What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pearl Jam Thread*** (1 Viewer)

'Bull Dozier said:
saw eddie in detroit last night. great show and a very nice set. was awesome to see him in a small venue like that.
What was the set like? Was it all uke? Some uke some accoustic? Anyone else on stage accompanying or just him all night? I've got tix for Saturday and I'm curious what the night will be like. I've seen song lists, but I don't know how they are being played. I've not seen Eddie solo before.
as noted he played the first few songs on the uke, then mixed it up the rest of the show.one of the best encore songs was him and glen singing "falling slowly" though i like that song a lot.i was hoping for "off the girl"the "man of the hour" was amazing and so was "off he goes"

Thanks for the reviews, nice so far!Okay, about the mini-bus. I need a more definitive head count here to see if it's even possible. 7 of the people in our group have made reservations on the cattle call bus, however I think I can get them to roll with this idea if I have enough people. Which means I would want at least a dozen folks from the Hampton/FBG crew onboard. I don't want to ask them to get out of their reservation (which won't be easy) only to see this thing fall apart. Thanks.
6 here

:(

Not so much about missing the actual music, as seeing Pearl Jam 20 times is probably enough, but would love to catch up with some folks as well as meet a few more of you guys.

what other bands change thir setlists every night? I know phish and dmb offhand, but what others?
My Morning Jacket does this.
guess i need to get into them. what album should i start with?
I normally wouldn't recommend a live album as an intro, but as much as I like their studio work, they are best live. So I would check out Okonokos. Studio album wise I would say check out Z and It Still Moves first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw MMJ open up for PJ in 05 or 06. They didn't impress me. Thought they were a bit boring. Never gave them a second shot

Thanks for the reviews, nice so far!Okay, about the mini-bus. I need a more definitive head count here to see if it's even possible. 7 of the people in our group have made reservations on the cattle call bus, however I think I can get them to roll with this idea if I have enough people. Which means I would want at least a dozen folks from the Hampton/FBG crew onboard. I don't want to ask them to get out of their reservation (which won't be easy) only to see this thing fall apart. Thanks.
6 here
Thanks. Let's keep a running total here then. I'll give up in a couple weeks if we don't get enough people from the Hampton.

what other bands change thir setlists every night? I know phish and dmb offhand, but what others?
I normally wouldn't recommend a live album as an intro, but as much as I like their studio work, they are best live. So I would check out Okonokos. Studio album wise I would say check out Z and It Still Moves first.
This is what I did (Okonokos) thanks to TU.And since then, I've dabbled into the studios, but I'd still recommend Okonokos first (sorta like how I'd recommend "A Live One" to somebody that wants to get a feel for Phish...like when you started the Phish thread, TF).Basically, you won't take Okonokos out of your car for a long time once you put it in.

Eddie was unbelievable last night. Glen Hansard was great. Crowd was unreal. They both commented on it a few times. Eddie's new version of Better Man was one of the highlights for me, as was the pair singing Falling Slowly. That blew the doors off. Great, intimate venue. Far exceeded my high expectations.

Eddie was unbelievable last night. Glen Hansard was great. Crowd was unreal. They both commented on it a few times. Eddie's new version of Better Man was one of the highlights for me, as was the pair singing Falling Slowly. That blew the doors off. Great, intimate venue. Far exceeded my high expectations.
Yeah, I read the reviews that the crowd was awesome :thumbup:

This is what I did (Okonokos) thanks to TU.And since then, I've dabbled into the studios, but I'd still recommend Okonokos first (sorta like how I'd recommend "A Live One" to somebody that wants to get a feel for Phish...like when you started the Phish thread, TF).Basically, you won't take Okonokos out of your car for a long time once you put it in.
I didn't realize it, but I have It Still Moves on my itunes, so I loaded it up as I worked outside yesterday. Listened to it about 1.5 though...I really dig it :thumbup:I'll probably keep it in rotation and get around to picking up Okonkos soon.

Usually don't find anything too interested on the message pit forums, but I strolled across this a few weeks ago and forgot to post it here until just now.

Is Who You Are the 3rd Most Important PJ Song?

I remember the first time I heard WYA, and I was a little taken back at first. It "didn't sound PJ", but being the die hard I was, I recorded it off the radio and replayed it a bunch. Now it's definitiely a top 10 PJ song for me and No Code is clearly my favorite album.

Just some interesting discussion there and what the song meant in the bigger picture of the band. Some things I had never considered before

I don't like No Code in comparison with the bulk of their work, but I understand it was a necessary move for them to make a record on their terms even if it meant almost intentionally turning away from the pure hook that they normally would lean on. I think "Given to Fly" is more important because it told the rest of us, hey we're not going just disappear down this downbeat, "challenging the listener" path that No Code hinted toward. That and Better man are more important than anything on No Code. Huge live staples too.

A few great songs on No Code though. Who You Are is blah but it leads right into In My Tree-Smile, one of my favorite PJ back to backs.

I don't like No Code in comparison with the bulk of their work, but I understand it was a necessary move for them to make a record on their terms even if it meant almost intentionally turning away from the pure hook that they normally would lean on. I think "Given to Fly" is more important because it told the rest of us, hey we're not going just disappear down this downbeat, "challenging the listener" path that No Code hinted toward. That and Better man are more important than anything on No Code. Huge live staples too.A few great songs on No Code though. Who You Are is blah but it leads right into In My Tree-Smile, one of my favorite PJ back to backs.
Agree with you on Given To Fly. Not sure how Better Man fits on the "important" scale, although its probably in my top 10 as well. With respect to No Code, I think what makes it my favorite is how increadible the songs are live. If I had to pick the best (not necessarily favorite) PJ song, it would be Present Tense. Think that song does the best job of taking all of the bands strengths into one.

Well I definitely developed more of an appreciation for a lot of the songs on No Code after 15 bazillion live boots. Like I said though, they just don't stand up with their better work overall to me, including 90% of their last two albums (or Into the Wild).

Better Man is one of their more transcendent tracks IMO.. given how long Vedder's been dragging it around with him and what a huge live staple it's been for so long now, it's pretty important IMO. Who You Are? Meh... I think the term "important" is applied pretty unconventionally here.

Well I definitely developed more of an appreciation for a lot of the songs on No Code after 15 bazillion live boots. Like I said though, they just don't stand up with their better work overall to me, including 90% of their last two albums (or Into the Wild).

Better Man is one of their more transcendent tracks IMO.. given how long Vedder's been dragging it around with him and what a huge live staple it's been for so long now, it's pretty important IMO. Who You Are? Meh... I think the term "important" is applied pretty unconventionally here.
Agree on both cases....very subjective discussion, but just one i had never put too much thought too. As one person put it in the thread, it's hard to argue that you can't get 3 more important songs than Once, Even Flow and Alive since that was the foundation of what PJ was built on.

Good band.
Live on Two Legs is still great. It's not Allman Brothers at Fillmore East great (not even close), but it's pretty good for a band that has gotten mixed reviews live.
1. Pearl Jam has gotten mixed reviews live? Link please?2. Live on Two Legs is decent, but it's not even an entire show. PJ has released hundreds of full length shows that blow LOTL out of the water

Has to be fishing here

Yeah, I read the reviews that the crowd was awesome :thumbup:
The crowd was great except for the ##### sitting next to me. He's got his cell phone out texting and emailing through the opener. Finally an usher comes over and tells him to put it away or he's out of there. After playing innicent he puts it away. He's had I don't know how many beers, and spends the rest of the concert spotting people with cell phones out and yelling "there's technology! There's technology!"I didn't like the new version of Better Man, but I just like hearing things they way I'm used to. I'm closed minded like that. Falling Slowly was pretty sweet though. The highlight for me was Porch though. I was surprised on how hard that could rock on an accoustic by itself.
Just got my lawn ticket today for the Sunday show. :thumbup: I'm officiall in!
We can hang as everyone else will be in the PJ roped off section:kicksrock:
they take the rope down when PJ takes the stage. I'm sure we'll all be able to figure something out.
They take the ropes down, but how early will you have to get in there to be close to the ropes? I'm driving in from the Twin Cities that day. I'm curious on how early I'll have to get there to have any hopes. But, I'm up for any cornhole I can get in on since I'll be flying solo.

Good band.
Live on Two Legs is still great. It's not Allman Brothers at Fillmore East great (not even close), but it's pretty good for a band that has gotten mixed reviews live.
1. Pearl Jam has gotten mixed reviews live? Link please?2. Live on Two Legs is decent, but it's not even an entire show. PJ has released hundreds of full length shows that blow LOTL out of the water

Has to be fishing here
Two strange posts in a row. (clayton and garrett)

The crowd was great except for the ##### sitting next to me. He's got his cell phone out texting and emailing through the opener. Finally an usher comes over and tells him to put it away or he's out of there. After playing innicent he puts it away. He's had I don't know how many beers, and spends the rest of the concert spotting people with cell phones out and yelling "there's technology! There's technology!"
I'm a little confused...you can't text during a concert?

The crowd was great except for the ##### sitting next to me. He's got his cell phone out texting and emailing through the opener. Finally an usher comes over and tells him to put it away or he's out of there. After playing innicent he puts it away. He's had I don't know how many beers, and spends the rest of the concert spotting people with cell phones out and yelling "there's technology! There's technology!"
I'm a little confused...you can't text during a concert?
Seriously? :confused:Edited to add: OK, let me clarify. This wasn't Apline Valley, or some stadium the concert was in, where obviously texting is not a big deal. This was a small, intimate venue where the lights are down, everyone is sitting, and people are listening to the act for the most part. I've got this drunken dude next to me talking non stop (well, only stopping to text or email on his smart phone where the 9 square inch screen in bright white so he might as well have been shining a flash light directly into my eyes given the light level there). It's less like a typical Pearl Jam "concert" and more like theatre (more like, not exactly).

I went to the show last night in Long Beach. My wife and I were at the front of the line to get a poster when they announced that they were sold out.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a poster for the Long Beach show? My wife was pretty bummed and it would be an awesome surprise if I can someone get one for us.

Good band.

Has to be fishing here
I couldn't believe I hadn't posted in this thread and was understating the obvious. No idea what Garrett was doing.

'Clayton Gray said:
Good band.

Has to be fishing here
I couldn't believe I hadn't posted in this thread and was understating the obvious. No idea what Garrett was doing.
Could have sworn you posted here before...it's not like I know how to check post counts in specific threads :lmao: . Welcome aboard :thumbup:

'Clayton Gray said:
Good band.

Has to be fishing here
Could have sworn you posted here before...it's not like I know how to check post counts in specific threads :lmao: . Welcome aboard :thumbup:
Click on the # of posts in the thread from the forum board.

Good band.

Has to be fishing here
Oh man, I gotten chime in and fall on my sword here.... :bag: I might have been up late after the 4th celebrations (fireworks/beer) and Pearl Jam came up on the rotation, it is possible I also saw a Pearl Jam thread pop up right on the main page at the same time and then decided that I (a casual Pearl Jam fan at best) was some sort of expert. I have only heard feedback about live Pearl Jam from friends and relatives so I really have no basis for my own opinion. So, basically, sorry for sidetracking this lengthy thread with my blabber (I do love the Allman Brothers though...).

Honest question though, I know Pearl Jam released tons of live concerts in the past. Are there any dates in particular that stand out above the others? For casual fans like myself, I am probably never going to listen to the entire catalog of lives shows just because of the volume, but I would love to know if there are one or two that really stand out as a great live recording.

Good band.

Has to be fishing here
Oh man, I gotten chime in and fall on my sword here.... :bag: I might have been up late after the 4th celebrations (fireworks/beer) and Pearl Jam came up on the rotation, it is possible I also saw a Pearl Jam thread pop up right on the main page at the same time and then decided that I (a casual Pearl Jam fan at best) was some sort of expert. I have only heard feedback about live Pearl Jam from friends and relatives so I really have no basis for my own opinion. So, basically, sorry for sidetracking this lengthy thread with my blabber (I do love the Allman Brothers though...).

Honest question though, I know Pearl Jam released tons of live concerts in the past. Are there any dates in particular that stand out above the others? For casual fans like myself, I am probably never going to listen to the entire catalog of lives shows just because of the volume, but I would love to know if there are one or two that really stand out as a great live recording.
big fan of Live at Benaroya Hall (10/22/03) and Mansfield, MA (07/11/03)

Forgot to mentrion that I was listening to the radio show last week with The Young Evils. They sing together and I couldnt decide if I liked it or not. I couldnt get enough of a feel during the few songs I heard. I thought it was interesting though.

I also heard Star Anna :thumbup: but missed the Liam Finn show this week.

Forgot to mentrion that I was listening to the radio show last week with The Young Evils. They sing together and I couldnt decide if I liked it or not. I couldnt get enough of a feel during the few songs I heard. I thought it was interesting though.I also heard Star Anna :thumbup: but missed the Liam Finn show this week.
McCready shreds with Star on the pj20 site.

Yeah I don't really have a magic list of the best boots, but I'm sure the pearl jam boards have plenty of rankings if you can wade through the 20 tons of nonsense. I know Mansfield and maybe State College from that same tour are widely appreciated. My recommendation would be find something that has the most songs you like on it.

Forgot to mentrion that I was listening to the radio show last week with The Young Evils. They sing together and I couldnt decide if I liked it or not. I couldnt get enough of a feel during the few songs I heard. I thought it was interesting though.I also heard Star Anna :thumbup: but missed the Liam Finn show this week.
IT's on itunes - search "all encompassing trip"saw liam open up for eddie a few years back and it was a great show. One of those performances that made me go out and buy the album the next day :thumbup:

Sitting here recovering from the last week of shows, ugh... Lotta fun with good friends and totally worth it, save for maybe the San Diego show, which was a lackluster night. I'm worked, especially with it coming on the heels of a 4th of July weekend, which by the way, is why San Diego was so-so. SD is never like that either, he loves the place, but I shoulda seen that one coming. Santa Barbara was the best of the four for sure. Actually, each show was better than the previous, which is kind of cool now that I think about it -- would suck if it were the other way around.

I don't really feel like any reviews and I'm sure you've seen them already if you're interested. My review(s) would suck anyway cuz it's so foggy now, gawd dammit. Hate that. I am downloading them as I type, however, and that should bring some of it back. Hit me up if any of them interested you. They're from some dude we met on the train on the way back, who I ended up giving a ride to the airport. Nice of him to surprise me with these...as a kind of 'thank you' I'm sure. They're from megaupload, fyi, so I can just forward the email to ya. BTW, is there anything wrong with sharing too many or something? I don't want to bum this guy out. BTWX2, I need help getting #### from my d/l folder into my actual iTunes. I have a ton of stuff in there that I keep meaning to transfer...just have never gotten around to learning how...idiot. :bag:

As for seats, the 10C allocations seemed totally random by all accounts. I actually probably ended up with the best ones of all of us, landing 10th row center at the Santa Barbara Bowl, which were incredible. We didn't hear about anybody scoring very close to that in SB. The Bowl has to be one of my favorite venues ever, place is awesome. Always good crowds there too...

I don't really feel like any reviews and I'm sure you've seen them already if you're interested. My review(s) would suck anyway cuz it's so foggy now, gawd dammit. Hate that. I am downloading them as I type, however, and that should bring some of it back. Hit me up if any of them interested you. They're from some dude we met on the train on the way back, who I ended up giving a ride to the airport. Nice of him to surprise me with these...as a kind of 'thank you' I'm sure. They're from megaupload, fyi, so I can just forward the email to ya. BTW, is there anything wrong with sharing too many or something? I don't want to bum this guy out. BTWX2, I need help getting #### from my d/l folder into my actual iTunes. I have a ton of stuff in there that I keep meaning to transfer...just have never gotten around to learning how...idiot. :bag:
You can't burn his megaupload out. Once its online you're good to go for unlimited downloads. He has no idea how often it's been pulled down. Find files in Download folderOpen ItunesDrag files from DL Folder into list on iTunes. TADA! :clap:Ill take a pm with the links if you got em! :whistle:

Sitting here recovering from the last week of shows, ugh... Lotta fun with good friends and totally worth it, save for maybe the San Diego show, which was a lackluster night. I'm worked, especially with it coming on the heels of a 4th of July weekend, which by the way, is why San Diego was so-so. SD is never like that either, he loves the place, but I shoulda seen that one coming. Santa Barbara was the best of the four for sure. Actually, each show was better than the previous, which is kind of cool now that I think about it -- would suck if it were the other way around.I don't really feel like any reviews and I'm sure you've seen them already if you're interested. My review(s) would suck anyway cuz it's so foggy now, gawd dammit. Hate that. I am downloading them as I type, however, and that should bring some of it back. Hit me up if any of them interested you. They're from some dude we met on the train on the way back, who I ended up giving a ride to the airport. Nice of him to surprise me with these...as a kind of 'thank you' I'm sure. They're from megaupload, fyi, so I can just forward the email to ya. BTW, is there anything wrong with sharing too many or something? I don't want to bum this guy out. BTWX2, I need help getting #### from my d/l folder into my actual iTunes. I have a ton of stuff in there that I keep meaning to transfer...just have never gotten around to learning how...idiot. :bag:As for seats, the 10C allocations seemed totally random by all accounts. I actually probably ended up with the best ones of all of us, landing 10th row center at the Santa Barbara Bowl, which were incredible. We didn't hear about anybody scoring very close to that in SB. The Bowl has to be one of my favorite venues ever, place is awesome. Always good crowds there too...
I'd also love a PM with the links. Is the Long Beach show one of them?Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread