What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (2 Viewers)

Took 3 months for the seat covers to come in through Quadratec. When I got them they were too big. We are talking like 8" of extra material. Weird. Sent them back for a refund.

Haven't done too much to the Jeep. Trying to make it as low profile as possible. Removed the decals and am going to PlastiDip the Trail Rated Badge.

Replaced the chrome Jeep emblem with a flat black one. Also did the grill mod. Just used some black gutter guard from mendards, zip ties, and gorilla glue. I like the look a lot. I wish there was a way to black out the door locks that was durable. I want zero chrome.

Next I think I'm going to install clear turn signals and reflectors.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55206_9004.htm

Other than that, just going to put the hard top back on next week before the snow flies. My daughter really wants to go top down doors off during a snow storm wearing ski masks. I think that would be fun. :bag:
Right on! Riding with top down in snow is indeed fun. :thumbup: Post up some pics as the customization goes on. Always interested in seeing how folks build em up!

I've not done much to mine as far as upgrades but about a month ago I found out I had sheared all motor mount bolts at the engine block meaning I had to get the snapped bolt ends OUT of the block. Not an easy proposition. Looking into it, it seemed some folks advocated heating the block with a torch to liquify the bolts and have them melt/pour out. Etc. Put it in the hands of a good buddy at Spyder Offroad and he knocked it out and got everything bolted back up with new grade 8 hardware. $100. Not bad. :lol:

This past weekend hit my club's annual Fall Run (7th anniversary Run).... This year it was at Hawk Pride Mountain Offroad Park in Tuscumbia AL. Turns out we had about 150-200 folks show up with a massive array of jeeps. Built a tent city out there. Dragged a Keg out. Camped. Drank around the fire. Wheeled. I cooked a huge dinner for all with chicken breast and flat iron steak fajitas, taco beef, and a huge spread of sides. Went extremely well.

My jeep performed great up until about 3pm on Saturday. I was running with a small group of good buddies on a class 4 rock garden and I heard a loud POP from out front. Checked and sure enough it was an axle shaft (u joint blew and took out the ears). No biggie, head back to our Club support trailer for a spare. Folks head back. no dice. The 2 sets had already been used that weekend.

Called a buddy who hadn't left memphis yet and had him grab my set from my garage. Broke out the high lift, used my winch to suck-down the front axle and got the jeep up. Pulled the old axle shaft and got back off the trail in 3 wheel drive. It was funny.. as I was turning around in the woods to head out another jeep similar in build (even was yellow as well ) snapped the exact same part in the exact same spot. :lol:

Next morning I pulled the wheel/brakes off in camp and installed the axle shaft without incident. Had a little help from my buddy's son with the finishing touches. :) Gotta head back out to the junkyard and pull some more spares before my next trip. This D30 pops a little too often for my liking (Blew out the drivers side shaft aiding in a buggy recovery a few months back).

Couple other pics from the run:

testing out one of the camp grills our club donated to the park (8 units total) to be installed around the primitive campground.

Pretty scenery up in Northwest alabama

Shot of my buddy dabbs in his Truggy

Me feeding the feral park dog a sweet breakfast Burrito

Keg at camp. had these giant foam color shifting LED sticks from hakkasan in vegas. used em for illumination.

Rough Country suspensions ( a club sponsor) had a Tv crew out there. Short video

Line of jeeps from one group

We keep it very family friendly. Lotta kids and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at buying a'13 wrangler. I probably know the answer to this but will dealer come down in price near end of year. Especially with 2014's on the lot?

I am looking at buying a'13 wrangler. I probably know the answer to this but will dealer come down in price near end of year. Especially with 2014's on the lot?
I would imagine so... I know they try to move inventory and make numbers at end of month and end of year. I think it depends on what each dealership is at with regards to their numbers/inventory. Wranglers, in general, sell through very well so from what I understand there may be little less wiggle room than other vehicles. That said it's certainly worth a try.

