What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (2 Viewers)

I need to buy some furniture. Couches are more expensive than I thought...Craigslist seems good and there are even people giving away stuff for free, but I have no means of picking up a big item like a couch since I just have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. And absolutely all of the free stuff they're going to want you to pick it up. I guess I'll just wait for something that advertises free delivery or I'll just suck it up and pay the extra at IKEA.
I've been looking for some relatively inexpensive furniture too, and came across this site (Furniture2Go) while searching on craigslist. It looks like there are some pretty good deals there. I haven't bought anything yet, but I am going to buy a sofa + loveseat sometime this week. Also, free delivery to CA and NV.

I know this is a poker thread but with all the jack you invested in the gym and your success there maybe we can get a post of what the regular work out is these days. Many of us railbirds are hitting the gym ourselves and could use some extra pointers.

CGRdrJoe said:
I know this is a poker thread but with all the jack you invested in the gym and your success there maybe we can get a post of what the regular work out is these days. Many of us railbirds are hitting the gym ourselves and could use some extra pointers.
will do....Playing now, but will post a poker update and some info on my workout routine later on

One question. I'm watching the WSOP coverage on Tuesday, and they're focusing on this Khan character (who annoys me to no end). They said at one point he was playing as many as 43 SNG's online at a time? I can't imagine how that's even possible. What's the most tables you've had going at once?
I prefer to 12 table because with my 2 montior setup I can keep the tables at standard size and still see myself at every table(I can 8 table with no overlap at all). 12 is a perfect number for me- I never feel rushed, I can play for hours without going insane, and I can even watch tv or talk on the phone while I do it.I have tried shrinking the tables and 24 tabling with 12 on each monitor...it was intense, but I think I could do it if I had bigger monitors...after a while though, the small tables start to hurt my eyes. I don't like to tile or stack the tables like some people do...for whatever reason I need to at least see my seat at all times. Of course if you're playing against really tough opponents, then I wouldn't advise having more than 4 or 6 tables. Also Omaha 8 is harder to multitable imo.
Whoa. So you can keep track of the betting patterns of 84 people at once?eta - i'm a donk, so apologies if this is a stoopid ? re: online poker (i only play live)

Last edited by a moderator:
One question. I'm watching the WSOP coverage on Tuesday, and they're focusing on this Khan character (who annoys me to no end). They said at one point he was playing as many as 43 SNG's online at a time? I can't imagine how that's even possible. What's the most tables you've had going at once?
I prefer to 12 table because with my 2 montior setup I can keep the tables at standard size and still see myself at every table(I can 8 table with no overlap at all). 12 is a perfect number for me- I never feel rushed, I can play for hours without going insane, and I can even watch tv or talk on the phone while I do it.I have tried shrinking the tables and 24 tabling with 12 on each monitor...it was intense, but I think I could do it if I had bigger monitors...after a while though, the small tables start to hurt my eyes. I don't like to tile or stack the tables like some people do...for whatever reason I need to at least see my seat at all times. Of course if you're playing against really tough opponents, then I wouldn't advise having more than 4 or 6 tables. Also Omaha 8 is harder to multitable imo.
Whoa. So you can keep track of the betting patterns of 84 people at once?eta - i'm a donk, so apologies if this is a stoopid ? re: online poker (i only play live)
While I can't speak for Assani, I thought I might could help here...I play 6-8 tables at once and the VAST majority of online players play 6 max, instead of full ring, so for me, it's 30-40 people, and usually you have the same players at multiple tables.Not to mention there are tools out there that help, such as Poker Tracker which imports every hand history that you play and/or observe into a database and you can determine patterns/ranges etc on every players and PAHUD, which then takes those hand histories from the PT database and displays the stats in real-time, onto each table.Along with things like auto hot key and other things, it's an immense help when multitabling. Now, granted, you can't make as accurate reads as you could 4 tabling, but by playing more tables, you are able to increase your hourly wage a considerable amount.Hope that helps.

While I can't speak for Assani, I thought I might could help here...I play 6-8 tables at once and the VAST majority of online players play 6 max, instead of full ring, so for me, it's 30-40 people, and usually you have the same players at multiple tables.Not to mention there are tools out there that help, such as Poker Tracker which imports every hand history that you play and/or observe into a database and you can determine patterns/ranges etc on every players and PAHUD, which then takes those hand histories from the PT database and displays the stats in real-time, onto each table.Along with things like auto hot key and other things, it's an immense help when multitabling. Now, granted, you can't make as accurate reads as you could 4 tabling, but by playing more tables, you are able to increase your hourly wage a considerable amount.Hope that helps.
It does, thanks. Wasn't considering the tools that you have at your disposal with OLP...but WTF is auto hot key?

Its really not as intimdating as it sounds. I'd say that the average B&M player could easily 4 table with a little practice.You do miss out on a lot of things when you add many more tables, but thats the price you have to pay in order to get more hands in. Mostly when you're multitabling you are only going to have time to notice hands that you're involved in, and most of your notes will come from those.Eddie, gave a lot of good points as well, and I agree with them.

CGRdrJoe said:
Quick background on me:Was in great shape until I was around 21 or so due to HS and college athletics. Then found poker, got girlfriend, stopped caring as much, and got a bit out of shape. Have been trying to get back in shape these past few years, and I always seem to go through cycles.These past 2 months I've completely changed the way I've looked at fitness and health. I've stopped torturing myself. I read threads where newbies ask for fitness tips and they're instantly hit with info overload like "eliminate HFCS, eat oatmeal in the morning, eat cottage cheese before bed, no sodas or alcohol, make sure to eat breakfast, 5 or 6 small meals per day, make sure to lift, do this kind of cardio, and so on and so on..." and I just think that its way too much of a chore that way.I've started doing things when and how I want them. I've cut out the horrible things like fast food and soda, but I allow myself to eat as much as I want of sensible foods at any time I want. And I've found sports(mostly basketball) that I enjoy playing. I usually like lifting weights so I do...but if I don't feel like lifting one day, then I'll just skip it. Or if I'd rather go swim at my pool than go to the gym, I'll do that. I think that we know enough as a society to be in good shape. Our general obesity has nothing to do with lack of knowledge and everything to do with lack of enjoyment and sustained motivation.I am lucky in that I have plenty of free time due to my job and lack of girlfriend/wife and other responsibilities. This lets me spend a lot of time at the gym. I probably spend anywhere from 15-20 hours per week there. In general I do something like this:Monday and Thursday: Short cardio, chest, tris, shoulders, abs, quads.Tuesday and Friday: Short cardio, bis, back, hamstrings.Wed and Sat: Full court basketballSunday: Sometimes rest, sometimes basketballOf course I never do anything I don't feel like doing. Sometimes I'll get to the gym and just feel like playing basketball, so I'll just do that. This is key imo, as after 2+ months I'm still very much enjoying things and don't feel burned out at all.I'm under 200 lbs now, can probably bench around 280 or so(don't max so I don't know, but I can do 10 reps of 225 without a spotter), and most importantly to me I can play basketball all day and not really get that tired. I've achieved a lot in 2 months, and I'm very pleased in this area of life right now.

Playing under Dodds is going well. I've started shortstacking NL ring games(min. buy in). This was a PM I sent Dodds a week ago:

Buy in for the minimum($40 at $1/2, $80 at $2/4). If you ever double that, leave that table as soon as your next blinds get to you.

-The strategy works for a few reasons. First off, many short stacked players are very bad in general I've found. Of course I'm not bad(I hope), yet most opponents instantly label a shortstacked player as below average. Thats good for us. Secondly, many players simply don't adjust for a shortstack. For example, if I raise to $8 and an opponent has a small PP then hes getting correct implied odds to call if I'm a normal stack, but not if I'm a shortstack. Third, many times in multiway pots it will be correct for a shortstack to maximize his EV by actually playing -EV vs you(but +EV towards the other bigger stacks in the hand of course). Obviously this is good for us. And finally, people simply are more willing to gamble when you have no chips behind you. I dunno....maybe these players really have been playing this bad all along and they just havn't shown down their hands, but just in this past session I got called on my all ins with hands like 77, Q8!!!, and AJ.

-Rolf Slotboom(sp?) wrote an Omaha book that explains his shortstacked strategy. I take a lot from that but apply it to hold em....its an interesting read if you get the chance(even if you don't care for Omaha).

-Basically what I do is to raise all monsters(JJ-AA) my normal amount as if I were deepstacked....this lets people make the mistake of not properly calculating their implied odds. If there are limpers or a raise in front of me then I'll push with these hands as well as with AK, AQ, TT, and 99. With any raise in front of me, I'm folding anything else unless I have a great read. Thats basically it....sounds too simple to work, but I really think it does.

-This strategy has the added benefit of letting us gain FPPs with minimum risk. If it works at these lower levels(which I'm fairly certain it will, as I have done it in the past with solid success at $1/2 and lower) and our bankroll increases then we could even sample it at higher stakes and see how it goes. Since I'm 100% sure to beat the Omaha8 games, all I really want from this strategy is to be a slight winner and gain massive FPPs...anything else is gravy.

-In blind vs blind situations, I believe that Sklansky had a section of one of his books(forget which one...maybe his NLHE T&P) where he went through each hand against a random opponent's hand and said how much you could have in your stack and still profitably push preflop....I'll have to go back and re-read that section to refine my game.

-I'm experimenting with slowplaying(limping with AA or KK), but I don't think its really that necessary. Also since I'm not limping AT ANY OTHER TIME, I think it'd become obvious after a while. If I get a monster in the SB and its folded to me, then I usually will slowplay since most aggressive players will raise when the SB completes.

-There are a few hands that I'm unsure how to play:

AQ, 88, 99 in EP/MP when its folded to me.

99,TT, JJ, AQs facing a raise in front of me.

77, 88, AJ, QK in LP when folded to me.

I've since refined it quite a bit and am constantly making adjustments. I think it is a very very successful strategy, and I've worked my way up to playing $5/10 already using it.

-I'm experimenting with slowplaying(limping with AA or KK), but I don't think its really that necessary. Also since I'm not limping AT ANY OTHER TIME, I think it'd become obvious after a while. If I get a monster in the SB and its folded to me, then I usually will slowplay since most aggressive players will raise when the SB completes.-There are a few hands that I'm unsure how to play:AQ, 88, 99 in EP/MP when its folded to me.77, 88, AJ, QK in LP when folded to me.
It sounds like limping might be your best bet. Maybe limp/raise with AA/KK, limp/call with a big ace, and limp/fold with middle pairs.

guru_007 said:
still playing under Dodds. Was going fairly well until yesterday when things just went horrible. Getting good 'rakeback' through PokerStars bonuses though, which is helping a lot. Gonna concentrate on Omaha8 a lot in the next week, as I feel as if its the game with the lowest risk for me.

Hey Assani -

Got a little inside info. that you may be able to use. About a half dozen girls from Hawaiian Tropic Zone in nyc are moving out to Vegas for 8 weeks to train the girls at the new HTZ at Planet Hollywood. They fly out there Friday night, you might want to check out the new HTZ and try working them - a few of them are pretty friendly and you might have an "in" being from the East Coast. I was talking with one last night from Brooklyn who filled me in. Apparently they are getting paid $1500 a week for 8 weeks and they are all sharing a house (with a few managers I think). She kept asking me if I was going to go out there and visit her, I should have at least gotten her number. :lmao:

cool stuff...HTZ is a bar? Never been to Planet Hollywood, maybe I'll check it out soon.
HTZ = Hawaiian Tropic Zone - it is a bar restaurant, think of an upscale ESPN Sports Zone, but less on the sports side, the nyc location didn't even have the NFL Sunday ticket, I assume the Vegas one will.

Things going well under Dodds. I'm playing a ton of PLO8 online. Havn't been playing much live. Have my bankroll to over $10K now, not even including the money Robert still owes me. Gonna buy a new tv, but other than that I'll just save the rest. Havn't been playing much live, which is why I havn't been giving many updates or hand examples. O8 is way easier to win at than HE online imo.Have had some friends visit and have started to meet some people around town, which has been fun. No great stories yet of Vegas nightlife, but I'll keep you posted. Have continued to go to gym almost every day and stay in shape.Robert wants me to go visit Thailand...lol. I told him to get his money situation straight first(and let me do the same) then I'll think about it. It seems like a fun place though- if you're interested, go read the enormous thread on it in the travel forum at twoplustwo.

Fun to meet someone from this board for the first time. I wasn't as successful in my poker session, but I rebounded to play much better Friday at 2-5 NL. That is, until the very last hand, where I donked off $300+. I had gotten a rack for my chips as I planned to leave before the blinds got to me. Next hand, I looked down at TT, raised, got 2 callers. Low flop, but somewhat connected, I bet, got raised, pushed stupidly, and got called by the nut straight. Irony at its best, folks. I'm not moving to Vegas to play poker professionally anytime soon.

Assani Fisher said:
Your Mother said:
Things going well under Dodds. I'm playing a ton of PLO8 online. Havn't been playing much live. Have my bankroll to over $10K now, not even including the money Robert still owes me. Gonna buy a new tv, but other than that I'll just save the rest. Havn't been playing much live, which is why I havn't been giving many updates or hand examples. O8 is way easier to win at than HE online imo.Have had some friends visit and have started to meet some people around town, which has been fun. No great stories yet of Vegas nightlife, but I'll keep you posted. Have continued to go to gym almost every day and stay in shape.Robert wants me to go visit Thailand...lol. I told him to get his money situation straight first(and let me do the same) then I'll think about it. It seems like a fun place though- if you're interested, go read the enormous thread on it in the travel forum at twoplustwo.
so you moved to vegas to only end up playing online fulltime again?

You're still cool with the guy? It sounded he was stiffing you for the money?

Fun to meet someone from this board for the first time. I wasn't as successful in my poker session, but I rebounded to play much better Friday at 2-5 NL. That is, until the very last hand, where I donked off $300+. I had gotten a rack for my chips as I planned to leave before the blinds got to me. Next hand, I looked down at TT, raised, got 2 callers. Low flop, but somewhat connected, I bet, got raised, pushed stupidly, and got called by the nut straight. Irony at its best, folks. I'm not moving to Vegas to play poker professionally anytime soon.
:confused: Let me know about that MNF game man.

Yeah I guess so, but its very refreshing to have the option to play live too. I know many people often look at this as "easy", but I do put in 50+ hours every single week, and its very rare that I take a break for more than one day. So its nice to be able to keep things as fresh as possible.

:lmao:What does "I'm playing under Dodds" mean?
dodds is bankrolling him i believe.
Wow. :thumbup:
Online only I think
Yeah, this is correct. Talked about it a bit earlier. Didn't want to be bankrolled at all, but Dodds had a really cool idea that we worked out so I went with it. Going well so far.

Nah, he'll get it to me when he can. He apologized for everything and we're ok.

Assani, you are some seriously good people. I definitely want to play with you the next time I come to Vegas in March.

Assani, you are some seriously good people. I definitely want to play with you the next time I come to Vegas in March.
haha thanks man....I mean we've been friends for years so one thing isn't going to ruin that.Send me a PM before you come and we'll exchnage numbers. Dodds and Eddie may be out here by then too...not sure though.

haha thanks man....I mean we've been friends for years so one thing isn't going to ruin that.Send me a PM before you come and we'll exchnage numbers. Dodds and Eddie may be out here by then too...not sure though.
God I hope so, but I'm thinking more April/May will be when I actually am able to move out there. I'm still going pro Feb. 1, but probably won't be able to move out there until then...I hope I'm wrong, but I'm living rent free right now, so I think staying in that situation for a couple of extra months would be beneficial, more so than being able to play higher, live.But I WILL be out there in time for the WSOP this year. I'm so stupidly stoked for that it's not even funny. If you followed our Real World:WSOP thread from last year, you'll see that I really thought that if I could stay in Vegas for the entire WSOP, I'd be able to make at least a year's salary during it (7-8 weeks). So being able to give that a shot this year should be pretty much a dream-come-true as well as lucrative as all hell. :thumbup:I may make a trip out there for March Madness, just because, but I can't say for sure yet. For those that may care, I'll keep ya posted.

God I hope so, but I'm thinking more April/May will be when I actually am able to move out there. I'm still going pro Feb. 1, but probably won't be able to move out there until then...I hope I'm wrong, but I'm living rent free right now, so I think staying in that situation for a couple of extra months would be beneficial, more so than being able to play higher, live.But I WILL be out there in time for the WSOP this year. I'm so stupidly stoked for that it's not even funny. If you followed our Real World:WSOP thread from last year, you'll see that I really thought that if I could stay in Vegas for the entire WSOP, I'd be able to make at least a year's salary during it (7-8 weeks). So being able to give that a shot this year should be pretty much a dream-come-true as well as lucrative as all hell. :shrug:I may make a trip out there for March Madness, just because, but I can't say for sure yet. For those that may care, I'll keep ya posted.
:shrug: :yes: :no:

Yeah I guess so, but its very refreshing to have the option to play live too. I know many people often look at this as "easy", but I do put in 50+ hours every single week, and its very rare that I take a break for more than one day. So its nice to be able to keep things as fresh as possible.
Seems like there might be some positive tax implications of living in Vegas too as a professional player. You wouldn't have any trouble generating some "gambling losses" via ATM receipts on a frequent basis and just pay some bills with cash or money orders. Not that I would condone or endorse that type of behavior. ;)

he should have a ***** hiding in a bowl of rice waiting for him.

Brag:

On 10/16 Dodds and I had $7011 in our online account. Here is how it progressed(numbers taken at the beginning of each day):

10/17: $8320

10/18: $9058

10/19: DAY OFF

10/20: $11,986

10/21: $12,331

10/22: $12,102

10/23: $12,797

Right now: $14,532

$3000 of that was a bonus, the rest is winnings. Within 3 days we should get another $1500 bonus(although it'll take another day or two to clear it).

We started with $2500 in the account less than a month ago, so we're up just over $12,000. For the first $16,250 won I will get 60% and Dodds gets 40%. After that until January 1st, I will get 90%.

About 3:30AM now...think I'll go play live(my sleep schedule is sooooo messed up right now). Might check out the Planet Hollywood Poker room for the first time.

cool stuff...HTZ is a bar? Never been to Planet Hollywood, maybe I'll check it out soon.
HTZ = Hawaiian Tropic Zone - it is a bar restaurant, think of an upscale ESPN Sports Zone, but less on the sports side, the nyc location didn't even have the NFL Sunday ticket, I assume the Vegas one will.
Was at Planet Hollywood this past Saturday night. Was with a girl though, so not exactly the best idea to try to meet any of those girls then though. But I really liked PH as a whole. We went to Heart Bar I think it was called, which was pretty nice. And the casino overall looks and feels very new and clean imo.As I said in the above post, I'm headed there tonight to check out the poker room.

Was at Planet Hollywood this past Saturday night. Was with a girl though, so not exactly the best idea to try to meet any of those girls then though. But I really liked PH as a whole. We went to Heart Bar I think it was called, which was pretty nice. And the casino overall looks and feels very new and clean imo.As I said in the above post, I'm headed there tonight to check out the poker room.
If you do make it to HTZ it wouldn't hurt to say to one of the girls with a smirk on your face, "You are from the East Coast aren't you?" and if they ask how you knew just say I can tell by your accent.

Review of the Planet Hollywood:

Pros:

Clean, nice looking, and spacious room

solid cocktail service with fairly attractive waitresses

Was very soft tonight(obviously not sure about always)

Nice and friendly floor who bought us all sandwiches and donuts

Cons:

Max of $200 buy in on $1/2

Not as many games running as the bigger rooms

No comp card

If you've been following my blog, you'll remember that I said the softest game I ever sat in was my first night ever at the MGM....well this rivaled that. I sat down and it was only 5 handed. But the game quickly grew and there were just some horrible players at the table.

Two big hands that I had early on in the session:

7 handed, I have AKs in the BB. MP fish raises to $10. Total maniac on the button min raises to $20....he could literally(and I mean literally) have 27os here and it wouldn't surprise me. I pop it to $100 and I have about $80 behind. I GET 3 CALLERS! Flop comes AK9 with 2 diamonds. I briefly contemplate a slowplay, then I realize how utterly stupid that would be with a pot so big. I push for $80 more and they all fold.

Very next hand I get QQ. A ton of limpers, I raise to $17 and get 4 callers. Flop comes J82 with 2 clubs. MP fish bets $50, maniac calls. I raise to $250. SB basically lets the entire table know that he has the flush draw by his talk and folds after thinking for 2 or 3 minutes. MP fish and maniac call me, MP fish is now all in. Turn is a 9. Maniac checks, I put him all in for about $200 more, he calls. River is a ten of clubs....pretty good card for me, giving me the straight now. I show my QQ. MP fish shows J7os and mucks it. Maniac shows JQ and we split the pot. Oh well, not horrible but still sucked to split.

Table talk was ridiculous. Through small talk I revealed to a few people that I was a pro. The dealer imparts some great advice: "You'll never make it as a pro playing No Limit...too many swings. Stick to limit." Ummmmmm....ok. Maniac then tells me that hes thinking about going pro. He then asks me "How do you do it?" regarding downswings. I tell him that if you're properly bankrolled its not a big deal. He repeats "Yeah, but how do you do it?" about 5 times as I look at him quizically.

Guy to my immediate right tells me that hes down $2300 on his trip just from buying in $100 at a time. He then asks me "If you wanted to make $2300 back in one session, what would you play? Should I shortstack a huge game at the Bellagio?" I mean, I never want to turn a fish into a decent player, but I felt pretty bad for the guy. That was nothing though.....he then says "Yeah I'm down about $70,000 overall playing poker.....if I wanted to take a shot to win that all back in one session, what stakes do you think I should play?" I really didn't even know what to say.

Anyway, ended up winning $545 in less than 5 hours....not bad at all. Probably will check Planet Hollywood out again, although I do think the no comp card thing kinda sucks, as unless you get a good floorperson who is willing to hook you up you're going to miss out on comps(and even when he does hook you up, I then usually feel obligated to throw him $5).

Alias said:
Assani Fisher said:
If you do make it to HTZ it wouldn't hurt to say to one of the girls with a smirk on your face, "You are from the East Coast aren't you?" and if they ask how you knew just say I can tell by your accent.
:fishing: :boxing: :moneybag: Will do if I go there and will provide trip report.

Review of the Planet Hollywood:

Guy to my immediate right tells me that hes down $2300 on his trip just from buying in $100 at a time. He then asks me "If you wanted to make $2300 back in one session, what would you play? Should I shortstack a huge game at the Bellagio?" I mean, I never want to turn a fish into a decent player, but I felt pretty bad for the guy. That was nothing though.....he then says "Yeah I'm down about $70,000 overall playing poker.....if I wanted to take a shot to win that all back in one session, what stakes do you think I should play?" I really didn't even know what to say.

Anyway, ended up winning $545 in less than 5 hours....not bad at all. Probably will check Planet Hollywood out again, although I do think the no comp card thing kinda sucks, as unless you get a good floorperson who is willing to hook you up you're going to miss out on comps(and even when he does hook you up, I then usually feel obligated to throw him $5).
$100K buy-in heads up with jwvdcw...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to play live more than on-line? Especially on weekends when vegas is crowded with the weekend travelers just there for fun (ie non-pros).

Also, why would you ever mention that you are a pro at a table full of lesser players?

If someone ever did that at a table I was at in vegas I would either tighten my play up so much that my #### hole hurt or I would get up and find another table...

:goodposting:

Do these dates look accurate for March Madness?

March 19th-24th is when I am shooting to be out there next, a long time away...

http://www.tickco.com/sports_basketball_nc...ent_tickets.htm
That's the first weekend of the tourney (64 --> 16), it's a little later than usual this year.
Just an FYI to those who care- the first weekend of the NCAA's is Easter weekend next year. I'll be out there weekend #2 because of that. A little less fun in the sportsbook, but still plenty of great games.

Joe T said:
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to play live more than on-line? Especially on weekends when vegas is crowded with the weekend travelers just there for fun (ie non-pros).Also, why would you ever mention that you are a pro at a table full of lesser players?If someone ever did that at a table I was at in vegas I would either tighten my play up so much that my #### hole hurt or I would get up and find another table... :thumbup:
There is a loud and obnoxious regular at my local casino who will often mention he's a pro while needling other players. That, along with his LAG style, gets him a ton of action and weaker players often start trying to make (bad) moves at him.

Users who are viewing this thread