What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (1 Viewer)

great job.just making it out of the first day is really an accomplishment. numerous pros are out, including hellmuth and gavin smith.

i can't imagine what it must have been like to sit there for 15 hours ... what was that aspect of it actually like?
I played in the ME last year and went out at the end of day one after 14 hours and let me tell you, it is brutal. My brain was competely fried and my body was just exhausted. The weird part is that even though you are so tired, you can't fall asleep. I just kept replaying hands in my head.

I decided to just play the side games this year as I just don't have the stamina for multiple 14+ hour days. Unless you get super lucky, like you have to multiple times in a field this large, the side games are more profitable anyway. getting it all in with AA vs. KK preflop and then having a K hit on the river to knock you out after 14 hours just sucks. You can be playing the best poker of your life, but in a field this large, you have to win nearly every race to make it.

people ask me how tiring could it be just sitting there playing cards, but man you have no idea how grueling it actually is until you do it yourself.
I realize I'm not a poker pro...

but maybe the key is not to go all in that much... don't bet most of your stack until very late, and even if you lose brutal hands like AA vs. KK, you'll still be in at the end...
If you aren't willing to put all your money in the middle preflop with AA then you shouldn't be playing poker.
but you can't get a bad beat if you don't go all-in...
huh?
I said that a bit wrong...

you can't get eliminated on a bad beat if you don't go all in on hands like that... It especially sucks when you have a decent stack... day one, Main Event, you have 15,000 chips and lose ALL OF THEM on a bad beat... that sucks, but it wouldn't have happened had you not gone all-in...
Larry subscribes to the call down to the river, check-fold theory of poker, popularized by Earl "The Donkey" Hermdorf in the late '70s.
no, I think you should bet and raise, but why in the world would you go all-in with 15,000 chips early in a tournament?
Because you are a heavy favorite to have the same decision with $30K.
yes, you are a heavy favorite... but it isn't garunteed, bad beats happened, and if you want to win more often in tourneys than lose, going all-in is not a good plan of action...
Larry,

You might want to stick to Bocce Ball.

great job.just making it out of the first day is really an accomplishment. numerous pros are out, including hellmuth and gavin smith.

i can't imagine what it must have been like to sit there for 15 hours ... what was that aspect of it actually like?
I played in the ME last year and went out at the end of day one after 14 hours and let me tell you, it is brutal. My brain was competely fried and my body was just exhausted. The weird part is that even though you are so tired, you can't fall asleep. I just kept replaying hands in my head.

I decided to just play the side games this year as I just don't have the stamina for multiple 14+ hour days. Unless you get super lucky, like you have to multiple times in a field this large, the side games are more profitable anyway. getting it all in with AA vs. KK preflop and then having a K hit on the river to knock you out after 14 hours just sucks. You can be playing the best poker of your life, but in a field this large, you have to win nearly every race to make it.

people ask me how tiring could it be just sitting there playing cards, but man you have no idea how grueling it actually is until you do it yourself.
I realize I'm not a poker pro...

but maybe the key is not to go all in that much... don't bet most of your stack until very late, and even if you lose brutal hands like AA vs. KK, you'll still be in at the end...
If you aren't willing to put all your money in the middle preflop with AA then you shouldn't be playing poker.
huh?
I said that a bit wrong...

you can't get eliminated on a bad beat if you don't go all in on hands like that... It especially sucks when you have a decent stack... day one, Main Event, you have 15,000 chips and lose ALL OF THEM on a bad beat... that sucks, but it wouldn't have happened had you not gone all-in...
Like somebody else said, AA is the best starting hand in poker. You cannot fold that hand to anything pre-flop*. You'll be laughed off the table, and then bullied around the rest of the day.

*unless you're right on the money bubble and there's one or two more people to bust till you get there. even then it would be difficult. I'd have to really need the money to do that.
I'm not saying not to bet on AA, I'm saying don't go all-in when you have $15,000 chips early in a tournament like the Main Event, its not worth it when bad beats happen...

bet $10 K? Sure... I could see that...

but don't go all in unless you KNOW you are going to win...
Larry, if you are going to bet 2/3 of your stack with AA you are committed to betting the whole thing anyway...

Why don't you leave the poker analysis to people who have some idea of what they are talking about?
I meant betting something like that later, not pre-flop...

if you have to, go all-in, but why push it yourself? there's too much of a probability for a bad beat (even if you are 4-to-1 favorite vs. all other hands)
So let people limp in reducing your odds preflop, then bet off 2/3 of your stack after letting someone catch, then fold to a reraise after you have crippled yourself.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How does LB end up hijacking all of these cool threads? I want to read about how Assani is going to cash in the WSOP main event, not how LB is going to fold quad Aces to an aggressive reraise with a straigh flush draw on the board.

huh?
I said that a bit wrong...you can't get eliminated on a bad beat if you don't go all in on hands like that... It especially sucks when you have a decent stack... day one, Main Event, you have 15,000 chips and lose ALL OF THEM on a bad beat... that sucks, but it wouldn't have happened had you not gone all-in...
Like somebody else said, AA is the best starting hand in poker. You cannot fold that hand to anything pre-flop*. You'll be laughed off the table, and then bullied around the rest of the day.*unless you're right on the money bubble and there's one or two more people to bust till you get there. even then it would be difficult. I'd have to really need the money to do that.
I'm not saying not to bet on AA, I'm saying don't go all-in when you have $15,000 chips early in a tournament like the Main Event, its not worth it when bad beats happen...bet $10 K? Sure... I could see that...

Larry, if you are going to bet 2/3 of your stack with AA you are committed to betting the whole thing anyway...Why don't you leave the poker analysis to people who have some idea of what they are talking about?
I meant betting something like that later, not pre-flop...if you have to, go all-in, but why push it yourself? there's too much of a probability for a bad beat (even if you are 4-to-1 favorite vs. all other hands)
So let people limp in reducing your odds preflop, then bet off 2/3 of your stack after letting someone catch, then fold to a reraise after you have crippled yourself. BRILLIANT!!!!!!
I didn't say let them limp in, don't let them limp in, raise pre-flop, just don't go all-in until you are sure you have the best hand...

How does LB end up hijacking all of these cool threads? I want to read about how Assani is going to cash in the WSOP main event, not how LB is going to fold quad Aces to an aggressive reraise with a straigh flush draw on the board.
who said fold quad aces?I would raise aggresively with AA (probably 5-10X the BB)... If a pair is flopped nad the other person goes all-in, I'd probably fold...

if an A comes up in the flop (and the other 2 cards are not paired) I'd probably go all-in... if it comes A and a pair, I'd probably see what the other person did and call pretty much anything they did, if they do nothing, I'd bet big (maybe even all) after the next card (as long as it isn't A and 3 of a kind))

What the ####, Larry. I will put up with your innanne psuedo fishing schtick in the religious threads, but mainly because they do actually stimulate some thinking. But not here. Stop it.

What the ####, Larry. I will put up with your innanne psuedo fishing schtick in the religious threads, but mainly because they do actually stimulate some thinking. But not here. Stop it.
not fishing...

Alias, you've met your match.

Alias: "Don't go all in when you're a 52/48 favorite."

LB: "Don't go all in when you're a 99/1 favorite."

Alias: "Don't go all in when you're a 52/48 favorite."

LB: "Don't go all in when you're a 99/1 favorite."
1. 4-to-1 is not 99/1, it is 80/20...2. I said don't go in early... There are still 8,000 people in the tourney, why are you going all in? No reason to go all-in that early in a tournament when you aren't garunteed to win...

I say you raise, see the flop, and if you hit something good on the flop (another A) then you bet huge and slowplay and MAYBE go all-in at the end... why risk it if you aren't garunteed to win? Let the other sucker be eliminated, don't risk yourself...

The Gambler, by LarryBoy:

You got to know when to fold em, know when to fold em,

Know when to run away, yeah know when to run.

You never bet any money when youre sittin at the table.

Therell be time enough for betting when the dealins done.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Alias:  "Don't go all in when you're a 52/48 favorite."

LB:  "Don't go all in when you're a 99/1 favorite."
1. 4-to-1 is not 99/1, it is 80/20...2. I said don't go in early... There are still 8,000 people in the tourney, why are you going all in? No reason to go all-in that early in a tournament when you aren't garunteed to win...

I say you raise, see the flop, and if you hit something good on the flop (another A) then you bet huge and slowplay and MAYBE go all-in at the end... why risk it if you aren't garunteed to win? Let the other sucker be eliminated, don't risk yourself...
When, exactly, are you a guarantee to win??

when you have the best hand possible on the board...

who said fold quad aces?I would raise aggresively with AA (probably 5-10X the BB)... If a pair is flopped nad the other person goes all-in, I'd probably fold...

if an A comes up in the flop (and the other 2 cards are not paired) I'd probably go all-in... if it comes A and a pair, I'd probably see what the other person did and call pretty much anything they did, if they do nothing, I'd bet big (maybe even all) after the next card (as long as it isn't A and 3 of a kind))
Larry, we love ya man, but this may be the most horrific poker advice in print. 5-10X BB raise preflop on AA? If you flop trip aces, but the board is paired, you're worried about quads? Make me feel better and tell me you're :fishing:

Let's say you get your pocket aces, and an ace comes on the flop, along with two spades (you don't have one).Your opponent goes all in. You have the best possible hand on the board, but aren't guaranteed to win.

You fold?

Larry, we love ya man, but this may be the most horrific poker advice in print. 5-10X BB raise preflop on AA? If you flop trip aces, but the board is paired, you're worried about quads? Make me feel better and tell me you're :fishing:
no, I'm kind of thinking out loud...But, and I'm being completely honest here, why not just completely not be willing to go all-in early in a tournament unless you have the best possible hand? I don't understand why you would want to go all in if you might lose so early on in a tourney...

no, I'm kind of thinking out loud...But, and I'm being completely honest here, why not just completely not be willing to go all-in early in a tournament unless you have the best possible hand? I don't understand why you would want to go all in if you might lose so early on in a tourney...
Because, if you keep waiting for the nuts, you'll be blinded out before you get your "hand".And, when you do get your hand, everyone will know you have the nuts, so they won't bet into you.

Satisfied?

Let's say you get your pocket aces, and an ace comes on the flop, along with two spades (you don't have one).Your opponent goes all in. You have the best possible hand on the board, but aren't guaranteed to win.

You fold?
I dunno... depends how much the pot is already, how much I have left, how far into the tournament we are....I would probably call, to be honest, but like I said, it depends on a ton of things...

That's still not a guarantee you will end up winning the pot. You ever heard of suck-outs?? Say you flop an ace for top set...you have the best possible hand but you could still lose after the last two cards come out.

You fold?
Sorry, Keys beat me to it...

Because, if you keep waiting for the nuts, you'll be blinded out before you get your "hand".And, when you do get your hand, everyone will know you have the nuts, so they won't bet into you.

Satisfied?
:goodposting:

That's still not a guarantee you will end up winning the pot. You ever heard of suck-outs?? Say you flop an ace for top set...you have the best possible hand but you could still lose after the last two cards come out.
that's why you wouldn't go all-in after the flop...

Satisfied?
I'm not saying don't play anything, Keys, I'm saying don't EVER go all-in... HUGE difference...

Satisfied?
I'm not saying don't play anything, Keys, I'm saying don't EVER go all-in... HUGE difference...
People playing in 10k tournaments are smart folk.They'll quickly realize you'll fold to every all in. You'll go out even faster now.

Satisfied?
People playing in 10k tournaments are smart folk.They'll quickly realize you'll fold to every all in. You'll go out even faster now.
He can't go out since he'll never be all-in. :rolleyes: Keep up.

I never woiuld have guessed that Larryboy could manage to ruin this thread with his insane drivel as well....

:lmao: :lmao:

larry, wanna play heads-up for a few hundred bucks?

remember you won't lose, because you'll never be all-in.

larry_boy_44 Post Today, 10:49 AM

Footballguy

Group: Members

You have chosen to ignore larry_boy_44. View this post · Un-ignore larry_boy_44

----------------------------

had to be done

1. no, don't have a few hundred to spare...2. at some point you do go all in, just not 5 hands in a tournament you paid $10,000 to get into...

1. no, don't have a few hundred to spare...2. at some point you do go all in, just not 5 hands in a tournament you paid $10,000 to get into...
So, what about heads up play? If you and Cappy play heads up for $1,000 and you get AA first hand, are you going to lay it down?

:lmao:   :lmao:

Larry...beat it. Stop clogging up the Assani thread with your jibberish.

So, what about heads up play? If you and Cappy play heads up for $1,000 and you get AA first hand, are you going to lay it down?
more than likely I would go all-in with AA in heads up...

Holy crap Larry Boy,

You have scared Assani out of his own thread....

Well done.

Don't you have choir practice ot something?

more than likely I would go all-in with AA in heads up...
:lmao: Until now, I've always thought Larryboy was a real person. Well, NO MORE! No way this is real. Sorry Assani. LB shtick is clogging up your thread. Keep us updated. :thumbup:

The Gambler, by LarryBoy:

You got to know when to fold em, know when to fold em,

Know when to run away, yeah know when to run.

You never bet any money when youre sittin at the table.

Therell be time enough for betting when the dealins done.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

it's really a shame this thread has dissolved into trying to raise Larry Boy's IQ above 35 with some semblance of explaining how you can't possibly not go all-in when you have an 80:20 advantage.

i think it was johnny chan who said you have to survive at least 10 all-ins to win a tournament of this magnitude. but i guess if he followed larry boy's strategy, he would never win a tournament. let's see, a guy with 10 bracelets or larry boy? who am i going to listen to?

if you ask hellmuth if he'd go all-in preflop with AA, i'm guessing he'd say yes. if you asked him if he would go all-in with AA on a flop of A 9 2 with two spades when he doesn't have a spade, he'd say yes.

if you are going to fold these situations you are going to lose money. period.

I was wondering if any FBG'ers are planning to play in any of the other WSOP events 40-45? I am probably going to play in Event 44. I hope Assani is still alive in the Main Event at that time, so I can stop over to watch him play. GL Assani and Boston Fred too.
If I'm out of the big one then I'm sure I'll consider entering.

10 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

9 Members: Stingdiddy, Assani Fisher, bro1ncos, jag_player, The Cereal Killer, The Football Freak, Steve in Minneapolis, Clayton Gray, memphis raines

Update?

10 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

9 Members: Stingdiddy, Assani Fisher, bro1ncos, jag_player, The Cereal Killer, The Football Freak, Steve in Minneapolis, Clayton Gray, memphis raines

Update?
I believe he plays tomorrow

great job.

just making it out of the first day is really an accomplishment. numerous pros are out, including hellmuth and gavin smith.

I played in the ME last year and went out at the end of day one after 14 hours and let me tell you, it is brutal. My brain was competely fried and my body was just exhausted. The weird part is that even though you are so tired, you can't fall asleep. I just kept replaying hands in my head.I decided to just play the side games this year as I just don't have the stamina for multiple 14+ hour days. Unless you get super lucky, like you have to multiple times in a field this large, the side games are more profitable anyway. getting it all in with AA vs. KK preflop and then having a K hit on the river to knock you out after 14 hours just sucks. You can be playing the best poker of your life, but in a field this large, you have to win nearly every race to make it.

I realize I'm not a poker pro...but maybe the key is not to go all in that much... don't bet most of your stack until very late, and even if you lose brutal hands like AA vs. KK, you'll still be in at the end...
huh?
I said that a bit wrong...you can't get eliminated on a bad beat if you don't go all in on hands like that... It especially sucks when you have a decent stack... day one, Main Event, you have 15,000 chips and lose ALL OF THEM on a bad beat... that sucks, but it wouldn't have happened had you not gone all-in...
Like somebody else said, AA is the best starting hand in poker. You cannot fold that hand to anything pre-flop*. You'll be laughed off the table, and then bullied around the rest of the day.*unless you're right on the money bubble and there's one or two more people to bust till you get there. even then it would be difficult. I'd have to really need the money to do that.
I'm not saying not to bet on AA, I'm saying don't go all-in when you have $15,000 chips early in a tournament like the Main Event, its not worth it when bad beats happen...bet $10 K? Sure... I could see that...

This is revolutionary stuff.

great job.

just making it out of the first day is really an accomplishment. numerous pros are out, including hellmuth and gavin smith.

I played in the ME last year and went out at the end of day one after 14 hours and let me tell you, it is brutal. My brain was competely fried and my body was just exhausted. The weird part is that even though you are so tired, you can't fall asleep. I just kept replaying hands in my head.I decided to just play the side games this year as I just don't have the stamina for multiple 14+ hour days. Unless you get super lucky, like you have to multiple times in a field this large, the side games are more profitable anyway. getting it all in with AA vs. KK preflop and then having a K hit on the river to knock you out after 14 hours just sucks. You can be playing the best poker of your life, but in a field this large, you have to win nearly every race to make it.

I realize I'm not a poker pro...but maybe the key is not to go all in that much... don't bet most of your stack until very late, and even if you lose brutal hands like AA vs. KK, you'll still be in at the end...
huh?

LarryBoy,You are wrong.

-Assani

I'm being completely honest here, this is a horrible idea in a poker tourney.

Users who are viewing this thread