Almost bought a j10 that I would have refurbed but the wife nixed it as she didnt like the looks. Got her interested in scouts and broncos though. Was going to get a 1967 800 scout, but I barely fit and it was uncomfortable as hell. Now I'm focusing on a 1974 scout ii.

Almost bought a j10 that I would have refurbed but the wife nixed it as she didnt like the looks. Got her interested in scouts and broncos though. Was going to get a 1967 800 scout, but I barely fit and it was uncomfortable as hell. Now I'm focusing on a 1974 scout ii.
I :wub: the old scouts.

Yeah, thosescouts are awesome. My dad had one when i was young, and then for reasons that can't be explained he sold it. Idiot.

You running d30s on that jeep? I have no experience with jeeps, but thought about using d44s instead? What's ur setup?

Very few 2013's are left, and from what I have seen there almost no price difference in a 2013 and a 2014. If you wanted a 2013, the time to buy was late august when the 2014's were just rolling out.

Yeah, thosescouts are awesome. My dad had one when i was young, and then for reasons that can't be explained he sold it. Idiot.

You running d30s on that jeep? I have no experience with jeeps, but thought about using d44s instead? What's ur setup?
My setup is essentially:

Dana 30 Front : Stock w 4.88 Gears and Aussie Locker

Dana 44 Rear: Rubicon Air Locker / 4.88 Gears / RockCrusher Diff Cover / Alloy USA Shafts

DANA 30 vs DANA 44 UP FRONT

D44 is superior to the Dana 30 up front in certain ways (slightly larger pinion, stouter tubes) but still shares the same weak link which is the U-Joint giving out and taking the ears of the shafts with it. So, in that regard, it's not really worth upgrading from a Dana 30 to a Dana44. Your money would be much better spent on alloy or RCV shafts.

I've never had an issue with the rear axle (knock on wood) but have snapped both sides of the D30 axles. Both times it was a U-Joint giving out and taking the ears with it. I just carry extra D30 shafts and don't really sweat it.

For the price of Alloy shafts I'd consider going to RCV instead. They are literally unbreakable, but they move the "fuse" to your pinion or ring gear snapping. If you wheel hard enough that's a concern as that's not an easy trail fix like swapping in fresh shafts.

DANA 35 vs DANA 44 IN THE REAR

Dana 35 is a time bomb if you wheel it (or even drive hard on the street). Not only is the shaft diameter small, but it lacks a C Clip to retain the shafts, meaning when you break, the shaft will walk out of the tube and your wheel will literally fall off. Breaking on the trail involves a rather elaborate rigging to get back to camp if you don't have spare shafts.

Dana 44 in the rear actually offers a significant upgrade not only in axle shaft diameter (typically the breaking point for a rear axle), but but also doesn't have the "wheel walk out" risk either. D44 or Ford 8.8 is a VERY adviseable upgrade for someone running a Dana 35 rear axle. I'd even go so far as to say I would never put a locker on a Dana 35 axle.

Hopefully that helps. :thumbup:

Sorry if this is a Honda in the Jeep thread, but here's a pretty funny Jeep CL ad from a couple weeks ago.

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2013/10/check-balls-texas-mans-craigslist-ad-jeep-wrangler/

