What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for soft top for our 2016 Unlimited Sahara with a hard top.

I figured I'd come to the experts, because I'm hearing a lot of different things.  I've heard that because of the rear windows there is not a soft top that will fit an Unlimited built for a hard top (which doesn't sound right to me).  I've also found some soft tops, but they apparently do not fit the Sahara model.

Can anyone set the record straight and perhaps suggest a good soft top?

Thanks guys.
I really like my Offroad Heroes fastback soft top.  I did a ton of research and liked that the top panel over just the drivers could be rolled up quickly (takes me 1 minute), or the rear sears top can also be pulled off (another 4 minutes maybe), and I liked the look of the fastback.

It's also way cheap compared to other options -- $650.

Here it is on the OJeep:  https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/12473548_10154767796934546_6942332032248115693_o.jpg

I like it very much.  It's mostly been garaged, but has been out in weather (snow and rain) and has held up well in both with no leaking.  This season I've left it in the driveway most of the season, and no issues.

Oh, it was a major PIA to put on the first time, as the sutff needs to stretch out a bit.  Look it up on the web.  That said, once you get it installed a first time, on and off is really easy. (I used to take the whole thing off all summer long, but after getting almost caught in a couple of rainstorms, decided I would leave it on and just pull off the panels as I want to ... a whole lot more enjoyable to not have to worry about whether a storm is going to come through unexpectedly, or when the kids in the back start crying about the wind, etc.

Oh and I should note, I installed this on a 15 JK Unlimited.  Works just fine, and I assume the same for a '16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I should note, I installed this on a 15 JK Unlimited.  Works just fine, and I assume the same for a '16.
I would assume the same.  Thanks for the information, Otis.  I agree that it is sharp looking amd priced very reasonably from what I have seen.  

I have the same top and also love it.  Be warned, it could take a long time to get it delivered.  Not sure what Otis' experience was but there are horror stories about waiting months for it to ship.  Mine took a long time, but I knew that going in and I think it was worth the wait.

If you're in a hurry, Bestop makes some nice soft tops.  They should all fit your Jeep.  Not sure why you were told there was something unique about the Sahara that would cause an issue?

I have a factory "premium" soft top (it's more cloth-like) and a hard top for mine (2015 Willys Unlimited). There are 2 grades of factory soft tops, but they definitely both fit any Wrangler for their model year. 

Death shakes at 45mph.  What did I break?
Balance / Alignment
Have someone steer back and forth while parked and look for ANY play in any of the steering assembly (tie rod ends, etc). 
Start there and proceed down the "Death Wobble" rabbit hole from there.

Balance / Alignment
Have someone steer back and forth while parked and look for ANY play in any of the steering assembly (tie rod ends, etc). 
Start there and proceed down the "Death Wobble" rabbit hole from there.

Thanks.  I've been putting it off because I'm planning on upgrading the suspension & lift as soon as my tires wear out and they are almost gone.  Need to do something though because the old lady likes to drive it around when I'm at work and I'm starting to worry a bit.  

IF your tires are almost toast that could definitely be the issue. Death Wobble is a finicky beast caused by any number of variables. 

IF your tires are almost toast that could definitely be the issue. Death Wobble is a finicky beast caused by any number of variables. 
Yeah, I'm going to give it a go looking for the obvious then probably just bite the bullet and upgrade.  Which begs a few more questions.  I have a 2" simple spring and spacer lift with 31" tires.  In the past have bought most things from Quadratec and installed myself.  

1- What's a solid 3" - ish suspension package that would get me to 33" tires that you might recommend?

2- I feel like I can do it myself, but, I'm a directions following type that doesn't have enough experience to just start swapping out parts without knowing what I'm doing.  Can you find instructions and/or good youtube videos on line?

3- At what point to I need to start swapping out other parts; gear ratios, drive axles, moving transfer case, shifter boot etc.?  It's at this point it feels it might get too complicated to do myself.  

4- Thinking that while I'm at it replacing the exhaust with a performance exhaust system.  Worth it or nah?

What model/year we talking about yere? 

What Engine / transmission do you have? 

Are you lifting to actually offroad/rock crawl or primarily for larger tires? 

What model/year we talking about yere? 

What Engine / transmission do you have? 

Are you lifting to actually offroad/rock crawl or primarily for larger tires? 

2005 Wrangler - 4.0 liter straight 6

I'd like to off road and rock crawl, but, it's a daily driver around town too because it's just too functional, easy to park, etc. etc.  Looking for the sweet spot in the middle there and that's why I'm not going with bigger tires.  I have Pro Comp Extremes now and was looking (can't recall the brand right now) at a tire that was Very Good rated for off road and mud and Excellent for rain on pavement.  Looked like they might be a little quieter than the swampers.   Willing to pay the extra for sway bar disconnects etc.  

You get what you pay for.  Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak are the leaders in the JK lift arena.  Buy a cheaper brand and you may not like the results.  I personally went with a 2.5" Metal Cloak lift, installed myself with the help of a few buddies, and am extremely happy with the result.  Mine's a daily driver, so same boat as most in that I needed it to handle on-road, as well as give me the off-road improvements I was looking for.  Also, I'm no mechanic either, but handy enough to follow clear instructions and was able to get it done.  Lots of info out there, and most of these companies will help you through the install.  Good luck!

If you're focused on On-Road performance then I would consider a 3" lift (no higher)... even at 3" you MIGHT encounter driveline vibrations that require a motor mount lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator, and Double CV Driveshaft.... but you're PROBABLY going to be okay. I run the Old Man Emu 3" lift and love it. Their shocks ride like a dream, and the suspension performs exceptionally well off road. Installation isn't bad at all if you're comfortable with removing coil springs. 

I'm not a fan of ProComp tires, but if you're shopping at 4WP they're going to rate them artificially high due to owning the brand. If they work for you, though, then good :thumbup:

If you're serious about on road handling, but go off-road regularly... I'd consider a ORO SwayLOC dual rate sway bar system. Not only does it seem to improve stabilization on road... but when going off road, instead of removing the swaybar or rolling around in the dirt fighting with "quick" disconnects, you flip a switch. PLUS the design of the bar actually improves traction off road over a simply disconnected swaybar. 

Likely parting with my Jeep.  Turns out it's not the most practical car for fitting in three car seats, or for my wife to drive for that matter (she's a trooper at 9 months pregnant climbing up into it as a passenger, never says a word, but is really uncomfortable driving it, which I get).  It also turns out that taking the whole family off roading and adventuring, as neat as that seemed to me, happened exactly zero times in the over a year I owned it.  It ended up purely being a car to cruise around locally in on a nice day, maybe down to the beach, but usually just shopping, to lunch, or for Otis to have some time alone with a cigar and running some errands.

So, we're doing two things, probably.  First is we'll trade my Jeep in :tear: for a new Audi Q7.  That will become her new main car, and our Yukon Denali becomes the second car. So at least in the event of a car breaking down (as happened recently) or being in an accident, or for when we need to split up, both cars can support the whole family.

However, in exchange for this, I've brokered a deal.  Mrs. O knows how much I love my Jeep for the occasional open air cruise and cigar on the weekend.  So, she's authorized me to pick up a third car.  Since it doesn't need to be functional -- it's purely a gadget/toy -- I can go with whatever I want.  So, I can go back to what started me on the Jeep kick in the first place.  I was considering something like an old classic Bronco, but instead I think I want to go with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272415445913?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So awesome.  Fits the bill for my uses.  

So, hopefully even after I leave the Jeep club I'll remain in the Jeep club.

Someone tell me I'm crazy...

I sold my jeep about 4 years ago and have missed it every summer. In the 6 years that I hard it, I only put 7k miles on it. It was a pain to sell because nobody could properly value its worth with so little miles on it. I basically kept it garaged with the top and doors off all year as it was a 3rd vehicle. 

Fast forward to today. I have a wife and two daughters (6 and 2). Wife has a Murano which was new when the 6yo was born and I paid cash so no balance. She has 50k miles and trade in according to KBB is around $9k. I am contemplating trading her Murano in and getting a '16 4-door Unlimited. (I love the top @otis posted earlier, but not sure if that could be an all-season, everyday top). Am I crazy for thinking a Jeep could be an everyday "grocery getter" vehicle for my wife with two young kids who drives ~8k miles a year?

stopping by a dealer later today...

Likely parting with my Jeep.  Turns out it's not the most practical car for fitting in three car seats, or for my wife to drive for that matter (she's a trooper at 9 months pregnant climbing up into it as a passenger, never says a word, but is really uncomfortable driving it, which I get).  It also turns out that taking the whole family off roading and adventuring, as neat as that seemed to me, happened exactly zero times in the over a year I owned it.  It ended up purely being a car to cruise around locally in on a nice day, maybe down to the beach, but usually just shopping, to lunch, or for Otis to have some time alone with a cigar and running some errands.

So, we're doing two things, probably.  First is we'll trade my Jeep in :tear: for a new Audi Q7.  That will become her new main car, and our Yukon Denali becomes the second car. So at least in the event of a car breaking down (as happened recently) or being in an accident, or for when we need to split up, both cars can support the whole family.

However, in exchange for this, I've brokered a deal.  Mrs. O knows how much I love my Jeep for the occasional open air cruise and cigar on the weekend.  So, she's authorized me to pick up a third car.  Since it doesn't need to be functional -- it's purely a gadget/toy -- I can go with whatever I want.  So, I can go back to what started me on the Jeep kick in the first place.  I was considering something like an old classic Bronco, but instead I think I want to go with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272415445913?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the feeling the purchase process for the new 3rd vehicle will be thread worthy.  :subscribe:

Someone tell me I'm crazy...

I sold my jeep about 4 years ago and have missed it every summer. In the 6 years that I hard it, I only put 7k miles on it. It was a pain to sell because nobody could properly value its worth with so little miles on it. I basically kept it garaged with the top and doors off all year as it was a 3rd vehicle. 

Fast forward to today. I have a wife and two daughters (6 and 2). Wife has a Murano which was new when the 6yo was born and I paid cash so no balance. She has 50k miles and trade in according to KBB is around $9k. I am contemplating trading her Murano in and getting a '16 4-door Unlimited. (I love the top @otis posted earlier, but not sure if that could be an all-season, everyday top). Am I crazy for thinking a Jeep could be an everyday "grocery getter" vehicle for my wife with two young kids who drives ~8k miles a year?

stopping by a dealer later today...
What you're describing is exactly how we used ours, and we've put on 2800 miles in over a year.  The unlimited will fit two car seats well, and yes, it makes a fine around-towner/grocery getter.  It sucks on the highway -- a bit of a pig -- so we only took it on a couple of long drives.  But locally, it's great. I left mine ungaraged with that top for the past 6 months, and it's been great.  It was also in the snow a few times in the winter.  It's held up well.   

So yes, this can work for you.

Mine is a third car and it's awesome. I do what Avoiding Injuries used to do with his. I keep the doors and top off and keep it in the garage. I four wheel a fair amount, but also will drive it to work on nice days. I think you'll also love driving the 2 door - it's a blast. Good luck!

Found a pretty decent deal on a Rubicon, just about the same price as an unlimited sport. I know Rubicons are built for off-roading, but my jeep will likely never leave the pavement. Is there a downside to having a Rubicon instead of a sport unlimited for "around town'ing" it? 

Found a pretty decent deal on a Rubicon, just about the same price as an unlimited sport. I know Rubicons are built for off-roading, but my jeep will likely never leave the pavement. Is there a downside to having a Rubicon instead of a sport unlimited for "around town'ing" it? 
The price is typically the only downside to the Rubicon. It's way more off road capable than the wife will need around town, but there are no actual downsides to the package.

Is there a reason you are buying a jeep if you aren't going to take it off road? I have a Rubicon and holy crap! - it's a blast to take off road.

Buy it and give off roading a try. You'll love it.

Is there a reason you are buying a jeep if you aren't going to take it off road? I have a Rubicon and holy crap! - it's a blast to take off road.

Buy it and give off roading a try. You'll love it.
I had a Jeep for 6 years and sold it in 2013. I never took that one off road either. Being able to drive with the top down and doors off is why. 

The only real difference you'd notice is the gearing.  Not sure what year you're looking at, but generally a 4.10 gearing for a late model Rubicon compared to 3.21 or 3.73 gearing on the sahara and sport.  With 4.10's it will feel "quicker" at low speeds, but you'll run higher RPM and feel slower at high speeds with worse MPG.  But all that is heavily dependent on tire size as well.

Big picture though, you probably won't notice anything.  It's a jeep, jeeps are slow.  If you get it I'll trade you my 3.21 axles.  3.21 would generally be better for highway/cruising/MPG type travel.

The only real difference you'd notice is the gearing.  Not sure what year you're looking at, but generally a 4.10 gearing for a late model Rubicon compared to 3.21 or 3.73 gearing on the sahara and sport.  With 4.10's it will feel "quicker" at low speeds, but you'll run higher RPM and feel slower at high speeds with worse MPG.  But all that is heavily dependent on tire size as well.

Big picture though, you probably won't notice anything.  It's a jeep, jeeps are slow.  If you get it I'll trade you my 3.21 axles.  3.21 would generally be better for highway/cruising/MPG type travel.
Do all late model unlimited Rubicons have 4.10 gearing?

I'm looking at used 2015 and 2016

Thanks

Eta: nevermind NB looks like manual transmission comes with 4.10 and auto comes with 3.73 with 4.10 as an upgrade option

And I'm back after a short hiatus....pick up a new 2016 Willy's unlimited on Tuesday. I was really pushing for a Rubicon but just couldn't justify the extra cost when I'll probably never go offroading in this vehicle.

89yj, 2ktj, 2004 Rubicon, 2009 Rubicon unlimited, 2016 Willy's unlimited

And I'm back after a short hiatus....pick up a new 2016 Willy's unlimited on Tuesday. I was really pushing for a Rubicon but just couldn't justify the extra cost when I'll probably never go offloading in this vehicle.

89yj, 2ktj, 2004 Rubicon, 2009 Rubicon unlimited, 2016 Willy's unlimited
Congrats. Awesome. 

Struggling to decide between these and this Golden Eagle:

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/4323/1978-jeep-cj-7

I love the black one above, but as my wife notes it's a bit more modernized looking; this Golden Eagle is more classic looking.

I do love the fact that the maroon one above has a big V8 pulled out of a Chevy truck, with probably a bunch more horsepower.  Then again, I ain't racing in this thing.  I'm driving slow, two miles to the supermarket and liquor store, cruising and smoking a stogie and listening to The Bridge on SiriusXM.  So really, I don't need horsepower.

Just so psyched to pick one of these up for the summer season. :banned:

I love the black one above, but as my wife notes it's a bit more modernized looking; this Golden Eagle is more classic looking.

I do love the fact that the maroon one above has a big V8 pulled out of a Chevy truck, with probably a bunch more horsepower.  Then again, I ain't racing in this thing.  I'm driving slow, two miles to the supermarket and liquor store, cruising and smoking a stogie and listening to The Bridge on SiriusXM.  So really, I don't need horsepower.

Am I crazy, or don't you already have a Jeep?  Could have sworn you bought one a year or so ago.  

Golden Eagle for the win.  That baby is sweeeet!  

Am I crazy, or don't you already have a Jeep?  Could have sworn you bought one a year or so ago.  

Golden Eagle for the win.  That baby is sweeeet!  
Traded in for a Q7 backup family car a few months ago. But with Mrs. O blessing for me to get a replacement toy Jeep. Always wanted one of these classic restored CJ7s. 

Mine is going up for sale in the next week or so, officially. :cry:

Just can't justify keeping it around given how little I drive it. New engine too... blah. 

Mine is going up for sale in the next week or so, officially. :cry:

Just can't justify keeping it around given how little I drive it. New engine too... blah. 
Crud man! That sucks! Next you'll tell us you're giving up Bourbon and switching to Bud Light.

Otis said:

Keep an eye on this site.  They get some beautiful rigs.

http://collinsbrosjeep.com/cj-5-7-8/

My problem is a 2 car garage.  I dont want to park one outside in the rain etc with the top down all summer.

Looks great, but going from a JK to a CJ is going to be challenging.  
Yikes. Tell me more. You mean just comfort/handling/etc?  This will be a third car, garaged year round and just a toy for tinkering around with/cruising around locally on the weekends. Pretty sure I won't even bother taking this the 30 min drive down to the beach. So I'm expecting something pretty Spartan, but curious to hear more from any CJ owners as to what I can expect here...... 

thx. 

Found a nice black CJ-8 Scrambler on CL.  Been exchanging e-mails with the owner.  Very tempted to pull trigger.  Feels like a decent deal.  Scheduled a mobile mechanic to go by and inspect. :popcorn:

This is a bad ###, sweet restoration.  Stupid question -- I've never seen a propane-fueled car before -- how many miles do you get out of that tank?  and where the hell do you go to refill it?!  Do regular car gas stations refill propane???  Do I have to go to the place where I swap propane tanks for my grill??  wtf

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28954455

This is a bad ###, sweet restoration.  Stupid question -- I've never seen a propane-fueled car before -- how many miles do you get out of that tank?  and where the hell do you go to refill it?!  Do regular car gas stations refill propane???  Do I have to go to the place where I swap propane tanks for my grill??  wtf

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28954455
Why would you ever want to complicate things by going propane.  You'll burn almost 2 times the amount of propane as gasoline.  A pressurized tank of propane is not what I'd want to have in my vehicle in the event of an accident.  It's going to be a PITA to keep full.  K.I.S.S.

New Jeep JL coming soon. The pics and writeups sound great. Can't wait for the official release. Likely going to buy one once they're out. 

Sounds like they'll be revealed in July and hit dealerships starting in September.  

:popcorn:  

Users who are viewing this thread