Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, sbonomo said:

Don't get the scout...parts are way too hard to find.  Bronco's are great, so many interchangeable platforms to go with. IMO keep it simple with a carb and four speed.  there is a cool conversion where you can easily put a running gear from a new model (truck or similar) so that you have fuel injected and an automatic but this is too easy. 

Love the Broncos but a nicely restored one costs a FORTUNE.  Seriously. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-25/vintage-ford-broncos-are-more-expensive-than-ever

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sbonomo said:

Jesus..that is over priced by about 20K.  If you really want a scout get a WestCoast based version - you can find them for 25% of that price in LA/SD. 

Link?   I call bull#### on that being overpriced by 20k.  You can't find them at all under 10k unless they don't run.  A mediocre one in decent running condition is 12k. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MarvinTScamper said:

Link?   I call bull#### on that being overpriced by 20k.  You can't find them at all under 10k unless they don't run.  A mediocre one in decent running condition is 12k. 

This.  And this isn't just a NYC thing.  I've been staring at nationwide Craigslist postings for a couple weeks, as well as those for sale in all the major classics dealerships. 

For instance, here's a really rare one I also love, but that's just getting too pricy for my blood:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout-ii/1928720.html

Edited by Otis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This segment is booming and will continue to be.  I was looking at Broncos a few years ago and wish I'd have bought one then.  Surely would have made money on it by now.  

I'm thinking the Blazers and Scouts from that period will head in the same direction. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always loved Scouts.  A 77 Scout II Traveler was almost my 1st car, but the damn dealer sold it out from under my deposit.  These days not sure I would buy one but if I happened across one of them with the Nissan Diesel in it I might be very tempted. Or maybe an SSII. But pretty sure I would steer clear of any of them with the IH or AMC engines.  Not that they were bad but I can't imagine knowledge or parts are very common today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Otis said:

This.  And this isn't just a NYC thing.  I've been staring at nationwide Craigslist postings for a couple weeks, as well as those for sale in all the major classics dealerships. 

For instance, here's a really rare one I also love, but that's just getting too pricy for my blood:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout-ii/1928720.html

2 things. 

1) if you're looking on Hemmings, it's going to be expensive

2) buy the other one you liked.  It's awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Otis said:

The one thing I really dig about a scout is nobody knows wtf it is. It's a piece of history and nobody else is likely to have one. That's pretty cool to me. :shrug: 

My old YJ was the best of both worlds, wrangler body with scout D44 axles

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Otis said:

This segment is booming and will continue to be.  I was looking at Broncos a few years ago and wish I'd have bought one then.  Surely would have made money on it by now.  

I'm thinking the Blazers and Scouts from that period will head in the same direction. 

My second vehicle was a 1966 bronco - I really miss that truck.  I wish I would have never sold it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MarvinTScamper said:

Link?   I call bull#### on that being overpriced by 20k.  You can't find them at all under 10k unless they don't run.  A mediocre one in decent running condition is 12k. 

I will find some this weekend.  My cousins are in a "scout club" - they all own at least two (parts are hard to find).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, sbonomo said:

I will find some this weekend.  My cousins are in a "scout club" - they all own at least two (parts are hard to find).

The parts part I don't have any expertise on since I don't own one.  My buddy has a sweet one, and he'd sell it for 10-12k but it's original, not modified or updates.   He said he has loved owning it.  Wants something else now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, sbonomo said:

I will find some this weekend.  My cousins are in a "scout club" - they all own at least two (parts are hard to find).

I've literally looked at 50+ Scout listings in the past couple of weeks.  No way are you going to find a nice one for the prices you're talking about.  Unrestored bombs with rust, maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Technology is a good thing.  A 77 Scout is like trading in your Playstation4 for an Atari.  Reliving PacMan is fun for 10 minutes or so, but then you want you Call of Duty and Madden 2017 back.  

You didn't read the listing.  It's a '79 Scout, and a complete frame-off restoration, somewhat more modern drivetrain, and a lot more modern interior.  Looks clean as a whistle.

Also it's not a daily driver, and we're not giving up a vehicle.  It's a weekend toy, for the nice Spring and Summer days, and otherwise will be garaged.  I'll put 2k miles per year on it at most, probably a bunch less.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

You didn't read the listing.  It's a '79 Scout, and a complete frame-off restoration, somewhat more modern drivetrain, and a lot more modern interior.  Looks clean as a whistle.

Also it's not a daily driver, and we're not giving up a vehicle.  It's a weekend toy, for the nice Spring and Summer days, and otherwise will be garaged.  I'll put 2k miles per year on it at most, probably a bunch less.

 

Enjoy.  Pic 6 doesn't look modern to me, but I'm admittedly a big fan of the comforts of modern life.  I loved my '94 Wrangler when I had it from '03-'06, but even then the early 90s lack of tech was annoying.  Cars have advanced so much in the last decade both in interior amenities and overall ride.

But as a 3rd vehicle, you may be far less annoyed.  Have fun!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Technology is a good thing.  A 77 Scout is like trading in your Playstation4 for an Atari.  Reliving PacMan is fun for 10 minutes or so, but then you want you Call of Duty and Madden 2017 back.  

Yeah, you should just buy a new Lexus SUV, Oats. That thing will have lane departure warnings and parking assist. You think that old Scout has Bluetooth???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sbonomo said:

I will find some this weekend.  My cousins are in a "scout club" - they all own at least two (parts are hard to find).

That's great that your cousins are in a scout club and have "at least" 2 parts trucks.  How about a link to those deals in CA?  I'm sure Otis could have the thing shipped east and have enough left for some nice Cuban cigars, and a few spare parts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Yeah, you should just buy a new Lexus SUV, Oats. That thing will have lane departure warnings and parking assist. You think that old Scout has Bluetooth???

Odds much higher that a Lexus SUV rather than this Scout will be in Oat man's garage in 3-4 years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, squidrope said:

That's great that your cousins are in a scout club and have "at least" 2 parts trucks.  How about a link to those deals in CA?  I'm sure Otis could have the thing shipped east and have enough left for some nice Cuban cigars, and a few spare parts. 

This.  He's nuts.  Way way off base.  I could post a dozen links to prove him wrong, but it's a waste of time.

15k gets you an old, unrestored one in decent shape.  25k for a complete frame off restoration?  That's a solid deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Odds much higher that a Lexus SUV rather than this Scout will be in Oat man's garage in 3-4 years.  

We have a 2016 Yukon Denali and 2017 Audi Q7 in our driveway.  I don't need any more family SUVs kthx.   This one's for old Oats.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

We have a 2016 Yukon Denali and 2017 Audi Q7 in our driveway.  I don't need any more family SUVs kthx.   This one's for old Oats.

In 3-4 years the Yukon will be ~ 5 years old...time for a trade in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Not very excited about Jeep bringing MySky to the Wrangler.  Half the point of a Jeep is the ability to take the entire roof off.  

I don't have a major issue with it, as long as it's an option and doesn't preclude getting a traditional soft top. I can't imagine ever getting it though, unless old age catches up to me someday to the point where I can't get the soft top on and off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, sbonomo said:

Jesus..that is over priced by about 20K.  If you really want a scout get a WestCoast based version - you can find them for 25% of that price in LA/SD. 

Still looking forward to your links to decent 8k Scouts.

Based on my research, this is what about $14k gets you: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout-ii/1919463.html

(And it's not just Hemmings pricing -- similar unrestored owes all over CL for this 12-15k range).  You can get a rusted out piece of garbage, which may or may not be running, for 6k.  Put 15k of restoration work into it over the course of a year and you could end up with a nice restomod when all is said and done for 20-25k (not super high end, but decent -- high end/show car finishes, or highly collectible examples, probably put you at 40k and up).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Otis said:

Still looking forward to your links to decent 8k Scouts.

Based on my research, this is what about $14k gets you: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout-ii/1919463.html

(And it's not just Hemmings pricing -- similar unrestored owes all over CL for this 12-15k range).  You can get a rusted out piece of garbage, which may or may not be running, for 6k.  Put 15k of restoration work into it over the course of a year and you could end up with a nice restomod when all is said and done for 20-25k (not super high end, but decent -- high end/show car finishes, or highly collectible examples, probably put you at 40k and up).

Yep.

e.g.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/6068489264.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the one right above me is from minny i would not buy an older truck that has been up in this area for a while it is going to have dealt with a lot of salt if it was winter driven at all and even if the rebuild looks nice now who knows what leeches out in a couple of years you want to look south and make sure it was a southern car in my opinion southwest would be my first pick no salt and dry air is good stuff for metal but thats just me talking also how many of you all do work on your trucks versus taking them in for work i think that matters if you are getting a fixrupper you better know what the hell you are about and have a placeand the tools to getrdun or it will end up being something you sell with the line about i just didnt have time to get this one done someone else should enjoy it blah blah blah i am not saying not doing work is bad i am just saying be honest if you arent a mechanic then get one move in ready that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SWC said:

the one right above me is from minny i would not buy an older truck that has been up in this area for a while it is going to have dealt with a lot of salt if it was winter driven at all and even if the rebuild looks nice now who knows what leeches out in a couple of years you want to look south and make sure it was a southern car in my opinion southwest would be my first pick no salt and dry air is good stuff for metal but thats just me talking also how many of you all do work on your trucks versus taking them in for work i think that matters if you are getting a fixrupper you better know what the hell you are about and have a placeand the tools to getrdun or it will end up being something you sell with the line about i just didnt have time to get this one done someone else should enjoy it blah blah blah i am not saying not doing work is bad i am just saying be honest if you arent a mechanic then get one move in ready that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 

that's the point I was making.   The argument was that you can find them for $10k.  That's a ####ty, winter car for $20k.   I wouldn't touch that one either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wednesday morning my Jeep Club president passed away... heart failure at 39 years old. Was legitimately one of the best guys I'd ever met.

The shockwaves through the regional offroading community were pretty significant. He loved a good Jeep convoy (we line up and ride together to runs and whatnot) so we put word out that we were getting one together for the ride to his funeral yesterday.

Turnout was incredible.

We had multiple police vehicles involved in the escort blocking traffic at every intersection. The convoy extended for miles. It was a phenomenal tribute. The wife, brother, and family raved about how much he loved the club. He was put in the ground in a Midsouth Jeep Club T shirt with club badge decals on his casket. Everyone was told to wear MSJ shirts/hoodies to the funeral, and did.

Standing around with some of the original/founding members we were kinda shocked about what our campfire conversation 11 years ago has evolved into. I'm still kinda in shock at the loss of my buddy... but was extraordinarily proud of the send off our club gave him. I've honestly never seen anything quite like it. 


 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Scout purchased :thumbup: 

 

It's not a Jeep, but Jeep-ish.  If I don't like it, I may eventually trade my way into a Jeep JL.  But for now, it looks pretty bad ###, and like exactly what I'm looking for.

OT

Glad you bought it.  Even if you only keep is as long as the rest of the stuff I've watched you talk about, you'll enjoy the hell out of a completely ready to go, badass ride.

While I'm here, I need some answers from you experts.....

the things I HAVE to have on whatever I end up with here, but appear hard to add/replace without significant cost are:

heated leather seats

automatic climate control settings

"Freedom" hard top roof

side airbags would be a great option, don't see them much on Jeeps out there

The rest of the stuff that I want, seem to be easily aftermarketed - - so, what's the best brand/option for the following:

NAV/satellite radio/bluetooth 

soft top

wheels/tires

brush bar

winch

light bar

running boards - if not on the one I buy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MarvinTScamper said:

Glad you bought it.  Even if you only keep is as long as the rest of the stuff I've watched you talk about, you'll enjoy the hell out of a completely ready to go, badass ride.

While I'm here, I need some answers from you experts.....

the things I HAVE to have on whatever I end up with here, but appear hard to add/replace without significant cost are:

heated leather seats

automatic climate control settings

"Freedom" hard top roof

side airbags would be a great option, don't see them much on Jeeps out there

The rest of the stuff that I want, seem to be easily aftermarketed - - so, what's the best brand/option for the following:

NAV/satellite radio/bluetooth 

soft top

wheels/tires

brush bar

winch

light bar

running boards - if not on the one I buy

welp, the one I went to drive today was the one.  2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.  It had every option I wanted, low miles (24k), and was cheap (31k)

Now I need wheels/tires (don't like the brushed stainless ones it had), and get headlights/brush bar/winch/soft top

please advice

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MarvinTScamper said:

welp, the one I went to drive today was the one.  2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.  It had every option I wanted, low miles (24k), and was cheap (31k)

Now I need wheels/tires (don't like the brushed stainless ones it had), and get headlights/brush bar/winch/soft top

please advice

Check out wranglerforum.com

You'll get plenty of ideas and input on any aftermarket mod you can think of.

Wheels are pretty much personal preference.  If you plan to go off road a bunch, consider bead locks. I got them and they're great for airing down for the trail and perfectly fine on the road.  They do require some  extra maintenance.

Tires depends again on use.  For off-road, I got mud terrains, but all terrains are a good compromise.  I have Nitto Trail Grapplers.  Oh, and if you want a bigger tire, you may need to lift it.  I've got a 2.5" MetalCloak lift to clear 35s.  There are cheaper lifts, but spend the money to go with a reputable manufacturer.  Go cheap on a rough country lift, for example, and it will ride just like the name says.

For soft tops, I think you have two options.  90% of people go with bestop, but I gambled on the Off Road Heroes top and love it.  Small company in Canada. The guy does good work, but he's notorious for being really slow, so put on your patient pants if you go that route.

Have fun!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had never seen a Scout in person before on the road; today sitting streetside in Austin and some dude drives by in one, top off, smoking a stogie, doing exactly what Oats will be doing in his.  :can't wait:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Otis said:

Had never seen a Scout in person before on the road; today sitting streetside in Austin and some dude drives by in one, top off, smoking a stogie, doing exactly what Oats will be doing in his.  :can't wait:  

So funny how many you see of the vehicle you just bought

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Had never seen a Scout in person before on the road; today sitting streetside in Austin and some dude drives by in one, top off, smoking a stogie, doing exactly what Oats will be doing in his.  :can't wait:  

Enjoy it Oats.  Good for you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...