Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep

So as not to overlook the regular day to day boring ### life awesomeness of the Jeep:

When you can't drive around with the top off / down, it ####### rules in snow. Stock with 10-12"? No prob. Just love this car.

If only my wife didn't HATE it. And shes usually cool.

I'm not sure how this could be overlooked, these are reasons #1 and #2 I want to get a Jeep again. Living in Minnesota, Wranglers are awesome. Convertible on beautiful summer days, and trouble free driving during the winter.

Amen. This morning I hit a patch of black ice as I was breaking for a light, breaking took hold until I was about 2 car lengths from the guy in front of me when it was pure ice. I had just enough traction to purposefully turn my jeep INTO the plowed snow embankment on the side of the road, which gave me both traction and a lot of resistence from the snow/upslope to stop.

Had this been my old car, I probably would have had no traction at all and rammed the guy, or I would have damaged the front end and/or got my car stuck up on the snow bank (better than hitting another car I suppose).

Yesterday we had really messy roads as it snowed moderately hard all day, with little plowing before the drive home. It was not only easy, but fun as hell. And in a few weeks I BEST be able to take that top off. I've literally had two dreams about driving top off in the last 4 days.

Ah yes the snow has been a blast lately down here in the ice storm. My jeep has been a Godsend lately. Last week we had storm that left two ops-critical employees unable to drive to work. No problem, I played taxi around town picking folks up and bringing them to the office. Zero issues.

Yesterday the city was covered in ice with everything closed. That morning I took the jeep out, had a blast doing some donuts and practicing pulling out of spins for a bit with the GF, then hit a store, picked up a few cases of beer, and dropped them off on doorsteps of couple buddies who were snowed in with no booze.

Our jeep club generally takes to the streets whenever weather hits and pulls folks out of ditches as well. Guessing we collectively probably recovered 30-40 vehicles easily yesterday. One member is a vet who lost a leg in Afghanistan 2 years ago. We bought a used jeep, stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it with tons of upgrades that were donated. End result was a great jeep given to him at a local baseball game.

Yesterday he was out on the roads trying to pay it forward by recovering folks in need, when he came upon a Fire Rescue / EMS crew that had gotten stuck. THAT Probably the most noteable recovery of the day. Other fun ones were a local CabLimo service who got into some mud and posted up on our page. It's a good time, and helps folks out.

Regarding traction though, yeah... with 4lo and front locker engaged, I almost couldn't get my tires to break free even on pretty icy stuff. Dropping to 2WD immediately made for more "entertaining" driving around town for sure. :lol:

I do love my jeep in this #### though... a well built wrangler is near unstoppable. And like Koya said, they're very resistant to damage, so steering off into an embankment if needed is a non-issue :thumbup:

I do love my jeep in this #### though... a well built wrangler is near unstoppable. And like Koya said, they're very resistant to damage, so steering off into an embankment if needed is a non-issue :thumbup:

That's sure as #### true. When I was in college, I was headed out skiing in a decent snow storm. Came around a blind up-hill turn, and there was a car spinning to get traction going up the hill. I had to pitch hard to the side to avoid hitting the guy. My Jeep ended up plowing into the berm and ditch at the side of the road. Front tire dug hard into some of the slushy crap and caught. Stopped us really quickly and flipped us onto our side.

Called for a tow truck. Truck flipped us back upright and was about to tow us to the garage. I took a look underneath, and it basically bent a leaf spring ('95 YJ) up pretty bad, but it wasn't broken. I told him we'd be fine, and we drove another 30 minutes to go skiing, then 90 minutes back afterwards without issue. Steering alignment was a joke, and it handled a little off, but it drove.

95% of the cars on the road would've snapped something or worse and would be un-driveable.

Cool pics, but I'm having a hard time spotting the bad weather.

:thumbup:

:lol:

The Southern to Northern "Snow/Ice impact" conversion table is 1" = 1'. Now re-assess the images. :lmao:

This city loses their mind with a couple inches of snow or a 1/4" of ice. Its funny stuff. You can spot the former northerners on the road by how they're driving, and how they're trying as hard as possible to avoid Jethro in his Dodge Dually who's Busch LIght-addled mind seems to think that traction is positively correlated to speed on a 4WD truck.

Edited by [icon]

That's sure as #### true. When I was in college, I was headed out skiing in a decent snow storm. Came around a blind up-hill turn, and there was a car spinning to get traction going up the hill. I had to pitch hard to the side to avoid hitting the guy. My Jeep ended up plowing into the berm and ditch at the side of the road. Front tire dug hard into some of the slushy crap and caught. Stopped us really quickly and flipped us onto our side.

Called for a tow truck. Truck flipped us back upright and was about to tow us to the garage. I took a look underneath, and it basically bent a leaf spring ('95 YJ) up pretty bad, but it wasn't broken. I told him we'd be fine, and we drove another 30 minutes to go skiing, then 90 minutes back afterwards without issue. Steering alignment was a joke, and it handled a little off, but it drove.

95% of the cars on the road would've snapped something or worse and would be un-driveable.

:thumbup:

We had a guy take a new 4Door JK out to an off road park in Hot Springs, AR with us and ran some pretty hard trails. He still had the drive-out tags on it. He was going down a pretty challenging descent and was messing with his radio (dummy) and slid, lost it, and went up on the nose of the jeep and got it stuck against a tree at the edge of a pretty good drop off.

So imagine this brand new 4 door wrangler on it's nose... leaning against a tree... guy and his family are flipping out. Some guys from the club quickly got in position, attached some winches to recovery points, and slowly pulled the jeep off the tree and back onto it's wheels...well as softly as you can put down a 4000lb vehicle.

Jeep was fine. A little out of alignment and a dented front fender set from the endo, but very much still drivable. Wheeled the rest of the weekend, and drove it 3 hours home to Memphis. :lol:

Love that yours was still good to go after flopping it.... Gotta love em. :thumbup:

Edited by [icon]

Found an image of the guy's new Jeep that had flopped onto it's nose

That same weekend, this guy took a bad line and rolled 3x down the hill. Walked away from the wreck just fine.

Moral of the story... pay attention.

Alternate moral of the story is that Jeeps are better suited to being flipped over than Iron Shiek's Lawn Mower.

Found an image of the guy's new Jeep that had flopped onto it's nose

That same weekend, this guy took a bad line and rolled 3x down the hill. Walked away from the wreck just fine.

Moral of the story... pay attention.

Alternate moral of the story is that Jeeps are better suited to being flipped over than Iron Shiek's Lawn Mower.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• 3 weeks later...

I have to put my 2010 Wrangler in the collision shop because a kid, while texting, buried his car under the driver side rear (totaled his Malibu, minimal damage to the Jeep). I have a couple of questions. First, the guy at the shop (where I have done business with before and fully trust) said that the damages were mitigated because the kid hit right on the rear tow hook and the design of the hook is the strongest point on the vehicle and that he sees similar effects when vehicle hit right on trailer hitches. Any areas I should ask they look for hidden damages due to impact? They are already removing both rear tires and will check in and around them and are replacing the left rear 1/4 panel, bumper & muffler. I looked the door and spare over and I can't find anything wrong with it; except a tear on the wheel cover.

My second question pertains to the radio. I think its the basic stock radio, but the manual seems to state that I can sync it to my iPhone, but I get a message stating syncing is not available. Searching a few Jeep Forums I am getting conflicting messages. Some say its as simple as getting a firmware update at the shop, other say it takes a whole new radio. Any idea which it is or what I can check further to determine which it is from the radio itself. I am waiting on the shop to get the parts in and might as well get the radio done too.

• 3 months later...

Super Utility Victory. What other car lets you sit/lie down and chill on the roof checking out the view

With the T-Tops off, was just chillin at the beach and I saw the sad little pouty faces of 85k Mercedes SUV (sucky ugly and vain) driving guys as they look out and see how ####### awesome the Jeep is.

Wish my wife didn't hate it, because it's going to be hard not to have a Jeep available from here out. Ideally as a second car (used, by mine off lease, something).

PS - Anyone else camp out on the roof? Going to essentially grab that same spot (if I remember) for the next fireworks show. :thumbup: Put a yoga mat, wife and I and good to go.

Edited by Koya

Someone I've triathlon trained with recently posted a "free to a good home" for a Jeep bike rack. I was planning on buying one this summer anyway so I jumped at the chance. In the process, I asked why she had gotten rid of the Jeep Wrangler. She let me know she hadn't; rather she had broke the drive shaft, doesn't know if she wants to fix it and its sitting in her drive. I let her know we are sort of in the market for a late model Jeep as an extra car. Its a 2000, 4.0 manual with 195K on it. I totally trust what she has told me about it, that other than the drive shaft (and some need welding in and around it) the Jeep ran very well up to the time the shaft broke. She has kept up with oil changes, replaced the heater coil and battery in the last year, etc. I have a really good and inexpensive back yard mechanic they I am checking to see if he would take this on.

From what I have Googled up, a new OEM shaft costs less than $400 and used in various conditions are much less. Anyone care to give an estimate of what the Jeep is worth. I've seen photos and the rust is very limited to area around hinges and welds. I've seen later models around here on Craig's List in worse condition and without engines going for $500 to $750. I'm thinking if I can get it for around $1000 to $1,250 and put $1,500 to $2,000 in to it and if I get even 2 to 3 years out of it it's a win.

eta to clarify its a Wrangler

Edited by 2Young2BBald

I'm kicking around buying a Wrangler. I've always dug jeeps but never owned one. I don't think I would off road too much, but I just really like the way they look, and living in Phoenix would give me plenty of days to go topless. I drive an Infinity now but honestly I'm kind of tired of it and want something different.

It is a little confusing with all the different trims they have. Any thoughts or suggestions? I would probably buy new.

I'm kicking around buying a Wrangler. I've always dug jeeps but never owned one. I don't think I would off road too much, but I just really like the way they look, and living in Phoenix would give me plenty of days to go topless. I drive an Infinity now but honestly I'm kind of tired of it and want something different.

It is a little confusing with all the different trims they have. Any thoughts or suggestions? I would probably buy new.

MOST of the trim packs are cosmetic in nature. The one that offers a true functional upgrade is the Rubicon package (lockers, sturdier axles, lower transfer case and axle gearing, sway bar disconnects, etc). Rubicon package is highly desirable to off roaders and thus holds resale value better than other models, but also requires a significant up front expense.

Are you looking for 2 or 4 door model? Looking to lift it a bit or upgrade to more aggressive tires (even if for cosmetic reasons)?

Someone I've triathlon trained with recently posted a "free to a good home" for a Jeep bike rack. I was planning on buying one this summer anyway so I jumped at the chance. In the process, I asked why she had gotten rid of the Jeep Wrangler. She let me know she hadn't; rather she had broke the drive shaft, doesn't know if she wants to fix it and its sitting in her drive. I let her know we are sort of in the market for a late model Jeep as an extra car. Its a 2000, 4.0 manual with 195K on it. I totally trust what she has told me about it, that other than the drive shaft (and some need welding in and around it) the Jeep ran very well up to the time the shaft broke. She has kept up with oil changes, replaced the heater coil and battery in the last year, etc. I have a really good and inexpensive back yard mechanic they I am checking to see if he would take this on.

From what I have Googled up, a new OEM shaft costs less than $400 and used in various conditions are much less. Anyone care to give an estimate of what the Jeep is worth. I've seen photos and the rust is very limited to area around hinges and welds. I've seen later models around here on Craig's List in worse condition and without engines going for $500 to $750. I'm thinking if I can get it for around $1000 to $1,250 and put $1,500 to $2,000 in to it and if I get even 2 to 3 years out of it it's a win.

What broke on the drive shaft? Can be a simple as a 15 ujoint and a 50 balancing.

Super Utility Victory. What other car lets you sit/lie down and chill on the roof checking out the view

With the T-Tops off, was just chillin at the beach and I saw the sad little pouty faces of 85k Mercedes SUV (sucky ugly and vain) driving guys as they look out and see how ####### awesome the Jeep is.

Wish my wife didn't hate it, because it's going to be hard not to have a Jeep available from here out. Ideally as a second car (used, by mine off lease, something).

PS - Anyone else camp out on the roof? Going to essentially grab that same spot (if I remember) for the next fireworks show. :thumbup: Put a yoga mat, wife and I and good to go.

Looks like sasquatch took those pics. You are a hairy bastard.

;)

What broke on the drive shaft? Can be a simple as a 15 ujoint and a 50 balancing.

Not sure and trying to get more details. She did state it "went out" and did comment that she didn't think it would be all that expensive to fix. However, she also stated that the housing had some rust that would like need some welding repair as well for the repair to take. She had a blurry photo and it did appear rather rusted, but the rest of the underside was surprisingly rust free.

Looks like sasquatch took those pics. You are a hairy bastard.

;)

SASQUATCH HAPPY. (Well, I was when taking those pics. Less so here at the office a few days later)

• Like 1

MOST of the trim packs are cosmetic in nature. The one that offers a true functional upgrade is the Rubicon package (lockers, sturdier axles, lower transfer case and axle gearing, sway bar disconnects, etc). Rubicon package is highly desirable to off roaders and thus holds resale value better than other models, but also requires a significant up front expense.

Are you looking for 2 or 4 door model? Looking to lift it a bit or upgrade to more aggressive tires (even if for cosmetic reasons)?

Certainly some nice off-roading out West, but if you are looking for more of a daily drive, it's really what creature comforts you desire.

Prior to having my Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door, which, personally, I find a hundred times more useful than the two... you get everything the 2 door has, plus room for more people, more stuff, back seats are perfect height to load up groceries etc) I had an infiniti also. I ended up going with the Safari, leather seats, good stereo and connectivity package. Other than that, as noted, if you don't need major off roading (and any Jeep can handle off roading far better than just abiout any other vehicle our there) its what you want style wise and comfort wise.

I wouldn't mind lifting it a little. I think that looks cool. I really have no offroad experience but would like to give it a go.

The more I look at these the more I like them. I guess I should go give it a test drive and see what I think.

So you think there's really no reason to upgrade to the Rubicon unless I'm going to really go offroading? Or does it look better too?

Certainly some nice off-roading out West, but if you are looking for more of a daily drive, it's really what creature comforts you desire.

Prior to having my Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door, which, personally, I find a hundred times more useful than the two... you get everything the 2 door has, plus room for more people, more stuff, back seats are perfect height to load up groceries etc) I had an infiniti also. I ended up going with the Safari, leather seats, good stereo and connectivity package. Other than that, as noted, if you don't need major off roading (and any Jeep can handle off roading far better than just abiout any other vehicle our there) its what you want style wise and comfort wise.

Why is the Safari better than any of the others? Is that the one with leather seats? How do the leather seats hold up in the sun if the top is off?

Why is the Safari better than any of the others? Is that the one with leather seats? How do the leather seats hold up in the sun if the top is off?

Personally not a huge fan of the Sahara (not Safari), mainly because of the painted fenders. That's just personal preference. I can't speak to the leather seats, although the idea of leather seats in a Jeep always seemed kind of silly to me...probably because I constantly have the top off in the summer and can't see frying my legs every time I get in the car.

If you like the look of the Rubicon, but don't want to pay the extra money, you could look at the Willy's Wheeler Edition. Rock rails, same rims (just painted black), same BFG Mud Terrains. I just picked up a 2015 Willy's Unlimited a couple of months ago and LOVE it. It's my 3rd Jeep and favorite so far.

http://www.jeep.com/en/limited-editions/wrangler-willys-wheeler/

Personally not a huge fan of the Sahara (not Safari), mainly because of the painted fenders. That's just personal preference. I can't speak to the leather seats, although the idea of leather seats in a Jeep always seemed kind of silly to me...probably because I constantly have the top off in the summer and can't see frying my legs every time I get in the car.

If you like the look of the Rubicon, but don't want to pay the extra money, you could look at the Willy's Wheeler Edition. Rock rails, same rims (just painted black), same BFG Mud Terrains. I just picked up a 2015 Willy's Unlimited a couple of months ago and LOVE it. It's my 3rd Jeep and favorite so far.

That looks awesome.

Some weird things happening with my 2011 Grand Cherokee limited lately.

Electrical issues: turn signal indicator saying left read turn signal is out goes on. I check the turn signal and it is indeed not working. Then the indicator randomly goes off after I check the message a few times and the turn signal works fine.

Car unlocks on its own while I walk away and am not touching car or fob.

Car doesn't unlock on first several tries (normally) w fob or keyless.

How is insurance on these things? Any more or less than any other vehicle?

Insurance on my 04 TJ is stellar, but that's not a viable comparison to a new JK

That looks awesome.

That Willy's model is a fantastic starting point. Locking rear diff and rock rails immediately enhance off road capability to a level that anyone outside serious rock crawlers would need. Nice aesthetic enhancements as well.

Edited by [icon]

Some weird things happening with my 2011 Grand Cherokee limited lately.

Electrical issues: turn signal indicator saying left read turn signal is out goes on. I check the turn signal and it is indeed not working. Then the indicator randomly goes off after I check the message a few times and the turn signal works fine.

Car unlocks on its own while I walk away and am not touching car or fob.

Car doesn't unlock on first several tries (normally) w fob or keyless.

Low Hanging Fruit: Have the battery tested.... or swap in a known good battery to see if the problems go away. Voltage fluctuations are a VERY common cause of "gremlins" in all makes and models.

• 4 weeks later...

Paging icon:

GB, I have started to look for a fun late 1970's Bronco, and then I started seeing that there is a pretty expansive hobbyist network that not only loves and restores old Broncos, but also the old Jeep CJ5 and CJ7s. I started looking at those Jeeps, and they look pretty sweet, look like the can be had cheaper than the Broncos.

Do you know anything about these old Jeeps? Any good web resources for me to get educated?

The one thing I learned so far is the CJ7 is bigger than the CJ5, such that taller guys like myself may struggle to fit comfortably behind the wheel of a CJ5. Should I be looking at CJ7? Some other option?

Bottom line, I'm looking for a classic car as a toy, it will be garaged other than on some nice weekends in the summer, Spring, Fall, I want top off, doors off, local fun driving or a cruise down to the beach.

Thoughts?

TIA

Won't answer yours because I don't know #### about Jeeps

My kid has been begging me to allow him to PlastiDip the rims on my Jeep. He even had a buddy come over and show me the rims on a friends Jeep and it was actually impressive how good they looked. Not going to do it to mine, but it may be an inexpensive way to get what you need. Also, there are always stock rims for sale on Craigs List. Maybe you could find some cheap stock rim and PlastiDip those to have a couple sets.

eta, forgot to add the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs

Edited by 2Young2BBald

Paging icon:

GB, I have started to look for a fun late 1970's Bronco, and then I started seeing that there is a pretty expansive hobbyist network that not only loves and restores old Broncos, but also the old Jeep CJ5 and CJ7s. I started looking at those Jeeps, and they look pretty sweet, look like the can be had cheaper than the Broncos.

Do you know anything about these old Jeeps? Any good web resources for me to get educated?

The one thing I learned so far is the CJ7 is bigger than the CJ5, such that taller guys like myself may struggle to fit comfortably behind the wheel of a CJ5. Should I be looking at CJ7? Some other option?

Bottom line, I'm looking for a classic car as a toy, it will be garaged other than on some nice weekends in the summer, Spring, Fall, I want top off, doors off, local fun driving or a cruise down to the beach.

Thoughts?

TIA

Welcome GB

I would agree CJ5's are prob not the play.. very small. CJ7 is a solid option. The older engines are a bit of a PITA, especially when carbureted (vs newer fuel injected engines)... given your lack of mechanical acumen (not faulting you, I didn't know #### when I bought my jeep either), I would suggest a more modern rig. Especially when you factor in ride quality (stiff/crappy leaf sprung CJs, vs fairly plus quadra-coil on the TJs).

The basics:

CJ7: 1976-1986: The classic jeep. Rust and overall wear is concern. Lots will have swapped engine. Target Fuel Injected if possible.

YJ: 1987-1995: ####box with square headlights and leaf suspension. Avoid. Not a classic.

TJ: 1997-2006: Nice coil suspension, more modern interior but still rustic. 6cyl 4.0 engine very reliable. Target 2004-2006.

JK 2007+: Bigger & more posh. Less "classic" look. Started w/ weaker engine but 2012+ added better V6 engine. Pricey for 2nd car.

CJs in great shape are at the point they're holding value or maybe increasing, however they WILL require more work to keep running and likely will have some sort of rust issues, especially in the northeast. I would NOT purchase one without a professional doing extensive look-over.

TJ's are really the sweet spot right now. You can get a great 2004-2006 for $10-15k with reasonable mileage that will give you that classic jeep look with a much better ride, more comfortable amenities, easier to find accessories (and you WILL accessorize your jeep), and will generally be a more reliable vehicle without sacrificing any of the off road prowess (if you ever need it).

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not buy a 4 cylinder jeep. 6cyl or up.

Edited by [icon]

YJ: 1987-1995: ####box with square headlights and leaf suspension. Avoid. Not a classic.

I've never understood the hate towards the YJ's. Sure, the TJ's offer a lot of upgrades in the interior and suspension, etc., but the YJ's had upgrades over the "classic" CJ as well.

I had a YJ for 10+ years and loved it. It's as much a "Jeep" as any of the others.

I've never understood the hate towards the YJ's. Sure, the TJ's offer a lot of upgrades in the interior and suspension, etc., but the YJ's had upgrades over the "classic" CJ as well.

I had a YJ for 10+ years and loved it. It's as much a "Jeep" as any of the others.

Leaf sprung

Square headlights are not the classic "jeep" look .

Crappy transmission (3spd) if you want an auto

Ugly interior

I don't hate them per se...they can be a cheap platform to start a build on. However MANY folks simply can't get past the square headlights when they're looking for that classic wrangler/jeep ride. ####box comment was shtick mostly... that said, Otis isn't going to be rolling around in a YJ.

Edited by [icon]

Paging icon:

Thoughts?

TIA

Welcome GB

I would agree CJ5's are prob not the play.. very small. CJ7 is a solid option. The older engines are a bit of a PITA, especially when carbureted (vs newer fuel injected engines)... given your lack of mechanical acumen (not faulting you, I didn't know #### when I bought my jeep either), I would suggest a more modern rig. Especially when you factor in ride quality (stiff/crappy leaf sprung CJs, vs fairly plus quadra-coil on the TJs).

The basics:

CJ7: 1976-1986: The classic jeep. Rust and overall wear is concern. Lots will have swapped engine. Target Fuel Injected if possible.

TJ: 1997-2006: Nice coil suspension, more modern interior but still rustic. 6cyl 4.0 engine very reliable. Target 2004-2006.

JK 2007+: Bigger & more posh. Less "classic" look. Started w/ weaker engine but 2012+ added better V6 engine. Pricey for 2nd car.

CJs in great shape are at the point they're holding value or maybe increasing, however they WILL require more work to keep running and likely will have some sort of rust issues, especially in the northeast. I would NOT purchase one without a professional doing extensive look-over.

TJ's are really the sweet spot right now. You can get a great 2004-2006 for $10-15k with reasonable mileage that will give you that classic jeep look with a much better ride, more comfortable amenities, easier to find accessories (and you WILL accessorize your jeep), and will generally be a more reliable vehicle without sacrificing any of the off road prowess (if you ever need it).

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not buy a 4 cylinder jeep. 6cyl or up.

Thanks GB. Super helpful. 10-15k is a price range I can justify for this toy. 30k feels less justifiable. I may have to go this route.

Sounds like CJ7 or TJ are my options.

Leaf sprung

Square headlights are not the classic "jeep" look .

Crappy transmission (3spd) if you want an auto

Ugly interior

I don't hate them per se...they can be a cheap platform to start a build on. However MANY folks simply can't get past the square headlights when they're looking for that classic wrangler/jeep ride. ####box comment was shtick mostly... that said, Otis isn't going to be rolling around in a YJ.

The CJ had leaf springs. The CJ had the same crappy transmissions in OEM form, and the same hose-it-out interior. I don't understand why the YJ gets dinged for improvements done to the TJ, but those same features are ignored on a CJ.

I really think it's all about the square headlights. That's where the hate is. I guess what got me about that is that the "Jeep" look isn't even technically the headlights. It's the vertical grill design. That's the feature that is consistent across Jeeps.

Don't get me wrong...if I was Otis, I would look for a TJ or newer - but that's mainly b/c of the coil vs. leaf springs...I just never got the YJ hate.

Question for you jeep guys. I am in the market for a mid size SUV that I want to have 4wd capabilities if I am going up to the mountains in the snow or other very light off roading. It will be my typical commute vehicle so I do want xm, nav, and an overall comfortable ride.

Would want it to hold 5-7 passengers

What Jeep is best? I like boxier look compared to the grand Cherokee.

Also don't want 4 cylinder. 6 cylinder.

Edited by bagger

Question for you jeep guys. I am in the market for a mid size SUV that I want to have 4wd capabilities if I am going up to the mountains in the snow or other very light off roading. It will be my typical commute vehicle so I do want xm, nav, and an overall comfortable ride.

I think if you want anything more than 5 passengers, you have to get a no-longer-made Jeep Commander.

Otherwise, 5 is the max. The Patriot is probably the most boxy of the remaining Jeeps (aside from the Wrangler)..but I'm not sure it's big enough if you considered holding 7 people.

I've been considering a Grand Cherokee to replace my current SUV in a few years, but the lack of 7-passenger capability is a big minus.

I think if you want anything more than 5 passengers, you have to get a no-longer-made Jeep Commander.

Otherwise, 5 is the max. The Patriot is probably the most boxy of the remaining Jeeps (aside from the Wrangler)..but I'm not sure it's big enough if you considered holding 7 people.

I've been considering a Grand Cherokee to replace my current SUV in a few years, but the lack of 7-passenger capability is a big minus.

You can add a third row to a Wrangler Unlimited to get to 7 passengers. Its snug, but can be done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhdPapHyxQ My brother in law lives out west and is thinking about going this route to get up into the mountains with the family versus the Suburban he currently has.

You can add a third row to a Wrangler Unlimited to get to 7 passengers. Its snug, but can be done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhdPapHyxQ My brother in law lives out west and is thinking about going this route to get up into the mountains with the family versus the Suburban he currently has.

Wow that is awesome. The main concern is lack of seatbelts.

Looks like they can come with the seat belts built into the seats AND have the seats installed rear facing (like and old school Vista Cruiser) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/third-row-seat-installed-591328/

Looks like they can come with the seat belts built into the seats AND have the seats installed rear facing (like and old school Vista Cruiser) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/third-row-seat-installed-591328/

Good discussion in that thread about the danger of it. If there was a kit from Jeep I'd do it....until then no thanks.

I actually don't think the YJs look terrible, but maybe that's because I'm just not a Jeepnerd yet.

I especially like all the CJs that have these chrome grills, nice look:

http://www.accurateadjustments.com/albums2/Shanes93YJ/100_0752.jpg

If you were to tell me I could save 5 grand on one with the square headlights because the Jeepnerds don't think those are real Jeeps, I'd pounce on one in a second. It's like being at a party and all the guys saying "man that skinny chick with a great body has all boobs" -- is be delighted to not have to compete for the hot chick.

Thanks GB. Super helpful. 10-15k is a price range I can justify for this toy. 30k feels less justifiable. I may have to go this route.

yep. As stated here, CJ may make you feel nostalgic in that you're getting a "real" jeep..... but definitely take a few for a ride before you commit. Leaf springs, short wheelbase, and solid axles will beat you up a bit on the road.

There are few things more fun, vehicle-wise, than driving a topless/doorless jeep around on a nice day.

I actually don't think the YJs look terrible, but maybe that's because I'm just not a Jeepnerd yet.

If you were to tell me I could save 5 grand on one with the square headlights because the Jeepnerds don't think those are real Jeeps, I'd pounce on one in a second. It's like being at a party and all the guys saying "man that skinny chick with a great body has all boobs" -- is be delighted to not have to compete for the hot chick.

This was my old YJ. I had a 2.5" lift on it, and 32" tires. I actually liked the stock rims, so I went with the biggest tire I could fit on them. It was tall enough to look aggressive, but still did pretty well on-road.

I've had some decent cars over the years, but none of them got as many comments as my old Jeep.

yep. As stated here, CJ may make you feel nostalgic in that you're getting a "real" jeep..... but definitely take a few for a ride before you commit. Leaf springs, short wheelbase, and solid axles will beat you up a bit on the road.

There are few things more fun, vehicle-wise, than driving a topless/doorless jeep around on a nice day.

The other thing about CJs is you really don't want to lift them much. A very narrow stance makes them feel less stable when you do.

Comparing CJ/YJ... they're similar for sure. YJ's are a bit wider. Comparable suspension and engines. Later YJs had factor Fuel injection which is nice. They're both definitely older designs that will lack the creature comforts and ride quality that the TJ's have.

Yes, the square headlights play a large part of it. With a lot of folks in the jeep community, it's like being that kid who showed up for the first day of school in a "Pola" shirt with a guy riding a horse holding a fishing pole embroidered on the chest. You may think it's the same thing, but some folks will be snickering and pointing fingers.

Me... I don't like em. Square headlights are a fair chunk of it. I'm FAR from alone on that.... but as long as you're out on the road and using it, have fun!

This was my old YJ. I had a 2.5" lift on it, and 32" tires. I actually liked the stock rims, so I went with the biggest tire I could fit on them. It was tall enough to look aggressive, but still did pretty well on-road.

I've had some decent cars over the years, but none of them got as many comments as my old Jeep.

Sharp rig! :thumbup:

Agreed that's a great stance for a Daily Driver that is still capable enough to go most normal places.

Edited by [icon]