What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (2 Viewers)

]3) The Drivers door has a bit of a dent/crease in it that has me concerned. I'm new to this but it looks like there might have been a buckling due to high-middling or something along those lines. This car was also hit in the back right (pass) quarter panel where that was replaced. Could this be residual from that? If so, does it indicate a problem?
I doubt that damage on the drivers side was caused by an accident on the passenger side, at least not damage that minor in appearence.

,May 30 2006, 08:38 PM]

I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT go off road with coil spacers! When you get a tire hanging, it will pop out and you'll lose the clearance needed for your tires. I've seen it happen several times.
How much articulation does it take for these things to pop out? WIll the pop out every time but only occationally?
They won't pop out every time, but often enough that I wouldn't trust them.They are kind of the equivalent of cranking up the torsion bars all the way on an IFS...looks good on the street but actually reduces your articulation.

ETA: I'm talking about the spacers that fit between the coils. I have no experience with those that mount above the coil.
These spacer go on top of the coil and you also extend the bumpstops. You can't get the spacers to move past the bumpstop cup. I see what you are referring to though ...

icon, I'd probably walk away from that one.

The flares have been replaced, along with the bumpers and sidestep/rocker guards. Plus, all the stuff that was listed.

This one just seems to hint of damage that was replaced with aftermarket. Did the guy have a carfax report?

Anyone put a speaker bar in yourself? My 6x9's were stolen a few months ago (my fault - I had them just sitting on the back wheelbase, not locked in or anything, asking to be stolen), and I'm getting by on the two front tweeters.

For $150 - $230, I see I can get one of those speak bars that mount overhead to the roll bars.

Yey or ney?

Oh, and on point, I'd pass on that Jeep icon (agree with greatlvvvr).

Get something that's far more basic, and do all the additions yourself.

icon, I'd probably walk away from that one.

The flares have been replaced, along with the bumpers and sidestep/rocker guards. Plus, all the stuff that was listed.

This one just seems to hint of damage that was replaced with aftermarket. Did the guy have a carfax report?
Yes.. I ran Carfax and all that turned up was an odometer discrepancy. No accidents/damages. The NADA book on that jeep is $14,000 in a private party sale... KBB is 9,500... Most appear to sell in the 12k range. I'm considering going for 9000-9500. It needs rubber and the odometer thing scares me a bit but frankly once you get up to a certain level (+100k) it's more about recent history than actual odometer readings. I mentioned 8000-8500 to the guy today and he balked, saying the Hard top ran him 3000 alone.

He's asking 10,500 but explained he'd move down. I think 9000-9500 is reasonable pending a full dealer inspection of frame, engine, suspension etc.

Sounds like he has 2" coil spacers, those cost about $200 for a set(with longer shocks included) and they will not fall out. I had them in my 2000 TJ for several years with no problems. Good cheap upgrade to run bigger tires.

1" body lift is fine, I wouldn't go anymore than 1", again a cheap upgrade.

That inline 6 will run forever and even if it doesn't lots of parts available and pretty cheap.

A hardtop does not cost $3k.

The gas mileage on this hog is probably 15mpg at best and probably around 12-13 into the wind on a highway.

I think 8200-8500 is about what this thing is worth especially with the cost of gas as high as it is.

I'd steer away from this one unless you can get the price down. I think a lot of jeep owners don't realize that the mods they make usually take away value from the Jeep.

Been lurking and don't want to hijack icon's thread

but...

I've got a 97 Sport with a cracked exhaust manifold (sounds pretty cool, but it's time to fix it). I'm guessing the entire exhaust needs to be swapped out as well, as it appears factory or at least a long time since replacing (she's got 116k).

I'm trying to determine if this is an afternoon with a six pack job, or it needs a trip to the mechanic. Last time I looked it appeared that the manifold was welded to the exhaust, but I'm sure I just missed something as I've seen the manifolds sold separately.

Also what's the difference between headers and an exhaust manifold. I understand the headers are designed for better performance but again I've got to be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated.

I pretty much use my Jeep as a beater right now. I had to replace a transmission and the cat converters, but other than that and a couple of tune-ups, it has been one of the most solid vehicles I've ever owned. I treat it like total dog#### and it holds up very well. Getting rid of my 350Z in favor of a 2500 HD, so I might be cleaning up the Jeep because eventhough it sucks the gas, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it'll be better than the truck.

I'd look for an un-modded Sport. I haven't run the sites or anything, but I'm sure they're out there. Wranglers are probably the most popular vehicle in B'ham, so I may be a little spoiled in being able to judge what is available elsewhere.

If you get something with a lift already installed and considering you're thinking smallish, I'd look for a Rancho 9000 or go with that once you purchase. I think mine is a 3" lift, but not sure. It's still solid as hell and 8 years old.

Chrome looks good, but I'd avoid it. I'm probably going to replace my brush guard/nerf bars soon.

If you're looking to add a sub, there's a couple of center console models out there... I'd check the Jeep Essential catalog before buying a Jeep because some of those aren't available for certain models. There's one I would've already purchased long ago, but it's not available for a 97. I'm not really a sub guy, but doing 70 down the interstate makes the factory stereo set-up pretty much useless, especially with the top off.

I wish I had a picture of my buddy's Jeep. I really haven't done much to mine, but his is ridiculous. 04 or so model. 6-8" lift. 36's, I think. Brush guard that comes up over the hood. Full spare with the full off road accesory package (jack, gas cans, etc.). It's a beautiful Jeep, and cruising around Hawaii at the moment.

Oh, if you go the route of replacing the carpet with a spray in liner, there's a product out there that works as insulation as well. I don't remember the name, but this is what you want. You'd be surprised how much heat you'll get from the road if you just go with Rhinoliner or some of the others.

Not to knock the older models, but I'd get a 97 or newer if I were going to use it as a primary vehicle.

Edit: I've got a Seadoo, as does another friend. We've launched those things in some of the craziest places. There was a washed out ramp near a friends place at the lake we went to this weekend with probably a 2-3' drop. The Jeep didn't even blink pulling my 2 seater and my friend's brand new RXT over the drop off. My ski isn't that big, but his is basically a boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
,May 9 2006, 01:43 PM]

Icon, I don't know if anyone has clued you into the huge responsibility that goes along with a jeep. You will be required to give the 'I-see-you-buddy' wave to all other jeeps you see on the road.
I just learned of that yesterday. :bag: :bye:
Yep... I've heard of the "jeep wave" :thumbup: No probs there.
?We have a Jeep and I've never seen this done.

:bag:
There are so many Jeeps around here, people have pretty much given up the practice, it seems. I still do it most of the time, but if I did it everytime, I'd spend the whole day with my hand in the air.

I pretty much use my Jeep as a beater right now. I had to replace a transmission and the cat converters, but other than that and a couple of tune-ups, it has been one of the most solid vehicles I've ever owned. I treat it like total dog#### and it holds up very well. Getting rid of my 350Z in favor of a 2500 HD, so I might be cleaning up the Jeep because eventhough it sucks the gas, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it'll be better than the truck.

I'd look for an un-modded Sport. I haven't run the sites or anything, but I'm sure they're out there. Wranglers are probably the most popular vehicle in B'ham, so I may be a little spoiled in being able to judge what is available elsewhere.

If you get something with a lift already installed and considering you're thinking smallish, I'd look for a Rancho 9000 or go with that once you purchase. I think mine is a 3" lift, but not sure. It's still solid as hell and 8 years old.

Chrome looks good, but I'd avoid it. I'm probably going to replace my brush guard/nerf bars soon.

If you're looking to add a sub, there's a couple of center console models out there... I'd check the Jeep Essential catalog before buying a Jeep because some of those aren't available for certain models. There's one I would've already purchased long ago, but it's not available for a 97. I'm not really a sub guy, but doing 70 down the interstate makes the factory stereo set-up pretty much useless, especially with the top off.

I wish I had a picture of my buddy's Jeep. I really haven't done much to mine, but his is ridiculous. 04 or so model. 6-8" lift. 36's, I think. Brush guard that comes up over the hood. Full spare with the full off road accesory package (jack, gas cans, etc.). It's a beautiful Jeep, and cruising around Hawaii at the moment.

Oh, if you go the route of replacing the carpet with a spray in liner, there's a product out there that works as insulation as well. I don't remember the name, but this is what you want. You'd be surprised how much heat you'll get from the road if you just go with Rhinoliner or some of the others.

Not to knock the older models, but I'd get a 97 or newer if I were going to use it as a primary vehicle.

Edit: I've got a Seadoo, as does another friend. We've launched those things in some of the craziest places. There was a washed out ramp near a friends place at the lake we went to this weekend with probably a 2-3' drop. The Jeep didn't even blink pulling my 2 seater and my friend's brand new RXT over the drop off. My ski isn't that big, but his is basically a boat.
:thumbup: Great post.. thanks JeepLover ;) Looking at 99 or newer for SURE now... not really worried about getting it already lifted or not as I now realize I can get the tires I want (32-33" tires) for around $500/set off ebay (including shipping) and I'm pretty confident in my ability to install a lift kit as well.

If there hadn't been a full-cage roll bar welded to the FRAME, I'd be dead.
Used to work with a guy(hell of a great guy) that raced his at a local speedway (spectator race), he ended up rolling it and he DIDN'T have his roll cage welded inand the last time I saw him (I quit working there) he was still in very bad shape.Wheelchair ridden and not all there. Quite sad.

Hey Icon, that jeep looks pretty nice but I definately wouldn't pay what he is asking. Keep looking. Also, keep in mind that the Sahara's are really over priced and have a lot of plastic on them.

As for the pumpkin, the jeeps all came with Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front since 1987, unless it is a Rubicon or has aftermarket 44's. The 35's and 30's are junk if you are going to do any hard core wheeling. I destroyed the 35 in my 88 Wrangler doing some minor wheeling. If you are just planning to occasionally play in the dirt and drive on the high way alot, the stock stuff will be just fine.

icon

Like my dad always told me when I would be looking at vehicles. Don't fall in love with any car there is always another one out there.

Some times the excitement of finding a car you like will lead you to overlook problems in the car.

Happy Hunting

Hey Icon, that jeep looks pretty nice but I definately wouldn't pay what he is asking. Keep looking. Also, keep in mind that the Sahara's are really over priced and have a lot of plastic on them.

As for the pumpkin, the jeeps all came with Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front since 1987, unless it is a Rubicon or has aftermarket 44's. The 35's and 30's are junk if you are going to do any hard core wheeling. I destroyed the 35 in my 88 Wrangler doing some minor wheeling. If you are just planning to occasionally play in the dirt and drive on the high way alot, the stock stuff will be just fine.
Thanks man.to be honest I'm looking moreso at sports now and even some tricked out X's as I've seen them with more features than some of the Sports. I'm leaning heavily away from that kid's 99' sahara as there are just too many questions now.. ESPECIALLY with the Carfax coming back dirty .

I have a 78 CJ7 with a spring over axle (SOA) lift on it. It gives me a good 3-4 inches of lift and no problems at all. I don't use it as a daily driver, but I drive it 4-5 times a week to the gym or softball or whatever. It has 35's on it and it is a BLAST! I have the hardtop off and the doors off as well.

Lots of fun.

I was driving yesterday and it just died as I was driving it. I thought maybe I was out of gas. (gas guage doesn't work) so i bought a gallon of gas. It didn't work. So I ended up getting a push into a near by parking lot and changed out the fuel pump. Now it starts and drives so much better!

Cool thing about an older jeep is that you drive it till it breaks, then upgrade that broken part and eventually you will end up with a tank!

Plus, the older ones will retain their value better. I would consider looking into a NICE older one for 6-8k rather than spend 8-10k on a newer one that will just go down in value. I spent $3500 on mine and get looks where ever I go.

Mine is black with diamond plating. I have pics but am not sure how to post them here.

One more thing... avoid off road tires unless you're going to be taking it in a lot of mud. Driving down a dirt road doesn't count, and most "muddy" trails wouldn't either. All terrain radials. You'll get much more mileage out of them.

If you go for the look, you'll replace them waaaaay too often. I learned the hard way... first set of tires were Mikey Baja's, (can't even remember the name of the other "mud" tire), and then the BFG off road, which were all replaced quickly due to wear. I've had my BFG All Terrains for quite some time now and they still have a ton of tread. One Summer of riding down the interstate a lot (I was treking from B'ham to Mobile repeatedly) will kill your off road tires.

Also what's the difference between headers and an exhaust manifold. I understand the headers are designed for better performance but again I've got to be missing something.

Any insight is appreciated.
A stock exhaust manifold gathers the exhaust into one pipe as soon as it exits the head. Headers are a type of exhaust manifold that keeps these exhaust gases seperated for a foot or two before they converge into one pipe, allowing your engine to breathe a little more freely at higher rpms. The difference in MPG can vary greatly depending on how you drive and what engine you have. Headers are expensive, noisy, and can really crowd your engine compartment. It may take years of driving to recover your initial cost. Unless your really serious about high performance, I wouldn't bother with them.

One more thing... avoid off road tires unless you're going to be taking it in a lot of mud. Driving down a dirt road doesn't count, and most "muddy" trails wouldn't either. All terrain radials. You'll get much more mileage out of them.

If you go for the look, you'll replace them waaaaay too often. I learned the hard way... first set of tires were Mikey Baja's, (can't even remember the name of the other "mud" tire), and then the BFG off road, which were all replaced quickly due to wear. I've had my BFG All Terrains for quite some time now and they still have a ton of tread. One Summer of riding down the interstate a lot (I was treking from B'ham to Mobile repeatedly) will kill your off road tires.
I typically put 12-15k miles on my vehicle per year... I'll likely go thorugh one set of mud tires just to get it out of my system, then upgrade to some big radials. :thumbup:

Going to look at 2 Jeeps tonight... an 03 and an 04... both in the 17k range with very low miles (30k) at local dealers. They are across the street from each other. One has a hard top & soft top... one has new 31" tires on it. Going to see what they'll do bidding back and forth.

With book at 18-20 for these (KBB/NADA) I'm hoping to land one for 16ish.... wish me luck.

]Going to look at 2 Jeeps tonight... an 03 and an 04... both in the 17k range with very low miles (30k) at local dealers. They are across the street from each other. One has a hard top & soft top... one has new 31" tires on it. Going to see what they'll do bidding back and forth.

With book at 18-20 for these (KBB/NADA) I'm hoping to land one for 16ish.... wish me luck.
You could build a hell of a CJ for 16K. You are going to have an average Jeep that looks like every other jeep out there if you get one of these. Just my opinion.

,Jun 1 2006, 05:04 PM]Going to look at 2 Jeeps tonight... an 03 and an 04... both in the 17k range with very low miles (30k) at local dealers. They are across the street from each other. One has a hard top & soft top... one has new 31" tires on it. Going to see what they'll do bidding back and forth.

You could build a hell of a CJ for 16K. You are going to have an average Jeep that looks like every other jeep out there if you get one of these. Just my opinion.
My CJ costs far less than that to build and I would put it against any TJ I have come across. The most expensive part of my jeep would be the front and rear Dana 44's with Detroit lockers, 4.56 gears and currie built axles. For that money you could land yourself a CJ with a fuel injected 350 and still have lots of money left over. Not to mention the resale value is so much higher. I have found a ton of them on auto trader that are built for $10K and under.

I could never see spending that kind of money on a Jeep but to each his own I guess.

It seems like everyone on here was suggesting I look at a TJ over a CJ since I'm looking for a daily driver. Also, the CJs have the less comfy suspension, and they have less "Comfy" interiors. While I'm not looking for anything posh, I'd like to have something semi-comfy for the occational longer trip.

Also, I am NOT particularly handy, so the concept of swapping out axles and engines is not something I'm looking to do. I'm looking for a good looking daily driver with a the capability to handle some light trail riding once every week or three.

While I understand that Jeeps mean different things to different people, I personally can't afford to have a ride that's going to need a new manifold or transmission or some other work done to it a couple times a year, leaving me without a car. If I was a gear head I'd be all over a 20 year old CJ but frankly I've never done major engine or suspension work in my life and I'd like to break myself in a little more slowly :)

]It seems like everyone on here was suggesting I look at a TJ over a CJ since I'm looking for a daily driver. Also, the CJs have the less comfy suspension, and they have less "Comfy" interiors. While I'm not looking for anything posh, I'd like to have something semi-comfy for the occational longer trip.

Also, I am NOT particularly handy, so the concept of swapping out axles and engines is not something I'm looking to do. I'm looking for a good looking daily driver with a the capability to handle some light trail riding once every week or three.

While I understand that Jeeps mean different things to different people, I personally can't afford to have a ride that's going to need a new manifold or transmission or some other work done to it a couple times a year, leaving me without a car. If I was a gear head I'd be all over a 20 year old CJ but frankly I've never done major engine or suspension work in my life and I'd like to break myself in a little more slowly :)
:thumbup: Sounds exactly like me. I went with a slightly older model (94) with somewhat low mileage (75,000). She's been extremely reliable thus far - ~ 2 years.

]
That is a damn good looking jeep... no doubt. I just suspect I'll spend a good bit of time under the hood if I get it :(
Not true at all. I have yet to work on anything under the hood of my CJ in 2+ years. The 258 inline six is one of the most reliable motors you will come across. You are right though, my CJ is not fun on long trips, even though I have really nice after market seats.

You are in for quite a shock if you think long road trips in any jeep are comparable to a car though.

To be totally honest with you, if I had it to do all over, I would probably have bought a TJ instead of my CJ. My jeep is purely a rock crawler/off road machine, not a lot of high way driving though. TJ's are really awesome and make far better off road machines than CJ's simply because of the coil suspension vs the leafs in my opinion. I have been wheeling with just about every type of jeep made and the guys with the built TJ's usually have the easiest time with things and most of them have AC to go along with it.

Just keep mind, if you ever plan to do any semi-serious wheeling, the Dana 30/35 combo is junk and always regarded as the weak link of the jeeps.

,Jun 1 2006, 05:04 PM]Going to look at 2 Jeeps tonight... an 03 and an 04... both in the 17k range with very low miles (30k) at local dealers. They are across the street from each other. One has a hard top & soft top... one has new 31" tires on it. Going to see what they'll do bidding back and forth.

My CJ costs far less than that to build and I would put it against any TJ I have come across. The most expensive part of my jeep would be the front and rear Dana 44's with Detroit lockers, 4.56 gears and currie built axles. For that money you could land yourself a CJ with a fuel injected 350 and still have lots of money left over. Not to mention the resale value is so much higher. I have found a ton of them on auto trader that are built for $10K and under.

I could never see spending that kind of money on a Jeep but to each his own I guess.
:goodposting:

Hey Icon - one thing I remembered last night on my way to the golf course, that you may need to consider for a "daily" driver.

Do you carry a laptop to and from work? Do you go golfing often? Leaving a laptop in your non-hard top jeep severly limits your happy hour imbibing... and I used to hate carrying my golf clubs into the office everyday - you should have seen some of the looks I got.

But the laptop was the big one... man what a pain in the ### - If I wanted to go into a bar (or a store or something like that), I either had to cable lock the laptop to the jeep, or carry it with me.

Just something to consider...

Hey Icon - one thing I remembered last night on my way to the golf course, that you may need to consider for a "daily" driver.

Do you carry a laptop to and from work? Do you go golfing often? Leaving a laptop in your non-hard top jeep severly limits your happy hour imbibing... and I used to hate carrying my golf clubs into the office everyday - you should have seen some of the looks I got.

But the laptop was the big one... man what a pain in the ### - If I wanted to go into a bar (or a store or something like that), I either had to cable lock the laptop to the jeep, or carry it with me.

Pit Bull in back seat down?

Not a problem... I don't carry a laptop to/from work so that shouldn't be a problem. If I go golfing, it's usually with friends so I could leave my clubs with them. ONe of the jeeps I'm loking at has a hard top so that would be a nice perk for in the winter.

About to bid on one on ebay... 03 with 8700 miles :eek:

Might get it for 15k.

Passing! Just found a cherry ilocally1999 RED Jeep Wrangler Sport

CD/Soundbar

AC

3" Lift

33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain (lots of tread)

Fog Lights

Running Boards

Rubicon Flares

83,000 Miles

$8865

I have no photos of the Jeep itself, however these shots are a nice reference.

The Jeep (color and fog lights only)

http://carpictures.carjunky.com/albums/Tru...Vs/red_jeep.jpg

The Fender Flares:

http://www.spydercustoms.com/tjparts/tubef...rs/dsc03683.jpg

The Wheels:

http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels/image...rrain_large.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading a lot about tires here and want to add my 2c.

I think the best all around Jeep tires are BF Goodrich All Terrain's.

They work well in mud and drive well on pavement. 35's are huge and not necessary, unless you are looking for clearance. Anything around 32-33 will work excellent, even without a suspension lift, a 1-2" body lift would work fine.

Was able to take my top and doors off for Memorial Day weekend and kept them off until last night(before a thunderstorm came). Great times. I am very happy with my new toy.

]WHY JEEPS ARE BADASS

Anyone here seen Tracy's roll?

Ahhhh.... Jeep Safari. A couple of years back, I watched some goober roll a Jeep sideways right off the top of the Lion's Back hill. I thought for sure all 4 passengers were dead, but amazingly, they all survived.

]FYI, this is pretty much the exact Jeep I'm looking at today at lunch (and probably buying)

Except:

1) Mine will be red

2) Mine will have Rubicon Front fenders

Everything else is the same (lift, tires, fog lights, etc)

http://www.streettrucksupplies.com/images/IMG_0339.JPG

:thumbup:
Good choice. I would have to see someone spend over 10k for a newer jeep. You should be able to get this one for $8500 and have $1500 for whatever you might want to upgrade. Sounds like a nice jeep. Congrats.I will upload a pic of mine in my profile if you want to look at it.

,Jun 2 2006, 10:34 AM]FYI, this is pretty much the exact Jeep I'm looking at today at lunch (and probably buying)

Except:

1) Mine will be red

Cool Jeep, but I would reccommend finding one with full doors for a daily driver, especially if you live anywhere that gets cold / snow in the winter.
Memphis, TNNever Snows. rarely gets below freezing.

The guy replaced the plastic door window with sliding glass ones somehow? Dunno.. I'll see in about an hour.

,Jun 2 2006, 10:34 AM]FYI, this is pretty much the exact Jeep I'm looking at today at lunch (and probably buying)

Except:

1) Mine will be red

Good choice. I would have to see someone spend over 10k for a newer jeep. You should be able to get this one for $8500 and have $1500 for whatever you might want to upgrade. Sounds like a nice jeep. Congrats.I will upload a pic of mine in my profile if you want to look at it.
:thumbup: That is a sweet lookin ride

,Jun 2 2006, 12:27 PMThe guy replaced the plastic door window with sliding glass ones somehow? Dunno.. I'll see in about an hour.
probably just on the drives side... toll booths get to be annoying in the winter otherwise - haha!

,Jun 2 2006, 12:27 PM

The guy replaced the plastic door window with sliding glass ones somehow? Dunno.. I'll see in about an hour.
probably just on the drives side... toll booths get to be annoying in the winter otherwise - haha!
He said he did it for both doors :thumbup: Damn.. looking like he's dumped some coin into this puppy

Users who are viewing this thread