Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Opie & Anthony to replace David Lee Roth?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/2...o.ap/index.html

Report: David Lee Roth dumped as radio host

Opie and Anthony may be replacement

NEW YORK (AP) -- No surprise: David Lee Roth's run as morning radio host is about done. Big surprise: It appears raunchy satellite radio stars Opie and Anthony will replace him on seven CBS Radio stations.

A deal was in the works to dump the ex-Van Halen singer's ratings-deprived program with shock jocks Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, according to two people with knowledge of the deal. They spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity pending an official announcement of the agreement next week.

Opie and Anthony were banished from terrestrial radio in 2002 -- oddly enough by their new boss, CBS Radio -- after airing a live account of listeners having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. CBS Radio was then known as Infinity Broadcasting.

Opie and Anthony resurfaced on XM in October 2004. The satellite radio provider has more than 6.5 million subscribers, with the Opie and Anthony show one of the most popular programs on its 170 channels.

XM will now syndicate the program to the stations in New York and six other markets, with three hours of the program airing on the CBS Radio stations, the people familiar with the deal said. XM will simultaneously broadcast that portion of the show, along with another two hours of exclusive O&A, they said.

A spokeswoman at CBS Radio declined to comment on the report, as did a spokesman for XM.

Roth's radio career began in January, when he replaced Howard Stern on the CBS stations. But reviews were poor and Roth fought with management over the show's format, putting the show on the skids less than four months into its run.

Roth, during one angry on-air rant, predicted the show could be yanked before May.

The move marks a shift in the dynamic between terrestrial and satellite radio. In the past, satellite raided terrestrial radio for big-name hosts such as Opie and Anthony or Stern. Now, the seven FM stations will rely on a syndicated satellite program.

In addition to the Free-FM station in New York, Opie and Anthony will reportedly air on WBCN-FM in Boston, WYSP-FM in Philadelphia, WRKZ-FM in Pittsburgh, WNCX-FM in Cleveland, WPBZ-FM in West Palm Beach, Fla., and KLLI-FM in Dallas.

Stern, who engaged in a lengthy on-air feud with Opie and Anthony, is in his first year of broadcasting for Sirius Satellite Radio. O&A will now fill in his old time slot.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He talked about this a little today during they Henry Rollins interview. He downplayed it but you could tell it bothered him.

Im not sure what xm is thinking. How will this in anyway get more listeners?

At worst, its a wash for XM. I'm sure they are getting MAD compensation for their part. Factor this into CBS reportedly looking to buy a sat radio company, maybe this is part of it?

Both these companies are hemoraging cash, but are showing enough positive growth to make continued investment a viable thing, but the best thing that could happen is for one company to emerge. Right now, there are about 9 million Sat subscibers. No way to tell how many are double dippers(a number that would be signficantly higher than you'd think). But in any case, were there to be a merger, I think the whole enterprise becomes a much brigher propostion.

Now, where the growth potential for XM is, if O and A can grow a base on radio(as they showed they were quite capable of on a national level once before), then their target demo, the 18-34 male who is the tech head might get their terrestial appetizer and be enticed to pick up the XM for the last two uncenscored hours. Gotta think through the course of business that there will be significant XM talk going on.

I think its win/win for everyone. CBS gets the first good news for their beleaguered radio division in months, O and A get a major Q rating boost out of this, and presumably a major ad-push(there are Roth billboards all over NY) and they get to tweak Stern by sitting in his studio quite likely. Meanwhile, Stern twidles his thumbs and could be doing better broadcasting with a megaphone in Times Square in terms of customer reach. Where can he go now? Clear Channel who he railed against and was involved in litigation? There are no burned bridges in radio, and Stern really has no credibility, but that might be too strange a bedfellow for him even. CBS radio and Clear Channel are really the two national syndicators you could latch on to(certainly there are a few others without the major market prescence) so he really has no answer for this.

I almost feel bad for the poor bastard.

He talked about this a little today during they Henry Rollins interview. He downplayed it but you could tell it bothered him. 

At worst, its a wash for XM. I'm sure they are getting MAD compensation for their part. Factor this into CBS reportedly looking to buy a sat radio company, maybe this is part of it?

Both these companies are hemoraging cash, but are showing enough positive growth to make continued investment a viable thing, but the best thing that could happen is for one company to emerge. Right now, there are about 9 million Sat subscibers. No way to tell how many are double dippers(a number that would be signficantly higher than you'd think). But in any case, were there to be a merger, I think the whole enterprise becomes a much brigher propostion.

Now, where the growth potential for XM is, if O and A can grow a base on radio(as they showed they were quite capable of on a national level once before), then their target demo, the 18-34 male who is the tech head might get their terrestial appetizer and be enticed to pick up the XM for the last two uncenscored hours. Gotta think through the course of business that there will be significant XM talk going on.

I think its win/win for everyone. CBS gets the first good news for their beleaguered radio division in months, O and A get a major Q rating boost out of this, and presumably a major ad-push(there are Roth billboards all over NY) and they get to tweak Stern by sitting in his studio quite likely. Meanwhile, Stern twidles his thumbs and could be doing better broadcasting with a megaphone in Times Square in terms of customer reach. Where can he go now? Clear Channel who he railed against and was involved in litigation? There are no burned bridges in radio, and Stern really has no credibility, but that might be too strange a bedfellow for him even. CBS radio and Clear Channel are really the two national syndicators you could latch on to(certainly there are a few others without the major market prescence) so he really has no answer for this.

Good analysis. I also read where XM is about to do a stock offering to pay down debt. Sure, it will dilute the stock price, but less debt is always a good thing. Also, XM added about 10 new channels the other day, including a new metal channel for you guys who claimed they forgot the headbangers.

I do however hope that they don't get bought by CBS.

O&A were pissed that they, along with all of the other talk shows that were on Direct TV were pulled.

This move to CBS should be interesting. Hopefully their content on XM won't change to conform to the regular rules.

Awesome....I have them on XM and they've been great....Hopefully Ron and Fez will come along with them

Ron and Fez would be the only thing I would switch back to Terrestial Radio for besides local sports broadcasts.

doubtful. Looks like just the AM shift is open right now.

He got a FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR contract to do his show, which happens to be the funniest/best its been since god knows when. Hes got his own friggin television channel, which happens to be great. Poor bastard, I think not

Does it really matter how many people are listening at this point in his career, when he has obviously conquered all?

Also, XM added about 10 new channels the other day, including a new metal channel for you guys who claimed they forgot the headbangers.

It's Liquid Metal, and it's more a return than a new channel. XM had it before but LM had been banished to an XM online channel only. It's now back on regular satellite.

Also, XM added about 10 new channels the other day, including a new metal channel for you guys who claimed they forgot the headbangers.

It's Liquid Metal, and it's more a return than a new channel. XM had it before but LM had been banished to an XM online channel only. It's now back on regular satellite.

OK. It's not my cup of tea, but thanks for the clarification.

And Hard Attack on Sirius is better than Liquid Metal.

And Hard Attack on Sirius is better than Liquid Metal.

Perhaps, but it still kicks butt.

I just heard him on the Replay and he basically wished everyone luck on terrestrial radio who has to deal with the FCC and 22 minutes of commercials an hour. Doesn't sound like he cares anymore.

I just heard him on the Replay and he basically wished everyone luck on terrestrial radio who has to deal with the FCC and 22 minutes of commercials an hour. Doesn't sound like he cares anymore.

Hmm.. interesting point. Will CBS preempt the broadcast since they air more commercials than XM?

Is this going to be like airing the Sopranos on HBO and Fox simultaneously, except with bleeps and breaks in the action? Sounds like a dumb idea to me.

Awesome....I have them on XM and they've been great....Hopefully Ron and Fez will come along with them

Ron and Fez would be the only thing I would switch back to Terrestial Radio for besides local sports broadcasts.

doubtful. Looks like just the AM shift is open right now.

Is that what happened to Ron and Fez? I haven't heard them on WJFK is some time.

If O & A have to tone down their show to conform to terrestial radio regulations I'd be pretty pissed if I was an XM subscriber.

Seems like short term thinking for XM to help out terrestial radio. Roth, Corolla and Rover are all floundering. Why help them out?

If O & A have to tone down their show to conform to terrestial radio regulations I'd be pretty pissed if I was an XM subscriber.

Seems like short term thinking for XM to help out terrestial radio. Roth, Corolla and Rover are all floundering. Why help them out?

Someone over at one of the XM boards posted that the first three hours will be on both XM & FM, and the last 2 hours will be solely on XM.

Seems like short term thinking for XM to help out terrestial radio.  Roth, Corolla and Rover are all floundering.  Why help them out?

Someone over at one of the XM boards posted that the first three hours will be on both XM & FM, and the last 2 hours will be solely on XM.

So three hours of the show is toned down?

Seems like short term thinking for XM to help out terrestial radio.  Roth, Corolla and Rover are all floundering.  Why help them out?

I read the same thing, but still say if they're forced to tone down the show at all I'd be upset (as would O&A).

Hopefully, as an XM subscriber and O&A fan, it simply revolves around massive editing by CBS.

O&A are not that different from Howard when it comes down to their feelings about censorship.

I read the same thing, but still say if they're forced to tone down the show at all I'd be upset (as would O&A).

Hopefully, as an XM subscriber and O&A fan, it simply revolves around massive editing by CBS.

O&A are not that different from Howard when it comes down to their feelings about censorship.

I don't listen to them, but I'm assuming that they're pretty raw on XM. So, given the two choices - bleeps every 2 seconds or toned down - which is worse for the listener?

Stern just choked on his lunch.

That's guy like watching your worst enemy sleep with your ex-wife.

You mean at Nobu? I'm sure it's tough.

NoooooBuuuuuuu, You like to eat at NoooBuuuuuu don't you Mr. Stern?

I live in a normal house.

Unless they are considering some kind of further partnership with CBS, as alluded to above.

He got a FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR contract to do his show, which happens to be the funniest/best its been since god knows when. Hes got his own friggin television channel, which happens to be great. Poor bastard, I think not

Does it really matter how many people are listening at this point in his career, when he has obviously conquered all?

How much can you spend? For so long, this guy has been the keeper of his own flame, concerned with only legacy and perpeputing the "myth" of Stern. He's lost his way though. I don't doubt the guy actually thought he'd redefine satalite as he was able impact other mediums in his heyday.

His influence in undeniable. His influences(not imitators) dot the radio landscape. Some would take this as flattery, he seems to geniunely take offense and see it as theft. But for all that cash, he has no relevancy. Again, he could have had an easy 100 million from CBS and still been THE guy in entertainment radio. Now he has 500 million, but hes' a ghost. I think his ego is such that he needs not only the spotlight but constant affirmation of his legacy. He no longer has those things

And the humilation is, the one radio program he probably knew he couldn't compete with(based on the fact he never went on the offensive against them) is now sitting in his seat on his very network that he built.

Stern is well compensated, but it's not like people sit around pondering radio legacies. They flip on the dial in the morning want something to listen to on the way to work. Pretty soon, they'll think O and A and not Stern. I believe in my heart he'd give back all that money for that not to be. Again, it's not 500 millon or nothing, it's 500 million vs. 1 or 200 millon.

And to be sure, he never "conquered" opie and anthony. He muscled them around based on being the 500 lb gorilla for infinity but he never took the fight to them because he didn't know if he could win.

I don't at all. If Stern fought them back like a man, like he did with DeBella or Mark & Brian, and didn't lie and cower like a wuss, maybe I'll feel for him.When O&A are successful in both Satellite and terrestrial at the same time (something Stern didn't do), maybe then he can put his "they are Howard Stern imitators/they have no listeners" nonsense to rest.

Stern is the 2nd best personality on satellite radio, after O&A. He should wear that as a badge of honor.

Stern just choked on his lunch.

That's guy like watching your worst enemy sleep with your ex-wife.

You mean at Nobu? I'm sure it's tough.

NoooooBuuuuuuu, You like to eat at NoooBuuuuuu don't you Mr. Stern?

I live in a normal house.

not what i heard, i know a guy who's says your house is huge

How much can you spend? For so long, this guy has been the keeper of his own flame, concerned with only legacy and perpeputing the "myth" of Stern. He's lost his way though. I don't doubt the guy actually thought he'd redefine satalite as he was able impact other mediums in his heyday.

His influence in undeniable. His influences(not imitators) dot the radio landscape. Some would take this as flattery, he seems to geniunely take offense and see it as theft. But for all that cash, he has no relevancy. Again, he could have had an easy 100 million from CBS and still been THE guy in entertainment radio. Now he has 500 million, but hes' a ghost. I think his ego is such that he needs not only the spotlight but constant affirmation of his legacy. He no longer has those things

And the humilation is, the one radio program he probably knew he couldn't compete with(based on the fact he never went on the offensive against them) is now sitting in his seat on his very network that he built.

Stern is well compensated, but it's not like people sit around pondering radio legacies. They flip on the dial in the morning want something to listen to on the way to work. Pretty soon, they'll think O and A and not Stern. I believe in my heart he'd give back all that money for that not to be. Again, it's not 500 millon or nothing, it's 500 million vs. 1 or 200 millon.

And to be sure, he never "conquered" opie and anthony. He muscled them around based on being the 500 lb gorilla for infinity but he never took the fight to them because he didn't know if he could win.

Satelite radio is going to be huge in another 5-10 years. And Stern will get much of the credit. Since I got Sirius three months ago I've turned on the terrestial radio only a handful of times. The music channels have no commercials. How can terrestial compete with that?

It's $13 a month. That is peanuts for something most of us would use at least 30 minutes a day. That's two trips to Starbucks. I rave to all my friends about satelite as I'm sure everyone else who has it does. The word of mouth is huge and will only get bigger.

Stern's show is terrific right now. With the 24/7 replay I rarely even listen to music anymore.

If Opie and Anthony were so special to begin with they never would have been given the boot in the first place. They are small potatoes.

Satelite radio is going to be huge in another 5-10 years. And Stern will get much of the credit. Since I got Sirius three months ago I've turned on the terrestial radio only a handful of times. The music channels have no commercials. How can terrestial compete with that?

It's $13 a month. That is peanuts for something most of us would use at least 30 minutes a day. That's two trips to Starbucks. I rave to all my friends about satelite as I'm sure everyone else who has it does. The word of mouth is huge and will only get bigger.

Stern's show is terrific right now. With the 24/7 replay I rarely even listen to music anymore.

If Opie and Anthony were so special to begin with they never would have been given the boot in the first place. They are small potatoes.

It will only be Stern giving Stern credit if his competitor continues to outpace his company. Stern will be in his 60's in 10 years, the relevancy won't be there. And I used to love Stern, and he could still be a great radio personality at that age. Imus and Bob Grant are two role models he should look to emulate in maybe tweaking his act.

It will only be Stern giving Stern credit if his competitor continues to outpace his company.

It is my understanding that Sirius is gaining. Is that incorrect?

It will only be Stern giving Stern credit if his competitor continues to outpace his company.

Sirius is most definately gaining, but XM still leads. Stern was basically the pinch hitter that HAD to work for Sirius, since they'd made such a signifcant financial investment in them.

Looking objectively down the road though, the two properties that XM has that could sway this race are Oprah and MLB. She's not pure gold, it's not like her magazine and tv network have exploded, but she's a pretty major brand. As is MLB, which in my mind has been marketed horribly thus far. It's a lifelong dream come true for the out of market fan, to hear their team out of market in clear sound. I think that will have a bigger impact than any shock jock ever could.

The only thing that could compare is Limbaugh going satalite exclusive. I think he's the last guy left with a dedicated enough audience to bring them to satalite(which I don't think Hannity and Savage could do, who owe their large audience to convience more than a fevered base who would also be comfortable with satalite).

Really, you have skewed view of reality. First off, let me state that I don't care who's show is better and that I don't care who would win a radio war.

But Stern is still relevant. He's brought well over a million listeners to Sirius. When Opie and Anthony came to XM, I think people had to pay an extra dollar for them... but no one was willing to do that, so that had to scrap that pretty quick.

So, as I said, you have a skewed vision of reality.

Sirius is most definately gaining, but XM still leads. Stern was basically the pinch hitter that HAD to work for Sirius, since they'd made such a signifcant financial investment in them.

Looking objectively down the road though, the two properties that XM has that could sway this race are Oprah and MLB. She's not pure gold, it's not like her magazine and tv network have exploded, but she's a pretty major brand. As is MLB, which in my mind has been marketed horribly thus far. It's a lifelong dream come true for the out of market fan, to hear their team out of market in clear sound. I think that will have a bigger impact than any shock jock ever could.

The only thing that could compare is Limbaugh going satalite exclusive. I think he's the last guy left with a dedicated enough audience to bring them to satalite(which I don't think Hannity and Savage could do, who owe their large audience to convience more than a fevered base who would also be comfortable with satalite).

Isn't Oprah only going to be on air live for 30 minutes a week?

I can't see a lot of people paying $$$ just to hear Oprah for 2 hours a month.

I agree about the MLB, but Sirius has got the NFL and Nascar exclusives.

If you want my opinion, the main advantage XM has right now is their exclusive deal with Honda... Sirius has a couple of deals with car companies, but none close to the size of the Honda deal.

Longterm, I see there being plenty of room for both companies. Just like Dishnetwork and DirecTv co-exist. However, I think Sirius will be the more sucessful company longterm.

They were let go because they did something very stupid, and paid for it.

It's not like they were fired b/c they weren't making their employer any money.

They are the true pioneers of satellite radio, hell, even Stern was doing spots for XM on his old radio show......

Really, you have skewed view of reality. First off, let me state that I don't care who's show is better and that I don't care who would win a radio war.

But Stern is still relevant. He's brought well over a million listeners to Sirius. When Opie and Anthony came to XM, I think people had to pay an extra dollar for them... but no one was willing to do that, so that had to scrap that pretty quick.

So, as I said, you have a skewed vision of reality.

Don't take Stern as the source for Satalite growth. His move was well-timed, as this is first year of satalite being an in dash option for most vehicles in the U.S. He was no doubt THE star in the sky for radio, and he's much bigger now than Opie and Anthony will ever be. However, being big in radio is like being the Douple A MVP. The cash is there, but his relevancy is gone. During the surge of Sirus growth, XM has grown as well. Stern doesn't get defacto credit for all subs, but he does get credit for a lot of them.

The days of Stern being on Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone is over. His days of having enough of an audience to change the ratings on Letterman or Leno are over. He was able to self promote to having the number one movie in America. Thats the relevancy I'm talking about. His Q rating is falling and will only fall faster. O and A never had that impact, but Stern did. And had Stern stayed on terrestial, he probably could have maintained that profile, albeit in a diminished capacity. That is all gone.

He's got one bullet left in the chamber, and thats a book detailing his life since 96 or so. A book detailing his divorce and getting into Jackie departures could still be a big media event, even with him on satalite. Now all show business is an act, but for the guy who once positioned himself as the ultimate open book has long been reticient to talk about that. If he would open up about that, that might be a big event.

Or returning to terrestial might be a similar event, but that looks like its not in the cards for at least 5 years. But as I said originally, there are no burned bridges, as O and A returning to CBS radio indicates.

Isn't Oprah only going to be on air live for 30 minutes a week?

I can't see a lot of people paying $$$ just to hear Oprah for 2 hours a month.

I agree about the MLB, but Sirius has got the NFL and Nascar exclusives.

If you want my opinion, the main advantage XM has right now is their exclusive deal with Honda... Sirius has a couple of deals with car companies, but none close to the size of the Honda deal.

Longterm, I see there being plenty of room for both companies. Just like Dishnetwork and DirecTv co-exist. However, I think Sirius will be the more sucessful company longterm.

The car prescence is less of an issue. As Stern has rightly(but perhaps dangerously) touted, the radio "brain" is reprogrammable. The Nascar is a nice property, but how many people are going to listen to football on the radio? It's one day a week, and generally easy enough to get yourself in front of a TV. It's a nice corporate partner and I don't doubt XM wish they had them, but they aren't the companion sport to radio that baseball is.

Don't take Stern as the source for Satalite growth. His move was well-timed, as this is first year of satalite being an in dash option for most vehicles in the U.S. He was no doubt THE star in the sky for radio, and he's much bigger now than Opie and Anthony will ever be. However, being big in radio is like being the Douple A MVP. The cash is there, but his relevancy is gone. During the surge of Sirus growth, XM has grown as well. Stern doesn't get defacto credit for all subs, but he does get credit for a lot of them.

The days of Stern being on Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone is over. His days of having enough of an audience to change the ratings on Letterman or Leno are over. He was able to self promote to having the number one movie in America. Thats the relevancy I'm talking about. His Q rating is falling and will only fall faster. O and A never had that impact, but Stern did. And had Stern stayed on terrestial, he probably could have maintained that profile, albeit in a diminished capacity. That is all gone.

He's got one bullet left in the chamber, and thats a book detailing his life since 96 or so. A book detailing his divorce and getting into Jackie departures could still be a big media event, even with him on satalite. Now all show business is an act, but for the guy who once positioned himself as the ultimate open book has long been reticient to talk about that. If he would open up about that, that might be a big event.

Or returning to terrestial might be a similar event, but that looks like its not in the cards for at least 5 years. But as I said originally, there are no burned bridges, as O and A returning to CBS radio indicates.

Howard was on the cover of Ent. Weekely last week....so how are "those days over??" :rolleyes:

Howard was on the cover of Ent. Weekely last week....so how are "those days over??" :rolleyes:

:lmao:

Realistically, what future events are left for him to warrant such coverage? His power was in his audience, and his audience is gone. He lost 90 percent of his audience in the switch. Out of site, out of mind.

The days of Stern being on Entertainment Weekly is over.

Wasnt he just on the cover of EW a couple of weeks ago?

You definitely have a very skewed view of reality man.

And when Sirius overtakes XM, which is only a matter of time, it will be directly because of Stern.

The days of Stern being on Entertainment Weekly  is over.

Wasnt he just on the cover of EW a couple of weeks ago?

You definitely have a very skewed view of reality man.

And when Sirius overtakes XM, which is only a matter of time, it will be directly because of Stern.

Oh well, we'll see.

Next time every major news media organization sends a reporter to cover an opie and anthony story, let me know.

Until then, dont include them on the same planet as Stern

Archived