What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pearl Jam Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Why do people apologize for liking songs that become popular. I'm not sorry. Give me Black, Alive, Daughter and Evenflow every show I see. No complaints from me. Sure I love the other stuff but those songs contributed to my low for the band. Im not sorry for liking them or wanting to hear themIt happened.
Agreed 100%Gimme Even Flow, Alive, Black and Jeremy ever show and I'll be a happy concert goer

Why do people apologize for liking songs that become popular. I'm not sorry. Give me Black, Alive, Daughter and Evenflow every show I see. No complaints from me. Sure I love the other stuff but those songs contributed to my low for the band. Im not sorry for liking them or wanting to hear themIt happened.
I could live with never hearing "Elderly Woman", "Daughter", "Evenflow", or "Black" live again. "Alive" they can play every show as far as I'm concerned.

Loser

I guess I'm kind of hypocritcal on this. Some that go to shows and complain they didn't play their hits do bug me sometimes, because they have so many awesome songs and its great to hear some of those live that they often don't play. But on the other hand, I agree with you in that I love hearing those songs live. Black is my favourite song even though its so popular, I love hearing it live every time.

I'm not sure it's about liking the songs or not. For the most part, we all love those songs. But I've seen PJ over 20 times...which includes 19 Even Flows, 17 Alive/Daughter/Corduroy (I don't mind this), etc etc. The only song I could live without is Even Flow...but that is my go-to pisser song and I always make it back to hear McCready shred. Daughter might be with Even Flow but I love the tags at the end and the song brings me back to a special time.The people that insist on "rare" shows every show are the idiots (sorry if I offended anyone). Those are the people that should probably just call it a career. I love it when they mix in some random stuff more than anyone, or even songs like 1/2 Full or All Night, but some people are just nuts. They certainly mix up their shows enough to keep everyone happy...but the problem is you can't make everyone happy.

I'm not sure it's about liking the songs or not. For the most part, we all love those songs. But I've seen PJ over 20 times...which includes 19 Even Flows, 17 Alive/Daughter/Corduroy (I don't mind this), etc etc. The only song I could live without is Even Flow...but that is my go-to pisser song and I always make it back to hear McCready shred. Daughter might be with Even Flow but I love the tags at the end and the song brings me back to a special time.The people that insist on "rare" shows every show are the idiots (sorry if I offended anyone). Those are the people that should probably just call it a career. I love it when they mix in some random stuff more than anyone, or even songs like 1/2 Full or All Night, but some people are just nuts. They certainly mix up their shows enough to keep everyone happy...but the problem is you can't make everyone happy.
:goodposting:I don't need to hear Even Flow...but love Black, Alive, Daughter, Better Man, etc...

I could live with never hearing "Elderly Woman", "Daughter", "Evenflow", or "Black" live again. "Alive" they can play every show as far as I'm concerned.
You don't have to worry about it since they never play Orlando

Why do people apologize for liking songs that become popular. I'm not sorry. Give me Black, Alive, Daughter and Evenflow every show I see. No complaints from me.

Sure I love the other stuff but those songs contributed to my low for the band. Im not sorry for liking them or wanting to hear them

It happened.
Elderly Woman is my favorite PJ song ever.

:shock:

Actually got the physical delivery as well yesterday. On a related note, for the 10cers in here, did you opt for Digital or Analog when renewing for next year? Renewal is in November, so need to investigate the options of both. Figured if someone here already analyzed, saves me some time.

Actually got the physical delivery as well yesterday. On a related note, for the 10cers in here, did you opt for Digital or Analog when renewing for next year? Renewal is in November, so need to investigate the options of both. Figured if someone here already analyzed, saves me some time.
+1. Im up Nov 22It's never helped me with tix but it's not too much to pay to try IMO

I went with digital. I don't have a turntable so the records just sit around collecting dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
bump

Please don't let the FFA make a mockery of the Fro Song Wars. Serious business in there and Eddie and the boys need your help.
OMG! Thanks for stopping by, fatty.
Pearl Jam's reputation is on the line over there. If you don't create six aliases to vote for them six times, you can stop calling yourself a fanboy. Might as well listen to country or something.
I thought we wanted biggie to win, even I voted for him and I'd eat his children if Eddie told me to

Got my Chrimmus single. Makes a nice deco in the kids' room. I was expecting some #### 7" in a sleeve. Maybe I'll reup 10C after all.

bump

Please don't let the FFA make a mockery of the Fro Song Wars. Serious business in there and Eddie and the boys need your help.
OMG! Thanks for stopping by, fatty.
Pearl Jam's reputation is on the line over there. If you don't create six aliases to vote for them six times, you can stop calling yourself a fanboy. Might as well listen to country or something.
I thought we wanted biggie to win, even I voted for him and I'd eat his children if Eddie told me to
:lmao:

I watched the movie, I thought it was pretty good.. drug a bit toward the end but it was cool to see all that old footage. I loved the music and it's still amazing how much greatness came out of that scene, but at the time I always thought those guys must be a bunch of douchebags for whining so much about the burden of fame. They did have a legitimate beef though, the music industry was a sham and the music press treated every rock musician like they were David Cassidy. Of course that was all we ever knew at that point. And of course, at least one guy in that scene it turned out wasn't just putting on, by any stretch.

Now bands can control their own image and presentation and the industry's gotten a few well-earned swift kicks to the nuts. Kinda have to think back and remember how it was pre-internet. I was in the Air Force and wasn't able to get to a lot of shows. For a lot of us, all we knew about these guys, besides the records, was what was fed to us via magazines or MTV.

Pearl Jam was up there but not my fave at the time and they kinda annoyed me. I don't think they were necessarily as phony on camera as I perceived them though. Eddie just can't help but come off a little douchey sometimes - you know, you aren't the first good band to suffer the indignity of a Grammy - but he's usually affable enough about it later.

Ticketmaster was a good fight, kudos to those guys for the effort and for knowing when to throw in the towel as well. I had never seen that footage from Congress, I think even Snider and Zappa fit in better than those two poor goofs did. Only thing missing was a funny Jeff hat.

Also thought they should have trimmed some fat somewhere and given a few minutes to Krusen and Abbruzzesse.. those guys were part of it and they were good, too. Glossing over the drummer thing all cute-like was kind of a diss, and by all accounts those guys never did anything to cross the band.

'JZilla said:
Also thought they should have trimmed some fat somewhere and given a few minutes to Krusen and Abbruzzesse.. those guys were part of it and they were good, too. Glossing over the drummer thing all cute-like was kind of a diss, and by all accounts those guys never did anything to cross the band.
IIRC, Abbruzzesse wanted to fully embrace their "rock star" which obviously the rest of the guys didn't. I took them glossing over it as not wanting to tell the whole story and throw Abbruzzee under the bus and make him look bad. But in principal, I agree; they could have shed some more light on it.

I still havent got my magazine and record. Any one else?
Came home yesterday and found mine on my front step. But it looked like the mail carrier tried to stuff it in my mailbox first, because it seemed bent. Opened it up, and sure enough, record is broken in half. I'm thinking of flying into a rage. Haven't decided yet though.

Came home yesterday and found mine on my front step. But it looked like the mail carrier tried to stuff it in my mailbox first, because it seemed bent. Opened it up, and sure enough, record is broken in half. I'm thinking of flying into a rage. Haven't decided yet though.
Send a picture of it to the 10C, maybe they'll hook you up. Chewing out the mail carrier won't do you any good short-term or especially long-term.

Send a picture of it to the 10C, maybe they'll hook you up. Chewing out the mail carrier won't do you any good short-term or especially long-term.
That's kinda what I was thinking.

Not sure how many of you are Gaslight Anthem fans but they do a pretty kick ### version of State of Love and Trust. Heard it yesterday.

Probably posted already but . . . .

http://www.sfgate.co.../DDUE1LGS73.DTL

Pearl Jam Twenty' review: Documentary worth seeing

Pearl Jam Twenty: "American Masters." 9 p.m. Fri. on PBS.

If you're looking for a documentary about the band Pearl Jam made by a detached, relatively objective filmmaker, Cameron Crowe is not your guy. From his early years as a rock journalist in Seattle through his career as a Hollywood filmmaker, Crowe has followed the band's evolution with an ardent fan's devotion.

But of course, what sets him apart from most other Jam fans is that he is a filmmaker and a very good one, which is why "Pearl Jam Twenty," a two-hour "American Masters" celebration of the band's two-decade-plus longevity, airing Friday on PBS, is must viewing even if you think grunge is the stuff you scrape off your shower tiles.

From a variety of sources, Crowe has compiled a chronological montage of footage, some never seen before, tracing the band's beginnings to Seattle, where rhythm guitarist Stone Gossard and bass guitarist Jeff Ament were in a band called Mother Love Bone, fronted by the charismatic budding rock god Andrew Wood. Wood's death from an overdose left the band in limbo until it found a new lead singer in a somewhat shy San Diego guy named Eddie Vedder.

Initially calling itself Mookie Blaylock, after an NBA player, the band was formed in 1990 and with the release of its first album, "Ten," began an initially slow but steady climb to major success, supported by all but constant touring.

Vedder and the rest of the band members admit that it wasn't easy to adjust to huge success and that they missed playing in small clubs. More to the point, though, Pearl Jam's initial skepticism about its success in the music business would further manifest itself over the years in other ways, including its refusal to do music videos for songs like "Black" and its famous declaration of independence from selling tickets for its shows through Ticketmaster, which it felt was monopolistic and imposed an unfair financial burden on the band's fans. At the same time, you can't help feeling that Pearl Jam's ability to survive for so long owes in part to trying to chart its own course, rather than fold to pressure from their labels and others.

A history as long as Pearl Jam's is filled with incidents that are unavoidably well known to fans, including the inability to keep drummers, Vedder's habit of climbing all over light towers at outdoor concerts, his performance of Andrew Wood's "Crown of Thorns" at the band's 10th anniversary concert and the tragic deaths of nine concertgoers at Denmark's Roskilde Festival in 2000.

While the film doesn't try to be a tutorial on the nature of grunge, it manages to convey both the energy and thematic appeal of the Seattle-spawned subgenre.

If there's something missing in "Pearl Jam Twenty," it's a sense of who Vedder, Gossard, Ament, lead guitarist Mike McCready and drummer Matt Cameron are beyond their roles in the band. Somewhat as expected, there are a few more insights into Vedder's mind and character, particularly the impact of learning that the man who had raised him was not his biological father.

But otherwise, there's virtually nothing here about wives, girlfriends or personal lives once the band leaves the stage. That absence doesn't diminish the overall quality of the film, but it almost implies that these guys only live onstage.

E-mail David Wiegand at dwiegand@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page E - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle

EV sets at bridge school will be webcast on youtube and facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/SupportBridgeSchool?sk=app_240570179326145
Wow, nice. A buddy of mine has every tech thing possible, which means he should be able to watch (and record?) at his pad. Huge TV too. If I don't make it up there, I'll have to check it out there. Wonder if he can burn the sets...I'll send em out if so.I had a pair of like 20th row, aisle seats cued up today. But I balked, partly because they were on the side, and partly being greedy. There has been NOTHING for either day since. :(

EV sets at bridge school will be webcast on youtube and facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/SupportBridgeSchool?sk=app_240570179326145
Wow, nice. A buddy of mine has every tech thing possible, which means he should be able to watch (and record?) at his pad. Huge TV too. If I don't make it up there, I'll have to check it out there. Wonder if he can burn the sets...I'll send em out if so.I had a pair of like 20th row, aisle seats cued up today. But I balked, partly because they were on the side, and partly being greedy. There has been NOTHING for either day since. :(
Do you have a link to the schedule? I must be an idiot, butI can't find it anywhere online

I'm guessing from their website. If I remember correctly, it's usually in order. Of course, Neil opens with a few, and usually there are some surprises and stuff, like I expect Grohl or Neil will Join Ed (or both, who knows...) But, I would expect the following, in reverse order:

Neil Young

Dave Matthews

Arcade Fire

Foo Fighters (Sunday only)

Eddie Vedder

Los Invisibles, featuring Carlos Santana, Cindy Blackman Santana & Guests

Beck

Mumford & Sons

Tony Bennett (Sunday only)

Devendra Banhart

Norah Jones with The Little Willies

Jimmy Fallon (MC Saturday only)

ETA if you meant times, no idea. Saturday starts at 5, sunday at 2.

Also, he will likely come back out for the encore with Neil. That would be cool if they showed that too, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing from their website. If I remember correctly, it's usually in order. Of course, Neil opens with a few, and usually there are some surprises and stuff, like I expect Grohl or Neil will Join Ed (or both, who knows...) But, I would expect the following, in reverse order:Neil YoungDave MatthewsArcade FireFoo Fighters (Sunday only)Eddie VedderLos Invisibles, featuring Carlos Santana, Cindy Blackman Santana & GuestsBeckMumford & SonsTony Bennett (Sunday only)Devendra BanhartNorah Jones with The Little WilliesJimmy Fallon (MC Saturday only)ETA if you meant times, no idea. Saturday starts at 5, sunday at 2.Also, he will likely come back out for the encore with Neil. That would be cool if they showed that too, but I doubt it.
thx

Users who are viewing this thread