What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

,Jun 2 2006, 11:00 AM]WHY JEEPS ARE BADASS

Anyone here seen Tracy's roll?

:eek: The VERY top? That is amazing that they survived!

I'm constantly amazed at how untalented some off road drivers are. Techniques that I mark down as commen sense seem to allude them.

Hey Icon, that jeep looks pretty nice but I definately wouldn't pay what he is asking. Keep looking. Also, keep in mind that the Sahara's are really over priced and have a lot of plastic on them.

As for the pumpkin, the jeeps all came with Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front since 1987, unless it is a Rubicon or has aftermarket 44's. The 35's and 30's are junk if you are going to do any hard core wheeling. I destroyed the 35 in my 88 Wrangler doing some minor wheeling. If you are just planning to occasionally play in the dirt and drive on the high way alot, the stock stuff will be just fine.
This is not true. The D44 was an option on the sport, sahara, and I think the X. It was not standard, but you could get it from the factory that way.

Icon, one note about M/T tires. They aren't all that great on wet pavement.

I just put a set of Firestone Destination M/Ts on mine, but its not a daily driver.

I'll have to snap some pictures of mine and post them.

I am a huge fan of the Firestone Destination... I just put LEs on mine - but I came the proverbial "this close" to going with the Destination AT

Hey Icon, that jeep looks pretty nice but I definately wouldn't pay what he is asking. Keep looking. Also, keep in mind that the Sahara's are really over priced and have a lot of plastic on them.

As for the pumpkin, the jeeps all came with Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front since 1987, unless it is a Rubicon or has aftermarket 44's. The 35's and 30's are junk if you are going to do any hard core wheeling. I destroyed the 35 in my 88 Wrangler doing some minor wheeling. If you are just planning to occasionally play in the dirt and drive on the high way alot, the stock stuff will be just fine.
This is not true. The D44 was an option on the sport, sahara, and I think the X. It was not standard, but you could get it from the factory that way.
OK, if you custom ordered your jeep that way. The X is NOT a D44 option jeep. The sahara and sport are but I have never, in 12 years of jeeping, seen a factory option D44 sahara. The chances of finding one are slim to zero. If you are getting a sahara, chances are you aren't going to need a D44 to cruise around the mall.

I just put a set of Firestone Destination M/Ts on mine, but its not a daily driver.

I have 35 inch Goodyear MTR and I have no problem at all on wet pavement or any terrain imaginable. Again, if you didn't catch the link to my jeep, it is here...

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/T...hs-Album?page=1

BOUGHT ONE

(pretty much)

Sorry for the cameraphone pics...

Front Quarter >

Back Quarter Panel >

Side Shot >

Interior >

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport

83,000 miles (never been seriously offroad)

Tires/LIft added at 60k miles

A/C - Auto / 4.0L I6 Engine

Fog Lamps

33" BF Goodrich Tires (tons of tread left)

3" BODY Lift (downside)

CD / Soundbar

Neoprene Seat Covers

Tow Package

Running Bars

Sliding Glass Front Windows (pass & driver)

2yr old Rubicon Soft Top in Mint Condition

Downside:

• 3" Body lift allows for a bit of float... will eventually step down to 1" Body lift and install a 3" suspension lift

• Key stuck in ignition ($50-$150 to get fixed)

• 33" tires too big for body lift - slightrubbing on inside at absolute extreme of turning radius LINK

$8800 cost.... NADA Value = $12,600

He's holding it (Deposit) and we're picking it up at 7:30am tomm to get inspected for major issues at jeep dealership. Barring any (I don't see any at this point) I'll be driving it home tommorrow afternoon.

:pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:

I have them on my truck. Quiet compared to tires of similar tread pattern, awesome in snow, but you're right about wet pavement...a little squirrely if you drive aggressively.

]BOUGHT ONE
nice - congrats. My last one was a '99Take the spare tire cover off and inspect the spare... make sure you get the lock for it if there is one, and that the tire is not all but wasted.

Those are nice floormats.

,Jun 2 2006, 03:10 PM]BOUGHT ONE
nice - congrats. My last one was a '99Take the spare tire cover off and inspect the spare... make sure you get the lock for it if there is one, and that the tire is not all but wasted.

Those are nice floormats.
Good points. Thanks! :thumbup:

Please take that 3" body lift off ASAP. Seeing the body so far above the frame that jeep is, well... :X

Otherwise, :thumbup:

Congrats. I am very envious. I just asked informed my wife that I want to get one if I sell my Pathfinder.

Please take that 3" body lift off ASAP. Seeing the body so far above the frame that jeep is, well... :X

Otherwise, :thumbup:
Agreed. That AND it's pretty damn unstable/floaty. Will be going with a 3-4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift to esure clearance on the 33" tires.

Hoping to do that next month.

OK, if you custom ordered your jeep that way. The X is NOT a D44 option jeep. The sahara and sport are but I have never, in 12 years of jeeping, seen a factory option D44 sahara. The chances of finding one are slim to zero. If you are getting a sahara, chances are you aren't going to need a D44 to cruise around the mall.
My mistake. The X doesn't have it as an option. So, if you knew that the sport and the sahara were available, why did you say that they wouldn't unless it was aftermarket?

Congrats icon. Now get those body spacers out. Ask the owner if he put any spacers on the trans case.

Also, you might want to grab some bumper endcaps for the the 2006 (I think it was the sport or X). They are not the giant milk jug style. They are about $3 a piece and give it more of a rock bumper look. I see the former owner already took the old ones off.

Now get over to jeepforums and let the obsession begin! :thumbup:

Congrats icon. Now get those body spacers out. Ask the owner if he put any spacers on the trans case.

Also, you might want to grab some bumper endcaps for the the 2006 (I think it was the sport or X). They are not the giant milk jug style. They are about $3 a piece and give it more of a rock bumper look. I see the former owner already took the old ones off.

Now get over to jeepforums and let the obsession begin! :thumbup:
Already registered as msavard... :thumbup: one hell of a jeep community over there.

Thanks for the pointers on hte end caps... agreed the existing ones don't look as good

,Jun 2 2006, 11:00 AM]WHY JEEPS ARE BADASS

Anyone here seen Tracy's roll?

:yes: I was camped to the left of the hill (if you're looking from the bottom of the trail up) - the Jeep rolled right. The only thing that saved them was that about halfway down, the Jeep got wedged in a fissure in the cliff or something which kept them from dropping all the way and impacting the ground. Even with that, they were pretty mangled, they had to fly helicopters in to airlift them to a hospital in Colorado. Kind of ruined the party vibe that was going on.

My mistake. The X doesn't have it as an option. So, if you knew that the sport and the sahara were available, why did you say that they wouldn't unless it was aftermarket?
My mistake. Still, to this day, I have never seen a sahara or sport with that option. I asked some of my other jeep friends and they didn't think it was an option either. I looked it up on the jeep site to confirm. Sahara's are jeeps for people who don't like to get dirty.

Nice looking jeep, couple of things I didn't like.....the steps on the side have got to go. If you went wheeling with those, they would cause some major problems. Same with that bumper thingy hanging down.

All in all, I think you did really well for yourself on that one.

Here is the address to the jeep site I am on-------> www.ecoyne.com

If you ever need any real advice or help there are some great guys on there. There are also people you can hook up with to take you out to wheel and such and there are always people selling jeep parts on there. Great group of people, no smartasses like on here, mostly nice helpful people.

Nice looking jeep, couple of things I didn't like.....the steps on the side have got to go. If you went wheeling with those, they would cause some major problems. Same with that bumper thingy hanging down.

All in all, I think you did really well for yourself on that one.

Here is the address to the jeep site I am on-------> www.ecoyne.com

If you ever need any real advice or help there are some great guys on there. There are also people you can hook up with to take you out to wheel and such and there are always people selling jeep parts on there. Great group of people, no smartasses like on here, mostly nice helpful people.
:thumbup: Agreed... there are mods that need to be made. All in good time.

About to go pick the thing up now.... I feel like a ####### kid on christmas morning.

Music selected for the ride back (top down):

Dire Straits (greatest hits)

Smashing Pumpkins Gish

U2 (greatest hits)

Temple of the dog

Pearl Jam - Live Nashville

Paul Simon - Graceland

311 - Live

:pickle:

SEe you guys in a few hours

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Went to pick up the 99TJ in the pics and took it to the dealership to get it looked at. Turns out the service manager is a guy I play cards with once a week. Who knew!

He fires up the jeep and immediately informs me it needs a new exhaust manifold (800-900 bucks). Then the thing goes on the lift and the real fun begins:

• Rust in coolant

• Rear Diff leaking

• Couple other leaks

• Biggest problem: When up on the racks the axle seems to be off center or bent as the left tire is rubbing on the springs (not when the truck is down) and hte right tire is quite far away).

Needless to say I DIDN'T buy the jeep, I returned it to the guy and included the shop writeup of what was wrong for his reference.

I then drove 2.25 hrs to Henderson TN just south of Jackson to look at a 04 TJ Sport that they had on their lot. It was under priced at 15.995 and had been there since DEC 05. Not sure what was wrong but the Dealer insisted it was in great condition. I was skeptical but went out to check it out.

Got there and took one look at this thing inside and out and fell in love. Bright Yellow with black hardtop. The entire ride was IMMACULATE. Not as in "well detailed" immaculate. I'm talking "new car" immaculate. There was NO wear and tear on this vehicle. The engine looked brand new, the interior looked brand new.... hell, when I opened the back gate there was a folded up soft top that was STILL IN THE WRAPPER :eek: :excited: .

The two "problems" I've found so far are:

• Slight tear in driver side weatherstripping

• Slight abrasion on passenger side door mirror.

• Tire wear (needs rubber)

Knowing that the NADA values for this exact ride are:

Avg Trade In : $17,100

Avg Retail: $19,995

I wasn't expecting to get them off their price of $15,995 but figured it was worth a shot. After some shrewd negotiating we settled on $14,995 for this beauty. Sold.

Will upload pictures later today...

NEEDS/WANTS:

• Tires (Currently on 30s..torn between 31s and 32s) - $450

• Lift (getting a 1" body and a 2" BB Suspension lift - $300 total

• Window kit for soft top (somehow windows didn't come with?) - $200

• Neoprene seat covers - $125

Congrats icon

You really jumped around on what type of Jeep you wanted year price range. But I hope you found the one that will work for you.

Now go find some mud. !!!

Congrats icon

You really jumped around on what type of Jeep you wanted year price range. But I hope you found the one that will work for you.

Now go find some mud. !!!
To be honest I was really just looking for value in the 20k-80k mileage range. I did bounce around a bit on specific jeeps as there were a few times where I fiound what I thought to be a great deal, only to find problems with it, or finding that they weren't willing to negotiate much as dealers can't keep them on the lots around here. They're pretty much able to pick their prices.

Driving a good 1h45m out into BFE tennesseee netted a much better deal. :yes:

Turns out there is a pretty sweet trail about 3 mins from my house, so I'll be heading out there as soon as I get my new tires in. Not too keen on rolling into the mud with half bald back tires :)

It's been mentioned before - but check out the Firestone Destinations - great reviews - better price.

www.tirerack.com

FINAL PICS

Front Quarter 1 >

Front Quarter 2 >

Head On >

Profile - Side Shot >

Back Quarter >

Inside Shot >

Driver's Side View >

Center Dash Console >

Clean ### Engine (for now) >

Back Seat >

Sound Bar (pretty damn good sound) >

Rearview Mirror - Nice Touch >

What package/feature is the compass/themo mirror from? This was the only jeep I had seen that in. Really like that feature.

Anyways.. it needs bigger rubber and a bit of a lift to start..... then some running bars, a new front bumper, and neoprene seat covers, Might rhinoline the floor as well. Very much a work in progress now . :thumbup:

Congrats on the Jeep.

I did notice something though when talking about the other Jeep. You said that you're going to find the tire rub on extreme turns. The only way to fix it (to my knowledge anyway) is either to lift it higher than you normally would (asthetically w/ the wheel well) or to install wheel stops (cutting down on that turning radius).

I'd much rather have that extra radius if it were needed with the rub, but just be aware not to hit it most of the time.

Mine rub... I thought it was going to be something that got on my nerves as well when I got it, but I don't even think about it anymore.

Congrats on the Jeep.

I did notice something though when talking about the other Jeep. You said that you're going to find the tire rub on extreme turns. The only way to fix it (to my knowledge anyway) is either to lift it higher than you normally would (asthetically w/ the wheel well) or to install wheel stops (cutting down on that turning radius).

I'd much rather have that extra radius if it were needed with the rub, but just be aware not to hit it most of the time.

Mine rub... I thought it was going to be something that got on my nerves as well when I got it, but I don't even think about it anymore.
Found out from the Jeep forums how to avoid the rub.... new wheels wiht more backspacing. If your wheels are rubbing look for some aftermarket steel rims (cheap at $40ea) that have 4.5 or 4" of backspacing. This moves your wheel farther out on the axle, eliminating tire rub. The new-ish jeep I just got (04) was pretty much un-modded so I don't have that concern.. jsut stuck with 31x10.50 tires to avoid the rub. Will install a 2" REBB Lift then a 1" Body Lift... After that I'll bel able to move up to 32" 11.50s without rub. If I go 12.50 anything, however, I'll need to look into some aftermarket wheels with more backspacing.

It's been mentioned before - but check out the Firestone Destinations - great reviews - better price.

www.tirerack.com
I've got the the M/T's on my heep. Haven't really tested them on anything serious, but I like them so far.

]
Congrats on the Jeep. 

I did notice something though when talking about the other Jeep.  You said that you're going to find the tire rub on extreme turns.  The only way to fix it (to my knowledge anyway) is either to lift it higher than you normally would (asthetically w/ the wheel well) or to install wheel stops (cutting down on that turning radius).

Found out from the Jeep forums how to avoid the rub.... new wheels wiht more backspacing. If your wheels are rubbing look for some aftermarket steel rims (cheap at $40ea) that have 4.5 or 4" of backspacing. This moves your wheel farther out on the axle, eliminating tire rub. The new-ish jeep I just got (04) was pretty much un-modded so I don't have that concern.. jsut stuck with 31x10.50 tires to avoid the rub. Will install a 2" REBB Lift then a 1" Body Lift... After that I'll bel able to move up to 32" 11.50s without rub. If I go 12.50 anything, however, I'll need to look into some aftermarket wheels with more backspacing.
You could still get rub with the REBB and 31's. I get just a little. I haven't adjusted the steering stops yet, but even without cranking it all the way, I can turn on a dime. Got to love the SWB for that ....

You could still get rub with the REBB and 31's. I get just a little. I haven't adjusted the steering stops yet, but even without cranking it all the way, I can turn on a dime. Got to love the SWB for that ....
Really? Wow... what width are your 31s though? Seeems the concensus on the jeepfourm is that you can even run up to 31"x10.50 on stock wheels (I have the canyons) with no rub... even without a lift (as long as your sway bar is not disconnected). :confused: I have zero lift right now but will be adding the BB in the next few weeks.

Just got back from popping her Cherry on some local trails straight from getting the new 31's mounted up.

Wow... this thing will climb just about anything :excited:

She performed incredibly well... with zero lift I still failed to bottom out at all. Several steep climbs and decents pushed the limits of the approach/departure angles with no issues. It wasn't exactly telico, but it was some pretty decent terrain.

Almost lost my left eye in a extremely tight patch where a branch whipped off the windshield and popped me about 1/2" below my left pupil hard enough to break the skin nicely. Didn't see it because I was trying to control a slide into a rut that almost carried my front end into a tree. :topcat: :bag:

Snapped a few shots showing the limited articulation of the stock suspension as well as some of the climbing/decending.

Will be hitting the trails again soon.. damn good times out there :thumbup:

Which 4WD do you have? Selec-trac?
From my DC Build Sheet:4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE Transmission

Lock-Up Torque Converter

Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle

3.73 Axle Ratio

Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle

4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine

Wish I had a D44 with 4.11 gears but this will do until I snap the 35.

[

For those who care... I have my first "upgrade" in place...

Picked up some 31" x 10.50 tires (AT Tread) from High Tec Retreading for $60ea. Ended up with Goodyear Wrangler and couldn't be happier. They are relatively quiet on the highway but grip GREAT when off road.

SIde View >

Tread Shot >

I think it looks better >

Unfortunately the stock suspension doesn't include a whole lot of articulation so the next step is a 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost and some Sway Bar DIscos (quick disconnects).

With even a 2" lift and the sway bars disconnected I should be able to get roughly this much articulation.

(note that is NOT me or my jeep in that pic, but a simllarly equipped one).For t

]For those who care... I have my first "upgrade" in place...

Picked up some 31" x 10.50 tires (AT Tread) from High Tec Retreading for $60ea. Ended up with Goodyear Wrangler and couldn't be happier. They are relatively quiet on the highway but grip GREAT when off road.

SIde View >

Tread Shot >

I think it looks better >

Unfortunately the stock suspension doesn't include a whole lot of articulation so the next step is a 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost and some Sway Bar DIscos (quick disconnects).

With even a 2" lift and the sway bars disconnected I should be able to get roughly this much articulation.

(note that is NOT me or my jeep in that pic, but a simllarly equipped one).For t
Let me know when you get 35's on it. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread