What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

lumpy19 said:
Ron Swanson said:
Otis said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
I would keep the hard top. Did you see some of the lifts posted earlier? Should make removing the top a 1 person job, but I don't know how much space you have overhead in your garage.
Unfortunately, old house and smallish garage. I'm not even certain I can fit the Jeep in the garage at this point given the low clearance and the beefy bumper and tire make it longer. Will require some reorganizing in the garage to make it happen. I'm considering throwing on a car cover. (Actually, I suppose if I got a good cover, I could leave the top off year round and just throw on the cover whenever I'm not driving it.....)
This is a great alternative if you want to leave the doors and hardtop off or just the hardtop but still have a cover that goes on quick or for parking outside of the garage. Goes on way quicker than any soft top and easy to store. Only downside is you can't drive with it on. We leave the top/doors off most weekends and carry this with us. http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-81041-09-Charcoal-Wrangler-Unlimited/dp/B000VL9WTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818239&sr=1-2&keywords=trail+cover+jk

I find the hardtop easier to deal with than the soft top but I also have a big garage. I also don't like the roll up window int he back on a soft top...makes accessing the back area more of a challenge.

If I were going to go soft top I think the Bestop Pro Hybrid would probably be my choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-54853-17-Trektop-Hybrid-Unlimited/dp/B00OWS4J6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439818438&sr=1-1&keywords=bestop+pro
That hybrid top is awesome, hadn't seen that before. Agreed on the back soft window, it sucks.
That hybrid does look awesome. I think I will pull the trigger on it. Thanks!

Soft tops will wear down and need replacement ever so often. Not sure about the newer tops but maybe after 5 years depending how often it goes up and down. I would keep the hard top personally. Ask the dealer to get you a top at cost and see how that goes?

Your model Jeep is a JK. I think this is the hot forum right now.

http://www.jk-forum.com

Of course they all have JK sections.

Pirate 4x4 is a good one however more off road crawler geared. It actually how I found FBG. Someone posted the blue onion thread there.

Jeeps unlimited, jeep forum are good ones. Also look for a local one as I am sure there is a local club. Those guys will become invaluable if you have questions and someone can help you put eyes on it, I.e. Install a soft top.

lumpy19 said:
Ron Swanson said:
That hybrid top is awesome, hadn't seen that before. Agreed on the back soft window, it sucks.
That hybrid does look awesome. I think I will pull the trigger on it. Thanks!
Yeah that's pretty damn slick!

Otis said:
Stupid question maybe -- has anyone ever retrofitted parking sensors on these things? It's a convenience I got so used to with other cars in recent years, in part because it makes parking in tight spots a breeze, but my bigger concern is an accident with children, my absolute worst nightmare in life. I'm riding up high in this thing and visibility is limited with the tire on back.

icon, question: is that wranglerforum the best one to be on? I registered today, but there are like a billion Jeep forums. Just want to make sure I'm getting invested in the right one (it's like when I first started playing fantasy football and spent my first two years at the Huddle...)
As posted by RC: JK Forum is where you guys should be :thumbup:

Regarding back-up sensors: I wasn't kidding when I said Jeeps had the best aftermarket support of any vehicle.

I would do a little research to ensure that's the best option... but, yes, there are options available :)

NY Based shop installed sensors and backup camera on this rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know long ago there were some issues with California tops quality/service. No idea if they got that cleaned up. Bestop are kinda the gold standard.

It's in my shopping card on Amazon. I can't decide.
Pull the trigger!

It's in my shopping card on Amazon. I can't decide.
Pull the trigger!
I actually pulled the trigger last night on the Offroad Heros fastback top I linked here. It's way cheaper and I think looks a little better. It's a small one-man operation who makes it, but I read a ton about it in the forums and it gets fantastic reviews. No leaks, great year round, and I love how you can configure it in tons of different ways--important for me when my kids complain they want their section of the roof off one day but my wife then complains an hour later that it's too sunny for them...

There used to be a several week or more wait for them, but he actually has them in stock now. I should have it in a few days. :excited:

Dumb question -- for the guys without the fancy pulley and hoist systems, how do you store your hard top? Standing up/leaning against the garage wall? Flat somewhere? I want to figure out a place for it where the kids won't destroy it. Anything in particular needed to store it? I've got some old moving blankets the movers left when they moved us in, maybe I can wrap it in a couple of those...

Dumb question -- for the guys without the fancy pulley and hoist systems, how do you store your hard top? Standing up/leaning against the garage wall? Flat somewhere? I want to figure out a place for it where the kids won't destroy it. Anything in particular needed to store it? I've got some old moving blankets the movers left when they moved us in, maybe I can wrap it in a couple of those...
We just lay it flat on blanket on the garage floor. How would the kids destroy it? I suppose you could cover it, but I don't think that is even necessary. As an aside, I bought a pack of these http://www.amazon.com/Textured-Coating-Gripping-Gloves-12-Pairs/dp/B007VS21JC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439987531&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+work+glovesfor my son and I to use to take the roof off. The ridge on the bottom of the roof is thin and digs in on the hands a bit. These help the grip and keep hand prints off the top too.

I've lost track of this thread. What did you end up getting?

I'm as unhandy as they come and I built a lift for my hard top when I had a Jeep. Wasn't too hard. I didn't get a design from the internet, so it was still a two man job, but it was much better having it up by the ceiling out of the way.

Pretty nice. I like the idea of the door storage too. But pretty funny that they designed the thing to hold three doors. Really?

I've lost track of this thread. What did you end up getting?I'm as unhandy as they come and I built a lift for my hard top when I had a Jeep. Wasn't too hard. I didn't get a design from the internet, so it was still a two man job, but it was much better having it up by the ceiling out of the way.
Got the Tank colored Rocky Ridge unlimited.

Amazon is dangerous because they load up all the accessories right there on the page once you enter which one you've got. About 15 boxes came in today with stuff I apparently bought in a drunken shopping spree the other night. My roll bars are now covered with mag lights, fire extinguishers, and all sorts of other crap.

Can't wait to get the hardtop off. In the time it will take me to get my BIL to come by I may be better off just building something in the garage, you guys may be right.

I've lost track of this thread. What did you end up getting?I'm as unhandy as they come and I built a lift for my hard top when I had a Jeep. Wasn't too hard. I didn't get a design from the internet, so it was still a two man job, but it was much better having it up by the ceiling out of the way.

Amazon is dangerous because they load up all the accessories right there on the page once you enter which one you've got. About 15 boxes came in today with stuff I apparently bought in a drunken shopping spree the other night. My roll bars are now covered with mag lights, fire extinguishers, and all sorts of other crap.

Can't wait to get the hardtop off. In the time it will take me to get my BIL to come by I may be better off just building something in the garage, you guys may be right.
New? Sweet. My dream version for when I have money like an actual fbg.

Got the Tank colored Rocky Ridge unlimited.Amazon is dangerous because they load up all the accessories right there on the page once you enter which one you've got. About 15 boxes came in today with stuff I apparently bought in a drunken shopping spree the other night. My roll bars are now covered with mag lights, fire extinguishers, and all sorts of other crap.

Brand spanking. Totally irresponsible splurge of me, but what the hell, only live once.

Got the Tank colored Rocky Ridge unlimited.Amazon is dangerous because they load up all the accessories right there on the page once you enter which one you've got. About 15 boxes came in today with stuff I apparently bought in a drunken shopping spree the other night. My roll bars are now covered with mag lights, fire extinguishers, and all sorts of other crap.

Brand spanking. Totally irresponsible splurge of me, but what the hell, only live once.
Cant take it with you, brother.

Let's be honest here Oats...you aren't building anything yourself.

...except a path to diabetes

If you've got a basic saw and know how to use it without cutting your fingers off, these carts are pretty easy to make for about $30-40 in materials.

Don't go TOO cheap on the casters/wheels... that's what determines how easily this will roll around.
This is brilliant, thanks!! I got everything but the casters and if I move some stuff around in the garage I should be able to get 2 cars in (which I hadn't been doing when we've had the top off).
I made one for my TJ hard top and it was extremely easy to get in place and move around. Very very handy if you've got limited garage space. :thumbup:

Hawks64 said:

Well yeah I meant hire a guy....

Although some of these things I've seen look REALLY easy to do. Like you nail a bunch of straps into the ceiling of the garage, wrap them around the top with some sponges or something so they don't mark it, and then just pulley it on up. This might be something even I could do.

Might.

My only negative reactions so far:

1. The stock Wrangler Sport radio may be the worst car radio I've ever heard. It's so, soooo bad. It's like they did this intentionally to convince you to buy the upgraded sound system. I get this isn't a luxury vehicle, but there are cheap bluetooth speakers that sound better.

2. My brakes are pretty crappy. I wonder how much of that is a result of the lift and 35" wheels. But there will be NO sudden stopping in this bad boy. I need plenty of time and need to press pretty hard. Today I found myself wondering if I should upgrade to some Brembo brake pads or somesuch nonsense.

Otherwise I love this thing. I have to figure out this top situation...

My only negative reactions so far:

1. The stock Wrangler Sport radio may be the worst car radio I've ever heard. It's so, soooo bad. It's like they did this intentionally to convince you to buy the upgraded sound system. I get this isn't a luxury vehicle, but there are cheap bluetooth speakers that sound better.

2. My brakes are pretty crappy. I wonder how much of that is a result of the lift and 35" wheels. But there will be NO sudden stopping in this bad boy. I need plenty of time and need to press pretty hard. Today I found myself wondering if I should upgrade to some Brembo brake pads or somesuch nonsense.

Otherwise I love this thing. I have to figure out this top situation...
Jeeps are large heavy vehicles known for not having great brakes to begin with. When you increase the rotational mass with 35s, it hurts them a good bit more. There are numerous upgraded brake systems and pads available... none of which are just groundbreaking differences. Plenty of research can be done though.

Yeah factory sound systems are frequently upgraded... I went with Infinity Kappa series speakers in factory locations in my dash and sound bar. Aftermarket amps help as well.

Same exact one as I had. Just drill that sucker into some studs and your golden. Pro tip : mine came with a 2 piece rod to hand crank it up and down. I found that my drill fit one rod section and it allowed me to lower and raise it easily.
Otis, you'll need a stud finder for this, and I'm not talking about your wife. :P

Same exact one as I had. Just drill that sucker into some studs and your golden. Pro tip : mine came with a 2 piece rod to hand crank it up and down. I found that my drill fit one rod section and it allowed me to lower and raise it easily.
Otis, you'll need a stud finder for this, and I'm not talking about your wife. :P
Lol.

Also pre drill your holes. This will count as your upper body workout for the day.

Good news. My garage is unfinished. I can see all the studs in the ceiling. Bad news. It's a vaulted garage. I don't know how much that will complicate this. If the ropes can be made uneven, then I can adjust for that in the rope. If not, I'll have to run a couple of beams down to square it off. I'm hoping I can do the former.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news. My garage is unfinished. I can see all the studs in the ceiling.Bad news. It's a vaulted garage. I don't know how much that will complicate this. If the ropes can be made uneven, then I can adjust for that in the rope. If not, I'll have to run a couple of beams down to square it off. I'm hoping I can do the former.
You could always attach an extension to one end. Just be sure that operating at an angle won't affect functionality (tension pulling at 30/45 degree angle vs straight down)

Controls are on the back of the center console in the center of the vehicle IIRC.

The shipments of boxes haven't stopped. All sorts of bars and bikini tops and cargo nets. I don't know what I was thinking.

Tomorrow the lift system I ordered comes in. I wonder if I can install it on Saturday. My soft top will probably be in a few days after that. May be able to swap out the tops for Labor Day weekend, we'll see.

Well I spend two days and two trips to Home Depot getting a lift system installed. It worked. Got the roof off. That said, when I got it completed I had two other grown men there with me, and I'll probably never use the lift again, which means we just could have lifted it off and saved me some cost and two days. BAG

May never put the hard top on again, and may sell it. Top off rules. I do need to figure out my soft top plan and rain contingency plan.

Jeeps rock. Why didn't I get one sooner?

Well I spend two days and two trips to Home Depot getting a lift system installed. It worked. Got the roof off. That said, when I got it completed I had two other grown men there with me, and I'll probably never use the lift again, which means we just could have lifted it off and saved me some cost and two days. BAG

May never put the hard top on again, and may sell it. Top off rules. I do need to figure out my soft top plan and rain contingency plan.

Jeeps rock. Why didn't I get one sooner?
I'd wait until you get through winter before abandoning the hard top. I love it.

Generally in the summer I just pop off the front panels, roll down the windows and open the back window. Super easy to do and for me it's like 90% there as taking the whole thing off... actually sometimes better as it can provide a little shade from the sun at times. Plus, just keep my T-Tops in the back in case of a shower or T-Storm.

Would like to do more doors off driving - how difficult is it to take them off and put them on. Im basically a one man show (wifey ain't gonna help)

Users who are viewing this thread