What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should the 49ers trade #6 to Denver (1 Viewer)

facook

Footballguy
Speculation making the national rounds is the Broncos will package their No. 15 and No. 22 picks in the first round to move up to No. 5 (Green Bay) or No. 6 (San Francisco) to take Maryland tight end Vernon Davis, whose football ability, size and speed make him an off-the-charts NFL prospect. Davis is not likely to be on the board past the seventh pick.

-- Denver Post

As a 49er fan, I've become more and more enamored with Vernon Davis playing TE for San Francisco. Would Mike Nolan and company be better off to trade that pick to Denver and get 2 first round (albeit lesser) talents rather than 1 potential super-stud?

My initial feeling is that they ought to sit at 6 and take Davis if Denver doesn't move up to #5 to get him.

Thoughts?

For a team that bad, I think they should take that deal.

However, they could probably get at least one more pick either this year or next in exchange.

I, being a 9er fan, think that they should trade the pick. This draft is top-notch, and we need as much help as possible. We would end up with the 15th and the 22nd, and we also got the 37th pick.

Depends on who's there. If Mario Williams and AJ Hawk are both gone, trade down. If either is there, take the franchise player and be happy about it.

Speculation making the national rounds is the Broncos will package their No. 15 and No. 22 picks in the first round to move up to No. 5 (Green Bay) or No. 6 (San Francisco) to take Maryland tight end Vernon Davis, whose football ability, size and speed make him an off-the-charts NFL prospect. Davis is not likely to be on the board past the seventh pick.

-- Denver Post

As a 49er fan, I've become more and more enamored with Vernon Davis playing TE for San Francisco. Would Mike Nolan and company be better off to trade that pick to Denver and get 2 first round (albeit lesser) talents rather than 1 potential super-stud?

My initial feeling is that they ought to sit at 6 and take Davis if Denver doesn't move up to #5 to get him.

Thoughts?
I don't think SF takes Davis at #6 even if he was available.

I'd do it if I'm SF..they need some impact players..namely,ones to protect alex smith..

they might also want to sit still at their first pick and hope VY falls to them. Hes a better long term answer than Smith is, IMO..smith came from a gimmick offense and looks terrible in the NFL..VY has won 2 straight rose bowls,and an Natl chamionship..he can scramble and create on the run..with that o-line,

the Niners need a qb like that..

If they did it, they'd have a great chance of seriously upgrading their defense.

At #15, they could take Jason Allen and at #22, they could find a replacement OLB like Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimbley, Thomas Howard, or Manny Lawson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do it if I'm SF..they need some impact players..namely,ones to protect alex smith..

they might also want to sit still at their first pick and hope VY falls to them. Hes a better long term answer than Smith is, IMO..smith came from a gimmick offense and looks terrible in the NFL..VY has won 2 straight rose bowls,and an Natl chamionship..he can scramble and create on the run..with that o-line,

I do not see how that helps the 49ers.As many negatives as Smith shown last year I see about the same amount for VY.

His mechanics need a lot of improving. Shows a low release point and, for the most part, shot-puts the ball as a passer. A better runner than passer at this point. Does not show a good comprehension of reading defenses and making progression reads. Is extremely raw as pocket passer and will need a lot of developmental tutelage in that area in the NFL. Most of his experience has been as a shotgun quarterback in a "read-option" system. Still lacks ideal decision-making skills. Shows adequate-to-good, but not great arm strength. Tries to force things when they are not available. Must learn to better protect the football. Takes too many chances when protection is breaking down and throws too many passes up for grabs. Is impatient in the pocket. Frequently takes off too early and does not allow his receivers enough time to separate. There is also concern regarding his mental capacity due to his marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

SF's 6th pick is worth 1600 points.

Denver's 15+22 are worth 1050+780= 1830.

If I am SF I do it. The have a ton of holes to fill and they get they value from the trade. Not to mention save some money on a top 10 contract.

-- Denver Post

As a 49er fan, I've become more and more enamored with Vernon Davis playing TE for San Francisco.  Would Mike Nolan and company be better off to trade that pick to Denver and get 2 first round (albeit lesser) talents rather than 1 potential super-stud?

Thoughts?
I don't think SF takes Davis at #6 even if he was available.
Who DO you see SF taking, then?

Either get 1 shot at a 1st round player panning out and pay top $$$ for him, or get two shots at a 1st round player panning out and pay less for both than you would for the player at #5/#6.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Either get 1 shot at a 1st round player panning out and pay top $$$ for him, or get two shots at a 1st round player panning out and pay less for both than you would for the player at #5/#6.

This presumes the players at 15/22 have an equal shot at A) panning out and B) making the same impact, as the player taken at 6.Hopefully you realize both assumptions are faulty.

This presumes the players at 15/22 have an equal shot at A) panning out and B) making the same impact, as the player taken at 6.Hopefully you realize both assumptions are faulty.
If someone can show me that players taken in the top 1/3 of the first pan out better than those in the middle 1/3, I'll believe it.

Actually, in this year's draft, I'm not sure those assumptions are faulty at all.

49er fan here and I love Vernon Davis, but if I'm SF I take that offer if proposed to me. That said, GB would also be wise to take that offer for their #5 imo.

I think they should do it. They could improve at LB and secondary with two first round picks, and 3 in the top 40 or so... Mike Nolan HAS to address that defense. Last in the league in passing yards allowed. They need to get faster and tougher.

If the 49ers could swing Sims at OLB and Jimmy Williams at DB, that would be a HUGE step in the right direction...

I don't care what the trade calculator says--NO WAY do I make that trade if I'm SF.

The offense is what needs improvement more than filling holes on Defense.

SF had the worst offense in the league--and in our history--last year. The offensive TOP was the worst in the league (cept for the Jets). The team has invested $24M guaranteed in Alex Smith.

This draft does not have any potential offensive impact players at WR or TE outside of VD. What the draft does have is defensive depth through the mid rounds.

Taking VD at #6 helps Smith, drastically improves the receiving corps, allows Nolan to run his beloved double TE set with VD and EJ, and also theoretically improves the TOP (and keeps the D off the field).

If you trade down, the best value at 15-22 are D players. Then in rounds 3-4, instead of taking advantage of the depth on the D side in the draft, the 49ers will be stuck reaching for marginal prospects on O.

This teams #1 offseason need is a playmaker on offense. VD fits the bill.

Being a Giants fan, you should know how much a QB can improve from year 1 to year 2. Eli looked just as bad his first year.

I don't care what the trade calculator says--NO WAY do I make that trade if I'm SF.

SF had the worst offense in the league--and in our history--last year. The offensive TOP was the worst in the league (cept for the Jets). The team has invested $24M guaranteed in Alex Smith.

This draft does not have any potential offensive impact players at WR or TE outside of VD. What the draft does have is defensive depth through the mid rounds.

Taking VD at #6 helps Smith, drastically improves the receiving corps, allows Nolan to run his beloved double TE set with VD and EJ, and also theoretically improves the TOP (and keeps the D off the field).

If you trade down, the best value at 15-22 are D players. Then in rounds 3-4, instead of taking advantage of the depth on the D side in the draft, the 49ers will be stuck reaching for marginal prospects on O.

:goodposting: Couldn't agree more.....

Good thing no one is calling this one of the best TE classes ever.

Whats your point?Do you think Marcedes Lewis would have the same impact as Vernon Davis?

:rolleyes:

Add to clarify:

IMO, VD (1.06) + Bing/Lawson/Carpenter (2.06)>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jason Allen (1.15), Wimbley (1.22), + Marcedes (2.06)

SF had the worst offense in the league--and in our history--last year.  The offensive TOP was the worst in the league (cept for the Jets).  The team has invested $24M guaranteed in Alex Smith.

This draft does not have any potential offensive impact players at WR or TE outside of VD.  What the draft does have is defensive depth through the mid rounds.

If you trade down, the best value at 15-22 are D players.  Then in rounds 3-4, instead of taking advantage of the depth on the D side in the draft, the 49ers will be stuck reaching for marginal prospects on O.

This teams #1 offseason need is a playmaker on offense.  VD fits the bill.
Whats your point?Do you think Marcedes Lewis would have the same impact as Vernon Davis?

no but Pope will be pretty Darn close

Wrong. They acquired Antonio Bryant. Couple him with an emerging Arnaz Battle and your WR corps is better than last year. Barlow and Gore are sufficient for now. Alex Smith has a full year under his belt. And Eric Johnson should be back from in jury and a good TE can be had in the 2nd.Trade down and improve the defense.

no but Pope will be pretty Darn close
Good point.I really like Pope, but still see such a huge drop from VD to any other TE in this draft, whereas the (other significant positions of need for SF) dropoff at OLB, CB, and FS is minimal from the middle of Rd 1 to Rd 2-3.

I'm such a VD fan that I'd put him up there with Bush, Mario, and Hawk as the premier talents in this draft.

JMHO< of course.

the Niners need  a qb like that..
I do not see how that helps the 49ers.As many negatives as Smith shown last year I see about the same amount for VY.

His mechanics need a lot of improving. Shows a low release point and, for the most part, shot-puts the ball as a passer. A better runner than passer at this point. Does not show a good comprehension of reading defenses and making progression reads. Is extremely raw as pocket passer and will need a lot of developmental tutelage in that area in the NFL. Most of his experience has been as a shotgun quarterback in a "read-option" system. Still lacks ideal decision-making skills. Shows adequate-to-good, but not great arm strength. Tries to force things when they are not available. Must learn to better protect the football. Takes too many chances when protection is breaking down and throws too many passes up for grabs. Is impatient in the pocket. Frequently takes off too early and does not allow his receivers enough time to separate. There is also concern regarding his mental capacity due to his marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.
true..I'm not in any way a VY backer, but i'm also not so sure that Smith is an NFL caliber QB, either.I think in 3 more years, he'll be the next Joey Harrington, an overrated scrub released by the NFL team that drafted him..just like Tim Couch, Heath Shuler, Browning Nagle, etc..also not so sure VY would fit into a Norv Turner offense, where the QB needs to be a pocket passer..It was just a thought on what could potentially happen if SF stays at #6...taking a TE like Davis might not be worth it either,they need help in so many other areas. Defense and O-line being the two biggest 'need' areas,

with QB being the next..

they should trade out of #6 for two top 25 picks,no doubt..that means 3 of the top 38 picks go to SF?? thats a great way to jumpstart a rebuilding effort like the one thats already underway...

SF had the worst offense in the league--and in our history--last year.  The offensive TOP was the worst in the league (cept for the Jets).  The team has invested $24M guaranteed in Alex Smith.

This draft does not have any potential offensive impact players at WR or TE outside of VD.  What the draft does have is defensive depth through the mid rounds.

If you trade down, the best value at 15-22 are D players.  Then in rounds 3-4, instead of taking advantage of the depth on the D side in the draft, the 49ers will be stuck reaching for marginal prospects on O.

This teams #1 offseason need is a playmaker on offense.  VD fits the bill.

Add to clarify:

IMO, VD (1.06) + Bing/Lawson/Carpenter (2.06)>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jason Allen (1.15), Wimbley (1.22), + Marcedes (2.06)
I tend to agree with you, 5rings. Despite what the pick calculator says, I think Davis has a chance to be truly special, and therefore think 1.5 > 1.15 + 1.22.Praying that WHATEVER Nolan and the 49ers FO decide, it's the RIGHT decision. :thumbup:

Is there an offer on the table? I'd have to believe the 49ers would be all over this offer. A rebuilding team needs as many impact players as possible, and I'm sure they can find two of them at 15 and 22.

win win trade for both teams. Denver is possibly 1 player away from the Superbowl, and Vernon is that guy. San Fran would have two excellent picks and would be able to fill some holes, as this draft class is deep. However as a Denver fan i would hope for a swap in 2nd rounders :thumbup:

the Niners need  a qb like that..
Being a Giants fan, you should know how much a QB can improve from year 1 to year 2. Eli looked just as bad his first year.
I guess..Eli also has a last name of Manning,where he ate and drank football 24/7..its like having a football coach helping to raise you..both Eli Manning and Chris Simms had teachers that Smith never had..seriously though, any comparison of Smith to Manning is unfair...Smith has a long way to go to even be considered a decent QB..a LONG way to go..

Praying that WHATEVER Nolan and the 49ers FO decide, it's the RIGHT decision. :thumbup:
:goodposting: Last year Nolan and Co. did pretty darn well.....especially compared to the debacles of the Donohue era.

Fair or not, Nolan's success is tied directly to Alex Smith's development, and I don't know any better way of helping him than acquiring a player like VD.

Users who are viewing this thread