What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (1 Viewer)

That is definitely an unbelivable laydown.  I know I couldn't have done that.
Agreed.. but I sure hate him showing it.. what does that prove.. he'll fold a boat if someone represents a higher one?I don't like it one bit.

Then again.. he's better at poker than I am, and I quit.
I was upset at losing my winnings on that hand, and I got up and left within 5 minutes later, so I really wasn't concerned with my table image.

That is definitely an unbelivable laydown. I know I couldn't have done that.
Agreed.. but I sure hate him showing it.. what does that prove.. he'll fold a boat if someone represents a higher one?I don't like it one bit.

I was upset at losing my winnings on that hand, and I got up and left within 5 minutes later, so I really wasn't concerned with my table image.
Fair enough.. that's reasonable.I guess in that case it makes you look smart.. which isn't as good as the money, but is at least something.

On the other hand.. did he show.. or just say "good laydown"?

That is definitely an unbelivable laydown.  I know I couldn't have done that.

Fair enough.. that's reasonable.I guess in that case it makes you look smart.. which isn't as good as the money, but is at least something.

On the other hand.. did he show.. or just say "good laydown"?
he showed...it was a pretty friendly game. It was 5 handed, late at night, and all the fish had left. We pretty much knew that nobody was going to make a huge score unless two huge hands ran into each other(like this I guess) since everyone was a solid player.

I saw an 'Assaui Fisher'
Interesting..
Yeah thats a misprint. And for some reason pokerwire.com listed me in the correct finishing spot, but also listed me as the day 1 chip leader at the end of last night :confused: Butch pointed this out to me....strange.Still have me listed as chip leader too...

Wow.. 5 handed that would've been almost impossible for me to lay down because it certainly takes a MUCH lighter holding than AK to raise PF when it's 5 handed.

IN fact, my opinion of this laydown went WAY the HELL up after that information.

I can say with certainty that I would've called.

I just can't win. Made another "great" laydown today when I laid down 22 on a board of 2-Q-K-T.

He raised to $75 preflop, I called. Flop was 2-Q-K with two spades. He checked, I bet $100, he called. Turn was a ten. He bet $200, I raised to $600, he pushed for around $3000 more. I asked him to show and he obliged- KK. He could've doubled up if he had only bet the flop.

Another tough hand....

EP raises to $100, 4 callers including David Pham. I re raised to $650 with AKos. One caller asks me how much I have behind me, which makes me think he has a pocket pair and is doing the math on the implied odds(hes stupid though because I rarely pay people off completely with just one pair unless I have a strong read). He calls, Pham calls.

Flop is A-4-5 rainbow. I bet $1000, they both call. Turn is a 3 and its checked around. River is a 6. I check, guy bets $2500, Pham folds, I fold. Pham later told me he had A3, which is weird but he was a strange player....he called down with a lot of weak aces. Overall this was probably the softest big stakes game I've sat at out here, but I just couldn't get the cards.

I feel great about my game, but I'm extremely frustrated with my results so far. So I'm taking the rest of the night off. Its my friend Lisa's birthday, so I'll go party with her and her friends.

Will be back tomorrow with hopefully better results this time.

Played in a really great $25/50 NL game the other night. Layne Flack was drunk off his ### and raising every hand blind. Gigabet was there, and he took a pretty big pot off me($4K or so) in a very strange situation where I tried to bluff on the flop and turn and he called only because he intended to bluff on the river(he told me this later). He ended up hitting 2 pair on the river and just checked after I checked and took the pot. A few other pros were in the game, but nobody that well known.

Met Norm MacDonald today in the PokerStars room. He was supposed to be the "guest speaker" but was obviously hammered and was swaying from side to side as he talked...the staff was really cool though and it was a fun time.

Played in the $5K MTT today. Sat with Jason Lester and a table full of unknowns. Came out aggressive and took some small pots, but just slowly whittled away- couldn't hit a hand on the flop. Eventually had to push with JKs in LP and the BB had AJ and called. Played well though, but it just wasn't my day.

Going to play in the limit $1500 in two days.

In other news, I've started telling people that I'm generally regarded as the world's best Heads Up limit 7 card stud follow the queens hi/lo 8 split player in the world. So far, nobody has called me out on it.

In other news, I've started telling people that I'm generally regarded as the world's best Heads Up limit 7 card stud follow the queens hi/lo 8 split player in the world. So far, nobody has called me out on it.
don't forget your mad skillz at 'baseball'

don't forget your mad skillz at 'baseball'
Onslaught down?

Man, just keep up the great play. I know you know this, but really, keep playing well and the results will take care of themselves. Good luck and may you continue your stellar play, jw!

-fe

Okay. I am going to be generous. I am taking out my magic wand. (No jokes please.) And I am going to guarantee you a major cash in the $1500 limit tourni. Thank me later.

It's about time a FBG left a mark in the poker world.

Plus, we deserve to see your picture and that should get one attached to the profile.
Thanks so much kind sir. I'm about to leave for that event in a few minuts. As for deserving to see my picture I have plenty up on my myspace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=33302959But yeah it would be cool to have one up on the poker listings as well.

Out already...only 1500 starting chips and a bad run of cards early on did me in. As I told Ham in another thread...

Me and my buddy both entered this event and we promised that if we got heads up at the final table that I'd raise the normal limit amount, he would think forever before announcing "all in" and shoving all his chips in, then I would instantly shout "I call!" and shove all my chips in.

But I've already been knocked out :wall:

Hes still alive though.

Some updates and random ramblings....

-I got there at 11:30 today to play in the $1000 WSOP event, and I was #600 on the alternate list, which meant that I probably wouldn't get to start playing with my 1500 starting stack until they were already on level 100/200 or so. So I chose not to play.

-Played at Jennifer Tilly's table in a Bellagio tourney today. She busted out early. I lasted for a decent time, but no money. Played some $5/10 NL while waiting and won $200 or so.

-Still no major tourney scores to speak of. I'm down about $15,000 on the trip so far, but I feel as if I've played well most of the time. And I have won $3000 or so online during this time, so make that $12,000. Going to play online the next few days to try to work the bankroll back up with some multitabling and then going to take a few days off as my good friend is coming to visit. Not sure of the next WSOP event I'll enter.

-Met tmc94 the other day when he came to play in an event. First FBG I've ever met in real life. Didn't get to hang out with him that much, but seemed like a good guy.

-Phil Ivey is ridiculously overrated by the public. He is listed as only a 16:1 underdog to make the final table of the main event. LINK Now all of the odds are completely insane, but to suggest that Phil is more than twice as likely as any other person in the entire world to make it that far(the next best odds are 40:1) is insane.

-I have no clue to the truth of this, but its interesting to say the least:

The talk of the 2006 WSOP Main Event will undoubtedly be Pokershare.com, an online poker room that has apparently decided to enter a chimpanzee into the $10,000 buy-in No-Limit Hold'em championship!

The World Series of Poker Main Event has seen some weird and wonderful characters take part, many of them providing us with a good laugh. This year is about to get completely whacky. According to a VERY reliable birdie that whispered in our ear, a trained chimpanzee will hit the tables and no doubt cause a stir!

Imagine you are a poker pro, and you sit down at your allocated table at the start of the event, only to find a chimpanzee staring back at you from across the table! This redefines the concept of a "poker face"! Now imagine you get knocked by said chimpanzee. You will never be able to show your face in a poker rooms again!.

At this year's Main Event, online poker room Pokershare.com will apparently enter a chimpanzee called "Mikey". Pokershare will no doubt causes a stir with this stunt! According to our source, the chimp was found after an extensive search, and has received intensive poker training for the last two months. We've also heard that if the chimp sponsored by PokerShare actually eliminates players at the WSOP then the poker room will award those players with a free entry to the 2007 World Series Of Poker.
LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a 2+2 thread commenting on the chimp in the WSOP and someone wrote this about Bob Stupak. The bolded part especially made me laugh:

Back in the day Bob had a chimpanzee trained to deal poker. He wanted to use the chimp in a live game. Small stakes. Rumor has it that he changed his mind (like the gaming board would approve it anyway) because as efficient as the monkey was, it could not call out open pairs and constantly over raked the pot. Heh.

-I got there at 11:30 today to play in the $1000 WSOP event, and I was #600 on the alternate list, which meant that I probably wouldn't get to start playing with my 1500 starting stack until they were already on level 100/200 or so. So I chose not to play.

-Played at Jennifer Tilly's table in a Bellagio tourney today. She busted out early. I lasted for a decent time, but no money. Played some $5/10 NL while waiting and won $200 or so.

-Still no major tourney scores to speak of. I'm down about $15,000 on the trip so far, but I feel as if I've played well most of the time. And I have won $3000 or so online during this time, so make that $12,000. Going to play online the next few days to try to work the bankroll back up with some multitabling and then going to take a few days off as my good friend is coming to visit. Not sure of the next WSOP event I'll enter.

-Met tmc94 the other day when he came to play in an event. First FBG I've ever met in real life. Didn't get to hang out with him that much, but seemed like a good guy.

-Phil Ivey is ridiculously overrated by the public. He is listed as only a 16:1 underdog to make the final table of the main event. LINK Now all of the odds are completely insane, but to suggest that Phil is more than twice as likely as any other person in the entire world to make it that far(the next best odds are 40:1) is insane.

The talk of the 2006 WSOP Main Event will undoubtedly be Pokershare.com, an online poker room that has apparently decided to enter a chimpanzee into the $10,000 buy-in No-Limit Hold'em championship!

The World Series of Poker Main Event has seen some weird and wonderful characters take part, many of them providing us with a good laugh. This year is about to get completely whacky. According to a VERY reliable birdie that whispered in our ear, a trained chimpanzee will hit the tables and no doubt cause a stir!

Imagine you are a poker pro, and you sit down at your allocated table at the start of the event, only to find a chimpanzee staring back at you from across the table! This redefines the concept of a "poker face"! Now imagine you get knocked by said chimpanzee. You will never be able to show your face in a poker rooms again!.

At this year's Main Event, online poker room Pokershare.com will apparently enter a chimpanzee called "Mikey". Pokershare will no doubt causes a stir with this stunt! According to our source, the chimp was found after an extensive search, and has received intensive poker training for the last two months. We've also heard that if the chimp sponsored by PokerShare actually eliminates players at the WSOP then the poker room will award those players with a free entry to the 2007 World Series Of Poker.
LINK
That's so sweet I just crapped my pants. I hope I sit with the chimpanzee. I'm pushing over the top of him every time, and either doubling up or getting knocked out and getting a free ticket to next year's event, then keeping my hotel room for the week and enjoying a trip to Vegas.

LINK
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

That's so sweet I just crapped my pants. I hope I sit with the chimpanzee. I'm pushing over the top of him every time, and either doubling up or getting knocked out and getting a free ticket to next year's event, then keeping my hotel room for the week and enjoying a trip to Vegas.
If the chimp wins the whole thing, they'd lose money on payouts for next year. That's what I'm rooting for.

That's so sweet I just crapped my pants. I hope I sit with the chimpanzee.  I'm pushing over the top of him every time, and either doubling up or getting knocked out and getting a free ticket to next year's event, then keeping my hotel room for the week and enjoying a trip to Vegas.
If the chimp wins the whole thing, they'd lose money on payouts for next year. That's what I'm rooting for.
A chimp has already won this thing.Varconi down?

Doing well online. Won about $4000 last night 4 tabling $10/20 and up another $2000 today so far. I know that I havn't been posting hands a lot recently, but I have to post this one as theres no better ownage in poker imo than a double check raise. Its become one of my most well liked moves to check raise a monster on the flop and then check the turn...very misleading play. Of course, this guy here was just an idiot and was paying me off regardless of how I played it probably.

***** Hand History for Game 4706451965 *****

$2000 NL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, July 11, 16:37:30 ET 2006

Table Table 108679 (Real Money)

Seat 5 is the button

Total number of players : 10

Seat 4: Stripe1111 ( $2444 )

Seat 5: cholosychola ( $1990 )

Seat 8: theSchlauch ( $3961.88 )

Seat 9: IcyPots ( $1950.50 )

Seat 6: hotmark777 ( $2087 )

Seat 7: Quick_Six ( $2458 )

Seat 1: Panzar_V ( $4084 )

Seat 10: Vuale2469111 ( $1149 )

Seat 2: futbol7414 ( $1843.50 )

Seat 3: pkallin ( $255.49 )

hotmark777 posts small blind [$10].

Quick_Six posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to IcyPots [ 4h 4d ]

theSchlauch folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

Vuale2469111 raises [$55].

Panzar_V folds.

futbol7414 folds.

pkallin folds.

Stripe1111 folds.

cholosychola folds.

hotmark777 folds.

>You have options at Cann River (No DP) Table!.

Quick_Six folds.

IcyPots calls [$35].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Js, 4c, 2h ]

IcyPots checks.

Vuale2469111 bets [$137].

IcyPots raises [$299].

Vuale2469111 calls [$162].

** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]

IcyPots checks.

Vuale2469111 bets [$216.83].

IcyPots raises [$450].

Vuale2469111 calls [$233.17].

** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]

IcyPots bets [$400].

Vuale2469111 is all-In [$345]

IcyPots shows [ 4h, 4d ] a full house, Fours full of twos.

Vuale2469111 doesn't show [ Kd, Jc ] two pairs, jacks and twos.

IcyPots wins $55 from side pot #1 with a full house, Fours full of twos.

IcyPots wins $2325 from the main pot with a full house, Fours full of twos.

Doing well online. Won about $4000 last night 4 tabling $10/20 and up another $2000 today so far. I know that I havn't been posting hands a lot recently, but I have to post this one as theres no better ownage in poker imo than a double check raise. Its become one of my most well liked moves to check raise a monster on the flop and then check the turn...very misleading play. Of course, this guy here was just an idiot and was paying me off regardless of how I played it probably.

Table Table 108679 (Real Money)

Seat 5 is the button

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to IcyPots [ 4h 4d ]

theSchlauch folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

Panzar_V folds.

futbol7414 folds.

pkallin folds.

Stripe1111 folds.

cholosychola folds.

hotmark777 folds.

Quick_Six folds.

IcyPots calls [$35].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$299].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$450].

IcyPots bets [$400].

Vuale2469111 is all-In [$345]

IcyPots wins $55 from side pot #1 with a full house, Fours full of twos.

IcyPots wins $2325 from the main pot with a full house, Fours full of twos.
:thumbup: I really like this hand for some reason.

LINK
:tfp:

Table Table  108679 (Real Money)

Seat 5 is the button

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to IcyPots [  4h 4d ]

theSchlauch folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

Panzar_V folds.

futbol7414 folds.

pkallin folds.

Stripe1111 folds.

cholosychola folds.

hotmark777 folds.

Quick_Six folds.

IcyPots calls [$35].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$299].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$450].

IcyPots bets [$400].

Vuale2469111 is all-In  [$345]

IcyPots wins $55 from  side pot #1  with a full house, Fours full of twos.

IcyPots wins $2325 from  the main pot  with a full house, Fours full of twos.
I can't get over how awful Vuale2469111 played this. He should go back to 25 NL and start over.

Seat 5 is the button

** Dealing down cards **

theSchlauch folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

Panzar_V folds.

futbol7414 folds.

pkallin folds.

Stripe1111 folds.

cholosychola folds.

hotmark777 folds.

Quick_Six folds.

IcyPots calls [$35].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$299].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$450].

IcyPots bets [$400].

I can't get over how awful Vuale2469111 played this. He should go back to 25 NL and start over.
I really have a hard time putting someone on a set, and as a result have had my butt handed to me several times. But a double check raise??? Geeeeeeeez.

-Still no major tourney scores to speak of. I'm down about $15,000 on the trip so far, but I feel as if I've played well most of the time.
yikes
It happens. For the record, although I went in as an underdog against two opponents, if my one opponent hadn't hit his set I would've tripled up and been an above average stack with 125 players left in the $2000 NLHE WSOP event. Also bubbled out of the money in a $1000 MTT at the Bellagio. AK all in preflop lost to QK. Would've been a way above average stack with 30 players left in that- 18 spots paid, 1st was over $50K. Also lost a $6000 pot in a ring game with KK vs AA. Also been in two very tough spots where I've made very big laydowns(I wrote about it in this thread).Now don't get me wrong- I'm not complaing at all and I'm not whining about my bad beats. Its poker and that happens. Rather, I'm just trying to show examples of how variance can work and how extreme it can be. I could've won some of those hands and been up huge right now if I had advanced farther in those tourneys. But I didn't, and I'm down $15K. But I don't think I can let that bother me at all as long as I feel as if I'm playing well. I think I'm playing pretty well aside from a few mistakes here and there. I'm content and I'm fully confident that I could go close to broke here and still be able to work my way back up in less than 2 months by starting out at the lower limits online and rebuilding. But of course I hope that doesn't happen, and I'm hoping for a big score here still.

Seat 5 is the button

** Dealing down cards **

theSchlauch folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

Panzar_V folds.

futbol7414 folds.

pkallin folds.

Stripe1111 folds.

cholosychola folds.

hotmark777 folds.

Quick_Six folds.

IcyPots calls [$35].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$299].

IcyPots checks.

IcyPots raises [$450].

IcyPots bets [$400].

I really have a hard time putting someone on a set, and as a result have had my butt handed to me several times. But a double check raise??? Geeeeeeeez.
Yeah I think it should've been an easy laydown for him on the 2nd one. My hopes were that after I checked the turn, he would put me on AJ and he would had QQ, KK, or AA and just want to win the big pot then and there so he would bet a large enough amount(maybe even all in) that he would be totally pot committed to my second raise. When he didn't bet that huge, I feared that I had misplayed it a bit and probably wouldn't get anything more from him....lucky me I guess.

Off topic, but how do you usually put someone on a set? I have a hard time laying down TPTK because then I feel like anybody who wants to will just bluff me out of a pot on future hands.

Do you just take your lumps and try to minimize your losses, yet still force a showdown to prevent bullying?

Off topic, but how do you usually put someone on a set?  I have a hard time laying down TPTK because then I feel like anybody who wants to will just bluff me out of a pot on future hands.

Do you just take your lumps and try to minimize your losses, yet still force a showdown to prevent bullying?
I'm sure I get bluffed out a lot. So do a lot of good tight, winning players. You aren't an expert reader like Jen Harmon or Phil Ivey here. If someone is demonstrating strength like a set, then just lay down your TPTK. There will be better opportunities. Bad players look for excuses to make calls like "I didn't want him to turn over a bluff and then I'd look bad in front of the whole table." Don't be like that. Swallow any pride you may have while playing poker, play as tight as you can, and wait for good opportunities. As you become a better player and improve your player reading, then you can make calls when you feel like someone may be blufing(even with hands much worse than TPTK). However, you're most probably not there yet and you will win the most money simply by playing very standard and by the book poker.

This isn't an ego contest....let people bully you. Who cares. You'll end up with the money if you play well in the long run.

Oh, and don't slowplay...

***** Hand History for Game 4706737260 *****

$2000 NL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, July 11, 17:22:43 ET 2006

Table West Whale (No DP) (Real Money)

Seat 2 is the button

Total number of players : 9

Seat 8: theSchlauch ( $6582.80 )

Seat 9: cholosychola ( $2313.10 )

Seat 10: Stripe1111 ( $2617 )

Seat 7: IcyPots ( $3662 )

Seat 1: Bud_King ( $798 )

Seat 5: hotmark777 ( $2000 )

Seat 3: appollo2 ( $700.94 )

Seat 4: TTPRO ( $1659.62 )

Seat 2: sippichelsea ( $935 )

appollo2 posts small blind [$10].

TTPRO posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to IcyPots [ 8d 9d ]

>You have options at Table 108679 Table!.

heehawman has joined the table.

hotmark777 folds.

IcyPots calls [$20].

theSchlauch folds.

cholosychola folds.

Bud_King folds.

sippichelsea folds.

appollo2 raises [$50].

TTPRO folds.

IcyPots calls [$40].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 7s, Js, 2c ]

appollo2 checks.

IcyPots checks.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]

appollo2 bets [$40].

IcyPots calls [$40].

** Dealing River ** [ 5c ]

appollo2 bets [$90].

IcyPots raises [$225].

appollo2 is all-In [$510.94]

IcyPots calls [$375.94].

IcyPots shows [ 8d, 9d ] a straight, five to nine.

appollo2 doesn't show [ Jd, Jh ] three of a kind, jacks.

IcyPots wins $1418.88 from the main pot with a straight, five to nine.

Off topic, but how do you usually put someone on a set?  I have a hard time laying down TPTK because then I feel like anybody who wants to will just bluff me out of a pot on future hands.

I'm sure I get bluffed out a lot. So do a lot of good tight, winning players. You aren't an expert reader like Jen Harmon or Phil Ivey here. If someone is demonstrating strength like a set, then just lay down your TPTK. There will be better opportunities. Bad players look for excuses to make calls like "I didn't want him to turn over a bluff and then I'd look bad in front of the whole table." Don't be like that. Swallow any pride you may have while playing poker, play as tight as you can, and wait for good opportunities. As you become a better player and improve your player reading, then you can make calls when you feel like someone may be blufing(even with hands much worse than TPTK). However, you're most probably not there yet and you will win the most money simply by playing very standard and by the book poker.

This isn't an ego contest....let people bully you. Who cares. You'll end up with the money if you play well in the long run.
Thank you. You are right, I am far from there. I prefer limit because if I have a hand that is second best I can go into check-call mode and it doesnt cost me a lot to show down.NL is not my cup of tea, except for sit n go's. I can't fathom playing NL ring games at the levels you play at.

Just to clarify, I'm speaking of a standard full table game. If you're playing shorthanded(which I might not advise until you're sure you're a winning player), then you might indeed need to make more stands against bullying opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread