What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Red Sox trade Arroyo (1 Viewer)

,Mar 21 2006, 02:16 PM]

I still think it was a bad deal by the Sox.  Wells is going to be an issue here at some point and Arrojo was willing to go to the bullpen in the meantime.

Oh well...what's done is done.
Okay... Right now We've got 6 starters:

Schilling

Beckett

Clement

Wakefield

Wells

Papelbon

So let's say Wells becomes an issue...

Schilling

Beckett

Clement

Wakefield

Papelbon

Now let's assuem Beckett goes on the DL with blister problems at the SAME TIme that Wells has problems..... big deal, we bring up Alvarez or Lester (both of whom Boston is expecting to contribute in some form to the big club this year) for a spot start or three.

While I suppose the luxury of carrying 7 starters JUST IN CASE is nice... it's frankly a bit of a waste of a roster spot. If Boston has any plans of Papelbon seeing the rotation then Arroyo was certainly a bit of a roadbllock as well (despite his willingness to pitch out of the pen for stretches, that is NOT where he's effective and there was no way we were going to leave him out there all year.

If you like Arroyo.. that's fine. He was an intriguing kid and one who pitched with stones at times.... but this was certainly a good trade for the Sox.
I think counting on Lester/Alvarez now is too risky.I think Wells will cause problems and I have zero faith in Foulke. I would plan on Papelbom being in the closer or set up role this year.

Wells gone.

Arroyo as the #5 starter.

Listen...I'm not trying to say that Arroyo is the second coming of Cy Young. He's a guy that has handled the pressure (not all can). He's a guy willing to pitch anywhere. He's a guy who is very low on the payroll.

I know we have a lot of starters. I don't think I've heard of a team having too many starters in August. It seems like everyone is trying to plug holes with who ever they can find at that point. (Jeremi Gonzalez started for the Sox in the recent past.)

Are you trying to say we need MORE outfielders? Obviously the three starters. How about Stern? Kapler? Mohr? David Murphy in minors? etc, etc.

Finally, it bothers me that they kind of screwed him in regards to the hometown discount. Don't expect any player to give the Sox a home town discount anymore.
I don't want to do an "I told you so...", so how about :goodposting: ?

Best Reds trade in recent years.  :thumbup:
:lmao: I hope that's not really true,
Why?Reds needed pitching and had too many outfielders.

Arroyo's 3-0 with a 2.34 ERA and WHIP under 1. Not sure what they could have hoped for by giving up a guy who's a big liability on the field and basepaths.

Oh yea, current HR count:

Arroyo: 2 in 5 games

Pena: 1 in 13 games

Best Reds trade in recent years. :thumbup:

Arroyo's 3-0 with a 2.34 ERA and WHIP under 1. Not sure what they could have hoped for by giving up a guy who's a big liability on the field and basepaths.

Because he's what, 4 starts into the season? I guess you'll have to excuse me if I'm not quite ready to call this "the best Reds trade in recent years." Although, like I said, I can't really think of any other trades the Reds have made lately, so maybe it is. But that'd be pretty sad, is all.Obviously, if Arroyo can keep this up all year, I'll feel differently, but for now, I will withhold judgement.

Best Reds trade in recent years. :thumbup:

Because he's what, 4 starts into the season? I guess you'll have to excuse me if I'm not quite ready to call this "the best Reds trade in recent years." Although, like I said, I can't really think of any other trades the Reds have made lately, so maybe it is. But that'd be pretty sad, is all.Obviously, if Arroyo can keep this up all year, I'll feel differently, but for now, I will withhold judgement.
If he turns out to be a decent #3 starter, he'll be the best starting pitcher the Reds have had for years. Their biggest problem was juggling maybe one #4 with 3 or 4 # 5's. He has the potential to be a legitimate #2 on a normal staff.

Best Reds trade in recent years.  :thumbup:

2 words: Jim Bowden.

Sox fans dont need to be bitter. This is a GREAT trade for the Reds. If Pena proves to be a decent replacement for Nixon next year (not looking great as a RF so far this year) it will also be a good trade for the Sox. Right now it is a bad trade. You cant win them all.

Arroyo is a streaky pitcher. So he's off to a good start, good for him.

If he keeps up even close to this pace for the rest of the season, I will be shocked.

Of course I do think its easier pitching in the NL and maybe that's having some impact too but I still think he is going to have his share of games where he doesn't pitch very well at all.

Arroyo is a streaky pitcher.  So he's off to a good start, good for him.

If he keeps up even close to this pace for the rest of the season, I will be shocked.

Of course I do think its easier pitching in the NL and maybe that's having some impact too but I still think he is going to have his share of games where he doesn't pitch very well at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: He doesn't have to face the Yankees 5 times anymore.

if they can continue to develop him, he could still be a stud. this guy hit some balls last season that still haven't landed.

Users who are viewing this thread