What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (1 Viewer)

So I've determined that I'm going to try to get into THIS TOURNAMENT by playing THESE SATELLITES. The last step of those pays out cash to some spots in addittion to the tourney entry to the top spot, so that'll keep me from spending too much money chasing the entry imo. Plus you can win more than one and just take $11,000 in W$. I think the lower steps are really really soft. Plan is to spend an entire day or two just playing step 1s and getting as many step 2 entries as possible then move up and take it one day at a time.
I'm pretty sure you know this but just in case, buy W$ using real cash in the 2+2 T$/W$ exchange thread. You can buy W$ for about 88-90% value so it's cheaper to buy in to these satellite tournaments.Every little bit helps. GL :popcorn:

So I'm no longer under playing under Dodds. We had a really good run:51 days played$19,036 wonHe got $6029; I got $13,007We had one bad run in the early stages which shook our confidence, but other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.I'm probably going to keep playing PLO8 and NLO8 on Stars and Full Tilt. I'll add in some MTTs too. Hopefully I can consistently build the bankroll at O8 and then all I need is one big score in a tourney to be set. Then I'd probably just focus on tourneys as they are just so much easier and less stressful for me.
Nice job on the staking results. Question on the second part: do MTTs maximize your $/hr while minimizing your risk of busto?
Eh, not really sure. As far as maximizing $/hour...well MTTs obviously are more spuradic(I know I butchered the spelling there) in that you'll go for weeks slowly losing money before winning a big one while cash games should expect to be much more consistent(although obviously still having swings). Risk of busto seems to have more to do with the buy ins you are playing compared to your bankroll. If you play well within your bankroll then your risk of busto should be very close to zero(also assuming you move down if need be and assuming that you're a solid winning player of course).

So I've determined that I'm going to try to get into THIS TOURNAMENT by playing THESE SATELLITES. The last step of those pays out cash to some spots in addittion to the tourney entry to the top spot, so that'll keep me from spending too much money chasing the entry imo. Plus you can win more than one and just take $11,000 in W$. I think the lower steps are really really soft. Plan is to spend an entire day or two just playing step 1s and getting as many step 2 entries as possible then move up and take it one day at a time.
I'm pretty sure you know this but just in case, buy W$ using real cash in the 2+2 T$/W$ exchange thread. You can buy W$ for about 88-90% value so it's cheaper to buy in to these satellite tournaments.Every little bit helps. GL :popcorn:
I actually didn't know this....explain to me what I need to do please. Thanks for the tip.Edit: Nevermind, found the thread in MTT community. Yeah I did kinda know about this but never really looked into it. Seems like 95% is the going rate now. Not only does this help me initially, but if I win 2 seats and get $11,000 in W$ then this may help me out as I'll just sell them here. Thanks man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have played step 1s today and got 28 tickets to step 2(top two spots win tickets). . Will play the step 2s tomorrow.

Have played step 1s today and got 28 tickets to step 2(top two spots win tickets). . Will play the step 2s tomorrow.
How many step ones did you play?

I suppose it's just different styles and mindsets but I'm a daily online NL cash game player at $1/2 and $2/4 and I can't see how being a tournament player is less stressful. You can have such long droughts in tournaments and you really don't make much unless you final table. You could be playing perfectly and still not cash in 20 tourneys in a row. That has to be frustrating. And they can take so long to play. Plus they go slower because I'm used to playing six-handed tables. In cash games, I just slowly build a nice monthly income. I try to do two sessions a day, probably averaging less than two hours a session. I rarely find it stressful.

Well it looks as if PokerStars may stop the step tournaments this Sunday, as the PCA Event is filling up quicker than they anticipated. Well this certainly affects my plan....

PokerStars hasn't said what they'll do with all of the unused Step tickets. My buddy sent them an email and they replied that exchanging them for cash was unlikely and that they may allow you to use them in their next Step Satellites for what EPT/WPT Event is up next....ugh, hate that idea. At the very least I would want W$ or T$. I'll just complain as much as I can if they refuse....hopefully I can just get money.

I still have 28 step 2 tickets, as they weren't running that regularly today due to Thanksgiving so I didn't play. I'll play a bunch tomorrow I guess.

I'm happy to say that I'm fully a $2/5 player now live. I say "fully" because theres always that adjustment period you have to make whenever you move up. Its funny.....I've played $50/100 NL against some of the best players in the world, have been in $10,000 buy-in MTTs, and have played for a living for 4 years and yet I was still nervous and scared for the first few $2/5 sessions. The psychology of it all fascinates me. But I'm 3/3 with winning $2/5 live session, as in addition to the Venetian session I discussed a few days ago I have also logged small($100-$300) wins at MGM and Wynn. Nothing real interesting from the MGM session, but the Wynn session provided a few good hands.....

Hand of the Day #1

Usually with these hands of the day I stop at one point in particular and ask for comments and advise then give the results and my thoughts looking back. With this hand, however, there are literally interesting decisions on every street, so I don't know where I would stop. So I'll just go through everything all at once and provide my results, reasoning at the time, and thoughts looking back all at once....

Two villians in this hand. One in MP seems like an experiened player who was a regular in the room. Young guy, aggressive at times, think he might have even been a $5/10 regular. He had about $1000. He was visibly upset at me because I had flopped top set against him earlier and check raised him and when he asked if I had his overpair(which he showed before folding) beat I showed him one of my cards. He actually called me a #### for doing it...meh, I don't think theres anything wrong with it. Anyway, that had just happened a few minutes before this hand. He is in MP.

Other villian was a typical fish. No clue why he was playing $2/5 unless the $1/3 game was filled up. He only bought in for $200 and was now down to $90. He is in SB.

I am in BB. I've only been at the table for maybe 30 minutes. I've won one big pot with that set.. I've played 2 or 3 other hands, nothing too memorable except for one in which I raised preflop, continuation bet, and then folded when I was check raised(I had QQ and an ace came on the board that hand). I have both villians covered with about $1300. I get QQ this hand.

Maybe a limper before MP- I don't remember. Anyway, MP raises to $35. BB pushes all in for $90. I elect to flat call here, and I'm interested in thoughts on this. I would say that BB's range is 88-AA, AK, AQ, and maybe even AJs, QKs, or 77. So clearly I"m ahead of his range with my QQ. MP is much harder to read.....while he was mildly upset at me, it wasn't affecting his play and he wasn't tilting imo. $35 is a decent sized raise. I could try to isolate BB, but if MP calls me then I'm scared to death to play this hand out of position. Anyway I call.

He just calls. Interesting. I didn't sense strength. No real reasoning I can put in words to say why though. I definitely think he would be a player capable of flat calling with AA/KK there to trap, but I didn't think so here. I thought AK, JJ, TT were all very likely.

Flop comes J32 with 2 spades. Theres now $270+ in the pot and one player is all in. I hate the jack out there. AK of spades would probably play it aggressively enough that I'd be folding to him.

I decided to check and see what he did. Looking back I think this was a mistake because it doesn't put him to any sort of test nor does it give me the most amount of information. I dunno though...on one hand, I hate betting into a dry side pot when I'm not sure I can beat either player. And if he raised I clearly would have to fold.

Anyway, as I said I checked. He bet $50.....ugh, such a strangely small amount. I mean, I dunno.....I just can't see folding here. If he has JJ then hes giving me a really really cheap 2 out draw to stack him.

I call. Turn is a low spade, puttting 3 of them out there. I do NOT have a spade. Whats your move?

My thinking at this point is that I am a bit scared, out of position, and theres a lot of money in the pot- so if I can just see a showdown cheap I'll be happy. The spade had to scare him a bit, so I'll check and hope for a free card. I do think this was the right play here.

I checked. He bet $100, which just confused the hell out of me....thats two straight ridiculously small bets. The jack of spades was not out there, so maybe he had JJ with the spade draw too, but even still I think he has to fear a higher spade a bit since its clear by my call preflop that I most likely have some high cards in my hand. Theres really only one card in the deck that can come on the turn that makes me anything resembling confident(and even then the three spades are still a slight concern, although his betting $50 on the flop would make him holding two spades a lot less likely imo...well, I dunno maybe AK of spades would bet it there actually).

I thought for a while and called. Still not sure about it and I'd welcome comments. Just too much money already in the pot though imo.

River is brutal: another low spade. I'm pretty much check/folding at this point now.

I check, he checks. He shows TT with the ten of spades to take the $300 side pot. All in player shows JJ with the jack of spades to take the main pot.

Hand of the Day #2

The second hand involved the fish from the first hand. He now had a healthy stack of around $300 or so. I still had around $1000. I had been active with my preflop raises mostly because I had been getting some decent cards...nothing too noticeable though imo. I doubt anyone really had labeled me as anything yet.

Two limpers including fish from first hand. I'm on button with AJs and I raise to $25. Both blinds and both limpers call, which really wasn't what I wanted(was hoping to isolate fish as he had shown a willingness to call raises if he had limped nearly all of the time unless the raise was very high). Flop comes 69J with two spades(I don't have spades).

Everyone checks to me, I bet $40. Everyone folds to villian who calls.

Turn is a 9. I hated this card because he had shown a willingness to call with middle or even bottom pair in previous hands. At the same time though, there were a lot of draws out there. I checked.

River is a 6. No flush or straight was completed. He bets out $65. Your move.

What I did

I called. He showed 9J. I mucked.

What I think I should've done

I had never seen him caught bluffing, so I had no clue whether or not he was capable or likely to do so here. But with all of the draws out there and with me having played the hand very similar to AK it does make a lot of sense to me. I was getting an astounding 4-1 on the call. I dunno...the only reason I question the call is because I really really did think that the nine was a horrible card for me once it fell(it was, but little did I know that I was already beat before that too). I dunno...I think I have to call there though.

Hand of the Day #3

Villian was a relative TAG I guess. He had check raised flops twice on previous hands. Both of our stacks are around $1000.

One limper to me in LP. I get QQ(for the 3rd time) and raise to $25. Villian is in SB and re raises to $50. BB calls, limper calls.

I felt as if there was a decent chance I was beat. If rags came and he bet out big, I was folding. Just my read, could've been wrong though. I do hate to let two others in the pot though, but I had decided to pretty much play for set value here and to just use my position and postflop skills in the hand.

Flop comes TT6 with 2 diamonds. Villian checks. My first thought is "he would definitely do that with AA....just seemed like the type of move that he loves." BB bets $25, MP calls. Up to me. Whats your move?

What I did

I raised to $100. Villian raised to $300. At this point I was clearly folding no matter what, but I mucked my hand extra quickly when BB flat called!

The hand was checked down after the flop, which confused the hell out of me. Villian showed AA. BB showed JQ of diamonds(such a horrible play not only because of the crazy flush chase but also because he had every chance to steal the pot with a bluff/semi bluff after the flop or even with an all in on the flop).

What I think I should've done

I'm going back and forth on this one. On one hand, I did most definitely sense the check raise coming. But on the other hand, I'm sure that part of me is being results oriented. He could've easily had AK or even a medium pocket pair that for some reason was trying to isolate me preflop(although that makes his flop check a strange play imo). And I can't give flush draws for only $25 when there was $200+ in before we even saw the flop. Meh, I dunno.

I suppose it's just different styles and mindsets but I'm a daily online NL cash game player at $1/2 and $2/4 and I can't see how being a tournament player is less stressful. You can have such long droughts in tournaments and you really don't make much unless you final table. You could be playing perfectly and still not cash in 20 tourneys in a row. That has to be frustrating. And they can take so long to play. Plus they go slower because I'm used to playing six-handed tables. In cash games, I just slowly build a nice monthly income. I try to do two sessions a day, probably averaging less than two hours a session. I rarely find it stressful.
True, but if you're an online tourney pro then playing 20+ per day isn't anything difficult, so this statement of yours isn't as meaningful. Overall I understand what you're saying, but I think that tourneys require less effort and concentration imo. The level of play in tourneys is much lower, so early in a tourney you're just playing basic ABC poker. And late in a tourney the blinds are always so high that most decisions are simple(like push or fold). In a cash game the decisions can be much more complex since the stacks are so much deeper and players are so much more capable. I simply find that it takes more out of me to play cash because of this. Where I could play tourneys all day long while I watch tv and not feel exhausted at all, after a few hours of NL cash games I definitely need a break.

How many step ones did you play?
no clue, just 12 tabled for a fairly long session and constantly reloaded them as I busted out or won.

Just to add: I absolutely love the Wynn. God I wish the games were softer though. I only have played $1/3 twice there while I've played 10+ times at MGM simply because I have to make the +EV decision. And I'm getting the feeling that with $2/5 I'll probably end up playing more at the Bellagio simply due to softer games.

Really short walk, great staff, gorgeous cocktail waitresses, nice room, no max buy ins, and just something extra that makes me love it...not really sure what it is. For example, I can't name one thing thats wrong with the Venetian but for whatever reason I just don't like it quite as much.

Disregarding toughness of games, my room rankings of Vegas and AC:

1. Wynn(Vegas)

2. Borgata(AC)

3. Venetian(Vegas)

4. Taj(AC)

5. MGM(Vegas)

6. Bellagio(Vegas)

7. Planet Hollywood(Vegas)

Thats probably my top tier. All of those places I'll continue to go to. Any place not listed(in either AC or Vegas) didn't impress me enough to care to go back, although I'm sure that I'll eventually give most places a few more tries(and theres still many many places that I've yet to see).

Hand #1: Bet the flop! Or, worst case, c/r it. You played this so horribly passive that you have NO idea where you are in the hand. I'm not concerned about BB...he wasn't deep enough. We have a strong hand (on the flop) and need to maximize value. MP'll let you know if you shouldn't like it. Had you played it faster, you might have made some money vs losing as much as you did.

Hand#2: I think the best line is to b/f the turn then check behind the river (or fold to a decent bet). You force draws to pay on the turn and if he's a pretty weak player as you describe him, you can fold to a c/r on the turn. He's not c/r'ing KJ, but bet your ### you're maximizing value from that type of hand.

Hand #3: Tricky spot. I think there's a case to be made for RR'ing preflop w/ all the limp-callers. But if you decide to just call, I think raising is correct on the flop. Once SB RR's and gets called, you have to muck. A few different lines seem good here and the one you took is just fine, imo.

And as for your room ranking goes, I've never been to the top 2 in your list (Wynn due to the known nittiness of their games, Borgata as never having been to AC as an adult). But I sure do love the Venetian. Absolutely love it. Soft (reasonably so) games, great room, spacious, great staff...good times.

And come June next year, your and my ###'s will be firmly planted at the Rio for weeks on end. The games are STUPID soft there during the WSOP.

In the meantime, God I'm so insanely jealous & frustrated that on any given day, you can wake up, hit the gym, freshen up, and have your choice of places to go play, day-in and day-out. *sigh*...a few more months. That said, I love reading the updates man. Please keep them coming!

Thanks for all the thoughts.....

fasteddie_21 said:
Hand #1: Bet the flop! Or, worst case, c/r it. You played this so horribly passive that you have NO idea where you are in the hand. I'm not concerned about BB...he wasn't deep enough. We have a strong hand (on the flop) and need to maximize value. MP'll let you know if you shouldn't like it. Had you played it faster, you might have made some money vs losing as much as you did.
Hmmmmm....well I think we can safely say that hes probably not calling or raising me if I bet out $150+ unless I'm beat. So I can see the reasoning for that. My only defense is that by checking I did get him to put $150 in the pot with a worse hand, no? I think I'm much more likely to make money on the side pot by checking. However, with so much in the main pot already I can understand the need to protect it.I understand that people usually hate passive play, but it is warranted in some cases and it can help avoid trouble in some cases. I can definitely understand wanting to bet out though(although I hate check raising).
fasteddie_21 said:
Hand#2: I think the best line is to b/f the turn then check behind the river (or fold to a decent bet). You force draws to pay on the turn and if he's a pretty weak player as you describe him, you can fold to a c/r on the turn. He's not c/r'ing KJ, but bet your ### you're maximizing value from that type of hand.
Agreed, although(and maybe I'm being results oriented) I really did feel as if he was helped by the turn. The only problem with your strategy is that if he flat calls the turn bet and then leads out(now for a bigger amount since the pot is even bigger) on the river I'll end up calling anyway since I'll be in the same spot with not knowing if hes bluffing a missed draw or not. In fact, if I were in his shoes I would do just that.
fasteddie_21 said:
Hand #3: Tricky spot. I think there's a case to be made for RR'ing preflop w/ all the limp-callers. But if you decide to just call, I think raising is correct on the flop. Once SB RR's and gets called, you have to muck. A few different lines seem good here and the one you took is just fine, imo.
Agreed. Just a sucky spot though.
fasteddie_21 said:
And as for your room ranking goes, I've never been to the top 2 in your list (Wynn due to the known nittiness of their games, Borgata as never having been to AC as an adult).
Make it to the Borgata if you ever can. I'd definitely say its worth a trip out there just to play poker there, although I'd go in teh summer to enjoy the beach too. Wynn's $1/3 is very tough for a $1/3(or $1/2) game. Wynn's $2/5 is only marginally tougher thaany other $2/5 imo, although I have a very limited sample size for sure.
fasteddie_21 said:
But I sure do love the Venetian. Absolutely love it. Soft (reasonably so) games, great room, spacious, great staff...good times.
Yeah, its a very good room. Almost too spacious for me though, as weird as that sounds...I feel like you lose part of the "atmosphere" due to that. Also a much longer walk to the room than the Wynn.
fasteddie_21 said:
And come June next year, your and my ###'s will be firmly planted at the Rio for weeks on end. The games are STUPID soft there during the WSOP.
totally. Rio during WSOP time would be #1 on my list.
fasteddie_21 said:
n the meantime, God I'm so insanely jealous & frustrated that on any given day, you can wake up, hit the gym, freshen up, and have your choice of places to go play, day-in and day-out. *sigh*...a few more months. That said, I love reading the updates man. Please keep them coming!
You'll be out here soon enough man.

Two hands I found interesting:

Full Tilt Poker Game #4290690760: Table Jewel Springs - $5/$10 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 7:13:42 ET - 2007/11/25

Seat 1: Assani Fisher ($1,308.55)

Seat 2: fightingchicken ($950)

Seat 3: maddog8 ($1,047)

Seat 4: SwingRoll ($390)

Seat 5: desgrippes ($1,456.75)

Seat 6: CameoCandy ($801)

Seat 7: shoe44 ($315)

Seat 8: justnutzzz ($1,322.25), is sitting out

Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop ($1,739.55)

HipHopNDontStop posts the small blind of $5

Assani Fisher posts the big blind of $10

The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Assani Fisher [2s Qc 9s Ac]

fightingchicken has 15 seconds left to act

fightingchicken calls $10

maddog8 folds

SwingRoll calls $10

desgrippes calls $10

CameoCandy has 15 seconds left to act

CameoCandy raises to $65

shoe44 folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $55

fightingchicken calls $55

SwingRoll has 15 seconds left to act

SwingRoll calls $55

desgrippes calls $55

*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Ok, so we have $325 in the pot, 5 players, I have top and bottom pair and a bad flush draw with no low draw, I'm first to act. Whats your play?

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken checks

SwingRoll checks

desgrippes checks

CameoCandy bets $140

Small bet could be a lot of things. He was last to act and could've seen the turn for free. Three guys left to act behind me. Whats your play?

Results:

Assani Fisher has 15 seconds left to act

Assani Fisher has requested TIME

Assani Fisher calls $140

justnutzzz has returned

fightingchicken folds

SwingRoll folds

desgrippes folds

*** TURN *** [Qs 5s 2c] [Th]

Assani Fisher bets $610

CameoCandy calls $596, and is all in

Assani Fisher shows [2s Qc 9s Ac]

CameoCandy shows [7h Ah 3c 7d]

Uncalled bet of $14 returned to Assani Fisher

*** RIVER *** [Qs 5s 2c Th] [Kc]

Assani Fisher shows two pair, Queens and Twos, for high

CameoCandy shows a pair of Sevens, for high

Assani Fisher wins the pot ($1,799) with two pair, Queens and Twos

CameoCandy is sitting out

No low hand qualified

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $1,802 | Rake $3

Board: [Qs 5s 2c Th Kc]

Seat 1: Assani Fisher (big blind) showed [2s Qc 9s Ac] and won ($1,799) with HI: two pair, Queens and Twos

Seat 2: fightingchicken folded on the Flop

Seat 3: maddog8 didn't bet (folded)

Seat 4: SwingRoll folded on the Flop

Seat 5: desgrippes folded on the Flop

Seat 6: CameoCandy showed [7h Ah 3c 7d] and lost with HI: a pair of Sevens

Seat 7: shoe44 (button) didn't bet (folded)

Seat 8: justnutzzz is sitting out

Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop (small blind) folded before the Flop

Full Tilt Poker Game #4290757076: Table Jewel Springs - $5/$10 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 7:30:18 ET - 2007/11/25

Seat 1: Assani Fisher ($2,299.55)

Seat 2: fightingchicken ($219)

Seat 3: maddog8 ($1,292.50)

Seat 7: shoe44 ($617.50)

Seat 8: justnutzzz ($1,153)

Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop ($1,786.55)

Assani Fisher posts the small blind of $5

fightingchicken posts the big blind of $10

The button is in seat #9

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Assani Fisher [Ah 4c Js 9d]

maddog8 folds

shoe44 folds

justnutzzz folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $5

maddog8 stands up

fightingchicken checks

*** FLOP *** [7s As Jc]

Assani Fisher bets $10

*** TURN *** [7s As Jc] [Kh]

Assani Fisher bets $22

fightingchicken calls $22

*** RIVER *** [7s As Jc Kh] [Ks]

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken bets $84

What do you put villian on? What do you take his pot sized river bet to represent? Perhaps most importantly, what do you think he thinks I have? It just didn't add up to me and I called. Results in white:

Assani Fisher calls $84

*** SHOW DOWN ***

fightingchicken shows [Kc 8c Jh Qd] a full house, Kings full of Jacks, for high

Assani Fisher mucks

fightingchicken wins the pot ($249) with a full house, Kings full of Jacks

No low hand qualified

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $252 | Rake $3

Board: [7s As Jc Kh Ks]

Seat 1: Assani Fisher (small blind) mucked [Ah 4c Js 9d] - HI: two pair, Aces and Kings

Seat 2: fightingchicken (big blind) showed [Kc 8c Jh Qd] and won ($249) with HI: a full house, Kings full of Jacks

Seat 7: shoe44 didn't bet (folded)

Seat 8: justnutzzz didn't bet (folded)

Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop (button) didn't bet (folded)

I'm curious...

Now that you're a baller and all that playing 2/5 :thumbup: , do you still buy in for $500 in the uncapped games or $1k?

And if you buy into the 2/5's for $1k, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying the 5/10 uncapped at the "V". I found it quite soft and pretty easy pickins....

Just to add: I absolutely love the Wynn. God I wish the games were softer though. I only have played $1/3 twice there while I've played 10+ times at MGM simply because I have to make the +EV decision. And I'm getting the feeling that with $2/5 I'll probably end up playing more at the Bellagio simply due to softer games. Really short walk, great staff, gorgeous cocktail waitresses, nice room, no max buy ins, and just something extra that makes me love it...not really sure what it is. For example, I can't name one thing thats wrong with the Venetian but for whatever reason I just don't like it quite as much.Disregarding toughness of games, my room rankings of Vegas and AC:1. Wynn(Vegas)2. Borgata(AC)3. Venetian(Vegas)4. Taj(AC)5. MGM(Vegas)6. Bellagio(Vegas)7. Planet Hollywood(Vegas)Thats probably my top tier. All of those places I'll continue to go to. Any place not listed(in either AC or Vegas) didn't impress me enough to care to go back, although I'm sure that I'll eventually give most places a few more tries(and theres still many many places that I've yet to see).
Your top list as it pertains to vegas seems odd to me. Granted, I am sure they are in fact very nice rooms as I have been to them all. I would think however that you would be looking for the easiest play not the best of rooms. In my experiance (all of three weeks in vegas, but lots of "posting research") the MGM is the only one on your list that I would agree with because of the ease of play. Personaly I found "TI" to be a very good place to play and had very good luck there. Also tops on my list is the Monte Carlo - two tables of tourists 1/2 NL "who saw it on TV" and wanted to give it a shot. The Falmingo was another room I found to be soft. Also on the list (with MGM) is Excalliber and Luxor.It just seems like the play at your list were the rooms I thought had the best players.

Full Tilt Poker Game #4290690760: Table Jewel Springs - $5/$10 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 7:13:42 ET - 2007/11/25

The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

maddog8 folds

SwingRoll calls $10

desgrippes calls $10

CameoCandy raises to $65

shoe44 folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $55

SwingRoll calls $55

desgrippes calls $55

*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Ok, so we have $325 in the pot, 5 players, I have top and bottom pair and a bad flush draw with no low draw, I'm first to act. Whats your play?

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken checks

SwingRoll checks

desgrippes checks

CameoCandy bets $140

Small bet could be a lot of things. He was last to act and could've seen the turn for free. Three guys left to act behind me. Whats your play?

Results:

Assani Fisher calls $140

justnutzzz has returned

fightingchicken folds

SwingRoll folds

desgrippes folds

Assani Fisher bets $610

No low hand qualified

*** SUMMARY ***

Seat 1: Assani Fisher (big blind) showed [2s Qc 9s Ac] and won ($1,799) with HI: two pair, Queens and Twos

That takes stones to push there with two pair and a week Flush draw with your broken low draw.

Just to add: I absolutely love the Wynn. God I wish the games were softer though. I only have played $1/3 twice there while I've played 10+ times at MGM simply because I have to make the +EV decision. And I'm getting the feeling that with $2/5 I'll probably end up playing more at the Bellagio simply due to softer games. Really short walk, great staff, gorgeous cocktail waitresses, nice room, no max buy ins, and just something extra that makes me love it...not really sure what it is. For example, I can't name one thing thats wrong with the Venetian but for whatever reason I just don't like it quite as much.Disregarding toughness of games, my room rankings of Vegas and AC:1. Wynn(Vegas)2. Borgata(AC)3. Venetian(Vegas)4. Taj(AC)5. MGM(Vegas)6. Bellagio(Vegas)7. Planet Hollywood(Vegas)Thats probably my top tier. All of those places I'll continue to go to. Any place not listed(in either AC or Vegas) didn't impress me enough to care to go back, although I'm sure that I'll eventually give most places a few more tries(and theres still many many places that I've yet to see).
Your top list as it pertains to vegas seems odd to me. Granted, I am sure they are in fact very nice rooms as I have been to them all. I would think however that you would be looking for the easiest play not the best of rooms. In my experiance (all of three weeks in vegas, but lots of "posting research") the MGM is the only one on your list that I would agree with because of the ease of play. Personaly I found "TI" to be a very good place to play and had very good luck there. Also tops on my list is the Monte Carlo - two tables of tourists 1/2 NL "who saw it on TV" and wanted to give it a shot. The Falmingo was another room I found to be soft. Also on the list (with MGM) is Excalliber and Luxor.It just seems like the play at your list were the rooms I thought had the best players.
I think you missed the part where he said this was his rankings if you disregard the toughness of games - based purely on atmosphere and incidentals.

Have you checked out the new HTZ? How is your social life out there, got any prospects? I will be out there the third week of March for March Madness as will a lot of other FBG's I imagine. We should set something up.

The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

maddog8 folds

SwingRoll calls $10

desgrippes calls $10

CameoCandy raises to $65

shoe44 folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $55

SwingRoll calls $55

desgrippes calls $55

*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken checks

SwingRoll checks

desgrippes checks

CameoCandy bets $140

Tricky spot. My O8 is pitiful, but there's some general NL stuff to note. The pot is quite large compared to stacks of the PFR/flopbettor Cameocandy (2x) and limp-checkers fightingchicken (2.75x), swingroll (1x). desgrippes also limp-checked but he has you covered. Even still, the pot is relatively large compared to your stack (only 5x). So against most of these guys, I think you're committed given your hand and the flop. This gives your decision more of a heads up against desgrippes flavor. You have to dodge all the lows and probably the kings and you won't be happy with a spade (far from the nuts and few redraws to a better hand) so that favors calling to see what desgrippes doesj (hopefully call) and evaluate the turn. Protecting your hand against crappy lows and better two pair draws points toward raising. I honestly don't know which is best. Better than checking may have been donking out to squeeze desgrippes into folding with the PFR still to act. Thoughts?

Gamblor said:
The Ref said:
I think you missed the part where he said this was his rankings if you disregard the toughness of games - based purely on atmosphere and incidentals.
OMG, you think. I need to get my eyes checked.At any rate - what are the softest rooms in Vegas In your opinion AF?

Gamblor said:
The Ref said:
OMG, you think. I need to get my eyes checked.At any rate - what are the softest rooms in Vegas In your opinion AF?
I know you asked AF, but MGM for 1/2 NL. You get so many tourists that flood into that hotel that it makes the perfect spot to go fishing.

I know you asked AF, but MGM for 1/2 NL. You get so many tourists that flood into that hotel that it makes the perfect spot to go fishing.
Again, you asked AF, but imo, the softest 1/2 game (is there really any "tough" 1/2 game?) is either the MGM or Planet Hollywood.The softest 2/5 would HAVE to be the Bellagio, if for no other reasons than it's the smallest NL game they spread and OMG IT'S THE BELLAGIO factor. People play there just to play at poker 'mecca'. Treasure Island also has a pretty soft 1/3 $500 max NL game, in my short time there. HTH's.

I'm curious...Now that you're a baller and all that playing 2/5 :thumbup: , do you still buy in for $500 in the uncapped games or $1k?And if you buy into the 2/5's for $1k, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying the 5/10 uncapped at the "V". I found it quite soft and pretty easy pickins....
I try to have everyone covered up to a reasonable amount(i.e. I'm not going to buy in for $7000 at $2/5 just because someone has $6900 because thats ridiculous and the money will never come into play except in the rarest of circumstances).However, I think you and I are thinking about bankroll management differently here. Playing $2/5 with $1000 is much much different than playing $5/10 with $1000. Right now, I'm on the edge of having a bankroll high enough for $5/10, but I want to be safe so I'm probably going to stick with $2/5 mostly, although I may actually play some $5/10 at the Bellagio this week since the WPT is here(but just like when I played $2/5 when you visited it will be a temporary thing and I"ll go back down shortly).

Have you checked out the new HTZ? How is your social life out there, got any prospects? I will be out there the third week of March for March Madness as will a lot of other FBG's I imagine. We should set something up.
I'm having a good time for sure. Meeting a few people here and there. No major girl in my life at all right now though. For sure let me know before you get here. HTZ...thats the bar at PH that you advised me to go to? Nah, havn't made it around to getting there yet.

The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

maddog8 folds

SwingRoll calls $10

desgrippes calls $10

CameoCandy raises to $65

shoe44 folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $55

SwingRoll calls $55

desgrippes calls $55

*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken checks

SwingRoll checks

desgrippes checks

CameoCandy bets $140

Results:

Assani Fisher calls $140

justnutzzz has returned

fightingchicken folds

SwingRoll folds

desgrippes folds

Assani Fisher bets $610

No low hand qualified

*** SUMMARY ***

That takes stones to push there with two pair and a week Flush draw with your broken low draw.
What hand do you put him on there that beats me for high considering his preflop raise and rather low flop bet?

The button is in seat #7

*** HOLE CARDS ***

maddog8 folds

SwingRoll calls $10

desgrippes calls $10

CameoCandy raises to $65

shoe44 folds

HipHopNDontStop folds

Assani Fisher calls $55

SwingRoll calls $55

desgrippes calls $55

*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Assani Fisher checks

fightingchicken checks

SwingRoll checks

desgrippes checks

CameoCandy bets $140

Tricky spot. My O8 is pitiful, but there's some general NL stuff to note. The pot is quite large compared to stacks of the PFR/flopbettor Cameocandy (2x) and limp-checkers fightingchicken (2.75x), swingroll (1x). desgrippes also limp-checked but he has you covered. Even still, the pot is relatively large compared to your stack (only 5x). So against most of these guys, I think you're committed given your hand and the flop. This gives your decision more of a heads up against desgrippes flavor. You have to dodge all the lows and probably the kings and you won't be happy with a spade (far from the nuts and few redraws to a better hand) so that favors calling to see what desgrippes doesj (hopefully call) and evaluate the turn. Protecting your hand against crappy lows and better two pair draws points toward raising. I honestly don't know which is best. Better than checking may have been donking out to squeeze desgrippes into folding with the PFR still to act. Thoughts?
Not sure I follow everything you're saying, but imo my two clear options were to check/fold the flop or to check/call the flop with the intention of pushing a non scary turn. I really can't see playing it any other way, although I'll listen to arguments. Its very likely imo that I'm significantly behind equity wise on that flop, and its very likely that I will check and see a ton of action and have to fold. Thats an action flop for sure.

At any rate - what are the softest rooms in Vegas In your opinion AF?
fasteddie_21 said:
Again, you asked AF, but imo, the softest 1/2 game (is there really any "tough" 1/2 game?) is either the MGM or Planet Hollywood.The softest 2/5 would HAVE to be the Bellagio, if for no other reasons than it's the smallest NL game they spread and OMG IT'S THE BELLAGIO factor. People play there just to play at poker 'mecca'. Treasure Island also has a pretty soft 1/3 $500 max NL game, in my short time there. HTH's.
In general I hate this question because it leads to people using way too small of a sample size and then giving definitive answers. Think about how easily our thoughts on this question can be shaped:-For one, we greatly overlook the role of luck. You could sit with a group of players, be completely card dead, get frustrated and make a few bad plays, lose all your money, and you'd think its a pretty tough game. Yet you could sit with those SAME EXACT PLAYERS and you could get tons of hands while your opponents constantly get coolers, they'd go on tilt and start to play bad, and you'd think its a great game to play in.-One or two horrible players can turn a game from bad to good.-I've been at casinos before where a game was ultra tough, I changed tables, and the new table was soft as hell....and I'd bet that many casinos have both soft and tough games at the same stakes running at once, and its random chance which one you get.-I think its very easy to let our preconceived notions influence our judgment. Example: We hear that the Wynn is tough for $1/3. We go play there and run bad and lose. From that point on, whenever someone asks us about the Wynn, we tell them thats its a tough game for sure.-And finally...it all depends on who decides to play that on the day that you do.If I were to take anyone's advice on a game being soft or tough I would want them to have one of the following:-At least 50 hours spread out over 10+ sessions at that card room-A good solid reasoning(example: Bellagio's $2/5 is softer than most because thats the lowest stakes they offer so the worst players there are forced to play that) and at least 3 sessions there to confirm their reasoning.Anyway, now that I've berated you guys for the question(in a friendly way of course), I'll answer....For $1/2, you should be able to find a soft game. If you can't then go somewhere else immediately. Theres no shortage of soft $1/2 games. $1/3 does seem to attract a bit tougher crowd. MGM is a solid suggestion, but theres really no reason to go there if you prefer another place better...every $1/2 game is soft. Go there, bet your big hands huge, don't bluff, profit.For $1/3, theres 3 games that I know of: Caesar's, Wynn, and TI....TI is a small room. A few of the allvegaspoker.com guys play there daily. The small overall number of players coupled with the locals has kept me away. Its also an older crowd, and I perfer the livliness of a place like MGM with younger people.Wynn gets critisized a lot for being a tough game, and its mostly true. There are a ton of regulars there mostly because they treat regulars so well.Caesar's...only played there once. Had a tough session, but it was mid-day on a Wednesday so take that FWIW.For $2/5, there are a ton of soft games. Although $2/5 will play a lot more like "real poker" and the players will take themselves way too seriously, they all suck. Your edges will be smaller because there won't be complete idiots and people are more capable of bluffing. But just play tight poker and you'll be good....I really wouldn't change strategy much from $1/2.I really can't recommend one place over another regarding $2/5. I think this level is the epitome of "it just happens which day you go play at that casino." I've played at MGM, Bellagio, Rio(during WSOP), Wynn, Taj(AC), and Borgata(AC) and I really can't think of any major differences in teh level of competition that I couldn't just chalk up to random luck of when I happened to play and who I got seated with.Overall, I've stopped worrying too much about it. I play where I enjoy playing. The differences are so minimal and random that I don't worry about it.

Reading the blog of "Leatherass" a pro who makes videos for Stoxpoker, and he was running badly and complaining about it. The following lines here really make you realize how long you have to take to reach the "long term" in poker:

I am down 1.33bb/100 over my last 41k hands now. And I am playing mostly 3/6 and 5/10 where I am a long term 5bb+/100 winner. It is truly gross that something like this is even part of this game. It truly makes me hate the game of poker when stuff like this happens. And like I said, if it only happened once in a blue moon I could swallow it much easier. But this is, oh I don’t know, like the 10th+ time something like this has happened this year. Maybe people just aren’t talking about it, but I can’t remember the last time someone I knew that was a 5bb+/100 winner had a single streak like this, much less 10 of them!

In all honesty I do love poker. I really do. But the thing that always gets me down on it is the bad runs. It really does take away from the game for me. I mean let’s really think about this. I have played 41k hands and lost money. 99.9% of the poker playing population will never play that many hands in their life. So to think that there could be a guy out there playing world class poker for his entire life, and not even know it because he is a lifetime loser. Hahah…I mean seriously what a joke. If you play live, it would take you about a year to play 41k hands if you played frequently. Can you imagine me playing golf frequently for a whole year at a PGA Tour level and not even know it? And not even being a good player? Ha! Yeah right. That to me is why my heart of hearts will always be with golf. I HATE the fact that in poker no matter what you do or how well you play, your results at times are not even remotely in your control.

Reading the blog of "Leatherass" a pro who makes videos for Stoxpoker, and he was running badly and complaining about it. The following lines here really make you realize how long you have to take to reach the "long term" in poker:

I am down 1.33bb/100 over my last 41k hands now. And I am playing mostly 3/6 and 5/10 where I am a long term 5bb+/100 winner. It is truly gross that something like this is even part of this game. It truly makes me hate the game of poker when stuff like this happens. And like I said, if it only happened once in a blue moon I could swallow it much easier. But this is, oh I don’t know, like the 10th+ time something like this has happened this year. Maybe people just aren’t talking about it, but I can’t remember the last time someone I knew that was a 5bb+/100 winner had a single streak like this, much less 10 of them!

In all honesty I do love poker. I really do. But the thing that always gets me down on it is the bad runs. It really does take away from the game for me. I mean let’s really think about this. I have played 41k hands and lost money. 99.9% of the poker playing population will never play that many hands in their life. So to think that there could be a guy out there playing world class poker for his entire life, and not even know it because he is a lifetime loser. Hahah…I mean seriously what a joke. If you play live, it would take you about a year to play 41k hands if you played frequently. Can you imagine me playing golf frequently for a whole year at a PGA Tour level and not even know it? And not even being a good player? Ha! Yeah right. That to me is why my heart of hearts will always be with golf. I HATE the fact that in poker no matter what you do or how well you play, your results at times are not even remotely in your control.
Funny you mention leatherass...we have a little group of guys that talk over AIM/Skype nightly...there's 5 of us. One of which is coached by leatherass. He's a sick, sick player, LA is...and I mean that in a good way.And yeah, you're right about the toughness of games...that's why I mentioned is there such a thing as a tough 1/2 game? :goodposting:

Rio during the WSOP are the bet games, though. Plain and simple.

brag: Had been having a pretty bad week. Then on Thursday I had my first $3000+ winning day in a very very long time. Did it playing O8 on full tilt.

ugh....

Full Tilt Poker Game #4361901269: Table Purple Majesty - $2/$4 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 21:27:57 ET - 2007/12/01

Seat 1: dskurtz14 ($368)

Seat 4: Napolino ($385.15)

Seat 5: Assani Fisher ($1,352.70)

Seat 6: gamefreak237 ($154.60)

Seat 7: onechaser ($180.55)

Seat 9: Cash Flow404 ($94.80)

gamefreak237 has 5 seconds left to act

gamefreak237 posts the small blind of $2

onechaser posts the big blind of $4

The button is in seat #5

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Assani Fisher [6h 2h Ad Ac]

Cash Flow404 folds

dskurtz14 has 15 seconds left to act

dskurtz14 calls $4

Napolino calls $4

Assani Fisher raises to $26

gamefreak237 folds

onechaser folds

dskurtz14 calls $22

Napolino calls $22

*** FLOP *** [7h 3h Ks]

dskurtz14 bets $342, and is all in

Napolino has 15 seconds left to act

Napolino has requested TIME

Napolino folds

Assani Fisher calls $342

dskurtz14 shows [2s Kd 4s Jd]

Assani Fisher shows [6h 2h Ad Ac]

*** TURN *** [7h 3h Ks] [As]

*** RIVER *** [7h 3h Ks As] [Ts]

dskurtz14 shows a flush, Ace high, for high anddskurtz14 shows 7,4,3,2,A, for low

Assani Fisher shows three of a kind, Aces, for high andAssani Fisher shows 7,6,3,2,A, for low

dskurtz14 wins the high pot ($382.50) with a flush, Ace high

dskurtz14 wins the low pot ($382.50) with 7,4,3,2,A

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $768 | Rake $3

Board: [7h 3h Ks As Ts]

Seat 1: dskurtz14 showed [2s Kd 4s Jd] and won ($765) with HI: a flush, Ace high; LO: 7,4,3,2,A

Seat 4: Napolino folded on the Flop

Seat 5: Assani Fisher (button) showed [6h 2h Ad Ac] and lost with HI: three of a kind, Aces; LO: 7,6,3,2,A

Seat 6: gamefreak237 (small blind) folded before the Flop

Seat 7: onechaser (big blind) folded before the Flop

Seat 9: Cash Flow404 didn't bet (folded)

carmelo123: im going to give you a hint

Mike Matusow: yes

Mike Matusow: im allears

carmelo123: me and yo go way back and i know wht is your best game

Mike Matusow: jacking off is my best game

wow, $25/50 game going now, seems like anything with a pro will fill up....probably way over my bankroll, but I"m gonna sit with a short stack

eta: LOL, nearly everyone at table is shortstack too...they must just want to play with Mike. $25/50 NL table and biggest stack is $1700....crazy.

edited again: Mike left $5/10, only at $25/50 now.

How are people getting money in full tilt these days? I had a visa gift card but that didn't work and epassporte seems to take a while to set up, is there any site that you can sign up at and get money in to fulltilt quickly? I love Hawaii but with the weather sucking I'm spending more time in my hotel room than on the streets.

How are people getting money in full tilt these days? I had a visa gift card but that didn't work and epassporte seems to take a while to set up, is there any site that you can sign up at and get money in to fulltilt quickly? I love Hawaii but with the weather sucking I'm spending more time in my hotel room than on the streets.
Either epassporte or player xfers. That's what I use(d).

Throw me a few extra dollars for the time and gas costs of driving to the bank and send me a check and I'll transfer you the money if you want. Will do this for anyone thats interested....just PM me for address to send check.

Users who are viewing this thread