near Ft. Campbell and renting to Soldiers. One advantage here is they have guaranteed income and I can require an automatic payment. Another is my job leads itself well into this market. A third is there's enough shady LL's here that a good LL who gives a #### about them will help in the long run.

2. Purchasing land near Land between the Lakes, purely as a purcursor to settling there in 6-14 years. In the meantime, we'd have a vacation house / property. We wouldn't make as much here, but we'd have something we want.

Thoughts?

wow, 2500 posts and when I search for "Kentucky" I get nothing. :lmao:We're considering a few options with real estate investing right now.1. Purchase a home near Ft. Campbell and renting to Soldiers. One advantage here is they have guaranteed income and I can require an automatic payment. Another is my job leads itself well into this market. A third is there's enough shady LL's here that a good LL who gives a #### about them will help in the long run.2. Purchasing land near Land between the Lakes, purely as a purcursor to settling there in 6-14 years. In the meantime, we'd have a vacation house / property. We wouldn't make as much here, but we'd have something we want.Thoughts?
Both sound like reasonable plans.I'd still get a go-between for the rent / phone calls though as a new LL. (Even as an experienced one, I don't want the phone calls).

My dad is selling his business plus the othe two buildings on the property. He's doing a sell-by-owner thing. It's one lot with 2 two-story buildings and a building that's a 4 car garage. He's been having trouble selling it since not many people want both buildings. They either want the building with the business on the first floor or the 2 family brick.

Well this weekend, a woman calls us and says that she is willing to make a down payment and then make monthly payments to my dad in order to pay off the property. Basically, my dad is giving her a mortgage to pay.

Has anyone ever done or heard of this? Is it a legit proposition or is she trying to scam my dad in any way? Thanks!

My dad is selling his business plus the othe two buildings on the property. He's doing a sell-by-owner thing. It's one lot with 2 two-story buildings and a building that's a 4 car garage. He's been having trouble selling it since not many people want both buildings. They either want the building with the business on the first floor or the 2 family brick. Well this weekend, a woman calls us and says that she is willing to make a down payment and then make monthly payments to my dad in order to pay off the property. Basically, my dad is giving her a mortgage to pay. Has anyone ever done or heard of this? Is it a legit proposition or is she trying to scam my dad in any way? Thanks!
Sounds like a Land Contract.

Rates on 30-Year Mortgages Jump

Thursday June 7, 10:45 am ET

By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer

Rates on 30-Year Mortgages Jump to the Highest Level in 10 Months

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rates on 30-year mortgages rose for a fourth straight week, hitting the highest level in 10 months, as bond markets responded to strong employment growth.

Mortgage giant Freddie Mac reported Thursday that 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages averaged 6.53 percent this week. That was up sharply from 6.42 percent last week and represented the highest point for 30-year mortgages since they averaged 6.55 percent on Aug. 10.

Analysts attributed the increase to recent signs of economic strength outside of the slumping housing market including last week's report that the economy created 157,000 jobs in May, nearly double the April pace.

"Mortgage rates climbed this week owing to market concerns of a tight labor force and wage growth," said Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac's chief economist.

He said that bond markets have also grown concerned about renewed inflation pressures, reflected in a report this week that unit labor costs rose at a 1.8 percent annual rate in the first three months of this year, double the government's initial estimate.

Financial markets were also disappointed this week by comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, who repeated his view that inflation still represented a bigger threat to the economy than weak growth. The comments were seen as further diminishing the chances for a Fed rate cut any time soon.

All mortgage rates tracked by Freddie Mac showed increases this week.

Rates on 15-year, fixed-rate mortgages, a popular choice for refinancing, rose to 6.22 percent, up from 6.12 percent last week.

Five-year adjustable-rate mortgages averaged 6.24 percent, up from 6.19 percent.

One-year adjustable mortgages rose to 5.65 percent, up from 5.57 percent last week.

The mortgage rates do not include add-on fees known as points. Thirty-year and 15-year mortgages each carried a nationwide average fee of 0.4 point. Five-year adjustable mortgages carried a fee of 0.6 point while one-year ARMs had a fee of 0.7 point.

Well, 327 days after we bought it, we finally closed yesterday on the flip (maybe I should call it a roll bc it took so long). The last month has been a little stressful. Got an accepted offer about 2 months ago and had a closing date a month later but there was a problem.

There ended up being a "clout" on the title which took some time to clean up. Apparently the attny that filed the deed with our county did it wrong. It had to be refiled before it could be released for transfer.

The buyers were very cooperative (didn't have much choice as they had sold their residence prior to this) and paid me rent until we could close.

Overall it was a very trying experience but it was well worth it as my brother (the one that did all the rehab work) and I cleared 17,500.

I look forward to the next one and really want to thank everyone here especially Mike. I owe you a beer.

Well, 327 days after we bought it, we finally closed yesterday on the flip (maybe I should call it a roll bc it took so long). The last month has been a little stressful. Got an accepted offer about 2 months ago and had a closing date a month later but there was a problem.

There ended up being a "clout" on the title which took some time to clean up. Apparently the attny that filed the deed with our county did it wrong. It had to be refiled before it could be released for transfer.

The buyers were very cooperative (didn't have much choice as they had sold their residence prior to this) and paid me rent until we could close.

Overall it was a very trying experience but it was well worth it as my brother (the one that did all the rehab work) and I cleared 17,500.

I look forward to the next one and really want to thank everyone here especially Mike. I owe you a beer.
:rant: Sorry, but the term is "cloud". It was a "clouded title".

Other than that, good post.

As for making $17,500 in a year - well, how much money did you invest??

Private lending may be a better alternative for that level of return (and less stressful).

My dad is selling his business plus the othe two buildings on the property. He's doing a sell-by-owner thing. It's one lot with 2 two-story buildings and a building that's a 4 car garage. He's been having trouble selling it since not many people want both buildings. They either want the building with the business on the first floor or the 2 family brick. Well this weekend, a woman calls us and says that she is willing to make a down payment and then make monthly payments to my dad in order to pay off the property. Basically, my dad is giving her a mortgage to pay. Has anyone ever done or heard of this? Is it a legit proposition or is she trying to scam my dad in any way? Thanks!
Sounds like a Land Contract.
All depends on the deal structure.This could be "rent to own", or a "land contract", or a "wrap" (a new mortgage which pays an underlying mortgage), or "owner financing". All depends.Deal structure is VERY important. VERY.Where is this property, by the way?

:lmao: Sorry, but the term is "cloud". It was a "clouded title".

Other than that, good post.

Private lending may be a better alternative for that level of return (and less stressful).
Total investment was 100,190.83. Actual cash invested was 13,517.02. Everything else was on credit. In the next year our goal is to do two houses. How does the private lending thing work?

Trying to help out a buddy of mine who is looking for a very specific type of home.

He's 56, wants single floor living with someone else taking care of the property. He's lower mobility, so less steps, etc. is important.

He's looking into 55+ communities, but not solely, and he's having trouble finding a comprehensive list of them that are in Bucks County, PA - primarily "Lower Bucks".

Anyone have an idea where he could get this info that isn't through a realtor he'd have to contact & deal with right now - he's not ready to move this year, most likely.

Well, 327 days after we bought it, we finally closed yesterday on the flip (maybe I should call it a roll bc it took so long). The last month has been a little stressful. Got an accepted offer about 2 months ago and had a closing date a month later but there was a problem.There ended up being a "clout" on the title which took some time to clean up. Apparently the attny that filed the deed with our county did it wrong. It had to be refiled before it could be released for transfer.The buyers were very cooperative (didn't have much choice as they had sold their residence prior to this) and paid me rent until we could close.Overall it was a very trying experience but it was well worth it as my brother (the one that did all the rehab work) and I cleared 17,500.I look forward to the next one and really want to thank everyone here especially Mike. I owe you a beer.
It's Cloud, your Title was "Cloudy"Most Excellent! $17.5K anyway you can get it, certainly when someone else does all the heavy lifting, is fantastic! Do that 10 times a year, and quit the day job. ;)

Mike:

Do you think it's pretty easy to make $50K a year in investment RE? I ask due to your last post.

I've actually gotten my expenses down to around $1500/month, so I'm looking to switch out from the crazy hours I have doing accounting/IT work.

I have a really prime setup to make a change:

1. No debt, other than this months CC & bills. No car, no mortgage.

2. 7K banked in emergency funds of varying lengths.

3. No dependents.

4. Hate my current job.

5. Very marketable to take a freelance/consulting gig for a month or two if things aren't going well.

I'm not super skilled with tools, but I have access to some friends who I help with their houses who are - I'm also good at demo, and I know how to re-do a house on the cheap.

Location is Phily, PA suburbs. Market is mostly fine here.

I'd also think about going into selling RE - not sure how much that pays, but I need 30-35K before taxes to live comfortably.

