Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Pearl Jam Thread***

I remember this one show at Irvine Meadows where they just said screw it, and played through the curfew. It was something like 5 or 10K a song. Edward said he didn't give a schhit, that it was worth it. He also tagged a song with Snoop Dogg, lol, so that was the mood he was in. Wonder why they didn't do the same thing, especially given the occasion. Fine must be large or something. Still shoulda done it.

BTW, it was Tiger Fan that did the sliding faceplant with plumber's crack on the lawn in front of 5,000 people and only arrested himself by landing in someones picnic, not TU, but whatever. :banned:

Tonight's setlist from Winnipeg:

01. Why Go

02. Animal

03. All Night

04. Corduroy

05. Arms Aloft-(Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummer)

06. Amongst The Waves

07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town {Ed says "I would like to send this one out to our friends Chris and Mira}

08. Wishlist

09. Daughter/WMA/It's OK-(Cole)

10. Green Disease

11. The Fixer

12. Evenflow

{Ed forgets how to start "I Got ####". Stone shows him the first chords. Ed then talks about recording the "Mirror Ball" album with Neil Young. Ed says that he only recently came to the realization that part of "I Got ####" is very similar to Neil's "Cinnamon Girl"}

13. I Got ####/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) {very brief only repeats a line twice}

14. Down

15. Olé

16. Unthought Known

17. Once

ENCORE BREAK 1

18. Inside Job

{Ed talks about hockey player Randy Jones and his wife driving for 36 hours to come to Winnipeg and them listening to Pearl Jam radio for all but one of those 36 hours. This prompts the crowd to chant "go Jets go". Ed joins in playing guitar and singing "go Jets go" with the crowd}

19. Just Breathe (For Randy and Stephanie)

20. Present Tense

21. Comatose {The band starts song playing wrong chords. They stop playing and Mike starts into "Ain't Talking 'bout Love". Matt and Jeff join in while Ed dances. It doesn't last long before they start playing "Comatose"}

22. Porch (during the outro Ed sings while standing on the barricade)

ENCORE BREAK 2

23. Search And Destroy w/ Mark Arm & Steve Turner of Mudhoney-(Pop, Williamson) {At Ed's request Mark Arm dedicates the song to Ed's brother Mike and his wife Sandy and congratulations them on the birth of their son}

24. Crazy Mary-(Williams)

25. Alive

26. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) {Ed says "this is for the Jets. Go Jets}

27. Indifference

I'm confused...did they not break curfew at pj20 both nights? Alpine said it was supposed to end at 11 or 11:30. Unless that's not what you guys are talking about...

They break curfew quite a bit from what I understand.

Edited by Bobcat10

HFS

Saskatoon is getting one HELLUVA set tonight:

Setlist:

1. Interstellar Overdrive- Corduroy

2. All Night

3. God's Dice

4. Got Some

5. In My Tree

6. Dissident

7. Untitled

8. MFC

9. Red Mosquito

10. Nothing As it Seems

11. Given To Fly

12. Do The Evolution

13. In the Moonlight

14. Black

15. Spin the Black Circle

16. Setting Forth

17. Not For You

18. Alive

Encore Break 1

19. Small Town

20. Just Breathe

21. Unthought Known

22. Even

23. Betterman (I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend/Save it For later)

Encore Break 2

24. Running Back to Saskatoon (The Guess Who)

25. Why Go

26. The Fixer

27. Running Back to Saskatoon (The Guess Who) (tried it a 2nd time w/an audience member)

28. Porch

29. Baba O'Riley

Edited by Tremendous Upside

PJ20 soundtrack now available on Spotify

:thumbup:Anyone going to see PJ20 tonight? The NYC premiere was sold out quick, so I will have to wait until this weekend (they are having a week long extended run here)Interested to hear people's reviews Edited by Tremendous Upside

:thumbup:Anyone going to see PJ20 tonight? The NYC premiere was sold out quick, so I will have to wait until this weekend (they are having a week long extended run here)Interested to hear people's reviews
not showing in Memphis at all. I saw a post at 10C that one of the forum members supposedly contacted Malco theaters here in Memphis and got the response that the company had asked to show it, but the band/whomever declined. Sounds like BS to me.

Show tonight sold out in a flash. Added a second show on Friday and that's also sold out. Wake up, PJ, and play Orlando more than once a decade.

I realize I am incredibly spoiled living here in NYC when it comes to PJ. I really don't know why they don't play down there more often. Hell, Saskatoon has gotten more shows in the past 6 years than Orlando has.

Show tonight sold out in a flash. Added a second show on Friday and that's also sold out. Wake up, PJ, and play Orlando more than once a decade.

I realize I am incredibly spoiled living here in NYC when it comes to PJ. I really don't know why they don't play down there more often. Hell, Saskatoon has gotten more shows in the past 6 years than Orlando has.
I've hightailed it to Tampa and W. Palm Beach when necessary, I'd settle for an appearance in the f'n state at this point. I realize they probably have much stronger fan bases elsewhere, but for God's sake, there are 19 million people in this state.

I've hightailed it to Tampa and W. Palm Beach when necessary, I'd settle for an appearance in the f'n state at this point. I realize they probably have much stronger fan bases elsewhere, but for God's sake, there are 19 million people in this state.
A quick look shows their last Orlando performance wa son the 03 tour? Wow

Take your ####in mouse ears behind Phoenix in the line of places they routinely snub. Going to see it at ipic tonight. Food, booze, and PJ on a big screen. Not a bad combo. They added something like 80 bajillion unplanned showings this week. The wife still got the tix to the first. :wub: Edited by Bob Sacamano

A quick look shows their last Orlando performance wa son the 03 tour? Wow
They did play Kissimmee (neighboring town) on the Rock the Vote mini-tour in '04 (I think) as well. Nothing for the last 7 years, though.

Take your ####in mouse ears behind Phoenix in the line of places they routinely snub. Going to see it at ipic tonight. Food, booze, and PJ on a big screen. Not a bad combo. They added something like 80 bajillion unplanned showings this week. The wife still got the tix to the first. :wub:
:thumbup:EnjoyHere's an interesting article about Mookie Blaylock and the band:http://deadspin.com/5841829/the-enduring-myth-of-mookie-blaylock-and-pearl-jam

Take your ####in mouse ears behind Phoenix in the line of places they routinely snub. Going to see it at ipic tonight. Food, booze, and PJ on a big screen. Not a bad combo. They added something like 80 bajillion unplanned showings this week. The wife still got the tix to the first. :wub:
The one nice thing is they're showing it at the Enzian theater/cafe. Rather than a standard theater, it's basically a huge dining room with a screen. You get to sit around on couches and they have waitress service to bring you food/beer/liquor. Should be a great time. Unfortunately, the show is at 9:30, which provides me with the ever-dangerous 4 hour pre-movie block of time to "tailgate", followed by full bar during the movie, which won't end until 11:30. I'm going to feel like ### tomorrow at work.

The one nice thing is they're showing it at the Enzian theater/cafe. Rather than a standard theater, it's basically a huge dining room with a screen. You get to sit around on couches and they have waitress service to bring you food/beer/liquor. Should be a great time. Unfortunately, the show is at 9:30, which provides me with the ever-dangerous 4 hour pre-movie block of time to "tailgate", followed by full bar during the movie, which won't end until 11:30. I'm going to feel like ### tomorrow at work.
:goodposting:Not until 10 PM here...so I too will be nicely in to some preshow cocktailsMight have to sneak some red wine in in Eddie's honor

:thumbup:EnjoyHere's an interesting article about Mookie Blaylock and the band:http://deadspin.com/5841829/the-enduring-myth-of-mookie-blaylock-and-pearl-jam
Before reading the first sentence of that article it had never occurred to me that "Pearl Jam" is a reference to male genetic material. :bag:

Before reading the first sentence of that article it had never occurred to me that "Pearl Jam" is a reference to male genetic material. :bag:
It's not, at least according to the band. From what I recall, it was supposedly a reference to Eddie's grandmother's (named Pearl) recipe for a hallucinogenic jam made from peyote. At least, that's what was said - I don't know if that story was invented to hide the fact that the name was a euphemism, or whether the reference to baby batter was just assumed by some foul-minded individuals.

Although, Wiki says this :

In an early promotional interview, Vedder said that the name "Pearl Jam" was a reference to his great-grandmother Pearl, who was married to a Native American and had a special recipe for peyote-laced jam.[16] In a 2006 Rolling Stone cover story however, Vedder admitted that this story was "total bull####", even though he indeed had a great-grandma named Pearl. Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young, in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length, a practice known as jamming.[2]

Going to the Movie tonight, the Concert tomorrow in Calgary, and on Friday in Edmonton. Seen PJ 5 times so far but never on the same tour..... Anyone ever done 2 within a week in different cities? Will the setlists for the two shows be different, and by how much?

Yeah, they will definitely be differentPJ prides themselves on mixing up their setlists.You'll likely hear about 30 songs at each show, and only 6 or 7 of them will be repeats (likely Even Flow, Alive, Do The Evolution, Given to Fly, Corduroy, The Fixer, etc)Enjoy!Come back after the shows and give us a review...hope you have a great time!

Going to the Movie tonight, the Concert tomorrow in Calgary, and on Friday in Edmonton. Seen PJ 5 times so far but never on the same tour..... Anyone ever done 2 within a week in different cities? Will the setlists for the two shows be different, and by how much?

Yeah, they will definitely be differentPJ prides themselves on mixing up their setlists.You'll likely hear about 30 songs at each show, and only 6 or 7 of them will be repeats (likely Even Flow, Alive, Do The Evolution, Given to Fly, Corduroy, The Fixer, etc)Enjoy!Come back after the shows and give us a review...hope you have a great time!
NICE! Can't wait! Best show I've seen them at was in San Diego, but my Front row in Calgary at a festival was amazing too. Excited for this tour, I'll come with reviews for sure, but I'm sure it'll be awesome!

:thumbup:Anyone going to see PJ20 tonight? The NYC premiere was sold out quick, so I will have to wait until this weekend (they are having a week long extended run here)Interested to hear people's reviews
:hey: I will be seeing it in Tucson tonight.

Haven't played Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or Atlanta since 2003. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are all top 10 ranked cities based on population. They did play Austin City Limits in 09, which was in the middle of those 3...but I don't count that

HFSSaskatoon is getting one HELLUVA set tonight:Setlist:1. Interstellar Overdrive- Corduroy2. All Night3. God's Dice4. Got Some5. In My Tree6. Dissident7. Untitled8. MFC9. Red Mosquito10. Nothing As it Seems11. Given To Fly12. Do The Evolution13. In the Moonlight14. Black15. Spin the Black Circle16. Setting Forth17. Not For You18. AliveEncore Break 119. Small Town20. Just Breathe21. Unthought Known22. Even 23. Betterman (I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend/Save it For later)Encore Break 224. Running Back to Saskatoon (The Guess Who)25. Why Go26. The Fixer27. Running Back to Saskatoon (The Guess Who) (tried it a 2nd time w/an audience member)28. Porch29. Baba O'Riley

Did you find the set list prior to the show? IF so, wondering if where I can find the one for Calgary tomorrow.... Tenclub doesn't post until after the show don't they?

Haven't played Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or Atlanta since 2003. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are all top 10 ranked cities based on population. They did play Austin City Limits in 09, which was in the middle of those 3...but I don't count that
They HATE the South.

Absolutely loved the movie. I would not bring a non-die hard to the movie as I think that individual might find it a bit slow. This wasn't Pearl Jam "Behind the Music" replete with creepy atmospheric sound and numerous tales of woe.

Much of the early part of the film is centered around the formation of Pearl Jam and the effect that Andy Wood's death had on the scene at the time. Some pretty poignant stuff from Stone, Jeff, Chris Cornell, etc. Everyone in this thread probably knows the story by now, but there were a few details I wasn't privy to and it really got in depth as to the ripple effect that Wood's OD had on many members of the Seattle soundscape. Spent some time on Ed's introduction to the band and how things took off, their relationship with Soundgarden, the early years, etc. Moved on to their early success and how that was handled, Ed's brush with stalkers, Cobain's suicide and the relationship Eddie and Kurt had, etc. Talked about the band almost breaking up in the "Yield" era, Jeff and Stone gradually ceding control of the band to Ed and his artistic energy, etc. No new light shed on anything drummer-related, if you're expecting more than "this guy didn't work out, then this guy left, etc...," don't. They spent some time on the Ticketmaster imbroglio and their motivation behind that push, and its ultimate failure. I'd say 90% of the movie takes place between Mother Love Bone and "Binaural" with the Roskilde tragedy in 2000 being emphasized as a turning point in the band's evolution. There's really not a whole lot to tell over the last decade, I suppose, and this time period is largely used as a "we came out of this in one piece" summation of the movie.

There are a handful of genuinely funny moments, and all the band members come off really well, as intelligent, motivated, and thoughtful people. Lots of terrific archival footage and some excellent live performances. It's clearly less of a hard-hitting doc than it is a love letter to the band wrapped in the guise of a chronicle, but Crowe always manages to stop short of making it into pointlessly nostalgic schmaltz. It's paced brilliantly, in my opinion, and he seems to spend just the right amount of time on each subject and time period. It's one of the few documentary/retrospective films I've seen where I wasn't sitting there afterward thinking : "They really should have spent more time on this," or "they really beat that into the ground, they could have told that story sufficiently in 3 minutes."

I think the non-PJ fan would be only marginally entertained, the casual fan who enjoys rock docs would learn a lot from it, and the PJ fanatic is going to be riveted as I was, just for the memories it invokes and the fact that this is a band you can be proud to be a fan of. I literally sprinted to the bathroom after my second pitcher of Stone (of course) IPA so I would minimize what I had to miss.

Side note : Before I saw this thread, I didn't realize there were many PJ die-hards left, I thought I was of a dying breed. I was thrilled to learn that there were so many others still flying the flag, but I have to say, a lot of hard-core PJ fans are almost unbelievably annoying in person. I doubt anyone here is like that, but there were SO many fans there yesterday that were engaging in ####-swinging contests to prove who the "biggest fan" was. Good Lord, I heard so many member numbers and "resumes" of shows attended, I wanted to throw up. The funny thing is that a lot of these fans looked to be about 25 or so, meaning they were MAYBE in kindergarten when "Ten" was released. If you ever run into any of these, a helpful tip for you fellow old-timers: they have no answer when you tell them you were at a show they were too young to attend. Someone sitting behind me asked me what my favorite PJ show I'd ever attended was and I told them it was the NYE show at Limelight they mailed out with the pre-order of the self-titled album. You could see the wheels spinning for a second as it occurred to them that they were still in diapers at the time, and that was the end of the conversation. it's the only way to shut these people up. Didn't stop them from hooting and yelling "yeahhhhhhh" at the beginning of EACH AND EVERY new song clip during the movie, nor from clapping any time something defiant or poignant was said by one of the band members, but at least you won't have to deal with them mano-a-mano.

My wife and my buddy's wife both really enjoyed it, and while both of them have listened to their fair share of PJ through the years because of us, I wouldn't call either of them fans (I had more than one, "Who is that?" to answer). So I'm not sure EG's on target RE: it being a bit slow for non die-hards.

I'm not sure it should be called Twenty. More like Ten, Carry the Ten. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. But it's clear Crowe was focused more on the years where he was present, where he knew more, and probably had more unseen footage available. There's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly left me with some general impressions about the current state of the band.

It was a little odd to me that almost all of the current footage was individual band members on their own. There was almost no recent interaction. It certainly seems like Stone still harbors some resentment towards Ed for taking over what used to be his band (Or his and Jeff's, I guess, if you want to put it that way. But Ament didn't vocalize much RE: that). I don't know. It seems like they're still together as a tribute to whatever they want Pearl Jam to be or to be remembered as rather than because they still enjoy playing together. Not a single sentiment in that regard that I can recall. There was a lot of talk about how much everybody LOVED playing with Wood. They'd have done anything for him. And then Vedder just kind of appeared, and it seems like they were bound by success rather than any sort of strong affection towards, enjoyment from, or loyalty to each other.

I enjoyed it a lot, and I think EG was spot on with most of his comments. It just left me feeling like the current incarnation of the band may be a little fractured.

Pearl Jam fans like movie about Pearl Jam. Film at 11.

:popcorn: Eeg, you really at that limelight show or you just said that
I was there. I used to frequent that place - actually went there one time on a whim and a little known local metal act called Type-O-Negative was playing that night. My buddy and I were actually laughing at the name and discussing how lame they were likely to be, two hours later, I was running to Tower Records to buy "Bloody Kisses."

My wife and my buddy's wife both really enjoyed it, and while both of them have listened to their fair share of PJ through the years because of us, I wouldn't call either of them fans (I had more than one, "Who is that?" to answer). So I'm not sure EG's on target RE: it being a bit slow for non die-hards.

I'm not sure it should be called Twenty. More like Ten, Carry the Ten. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. But it's clear Crowe was focused more on the years where he was present, where he knew more, and probably had more unseen footage available. There's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly left me with some general impressions about the current state of the band.

It was a little odd to me that almost all of the current footage was individual band members on their own. There was almost no recent interaction. It certainly seems like Stone still harbors some resentment towards Ed for taking over what used to be his band (Or his and Jeff's, I guess, if you want to put it that way. But Ament didn't vocalize much RE: that). I don't know. It seems like they're still together as a tribute to whatever they want Pearl Jam to be or to be remembered as rather than because they still enjoy playing together. Not a single sentiment in that regard that I can recall. There was a lot of talk about how much everybody LOVED playing with Wood. They'd have done anything for him. And then Vedder just kind of appeared, and it seems like they were bound by success rather than any sort of strong affection towards, enjoyment from, or loyalty to each other.

I enjoyed it a lot, and I think EG was spot on with most of his comments. It just left me feeling like the current incarnation of the band may be a little fractured.

I was guessing as to how it would play for die-hards, I'm really glad to hear that non-fans dug it. I tried to imagine how I would like it if the movie was about Foreigner and I didn't think it would hold my interest because there were no real revelations of salacious info, nor a whole lot of drama between band members, etc.

I agree with your take on the current state of the band, too. There was really just nothing there to chew on, so the viewer is kind of left to wonder why that is... which I suppose inevitably leads to a somewhat pessimistic outlook. I think the views on playing with Wood as opposed to Vedder are likely highly romanticized. It was a long time ago, they were all young and ready to take on the world, he's dead and as such fondly remembered, etc. The prevailing sentiment, in my opinion, was that they feel lucky to still be making music for a living. It's more of a world-wise perspective of guys in their 40s who are now looking back and saying : "this could have gone horribly wrong, as it has for so many others, but we weathered the storms and managed to spend our entire lives making music without being destitute." I felt like they probably still enjoy playing live and feel fortunate to still be doing it, rather than feeling like they still have this unbridled passion for playing with one another. I didn't really sense so much resentment from Jeff and Stone over "losing control" of the band to Eddie as it was resigned acceptance of encountering and absorbing an unstoppable, mercurial creative force that was destined to swallow up anyone around him.