Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep

I've found three not too far away all the black ones with specs I want (i.e,. power technologies that have been available since 1980).

These two look nice:

http://www.smithhaven.com/used/2014-jeep-wrangler_unlimited-altitude-u26699/

http://www.smithhaven.com/used/2010-jeep-wrangler_unlimited-sahara-u26789/ (I recognize this second one is a 2010, which according to icon means the engine is less good, but at $26k I sure do prefer the price).

How do we feel about the gold on this one? I can't tell if I hate it or love it. I certainly will kill that stupid dragon thing on the back:

http://www.smithhaven.com/used/2014-jeep-wrangler_unlimited-dragon_edition-u26423/

The gold is AWFUL

Stupid question: what does the Rubicon trim add, and is it worth the extra loot?

Rubicon ads a lot of true off road functionality....

- steeper gearing in axles

- 4:1 gear reduction in transfer case in 4lo (slower crawl rate)

- sway bar disconnects for improved articulation

- selectable lockers in axles for improved traction

- more robust Dana 44 axles

For later models, in general, does Rubicon = better reliability over the long term; or more stuff that can go wrong (or does it even matter)? I am trying to set up a time to take a look at a 2003 Rubicon with 104,XXX miles on it. And an observation, Jeep sellers on Craigslist are TERRIBLE about getting back with potential buyers. AND, once you do get in contact with them, they suddenly don't want to part with their Jeep. I had one guy stand me up and another tell me that they changed their mind and wanted triple what they originally asked.

The added items listed above are generally very robust and aren't something that can "go wrong". That said, there's nothing that would necessarily make for "better reliability" overall for the vehicle. They add functionality that is very much appreciated when riding on more difficult off road terrain. As stated by Lumpy, it does offer a significant boost to resale value/desirability, however.

:thanks: Doing some research through KBB, the Rubicons appear to price out between 17% and 21% higher than the more standard versions with the same specs. In the case of the one I am looking at it equates to about a $1,500 bump in price.

And an observation, Jeep sellers on Craigslist are TERRIBLE about getting back with potential buyers. AND, once you do get in contact with them, they suddenly don't want to part with their Jeep. I had one guy stand me up and another tell me that they changed their mind and wanted triple what they originally asked.

Whoa, someone actually responded, going to take a look at this tonight: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5156724635.html

If you are not going to go off-road often and I mean in mud and up rocks you do not need a Rubi. A Regular Jeep will do just fine with semi aggressive tires.

A Rubicon will do things easier and allow you to go a bit more extreme off road.

The off-roading I do is definitely mild (in fact, I am heading "up north" (a Michigan thing) tomorrow and will have free reign on a private game clubs 700+ acres for a few days). My thought with the Rubicon is, if I have to spend a little more than a sport now, I just might get it back (by percentage) if I go to sell in a few years. I plan on keeping the 2010 and the new (older) one would be a 4th car as we have 4 drivers in the household and often times this summer its seems I've been the one wanting to go somewhere only to find zero cars in the drive as my wife and both kids work too.

Otis, how about a friendly $25 PayPal wager on who pulls the trigger first? I think we are both on the verge. Let's do this!

I'm still waffling. That one above not having power windows is frustrating. Trying to decide how big or small a headache that will be. Then again if the idea is to drive this in nice days and take off the top and put down the windows all the way (and maybe take off the doors in the front at least), then maybe it's not a big deal.

You started out looking at 30 year old jeeps and have moved into waffling on purchasing because they don't have power windows? Well played.

Also lots of jeeps have power windows, 10 years ago not so much but in 2015 pretty easy to find a jeep with power windows.

This started out as a third car/a toy, and has morphed into replacing our second car and need to get kids around in it more frequently. It also started out being about spending 10-15k on a classic, and now we are talking about spending three times that on something brand new. For that, at least give me power windows. I haven't driven or been inside a car without power windows since I was like 6 years old....

For NY, no chance unless there is a hard top involved. I don't think i would want that as a daily driver....

And an observation, Jeep sellers on Craigslist are TERRIBLE about getting back with potential buyers. AND, once you do get in contact with them, they suddenly don't want to part with their Jeep. I had one guy stand me up and another tell me that they changed their mind and wanted triple what they originally asked.

Whoa, someone actually responded, going to take a look at this tonight: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5156724635.html

And the seller texted tonight is off. :doh:

Edited by 2Young2BBald

Personally HATE the gold trim, but different strokes and all that :)

I don't like it in a way the nerd who obviously did it intended. It's pretty #### for that reason. But it's sort of cool in that Smokey and the Bandit black Trans Am with the gold bird on the hood. :thumbup:

Otis, how about a friendly $25 PayPal wager on who pulls the trigger first? I think we are both on the verge. Let's do this!

I'm still waffling. That one above not having power windows is frustrating. Trying to decide how big or small a headache that will be. Then again if the idea is to drive this in nice days and take off the top and put down the windows all the way (and maybe take off the doors in the front at least), then maybe it's not a big deal.

You started out looking at 30 year old jeeps and have moved into waffling on purchasing because they don't have power windows? Well played.

Also lots of jeeps have power windows, 10 years ago not so much but in 2015 pretty easy to find a jeep with power windows.

This started out as a third car/a toy, and has morphed into replacing our second car and need to get kids around in it more frequently. It also started out being about spending 10-15k on a classic, and now we are talking about spending three times that on something brand new. For that, at least give me power windows. I haven't driven or been inside a car without power windows since I was like 6 years old....

For NY, no chance unless there is a hard top involved. I don't think i would want that as a daily driver....

It's not a daily driver. It's a second car. We use it only on weekends or rare occasions. And yes, a hard top is a good idea, in case I have to take it out in crappy weather.

If you are not going to go off-road often and I mean in mud and up rocks you do not need a Rubi. A Regular Jeep will do just fine with semi aggressive tires.

A Rubicon will do things easier and allow you to go a bit more extreme off road.

The off-roading I do is definitely mild (in fact, I am heading "up north" (a Michigan thing) tomorrow and will have free reign on a private game clubs 700+ acres for a few days). My thought with the Rubicon is, if I have to spend a little more than a sport now, I just might get it back (by percentage) if I go to sell in a few years. I plan on keeping the 2010 and the new (older) one would be a 4th car as we have 4 drivers in the household and often times this summer its seems I've been the one wanting to go somewhere only to find zero cars in the drive as my wife and both kids work too.

Resale value should be better. The upgrades are very nice to have if you plan on wheeling it. To do the Rubicon stuff aftermarket would be much more.

Think of it like this.

2wd = gravel road, dirt roads, fields.

4wd hi = small holes, small rocks, small climbs

4wd lo = extra grunt for those rocks, holes, climbs,

Rubicon = extra, extra grunt

Of course this is all limited by your center of gravity, approach / departure angles, tire type, etc.

Holy crap. I figured this was some bad aftermarket job. This is actually a factory package from Jeep called the Dragon Edition.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jeep/2014-jeep-wrangler-dragon-edition-ar160326.html

This looks like it could be good value because nobody will want it. I wonder if I can buy it on the cheap and remove the dragon decals. Otherwise I'm not sure I could deal with driving around with the dragons all the time. Maybe as a younger, singler man. But an overweight middle-aged dad of two?

Then again, hell, maybe that's exactly why I could pull it off. Maybe that will be my schtick. I'll be known as dragon guy in the neighborhood.

Otis: Trending

Holy crap. I figured this was some bad aftermarket job. This is actually a factory package from Jeep called the Dragon Edition.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jeep/2014-jeep-wrangler-dragon-edition-ar160326.html

This looks like it could be good value because nobody will want it. I wonder if I can buy it on the cheap and remove the dragon decals. Otherwise I'm not sure I could deal with driving around with the dragons all the time. Maybe as a younger, singler man. But an overweight middle-aged dad of two?

Then again, hell, maybe that's exactly why I could pull it off. Maybe that will be my schtick. I'll be known as dragon guy in the neighborhood.

Forget the dragon I want this one http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/jeep/2015-jeep-staff-car-ar168312.html

Forget the dragon I want this one http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/jeep/2015-jeep-staff-car-ar168312.html

That is awesome.

That is awesome.

Wonder if it could take getting the living #### beat out of it just like the one I did in the Army.

Otis losing steam here.... will he make the purchase or move back to muscle cars? :popcorn:

Otis seems like a good dude but no way he is getting a jeep anytime soon. He dreams of his next car like I did when I was 16. Changes his mind as soon as something else catches his eye. All in the hopes of recapturing his youth.

I'm at the dealer now. Just drove a Rocky Ridge Phantom Edition in Tank color. Love it. He got me my appraisal and is working on pricing. Going to look into my BIL's friends and family preferred pricing which supposedly could save me thousands. But I'm pretty far down the road here. All on a whim....

Thing is awesome. It's huge.

Giving credit card info....

Glad we didn't make that bet...

I'm torn.

Told him not to run the deposit until I call him in the morning. Needed to come home and discuss with Mrs O first. She had no idea I was even going to the dealer...

She's on board with me doing whatever I want, but thinks these Rocky Ridge editions are a bit absurd and thinks I will regret it. She suggests I just get a new all black Sahara, maybe with the altitude package.

I'm torn. I'd love to get a new black one and lift it and put on the big wheels, but that's going to cost a few thousand bucks I assume and approach the cost of this one anyway.

She thinks the Rocky Ridge decals on the windshield are a little ridiculous. I can't argue with that. I assume I can remove those easily enough (or have the dealer do that?)

Sharp...

Yes decals are easily scraped off with razor/utility knife.

Rough pricing:

5 new 35-37" tires mounted: $1500-2000

5 new wheels (if you wanted): $750-2000

Basic spacer lift installed: $500-600ish

3.5" rubicon express lift w fox shocks like stealth, installed: $2500ish

Proper front bumper installed: $400-800

8k pound winch with synthetic line: $500-1200

Edited by [icon]

Sharp...

Yes decals are easily scraped off with razor/utility knife.

Rough pricing:

5 new 35-37" tires mounted: $1500-2000

5 new wheels (if you wanted): $750-2000

Basic spacer lift installed: $500-600ish

3.5" rubicon express lift w fox shocks like stealth, installed: $2500ish

Proper front bumper installed: $400-800

8k pound winch with synthetic line: $500-1200

The Rocky Ridge package is running me almost $13k. Looks like the above runs me around $10k. Probably more around these parts. So I'm probably just better off getting the package....

Oh man. Decisions, decisions...

The suspension on that isn't as good as the one quoted above. ProComp isn't bad stuff but it's not as good as rubicon express. I'm guessing the shocks are procomp too which is a huge step down from fox. Again, not bad, but about on par with stock. Just FYI.

My PERSONAL VOTE: if you have a 4wheel parts or reputable off-road shop nearby that can do the work, I would buy the factory one and have them add the lift/wheels/tires/winch/bumper. Could get better gear for $14k IMO.

These guys get good reviews on pirate 4x4 which is about as good as it gets:

http://tntmonstertruck.com/

Edited by [icon]

The suspension on that isn't as good as the one quoted above. ProComp isn't bad stuff but it's not as good as rubicon express. I'm guessing the shocks are procomp too which is a huge step down from fox. Again, not bad, but about on par with stock. Just FYI.

My PERSONAL VOTE: if you have a 4wheel parts or reputable off-road shop nearby that can do the work, I would buy the factory one and have them add the lift/wheels/tires/winch/bumper. Could get better gear for $14k IMO.

They are fox shocks on all these Rocky Ridge. I saw them while I was there.

They are fox shocks on all these Rocky Ridge. I saw them while I was there.

Gotcha... Okay that's good. Procomp isn't quite as good as the rubicon express but not the end of the world for your purposes. Make sure it's a complete kit (ie upper/lower arms, new track bars (not relocation brackets), etc.

You could do a lot worse!

Try to hit bump on freeway at 40-50mph... Just drive aroun at 45-65 if possible and feel for any shimmy/oscillation in steering or bumpsteer (can indicate improper steering setup)

I could put together a great set of gear to build out a new JK to look as good or better than that rig for $5-7 range plus install labor.

Hmmmm. Now this is interesting.

I'll get some stuff together in the AM. I would make sure you have 4.11 gears in the axles if you're going to be running 35-37" tires. Will make a dramatic difference in driveability (not sluggish)

Thanks for this link GB. Maybe you're right on this. I actually like the Saharas better than the Sport anyway. So maybe I'll pick up a stock Sahara and then send it over to this guy for the wheels/ilft/winch.

Much appreciated.

Thanks for this link GB. Maybe you're right on this. I actually like the Saharas better than the Sport anyway. So maybe I'll pick up a stock Sahara and then send it over to this guy for the wheels/ilft/winch.

Much appreciated.

Stop ####### around with sports and Saharas....at this price point get the Rubicon

Much appreciated.

Stop ####### around with sports and Saharas....at this price point get the Rubicon

Seems overkill for my uses. I'm gonna pay another 5 grand for gear ratios and axles. At least the big wheels and other things give me big ride height and make me feel invincible.