I should start by saying that if you are looking for a “Pajama party Barbie Jeep” you my friend, should keep looking. If you are looking for a short description of to the beast before you, I can offer you two words “MEAT & POTATOES”. This is the All American chariot of the free world.
You are not dealing with any ordinary, cookie cutter Jeep son. This thing was forged from a single block of all American Tungsten Steel. Real sturdy! From that day forward my life has never been the same. Winch yourself off that couch and see if you can handle this Jeep Wrangler Sahara.
So if you are looking for a rice burning hatch back, a solar powered liberal mobile, or even a Hyundai crossover keep on looking my friend this thing is a piece of red white and blue Americana Machinery.
This baby’s pulse is pumping 4.0 liters of uncensored raw fuel through her straight six nuclear power plant. And rest assured this is no metro feminine automatic. . .you command her to obey, with your calloused hand planted firmly on the shifter. And she will obey, the first time, every time. If you can’t handle your stick shifter, or reach the clutch pedal, you better not ferry skip over here wanting to test drive her. If you stall her out, you can count on getting hit in the face with a piece of re-bar and sent back where you came from.
It has A/C but are you kidding me….Really! If you want to blow the sweat off your brow, you do it the old fashioned way: doors off, top down. “What if it rains?”. . .You whiney #####! I told you to stop reading. . . Any man who drives this beast doesn’t give a damn about rain. Not even skin melting acid rain, Cause he’s already dripping wet in blood, sweat, dip spit, and fish guts.
If you are looking for the kind of jeep that has to be pansy parked in the garage, so the “carpet doesn’t get wet and soggy” Then you should plant your Obama sticker on some Japanese piece of ####. Cause this thing has drain holes in the floor and rhino lined to let the blood drain out from the buffalo you just killed, with your bare hands. Because you are William Wallace from Braveheart and when you get home you can leave your “sissy sponge glove car wash kit” in the pink bucket it came in. Go ahead and spark up your 6000 psi heated pressure washer on the dually trailer in your man cave, cause you are Tim Gillespie and you can pressure wash your truck on the inside. She’s got rhino lined floors with a full roll cage in case that buffalo comes back to life while you’re doing 80 over some mountain pass or flooded river.
If you’re thinking about Mexican chrome bumpers for her, think again. The bumper bashers come hand forged in a blacksmith shop in Franklin County over a wood burnin fire, out of 4 inch well casing, and railroad tracks and then I welded em to the damn chassis. That way if you get deployed you can piggy back this war wagon on a deuce and a half and chain her down tight from the four corners, so you don’t lose her when your convoy gets hit by a taliband roadside suicide bomber.
And forget about putting one of those “It’s a Jeep Thing. . .You wouldn’t understand” stickers on this machine cause when you’re spotted in this American Classic there will be no questions, no further explanation required, people will understand and get out of your way. . …real quick.
If you think you’re ready to park this panty hauler on your tract of land. If you buy this jeep you better go get your old lady ready for some damn changes around your lair, cause this #### will be happening. What will be Happening? Glad you asked….
1. More chest hair.
2. You’re growing a beard.
3. Meat Only Diet.
4. T-Rex for a pet.
5. You’re taking a job at the lumber mill.
6. Your car carries five kegs.
7. Penis enlargement.
8. Catch more fish.
9. Wire bristled toothbrush.
10. Sex in the yard.
11. Sex in the garage.
12. All male offspring.
13. Chiseled jaw line.
14. Not giving a damn.
15. Flesh turning to steel.
16. Higher salary
17. Promotions.
18. Better looking wives.
19. Better looking mistresses.
20. More golfing
21. More killing stuff.
22. More dead animals in the KITCHEN freezer.
23. More tools in your garage.
24. Bigger TV
25. Wife takes out the trash
26. Four Wheel Drive
27. Wife brings trash can in from road.
28. Wife stops #####ing about clothes on floor.
29. Wife stocks fridge with beer.
30. Chuck Norris.
31. John McCain
32. Steaks for dinner.
33. Winning the Lottery.
34. Women on the side.
35. Wrestling with bea
36. Building #### out of stone.
37. Riding Lawn Mower.
38. Bon Fires in cul-de-sac.
39. Bar Fights.
40. Wife picks you up from Thee Gentlemen’s Club.
41. Craftsman Tools.
42. Jay Bisset.
43. Welding stuff.
44. Digging holes.
45. Huge Piece of meat.
Put your GPS back in your purse.
Sounds good doesn’t it?
This jeep has carried me through 155,000 miles of battlefield twice as gruesome as the second half of the movie “300″. . ..And just like a trusty steed this juggernaut has never left me stranded. If you think you’ve worn her out you drag this beast back to me in any condition. And Ill handle the rest.
But if you think you’re going to get to whip this mule you better pony up Sixty Five Hundred Dollars. . .American Cash. I’m not selling you this car unless you are clearly a pure blooded American Species, so don’t even think about it.

Anybody ever have a problem of their Jeep not starting? I have a 99 Cherokee Limited and sometimes I'll try turning the ignition and it'll give me one click and not start.

It's holiday time - what are some good Jeep related gift items?

Specifically, I hate the soft top that comes with the Jeep (have hard top also, '13 unlimited / 4 door). Would like something more like a Bimini, keep it on for a week or couple weeks at a time, doesn't take much space all that. Seething where I can take off the hard top and be good to go for a while and easy to store. Any suggestions?

Bestop Or QuadraTop any good?

Haven't done anything new to my new Wrangler lately. :kicksrock:

However, a friend just gave me his old Wrangler. Either 92 or 93, I have it back outside the shop and it is -12 today, so I'm not checking. It is a piece of crap. Rusty, spring needs to be replaced, no heat, just beat up. No back seat. Etc. Engine runs pretty good.

So, my 10 yo son and I are going to fix this thing up. The extent of my mechanical knowledge goes as far as about changing my own oil. So, it is going to be a learning experience. My shop foreman here at work is a major gear head. Builds his own cars, etc. so, I will be picking his brain a ton. Nice thing is I own a metal fabricating shop, so any welding, sandblasting, painting, plasma cutting, etc can be done here.

I think we decided upon a Mad Max / Post Apocalyptic theme.

Going to completely tear out the inside, weld any patches in as needed, and bedline the entire inside of the vehicle. Outside we are going to have to cut away some fenders, replace the tires and wheels, fix the aforementioned springs, lift it, etc. I'm sure there is a ton more we are going to have to do (there always is), but what the hell. A little fun project.

We are not going to be in any big hurry with this thing. I'd like to pick up most, if not all of the components I need on the secondary market. I was already given a tip on a machine shop that will manufacture a spring for me for pretty cheap.

Since there is no back seat I think it would be really cool to cut into the hard top and somehow fab a turret. Not sure if that is doable though.

So, that's pretty much it. I will be sure to take a ton of pictures throughout the process.

Any advice, ideas, or tips are always welcomed!

ETA

One thing the son demands is a snorkel. So, that will also be getting done.

Why the hell doesn't the grand cherokee have a 3rd row? With the cherokee back it seems like Jeep should have a 3rd row in the GC

Anybody ever have a problem of their Jeep not starting? I have a 99 Cherokee Limited and sometimes I'll try turning the ignition and it'll give me one click and not start.
Fuel and Fire (electric spark)... you're missing one. Can be a PITA to track this kinda stuff down. One click sounds like starter or electrical system, though.

Haven't done anything new to my new Wrangler lately. :kicksrock:

So, that's pretty much it. I will be sure to take a ton of pictures throughout the process.

Any advice, ideas, or tips are always welcomed!

ETA

One thing the son demands is a snorkel. So, that will also be getting done.
This sounds awesome. Look up the black ops mission II and Seach and Rescue jeep builds at my buddy's shop for ideas. Please post updates!

Why the hell doesn't the grand cherokee have a 3rd row? With the cherokee back it seems like Jeep should have a 3rd row in the GC
No idea... I know that demand for the previous 3rd row SUV was nil though.

@ icon

Those are awesome. Unreal.

Considering my son is 10 and I have the maturity and mechanical skills of about the same age, our build will be a little more, ah, rudimentary. There are still going to be dents, etc. Just want it to look mean and be able to fly through the farmer's fields in the off season.

@ icon

Considering my son is 10 and I have the maturity and mechanical skills of about the same age, our build will be a little more, ah, rudimentary. There are still going to be dents, etc. Just want it to look mean and be able to fly through the farmer's fields in the off season.
OH I hear ya man! I fully expect your project to be a fun one rather than a show one. still excited to see em! My fab skills are very rudimentary as well. I'm stoked to see what you guys build up! Just was throwing those out as maybe some ideas for whatever. :)

I need some Jeep "mentoring" if possible. I am heading up north (a Michigan thing) to a private Game Club with 800+ acres in Grayling, MI this weekend with my son. I have a stock 2010 Wrangler I bought used a bit earlier and have had it in 8+ inches of snow on pavement, but nothing beyond this. The game club has a plowed main road, but also has a bunch of intertwined logging roads that, I am guessing, have gone unplowed or traveled this winter other than by snowmobiles. I am looking for general advice on how to approach deeper snow including; max depth, angles in and out of ruts, general what to watch out for type stuff. No winch, so I bought a 30' rescue strap and I know at least one other 4x4 will be up there and, I have a 15-year old that can act as human winch (wrapped around a tree for leverage).

Finally got some tires since I had to. <_< Happy with the look. Still considering a small lift but it looks pretty good now.

Before

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8332763740_268cb0b188_b.jpg

After

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/11763263854_cc05625518_b.jpg

Anybody want some old Jeep rims? :lol: Hoping to sell them on Ebay for a few bucks.
Looks good!

There is a market for the OEM alloy rims. Try Craigslist or post on your local jeep club forum. Ebay is tough given the costs of shipping but couldn't hurt.

So... How many windshields should I expect to go through?
Depends on the conditions, but the flat windshield of a Jeep takes a lot of abuse. Thankfully they're cheap. I'm on my 3rd since 2006 and it's got a nice rock nick in it (happened a week after getting it replaced, of course). :lol: Lifting it helps...

I need some Jeep "mentoring" if possible. I am heading up north (a Michigan thing) to a private Game Club with 800+ acres in Grayling, MI this weekend with my son. I have a stock 2010 Wrangler I bought used a bit earlier and have had it in 8+ inches of snow on pavement, but nothing beyond this. The game club has a plowed main road, but also has a bunch of intertwined logging roads that, I am guessing, have gone unplowed or traveled this winter other than by snowmobiles. I am looking for general advice on how to approach deeper snow including; max depth, angles in and out of ruts, general what to watch out for type stuff. No winch, so I bought a 30' rescue strap and I know at least one other 4x4 will be up there and, I have a 15-year old that can act as human winch (wrapped around a tree for leverage).
Key things for situations like this:

Traction/Tires: What kind of tires do you have. Bald or street tires are bad. Something with some nice tread on it (preferably AT or MT style tires are ideal. If you find the lugs clogging getting some wheelspeed can spin out some of the snow from the lugs.

Ground Clearance: The TJ model wranglers had a horrible transfer case skid design that hung down and acted like a "Shovel", dragging through mud/snow and slowing you down. Not sure about the JK underside.

Momentum: Momentum is key... keep your wheels moving and if you start bogging down, get some wheelspeed up.

Air Down: If the snow is deeper than your axles then you'll want to float as much as possible. Drop your tires to 15psi or so.

I don't have a Wrangler but my gf does have a Liberty. The thing works very well, carries what we need (no kids), etc. It's probably below average on gas, but we rarely drive it unless we need to. With snow here today, we are glad we got this thing.

I don't have a Wrangler but my gf does have a Liberty. The thing works very well, carries what we need (no kids), etc. It's probably below average on gas, but we rarely drive it unless we need to. With snow here today, we are glad we got this thing.
:thumbup:

My GF drives a liberty as well and loves it. Very reliable. Has performed great when we do get the rare snow/ice. It's no wrangler, but I'll put it against pretty much any other SUV out there in adverse conditions. Like you said, they're not the best with fuel economy but they're not horrible either. Well made little vehicles.

Down the road if you wanna dump about 10-15k into it, you could turn it into a pretty serious trail rig as well ;)

Guy passes by in an older Cherokee the other day and I say to my wife "No Jeep wave since he's not driving a "Jeep"". :D

My GF drives a liberty as well and loves it. Very reliable. Has performed great when we do get the rare snow/ice. It's no wrangler, but I'll put it against pretty much any other SUV out there in adverse conditions. Like you said, they're not the best with fuel economy but they're not horrible either. Well made little vehicles.

Down the road if you wanna dump about 10-15k into it, you could turn it into a pretty serious trail rig as well ;)
Ha, that's insane.

I definitely want to put a hitch on it soon, though.

Guy passes by in an older Cherokee the other day and I say to my wife "No Jeep wave since he's not driving a "Jeep"". :D
:lol:

Even in our club theres a lot of good natured ball busting between the wrangler and cherokee guys. Jokes about them not having frames are rampant. There is also good natured square headlights (cherokee/YJ wranglers) vs round headlight ball busting as well.

one guy in our club has built a damn fine 2000 Cherokee Classic.... very capable rig :thumbup:

My Canyonero Commander is still rolling

BIL and MIL both just bought the new Cherokees

Little small, but very sharp

@ icon

Jeep parts a very cheap...since this is going to be a weekend beater check you local junk yards and jeep message boards for everything you need. I think that you will be surprised how cost effectively you can get that thing up and running. The mechanical on those is relatively easy. I am a change my own brakes, basic parts on the motor, etc kind of mechanic. i have been able to do the majority of the maint on my land rover. Post pics...this sounds like a fun build.

couple of things here...Snow actually provides ok traction. keep up you momentum when going through the deep stuff. To be honest, a shovel is just as effective of a tool in snow as anything else you mentioned. If you plan on keeping the rig for any amount of time invest in a decent set of chains. You will be amazed at what you can do with a good set of front and rear. if there are two vehicles, let the one with the most clearance blaze the trail. Have fun and make sure you bring plenty of warm cloth's just in case...better safe than sorry.

couple of things here...Snow actually provides ok traction. keep up you momentum when going through the deep stuff. To be honest, a shovel is just as effective of a tool in snow as anything else you mentioned. If you plan on keeping the rig for any amount of time invest in a decent set of chains. You will be amazed at what you can do with a good set of front and rear. if there are two vehicles, let the one with the most clearance blaze the trail. Have fun and make sure you bring plenty of warm cloth's just in case...better safe than sorry.
Thanks (and to you too ICON) for the replies. A shovel is already in the pile of stuff packed. It'll be interesting to see what I can access. We have about 12" total left on the ground, the the ski resorts up there are talking a 90" base, which of course includes man made, but there may be nothing but a few unpaved dirt roads for me to be able to play on with snow that deep.

So... How many windshields should I expect to go through?
Replied above GB
Thanks, missed it mid post. Not sure when the crack happened but it was creeping for a couple weeks. Then it went to 3 degrees here and it grew from 3 inches to 18 during a 15min ride home.

Insurance covered this one but it appears that it's likely to occur again.
I'm on my 6th windshield since 2003 (one of those was replaced b/c it leaked, not b/c of chips/cracks, but still). It's just part of being a Jeep owner.

I went with a buddy today to help him unload empty propane tanks, fill them, and load them back.

Going through town to take me home, we encounter a water line break on a three lane with an 'S' curve. The Jeep driver behind us got impatient with how slow we were going (icey road, full propane tanks) and attempted to pass us on the right; center and right lane covered in ice, left lane slush. He skids, goes sideways, hits the curb, jeep goes on its side and the plastic top comes off.

We double back, go a couple of blocks and come back to help the guy. We get out of the truck, and Jeep guy is like, "What the hell were you doing?"

We turn around, get in the truck and call 911.

So I ask, what percentage of Jeep guys are complete #######s?

I went with a buddy today to help him unload empty propane tanks, fill them, and load them back.

Going through town to take me home, we encounter a water line break on a three lane with an 'S' curve. The Jeep driver behind us got impatient with how slow we were going (icey road, full propane tanks) and attempted to pass us on the right; center and right lane covered in ice, left lane slush. He skids, goes sideways, hits the curb, jeep goes on its side and the plastic top comes off.

We double back, go a couple of blocks and come back to help the guy. We get out of the truck, and Jeep guy is like, "What the hell were you doing?"

My guess is this guy was either under 28 yo and/or had purchased the Jeep very recently. Either way, we have already disavowed him as a Jeep owner.

My guess is this guy was either under 28 yo and/or had purchased the Jeep very recently. Either way, we have already disavowed him as a Jeep owner.
:goodposting:

MOST folks who drive jeeps drive pretty passively. I've done some dickish things in mine (once ducked off into a gravel shoulder hitting a big puddle that washed into traffic unintentionally causing an accident), but that was more of stupid younger me thinking "Ooo puddle!" and not having my jeep long. Generally speaking you'll find most wrangler/jeep owners driving pretty casually as (at least for me) it's more about the enjoyable drive vs rushing to get there. I am a FAR less agressive driver with my Jeep than I was with my Lexus GS300.

But no doubt there are some "Jeep Bro!" types that are attracted to the brand as well... unfortunately. You'll rarely see them off road though.

:goodposting:

MOST folks who drive jeeps drive pretty passively. I've done some dickish things in mine (once ducked off into a gravel shoulder hitting a big puddle that washed into traffic unintentionally causing an accident), but that was more of stupid younger me thinking "Ooo puddle!" and not having my jeep long. Generally speaking you'll find most wrangler/jeep owners driving pretty casually as (at least for me) it's more about the enjoyable drive vs rushing to get there. I am a FAR less agressive driver with my Jeep than I was with my Lexus GS300.

But no doubt there are some "Jeep Bro!" types that are attracted to the brand as well... unfortunately. You'll rarely see them off road though.
LOL I did this exact same thing in one of my jeeps on my way to a sunday morning football game. Crossed a double yellow to hit the puddle. Because I was going to play football had no ID on me and cop pulled me over for driving like a moron. Got cuffed and put into the back of the cop car until they could verify who I was.

How you feel about the "new" (post 2007?) Liberty's? My Trooper's days are numbered and I'm looking for something that can go through/over anything, carry a buncha stuff AND ride the highway.

How you feel about the "new" (post 2007?) Liberty's? My Trooper's days are numbered and I'm looking for something that can go through/over anything, carry a buncha stuff AND ride the highway.
I have zero impression of them. Don't know anyone who drives them. GF hates the look compared to the older style because they're not as "Cute" :lol:

So I gotta share this one...

Our club is pretty big at this point... 200+ dues paying members. Tons of good sized sponsors. Forum is extremely active for a local jeep club (50k visits/750k page views a month). We have a board of directors in place (myself, the other cofounder, and another old school member) and 6 elected officer positions.

We've had some issues with the current batch of officers... namely a couple of them being idiots and generally repeatedly doing stupid #### that causes significant image problems for the club. This weekend we had yet another such incident.

A club sponsor is the local 4 Wheel Parts location. they provide thousands of dollars in annual donations for club raffles... offer private after hours sales for the club, occasionally open up their shop to club members after hours to work on their jeeps for free..etc. Great relationship. A new project we're working on is we're collaborating on building a jeep for a veteran. 4WP is buying the jeep and getting companies to donate a bunch of parts. Our club is handling the build after hours.

THE INCIDENT:

We sent two officers down 90 minutes south to pick up this jeep. It was in good shape. A great foundation for the build. Well one of the officers was "testing out" his new long trailer and had his jeep already loaded up. Officer two pulled the new jeep onto the back of the trailer, then his "foot slipped". Now we have a jeep with a bashed in front grill/radiator...damaged hood and fender. A jeep that the sponsor paid for in GOOD shape, and now has been delivered in wrecked shape. :lol:

So NOW the club has to source and pay for the parts to repair the damage, before we can start on the rest of the build which was already on a relatively tight timeframe. Of course the driver has yet to man up and address any of this... it's only Officer 2 who was there who is asking what's up and what we should do.

Idiots.

I have zero impression of them. Don't know anyone who drives them. GF hates the look compared to the older style because they're not as "Cute" :lol:
Aaaalrighty, then. The new generation may not be as cute, but I'm looking for the interior space...

Aaaalrighty, then. The new generation may not be as cute, but I'm looking for the interior space...
:lmao: yeah I hear ya. For my money, I prefer the "commander" inspired lines of the new model but never let my GF hear I said so. ;) I will say that her vehicle has been extremely reliable and the little things (trim, electronics, etc) have held up extremely well. I would not hesitate to recommend one to someone. I presume Jeep took a similar level of care in the design and manufacture of the new model, but I can't speak from experience.

True story, the GF had wanted a tan Liberty with leather and a sunroof for years but they hadn't fallen to her acceptable price point. Finally one did. We took it for a test drive. It was clean as a whistle. A cursory mechanical check looked good. While on the test drive I went through the glove box to look for maintenance records. I found some and with it I found the name and cell phone number of the previous owner. I called her up with the strange request of "Hey I'm test driving your old liberty now, and since you've off-loaded it you can be honest... was it a good vehicle?" She gushed over it and said she had switched to a Mercedes... but still missed her liberty. It had zero issues, etc etc. We pulled into the dealership and negotiated her price and bought it. It's been a great vehicle ever since :thumbup:

:lmao: yeah I hear ya. For my money, I prefer the "commander" inspired lines of the new model but never let my GF hear I said so. ;) I will say that her vehicle has been extremely reliable and the little things (trim, electronics, etc) have held up extremely well. I would not hesitate to recommend one to someone. I presume Jeep took a similar level of care in the design and manufacture of the new model, but I can't speak from experience.

True story, the GF had wanted a tan Liberty with leather and a sunroof for years but they hadn't fallen to her acceptable price point. Finally one did. We took it for a test drive. It was clean as a whistle. A cursory mechanical check looked good. While on the test drive I went through the glove box to look for maintenance records. I found some and with it I found the name and cell phone number of the previous owner. I called her up with the strange request of "Hey I'm test driving your old liberty now, and since you've off-loaded it you can be honest... was it a good vehicle?" She gushed over it and said she had switched to a Mercedes... but still missed her liberty. It had zero issues, etc etc. We pulled into the dealership and negotiated her price and bought it. It's been a great vehicle ever since :thumbup:
I can understand why your girl would like that Liberty model, and for off roading I would as well. More "organically" Jeep than the new one. I got the Trooper bug when I grabbed a first gen '88. The cargo area was even bigger than the 2000 that I picked up when that one died. Even with the electronics built into an '88 vehicle it was very simple to work on and reminded me of the '66 bug I once had for that and it's sparse interior build. And it's 4 cylinder engine. It had manually locking hubs and was a ball off road.

I picked up the 2000 just as rumors were swirling that Isuzu was shutting down in the US. Got a great deal on it because of that, but now that I'm looking again 10 years later I can't approach that.

Nothing quite like getting insider info on a used vehicle to put you at ease. Perfect "storm" your girlfriend ran into there. Patience is key. I'm trying not to wait until this truck starts costing me too much to maintain before making a move for another. It's still running great @ 170K miles, but it's structural integrity is beginning to reflect it's life in the northeast.

Can someone explain to me the hierarchy of Grand Cherokees - looks like there is Limited Laredo Summit and Overland. Obviously the SRT is the top model. Any link would be fine or short summary of what options are standard w each model.

Users who are viewing this thread