What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Random Thoughts (1 Viewer)

cracKer

Shawn Culcasi
Torry Holt has posted 6 straight 1300+ yard seasons. Jerry Rice had seven seasons total with 1300+, max 3 straight (but he did have nine consecutive 1200+). Marvin Harrison (4), Michael Irvin (3), Randy Moss (3), Terrell Owens (3), Steve Largent (0).

Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith led the league last year with 12 receiving TDs, tied for the lowest non-strike/16 game season total ever. WUWT?

Reggie Wayne > Steve Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Torry Holt has posted 6 straight 1300+ yard seasons. Jerry Rice had seven seasons total with 1300+, max 3 straight (but he did have nine consecutive 1200+). Marvin Harrison (4), Michael Irvin (3), Randy Moss (3), Terrell Owens (3), Steve Largent (0).

Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith led the league last year with 12 receiving TDs, tied for the lowest non-strike/16 game season total ever. WUWT?

Why do you feel Wayne is better than Smith?

That is difficult to believe. There isn't a WR in the NFL who saw more coverages slanted towards them in 2005 than Steve Smith. He produced big-time numbers despite seeing 2-3 defenders regularly. Wayne had the luxury of playing with a great QB, great RB and great #1WR. Wayne's YAC ability is nowhere near Smith's.

Just to play devil's advocate. I could see Wayne creeping closer to Smith in 2006.

- Teams will game plan better for Smith after seeing what he did in 05. The guy still has the best RAC abilities in the league so it might be tough.

- Smith has a legit #2 WR this year. Keyshawn could steal 15-20 ctaches that would have otherwise gone to Smith.

- Indy may need to rely on the passing game more with an unproven running game. Harrison is great but getting older, not better.

Reggie Wayne's in a better O. Steve Smith has better skills.

They're both very good. Not a whole lot of difference in abilities.

Im curious to see how Keyshawn affects Smith's numbers. 2 years in a row a Carolina WR has led the league in TD catches (Muhammed had 16 2 years ago).

If Key takes some heat off of Smith, we could see a hat trick.

Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith led the league last year with 12 receiving TDs, tied for the lowest non-strike/16 game season total ever.
A few led the league with 13 since then though....Daryl Turner in 85, Rice in 90, S Sharpe in 92, C Carter in 97 and 99, and Owens in 02.So the neighborhood of 12 TDs leading the league isnt very rare.

cracKer knows his stuff, but I can't see Wayne being better than Smith.
Honestly, I don't think he's better talent wise. Besides size, Smith has everything that we want in a wide receiver (especially the desire that most superstars seem to lose).The statement "Wayne > Smith" was me casting out a line. When all is said and done, I think it'll be a lot closer than we all want to admit at this point.

Im curious to see how Keyshawn affects Smith's numbers. 2 years in a row a Carolina WR has led the league in TD catches (Muhammed had 16 2 years ago).

If Key takes some heat off of Smith, we could see a hat trick.
I am convinced that Delhomme is just the kind of QB that locks into his #1 WR no matter who else is in the receiving corps. 2003 wasnt really that different that 04 and 05 - even though he had two very good WRs in Muhammad and Smith, the numbers were heavily slanted to Smith. Whether or not Key takes some heat off of Smith, Delhomme will be looking to Smith most of the time - just an impression from watching him over the last three years.

Users who are viewing this thread