Well, 327 days after we bought it, we finally closed yesterday on the flip (maybe I should call it a roll bc it took so long). The last month has been a little stressful. Got an accepted offer about 2 months ago and had a closing date a month later but there was a problem.There ended up being a "clout" on the title which took some time to clean up. Apparently the attny that filed the deed with our county did it wrong. It had to be refiled before it could be released for transfer.The buyers were very cooperative (didn't have much choice as they had sold their residence prior to this) and paid me rent until we could close.Overall it was a very trying experience but it was well worth it as my brother (the one that did all the rehab work) and I cleared 17,500.I look forward to the next one and really want to thank everyone here especially Mike. I owe you a beer.
It's Cloud, your Title was "Cloudy"Most Excellent! $17.5K anyway you can get it, certainly when someone else does all the heavy lifting, is fantastic! Do that 10 times a year, and quit the day job. ;)
10 would be awesome, we're going for two in the next 12 months.

Trying to help out a buddy of mine who is looking for a very specific type of home.

He's 56, wants single floor living with someone else taking care of the property. He's lower mobility, so less steps, etc. is important.

He's looking into 55+ communities, but not solely, and he's having trouble finding a comprehensive list of them that are in Bucks County, PA - primarily "Lower Bucks".

Anyone have an idea where he could get this info that isn't through a realtor he'd have to contact & deal with right now - he's not ready to move this year, most likely.
Just for a starting point you could look at the advanced search on realtor.com.http://homes.realtor.com/options/advanceds...?ml=3&typ=7

Under "More options" there is # of stories and even a checkbox for disability features. You can enter a specific zip code (and also ask for nearby zip codes).

Random said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
As for making $17,500 in a year - well, how much money did you invest??Private lending may be a better alternative for that level of return (and less stressful).
Total investment was 100,190.83. Actual cash invested was 13,517.02. Everything else was on credit. In the next year our goal is to do two houses. How does the private lending thing work?
Private lending is when / where you agree (legally, all documented) to loan either a business or an investor money for a defined price and timeframe.For example, an investor may be happy with 10% interest if he doesn't have to do anything but write a check. The investor wins by having access to funds to use to put together deals.The lender wins by getting his money to work for him with no hassle.This is how many Hard Money Lenders (HMLs) get started.Are there risks? Sure. You have to trust the person(s)/business you're investing in and make sure that you are covered legally for your money. But believe me, investors with private money access get a lot more deals done that way, and getting $10k on $100k without ever having to do any real work is a nice feeling.Each case is specific, and I don't want to speak in particulars (STAFF DISCLAIMER - post 1), but if you want to know more just email me and I can fill you in.

JaxBill said:
stevegamer said:

Just for a starting point you could look at the advanced search on realtor.com.http://homes.realtor.com/options/advanceds...?ml=3&typ=7

Under "More options" there is # of stories and even a checkbox for disability features. You can enter a specific zip code (and also ask for nearby zip codes).
:shock: I'd also post in Craigslist as a "houses wanted" spot.

If you run an ad in the newspaper (Inquirer/Daily News) or a more local paper, you'll get calls.

Random said:
Mike Anderson said:
It's Cloud, your Title was "Cloudy"Most Excellent! $17.5K anyway you can get it, certainly when someone else does all the heavy lifting, is fantastic! Do that 10 times a year, and quit the day job. :wall:
10 would be awesome, we're going for two in the next 12 months.
Closing on three Properties this month in June. Scouting another 5 tomorrow. Seriously, RE is a Disease. :unsure:

Random said:
Jeff Pasquino said:

Private lending is when / where you agree (legally, all documented) to loan either a business or an investor money for a defined price and timeframe.For example, an investor may be happy with 10% interest if he doesn't have to do anything but write a check.

The investor wins by having access to funds to use to put together deals.

The lender wins by getting his money to work for him with no hassle.

This is how many Hard Money Lenders (HMLs) get started.

Are there risks? Sure. You have to trust the person(s)/business you're investing in and make sure that you are covered legally for your money. But believe me, investors with private money access get a lot more deals done that way, and getting $10k on $100k without ever having to do any real work is a nice feeling.

Each case is specific, and I don't want to speak in particulars (STAFF DISCLAIMER - post 1), but if you want to know more just email me and I can fill you in.
Google "Hard Money Lender". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_money_lender

stevegamer said:
Mike:Do you think it's pretty easy to make $50K a year in investment RE? I ask due to your last post.I've actually gotten my expenses down to around $1500/month, so I'm looking to switch out from the crazy hours I have doing accounting/IT work.I have a really prime setup to make a change:1. No debt, other than this months CC & bills. No car, no mortgage.2. 7K banked in emergency funds of varying lengths.3. No dependents.4. Hate my current job.5. Very marketable to take a freelance/consulting gig for a month or two if things aren't going well.I'm not super skilled with tools, but I have access to some friends who I help with their houses who are - I'm also good at demo, and I know how to re-do a house on the cheap.Location is Phily, PA suburbs. Market is mostly fine here.I'd also think about going into selling RE - not sure how much that pays, but I need 30-35K before taxes to live comfortably.
I typed out a big response to this, and just lost it to the computer gods. I'm exhausted and going to sleep. I'll be back to this question.What anyone who might answer this question is going to need to know is this:What's your Game plan? If it is buy $300K houses and rent them for $1,200 a month, then no, it won't be easy.Your Market will dictate what you can do. As an example, it would not be possible to do Volume flipping in my Market. One would not do well just buying and flipping here. I don't know Philly. I know that the guy that wrote one of the greatest RE books EVAH! operated out of Philly. ( "The Section 8 Bible" ) I wouldn't have operated in the Markets he did, but he made a FORTUNE in Philly. I don't do SUCKTION 8, but the ideas you can pull out of that book work everywhere. I am a better LL for reading it.Where you want to locate/operate in your market will dictate what you can do. You can't rent in high end areas very successfully. Low end areas are wastes for flipping, however, Gentrification is the RE investors very best friend. Be ahead of the curve.Coupled with the question above, what do you want to do? Flipping, Renting, Mortgage fraud, whatever. :kicksrock: Seriously though, what's your game plan? Every area in the country has lower end rentals, higher end rentals, repos, rehabs, various areas of any city perform differently. If you will provide more thoughts on your game plan, a number of RE professionals in this thread would most likely answer.Every RE professional out there at least a few times a month hears the comment "I want to make money in RE, how do I start" If you are going to do this, you need to give some thought to the game plan so better advice can be given.Random is my Favorite of the "Newer" RE guys as he has laid out his battle plan at almost every new step of the way as he thinks it should run, and asks for comments. It's easy to help someone like that, they give you something to work with.Outside of that, you seem well positioned. I would advise that you go and secure as much standing untouched credit as you can before you leave steady employment. That was one of my Mistakes. I should have gone after every lending intuition I could for available funds while I had a Job. Even a Shyster like HSBC or whatever it is that charges 20% interest. You don't have to use it, it can sit there for the time if you are ever desperate. I should have built up a few Signature (Unsecured) $15K lines of credit while I could have. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Wild thoughts running though my Head.

Katrina Cottages

These things cost about nothing, and come flat in a Kit. Normally the cost is in the Foundation and the Land, but I can pick up Buildable City lots with Utilities already run for a few Hundred bucks a pop. Foundation is a Slab. After doing a Few, it's not like it will be hard to build more.

In fact, I have been dreaming of owning a big area of land outside of normal zoning (Setbacks and such) and building my own Village with courtyards and the such.

Anyway, this has been rolling around in my head for a week plus, and I thought I would put "Pen to paper" to see how it looked out there.

Random said:
Jeff Pasquino said:

Private lending is when / where you agree (legally, all documented) to loan either a business or an investor money for a defined price and timeframe.For example, an investor may be happy with 10% interest if he doesn't have to do anything but write a check.

The investor wins by having access to funds to use to put together deals.

The lender wins by getting his money to work for him with no hassle.

This is how many Hard Money Lenders (HMLs) get started.

Are there risks? Sure. You have to trust the person(s)/business you're investing in and make sure that you are covered legally for your money. But believe me, investors with private money access get a lot more deals done that way, and getting $10k on $100k without ever having to do any real work is a nice feeling.

Each case is specific, and I don't want to speak in particulars (STAFF DISCLAIMER - post 1), but if you want to know more just email me and I can fill you in.
Google "Hard Money Lender". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_money_lender
HMLs <> Private Lenders Mike.

As for making $17,500 in a year - well, how much money did you invest??Private lending may be a better alternative for that level of return (and less stressful).
Private lending is when / where you agree (legally, all documented) to loan either a business or an investor money for a defined price and timeframe.For example, an investor may be happy with 10% interest if he doesn't have to do anything but write a check. The investor wins by having access to funds to use to put together deals.The lender wins by getting his money to work for him with no hassle.This is how many Hard Money Lenders (HMLs) get started.Are there risks? Sure. You have to trust the person(s)/business you're investing in and make sure that you are covered legally for your money. But believe me, investors with private money access get a lot more deals done that way, and getting $10k on $100k without ever having to do any real work is a nice feeling.Each case is specific, and I don't want to speak in particulars (STAFF DISCLAIMER - post 1), but if you want to know more just email me and I can fill you in.
but I only had 12-13k of my own money invested. I paid almost 9% on the rest of it. :lmao:

Jeff...

What do you know of this "SB761", as it pertains to short sales in our great state of Maryland?

I've read up on the process and think it can be a profitable enterprize, but horror stories from our state have me a little on edge.

Random said:
but I only had 12-13k of my own money invested. I paid almost 9% on the rest of it. :shrug:
Well that's different......I thought you had $100K of your own $ in the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread