What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (2 Viewers)

Yep... having seen pics of your old rigs in action, you're a guy who's going to actually put a heep through it's paces pretty good. Mostly street with occasional field ride can probably get by on 37s/D44 combo... I'm guessing you'd be on borrowed time right out of the gate, until you dropped in alloys at least.

I blew my D30 front end 2-3x each side before getting alloys. No issues since. Never a peep out of my D44 in back with alloys. Thankfully I've never grenaded a diff.
Ohh she would get wheeled. I wouldn't have a hauler so it would be a DD and have to make it back from a trail. I am looking for a rig that I can drive to Moab and back.

I'm pleased to introduce The Tank!

http://imgur.com/a/D8Frg

Tons of fun. Got the front roof off so far, was so nice driving around without it tonight. Tomorrow may try to remove the whole roof and garage it. I understand that's a two man job.

Thereafter would like to take the doors off, but I can't see my wife being cool with that with the girls in back, so going to look for some half doors/webbed doors/Etc

Lots of reading to do. But so far, fun as heck. Looking forward to getting out on some light trails with my girls on a weekend.

By the way, icon is an amazing resource. Guy tokes above and beyond with info and support on this Jeep stuff. Lucky to have him here. Thanks GB.

Tons of fun. Got the front roof off so far, was so nice driving around without it tonight. Tomorrow may try to remove the whole roof and garage it. I understand that's a two man job.

Thereafter would like to take the doors off, but I can't see my wife being cool with that with the girls in back, so going to look for some half doors/webbed doors/Etc

Lots of reading to do. But so far, fun as heck. Looking forward to getting out on some light trails with my girls on a weekend.

By the way, icon is an amazing resource. Guy tokes above and beyond with info and support on this Jeep stuff. Lucky to have him here. Thanks GB.
The Oat man is older than I thought. Congrats, Pops.ETA: That is one bad ### mouthha####ing jeep. Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Oat man is older than I thought. Congrats, Pops.ETA: That is one bad ### mouthha####ing jeep. Well done.
Thanks. That's my old man. A good dude.

Beautiftul! Nice work, mi amigo!

Now let's go get these bad boys dirty!

Very nice. Congratulations.

Quadratec, 4 wheel parts for the doors. I never ran with doors on so I am not too familiar with them. I guess with kids now I need to learn.

I built this one for my 2008 Sahara Unlimited hard top. Still using it for my new 2015 Willys Unlimited. Works perfectly. My only regret is not spending a few bucks more on the winch. I bought a cheap hand crank at Harbor Freight and I should have spent the extra $30-40 for a power one. I say I'm going to replace it every year, but never get around to it.

I did not build the shelf though. I just hook the T-bar to the ceiling with 3 chains and carabiners and leave it hanging all summer.

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/hardtop-hoist-storage-write-up-5559/

Last edited by a moderator:
I built this one for my 2008 Sahara Unlimited hard top. Still using it for my new 2015 Willys Unlimited. Works perfectly. My only regret is not spending a few bucks more on the winch. I bought a cheap hand crank at Harbor Freight and I should have spent the extra $30-40 for a power one. I say I'm going to replace it every year, but never get around to it.

I did not build the shelf though. I just hook the T-bar to the ceiling with 3 chains and carabiners and leave it hanging all summer.

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/hardtop-hoist-storage-write-up-5559/
Very nice. Too complicated for my simple mind. Is there something I can buy and hire someone to install?

Very nice. Too complicated for my simple mind. Is there something I can buy and hire someone to install?
Definitely...

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Jeep+Hardtop+Hoists/228/index.htm

I just spent like a billion dollars on Amazon on all sorts of tactical looking crap for my rollbar, none of which will ever be used. Ok maybe the flashlight.

Use the Racor myself but that looks nice. I actually prefer the hand crank with the Racor vs. the drill adapter. 2015 Willys Unlimited here as well.

kutta and others, what are you doing about tops?

Mine came with hard top only. Reality is I prefer the look of the hard top to any soft top. But, I also bought this primarily as a fun weekend open-air cruiser. Taking off the freedom panels was nice this weekend, but I think I'd like to take off the top entirely and switch to a soft top. (I would go no top at all, except, I almost learned the hard way already yesterday that storms can roll in here unexpectedly in summer, and I'd rather not be caught without a top in a storm, or otherwise have to worry about constantly planning for weather).

I prefer the look of the fast back soft tops, I'm going to look at something like this: http://www.californiatops.com/fastback.html

One annoying thing about this process -- it looks like a PIA to order some of these soft tops (at lease the Bestop ones require you to figure out what additional bars or parts you need -- you can't just buy the soft top and have it come with the parts you need).

One other question: should I just sell my hard top? I don't envision driving much in winter, and even if I do in a pinch, these soft tops are all weather right? I just have a feeling that once I get the hard top off it will largely sit in my garage for all eternity taking up space (and the fact that it requires me to call my BIL over to help get it off makes it particularly annoying to take it off/on). Will I one day regret selling the hard top? If I regret it that much, I can just buy a new one I suppose.

Just looking for thoughts on the top issue from guys who have had both tops for extended periods. Are the upsides of a hard top (less wind, better protection from the elements) worth just sucking it up and leaving the hard top on year round, and taking off the freedom panels to at least get some sun for me and the Mrs??

Almost to many options here....

Stupid question maybe -- has anyone ever retrofitted parking sensors on these things? It's a convenience I got so used to with other cars in recent years, in part because it makes parking in tight spots a breeze, but my bigger concern is an accident with children, my absolute worst nightmare in life. I'm riding up high in this thing and visibility is limited with the tire on back.

icon, question: is that wranglerforum the best one to be on? I registered today, but there are like a billion Jeep forums. Just want to make sure I'm getting invested in the right one (it's like when I first started playing fantasy football and spent my first two years at the Huddle...)

Mine came with hard top only. Reality is I prefer the look of the hard top to any soft top. But, I also bought this primarily as a fun weekend open-air cruiser. Taking off the freedom panels was nice this weekend, but I think I'd like to take off the top entirely and switch to a soft top. (I would go no top at all, except, I almost learned the hard way already yesterday that storms can roll in here unexpectedly in summer, and I'd rather not be caught without a top in a storm, or otherwise have to worry about constantly planning for weather).

I prefer the look of the fast back soft tops, I'm going to look at something like this: http://www.californiatops.com/fastback.html

One annoying thing about this process -- it looks like a PIA to order some of these soft tops (at lease the Bestop ones require you to figure out what additional bars or parts you need -- you can't just buy the soft top and have it come with the parts you need).

One other question: should I just sell my hard top? I don't envision driving much in winter, and even if I do in a pinch, these soft tops are all weather right? I just have a feeling that once I get the hard top off it will largely sit in my garage for all eternity taking up space (and the fact that it requires me to call my BIL over to help get it off makes it particularly annoying to take it off/on). Will I one day regret selling the hard top? If I regret it that much, I can just buy a new one I suppose.

Just looking for thoughts on the top issue from guys who have had both tops for extended periods. Are the upsides of a hard top (less wind, better protection from the elements) worth just sucking it up and leaving the hard top on year round, and taking off the freedom panels to at least get some sun for me and the Mrs??

Get your preferred soft top and keep the hard top for the first year. If you don't use it, sell the hard top. The newer soft tops are pretty amazing with regards to wind noise, the older ones were loud as hell.

I'm guessing since your plan is to use this as a summer vehicle(which is crazy because they're awesome in the snow) that you won't need the hard top.

Get your preferred soft top and keep the hard top for the first year. If you don't use it, sell the hard top. The newer soft tops are pretty amazing with regards to wind noise, the older ones were loud as hell.

I'm guessing since your plan is to use this as a summer vehicle(which is crazy because they're awesome in the snow) that you won't need the hard top.
I don't drive daily. I walk to the train. And on the weekends usually the whole family is together (in our Yukon Denali, also solid in snow). But on occasion I can see bringing it out in the snow on a weekend, just for kicks if nothing else.

I would keep the hard top. Did you see some of the lifts posted earlier? Should make removing the top a 1 person job, but I don't know how much space you have overhead in your garage.
Unfortunately, old house and smallish garage. I'm not even certain I can fit the Jeep in the garage at this point given the low clearance and the beefy bumper and tire make it longer. Will require some reorganizing in the garage to make it happen. I'm considering throwing on a car cover. (Actually, I suppose if I got a good cover, I could leave the top off year round and just throw on the cover whenever I'm not driving it.....)

I would keep the hard top. Did you see some of the lifts posted earlier? Should make removing the top a 1 person job, but I don't know how much space you have overhead in your garage.
Unfortunately, old house and smallish garage. I'm not even certain I can fit the Jeep in the garage at this point given the low clearance and the beefy bumper and tire make it longer. Will require some reorganizing in the garage to make it happen. I'm considering throwing on a car cover. (Actually, I suppose if I got a good cover, I could leave the top off year round and just throw on the cover whenever I'm not driving it.....)
This is a great alternative if you want to leave the doors and hardtop off or just the hardtop but still have a cover that goes on quick or for parking outside of the garage. Goes on way quicker than any soft top and easy to store. Only downside is you can't drive with it on. We leave the top/doors off most weekends and carry this with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-81041-09-Charcoal-Wrangler-Unlimited/dp/B000VL9WTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818239&sr=1-2&keywords=trail+cover+jk

I find the hardtop easier to deal with than the soft top but I also have a big garage. I also don't like the roll up window int he back on a soft top...makes accessing the back area more of a challenge.

If I were going to go soft top I think the Bestop Pro Hybrid would probably be my choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-54853-17-Trektop-Hybrid-Unlimited/dp/B00OWS4J6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818438&sr=1-1&keywords=bestop+pro

This is a great alternative if you want to leave the doors and hardtop off or just the hardtop but still have a cover that goes on quick or for parking outside of the garage. Goes on way quicker than any soft top and easy to store. Only downside is you can't drive with it on. We leave the top/doors off most weekends and carry this with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-81041-09-Charcoal-Wrangler-Unlimited/dp/B000VL9WTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818239&sr=1-2&keywords=trail+cover+jk

I find the hardtop easier to deal with than the soft top but I also have a big garage. I also don't like the roll up window int he back on a soft top...makes accessing the back area more of a challenge.

If I were going to go soft top I think the Bestop Pro Hybrid would probably be my choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-54853-17-Trektop-Hybrid-Unlimited/dp/B00OWS4J6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818438&sr=1-1&keywords=bestop+pro
That hybrid top is awesome, hadn't seen that before. Agreed on the back soft window, it sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread