What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

This was my old YJ. I had a 2.5" lift on it, and 32" tires. I actually liked the stock rims, so I went with the biggest tire I could fit on them. It was tall enough to look aggressive, but still did pretty well on-road.

I've had some decent cars over the years, but none of them got as many comments as my old Jeep.
Sharp rig! :thumbup:

Agreed that's a great stance for a Daily Driver that is still capable enough to go most normal places.
Super nice.

Thanks guys.

[icon] - Totally hear you re. the hate. I know you're not alone. Everybody's got their own tastes. I just never got it...but whatever.

One of the best things about Jeeps is you can customize them in so many ways and make it your own no matter which one you have.

Why do dudes doing restores on all these jeeps/Broncos strap fire extinguishers to the roll cage? Are these like pintos that regularly catch fire? I've never seen another car equipped with a fire extinguisher.

I will say, I hate all the plasticky interior on the TJs. The CJ interiors are so much cooler and more classic.

Otis said:
Why do dudes doing restores on all these jeeps/Broncos strap fire extinguishers to the roll cage? Are these like pintos that regularly catch fire? I've never seen another car equipped with a fire extinguisher.
If you use a vehicle off road, there's a chance of rolling it over. If a vehicle rolls over, there's a chance that leaking oil or fuel may catch fire. It's generally considered safe practice to keep a fire extinguisher as well as first aid kit and recovery strap in any off road vehicle.

Otis said:
I will say, I hate all the plasticky interior on the TJs. The CJ interiors are so much cooler and more classic.
I'll be frank about it... if you buy a CJ (or any other 35-40 year old vehicle), barring getting very lucky i would budget spending $1-3k a year keeping it running.

Otis said:
Not bad... 144k is fairly high mileage but not too bad for a 2nd vehicle.

I'd have a mechanic do a compression test on the engine as well as inspect the exhaust manifold (known issue on the inline 6) and check the head for any warping or gasket issues. My 6cyl is losing compression on a couple cylinders and is now dealing with some stuck lifters at ~140k miles... I'm debating a rebuild or a swap. Many 6cyl will run 200k+ without issue.

While you're at it, if you're looking to beat someone up on price, look for the rear main seal to leak (at the engine/transmission junction) and use that as a bargaining chip... most every jeep's rear main seal will leak at some point. It's a job that will run you $3-600 depending on where you have it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
While I can't disagree with you, I will say the first (and only) new vihicle I bought when I first started working was a '99 TJ. I had to trade that in for a minivan (I still get mileage from my wife on that) because the read facing car seats wouldn't fit in the back. Anyway, my point is I loved that vehicle. Yes, the interior wasn't classic, and it wasn't as nice as the new ones, they are a nice bridge though. The classics, as Icon says, are tough to maintain. The newer ones feel more like a passenger car on the inside with how nice the interiors are. The TJs are a nice blend, in my very amateur opinion.

Otis I had a 99 Sahara TJ with 50k miles if I remember correctly. It had about 10k in add ins, winch tires, lockers, etc, etc. I sold it for 10k. There are much better deals out there.

Rhino lining sucks because the first time it gets dirty or muddy it will never get out of all the crevices. Of course,not sure how dirty it will get from the bottom of your florshems between whole foods and barns and noble.. ;)

Loved the flat fenders.

Ok Otis. Thread picked.

Here is one down the road from you. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/jeep/cj7/1757286.html
Ugh @ 3" body lift and thornbirds... But that is sharp overall!
Lol I saw the same thing, but he's not taking it off road.

Thornturds......

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Jeep-CJ7-d1549#listing=118909509

I hate the diamond plate but here is another. I would paint the diamond paint black or take it off but then it probably has rivet holes if it's not rusted through.

Looks like the seat is folded up. They tumble up to make a small bed. Ferrari sticker sucks. The body lift is no good as over time they can wear on your body, the tires are notoriously bad off road tires but meh. The steps are hideous to me. I would put more of a rock rail like on my CJ pick but other than that looks decent.

I spent much of the day looking online and it's funny that you're finding s lot of the same ones I already looked at. Please keep going though. Pretend you have license to buy one of these for me and I'm handing you 10k. Pick me a good one.

Looks like the seat is folded up. They tumble up to make a small bed. Ferrari sticker sucks. The body lift is no good as over time they can wear on your body, the tires are notoriously bad off road tires but meh. The steps are hideous to me. I would put more of a rock rail like on my CJ pick but other than that looks decent.
The lift looks awesome. The body won't get all that much stress on the 20 days I take it out per year on smooth yuppie suburban pavement.

Lol. Hell with you I am shopping for me now, lol.

I will keep my eyes open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think I want a manual, though I literally haven't driven one in a good 15 years.....

This is perfect. Exactly what I am looking for. He's asking 8500 which means maybe I can get if for 6500 or hell even less as an all cash buyer. Could eventually do some upgrades to really do it up, but it seems like it doesn't need a thing immediately.

This is just an hour drive from my house at most....
:thumbup: That's a pretty sweet ride. I agree - It's got the cool factor now, with room to grow. GL if you try to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread