What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (3 Viewers)

Man I need to get back out to Vegas.

We're definitely rooting for you Assani, and I expect to be able to point to one of the ESPN broadcasts and say, "Hey, I (kinda) know (of) that guy!".

Please be sure to update your blog when you can, there will be a bunch of us checking for updates. Plus when its all over, you'll have something to look back on... or use in your book about how you won $10MM at the WSOP. :D

Can anyone access cardplayer.com?

I'm wondering how good the updates are going to be--if we're going to be able to track Assani and others through there.

Event #2 results:

Assani sits down at his first ever WSOP event. Tomer Benvenisti is across the table, and Hoyt Corkins is directly to Assani's right. Nobody else is recognizable.

The event structure sucks- only 1500 starting chips and blinds going up every hour. Its basically a situation where if you flop top pair, theres a decent chance that you might have to just hope its good and commit yourself to it. For example, you have AQ and its raised preflop so theres about 200 in the pot. Flop comes Q high and your opponent bets the pot, you pretty much have to raise and find out where you're at(or check and bet the turn) and that could commit you to it. But anyway, ont the action...

Tomer is very active early, bullying the table a bit. Everyone else is average. Assani makes one bad bluff attempt(I actually think it was a good bluff attempt, but I shouldn't have tried it against a guy who I didn't know was a decent player). Final board read A-8-9-9-2, Assani bets the whole way with nothing. Guy calls him down with A8(he flopped 2 pair but was counterfeited and should've probably folded on the turn and river). Not that huge of a loss though, but noticeable.

The hand that did me in- Tomer Benvenisti has a slight chiplead at the table and Assani is the shortest stack having probably about a little less than 1/2 of Tomer's stack. Assani limps with AK in EP,one other limper, Tomer raises to 5x BB with AQ, Assani pushes for about 25-30 more BBs(in addittion to the 5 already in), Tomer calls. Flop comes Q-Q-9. Turn is another Q giving Tomer quads. Assani is sad.

Assani will most likely play in the $1500 PLHE event tomorrow.

The hand that did me in- Tomer Benvenisti has a slight chiplead at the table and Assani is the shortest stack having probably about a little less than 1/2 of Tomer's stack. Assani limps with AK in EP,one other limper, Tomer raises to 5x BB with AQ, Assani pushes for about 25-30 more BBs(in addittion to the 5 already in), Tomer calls. Flop comes Q-Q-9. Turn is another Q giving Tomer quads. Assani is sad.
ouch. that's a ####ty way to go out.

GL Assani -

Virtual sweat here. Lay off the partying and make a serious ### kicking out there.... Party after you win:)

Grizzle's a pretty notorious degenerate who is constantly going broke/getting staked, from what I hear.

I remember hearing a story about him going from a few hundred bucks up to six figures and back to busto all in one night. :mellow:

Anyway, glll. Who are the people you're rooming with? Also, count me as another "no" against third person shtick.

Cold stove. :kicksrock:

Event #2 results:

Assani sits down at his first ever WSOP event. Tomer Benvenisti is across the table, and Hoyt Corkins is directly to Assani's right. Nobody else is recognizable.

The event structure sucks- only 1500 starting chips and blinds going up every hour. Its basically a situation where if you flop top pair, theres a decent chance that you might have to just hope its good and commit yourself to it. For example, you have AQ and its raised preflop so theres about 200 in the pot. Flop comes Q high and your opponent bets the pot, you pretty much have to raise and find out where you're at(or check and bet the turn) and that could commit you to it. But anyway, ont the action...

Tomer is very active early, bullying the table a bit. Everyone else is average. Assani makes one bad bluff attempt(I actually think it was a good bluff attempt, but I shouldn't have tried it against a guy who I didn't know was a decent player). Final board read A-8-9-9-2, Assani bets the whole way with nothing. Guy calls him down with A8(he flopped 2 pair but was counterfeited and should've probably folded on the turn and river). Not that huge of a loss though, but noticeable.

bet more my friend, bet more.....

Event #2 results:

Bet more? He's AI preflop with AK vs. AQ. Not much more you can ask.

Event #2 results:

Bet more? He's AI preflop with AK vs. AQ. Not much more you can ask.
I would ask that no q's show up, but thats just me.

Event #2 results:

My brother was playing this event. He lost at the 3 hour mark. He limped in EP with AA, button went all in on 66 and barely had him covered (about 4000 chips). Of course a third 6 came on the flop.At least both of you got in with the best of it. The rest is up to the poker gods.

Ended up playing in cash games instead of any tourneys today. Was having a good day playing $25/50 NL until I got stacked with KK against AA....oh well.

Probably just playing in a $1000 MTT at the Bellagio today...kinda disappointed on going out on a low night last night with KK vs AA in the ring game...I was playing really well too imo- probably 99% near the top of my game.

The horrible structure of the early WSOP events has turned me off somewhat. For example the first event that I played in was a $1500 event that gave you 1500 starting chips and blind levels of one hour. When I busted out I went to the Bellagio and played in a $540 MTT...and they gave you 3000 starting chips. Blind levels were a bit shorter at only 40 minutes, but still.

And today's $1000 event at Bellagio gives you 5000 starting chips! So I'm not sure how many WSOP events I'll play in early on, although on the ones that have televised final tables that may be enough to lure me in.

Probably just playing in a $1000 MTT at the Bellagio today...kinda disappointed on going out on a low night last night with KK vs AA in the ring game...I was playing really well too imo- probably 99% near the top of my game.

The horrible structure of the early WSOP events has turned me off somewhat. For example the first event that I played in was a $1500 event that gave you 1500 starting chips and blind levels of one hour. When I busted out I went to the Bellagio and played in a $540 MTT...and they gave you 3000 starting chips. Blind levels were a bit shorter at only 40 minutes, but still.

And today's $1000 event at Bellagio gives you 5000 starting chips! So I'm not sure how many WSOP events I'll play in early on, although on the ones that have televised final tables that may be enough to lure me in.
go for the deep stacks screw the crap structured tourneys, you are there to win money not to make the WSOP leaderboard, or maybe you are

So when you're on tv you'll be the guy in the hat that says "Smoo" right? :)

Good luck dude. I'm off to AC tomorrow for my birthday to play the 5 or 6 people left who didn't fly out to vega$ :D Do you think my prospects are better with all the vega$ departures?

-QG

So when you're on tv you'll be the guy in the hat that says "Smoo" right? :)

Good luck dude. I'm off to AC tomorrow for my birthday to play the 5 or 6 people left who didn't fly out to vega$ :D Do you think my prospects are better with all the vega$ departures?

-QG
If you're playing in any decent buy in tourney, then I'd say that your odds are definitely a little better since any AC pros most likely won't be there for it. If you're playing in lower stakes, then probably the same. Its funny...for as off the way I can act on here sometimes I'm pretty well behaved and quiet at most tables unless I'm donking around in a lower limit game while drinking. So most likely no schtick will be seen from me at the tables, although I'm sure that if theres some FBGs nearby I could manage the icy pots schtick....we'll see.

Just a thought back to the card holder:

Why not just order a custom poker chip with "ICY" inscribed? (or a whole set)

There's also a site that does 4 letters - ICY! Many can also do artwork if you want - like a picture of you with the words Mr. Pots.

Well, GL - may all your outs be live and all your pots...icy? Oh nevermind.

I am in the WSOP room @ the rio right now watching my brother play in the 2.5 K short handed tables tourney.

isn't dodds playing out here also?

G L to all FBGs out here

Headed back to the Rio now to play in some cash games.....havn't run into any FBGs yet, but I've been at the Bellagio a lot more than the Rio.

Played in the $1000 MTT at Bellagio today...ridiculously tough early table with 4 people being known pros(no huge names, but good players), me, and my friend who is a pro. Made it pretty far but missed out on the cash(finished around 45th or so, 18 spots paid only).

Plan on playing in the $2000 WSOP event tomorrow.

So I go to the Rio tonight for cash games. No $25/50 going on at all...only $10/25. Tables are all full, so they start a new one and call a bunch of names. Only two of us show up: Me and Johnny Chan....lol. He asks if I what stakes I want to play and then asks if I want to play Chinese Poker....I decline. He eventually leaves, and I just wait for another table since nobody else showed up.

I'm playing absolutely phenomenal poker right now, and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. I make around $2500 on the night until one of the last hands of the night...

I have 55. Its only 5 handed. One limper, I call. Flop is KK5. Checked around. Turn is an ace. I bet a decent amount, limper calls. River is a 4. He bets, I re raise a pretty big amount, he comes over the top for like 1/4th of my stack(bought in for around $10K or so). I show my 55 and muck. He says "great fold" and shows AK.

Everyone at the table is impressed, dealer tells me that hand will be the talk of the next break room...I don't really care, as it cost me all my winnings, and I've now been here for 5 days without a single winning day. I mean, I guess thats the life when you're playing MTTs, but its been rough...that hand and my $7000 loss on KK vs AA.

I'm playing well, and it did feel good to have the entire table and a few onlookers telling me what a great laydown I made, but still I'm getting a bit frusterated.

Anyway its almost 5:00 now and I should be getting up at 10:00 to get a workout in before the event at noon tomorrow....off to bed.

So I go to the Rio tonight for cash games. No $25/50 going on at all...only $10/25. Tables are all full, so they start a new one and call a bunch of names. Only two of us show up: Me and Johnny Chan....lol. He asks if I what stakes I want to play and then asks if I want to play Chinese Poker....I decline. He eventually leaves, and I just wait for another table since nobody else showed up.

I'm playing absolutely phenomenal poker right now, and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. I make around $2500 on the night until one of the last hands of the night...

I have 55. Its only 5 handed. One limper, I call. Flop is KK5. Checked around. Turn is an ace. I bet a decent amount, limper calls. River is a 4. He bets, I re raise a pretty big amount, he comes over the top for like 1/4th of my stack(bought in for around $10K or so). I show my 55 and muck. He says "great fold" and shows AK.

Everyone at the table is impressed, dealer tells me that hand will be the talk of the next break room...I don't really care, as it cost me all my winnings, and I've now been here for 5 days without a single winning day. I mean, I guess thats the life when you're playing MTTs, but its been rough...that hand and my $7000 loss on KK vs AA.

I'm playing well, and it did feel good to have the entire table and a few onlookers telling me what a great laydown I made, but still I'm getting a bit frusterated.

Anyway its almost 5:00 now and I should be getting up at 10:00 to get a workout in before the event at noon tomorrow....off to bed.
amazing fold AF. Good luck.

He open-limped AK? That's peculiar to me.

He open-limped AK? That's peculiar to me.
No reason for it to be. Sounds like the limper (AK) was 1st to act.

Only two of us show up: Me and Johnny Chan....lol. He asks if I what stakes I want to play and then asks if I want to play Chinese Poker....I decline. He eventually leaves, and I just wait for another table since nobody else showed up.
:lmao: Probably not a good idea to play Chinese Poker with Johnny Chan.

Only two of us show up: Me and Johnny Chan....lol. He asks if I what stakes I want to play and then asks if I want to play Chinese Poker....I decline. He eventually leaves, and I just wait for another table since nobody else showed up.
:lmao: Probably not a good idea to play Chinese Poker with Johnny Chan.
When I first read it, I though Assani was joking and he was going to go into some Rounders quotes:"You have it?" he asks me. "Sorry John, I don't remember." I got up and walked straight to the cashier. I sat with the best in the world, Knish, and I won.

:D

Event #2 results:

F'n Two outer, TWICE?That is so juiced it's crazy.. I would've been so upset...

Maybe that's why I had to quit..

In Missouri HOld 'em, there never would even have been a flop.

Only two of us show up: Me and Johnny Chan....lol. He asks if I what stakes I want to play and then asks if I want to play Chinese Poker....I decline.
Wow, pretty sure I would pay just for the privilege of playing w/ Johnny Chan heads up. Plus, Chinese poker isn't really a game of skill at all. Just like Pai Gow, just more cards, so Assani wouldn't have gotten "schooled" by Chan at all.

That is definitely an unbelivable laydown. I know I couldn't have done that.
Agreed.. but I sure hate him showing it.. what does that prove.. he'll fold a boat if someone represents a higher one?I don't like it one bit.

Then again.. he's better at poker than I am, and I quit.

the more i think about this, the more amazed i am.

i mean, there are a ton of players out there who just can't fold big hands like overpairs, or even top pair, top kicker. and here you get away from a boat.

again, wow.

He put in a 3rd bet on the river. The only hand that I can see him doing that with that I can beat was 44, but I couldn't see him having called the turn with 44.

I placed in the money in today's $2000 NLHE event. Was something like 1900 entrants, I finished around 130th or so....sat with quite a few pros...played pretty well. Ended up pushing with Q5s when I got shortstacked...probably didn't need too, and I wasn't in late position. NOt real happy with my decision there. Got called by 99 and JJ. Actually hit a queen, but nine came too. Oh well. Won a little bit, but nothing major at all. Next WSOP event I play in will probably be the $5000 NLHE coming up in 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread